User Reviews for Cephalexin to treat Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

Also known as: Keflex

Cephalexin has an average rating of 6.9 out of 10 from a total of 19 ratings for the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. 58% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Cephalexin Rating Summary

6.9/10 average rating

Compare all 598 medications used in the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

Reviews for Cephalexin

Ann · Taken for less than 1 month November 1, 2019

“I'm 68 years old & went to an urgent care because my Dr was on vacation. I knew I had bronchitis & an upper respiratory infection. I know after all these years if I have an infection or a cold or flu. I was also a pharmacy tech. A nurse practitioner said I just had flu symstems & wouldn't give me an antibiotic. Why oh why don't some young Drs in the medical field don't believe in antibiotics? What generation has died from antibiotics??? I had waited an hour to get in & she told me I had the flu? I was in so much pain from deep coughing & demanded to see another Dr. I said I'm not leaving without some kind of antibiotic & that I knew the difference between the flu from an infection. They finally gave me amoxicillin. It didn't work for me this time (It usually works for sinus & ear infections.) I went to my Dr & she gave me Keflex. This is a great for bronchitis. I'm so upset at these young Drs who don't believe in antibiotics... People will end up in the hospital or worse. It's a disgrace.!”

OneSickGirl December 13, 2016

“Hello guys! So I went to a local urgent care place on Saturday complaining about headache, chest congestion, cough, runny nose, and sneezing. I informed the doctor on duty that I've already taken my flu shot and I really don't think what I have is the flu. So after the typical check up, he diagnosed me with acute bronchitis/sinusitis and prescribed me Cephalexin 500mg 2xday for 10 days, today is my third day taking the meds and I feel better already. Not to mention, I think I might've had a vaginal bacterial infection or uti and that has cleared as well. Definitely killed 2 birds with 1 stone. Ohh...and the Dr. gave me a prescription for an extra 10 days...definitely will be saving them! Although it's not recommended, I'll use them again!!”

Texas42 · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 12, 2016

“As someone who has suffered with chronic bronchitis most of my adult life, have used CEPHALEXIN for these URTI for years, it has & is working for me when things looked really bad; usually in just a few days I am on the mend and with in a week or so the nasty cough is gone. The stuff saved me from being admitted into the Hospital yet once again.”

Reyna del Reyes January 19, 2015

“After suffering with a respiratory tract infection for well over a year(which doctors kept swearing was viral and nothing they could do except refill my athsma meds since the coughing fits caused athsma attacks) I was actually prescribed this for a urinary tract infection in early pregnancy and my respiratory tract infection is almost non existent after 3 days!”

GreenJewel1989 January 5, 2012

“After just the 2nd day my energy levels increased dramatically. I was being treated for bronchitis and was also prescribed an inhaler and cough syrup. All three helped my congestion and after about the 4th day I stopped waking up to hacking fits. I would suggest eating something light before taking it because it did make me nauseous.”

Tennis semi pro · Taken for less than 1 month August 13, 2020

“I have chronic allergies and sinus problems . I am usually put on Levaquin but , it hasn’t seemed to work anymore after the past few years . My ENT-s always like to tell me “ it’s just inflammation “ - when I am 60 years old and I know that sometimes it IS an infection. Anyway - 2 weeks ago I went to an urgent care and was seen by a kindly , older, very intelligent doctor . He mentioned Keflex , and I thought “ oh yeah , I took that 8 years ago when my first sinus infection happened and it really worked . The experienced doctor gave this , and it was AMAZING . I felt much better after the first day . I can’t believe how the so called experts don’t think this works . I had NO side effects , but I take probiotics every day no matter what . So happy that this doctor re discovered this medicine for me !”

howe September 15, 2009

“I had so many problems and my doctor didn't know what was wrong with me until I went to the Phillipines and doctor prescribed cephalexin. All the problems I had seems t have disappeared. I wish I got that medicine before. I feel great.”

Pregnant Nurse · Taken for less than 1 month March 29, 2015

“I am 34 weeks pregnant and I was prescribed Cephalexin to treat both my urinary tract infection/Bronchitis. I've taken the medicine for 5 days now and although my UTI has cleared up my lungs still sound horrible and I still have a nasty cough.”

jess November 23, 2020

Keflex (cephalexin): “I went to the ER, they said I had a UTI so they gave me keflex 500mg 4 times a day for a week. I despise ANY medication because of the side effects but I didn’t want a kidney infection as that’s way worse so I took it. I had nausea and some mild diarrhea about an hour in, normal right? So a few days in I felt like I was hit by a truck I woke up fatigued and my anxiety was so bad and I developed an achy back that lasted a week even after I was done taking it! I still have some mild diarrhea everyday and it’s been a week since I’ve finished the medicine, I have no clue how I pulled through and took all of it. It did indeed clear up my infection but I still feel sick. I know it’s a turn off reading this and it makes you not wanna take the medicine but you HAVE TOO unless you want a kidney infection which is way worse and you’ll be put on even more antibiotics if that happens. Just pull on through but if you genuinely don’t feel good when taking it, talk to your doctor.”

iver0713 · Taken for less than 1 month November 12, 2018

“My doctor prescribed this med for a sinus infection. After the 5th pill, my lower legs turned bright red and hot! I was miserable and knew right away this was from the pills. I tossed them and will never use Cephalexin again.”

Cassyroach91 · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2018

“I've been on this medicine for 7 days now. The first two days I would get hot flashes in the middle of the night. Sweating, drenched. That went away then I would get headaches and now my head feels all dizzy. I'm trying to stick it out since I only have 3 more days, but geeze. I also experienced palpitations and I'm on a medicine already that's suppose to control that.”

JRLesq April 28, 2015

Keflex (cephalexin): “The only antibiotic that promptly and consistently resolves my chronic bronchitis.”

Captain awesome · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

“Within hours of starting the antibiotic I had the infection coming out of me, be ready to drink a ton of water,,, it will help coughing out the crud as well with blowing your nose”

Anonymous September 3, 2009

Keflex (cephalexin): “Horrible, did not work at all on my husband's bronchitis and his bronchitis turned into pneumonia.”

Anonymous May 28, 2010

“Awesome – back from the dead after only the 2nd day. Great stuff”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 27, 2012

“This medicine work great. Had to take it twice a day for one week”

Woo hoo June 10, 2013

“Works great!”

Toothache2 · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 26, 2018

“My lungs are compromised due to damage from Pulmonary embolism's And I have an auto immune disease cephalexin is my antibiotic works everytime”

Anonymous February 28, 2009

“I took this drug and it cleared up my problem in just 3 days.”

Anon99 July 4, 2011

Keflex (cephalexin): “Unfortunately, did not help 4 year old with chest infection. ”

CC · Taken for less than 1 month December 22, 2020

“I was given cephalexin for bronchitis. 500mg 4x a day for 7 days. It gave me the worst case of oral thrush. Also since its so strong it gets the good gut bacteria. Definitely take a probiotic”

Learn more about Upper Respiratory Tract Infection