User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 4)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Urinary Tract Infection
4.7

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 4.9 846 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This drug resolved my mild UTI very quickly with the caveat that it made my mouth (saliva?) taste rancid. These pills had me brushing my teeth three times a day and downing mints like crazy. I guess that's a pretty bearable side effect though; I had no nausea or headaches."

M0n0n0n0n0 January 30, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Was diagnosed with a UTI and was prescribed macrobid. Day 1 I was super tired but didn't pay no mind to it. Second day 2nd dose it's like I got run over millions of times. Super tired nausea vomiting stomach pain dizzy chills night sweats loss of appetite crazy he'll headaches. I just continued to take it thinking it was my UTI. After day 3 dose 5 I knew it was the medicine so had to stop it. Felt so bad and just couldn't do anything. I have been off it for 5 days and still feeling chills and dizziness. Hopefully it goes away soon. Will make an appointment with a doctor by Thursday if not a 100%"

Cindy0723 January 29, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I think the problem I had with this is I took too much of it in too short a time. Took 100mg 2x a day for a week in mid December for a bladder infection. Made me a little nauseous after each pill but it would pass and it cleared up the infection. A month and a half later, I was put on the same dose for what was later found out to be symptoms of an ovarian cyst and not a bladder infection. Before we figured that out, I took the Macrobid for about 4 days and felt like death the whole time. No appetite, hot flashes, a horrible cough, fever, felt like I couldn’t get out of bed, horrible diarrhea. All of which subsided a few days after I stopped taking it. I felt like I was being poisoned. Never taking it again."

Lanie524 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Worked great for me and I did not notice a single bad reaction at all. I was pretty surprised to read all these terrible reviews. Painful and frequent urination eased about 24 hours after my first dose. 72 hours after my first dose I started to feel back to normal and now I'm 6 days in and feel completely normal! UTI's are so annoying and inconvenient. AZO was doing nothing for me and I was hardly sleeping at night. After 2 days of being miserable I had enough and called my dr first thing Monday. I think most people leave a review when it's really bad but I'm sure there are a ton more like me like that didn't think twice about writing a review because they're back to living their lives without having to urinate every 5 minutes."

Blessedtobeamomma January 27, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've just had the most miserable week of my life, like other comments I have had violent headaches, nausea, tummy upset, fever, chills, breathlessness, loss of appetite and general weakness. I was told by the pharmacist they were changing the antibiotics as patients were becoming immune but clearly this is not the drug to use. I can barely get out of bed and gave to spend most of the day resting feeling very poorly. I persevered as it says side effects will disappear once the course is over, two more days to go. I have contacted my surgery to let them know this drug does not agree with me, they were most concerned and offered to prescribe a different drug but I don't want to suffer another set of unpleasant side effects."

Uksufferer January 27, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed this drug after going into Urgent Care with a pretty severe UTI. My parents had to come pick me up from college and take me home to the hospital and run tests because we thought there was something seriously wrong with me. I had been experiencing nausea (but no vomiting), upper stomach pain, lowering back pain, and headaches. We thought something else was wrong with me because I have never had such extreme reactions to a drug. I am not allergic to anything, it was all in the side effects of the medicine. Cured my UTI, felt like I was dying for a week."

laurelatch January 26, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Have just started these meds and they can't make me feel any worse than what I do. I already have aches, shivers, fever all the symptoms of bladder infection. Have scored a 5 as don't know how well they will work."

Rach2454242424 January 26, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My doctor prescribed me Nitrofurantion Mono-Mcr 100 mg Capsules and the very first day I had pain in my lower right side it was so bad I could not stand up or move then it was hard for me to breath. On my third day my ears were swollen and turned reddish purple and my whole face started to burn. This antibiotic has made things worse"

Desiree1018 January 24, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed the generic of Macrobid for a UTI. The last day of the treatment, early evening I started with severe chills which ended up being a very high fever. The next day I was not able to lift my head off pillow as my head was pounding and now my temp is over 102. I was taken to ER. ER could not find ANYTHING wrong with me. I was brought back to ER within 30 hours with 102.9 fever, covered in rash, ALL joints huge, red and painful, bottoms of feet burning lost the ability to walk without a 2 man assist. I was admitted to the hospital and spent 5 days with doctors testing everything possible for an answer. The answer was severed adverse allergic reaction to this hideous medicine."

Aletha61 January 24, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This is just my 3rd day on this medication and I am not sure what to do. I vomit about 2-3 hours after a dosage, loose stool, horrible smelling gas , upset stomach and neon green urine. However my UTI appears to be going away. I never want to experience this again."

QuiCiCi January 24, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this poison by my doctor for a UTI. One capsule to be taken every 12 hours after 5 tablets I had to stop them I thought I was going to die. I can’t remember when I last felt so ill. It seems to have cleared the UTI but at what cost it has been a week now and still not feeling well. I hope it clears up soon. I’ll never take macrobid again. I think doctors must tell us about the side affects of this drug when prescribing it so we can make our mind up if we want to take it. We know that most drugs have side affects but believe me you don’t want the ones you get with macrobid. Get an alternative anti biotic for a UTI if you can please be aware"

Doddo (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I agree that this did help my bladder infection, but I ended up in urgent care with cold shakes, chills and body aches. I was terrified I had a kidney infection after 24 hours of this drug. 48 hours in I felt fine, only to break out in a rash from head to toe 72 hours in. Avoid this if you can!"

Jen C 1980 January 23, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I think the drug worked pretty fast because I felt a lot less discomfort within 1 or 2 doses, but the side effects are not great. I've had diarrhea the entire time, a couple of headaches, and vertigo once. I'd definitely choose a different antibiotic next time."

Cait23 January 22, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After having recurrent UTI's for the past couple months I decided to finally go to the doctor. After 3 days on this antibiotic I got the worst headache of my life. Horrible, throbbing headache, anxiety, sore throat, and achy bones. I though this has to be the flu going around but after reading these reviews I'm skeptical that it was this antibiotic. That being sad it took away my UTI symptoms after 1 day but if I ever have another UTI I will request something else"

Elena1234 January 22, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After first day of taking this medication, I started noticing a soreness in my neck. It got increasingly worse each day. I contacted the doctor and was told to discontinue taking it. I stopped yesterday and still have a very sore gland in my neck. It hurts when I swallow."

Scalab (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm wondering from the occasional decent reviews on here if there is a high-quality version of this drug that my insurance has cheated me out of. Because I have the horrible version and am suffering 20x more than what the UTI was giving me. HORRIBLE headache - Tylenol not effective and afraid to take anything else due to the nausea. Already allergic to one of the UTI antibiotics so I'm reluctuant to give this up after only 2 days but they have been 2 AWFUL days. If only drugs were capable of targeting our specific problem without killing off the rest of our body! Be prepared for the possibility you may not be able to work while on this - I sure as heck can't."

SickInMI (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "The best antibiotic I've ever taken. On the first dose I could actually feel it working. I experienced no adverse side effects and would take it again."

Blue stethoscope (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "I have been on a number of antibiotics for recurrent UTIs (young, otherwise healthy). Previously had Macrobid with no side effects whatsoever. This most recent time however, was an entirely different story. I had nausea and chills that would come and go (miserable!) making me think I felt better only to return. I could barely eat anything, only eating small amounts of toast, Banana, yogurt and soups. I vomited once or twice a day 3/4 days. Still have one day left. I also had generalized muscle achiness in my back and neck. This was my worst experience ever with a drug that previously worked perfect!"

Frequent UTIs January 13, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Never seen my daughter so ill. Called an ambulance tonight as since being prescribed these last week. She has vomited daily. Been in so much pain with no effect from these new tablets. The other nittrofurantion were small white tablets that work in one or two days. These cheap nasty drugs are in capsule form by MicroBID. With some other ingredient to make sure the penicillin works. They worked perfectly well. Another cheap nasty substitute to save money. Avoid like the plague and insist on your normal tiny white tablets. These are hideous and the side effects are savage. Will be filling in the yellow card. Discussed the harm and distress they have caused. Did nothing for the kidney infection. Scandalous"

Annoyed parent January 11, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This antibiotic is the absolute worst antibiotics I have ever taken in my life. Not only did it not cure my infection it gave me horrific side effects. Within 3 to 4 hours of taking the tablets I was sick and had the worst headache of my life and I suffer from migraine and this didn't even compare. It felt like my skull was been squashed. After 48 hours of shaking, sickness, weakness and headaches I stopped taking the tablets and went back to doctors. What went from a mild kidney infection, I was nearly hospitalised. DO NOT TAKE THESE TABLETS! Unless you wanna feel like you wanna die."

Melissa.harrison2014 January 11, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "I am on day four of this antibiotic and so far it is working for the infection but not without effects!!! Since day 2 I have been having diarrhea a couple times a day with an upset stomach and bloating! I have never had sides effects with any another antibiotic and although its not horrible its unpleasant and will never take this again after I finish this bottle!"

Linabobina January 11, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid for my UTI and two hours after my first dose, I was in full blown fever mode. Achy, chills, headache, ears burning and anxiety. Constant shivering is too much. I am on my second day and am truly thinking I'm dying. I called the pharmacist and he said it's not an allergic reaction. These are the symptoms. I can't believe that they're allowed to prescribe this. It should be banned. I'm not throwing up, but if that starts, I'm stopping this horrible medication. Please don't take this medication. This is utterly awful ."

TorontoMom (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Never having had any reaction to antibiotics before I took these and ended up being admitted to hospital with suspected meningitis: High fever, banging headache, rash ..... typical symptoms! I could hardly walk and I felt so ill. I had a lumbar puncture which came back clear (Thank God) so the Doctor's put it down to 'a virus'. However, some time later I got another infection and started a new course of Nitrofurantoin. Within a couple of days all the symptoms I'd previously experienced started again and the penny dropped! My reason for writing this review is not to scare anyone, and probably for most there wont be any side effects, but to raise awareness for those people who have an adverse reaction."

GDB1470 (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "Third day on this drug, having stomach pains, lower back pains, chills which come and go. Very bad stomach. Will not take it again."

asphalt (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this medication for a UTI while preg. 100 MG 2x a day for 7 days. I started the first dose at night so I took it & went to sleep. I took each dose with food as advised. By the evening of the 2nd night I had a terrible headache & a stiff achy neck. Let me reiterate the headache... I read the reviews but I really feel like I should emphasize this headache. I was in bed all afternoon & Tylenol did not help. The next day was the same. The morning was fine but by the afternoon/evening I had neck pain & that TERRIBLE headache. Now after the 5th dose or so the headaches & neck pain eased off for me."

JennSC87 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018