User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 2)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 34 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Urinary Tract Infection 301 reviews 185 medications

4.9
Bladder Infection 165 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 500 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I got a pretty bad bladder infection and got prescribed this medicine. I didn't bother to check reviews, as my infection was so bad that all I wanted to do was be able to pee. I'm on day 3. Symptoms barely better. On top of that, I now have bad pain in my lower back, a swollen stomach that hurts really bad, gas, constipation, and worst of all, I can barely stay awake. I'm exhausted. I have zero energy and I've been bed ridden since the first dose. My joints hurt, my shoulders hurt, I am dizzy and nauseous. And I take the dose with a decent meal to prevent stomach upset but it doesn't work. Worst part is that I keep having bouts of diarrhea but nothing comes out. I don't know if the medicine is worse than the disease, but I'm miserable."

AlexisMR August 8, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My 4 month old daughter was recently diagnosed with her 2nd urinary tract infection. With her 1st one the dr prescribed Sufrax oral suspension. We didn't have any issue with it and it cleared up the UTI quickly. This time she was prescribed Nitrofurantoin oral suspension. She is exclusively breastfed, but will take a bottle of breast milk if offered. The Nitrofurantoin is so sweet that she won't take it from a medicine syringe or hidden in a bottle of breast milk. Either way she spits it everywhere even if she's hungry. My question is why TH would they add so much sugar? First, kids don't need the extra sugar. 2nd, you can add flavored sugary syrup at the pharmacy for $1.88 if a kid won't take it otherwise. Way to go, idiots..."

WicketKitty (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed for a very painful UTI. After 3 days, I felt no relief. The 4th day, I began to feel better but very fatigued. The 5th day I developed a rash on my scalp. I thought it was shingles. I woke up the 6th day with extreme itching and discomfort. The rash had spread to my shoulders and eventually down my chest and to my waistline. I went to my doctor who took me off Macrobid, switched me to Cipro for another round of antibiotics and prescribed a shampoo and topical ointment for the rash. I wish I had changed antiobiotics that 4th day. This is miserable, red itchy welts everywhere, and low grade fever."

Laced (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Took the pills for 3 days and it made me so much sicker, fever, migraine, aches in my bones and complete exhaustion felt like I was dying. Called my doctor and now trying ciprin."

In milwaukee (taken for less than 1 month) August 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, Super sick so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Honestly I was pretty scared taking this medicine after reading these reviews, but I took it and did not have one problem what so ever, also cleared my UTI right up ! Started off taking bacterium and had The WORST side effects, headache, dizziness, my body tingled, super bad headaches so they switched me to macrobid for 5 days and had no problems, ate with a healthy meal ever time I took it and drank lots of water throughout the day. Everyone is different, so I guess I found the one that works best for me!"

Anonymous August 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "The first few doses made me feel like I had been hit by a truck. Things improved and now I am in the third day and fine. Burning, urgency, leaking GONE so I will finish my 10 days of medication. I had Cipro for 7 days previously and after I finished-- in three days I had symptoms again."

Granmary July 31, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "My score is based on how well it's treating the infection itself - burning, back pain and urgency are gone 48 hours after starting this drug - first time user with a clearly defined bad infection based on urinalysis at the hospital -- don't need Azo any more, still downing cranberry and water, and tip: eat something even if your appetite is gone. Bad news, I'm exhausted, nauseous, dizzy and drained. I can live through the side effects, not so sure about the infection - very effective, strong, targeted, bacteria-killer and I will complete the entire protocol as directed - the temptation will be to stop taking it, I will resist the temptation. I will, however, bow to the temptation to sleep all day. takeaway - it's a trade-off."

Andy102102 July 30, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Increased my anxiety, gave me upper back pains, terrible nausea, and chills. I do not recommend this if you are sensitive to medication! I took it just in case for a mild UTI and definitely should have stuck with homeopathic methods."

112 (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I went to the dr with a pain in my left side. I was told I had a uti and perscribed nitro duration mono/Mac 100 mg 2x per day. After taking this med I have had a constant headache, no appetite, I have stomach pains and I feel exhausted. I have no energy to do anything and with two boys that's not working well. I just called my dr to see if I could get on a different medication. The last time I had a uti the antibiotics I was on did not do this to me. I'm miserable! But glad to find this site. I was thinking I was developing a kidney infection. I'm thankful to know it's more likely a medication side effect."

Deb6801 July 29, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I've take this before with no side effects. This time the doctor recommended me to take it for 90 days, 100 milligrams once a day for recurring UTI. By the second dose I am in the bed feel like I have the flu, a virus at the same time and vision going. Not going to take anymore of this microbid. Wish I had only filled 30 days of meds instead of 90 day. Spent to much money on something I can't take. Take with caution."

S.A.V.A.N.N.A.H July 29, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Started four days ago with a UTI. Started taking Nitrofurantoin Mono/Mac 100 mg twice daily. Ive been taking it 9:00 am and 9:00 pm for two days. Today I woke up feeling absolutely horrible! Burning clammy skin, chills (without fever) bad pain in left side of lower back. Pretty much can't get out of bed! I've had UTI's before and can still function. These meds are risky. Went to Doc this morning, and he confirmed that it's most likely this med. Just wanted to put my review out here to help if someome might feel the same."

Backtodoc:( (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "by end of day one (2 doses) I felt very tired. Day two I woke up weak, fatigued, achey but was advised to stay on Macrobid as the UTI symptoms had improved. As day wore on (3 doses) I became increasingly tired, no energy, headache, sensation of heart racing, nausea. Another call to provider and they suggested I switch to Cipro. Before I could do that, an episode of nausea sent me to the bathroom. I passed out, hit my head and ended up hospitalized. I would be very afraid of this medication, considering the other options."

Weed93 July 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "This drug is fine for me. It makes me feel foggy, tired and just out of sorts for a few hours but i can still function. The headaches are the worst part. I'm on day 4 so I'm sticking it out!"

knbarnes (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I started taking 100mg of macrobid twice a day on Wednesday evening. It is now Tuesday, I have two pills left. One for this morning and one for tonight. I can't wait to be off this medication. My uti symptoms were gone between day one and two but I was told to take all the medication even if it gets better. I take this medication at 8am and 8pm. From about 4pm-6pm I am extremely nauseous, it's horrible. Then I also wake up off and on from 4-6am because of nausea. I always take the pill with a meal so I don't know why I'm still experiencing the nausea. That's the only bad side effect I have experienced so far. Can't wait to be done with this medication!"

shreffy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took Macrobid 100mg twice a day for 7 days. I had no symptoms at all, except day 1 I had an upset tummy. But I can't for sure say that was caused by this antibiotic. I'm very sensitive to a lot of medications and I was really surprised Macrobid didn't give me any problems. I think a lot of people don't realize how crazy a UTI can actually get. You can get some pretty awful symptoms/side effects just from the UTI itself. Blurred vision, headaches and nausea are all side effects of a UTI, not just the antibiotic. I caught my UTI in time and had no symptoms from this antibiotic. There is a reason older people in their 70's and up go mental when they have a UTI. It's a serious condition."

alwayscoffee (taken for less than 1 month) July 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Was prescribed this medication for my UTI. After taking my second pill, I started experiencing severe migraines and blurred vision. It was so bad that I couldn't drive. I stopped taking it yesterday and my vision is still not 100%. I recommend people try this for a day and observe your bodies reaction. Lots of people have a bad reaction to this medication (Ive NEVER had a reaction to medication in my life only this one). If your sensitive to certain medication I highly recommend you don't take this one."

MQM9999 July 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had a recurrent UTI for the past month and no other antibiotics had been working. Doctor prescribed this one 100 mg, twice a day every 12 hours, for five days. After my first dose, my urgency to urinate had subsided a lot. Nevertheless, by the second dose severe nausea, constipation, and fatigue began. I have been a zombie at work and just the thought of food makes me want to puke, even though I've been forcing myself to have at least three full meals a day (particularly when I take the medication). Have two more days to go, and I just wrote to my provider to see if I MUST finish it. The UTI symptoms are gone at this point yet the side effects are decreasing my quality of life by the minute."

MiseryInAPill July 21, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Have anxiety issues and think this medicine affected my anxiety...felt a bit lightheaded and nauseous and had a panic attack. Not sure if it the macrobid or pyridium. Symptoms of UT I better but not totally gone yet."

Mammadee (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I'm on day 2, so I have taken 4 pills and I feel absolutely horrible nausea. I have aches all over like the flu and pains in my stomach, sharp ones. I can barely keep my head up. I am stopping them and going back to the doctor tomorrow. I have never felt so bad, also very explosive diarrhea. I'm thinking of going to the hospital. I feel as if I have been poisoned."

Heidila July 18, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "So I get constant bladder infections and honestly, they ruin my life, I have to take time off work which I don't want to do I sit uncomfortable for a good 50% of my life it's horrible. I would take anything to stop constant bladder infections, I have to say I have been on this tablet twice now last two times was 50g four times a day, and it literally got rid of my discomfort in about two hours!!! I had mild headache but never put two and two together ! But now I'm on 100g twice a day and I read these reviews and like clockwork I felt instantly awful now more days off work :( it's the worst but is it physchological? Or is it because the change in dose ? I feel awful my head is foggy and I feel anxious tired and sick"

Laurenbloomer July 12, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am currently on day 2 of macrobid, 2x daily for 5 days. Pharmacist was sure to emphasize to take macrobid with food to prevent nausea. So far, I have no nausea, but have developed a terrible headache. I must say, that pain of the UTI was gone within two hours of taking my first dose, which is worth it to me. So I'll be sticking this one out and hope the headache doesn't worsen."

Ali18 July 8, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "After reading a lot of bad reviews I was hesitant to use macrobid as a treatment for a pretty severe bladder infection. However, I didn't experience many of the side effects that I read about. Although it did make me rather fatigued, I made sure to drink lots of water and took my pills with a nice healthy meal! I also took my 100mg pills twice a day at the exact same time as to get my body on a routine. Almost 3 days off of it and feeling back to 100%! Would have no problem using this antibiotic again!"

Vicky__ July 8, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I took this med once before and had the same symptoms so I don't think the first time was a fluke. After taking just one pill, within a few hours, I was nauseous to the point I could not lay down. My head started to hurt and then within in six hours I had body aches all over. I also developed a cough, and it was hard to breathe. It has been over 14 hours, I am just now starting to feel a little better. This medicine is awful. Don't take it."

Claree July 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have Urge Incontinence and take quite a few urine infections. Nitro as I call it is brilliant, as it gets to the root of the problem within, taking the first few caps. The only sort of down thing is, it gives me chronic indigestion, but I'm sure we can all supply ourselves with an anti-acid. If it was not for Nitrofurantoin, day to day living would be pretty painful. Getting urinary infections, sometimes comes with holding in too much, but when you have Urge Incontinence, I find myself doing this all the time, it works, until I get to my commode, but to what cost--I hear you all say--, a lot. So Nitro is definitely the answer to my urine infections."

Lynda McEachran (taken for less than 1 month) July 6, 2016