User Reviews for Cephalexin to treat Bacterial Infection

Also known as: Keflex

Cephalexin has an average rating of 6.2 out of 10 from a total of 114 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Infection. 46% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

Cephalexin Rating Summary

6.2/10 average rating

Compare all 1055 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Cephalexin

Payton · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2021

“Yes this drug has side effects and yes they suck BUT I will say it works amazingly. Just like all of you reading I did the same and got scared but overall I have a REALLY BAD infection on my foot and it’s been about 3 days on the meds and my foot has already stopped swelling, isn’t red anymore, and pain has gone down a lot. If you are prescribed this med do not be scared it works. And again yes side effects suck, I got bloating, gassy, and nauseous. But I’d rather deal with these side effects then loosing my foot! Please take it if you need to and I really hope this helps.”

michaeltarbosa · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2021

“Because of my weight, I was prescribed 500mg of this antibiotic But that was way too much! Headaches, intestinal issues, etc. Thankfully, I feel better now, but definitely be careful of dosage.”

Justin Boyce May 7, 2021

“I was going through severe anxiety, heart palpitations, tachycardia, body numbness, going in and out of another world. I had new allergys, twitching when I would almost fall asleep, 21 ER visits later I found the answer. The antibiotic I was on for tooth infection caused severe ulcers all threw out my GI track, it can cause all of that. I almost had a couple heart attacks before I realized this. Here is what my treatment is consisting of, beta blockers to control the heart palpitations ( you need them or it will get bad) Ativan to control the anxiety (this too will get worse) Steroids to fix your mental state, reduce intestinal swelling, and get your immune system back on track so your allergies stop (this too will get worse) and a PPI pill to stop the stomach acid so they can heal. Also I'm waiting for a scope treatment from a Gastro Doctor. I'm hoping I can make it until then but for anybody else experiencing what I did please get it addressed ASAP, I was told by every doctor it was anxiety and even banned from a ER”

Stef · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2021

“Just took the final dose. I am praying I will feel like myself again. I slept the first 4 days ( 15 hours at a time). Day 5 Mild to moderate to paralyzing anxiety and depression ( I am on anti anxiety medication , I take an antidepressant daily ) By day 7, intense headache that didn’t respond to Acetaminophen I am crying as I feel confused, and have insomnia. I hope the person that simply posted insults here gets the help they need . Prayers for a person who enjoys being rude for a hobby. NO ONE has the right to SHAME ALL who post here. ONLY a very sad soul BULLIES those (including me) that post voluntarily and in a clear, concise manner here. Taking time and effort to post side effects and symptoms of an antibiotic can be a valuable tool for those who may not realize why they are feeling bad. We live in an era that knows “ it’s in your head “ is fodder for an ignorant person.”

LadyMadonna March 10, 2013

“I've seen patient reviews where many terrible side effects of this drug were listed. After that, I was afraid to start taking Cephalexin! But my pharmacist said Keflex has been on the market for decades & most people have no problem with it. I'm happy to report that I am one of those people! The only side effect I am having is a lot of smelly gas & very smelly bowel movements.(a result of the bad bacteria dying off, perhaps?). But that's a small price to pay to get rid of the infection in my ankle, so I'm quite satisfied. Word to the wise: I think that most of the patient reviews we see online are from unsatisfied patients. Most people that have no problem with a medicine probably don't take the time to post, so keep that in mind.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 11, 2012

Keflex (cephalexin): “I was prescribed Keflex (Cephalexin) after having surgery to prevent infection, and wanted to add to the list of side effects. They do not mention acid reflux, which I had every time I took the capsule (4 times a day, for 10 days). Also women need to take a probiotic while on this medication as it decreases natural flora and you can get yeast infection. I learned this the hard way by not eating enough yogurt while on this medication and not taking any probiotics. Just wanted to give a heads up and hopefully spare many women this highly uncomfortable experience.”

T · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2019

“Prescribed cephalexin 500mg four times daily for seven days. On day three and infection is almost completely gone and feel 10 times better than have in a month. No side effects what soever. Only wish had went and started earlier.”

Lindsay Rae July 21, 2014

“I came down with a bad urinary tract infection 3 days ago and I was put on Bactrim twice a day. I have had several UTIs before and it has worked in the past. However, this time around 2 days after the medicine I wasn't seeing improvements so I went back to the doctor and switched to cephalexin. Last night was my first dose and I woke up this morning feeling completely normal again. I like to read these reviews so I figured I'd post this to let everyone else know. Cephalexin works well.”

LuvNature October 15, 2019

Keflex (cephalexin): “My Endodontist put me on Keflex (Cephalexin) 500 mg per day 4 X per day for a bacterial infection for a root canal that had to be retreated. I was skeptical as I often cannot finish antibiotics due to the awful side effects. I am very sensitive to medicine. This one has had no side effects for me. With that being said, I do take a probiotic (florajen) several hours before taking Keflex. The probiotic is taken 1 x per day while on antibiotics and is found in the pharmacy as it has to be refrigerated. No prescription is required for probiotic.”

Zillakami February 17, 2019

Keflex (cephalexin): “I was prescribed 500mg (Keflex) four times a day, for ten days. This was for a boil that I've had for eight years, I thought it was a pimple but when it got worse then ever I saw a doctor who confirmed it as a boil which then proceeded to try lancing and squeezing it I almost become unconscious this is how bad it has become. Anyways you are here for the drug review, the only side effect that I noticed was a slight tired feeling. I have anxiety so I didn't take the pills until around a week after being prescribed for a fear of side effects, there is nothing to be worried about trust that it will help you. Now my boil is completely gone and I can relax.”

Confused · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2019

“I get impetigo in/on my nose practically every year for the past few years which is odd because I am not a child nor do I come in contact with any. I’ve taken cephalexin four or five times for this infection and never had any evident symptoms, I thought it worked great actually. However, this past time I suddenly got terrible anxiety that ruined my life for about a week. Shaking, racing thoughts, the whole deal. The worst I’ve ever had- I couldn’t even watch TV alone at home without having to fight it off. Something inside of me told me to look up reviews for the medication and I actually teared up reading that other people experienced similar things and this wasn’t just my life now. I stopped taking the medication early and feel almost back to normal already. I hope this helps someone!”

hi5 · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2012

Keflex (cephalexin): “I had an abscess on my upper gum resulting from terrible dentist work. I had also been prescribed amoxicillin 500mg, however after a week of taking amoxicillin the pain/swelling did not go away it got noticeably worse. However after taking my first full dose of Keflex swelling reduced and gradually faded out by the time my dosage was complete. Would highly recommend Keflex.”

AndieReviewer July 5, 2017

Keflex (cephalexin): “I had a really bad cold and viral bronchitis and I ended up with nasal cellulitis of all things (infection in my nose and on my face). I took this medication and on day three, it was clearing up nicely and by day 5 the infection is gone. I had virtually no side-effects other than sleepiness, but I think that's normal when you're fighting an infection. I took 500 mg x 4 times a day and I had no stomach or intestinal issues at all. It was great.”

Myford · Taken for 10 years or more May 8, 2020

Keflex (cephalexin): “Suffered from osteomyelitis in femur from age 16 ( now aged 80 ) the osteomyelitis became chronic 10 years ago and now take 2 keflex 500 a day full time. Not conscious of any side effects and infection kept under control.”

Bookie1976 · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2019

Keflex (cephalexin): “I went to the emergency room for a tooth abscess and they prescribed me keflex 500mg four times a day for 10 days. I have had zero side effects. It worked fast and took the infection right away. I had a little sore throat the whole 7 days but I was sneezing before I took the keflex so it probably a virus or allergies. My throat looks fine. But highly recommend Keflex cause there are barely any side effects.”

SB · Taken for less than 1 month November 1, 2018

Keflex (cephalexin): “Took it for 7 days for a tooth infection, took the pain away on the 3rd day, no adverse reactions. Had a reaction to Bactrim so I was hesitant to take antibiotics, however I'm confident in Keflex now. Stop stressing and take it.”

Anon8765 April 18, 2016

“Cephalexin might be one of the best antibiotics I have ever taken. I was prescribed 500mg 3x a day for 7 days for an infected lymph node (? The doc didn't really explain, but the lymph node in my groin was swollen to the size of a grape and SO painful I could barely walk. He said it was abcessed) By the 5th dose, almost all of the pain had subsided, swelling was down and I had ZERO side effects. Usually I am very sensitive to antibiotics so I was sure to take the pills on a full stomach. I also get nervous taking any type of medication because of the potential stomach upsets, as I am absolutely terrified of throwing up. But, currently on day 4 - No complaints what so ever. Very happy with how it is working so far :)”

LouisADee February 8, 2008

“After very minor foot surgury, I was put on 500 mg Cephalexin 4 times per day for a week. After 4 days my digestive system went septic and I had to quit the medication. I seldom take even over-the-counter drugs and have never had a reaction this severe to an antibiotic before. I thought I would get back to normal after a week but after 3 more weeks my digestive system has not imporved. I have scheduled an appointment with another doctor in hopes of regaining my normal health.”

Some1one · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2012

Keflex (cephalexin): “Very effective antibiotic on two (2) separate events for oral abscess! Usually a straight Penicillin customer, I am & Doc prefers Amoxicillin (not efficacious for me). Compromise medicine: Keflex is the most foul-smelling thing I ever wanted to swallow because it works... so hold your breath!”

Tess DP October 14, 2015

“I was prescribed 500mg of Cephalexin for a staph infection on my face. I took 4 pills a day for 2 weeks. I was surprised to come on this site and find some bad reviews and side effects because my experience with this medication has been phenomenal! My bacterial infection cleared up within days! I had no side effects, and I am not having any problems with diarrhea (though if you do have this problem, you can take something with the pill). The medication definitely smells bad haha, but I learned that that is completely normal. It's doesn't really "taste" like anything because you just drink it with water and swallow it anyways. I definitely recommend Cephalexin.”

The Doctor September 8, 2020

“Basically, I got strep throat and the first several days on cephalexin were fine except for a bit of a stomach ache. Then, soon after, my body temperature dropped to 94.3 and I got extreme vertigo. Kept having worrying empty life feelings . Cephalexin works a little too well, not only gets rid of the bacteria but almost getting rid of the human in the process.”

RxGuineapig June 2, 2011

Keflex (cephalexin): “I was prescribed Keflex for an infection that occurred after root canal went bad. Evidently the previous dentist had not been able to successfully remove all of the nerve and pulp and over time an infection resulted. Keflex was well tolerated by me and helped to reduce the swelling within the gum until I was able to have a root canal retreatment in order to remove the rest of the nerve and pulp. The rating that I provided is due to the fact that this medication required 4 doses daily which I felt there must have been some other medication available that required less commitment. Still, it did work and I would take it again if prescribed.”

SicklySue May 24, 2012

Keflex (cephalexin): “I have used this medicine for years for many different conditions including bronchitis, boils, bladder infection, sinusitis among a few others. The problem though, has become since I have used it so many times, I am almost resistant to it and need a larger dose or longer dosing schedule to clear up a more severe case of the ailment. When it works, it works well.”

Tired_of_antibiotics · Taken for less than 1 month January 4, 2020

“I had a combination of an infection after an extraction as well as skin infection that hurt very bad (both things). I was prescribed 500 mg of cephalexin every 6 hours. By the second day they were both feeling so much better. I was hesitant because I've had allergic reactions of other Antibiotics and a severe reaction to bactrim. Thankfully nothing like that with this medication, but it does cause a very inconvenient stomach upset that causes me to have to get to the bathroom in a hurry throughout the day. I have noticed I'm more tired, I'm not sure if that's a side effect from the medication alone or because of having to use the bathroom so often. But, I push through the negatives because it has done wonders for the infections.”

Never again · Taken for less than 1 month October 21, 2020

“I’ve been on this drug multiple times before for UTI's and had manageable side effects, usually headache and fatigue. This time I was put on it for a suspected bacterial infection. I took it for 3.5 days and increasingly had severe headache, unbearable anxiety and tachycardia requiring beta blocker usage. I don’t even know if anxiety is the right word, I literally feel like I’m on a hallucinogen or something, and sleeping has been impossible because of this feeling and the racing heart, it feels like a constant adrenaline surge I have no control over. Very weak as well, last night I felt like I couldn’t move my legs and almost went to the er. I’ve been off of it for a couple days now and finally slept last night but still don’t feel right in my head. Will never take this again, I feel like I’m in hell.”

Nancy M. · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2018

“I'd been fighting a terrible UTI for the last week. Tried several natural methods of D-Mannose, 90 billion CFUs of probiotics, AZO "maximum strength" pills, and too many glasses to count of 100% cranberry juice from trader joe's. Nothing helped my UTI. I finally broke down and called my doctor and was prescribed 500mg of Keflex to be taken every 12 hours for 7 days. Approximately 6 hours after taking my first dose I started to feel great relief from that excruciatingly wicked pain. I'm now on my second day and the relief is continuing to improve with no bad side effects. I'm also continuing my probiotics to prevent yeast infections associated with antibiotics. I can only say for myself that I am incredibly happy I made that phone call to my doc. He is a doctor that believes in natural, holistic healing, but in this case antibiotics were absolutely necessary and I'm so thankful it's working very well.”

Sherri · Taken for less than 1 month June 24, 2020

“I’m currently on my 5 th day of cephelaxin 500 mg 4X a day . I have an abscess from shaving with a dull razor and not using shaving gel, that’s what I’m thinking anyway. Anyway, this antibiotic is really messing me up. I’m anxious, paranoid around people, super irritable, I feel scared in general. My stomach is distended and I’m constipated and retaining water. I want to stop but I’m scared to. I’m going to call my dr. Thanks every one for posting about your experience. Helping Me a lot”

mrs. pitchon September 20, 2008

“I am currently using this medication to fight a staph infection. I'm not sure how I got it but it seemed to start from a bug bite of some sort. The infection was the size of a golf ball and had lightening streaks running up my arm. The doctor had to cut open my arm and clean out the pus. Well it's been about a week and the infection has cleared up. Cephalexin seemed to work very well. I have no side effects and I'm feeling great.”