User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 2)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 33 reviews 29 medications

6.8
Urinary Tract Infection 272 reviews 182 medications

Bladder Infection 151 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 456 reviews 5.5

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Second time I have had this tablet nitrofantenoin side effects were nasty this time round down right horrible. After 2 days headache started quite bad, shaky, anxious, irritable dreadful nausea was sick once. Chills. After 4 days feel I have a dreadful illness fast heartbeat stopped taking tablets. Still feel anxious & crying and getting upset so easily. The headache has come back as the day has worn on. Maybe it's fading. I hope so? Will never take this tablet again. UTI gone."

Jenharri June 6, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "Prescribed for a UTI. Long story short I thought there was something seriously wrong with me. Sever body aches, joint pain, back, chest, fever up to 101.7, major chills, headache, anxious, depressed, crying, irritable, FATIGUE, weakness, night sweats, tight jaw, the list goes on and on. This medication is dangerous and I'm glad I stumbled across this site because I thought I was going crazy. I have 1 more day of this horrible medication and I'll stick it out because I don't want to have to take anymore antibiotics. 100mg 2x a day for 7 days"

No no no more June 6, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was put on this antibiotic to take after I had sex, it was my last hope I get a UTI every time me and my boyfriend have had sex and have 18 since January. Anyway I took this pill in hope it will be the only thing to work for me I'm only on my second dose so I cannot give an accurate answer but so far my ratings are not good after taking true first pill it worked however the next time I had sex with my boyfriend I took this antibiotic and felt the symptoms of a UTI coming back on, the side effects I experienced on this pill were also fast heart beat, drowsiness, waking up in the middle of the night neaseous and shortness in breath which is very scary when trying to sleep, good luck to anyone taking this antibiotic as I give up."

Elljade June 4, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "50mg for 90 days. Every day I'm nauseated especially after taking the pill, often dry heave, and have even vomitted. Headaches and fatigue. However, my UTI cleared up and I have only experienced one flare up so far. I'd rather have my stomach wretch for a few hours over the pain and discomfort of a UTI."

Ashley Walker (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Wasted my money on this antibiotic. Made me feel so nauseated for several hours after taking it, & gave me diarrhea, but I tried it for four days, twice daily, hoping it might treat the UTI I had it prescribed for. No such luck Yet. Still having symptoms of burning, urgency and frequency; now I'll be going back to the clinic, to wait for hours and get a new script. Wait in line at the pharmacy, pay more money...Such a waste of precious time, money & sick leave."

Jobogru (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was on Cipro, only 6 pills but after taking the last one I still had UTI symptoms. Was prescribed Nitrofurantoin, can't tell if it's working since I've only taken the first capsule, but the side effects are horrible! All day I had one of the worst headaches ever! Felt weak, fatigued and diahrea. Will call the Dr. today to find out what can I do."

Bubita (taken for less than 1 month) June 2, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took 1 dose, I felt relief right away. That's great, cuz I felt awful!!!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "This medication landed me in the ER twice this week. I developed a fever that went as high as 102.6, shaking chills, the worst headache of my life (they thought it might be meningitis) and body aches and tiredness. Within a few days later, difficulty breathing, tingling hands and feet, and severe abdominal pain bat led to vomiting. This is not worth what it was prescribed for!!"

AJackR May 29, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was prescribed Macrobid in a third world country by an urgent care doctor. So I'm not sure if or how it might differ from the US formulation. I experienced absolutely no negative side effects. Not even fatigue. However, the pain and discomfort from the UTI returns right around the time I need to take my next pill (2x daily for 7 days). After I take the pill, the pain goes away. But after finishing all of my prescribed Macrobid, I still have some discomfort so I feel as though it did not clear up the infection."

CH2016123 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I took this twice a day for 5 days. Cleared my infection but made me tired, hot, and had shortness of breath the whole time. Had nausea the first two days but that went away. Allergic to sulfa and several other drugs so this was prescribed. While it worked, I don't think I would ASK for this again."

Sterling2001 May 22, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was told I have a POSSIBLE UTI from my doctor which is very common during pregnancy. I had one with my first child. I started taking this antibiotics yesterday and I was extremely nauseous and fatigued. I am in my second trimester and was over my morning sickness. I eat a full meal and drank plenty of fluids with this antibiotic like your suppose to and I am just miserable..... with this being only a possible diagnosis I think I'm going to stop taking it. It's not even worth this feeling. BLAH!"

Pregger mommy (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After taking the first dose I felt relieved, but the side effects are just wooziness, stomach discomfort and some restlessness, but all these stopped after about 30mins. It sure stopped the UTI, but since my own reaction to it was not excessive, I'm OK with it."

Rukevwe May 17, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "My best friend had an anaphlactoid reaction to this medication and died within 7 days. Doctors sent her home from the ER. She had a heart attack within the following 17 hours."

Shouldhavespokenup May 16, 2016

For Prevention of Bladder infection: "It works great for the bladder infection, but the only thing..I itch like crazy in my hands first, then feet, my head..I was on them about 3 weeks.call my Dr.she had to stop them. Short term was fine. But over 1 1/2 weeks is when the itching started . Never take them on an empty stomach."

Mstreny (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "After suffering for almost 2 weeks from an undiagnosed uti I was given this antibiotic which, after reading other reviews, I was a bit apprehensive about. It worked quickly for me and although it does have slight side effects it was worth having been as the infection cleared up."

Wilsons lady May 14, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took this drug for 3 days.The infection got better after 2 doses. However, I slowly developed headaches and a little chills on the 2nd day of treatment. Thought I might be getting a bit of flu so I ignored the symptoms and continue my medication. As soon as I took the last dose, my symptoms got worst. I was so weak I could hardly walk. My eyes got blurry and generally nauseous and drowsy. As I type this, I still have all this symptoms with raised heart beat, occasional numbness of my hands and feet. All I want is to sleep but too scared to sleep just in case it got worst. Nonetheless, the medicine does the job as it cleared my infection after two days of taking it but it gave me a bad experience so am not taking this drug again."

pen01 May 11, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "After eating food I took one dose, within a few hours force to bed, chills, projectile vomiting and horrible diarrhea, back to bed, chills continued then horrible abdomen pains so bad, I wished to die, so not me. It was impossible to move, by morning, severe headache which lasted many days, pains neck and achilles tendon lasting for days. Unable to eat, slept 12 hours daily for a week. Checking on line I read a report stating these meds should never be given to a woman over age 50..."

barbar jean May 9, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "This is the first time my doctor prescribed this type of medication for my UTI. I have to say this was the best one by far. I had no side effects and I started feeling better after only 2 days."

kristenkayla88 May 9, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "Prescribed 150mgs 4 times a day for 7 days. I now have thrush, headache, nausea, still have backache, dry mouth, fatigue & worst of all my words get jumbled when I'm talking. Have 4 doses left to take and feel its too late to swap. I'll never take this again. A dangerous drug. Give me the 3 tablet course next time - works a treat"

Steph h (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I took Nitrofurantoin for 2 days and had to stop. The dosage was meant to be for a week. I developed a fever, tight sore throat, dry cough, difficulty swallowing, extreme fatigue, nausea, dizziness. I also had neck pain, my skin felt sore when touched. These symptoms are continuing 5 days after I stopped taking the medication. Never again!"

TyaTya (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Severe nausea. Dry heaves and vomiting."

Jo in Azusa May 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Have been on this for 48 hours, have nausea, diarrohea, headache, loss of appetite and feel generally unwell. I still have the original symptoms. The weekend is here, so will stick it out until Monday before ringing GP. Thanks for everyones comments."

Fayesy April 29, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took Macrobid for five days. It caused constant nervousness/jitteriness and I could not sleep. Two days after Macrobid regime was done, my UTI started up again. So much pain and suffering for nothing. What upsets me the most is that I had told the nurse at the clinic that Cipro works for me, and she prescribed Macrobid instead! Some people are worse than useless."

Apple Annie April 27, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was wondering why I was so fatigued and now the mystery is solved thanks to this page. It has alleviated the UTI symptoms but from reading through the board, it looks like there are better options."

sullspinn (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "After being diagnosed with a UTI, I was given macrobid 100mg 2xday. The first day was fine. On the second day, I noticed a lot of stomach pain after taking each dose. On the 3rd day, I woke up with a headache, abdominal pain, and a weak and ill feeling. I called my doctor to see if i could get switched to another medication. I felt ill, foggy headed and anxious the rest of that day. I did not like this medication and won't take it again."

Jillybean2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016