User Reviews for Nitrofurantoin (Page 2)

Also known as: Furadantin, Macrobid, Macrodantin, Nitro Macro

Learn more about Nitrofurantoin.

Prevention of Bladder infection 38 reviews 29 medications

7.2
Urinary Tract Infection 357 reviews 185 medications

4.9
Bladder Infection 179 reviews 81 medications

4.8
Summary of Nitrofurantoin reviews 574 reviews 5.6

Reviews for Nitrofurantoin

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I know a lot of people seem to have quite bad side effects however this was not the case with me. I had been suffering so bad from a severe UTI, went to the docs and got a prescription. I took my first dose at 11am, around 3pm that same day my severe symptoms were now non existent. I continued taking the medication for 5 days in total which is what my doctor advised, and didn't have one side effect. Maybe I'm lucky but honestly this medication worked perfectly for me."

Aj_345x December 9, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I get UTI's 2-3 times/year and I made an appointment with my doctor to get meds, but she was unavailable, so I had to see another one. (New doctor=different medication than the last time) I'm starting day 3 of this antibiotic and although I'm not in pain, I still feel uncomfortable down there. A previous medication I've taken, I felt fine by the next day. I know it can take a few days for the medication to take full effect, but compared to previous meds, this one doesn't work as fast. Side effects: It might not be from the medication, but I feel just really drained and tired. TAKE WITH FOOD! I've noticed several reviews where people said they experienced nausea. I take the medication after I eat and I haven't had any issues at all."

Bailey5710 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Prescribed this medication for 5 days for UTI after Day 2 my symptoms were almost gone. However during the course of treatment, I had terrible flu like symptoms and my heart was really racing and pounding. It was scary. Nevertheless I finished all the antibiotics and after one day without treatment, the UTI symptoms came right back! SMH wow so now I have to call the dr. In the morning. This medication didn't have work for me for a UTI it only eased the symptoms during treatment."

MamaDebbie (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "So I just had a breast reduction 3 weeks ago, & two weeks into the healing process I got my 1st UTI. I consulted friends of the pain after urinating & they suggested lots of water & cranberry juice which didn't do much at all. A few days later after consuming all that liquid my kidneys started throbbing. I couldn't take it, & went to the doctors. They prescribed me Microbid. I'm currently on day 3, twice a day with food. I've experienced fevers, chills, constant abdominal & kidney pains to the point of tears. Only thing that's stopped hurting is going to the washroom. I'm on this medication for 4 more days & hoping I recover soon. My body's under enough stress with the reduction/infection so I'm hoping that this med will clear the UTI up"

Athenaxo December 7, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "My doctor thought I had both a uti and yeast infection. 1 capsule was all I will take out of the 14 I got. I felt so nauseous and dizzy the rest of the day, I could only lie in bed, which caused me to miss my boyfriend's birthday. They also recommend to take it with food, which I did, so that wasn't the issue..."

Nope nope nope December 6, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "WARNING!!! I was hospitalized after taking just two days out of the 5 prescribed of macrobid (nitrofunatol). I went to urgent care for a UTI and after the 5th dose. I began to not be able to catch my breath and my body felt tingly and feet felt bruised. I stopped taking the medication and about a day later, I could barely breathe, my entire back seized up into the most excruciating pain I've ever felt in my entire life. I could not move my head without a migraine-like headache pulsating in my ears and top of my head. 5 days later I am still virtually bedridden, vomiting, no appetite, my body feels like a giant bruise and my skin tingles and hurts to touch even with clothing. Tread carefully around this stuff, it's not worth the pain AT ALL"

Shay M December 5, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "No side effects, 15 days after taking the 1 week supply plus the 1 week refill... and my infection has come again... this is a nightmare...steer clear"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Macrobid caused me to get really sick and did NOT clear up a urinary tract infection. I will not take this medicine again as it was not right for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I have never posted a review but, I wanted to let people know out there that you don't have to be afraid to take this if you need to. I am one of those who always Googles medicine reviews and I scared myself half to death with the horrible reviews on this antibiotic. So worried that I almost didn't take it. Well, I'm glad I did. It took away my UTI that was going into my kidneys and I had absolutely NO side effects. Yes, everyone is different and some people will have bad effects from it but, I am very sensitive to medications and I had no issues whatsoever. Always be sure to take it with food and just let it do it's job!"

Missxhausman November 27, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have had this medication 3 times now and on taking the very first tablet after about 5 hours it felt like I had been hit by a truck. Really fast heart, aching all over, couldn't even walk to the loo had to crawl on all fours, terrible headache, really bad flu symptoms. It lasted 24 hour for the heart rate to go down but 3 days for the larthagicness to go. Will definately not be taking these again, never felt so ill"

Dotty45 November 25, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I am only 18 years old and had to take this for a Uti. This would be my 4th one this year and I haven't had any other problems with any of the other antiobiotics I've taken until this one. STAY CLEAR OF THIS!!! It is absolutely awful. I had to take it twice a day for 7 days and let me tell you this medication made me feel like RUBBISH for all of the seven days. I dreaded taking this and everytime I took it I would have a minor breakdown and would gag just even looking at it. Like why would I purposely want to consume something that practically poisoned me. For seven days straight I had SEVERE nausea and i felt like I was going to puke all day, along with that, I had the worst pounding headaches. I couldnt even get out of bed the first 3 days"

mmm12345678 November 24, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "okay,i never ever post on review boards, but with all these high level ratings for this drug i just had to speak out. this drug is poison, literal poison. im only on my second dosage and it feels like my body is shutting down. rite this moment i am vomiting every ten mins, my head hurts constantly, and my body is riddled with the chills and shakes. i have followed the dr directions to the tee, taking it with food and all of that and it still has made me feel miserable. yes it has healed my uti almost instantly but now the rest of my body is suffering and breaking down because of it. please seek other options before taking this medication, please, i beg you, this is a very strong, dangerous drug."

AshtonVG November 22, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Prevention of Bladder infection: "i would experience urinary tract infections multiple times a year due to sexual intercourse. I would always make sure that my partner and I would both wash off before sexual intercourse to cut down on the spreading of bacteria which helped but I still suffered from frequent utis. My doctor then prescribed macrobid. I have had no negative side effects with or without food and I have had ZERO urinary tract infections for the past 9 months. This medicine has really increased my quality of life including my sex life. Definitely recommend!"

Anonymous November 17, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I have Spina Bifida and Hydrocephalus. I have a complicated internal body structure. I have been very very tired and after reading the side effects I do believe taking nitrofurantoin is the whole cause. Three days and I'm on my last day of taking the drug. I am a resident of England and was born here so I'm not insured. I am a NHS patient."

Mrs H Metcalfe November 17, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Update on last message - after the Nitrofurantoin confusion, was about to take 2nd dose late at night when my throat tightened and lungs seemed short on air. Also neck palpitations, so decided no way was I taking 2nd dose. In morning GP prescribed different tablet - Trimethoprim - and feeling fine taking it."

sam60 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Okay so I've been having a UTI on and off for about a year. I did not read or know anything about this medication before taking it. I get migraines so I'm on metaprolol and this antibiotic did not trigger migraines or headaches. I was given an anti-nausea medication as I have been very nauseous (prior to antibiotics). I took this antibiotics without food and never experienced any negative or bad side effects. Ultimately would have been worth it but I still have burning with urination and so bad I cried so it was not worth it for me. Every UTI is different so I am saying that if the uti clears I recommend it even if there are side effects."

Ldf0123 November 15, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Had suspected UTI (AGAIN!) for past 2 weeks. GP prescribed Nitrofurantoin today. Took one 50 g pill with dinner and water this evening but hours later am still feeling awful. Have sense of being spaced out and confused. have been sitting quietly, no tv, for hours as this was quite scary. Couldn't concentrate on tv or book. Don't know if I should continue with this and take 2nd pill, or just get usual alternative tomorrow, can't remember name of it. Any advice would be grateful thanks."

sam60 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Been taking this medication since last Mon,,,never ever felt so Ill in my whole life constant headache,,nausea,so lethargic,only two left to take,,I will never take these again,I have continued with them as Dr prescribed but yes uti has cleared,,,these tablets have severe side effects"

Ten pound note133 November 13, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I've been having repeat bladder/kidney infection... 5 in 4 mths.. have no idea the cause..being sent for kidney scan.My last lot of antibiotics ( currently) were these.. I got to day 4 and was hit with a high fever, uncontrollable shivering, every muscle in my body hurt, sore back & neck and thumping headache. took paracetamol and ibrofen and within 3 hours started to feel my temp come down. The next morning I read the side effects..OMG..I was experiencing most of them the wheezy breathing and cough now started. Because it's a Saturday and it says consultant your doctor if you experience any side effects. I've just stopped taking them... it was really scary. From reading the other comments I think it'll take 2 days to start to feel better."

Lisa Watson (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Bladder Infection: "I have been prescribed Macrobid 3 times in the span of a year for UTIs. The first and second time I took Macrobid, I had no side effects at all. The third time I took it, I had a 101 fever within hours of the second dose, shallow breathing and cough, and diarrhea. My fingers were tingling too. I immediately stopped taking it and it's been not quite 2 days yet but the fever is going away. I'm going to have to look into natural remedies for UTIs now. I admit that I thought everyone else on here was "crazy" writing about their side effects when I had none...until it happened to me. Just because you didn't have any the first time doesn't mean you won't next time, like I did."

alsss November 11, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm on my 4th pill of Macrobid...ok the reviews here will scare the crap out of you but let me give you a few tips. I made sure my dr prescribed me Zofran so when I took the first pill ( be sure to take it with FOOD) I took a Zofran . I did feel nauseous for about 30 mins and felt a little woozy but it didn't last long ...took the 2nd pill with FOOD and got a headache but nothing horrible and had no other side effects ... By the time I took the third pill I had no side effects but I still took pill with food and zofran . Don't let the reviews scare you . I feel so much better after 4 pills as far as my infection and the more the pills get in your system the less severe the side effects should be. Zofran and food and you'll be good to go"

C Slate (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "Took 1 pill 50mg because I'm sensitive to medication. Within 2 hours, I itched everywhere. Took 25mg of Benadryl. Breathing is slightly labored as well. Dr reassured me I'd be okay. I'm limited to use of antibiotics due to severe allergic reactions. I feel nauseated and have a horrible headache. Was given this for kidney stones and high red blood cell count indicating unknown infection. I wish this would go away on its own ugh!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "So far so good. Im on my 2nd day. NO side effects..that I am aware of. I did sleep a little harder last night..lol. I just found this and read some of the other reviews, but I honestly haven't noticed anything real abnormal. This is my 1st time taking it. I am usually given bactrim for uti's because I am highly allergic to penicillin. I usually dont have fever or severe pain with a uti, but I think I have had one for a while now due to other uti symptoms. So i dont think bactrim has been working. I do not have a regular doctor (cant afford it), and I feel awful having to constantly go to the ER...only to end up STILL having a UTI. I just hope this finally gets rid of it. Im tired of spending $$ on antibiotics only for it to not work."

Tried&Tested November 3, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "If I had seen this site before taking Nitro, I'd have chosen to avoid it.. However I'm glad I didn't. I get UTI's without fail every time I have sex, sometimes I just got them for the sake of getting them, or drinking too many fizzy drinks, it got to the point it was almost constant. I thought I was just cursed and that there was no escape and was debating urethral dilation with my Urologist. However, he recommend I try this before going any further. It has changed my life. I have no side effects and am free of UTIs as long as I take a pill post coitus, the hassle of doing so doesn't phase me as it is nice to be able to enjoy my life with no risk of UTIs. I recommend this to everyone who struggled like I did."

Catsky (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

Macrobid (nitrofurantoin) for Urinary Tract Infection: "I was on holiday and prescribed these by the Dr at the walk in centre, after a week, I still have faint burning, still urinating frequently, cold/flu symptoms, headaches ( I rarely suffer with headaches) sharp pains in my stomach, and still feeling sick even after not taking them for 2 days. Back to my own Dr's tomorrow. This drug is horrid!!!!"

BethanyArcher October 30, 2016