User Reviews for Cephalexin

Also known as: Biocef, Daxbia, Keflex, Keftab, Panixine, Zartan

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Cephalexin.

Cephalexin Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Cephalexin to treat Bladder Infection

"Was on this medication, 3 X a day for 7 days, for a recurring bladder infection. Burning and frequent urination cleared up by the 2nd day. No side effects. However, within 10 days after the last dose the full blown symptoms came back."

YumaMike (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I a week ago had a lot of pain in my bladder. It felt like my bladder was swollen in my body. The bladder pain was BAD. I went to a doctor and I took a urinalysis test. To see if I had a bladder infection. I had blood in my urine. I got prescribed the generic of Keflex to take it twice a day. I finished all this antibiotic, it's the first bladder infection I've have in 6 months. I won't wait as long as I did to get medical help for my bladder. I have no bladder pain now. I feel a lot better."

SarahV. (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first antibiotic I took did nothing, so my doctor put me on Cephalexin AN. Within a few hours my symptoms started to subside, probably about 5 hours later. I'm now on the second day and I feel back to normal after 11 days of what seemed like hell. It makes me feel slightly nauseated but it's worth it. Make sure your taking probiotics as antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria."

Louise123456789 September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medicine was effective in curing a UTI during pregnancy but it was also effective as causing upset stomach and vomiting. I am allergic to penicillin and had no allergic reactions to Keflex but it did cause me to feel very ill by the second pill of the day. I took this medicine 3x a day for 8 days and by the second day, I knew we would have stomach issues. I took plenty of probiotics but it's just a very powerful medicine."

Harrimo August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The first day I took it my skin felt flushed and I had a bad headache and dizziness (almost chickened out then). But these effects improved as I continued to take the medicine. I was prescribed 500mg three times a day for 5 days for trace leukocytes in my urine. I've never taken cephalexin before, and I'm very sensitive to medications (slow metabolizer) and already cannot take several antibiotics due to allergies (cipro, nitrofuratoin and sulfa). So I'm thankful that I seem to be okay with the cephalexin (I'm running out of antibiotics that I can take!). I haven't noticed any other side effects, not even diarrhea. As for my symptoms, some have improved but not all. I only have 2 pills left but not all of my symptoms went away yet. I hope it works."

42yoWoman (taken for less than 1 month) May 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keflex (cephalexin): "I have a double whammy: I have interstitial cystitis (which feels like a constant bladder infection), and on top of that I'm prone to actual bladder infections. I've learned to be able to tell the difference between a bladder infection and a cystitis flare up. I have A LOT of drug allergies and can not take sulfa drugs or Cipro, which are commonly prescribed for bladder infections. Keflex has been the ONLY antibiotic that I can take that doesn't give me any side effects AND gets rid of the infection. It's saved my bacon on numerous occasions. I also prophylactically take Acidophilus orally and douche with plain yogurt to avoid yeast infections. It all works like a charm. I have NEVER had a bad side effect from Keflex."

Shedoc (taken for 10 years or more) April 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was experiencing pressure in lower abdomen and urge to urinate frequently(approx 2 x's per hour sometimes more) Tried amoxicillin which did nothing. Was given cephalexin 500mg 2x's daily. First 3 days noticed a change. Only issue was a headache. Day 4 urination frequency was decreasing (once every 2-2 and 1/2 hrs) and most pressure/pain was gone. Continued to drink water, cranberry juice and kefir to restore good bacteria and prevent yeast infection/and/or another uti..apparently it's common for it to recur due to wiping out positive bacteria. Will finish 7 day regimen and start taking "Friendly Flora" in hopes of preventing future issues. I believe this antibiotic is working great & hope it knocks out infection completely."

KatJhn February 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keflex (cephalexin): "I do not understand why doctors, frequently, prescribe Keflex for bladder or urinary tract infections, considering how many side effects it creates. Why not just plain, old Amoxicillin? I, all too frequently, get an U.T.I. Usually it is a very mild infection. When I use it, I get muscle pain, back pain, anxiety, and agitation. There must be a gentler, kinder, and safer antibiotic to be used to kill bacteria. I wish I knew the name of one. I would, then, ask my doctor or an ER doctor to prescribe it for me. I am tired of doctors telling me it is the best antibiotic to use for an U.T.I. It makes me sick! "

TwoDimes (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have urine infection with pain and blood . Doctor gave Keflex 500mg 3 times per day on 7 day course. After the third tablet on first day, the pain is almost gone and there is no more blood. Very happy and will continue to finish the whole course 7 days. Keflex works very well for me."

JenTan December 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started keflex oral 10ml 3x per day for 7 days. On day 3 now and almost symptom free! So far no side effects - hope it stays that way! If you can't swallow pills like me or if pills don't agree with you, try the liquid. Mine is flavored!"

kohta (taken for less than 1 month) December 5, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Commonly known as Keflex. I had burning when urinating, urgency, retention, bloating and went to the ER. The ER MD diagnosed me with bladder cystitis (progression from a run-of-the-mill UTI from -regretfully- ignoring the symptoms). I was prescribed 500MG Keflex 4 times a day, 2000MG/2G daily. Never took Keflex before, but I know it's been around a while, and works wonderfully. This is actually my first day (second dose in). I already feel a difference. It's true - this drug does make you sleepy (for some odd reason). I have not felt nauseous yet. Must take this with food, as always with any antibiotic - plenty of water too. Smells like rotten eggs, so toss it back and swallow."

Kristen the Nurse (: (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cephalexin is the only anti biotic that clears UTI'S for me. The GP's always tell me to try others but inevitably just prolong my infection until I finally get cephalexin. No noticeable side effects for me and always do the job. I literally cry with relief when I get these as I know within 24hrs I can get on with my life!"

Amanda4343 November 7, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Keflex works on me for UTI/bladder infections, but it gives me frequent diarrhea and makes me exhausted! I also get really bad dry mouth while taking it, too."

a_detar September 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 9 weeks and was prescribed Keflex. It has worked, however I have also had major diarrhea everyday. Other than that, no other side effects for me.."

Shenata123 September 9, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on these antibiotics for 5 days now and so far so good in clearing the infection of cystitis. I am no longer in agony, however, i starting getting diarrhea straight away which has lasted so far the 5 days. Rumbling in my stomach and also then very bad wind and burping which smells very much like eggs. Not the best side effect for anyone around."

Smellyeggyfartypants June 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I treated my UTI successfully during the pregnancy .I did not have side effects"

lena007 June 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took cephalexin 500 for ten days following a 5 day stay at my local hospital (with IV antibiotics) for a bladder infection. It did nothing for my infection. But I did get a few nasty side effects. Diarrhea, nightmares, and muscle pain. This medication did not work for me."

AliciaV May 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I felt a UTI along with blood in my urine coming on right after I returned from vacation and contacted my doctor at 8am, he prescribed me Cephalexin 500mg 1 pill 3 times a day I started at 10am and by the end of the day the blood was gone and the pain substantially subsided. I'm still having the urination urges but I'm on the meds for 10 days total. I'm pretty confident it's gonna get the job done completely. I hate UTIs and don't get them frequently but if I get another I definitely would take Cephalexin again"

Dee Reyes (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The medication did not improve the symptoms significantly until day 3 of taking it."

YaelV February 26, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My symptoms : Strange pain at the tip of urethra (only at the end of my urination) and sudden increase in frequency of urination. Treatment: After three days of pain went to doctor she recommended cephalexin twice a day for 7 days (plus plenty of water !) Effects: Pain started to reduce within 2 days. Frequency is reducing slowly. This medicine definitely works!"

shivarni December 31, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Keflex (cephalexin): "Keflex treated my bladder infection successfully with no noticeable side effects, and was also very affordable."

frances123 (taken for less than 1 month) November 24, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Seemed to work a little at first with the cramps fullness but then the third day my frequency came back with a vengeance. Had to pee about 40x during the night didn't get any sleep. Worst bladder infection I've had ever and haven't had one in 10 years. I am 13 weeks pregnant so doctor just switched me to another safe pill today. Hopefully this one will wok!"

Boese7 November 15, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I get UTI's every other month, due to an autoimmune disease. Nothing works well for me except Cephalexin 500 mg by Lupin, two per day for 5 days. No side effects at all, but some reviews here list 4 times daily. I wouldn't ever take that much, because it isn't necessary for me."

TexasLiz7 September 17, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor gave me this after frequent super painful UTIs and it works so fast! This is a great medication."

Anonymous September 9, 2015

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Taking Keflex for a possible uti, 500mg 4x's a day for 7 days. Within 15 minutes of taking pill I get severe indigestion & heartburn. I already suffer from gerd & this makes it ten times worse. I have also had mild itching & blurry vision. I have 27weeks pregnant so there's not a lot of antibiotics out there that are safe to take so I guess I'm going to going to try & stick it out & finish it even though the heartburn is so bad I want to stop."

Anonymous August 21, 2015