User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 4)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 40 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Urinary Tract Infection 382 reviews 186 medications

Bladder Infection 190 reviews 82 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 612 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "i would experience urinary tract infections multiple times a year due to sexual intercourse. I would always make sure that my partner and I would both wash off before sexual intercourse to cut down on the spreading of bacteria which helped but I still suffered from frequent utis. My doctor then prescribed macrobid. I have had no negative side effects with or without food and I have had ZERO urinary tract infections for the past 9 months. This medicine has really increased my quality of life including my sex life. Definitely recommend!"

Anonymous November 17, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus. I have a complicated internal body structure. I have been very very tired and after reading the side effects I do believe taking nitrofurantoin is the whole cause. Three days and I'm on my last day of taking the drug. I am a resident of England and was born here so I'm not insured. I am a NHS patient."

Mrs H Metcalfe November 17, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Update on last message - after the Nitrofurantoin confusion, was about to take 2nd dose late at night when my throat tightened and lungs seemed short on air. Also neck palpitations, so decided no way was I taking 2nd dose. In morning GP prescribed different tablet - Trimethoprim - and feeling fine taking it."

sam60 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Okay so I've been having a UTI on and off for about a year. I did not read or know anything about this medication before taking it. I get migraines so I'm on metaprolol and this antibiotic did not trigger migraines or headaches. I was given an anti-nausea medication as I have been very nauseous (prior to antibiotics). I took this antibiotics without food and never experienced any negative or bad side effects. Ultimately would have been worth it but I still have burning with urination and so bad I cried so it was not worth it for me. Every UTI is different so I am saying that if the uti clears I recommend it even if there are side effects."

Ldf0123 November 15, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had suspected UTI (AGAIN!) for past 2 weeks. GP prescribed Nitrofurantoin today. Took one 50 g pill with dinner and water this evening but hours later am still feeling awful. Have sense of being spaced out and confused. have been sitting quietly, no tv, for hours as this was quite scary. Couldn't concentrate on tv or book. Don't know if I should continue with this and take 2nd pill, or just get usual alternative tomorrow, can't remember name of it. Any advice would be grateful thanks."

sam60 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Been taking this medication since last Mon,,,never ever felt so Ill in my whole life constant headache,,nausea,so lethargic,only two left to take,,I will never take these again,I have continued with them as Dr prescribed but yes uti has cleared,,,these tablets have severe side effects"

Ten pound note133 November 13, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I've been having repeat bladder/kidney infection... 5 in 4 mths.. have no idea the cause..being sent for kidney scan.My last lot of antibiotics ( currently) were these.. I got to day 4 and was hit with a high fever, uncontrollable shivering, every muscle in my body hurt, sore back & neck and thumping headache. took paracetamol and ibrofen and within 3 hours started to feel my temp come down. The next morning I read the side effects..OMG..I was experiencing most of them the wheezy breathing and cough now started. Because it's a Saturday and it says consultant your doctor if you experience any side effects. I've just stopped taking them... it was really scary. From reading the other comments I think it'll take 2 days to start to feel better."

Lisa Watson (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I have been prescribed Macrobid 3 times in the span of a year for UTIs. The first and second time I took Macrobid, I had no side effects at all. The third time I took it, I had a 101 fever within hours of the second dose, shallow breathing and cough, and diarrhea. My fingers were tingling too. I immediately stopped taking it and it's been not quite 2 days yet but the fever is going away. I'm going to have to look into natural remedies for UTIs now. I admit that I thought everyone else on here was "crazy" writing about their side effects when I had none...until it happened to me. Just because you didn't have any the first time doesn't mean you won't next time, like I did."

alsss November 11, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm on my 4th pill of Macrobid...ok the reviews here will scare the crap out of you but let me give you a few tips. I made sure my dr prescribed me Zofran so when I took the first pill ( be sure to take it with FOOD) I took a Zofran . I did feel nauseous for about 30 mins and felt a little woozy but it didn't last long ...took the 2nd pill with FOOD and got a headache but nothing horrible and had no other side effects ... By the time I took the third pill I had no side effects but I still took pill with food and zofran . Don't let the reviews scare you . I feel so much better after 4 pills as far as my infection and the more the pills get in your system the less severe the side effects should be. Zofran and food and you'll be good to go"

C Slate (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took 1 pill 50mg because I'm sensitive to medication. Within 2 hours, I itched everywhere. Took 25mg of Benadryl. Breathing is slightly labored as well. Dr reassured me I'd be okay. I'm limited to use of antibiotics due to severe allergic reactions. I feel nauseated and have a horrible headache. Was given this for kidney stones and high red blood cell count indicating unknown infection. I wish this would go away on its own ugh!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "So far so good. Im on my 2nd day. NO side effects..that I am aware of. I did sleep a little harder last night..lol. I just found this and read some of the other reviews, but I honestly haven't noticed anything real abnormal. This is my 1st time taking it. I am usually given bactrim for uti's because I am highly allergic to penicillin. I usually dont have fever or severe pain with a uti, but I think I have had one for a while now due to other uti symptoms. So i dont think bactrim has been working. I do not have a regular doctor (cant afford it), and I feel awful having to constantly go to the ER...only to end up STILL having a UTI. I just hope this finally gets rid of it. Im tired of spending $$ on antibiotics only for it to not work."

Tried&Tested November 3, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "If I had seen this site before taking Nitro, I'd have chosen to avoid it.. However I'm glad I didn't. I get UTI's without fail every time I have sex, sometimes I just got them for the sake of getting them, or drinking too many fizzy drinks, it got to the point it was almost constant. I thought I was just cursed and that there was no escape and was debating urethral dilation with my Urologist. However, he recommend I try this before going any further. It has changed my life. I have no side effects and am free of UTIs as long as I take a pill post coitus, the hassle of doing so doesn't phase me as it is nice to be able to enjoy my life with no risk of UTIs. I recommend this to everyone who struggled like I did."

Catsky (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was on holiday and prescribed these by the Dr at the walk in centre, after a week, I still have faint burning, still urinating frequently, cold/flu symptoms, headaches ( I rarely suffer with headaches) sharp pains in my stomach, and still feeling sick even after not taking them for 2 days. Back to my own Dr's tomorrow. This drug is horrid!!!!"

BethanyArcher October 30, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Ok gotta make a long story short.. My docter gave me bactrim for a uti and usually it works but this time it didnt. I was miserable so I went to urgent care they prescribed me macrobid 100 mg 2× daily. I read all the awful reviews and since my stomach is very sensitive and easily nausiated I immediatly was discouraged. I asked the pharmacist and she told me she had taken it and as long as you follow the instructions on the bottle that say take with food or milk I would be fine and she didnt have any symptoms. Soo I have been eating a good meal bf I take it and its been 3 days now and I woke up on the 3rd day and its like its gone and I could tell after the 1st day I was getting better. I was in pain for 6 day and this med was a blessing!!!"

Michelle8907 October 29, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been talking nitrofurantoin for 2 days and I have a severe stiff neck. Is this normal?"

Stiff neck and only taken for October 23, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I went to the doctor because of a slight UTI yesterday .... I took one dose of the medicine last night and felt nauseous and developed the worst migraine, I felt it all in my face and neck.. I took extra strength Tylenol and went to sleep. I woke up this morning perfectly fine and it was time for my 2nd dose.. in less than an hour I was soooo nauseous and weak and it feels like I have a lump in my throat. This feeling keeps coming and going. I called off from work because I'm afraid if I start moving too much then I might pass out or throw up. I normally never get side effects from medication but this one is different.. I don't recommend it at all"

Anonymous October 22, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was diagnosed with a UTI and kidney infections. They started me on Macrobid two days ago and yes, death on a doornail set in. When your body utilizes this drug to flush your system, it doesn't just run to your bladder and ta da! Your body handles this infection with all it's defenses so you SHOULD expect to feel really icky for about a week. I am floored at today's rush in society to get everything done right now or right away. Every body needs time to heal and recover. Allow yourself the precious gift of rest and recuperating it needs and unless you begin to spike fever or experience allergic reaction, hang in there and know it's okay to take some time off to nurture you."

PoDunkJunction (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "I don't know why this medication gets such terrible reviews. I'm taking 100mg twice a day, yellow and black pills - second time they've been prescribed to me and I've never had troubles. Mild gas, mild urgency to use the restroom, but nothing insane like heart racing or sweating. I slept like a baby after I took my first one and I'm about to take my second before my bed time now. I honestly didn't know I had a UTI till my doctor told me, but this is my second time and these pills have never given me an issue. Take them as instructed, with food (stay hydrated too), this medication works wonders. Antibiotics are some of the only drugs I take as I believe in holistic approaches, but this is one that makes me happy when I do have to take drugs."

Koddy101 (taken for less than 1 month) October 21, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "The first time I used this medication it was great. Just now I was prescribed Macrobid again. It took care of the bladder infection symptoms in two days. Next day fever was l04, headache, Fever high only one day. nausea, fatigue, high pulse (100), stomach pain, neck pain. muscle pain, lack of appetite. Stopped taking this med after 8 days and will never take it again."

Anicka October 20, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I had a pretty terrible UTI for 10 days and counting, the burning was only getting worse. The day i was going to take a trip to the clinic was the day that I woke up with a high fever and aches and pains in both sides of my body. I haven't experienced anything like it. My brother and sister decided to drive me to emergency in case it was an issue with my kidney. I was prescribed macrobid 100mg take 1 twice a day with a meal. Lots LOTS of water. I have never felt so cold and delirious in my life. I have a pounding headache, body is so achy (neck, chest, everything), my stomach has stabbing pains in all sides and upper abdomen. Most alarming, my breathing is feeling tight like from when I used to have asthma. The burning is gone though."

Momochkii October 20, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have suffered from frequent bouts of acute cystitis which have had me sitting on the toilet for hours in the middle of the night in tears. The only thing which works to clear the infection is nitrofurantoin. i find it works quickly and have never experienced any side effects other than my urine going slightly more bright yellow. I am writing this because the other reviews are very negetive and could easily stop people taking this drug. if i had read them i would probably not have taken the medication. i do not doubt that some people suffer very bad side affects but that applies to all medication. i would like to say that i really depend on this drug to cure my cystitis which would otherwise make my life very miserable.try them."

yoyuti? (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have taken this on 4 occasions over the last four years (50mg 4 times a day for 3 days) and was scared to take it on each occasion after reading some of the reviews form others. I also have a phobia of taking medicine which made me more anxious then most.I have always ended up taking it eventually because my symptoms worsened and would like to report I had zero side effects and felt better within days. I also think that some of the reported side effects others have mentioned maybe the actual infection itself as I have left my infections for up to 2 weeks without treatment and had the symptoms others have mentioned without me having taken the medicine."

JT1972 October 16, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After 4 days out of 7, twice a day, I quit taking it for two days and then resumed once a day. I had developed severe lethargy and dizziness and red splotches on my hands. Weakness disappeared within a day but then returned when I resumed. There must be an alternative out there."

Radtek October 16, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "last year I had gotten a UTI and was first prescribed Bactrim and it didn't help. I went back and was prescribed a 10 day pack of Nitrofurion.. Worst decision of my life was to take the Nitrofurion. By the 9th day I started breaking out in hives, which continued to take over my body for the next several weeks. I then spent the next 9 months going to allergists to help me manage the constant hives. I had developed chronic hives from this medication. It has been a year and the hives have finally subsisted. After all that I still had that UTI I learned a recipe making tea with Uva Ursi to clear the infection (known for killing Ecoli) and drank marshmallow root tea seeped for 8 hrs in cold water. And it cleared up the infection."

oceangirlm October 14, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "Holy Hell this drugs sucks! I was prescribed pills 2x a day for 3 days. My first was fine, but when I took the 2nd at night after I had eaten before bed that changed. Am I the only one who feels like they have something caught in their throat? Every time I drink or eat something I literally spit it up. Not puking its more regurgitating. Like I can't eat? I took 3rd pill thinking maybe I drank too much water and will try again. I could barely swallow pill and spit up food again! Then I started having tunnel vision and feeling clammy and nervous. I am also constipated so that's awesome. I went in to doctor and I am pretty sure he thinks I am crazy and mental. I stopped taking it, but I still can't eat and I am still a bit dizzy at times."

mpararas October 13, 2016