User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 2)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 41 reviews 29 medications

Urinary Tract Infection 398 reviews 186 medications

Bladder Infection 192 reviews 82 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 631 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Bladder Infection: "I used to have recurrent UTIs, and had no problems with other antibiotics. I hadn't had one in around 6 months, but am in week 7 of my second pregnancy and they've returned. I was given nitrofurantoin, 50mg 4 times per day. The first and second dose made me incredibly nauseous all day, delirious and with a fever but freezing hands and feet. The 3rd and 4th mild nausea. I'm on day 2 and there are still mild cystitis symptoms, and again the 1st dose in the morning made me nauseous and delirious. I'm too sick to leave the house to change my medication and have had to miss work, but I will definitely be asking for something else if ever prescribed this again."

Dgunvtssadhj March 7, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrodantin (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "I was prescribed a low dose of it for prevention if UTI's and it gave me diarrhea..which for someone already dealing with IBS I'm on top of constant UTI's...is not helpful at all. Aside from that no side effects. Still stopped taking it though and was prescribed methenamine... hope it works!"

kristinmcaff35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Never taking this again. Day 2 of taking this antibiotic for UTI and I have never felt so ill. Constant feeling of vomiting, bloating and loss of appetite. I rather have UTI than these symptoms. Horrible!"

Kaye8181 March 5, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My dr wanted to give me Cipro or Bactrim but since I have a pill complex, I asked for something smaller. He prescribed Macrobid and I came to this site to apparently scare myself before taking it. Well I'm here to tell you that this antibiotic was GREAT! As someone who has colitis and constant headaches, both triggered by virtually anything, neither were affected by this drug. I experienced zero side effects. I took 100mg twice a day for 5 days. I would take 1 capsule right after breakfast and 1 capsule right after dinner so it was always accompanying a meal. 5 days later, urine culture came back negative. This worked great for me! I didn't start feeling pain relief til day 4 though. Hang in there and take with meals."

keleliwei22 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "I've taken two doses after my gall baldder surgery. The first one left my lips swollen and a bit numb. In about 1 hour, my face felt hot and looked flushed. I felt tingling in my legs. The second time I took it (which was today) after 1hr I felt my face really flushed again and it was red. My chest broke out in a rash. Now I feel flu like symptoms and I have a slight fever. I feel aches all over. I'm calling my doctor on Monday to change antibiotics. I'm not taking this anymore."

Sage09173 March 3, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Been taking nitrofurantoin for a little less than 24hrs and already I feel anxious nauseous and heavy depression. But to be fair I haven't been taking them with food in me considering I have a loss of appetite due to my UTI. This is my second UTI and I don't remember me having severe side effects like the one's I'm experiencing with this pill. I'm gonna give it another day and if my symptoms don't get better then I'll be calling in for another prescription."

Rgonzales1421 March 3, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Genfura (Nitrofurantoin) after a previous antibiotic was ineffective in curing a UTI. UTI symptoms were completely gone within 3 days, but I had major side effects within hours of taking the first pill. Side effects: Worst flu like symptoms of my life and I nearly went to A&E I was so sick. I had a high fever for 2 days, chills, shallow laboured breathing, no appetite, nausea, constipation, extreme weakness, severe headache and I couldn't leave my bed for 2 days. Strangely the side effects went away as soon as they came on, and 4 days into the medication I feel fine."

UK Genfura (Nitrofurantoin) February 28, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took it for frequency and burning and hesitancy that I had. I couldn't even walk. But 30 minute after taking it all my symptoms where gone Now today (3 day after first dosage) I have a terrible headache and I'm hungry, I am nauseated but not always. I'm just thinking about those poor animals that they test this drug on them. I also experience cramps and watery diarrhea first day after taking this drug"

Sadafsasa February 28, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I started Macrobid yesterday and I felt okay but today I've had the most horrible painful stomach cramps and the weirdest constipated diarrhea I have ever had. I am constantly feeling like I need to throw up and the bowel movements and pain are what prompted me to do some Internet digging. I have taken four of 100mg pills in two days and I refuse to take another. At work today I nearly tripped several times and I was disoriented, felt sick, and had difficulty walking straight. There are other meds out there and while I know that everyone reacts differently to medication, I seriously would not wish this stomach/abdominal pain on anyone; it is incessant and keeping me from sleeping. I pray for alleviation tomorrow but fear it may take a few days."

Napoleangirl80 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Please don't be scared to take this medication. I read the reviews and was horrified, but honestly the drug was very tolerable. I went through 2 other medications for UTI before I was prescribed this one. First it was Bactrim, which a few hours after taking 3rd dose I got hives. Second was Ciprofloxacin Hcl 500mg and I ended up with tendinitis in both legs. Thirdly is Macrobid 100mg 2x a day for 7 days. My advice is to take it with a full meal. Only side effects I get is slight drowsiness, and nausea close to the 12 hours mark of my next dose. Eat large meals before taking Macrobid and then snack throughout the day and drink lots of fluids. You'll be ok."

Lily2006 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2017

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I've taken macrobid for 15 years for recurrent UTIs. I get UTIs about 4-6 times a year (ugh) so I've taken it a ton of times. Macrobid gets rid of my infections every single time without fail. The only side effect I have ever noticed, which is pretty annoying, is nausea for about 2 hours after taking each pill. Once in a blue moon I puke, but not usually. Eating and drinking with the pill lessens the nausea but doesn't totally prevent it. So, it does its job really well and eliminates my infections, but I do cringe when I have to take it because it sucks to endure the nausea."

ShesGotSauce February 24, 2017

20 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My first day of being prescribed with the medicine I thought everything will be ok. I took my first pill at 6 p.m at night when I finally got home from work, everything seemed fine. However, at 4:30 a.m I started getting serious abdominal pain and couldn't go to sleep. I started throwing up and had diarrhea, my body was so weak that I started crawling on the floor. This have to be the worst pain ever and I refuse to take it again!"

Shay.. (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After 10 days on Cipro my UTI did not clear up. Pressure, frequent urination and passing gas through my vagina (yes..Frontal farting...Anyone else have this?). I'm on my 5 th day of Macrobid and have not had any unpleasant side effects...Just some loose BM and gas."

Nelly R February 17, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I went to the ER and they determined I didn't exactly have a UTI but it was a possibility so they started me on Macrobid. I had never taken it before. Within two days I was hysterical. I had such intense migraines that I fell multiple times and couldn't see straight. My stomach was a mess, I couldn't go to the bathroom, I wanted to sleep but I couldn't fall asleep because my head was pounding too hard. I called my PCP who checked the ER records and told me I had never had a UTI to begin with and to stop the Macrobid ASAP. Once I stopped it the migraines went away, I stopped falling, my gastrointestinal system has now days later, returned to normal."

KTSM February 17, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "Only hours after taking this medication for a UTI I had severe pain in my chest! I thought it was gas and it wasn't until day four of having extreme shortness of breath and lethargy I decided to research what the side effects of this medication are. It looks like many other people have experienced breathing issues as well from taking this. I am stopping it asap and never taking it again!"

Zoe1982 February 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Horrible horrible horrible. I was prescribed this as I interact with most antibiotics. It got rid of my UTI but I was sick, had a 38 degree temperature, major shakes. I still feel lethargic and sick so for me the cons outweigh the pros. I did finish complete the course as it was only for three days- had it been a seven day course I would have stopped taking them."

purple vicky (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I woke up a week or more ago and found myself having to pee frequently. I thought "Oh that's weird." Then it began to smell funky and I decided to go get a urinalysis done. It came back negative, but the doctor gave me some Bactrim anyway. Halfway through my treatment with Bactrim, I had an allergic reaction and called it in. They gave me Macrobid instead, and gosh is it expensive. I took it for a few days for a total of 5 days on antibiotics and my symptoms were gone, but something new was happening. I always felt fatigued and nauseated, especially when I woke up, and when I tried to eat, I felt like my appetite had left me completely. My stools had turned to diarrhea and my stomach always felt uneasy. The doc took me off them."

Ixie February 13, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Both extremes of Macrobid are accurate. I've had a lot of UTIs- to the point of having Macrobid prescribed with refills as needed. I never experienced any symptoms and this stuff was like a miracle. Took 24 hrs to kick in and felt great. I didn't get a UTI for 2 years and then just got one. I took Macrobid and it has made me feel horrible! I feel weak, have no energy, am always dizzy, have headaches, diarrhea, bad pain around my lymph nodes and always feel like I need to throw up. Fortunately I'm a sahm (stay at home mom) so I'm able to deal with it at home, but I had to have someone take my child to school because I couldn't get out of bed! Also it feels like it hasn't completely started working. So it can be great and horrible, even with the same person!"

Danielle_3456 February 10, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My experience was HORRIBLE. I was prescribed this medication for a UTI. 30 minutes after taking the first dose, my mood changed for the worst. I became extremely irritable and suddenly super hungry. My appetite eventually went away completely, but my irritability did not. I went into a psychotic rage at one point when my mom was yelling for no reason(like always, typical mom) and was provoking me, and hadn't seen my texts of me telling her I was having a bad reaction so she didn't know. Then before bed, I felt like I was deathly ill, my body was aching, major headache, chills, racing heart. I have anxiety so this medication caused my heart to race even more. I then began crying uncontrollably and felt overwhelmingly sad. Never taking again!"

Luna828 (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid for a UTI. Within 12 hours of my first dose, I had extreme body and muscle pain from my ankles to my shoulders. I am 100% aware that many people can take Macrobid and be fine, I'm just relieved to read that some other people went through what I did for the simple fact that I thought I was dying! The morning after I started taking the meds, even my lungs felt bruised. I was too weak to hardly even walk. I returned to the doctor and totally thought they would hospitalize me. He wrote me a new script and sent me home. My mother and husband took turns taking care of me until I stopped vomiting and writhing in pain, which in total took days. I couldn't eat and even couldn't take care of my small children for two days."

Freaked out! (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "First off, I have a history of having UTI. This past one has been a real doozy and the medication was changed four times! The last antibiotic prescribed is macrobid 100 mg 2xday. The first day I was nauseated and delirious with bad nightmares. It was a sick flu like feeling along with bad chills. I kept taking them as I thought what else.?! This sick feeling calmed by third day and two more (4 pills) left. I feel better but my bladder has been through too much with so many infections with wrong medications. I really wish my Dr would focus more on prevention. Macrobid definitely gave me bad side effects compared to any other antibiotics...but it seemed to clear the infection hopefully it doesn't return!"

EloiseJames February 9, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "Started nifurantoin on Friday. After fifth dose started headache, chills, flu like symptoms. Then severe low back pain and I thought, this moved to my kidneys. Took two more doses and went to my Dr. on Monday with insane low back pain, and joint pain down my body. I thought maybe I had the flu. When I told the nurse my symptoms she said "it's the medication, your urine shows no infection now. " Dr. confirmed and changed the medicine after telling me her patients that react this way look and feel like they have the flu. Today is day five and I still have bad low back pain. I wonder how long it will last because it's horrible. Dr's should warn their patients."

Adreyd February 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "I was prescribed Nitrofurantoin for a bladder infection. My first day of taking this medicine my feet and hands became so very cold and I could not control the chills my hands became very pale it felt like frost bike like there were pins and needles in my fingers, I also became very lethargic and nauseated. I also had very intense pain in my lower back. I stopped taking them. I waited a few days and I took it at night before going to bed. I wake up in the middle of the night with the same chills, numbness and tingling to my fingers and toes, nauseated and tired. This time I contacted my doctor and she advised me to stop taking the medication. I won't take this medication ever again."

Bayl February 6, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I began to take Macrobid (Nitrofurantoin mono) 100mg caplets on last Thursday for a UTI. Within 24 hours I had severe muscle aching, headache, and fatigue. Within 2 days I had even more severe body aches, joint pain, extreme fatigue and sleepiness, dizziness and difficulty walking as well as a fever of 101-102 degrees. I went in to a walk in clinic but symptoms progressed and by Sunday I was in the ER thinking I was in septic shock. I assumed my infection had spread, I had no idea it could be a reaction to the antibiotic. After a barrage of tests including a CT scan, the only possibility is that this poison was wrecking my health. This medication caused me a huge amount of problems. I stopped taking it yesterday and still have a headache, dizziness, muscle aches and low fever. I can only hope the damage caused by Macrobid is not permanent."

Mom in NM (taken for less than 1 month) February 6, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bladder Infection: "I took 100mg at 12 noon with food, by 4pm I was in bed chills like I had never had before the ache resembled someone sitting on my chest and pulling a belt tight. I felt sick and the pain was awful. I took the second one at 10pm and four hours later the effects were so bad, I was throwing up and gagging when I breathed in. The Dr actually came out to me changed the anti biotics. Took around three days for symptoms to go away. I now feel I have no energy. The infection has cleared up so that is a relief but I won't be taking this medication ever again."

Crazycow (taken for less than 1 month) February 4, 2017