User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 4)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 33 reviews 29 medications

6.8
Urinary Tract Infection 279 reviews 182 medications

4.9
Bladder Infection 152 reviews 81 medications

4.7
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 464 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid for a bladder infection. By 3rd day in med I developed a horrible dry cough. I stopped taking at that point. I am now on another antibiotic for an upper respiratory infection. I will be sure to never take Macrobid again"

lmbwife (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Nitro reduced the ITU symptoms in day 1, however I had a very annoying side effect: pain in my eyes. Every time I would look to the side my eyes would hurt very badly. Started on day 2 and I had to stop taking the medicine on day 3. I then took ciprofloxacine and everything went well."

PatriciaRN March 24, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this drug had blinding headache pain behind my muscles so week I could hardly move but the worst thing was pain in my chest and difficult breathing rang doctor said u may have flu saw him next day after stopping tacking itstill should no concern at all just seen another doctor said she was not not not aware of such side effects told her to go on this site I don't know how anyone with concern for there patients can prescribe this drug without warning them first do not take if u have bad chest. at all"

Meede March 21, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I got prescribed this to take every 6 hours for a week after getting my second ever UTI 2 weeks after trimethoprim cleared up my first. About an hour after taking it I get a bit nauseous, have a bit of a headache and feel a bit tired, but it's 100x better than having a UTI. Would take it again."

Emily1994 March 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I take 1 every 12 hrs, was given 10 pills & have 2 left & my uti symptoms are unchanged. It's only a slight infection & I only feel symptoms at night (which is odd). I have none of the other symptoms that people have stated in here. Kind of worrying if my uti will get worse."

tinamae1 March 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed with a UTI and the pain was unbearable! I am a 20 year old F and this is the first time I ever got a UTI. Not only was the pain horrible, but I also had blood in my urine. This medication worked really well for me! I took the first pill at night before bed and my pain decreased by like 70% !! By the end of the next day I was completely pain free but I still had to take this medication for 5 days, twice a day (100mg). The only thing is that if I took this on an empty stomach, I would get really nauseous. With food, I had minimal to no nausea. I did feel drowsy/ sleepy 45 minutes after taking this medication. I did not have a bad experience like the reviews so there is some good to this medication."

MarieleeL March 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking this tablet for three days now and symptoms have got worse . Pain on right side is still very sore and constant need to go to bathroom . Constant nausea . Flu like symptoms chills all over feel so exhausted depressed. I have a rash started on my face chest and back . I am only over the flu . I saw my doctor today and he has given me ceflacin . I would not recommend nurofanton to anyone it's horrendous ."

Anonymous March 18, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medicine for the first time last year and had no side effects. However, this time around I am feeling severe side effects. Dazed, diarrhea, light headache, extremely tired, and it's making me feel depressed! I am almost positive that if I call my Dr.'s office they will tell me to try and stick it out and finish the 7 day regimen so it can get rid of this UTI once and for all! Scary symptoms. If you are not one who can handle side effects very well I would stay away from this medicine!!!"

Anonymous March 17, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This antibiotic was complete hell. I took first dose within 2 hours I was dry heaving with an overall sick feeling. Before bed I took second dose woke up in the middle of the night with fever, chills, chest pain, pain when breathing and basically every flu like symptom. I called my dr and he saw me right away and did every test under the sun. I had a WBC count of over 20,000!!!! I was almost hospitalized and ended up having to get a shot of an antibiotic in my butt and was switched to Cipro. Never again !!!! Cipro from now on for me."

Caris24aa March 10, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I've taken Macrobid in the past, but I never noticed any side effects. This time, I felt very ill about two days in to a seven day regime. I had no idea what was wrong with me. My tongue felt numb, I got very lightheaded, and I felt like my life was draining out of me. I thought maybe I was developing a kidney infection, but I only had a low grade fever. I called my doctor, but she told me to only come in if my fever went over 100.5. I decided to see if Macrobid could have caused these symptoms and I stumbled across theses reviews. Wow! What an eye opener! I'm glad to know that it was the medicine and not some life-threatening illness. I'm glad the UTI is better, but it was scary when I thought I was about to die, lol."

Becky C (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "On the first day of the tablet I was perfectly fine, but the third day onwards was the worst. I had to take 4 a day for 7 days, and I did so, but the side effects were unbearable, I had back pains and gas in my stomach, but the worst was the nausea, they should definitely consider predcribing these tablets, they are the worst ones I have ever taken."

Ad3 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm 18 I got diagnosed with e.coli and this drug is clearing it up but I'm experiencing nausea fever fatigue and headaches.I take it 4 times a day for 7 days this drug Is horrible don't recommend it"

Shaun181 March 5, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I'm 11 weeks pregnant got prescribed this medication for UTI. even though I dont have it. ok. so took my first pill and felt the worst ever in my life. It's the worst drug I've ever taken. and I only took 1 pill instead of 2 . There is no way I'm taking this drug for 7 days"

NINa11 March 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I got a UTI maybe a couple days after my cycle ended and was trying to do home remedies, but my boss told me it's better to get antibiotics so I don't end up in the ER. I am on my third day of Macrobid and the only thing it really does is make me feel better, aside from using my energy to help me get better. So I really only feel fatigue, but I drink lots of water or things with Vitamin C, to help as well, and I take the capsule with bread. Other than the fatigue, it's dealing with my UTI so I can't complain."

lululuvscats February 26, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This was the worst thing I've ever taken. Within 15 minutes I started to get a cough. I got sicker from then on. Two hrs after dose I had a constant cough, pain in my chest, a fever, tremors and chills, muscle weakness, and a massive headache. I had to use the restroom and could hardly get there. On the way back to bed my legs just gave out under me. It took 12 hrs before my legs and arms worked right, about 14hrs for fever and It took 24 for my headache to subside. My chest is still sore. If I take a deep breath I will cough. I would not recommend this drug. My pharmacist and Drs office said that it sounds like I'm getting the flu because this drug doesn't do that. Read the side effects. It does it all!"

Allergic reaction February 26, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Felt suddenly spaced-out, sat down at my work desk and passed out. Luckily I was already in a hospital. A friend took this med and also passed out. She wasn't so lucky. She fell and suffered a concussion."

Graddo February 26, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "After two doses of this medication I was nauseated and developed a high fever. After six hours of going from couch to bed to try and seek comfort I eventually threw up. Stopped the drug immediately, Called the doctor and asked for an alternative. Unless you have a consistitution of steel. Stay way from this drug."

Cranberry juice February 26, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed 100 mg every 12 hours with food. I took it as directed. On the third day, I read horror stories on here and was really nervous to continue taking it. However, I did. It cleared up my UTI quickly, within 24 hrs. I experienced nausea, sore throat, coughing, fatigue.. but nothing extreme like some people on here. I stopped taking it on day 4/5 because I am a student and this week I had 3 exams and really could not afford to be sick. It made me feel crappy but nothing too crazy and it did its job in a timely manner. I wanted to share my story so people know it at least works sometimes."

Not awful February 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This drug is going on my "Do Not Prescribe" list. After a day and a half on it, the fatigue was so bad I could barely function. No one claimed to know anything about this side effect, but when I looked it up I kept seeing it happening to users again and again. It helped my UTI, but I couldn't get off the couch. I phoned my doctor and was switched to Cipro. After skipping my evening dose of Macrobid and taking Cipro instead, I felt almost normal the next day. Be very, very cautious about using this drug."

E.C. February 23, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm on it right now, it's my 3rd day out of 5 on it and even though it got rid of my UTI right away I have been feeling sick. I feel super nauseous at the moment and I can't get any sleep because I feel like I'm going to vomit, I feel bloated and have a tiny headache. I think this medication is way to strong for me, I would prefer taking something that gives me less side affects. Worst antibiotic I've ever taken."

Monique L February 22, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "symptoms: SEVERE abdominal pain, constipation, nausea, achey pain in back, fatigue, chills, sweating, headache, cough. i just finishd my last dose of macrobid and I believe it cleared up my UTI but these side effects are not worth it. The abdominal pain I have been having is so bad that it has woken me up from my sleep 3 nights in a row. I have the chills and because of the abdominal pain it is hard to eat. I also have terrible headaches that worsen with certain movements or lights. This pill is awful and I wish I would've known about these symptoms before starting."

---- (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "While this did clear up my infection, I would have much prefered a different drug. Was prescribed 50mg, four tablets to be taken per day, for three days. This made me feel incredibly nauseous, blurred my vision, made my eyes feel like they were rolling back into my head, basically made me feel "tripped out". I would wake up during the night after having taken my last one of the day and the walls would feel as though they were moving in on me. Overall, while effective, the experienced scared me."

luce96 February 17, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "It is effective but the nausea is too strong. I am unable to do anything for an hour because I'm hunched over in discomfort. Although I have never thrown up with the drug, I have come close to it. I recommend eating and then taking the drug. This seems to keep the nausea at bay. If I take it before I eat or take it on an empty stomach, I am in trouble."

SallyK765325 February 16, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took 1 pill woke up with rapid heartbeat 117 , chills, fever, head pressure, blood pressure high and nausea. It's been 4 hrs and heartbeat not back to normal. Beware, this is one bad drug"

horrible February 13, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I took this for my UTI it has worked on me but NITROFURANTOIN makes me pee a lot it also made me dizzy for the first couple of day but got through it."

Pixie_Lix February 13, 2016