User Reviews for Levofloxacin

Also known as: Levaquin, Levaquin Leva-Pak

Learn more about Levofloxacin.

Levofloxacin Rating Summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 131 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Levofloxacin to treat Bronchitis

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "The first dose made me extremely dizzy. The second dose had me very dizzy, passing out, and not being able to breathe. After a trip to the emergency room, I've decided I'm not taking this ever again"

Thought I was dying (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This is the only antibiotic I have ever used in the treatment of a deep sinus infection and bronchitis that was effective. I have had to use it twice in my life and on both occasions, it slowly pulled me out of a very scary situation. Unlike other antibiotics, it does not upset my stomach."

Al in NWA January 30, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have a terrible taste and smell making me sicker and feeling nauseous. Also muscle cramps. Making tinnitus worse."

Sandman 1955 (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I am only able to take levaquin or cipro due to allergies to other antibiotic's. I normally only had 500 mg. This time doctor gave me 750 mg for ten days and was added prednisone 20mg take three tab daily for four day. I was feeling bad on the higher dose of levaquin but needs to get better being asthmatic, I stopped after 7th day of antibiotic and stopped prednisone as well, pains burning inflammation was horrible confusion, rapid heart beat, shaky legs. Can't move left arm well from shoulder to fingers, weakness pain. Pain discomfort in joints muscles bones. My kidneys and abdominal discomfort on and off with that. My physician said could be higher dosage plus on October was on 500mg. Says it tendonitis."

trisha m December 15, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Never take this drug.on the 9th day of my 10 day prescription I experienced stabbing pain in my legs. I have never had any reaction to a medicine before and these were totally unfamiliar pains. It is over a month and I can barely walk. This should not be on the market."

Marilynsyracuse September 18, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"With Prednisolone 75mg 3 tablets for five days and Levofloxacin 500 mg one capsule for 15 days my bronchitis severity is much less but sudden spasms of cough continue Not returned to feeling normal"

Geve (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I am very shocked at all the remarks about the horrible side effects of this medicine. I am again taking it, as it is the only antibiotic that really does kick the infection. I did notice years ago when I was prescribed 750mg, it made me light headed, dizzy....so since then I ask for 500mg, and it is just the perfect dose for my body. I rate Lefofloxacin at a 10. I have never experienced any of the side effects people have mentioned, like tendinitis, metal taste, nausea, etc., and anyone I know who has taken it hasn't complained of any negative aspects of the med either. I recommend it at 500mg, but would maybe steer clear of the 750mg. That one is just so strong."

Amymby August 21, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I started the medication yesterday due to serve bronchitis that developed from an upper respiratory infection. After the first dose (just 30 minutes) I had to call an ambulance and take my epinephrine. My throat closed, I was unable to breathe and I was having sever pain on the left side of my chest. This medication is awful. I now have to go back to the doctors office and get something else that WON'T potentially kill me."

Anonymous August 10, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had a terrible experience with this medicine... very toxic... gave me shortness and tightness in the chest.. i could not breath.. my husband took it the same time as i did.. his heart started racing he would break out in sweats all day and night... lots of joint pains.. this medicine is horrible do not take it.. i never had any problems.. before this ..... with my breathing chest pains any tightness or shortness of breath not ever.."

CarolCon June 13, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Symptoms I had: coughing fits producing green mucus, rapid heartbeat, temperature, muscle tightness/pain, wheezing, headache, shallow breathing, tight chest. I was prescribed 10 days of 500mg/day. The symptoms began to fade after 5-6 days. Side effects occurred after 6 days: extreme insomnia laying in bed for 7 hours straight with no sleep and only sleeping for 2-4 hours. (dizziness and confusion, but this may be from lack of sleep)"

Cal 2510 June 1, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Sick for three weeks with sinus / ear infection that spread to the lungs. I was first given a "z pack" which did not work. Got really sick and ended up getting fluids, Levaquin, and prednisone. By the third day I was feeling much better. I'm on the medication a week now, no problems other than a little jittery, but I believe the prednisone is contributing to this side effect."

Mike88888 May 28, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I woke up in the middle of the night after taking 3 doses (that's only 3 pills) in excruciating painit felt like someone had a huge sledgehammer and was slamming it against my left knee over and over again. The pain was so bad I even vomited. This pain lasted for weeks and I know have chronic tendonitis in that knee and am in constant pain. Some days are better, but it's a constant pain and it's always swollen. It's been like this since 2009, it is now 2016. This class of drugs is toxic and should never be used as a 1st line of attack for infections; it shouldn't be used at all. Don't ever take this drug or the others like it, they are called the "Fluroquinolones" which also includes Cipro, Avelox to name a few."

Topias (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I was prescribed 500mg for 10 days for acute bronchitis, sinus infection as well as a very painful ear infection. After the first dose, I did feel a bit better. The second dose marked a big difference in how I was feeling overall. I was also prescribed a very expensive inhaler of Albuterol. (Rarely use) The third day was when I noticed that the side effects were now more of a problem than my illness. Metallic taste in my mouth, severe dry mouth, leg cramps, NO sleep, rise in BP and HR. dizziness, and ringing in my ears, agitation. I am on day 5 and do not want to finish the prescription but was warned, "take it completely..even after you begin to feel better." The only positive off chart effect is my skin is glowing!"

Anouk Tansy April 15, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I am 86 years old. I only took 2 doses of 750 mg over 2 days & was having calf pain, nervousness & trouble sleeping."

Patrick girl February 14, 2016

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I feel like I am going to itch my legs and feet off. I have a red bumpy rash. I had better go back to Doctor in the morning. I hate this - my legs and feet are so swelled up. Do not take this drug I ended up worse than I was. Thanks FDA"

itcy an scratchy February 13, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "The pain in my legs from the hips to the knee was excruciating. I thought I had bone cancer. This lasted for 2.5 weeks even after I stopped taking the med. Walking was almost impossible even with pain meds."

1Cate January 28, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Recently completed concurrent chemo & radiation for Stage 3 Lung Cancer. Then a week before I was scheduled for my follow-up CT/PET scans, I came down with a bad cough and high fever. I was diagnosed with bronchitis (thankfully not pneumonia!!) and prescribed 750mg of Levofloxacin daily. When I filled the prescription, my pharmacist advised me that it's a strong antibiotic and told me of the real possibility of tendonitis. She also told me to take a Probiotic a couple of hours before or after the Levofloxacin. This seems to be missing from all the bad reviews of this drug. Make sure to ask about taking a PROBIOTIC along with the Levofloxacin!! Yesterday was my 7th and final day of the drug and I feel 99% better. Never had ANY side effects!!"

BronchitisInBaltimore (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Wow, I wish I had studied on up Levofloxacin before I took my first dose for pneumonia. Two things, FIRST and least important, but I have never had a drug give me such an unpleasant rush before. No kidding, I thought I was having a stroke or cardiac; almost called 911. Recovered then read up on it. The problem: another drug I was taking that my regular pharmacist did not fill and did not know about. Like driving & whiskey. Both great, but not together. Stupid me! SECOND, it is flat knocking out a month-long infection that ruined Christmas, New Years, and almost a trip to some state out in the the Pacific Ocean."

Doug-Buddy (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Been sick for a month. Doc gave me two antibiotics. Finally was prescribed levofloxacin and am grateful as I am finally on the mend!"

Nelly Noo January 13, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I took Levaquin and think it should be banned. I went to bed and had horrible racing thoughts...a terrible terrible experience. My Dr. insisted I come to office when I called in the morning. I would have liked to rate it as 0 but I had to select and the only option was 1. I will never take this family of drugs."

Anonymous January 9, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "After one 500mg dose of this drug, I began having a racing heart and my muscles twitching from head to toe, severe dizziness and nausea. This progressed to my ankle and knee joints cracking/popping upon walking, shoulder hurting, toe and finger pain and now, the next day, nerve pain in my occipital region on the back of my head. I began reading and started high doses of magnesium/transdermal mag spray, TONS of water, high doses Vit C, juicing and homemade bone broth with rest for my joints. This medicine apparently severely depletes the body of magnesium, damages michocondria and prevents new tendon cells from being formed. I hope what I'm doing counteracts any long term damage and I'm highly upset it was prescribed with black box warnings!"

MommaLyonn (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2015

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Levaquin (levofloxacin): "I took this antibiotic for a bronchial infection. I did get rid of the infection. But while on it, I had horrible nightmares (the gory kind you can't talk about); was jittery, moody and the tendonitis in my shoulder came back. I also have MS with mild symptoms. Problem is, now that I'm off of it I feel "fluish", my neck hurts, shoulder hurts, I've had horrible spasms in my legs and feet and not the kind that you get with MS. I was prescribed this because I can not take any of the "clillans" or erythamicin(sp) of a Z Pac. I have no idea when this is going to end. I would not recommend this to anyone. And don't get me started with the back pain."

Cacky (taken for less than 1 month) November 30, 2015

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"BAD nausea - really afraid I was going to throw up and not keep my heart meds down! Excruciating foot cramps, leg cramps, no appetite, fatigue and couldn't wait to get done with these pills. I was up pretty much all night with insomnia and the foot cramps that wouldn't go away - night after night. My husband told me to bear through it and stay on the meds for the 7 days as this was my second bout with bronchitis in a month. Even drinking a lot of water didn't help with it. Took yogurt and STILL had nausea. These pills are AWFUL!!!! I will NEVER, EVER take this poison again! Expensive $80 for 7 days. Too many bad side effects. "

GFin November 10, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had a sinus infection and bronchitis. Dr. rx zithromiacin which got rid of my sinus infection, but not my bronchitis. Went back to the Dr. and he rx Levofloxacin 500 mg. After a couple of days my lungs were clear. No side effects Thank you Levofloxacin!!"

Louie from Woodland Ca September 21, 2015

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been off this med for over 6 weeks and still having side effects, diarrhea, headache,dizzy spells, muscle aches and sleeplessness. Will NEVER take this medicine again !!!"

Papa6 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015