User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 4)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 45 reviews 29 medications

7.2
Urinary Tract Infection 451 reviews 190 medications

Bladder Infection 203 reviews 82 medications

4.9
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 699 reviews 5.7

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took this medication for a UTI. Started on a Friday. It's now Monday, and I was told by my gyno office to stop. They told me the side effects I was experiencing were not normal for the medication. Have to head to the hospital to see what's up. Here is what I experienced: 1. Constant nausea 2. Headaches 3. Weak muscles and stiff joints 4. Blurry vision. Made it hard to walk up and down stairs, started to gag if I moved too quickly 5. Tired. Oh so tired. If it is the medication, then this is awful. The side effects are worse than the UTI. I've never had a problem with any other antibiotic medication."

BCA927 (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Experienced UTI symptoms 4/13. Doc prescribed Sulfameth on 4/14, pending results of culture. Sulfameth barely nicked the symptoms. Started Nitrofurantoin 4/18. 2 tablets daily; one in the morning one at night. Seemed to be working with no appreciable side effects. Take with food, lots of water. Have been pushing water for 12 days now. Nitrofurantoin ran out on 4/25, a Tuesday. By Saturday night, symptoms came roaring back. Spent several hours crying in pain. This drug ineffectual for me."

illdiz (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Had abdominal discomfort, burning sensation, and blood after urination. Urgent care diagnosed me with an UTI. They prescribed this for me and after taking one pill my symptoms started to subside. I have only experienced slight headache but no other significant side affects. My urine however did turn a different kind of yellow but when looking at the packaging this is normal and doesn't warrant concern. Great antibiotic."

Katyrn313 April 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I know this is about nitrofurantoin but I wanted to talk about the other drug I took before. Last week I noticed I had a UTI so I called my GP for an appointment they tested a sample and said there was some sort of urine infection so they prescribed me Trimethoprim (which I had taken previously before, 3 day course) this time the drug did not work at all if anything it made me worse, this also included vomiting so I called the GP very early this morning and was seen within 2 hours. I told them my symptoms and what had happened so I sent off a sample and they prescribed me nitrofurantoin 50mg capsules for 7 days, I've taken 2 doeses today (I have 4 pills a day) and I can honestly say it has already started to work."

JemJem April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "It works great I was prescribed it to prevent UTIs after sex. However, my urologist took me off this medication because it can cause pulomonary fibrosis. Which is a serious lung condition that can be fatal. Please reconsider taking this medication . There are other options. Seek help from a urologist for further workup and treatment."

Cristina Cristina April 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed this medication after having symptoms for 1-2 days. I am not a pill taker. I was in between insurance so I had to go see a minute clinic provider. I was told the drug was highly effective and asked if I wanted to try it. I knew cipro worked in the past, but the prescriber seemed avid that this med would take cake if my symptoms. To no avail, I've had a horrible smell in my urine, a bout of leakage and now on day 4, my bladder and urinary tract burn & literally feels sore and swollen. This medicine is complete crap! I would have been healed by now had I been given the medication I requested in the first place! Now I am out 200 bucks and feel horrible and wondering if I have to go this all over again in 2 days..."

Suffering4 April 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Well so far I have taken 4 and still in pain when I pee I am also taking flucloxacillin 500mg so fingers crossed the 2 will work and I will be pain free. Oh I am also drinking lots of cranberry juice."

Marc40uk (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "After being prescribed Monurol (a single dose, powder satchet antibiotic) for a pretty nasty Bladder Infection, I had to go back to the doctor because I was still in serious pain. My family doctor prescribed Macrobid, and after taking ONE dose, I started to have relief. I'm pretty sensitive to medications, I usually get the full list of side-effects; headache, nausea, diarrhoea, but with Macrobid, absolutely nothing-not even the weird possible "darkening of urine". Believe me, I'm a big baby, I'd whine about anything, this medication was amazing."

Lainezal (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Didn't work"

Lisa12340987 April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Before your freak out thinking that you're gonna have the worst experience ever on this drug, don't! Most people who have good experiences don't come to these sites and write reviews, it's always the bad ones! I have terrible health anxiety and I'm sensitive to lots of drugs. I also had C diff 3 months ago (cured by at home Fecal Microbiota Transplantation) so taking an antibiotic again was pretty scary for me. The side effects I got were a slight headache and nausea for a couple hours after each pill, some gas but no other digestive issues (thank goodness!!!). I was feeling better on the 4th day and have one more day to go. Take it with bread to make it easier on your stomach."

Anonymous April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was experiencing back to back UTIs for 8-9 months. After trying some alternative approaches with my doctor, considering surgery, she decided to put me on a daily low dose antibiotic; Macrodantin. It has been over three plus months and it works. I honestly am not comfortable taking a daily antiobiotic but I am far more uncomfortable having a UTI. No side effects for me."

Hbsue April 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Very good experience with some minor side effects.....minor and worth having rather than being in the hospital with a kidney infection! I read some of the reviews on here. I have health anxiety and a bit of hypochondria and I am afraid to take medications. I was hesitant to take this one as well after reading the reviews. Only side effects I felt was some mild diarrhea, headache, some muscle aches, fatigue, mild pelvic and side pain and chills (which could have been from the UTI rather than a side effect of the medication). Please take the bad reviews with a grain of salt. Everyone responds differently to medications and my experience was good with this. Don't take UTI's lightly as they can lead into more serious problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have been taking these tablets for 2 days now & I'm amazed how quickly my symptoms cleared up . 1st 2 tablets in the morning & 2 at night I was able to go to the toilet with no pain at all . I've had another 4 tablets today & finish my course tomorrow all with no side affects at all :-) I'm just very relieved to be able to pee again without the horrid pain ! If i happen to get another UTI then I will definitely take this medication it works wonders :-)"

LoubLou :-) (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've taken antibiotics many times before in my life, but with nitrofurantoin I experienced really bad headaches after day one. Quit taking them for 48 hrs, headache cleared rapidly, then recommenced course..same again..very bad headaches, energy loss, feeling very weak and nauseous.. have ceased now and feel better again. Now I just have to clear up my UTI ! Yes reaction to antibiotic far worse than UTI. Be wary of this one, though everyone's different."

Mazza55 March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Tested positive for UTI and was put on nitrofurantoin, 100mg 2x per day for 7 days. No problems the first day, evening of second day I started with a frequent dry cough (not quite hacking, but close). Only able to sleep 1-2 hours per night and coughing got worse each day. Called clinic on 5th day and changed to Bactrim for 3 days. No burning, some pressure and frequent urge to urinate. Going to doctor for regular checkup today and will discuss this, but will not take this medicine again."

Junebugsy March 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed 100mg 2x daily for 7 days. I noticed my bowels were unusual (more watery). Also, headaches were common as well. Not terrible, but annoying. My UTI did in fact go away. I recently have been having reoccurring UTI's with not being treated. This was my first treatment for my UTI. I'm hoping they no longer continue to frequently occur. So overall, it gets the job done with very manageable side effects!"

Hopper90 (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I have taken this medication tons of times and every time without side effects. It is the only thing I can take to take care of my UTIs. I took it off and on in the past for UTIs due to having 4 urether instead of two. Then I had to take it for 9 months while I was pregnant (one a day for prevention), never had a problem. Now years later, Just had a hysterectomy and had a UTI again. Asked for macrobid and within two days the pain is gone and I am getting better. Couldn't live without this medicine. I don't know what these people are talking about."

Knokke70 March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was a bit scared to take this due to a bad experience years ago but the doctor said its the only anti biotic that will get rid of my current bacteria. First hour I took it, I was nauseous but I kept myself distracted and it's been a few hours and the nauseous has gone. The best thing is to drink a lot of water and eat well even if u don't have the appetite. It's only been a few hours so my symptoms are still there but I'm feeling quite positive that I'll be back to normal in the next couple days due to how strong this anti biotic is"

Miimii88 March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bladder Infection: "I used to have recurrent UTIs, and had no problems with other antibiotics. I hadn't had one in around 6 months, but am in week 7 of my second pregnancy and they've returned. I was given nitrofurantoin, 50mg 4 times per day. The first and second dose made me incredibly nauseous all day, delirious and with a fever but freezing hands and feet. The 3rd and 4th mild nausea. I'm on day 2 and there are still mild cystitis symptoms, and again the 1st dose in the morning made me nauseous and delirious. I'm too sick to leave the house to change my medication and have had to miss work, but I will definitely be asking for something else if ever prescribed this again."

Dgunvtssadhj March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I was prescribed a low dose of it for prevention if UTI's and it gave me diarrhea..which for someone already dealing with IBS I'm on top of constant UTI's...is not helpful at all. Aside from that no side effects. Still stopped taking it though and was prescribed methenamine... hope it works!"

kristinmcaff35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Never taking this again. Day 2 of taking this antibiotic for UTI and I have never felt so ill. Constant feeling of vomiting, bloating and loss of appetite. I rather have UTI than these symptoms. Horrible!"

Kaye8181 March 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My dr wanted to give me Cipro or Bactrim but since I have a pill complex, I asked for something smaller. He prescribed Macrobid and I came to this site to apparently scare myself before taking it. Well I'm here to tell you that this antibiotic was GREAT! As someone who has colitis and constant headaches, both triggered by virtually anything, neither were affected by this drug. I experienced zero side effects. I took 100mg twice a day for 5 days. I would take 1 capsule right after breakfast and 1 capsule right after dinner so it was always accompanying a meal. 5 days later, urine culture came back negative. This worked great for me! I didn't start feeling pain relief til day 4 though. Hang in there and take with meals."

keleliwei22 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I've taken two doses after my gall baldder surgery. The first one left my lips swollen and a bit numb. In about 1 hour, my face felt hot and looked flushed. I felt tingling in my legs. The second time I took it (which was today) after 1hr I felt my face really flushed again and it was red. My chest broke out in a rash. Now I feel flu like symptoms and I have a slight fever. I feel aches all over. I'm calling my doctor on Monday to change antibiotics. I'm not taking this anymore."

Sage09173 March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Been taking nitrofurantoin for a little less than 24hrs and already I feel anxious nauseous and heavy depression. But to be fair I haven't been taking them with food in me considering I have a loss of appetite due to my UTI. This is my second UTI and I don't remember me having severe side effects like the one's I'm experiencing with this pill. I'm gonna give it another day and if my symptoms don't get better then I'll be calling in for another prescription."

Rgonzales1421 March 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Genfura (Nitrofurantoin) after a previous antibiotic was ineffective in curing a UTI. UTI symptoms were completely gone within 3 days, but I had major side effects within hours of taking the first pill. Side effects: Worst flu like symptoms of my life and I nearly went to A&E I was so sick. I had a high fever for 2 days, chills, shallow laboured breathing, no appetite, nausea, constipation, extreme weakness, severe headache and I couldn't leave my bed for 2 days. Strangely the side effects went away as soon as they came on, and 4 days into the medication I feel fine."

UK Genfura (Nitrofurantoin) February 28, 2017