User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 2)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Urinary Tract Infection
4.7

Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 4.9 850 reviews

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Horrible side effects I had to go to urgent care. I asked for Cipro usually 5 will do. New doctor mine was out of town I will never go back. I am so weak with nausea, cramps, vomiting, headache, coughing and sinus infection with fatigue so bad."

Terdy (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I took macrobid with some hesitation after reading side affects but I was fine only side effect was slight headache"

Julz (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given a 7 day take twice a day treatment for a UTI. Oh my goodness when I say this medicine has me feeling like I'm about to die - I feel horrible. I have been having nausea, throwing up, lets not even talk about eating - I haven't had any appetite and have been very tired. I have been on other UTI medicine before and been GREAT but this here is the worst. The only reason I'm giving it 5 is because it feels like my UTI is gone but with two days worth of pills left I will not be taken them - I just can't as I FEEL HORRIBLE"

Jessica (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I normally get cephilex as a UTI med. This one time my doctor decided to try macrobid and it was a horrible experience. I had terrible upper stomach pain, weakness, shortness of breath, and anxiety. I immediately took two probiotic pills on day 2 which helped my stomach pain. Day three I was still very weak with mild stomach pain and anxiety. I also still had frequent urination. I call my doctor and had them order cephalexin. Macrobid is horrible and my doctor said half the people come back because it does not work. Never again will I take it!"

Anonymous April 17, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This med is not for me. It causes very bad side effects. Tight chest cough, difficulty to breathe, temperature, headache, and weakness. I'm not going to finish the treatment. Never will take it again. My UTI symptoms got better only 50%. Is so sad."

kuquita1hotmail.com (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I'm 13 weeks pregnant and got my first UTI I have a medication phobia so I tried to cure it on my own big mistake after many break downs I finally took the first pill within 8 hours of taking it I was feeling so much better I'm on day 3 and all my UTI symptoms are gone I have not had one side effect yet to this medicine I wish I would have taken it sooner instead of suffering for a week I have multiple mediation allergies so to find one I can take was a miracle"

Patty April 15, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This is not a drug to be taken!!!! I took one pill and after about 8 hours I was deathly ill. Fever 102.7, bad chills, sick to my stomach, chest pain, hurting shoulders and neck, dizzy. You name it,,,,I thought I was dying. I should have gone to the hospital but didn't feel like moving. After nearly 2 days, I finally started to feel better. Just really weak and not back to normal. DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICINE.....trust me. Please.....I have been sick with many medicines but NOT like this. "

Elaine (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "After the 2nd day of taking this medicine became feverish and shaking terribly and muscles in my legs and arms were so weak. I couldn't stand on my own two feet, and i am a avid walker. I was vomiting, couldn't eat. I took it for 4 days and by then I was totally frozen - couldn't move at all. The pain in my body was horrifying. I thought i was a goner. I knew I was getting dehydrated. I tried to drink enough water. I finally stopped the meds. Three days later I took a trip to the hospital in an ambulance cause I couldn't stand my vision had gone horribly wrong. I got to the hospital and they said it was the side effects from the meds. All they did was give me fluids and a bag of antibiotics.. and then sent me home and today 6 days later I'm still having trouble standing on my feet. Not happy"

tina (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "Just because some of you don’t have any reactions to Macrobid doesn't mean the ones that do are lying. It’s real. I have suffered through the effects and it is not pretty. You really feel extremely sick. never again!"

Lori (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed this for my UTI twice a day for a week. After four days of the medicine my UTI pain actually was worse and I broke out in little bumps all over my face neck and chest. Would not recommend."

Bri (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I rarely suffer side effects from medication, but Macrobid has been a hard route, as following the 1st dose, began suffering extreme nausea, gas, stomach pain, anxiety. I pushed forward thru dose 4, when I decided on Day 3 to skip all medication, but did take only 1 dose of Macrobid with something to eat late in the evening, hoping to bypass nausea. I awoke early & began vomiting once an hour for 4 hours...so I'm calling Dr to request a different medication."

NancySydsMom (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I do NOT recommend this drug. I have taken this twice (once a year ago, and now a day ago). Both times I have been weak, shivers, unable to stay conscious for multiple days, dizzy to the point I cannot walk, terrible fever etc. On top of this it hasn’t cleared my infection either time - not worth the side effects. Other medication clears the infection with minimal side effects."

Louise (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed a 7 day course of Nitrofurantoin (tablet form) for a urine infection, 4 x 50mg per day. After two days the symptoms had lessened and I started to feel much better. However from day 3 I became very fatigued and nauseous. I shrugged it off thinking it would go away soon but it got worse and I completely lost my appetite. My stomach hurt constantly, I had dry mouth and a pounding head. By day 5 I couldn’t physically take any more tablets. They were making me feel so ill! I sort advice from a pharmacist who said that a day 5 course should be enough and to stop taking them as they are making me unwell. I literally had no energy and felt kind of spaced out also. I will never take these tablets again and will ask for other medication in the future."

K (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2018

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm currently taking these twice a day for UTI. I'm on day 5 and I can't seem to sleep, it takes me hours my chest keeps getting tight when breathing and coughing a lot and constant headache today. I haven't eaten a meal or breakfast since 3 days ago because I have lost my appetite. I don't even feel slightly hungry. I wish these 2 days I have left on these tablets would hurry up cos I want to go sleep and eat a meal. They have got rid of my UTI my urine has also gone bright yellow as well"

Zara88 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Not my usual medication as I have had bladder Infections on and off for 20 years plus. After the 1st tablet (twice a day slow release) I felt so ill. I was so sleepy & had headache to the point of I had to have a day off work. Didn't dare take another one. Ordinary Nitrofurantoin has worked fine for years but the Doc decided I could try something different. Thanks Doc you just cost me an extra prescription charge and a sick day from work. Fuming!!"

YorkielassUK (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I really had no issues at all taking this medication. I was prescribed 100mg twice a day and I take it with a serving of cheese. The day I started I had some loose bowels but nothing too bad. I'm now on day 5 and my bladder infection hasn't cleared. I am still getting episodes of burning and I have frequent urination."

Brenda (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2018

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "Hello! I honestly have had great experience with this medication. I take one pill of Nitrofurantoin 100mg right after sex and also eat an apple with it. I used to not eat food while taking it or on an empty stomach and got so nauseous but would not throw up. I’m the type of person that gets a uti/bladder/kidney infection every single time after sex. I tried every natural preventative measure I could and still got infections. This saved my sex life tremendously and it’s made me so happy to be able to be intimate again. The reviews are scary but it was definitely worth a shot and I’m so glad I took it!"

Kiley72717 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 31, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was put on Macrobid for a UTI because I have had anaphylactic reactions to both Bactrim and penicillin based antibiotics. After the first dose I felt much better, still having pain when peeing but my kidney pain and weakness was gone. After taking the 2nd dose I started feeling extremely sick, pounding headache, blurred vision, intense nausea and pain in my neck and chest. Also still having UTI symptoms. I am afraid to take my next dosage."

Sarah (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I should of taken 4 in the space of 2 days by taken 2 ( 2 ever 12 hours) after taking my first one I got a severe bad headache and back pain, my kidney's swelled up and so did my spine. I got a red rash along my back and was struggling to sleep and breath. Didn't want to eat or drink and wasn't myself. The second day I took another after a few hours I completely lost my breath I was struggling, burning up all over, left shoulder felt loose and hurt, wasn't with it at all and thought it was the end as I was on the phone to 111. Today I didn't take anything going to the doctors as I've had a severe allergic reaction to these meds bad throat and chesty cough. My tablet's where blue and yellow and others seem to of have yellow and black? Really wouldn't recommend these to anyone!!!"

C (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2018

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "After my bladder operation I get UTI and bladder infection. First my G.P. gave me cipro 500mg twice daily and triprim 300mg once daily. After 1week I stopped cipro because was not any relief and continued just triprim for 2 or 3 weeks, it did not help. After G.P. gave me augmentin for 10 days, it did not help. After G.P. gave me macrodantin 100mg twice daily for 2 weeks and in the end of second week all symptoms disappeared but G.P. said I need to continue to take 100mg once a day for 6 weeks. I finished it 3 weeks ago and until now have not any infection. I think it works very well."

A.K. March 24, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am on Macrobid for a UTI. I've had 3 doses so far. I have some shortness of breath since starting it and today I've had joint pain and muscle pain. I have arthritis in my hip and now the pain is much worse. I read these can be side effects. I don't really know when I have a UTI because I catherize myself. I do get some back pain and some lower abdominal pain and my urine showed I did have an infection. I'm a diabetic and it's causing low blood sugars. I don't like the Macrobid and have been on Cipro in the past which didn't cause any side effects. Today is Friday and my doctor won't be back till Tuesday. I'll try to stick it out, but if I feel worse tomorrow I'm going to stop taking it and wait till Tuesday when my doctor is back."

Jeannie (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I normally get all the bad side effects you can get with medications so I was very hesitant to try this. I have been on it for several days now and the only side effect I have encountered is extreme drowsiness following each dose. I have been able to sleep when I get tired, so this has not been an issue. In fact it’s been nice after suffering sleep deprivation with intense UTI symptoms. Within 6 hours after taking my first dose I saw significant improvement in symptoms, and after 2 doses, felt pretty much back to normal. I have had many UTI's in the past and this is the best med I’ve ever had. I’m truly in love!! If you haven’t tried it, I’d recommend at least giving it a chance!"

Autumn04 (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Some comments imply all the logged side effects of this drug are not the drug but the urine infection. My GP has assured me that this is not the case. One 50 mg capsule caused extreme headache, nausea, fatigue, diarrhea with blood, nose bleed and a complete inability to function in any small way. I persevered taking 7 capsules in total as advised, before contacting my GP who saw me that same day. She was so concerned, she felt I should have a CAT scan. Just change the drugs I pleaded, its 10 hours since I took one ( 50 mg every 6 hours) and I can feel myself improving. This she did and after 3 days I was able to do light household chores, although still very fatigued. Two weeks later I am nearly back to normal, just my stamina a little low. UTI has gone after taking Trimethoprim which had minimum side effects. Why Nitrofurantonin causes these extreme adverse side effects in some but not in others is a mystery but believe me if you are susceptible they can make you very unwell."

tabitha (taken for less than 1 month) March 19, 2018

For Bladder Infection: "Absolutely awful experience with this medicine. I’m 14 weeks pregnant and was prescribed it for a mild bladder infection. About and hour after taking it my stomach started to turn. Then for the next three hours I was in excruciating pain comparable to labor pains. It felt like I was trying to digest a tennis ball. Lots of angry noises from my stomach, 6 visits to the bathroom over the course of those three hours. Severe cramping, dry heaving, chills and trembling. No way will I take another pill. It wiped out my entire digestive system and left me feeling extremely depleted."

Melnee (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have foolishly taken macrobid twice for the same infection. It seems to clear it up but actually it reappeared within two weeks. Both time had a severe reaction. High fever alternating with chills No energy whatsoever Sleeping all the time Terrible headaches Nausea Unable to eat no appetite whatsoever Dry mouth no saliva to the extent my mouth stuck together overnight and my lips cracked and it felt like I had a trout pout my mouth was so swollen tongue fuzzed up and feeling like sandpaper. These drugs are cruel, I will tell my GP I cannot take ever again , I went downhill from getting the drugs, at first I imagined it was the infection coming out or maybe worse, I have a cancer, but I really should have read these reviews the negatives are spot on. I too was referred to ER who probably weren’t aware of the side effects or that they could be so bad"

Janey (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2018