User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 2)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 40 reviews 29 medications

6.9
Urinary Tract Infection 382 reviews 186 medications

Bladder Infection 190 reviews 82 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 612 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid for a UTI. Within 12 hours of my first dose, I had extreme body and muscle pain from my ankles to my shoulders. I am 100% aware that many people can take Macrobid and be fine, I'm just relieved to read that some other people went through what I did for the simple fact that I thought I was dying! The morning after I started taking the meds, even my lungs felt bruised. I was too weak to hardly even walk. I returned to the doctor and totally thought they would hospitalize me. He wrote me a new script and sent me home. My mother and husband took turns taking care of me until I stopped vomiting and writhing in pain, which in total took days. I couldn't eat and even couldn't take care of my small children for two days."

Freaked out! (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "First off, I have a history of having UTI. This past one has been a real doozy and the medication was changed four times! The last antibiotic prescribed is macrobid 100 mg 2xday. The first day I was nauseated and delirious with bad nightmares. It was a sick flu like feeling along with bad chills. I kept taking them as I thought what else.?! This sick feeling calmed by third day and two more (4 pills) left. I feel better but my bladder has been through too much with so many infections with wrong medications. I really wish my Dr would focus more on prevention. Macrobid definitely gave me bad side effects compared to any other antibiotics...but it seemed to clear the infection hopefully it doesn't return!"

EloiseJames February 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "Started nifurantoin on Friday. After fifth dose started headache, chills, flu like symptoms. Then severe low back pain and I thought, this moved to my kidneys. Took two more doses and went to my Dr. on Monday with insane low back pain, and joint pain down my body. I thought maybe I had the flu. When I told the nurse my symptoms she said "it's the medication, your urine shows no infection now. " Dr. confirmed and changed the medicine after telling me her patients that react this way look and feel like they have the flu. Today is day five and I still have bad low back pain. I wonder how long it will last because it's horrible. Dr's should warn their patients."

Adreyd February 7, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin for a bladder infection. My first day of taking this medicine my feet and hands became so very cold and I could not control the chills my hands became very pale it felt like frost bike like there were pins and needles in my fingers, I also became very lethargic and nauseated. I also had very intense pain in my lower back. I stopped taking them. I waited a few days and I took it at night before going to bed. I wake up in the middle of the night with the same chills, numbness and tingling to my fingers and toes, nauseated and tired. This time I contacted my doctor and she advised me to stop taking the medication. I won't take this medication ever again."

Bayl February 6, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I began to take Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin mono) 100mg caplets on last Thursday for a UTI. Within 24 hours I had severe muscle aching, headache, and fatigue. Within 2 days I had even more severe body aches, joint pain, extreme fatigue and sleepiness, dizziness and difficulty walking as well as a fever of 101-102 degrees. I went in to a walk in clinic but symptoms progressed and by Sunday I was in the ER thinking I was in septic shock. I assumed my infection had spread, I had no idea it could be a reaction to the antibiotic. After a barrage of tests including a CT scan, the only possibility is that this poison was wrecking my health. This medication caused me a huge amount of problems. I stopped taking it yesterday and still have a headache, dizziness, muscle aches and low fever. I can only hope the damage caused by Macrobid is not permanent."

Mom in NM (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "I took 100mg at 12 noon with food, by 4pm I was in bed chills like I had never had before the ache resembled someone sitting on my chest and pulling a belt tight. I felt sick and the pain was awful. I took the second one at 10pm and four hours later the effects were so bad, I was throwing up and gagging when I breathed in. The Dr actually came out to me changed the anti biotics. Took around three days for symptoms to go away. I now feel I have no energy. The infection has cleared up so that is a relief but I won't be taking this medication ever again."

Crazycow (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Just taken 5 of 6 tabs - really don't think can face another day feeling like death. Husband woke me in the night to check temperature - 39.9 said I was panting! He does not normally panic. Can't eat. If I sweat it stinks presumably of chemicals. Splitting headache. Extreme lethargy. Basically went to bed and slept as much as I could. Terrible stomach cramps belching and wind. Best of all I don't even know if this drug is the correct one for me as lab results not back until Monday. Never again for me."

lizro (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had ORANGE urine from 1/11 to 1/13. Went to Dr. Got urinealysis. They said it was fine and call them if it comes back. It did, every 3 days or so for 2 weeks. Went back to the dr. Got blood work and another urinalysis. My blood is fine. She said I have bacteria in the urine tho, called it a UTI, and put me on this medicine. Only took 3 doses so far and have no side effects but I urinated orange again twice today. So I'm wondering if it should be working by now. And also, like the other stories I'm hearing from you ladies, I have NO other symptoms. Zero. Has anyone had a UTI with no other symptoms? Maybe it's not a UTI. And also, has anyone ever had this orange urine but me? When it's not orange, it's fluorescent yellow. "

Waffles Mom (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "74 years old and developed UTI after flu. On the medicine for just 2 days and will stop.Developed scary pounding heart beat. Need to stay around a while longer to see younger daughter wed."

kanefina January 26, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I love this drug! I have chronic UTIs I get them at least once a month the first time taking this medication I felt better within a day I did feel a little sick to my stomach but I would much rather feel a little nauseous than having the burning sensation and constantly needing to Pee every 10 seconds. I currently have a UTI now and I took with food and have not felt sick to my stomach whatsoever this medicine is a lifesaver!"

Bribby (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was instantly sick to my stomach after first dose. Now I wonder if it was just exhaustion from being up all night with the PAIN. I am on day 3 and feel so much better that I may be back at work in the morning. I haven't had a UTI since I was very young and sort of forgot how dreadful it can get. My Dr said usually 48 hrs and one is over the worst and I think the side effects for me are extremely minimal!/"

Auntj January 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After reading all of the horrible reviews on this site I was terrified to take Macrobid. I waited two days hoping that the symptoms would clear and I wouldn't have to take this "awful poison." Everything I read talked about flu'like symptoms and high fevers..Scary stuff. I finally gave in and took my first dose around 9:00am. By around 1:00pm I had a bit of a headache which was mostly controlled with Advil. Same side effect with the second and third dose. By day three I was side effect free and nearly symptom free too. I would take this again in heartbeat. Don't let the reviews scare you. Everyone reacts differently and you can't base what your experience will be off of the bad experience others had."

PunkyBee January 24, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Although I think I might have kidney stones instead of a UTI, (due to vast amounts of blood in my urine and no pain when I urinate) my only side effect is nausea. I can't say if it actually helped with symptoms because I still have side and belly pain after 7 days of being on it. Just because one person might have one side effect or allergic reaction doesn't mean the next person will. Everyone's body is different and what doesn't work for one person might work for the other."

No prob (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I will NEVER touch this medicine again. A couple hours after my first dose, I started to feel nauseated. Things quickly devolved from there. Severe chills, body aches, fever, splitting headache. Like when you first get the flu, X10000. My skin hurt and I couldn't relieve my pain/discomfort in any way. The next 24 hours, waiting for the drug to leave my system, were a complete nightmare."

Damwill (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I came off the drug two weeks ago but still feel ill. I'm dragging myself around and feel confused, tired and full of aches and pains. I am normally a very fit person who loves to swim and walk. This drug needs to be banned if others can be used without the dreadful and long lasting side effects. I read I could now have liver damage."

Mammaroo (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Brilliant. Day 3 of taking microbid and UTI cleared up. Still 4 more days to go. Very happy."

Zen1 (taken for less than 1 month) January 14, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I have had recurring uti's for 5 decades. I've been on macrobid for a couple of years. I've found it does help prevent the kidney and bladder infections with few side effects. The side effects I do have are: darkened urine, diarrhea occasionally, nausea and dry heaves occassionally, dizziness occasionally and peripheral neuropathy on occasion. Now I know you would think that these side effects would deter someone from taking this drug but for me those side effects are better than having bladder and kidney infections for 6 months at a time. For me the macrobid is the lesser of the two evils. Living with the infections is worse than these few issues."

DebbyGre (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "I've never reacted to any antibiotic, so I had no idea what I was in for with this. I made the mistake this morning (day 3) of taking pill 5. I had no appetite yesterday and was very lethargic and agitated. Really out of sorts, but 1/2 functioning. Today has been a nightmare of nausea, chills, body aches and joint pain, exhaustion, headache, ear and jaw pain, etc. That's not the full list. Doc pulled me off and moved me to Augmentin, but I have a LOT going on the next 4 days, and I came here hoping to figure out how long it will be before the side effects are gone. I can't get anything down, nothing helps the pain; I'm essentially useless. Also: hasn't anyone heard of Pyridium?? You don't need to suffer! OTC and numbs urinary tract!"

SF_Seattle (taken for less than 1 month) January 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had a few UTIs recently and the antibiotics has worked every time but this time I was prescribed Macrobid and after one pill I felt pretty horrendous. The symptoms of my UTI went away but it was replaced with really scary symptoms. I took the second pill not thinking it was side effects considering I've never had a bad experience with an antibiotic but woke up during the night feeling like my breathing was so heavy I wasn't sure if I'd need to go to hospital. The headache was unreal, I ached all over and walked about feeling like I was going to fall down any minute and like I was drunk or something. Called the doctor who told me to get an antihistamine and not take another. I felt poisoned! Still not fully recovered."

Miario (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I suffer from recurring UTI's. It's not uncommon with post menopausal women who are still sexually active. This drug has been amazing. Taking one directly after intimacy can prevent the UTI from occurring, but when it does, I feel relief after the first dose and in a few days its gone. Since I'm allergic to the standard treatment of sulfa based drugs, I'm grateful to have this. Keep in mind that everyone reacts differently to any medication. While one person tolerates it well, another can't. So don't dismiss it without trying. I have never had the slightest side effect with nitrofurantoin."

bellashanti January 8, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It says ON THE BOTTLE to take this medicine with food. This is probably why you are experiencing nausea and fatigue. It's a great medicine and a great alternative and preventative if you're like me and suffer from chronic UTI's."

ALN9007 January 7, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "It has been my personal experience in dealing with urinary tract infection's that Macrobid is a godsend. After having my youngest child I came down with a UTI which stemmed from the birthing unit nurse improperly inserting a catheter prior to my cesarean section delivery. Within about a week I began noticing some tenderness in my lower pelvic area but thought perhaps it was because I had a tubal ligation and c- section and returned to work upon my discharge from the hospital (yeah not the most health wise move but childbirth doesn't stop the bills from flowing in). I was put on antibiotics that didn't work ended up admitted with severly infected kidneys and macrobid was the only thing that cured me and to this day is the only antibiotic that works for my UTI's"

AP42 (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I had a UTI and my Dr. prescribed Macrobid. I'm allergic to most antibiotics and usually experience all the side effects possible so I read the reviews here and was so scared to take it that I waited a week to see if my symptoms would somehow go away on their own (they didn't). I finally said a prayer and started the Macrobid. The only side effect I had at all was a pretty good headache on days 1 and 2, which was relieved with Advil. I wish I had started sooner! Just remember that usually, the only people coming to these sites are people who have had bad reactions. My pharmacist said that she's been prescribing it for 35 years and never heard of anyone having really bad reactions to it."

Robbie22 January 3, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "On Christmas Eve I felt as though a UTI was starting and took Trimethoprim which I had ordered from an online Dr. It seemed to dampen the symptoms but didn't get rid of them completely. I was prescribed nitrofurantoin on New Year's Day. I was in a lot of pain. Started taking the pills at 11am and had three doses during the day plus nurofen. No improvement during that day but I slept well and woke up the following day (today) with very little pain. Symptoms not completely gone but vastly improved. No noticeable side effects. Am taking the antibiotics with food as advised. I give it a 9 rather than 10 because it has worked a little more slowly than treatments I have had in the past (but I am not complaining!)"

5669 (taken for less than 1 month) January 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've taken exactly 4 pills and I will not take one more ... no fever or chills but I have a rash all over my body. I have never been allergic to anything in my life and now this rash is horrible back legs arms stomach. It's itchy and just plain annoying! Also my urine had cleared up before taking these pills now it's back to a very dark color. I am not taking another pill , as for my UTI I will try some parsley tea and see where that gets me"

ItchyAndScratchy January 2, 2017