User Reviews for Cefuroxime to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Also known as: Ceftin, Zinacef

Cefuroxime has an average rating of 6.7 out of 10 from a total of 17 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection. 59% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 29% reported a negative effect.

Cefuroxime Rating Summary

6.7/10 average rating

Compare all 291 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Cefuroxime

Lymie · Taken for less than 1 month February 1, 2014

Ceftin (cefuroxime): “Have chronic Lyme disease - causing depressed immune function. Ceftin eliminated my urinary tract infection in one week without any side reactions. Felt better after first dose. Love this medication!”

Danilo A. Cadog · Taken for less than 1 month March 6, 2015

“I have suffered pain in my abdomen and back portion. It was diagnosed that I have urinary tract infection. My doctor was advised to take cefuroxime axetil 500mg 2 x a day good for 7 days. The pain was over even after took taking 1 tablet. It's nice no side effects I have felt while I took this medicine until I finished in 7 days.”

Bobbie B. September 5, 2008

“10 days ago, I was diagnosed with urinary tract infection and was prescribed cefuroxime axetil 500 mg 2 x a day. After the first capsule, the severe symptoms of infection were gone. Although I've experienced light headedness and some anxiety after the morning dose, I think, it's worth it compared to the pain and anxiety experienced during the infection.”

Andrew P. July 1, 2008

“I'm in the last couple of days of a 10-day prescription for cefuroxime (Ceftin) to treat acute prostatitis and mild bladder infection. The pain and discomfort subsided 3-4 days after beginning treatment. I've been managing the loose stool problem with multiple small portions of yogurt during the day. I'm also experiencing mild irritability and anxiety while taking the drug, a fair trade-off compared to my symptoms before starting treatment.”

JediMaster April 29, 2020

“Had a UTI 2 wks ago. Was Rx'd Nitrofurantoin 2x daily. Then on the 25th, started having symptoms of UTI again. Went back to urgent care yesterday. Doc did another UA, and the results even specified which antibiotic would work the best, which was this med. Took first dose last night with zofran because antibiotics make me sick and went to bed. Took two doses today and feel TONS better! So far I've had no side effects but I take a probiotic so I think it's helped. A note to those who suffer from joint pain and swelling on ANY antibiotic; there's the risk of tendon rupture so if you experience pain and swelling of any extremity, see your doctor ASAP to rule it out. Hoping y'all are doing ok during the COVID19 pandemic. Please stay safe!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month August 29, 2017

Ceftin (cefuroxime): “When I read all of the reviews I was kind of terrified to start Ceftin, but I had no reason to be! The only side effect I found for the first day was gas and bloating, but it definitely could've been unrelated. As long as you take this antibiotic with a meal (nothing crazy, doesn't have to be huge) and take probiotics daily, you should be totally fine! I've been on it for 4 days and I feel great with no side effects. Tomorrow is my last day, so I'm hoping my UTI will be cleared out! My only complaint is that because I took the liquid, it definitely was not pleasant to swallow and I found the easiest way to make it tolerable was to mix it with a sweeter flavored drink, as the antibiotic is a bit gritty and bitter.”

Lai · Taken for less than 1 month July 24, 2018

“I was diagnosed having UTI and my doctor requires me to take cefuroxime 500mg 3x/day. I’m on my 3rd day of medication but the first time I took the medicine I vomited. However, it reduces the pain on my back and it is not painful to urinate anymore.”

Kamlesh · Taken for less than 1 month September 28, 2019

“I was diagnosed for UTI on 21/9/2019 and the doctor prescribed me two tabs cefuroxime a day. The medication is for 5 days. The antibiotic works as expected and has some side effects. I had a severe headache for two days and to get through it, I took a cup of cold milk with honey. On the note, I didn't have any pain during urination.”

AlimaS June 18, 2015

“Had a normal UTI was prescribed Bactrim. After 4 days I started to get a 102 fever with backache. Went to ER and was prescribed Ceftin. Feel much better although my tummy is making all kinda noises and very loose stools.”

pattihurst · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2020

“I have taken Cefuroxime axetil 500 mg twice times daily for 7 days. It's works well and no side effects. After I took pills in just few days and the pain disappeared and the infection comes out clean. It's significantly helpful and no symptoms though. I recommend. After that, I took other antibiotic medication named nitrofurantoin MCR 100 mg, take twice daily for three days and then take 1 pill for 3 days. It's seldom doesn't work sometimes, while I drank lot of water, but the infection get back after took all medicine next few days later, probably 5-6 days.”

Yo · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2020

“1st took cefuroxime for 10 days and worked well but 3-4 days later symptoms returned (infection). After a week was re-given this drug. First 2 days had chills, feverish, swollen L hand (had cut on it) and developed chest pressure 2nd night. 3d day swelling in L hand diminished but chills and feverish symptoms persist.”

Helpful tips March 17, 2016

“Omg this is the worst antibiotic ever I almost finished a whole two weeks supply and felt no better I've been back too the doctor 3 times since using this antibiotic it did nothing for my pain or me hopefully sulfamethoxazole-trimethoprim works better”

RizzoDizzo April 10, 2017

“I came down with a UTI on 4/1/17. My Primary Care Provider couldn't get me in so I ended up going to Urgent Care on 4/6/17 as I couldn't stand to suffer any longer. (I have compromised kidneys so nearly every time I get a UTI it develops into a kidney infection) The Urgent Care doctor prescribed me Cefuroxime. I was surprised when I picked it up from the pharmacy because it wasn't the same anti-biotic that I normally get prescribed for my UTI/kidney infections. Today is 4/10/17 and I still feel absolutely awful. It seems to be having no effect. I'm used to feeling better relatively quickly with the other antibiotic that I'm normally prescribed. I guess I'll be heading back to the doctor this week!”

Lys · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2020

“I have taken Ceftin several times for sinus infections and it has worked well with minimal side effects. I went to urgent care with a UTI and she put me on Macrobid which I had never take before (first UTI) and it seemed to help alleviate symptoms pretty quickly but I felt worse physically. My PCP switched me to Ceftin 250 mg 2x a day for 10 days. It didn’t seem to work as quickly but it did work and I had no side effects, but I know I tolerate this drug very well. All antibiotics cause stomach upset so take a good quality probiotic, solaray urgent care probiotic and florastor keep my stomach pretty normal while on antibiotics.”

Anne · Taken for less than 1 month January 30, 2020

“I was diagnosed with a UTI on Jan 28, 2020 and my doc prescribed me this cefuroxime medicine to be taken 2x a day for 5 days. I just started taking it an hour ago and then I vomited. I felt better somehow. Its my first time to experience vomiting while on antibiotic but I hope this would help clear up any infections and no vomiting anymore. I must finish this medication for 5 days, as prescribed. All the best wishes for us during this hard time.”

Boss · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2019

“Prescribed cefuroxime for MRSA UTI infection for 7 days. Did not help to remove pain from the very first day. I developed green discharge from my sinuses, 37C fever, disorientation, nausea. Did not help at all.”

Still in pain · Taken for less than 1 month August 27, 2020

“Age 27 Female. Had UTI for a long time, had no symptoms though. Cloudy smelly urine a day before I felt pain. All of a sudden, left side and groin started aching. Could hear and feel stuff on left side. VERY uncomfortable. Tele Doc suspected Pyelonephritis. Put me on Augmentin 875-125 mg twice a day for 10 days. Did not work. Went to urgent care 2 days later, put me on cefuroxime axetil 500 mg twice daily for 14 days. Pain subsided for 4 days, fifth day pain returned. Thought it was because I was drinking a lot of coffee. (It wasnt!) Doc put me on Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice a day for 7 days. Praying it will work”

Mbweha November 13, 2019

“On my 2nd day on cefuroxime medication and it's working well for my UTI, thou the smell of the medicine turns me off. Take the medicine after eating. I have not experienced any side effects.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2017