User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Anthrax 1 reviews 27 medications

Gastroenteritis 1 reviews 21 medications

Gonococcal Infection, Uncomplicated 1 reviews 61 medications

Summary of Doxycycline reviews 891 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Doxycycline

For Acne: "I have always had clear skin until I turned 30 and just one day I started having severe acne all over my face. Called up my derm and she recommended Doxcycline. I am on my week 2 of this drug. Not seeing any major changes yet. Derm said that I need to take it 2x a day with food and apply topical cream (Retin A) at night. I really really hope it clears up after 2 months of course."

anisha14 September 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I have had Doxycycline 100mg for 7 days in two occasions, first for a gynecological infection and recently for sinusitis. In both cases, the drug had a very slow unset of action. The symptoms mostly disappeared on day 5 but the short treatment couldn't clear the infection. In the first occasion, I couldn't get it continued and got a bad recurring infection. This time I try a prolonged treatment. I believe the reason is that doxycycline is a bacteriostatic agent and merely prevents bacteria from reproducing. The immune system itself should kill the bacteria. So, if your immune system is somehow weak it can't do the work in time. Anyway, doxycycline had a positive effect, even if it was prescribed empirically."

Cyxod (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Okay so I've had pneumonia (Viral) and now I'm left with post viral bacterial bronchitis infection. I've been given Doxycycline (Sandoz) tablets and have only taken six tablets. Now my doctor also notice that I also have quiet severe acne and scaring. He explained about the medicine and said if my skin starts clearing up let him know and I can get more. My experience so far is amazing only reason why it's one off from 10/10 is because I did break out in the first 3 days and it brought up an ugly big pimple that has left me bruised. 3 days later almost gone. My face is not sore as it was before. On top of it I do have a daily routine (sometimes). I take Bio Zinic tablets, deep cleanser (Niva) and Real-U (cream) on affected areas. I clean my face 4 days a week."

HappyUser September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I just started my second week and my face feels slightly better .. First week was horrible I broke out I guess it takes all the dirt out at first and then clears your face.. ( hopefully ). I was about to give up the first week I really went through a hard depression phase but my mother a pharmacist overwhelmed me with motivation. Guys I promise you just have to be patient. My second week is so much better and I am also using differin gel which helps too. I apply it at night and papulax lotion . Drink lots of water and be patient. Good luck"

KCCCCCC (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "Day 4 on this medication. Note I did not have any symptoms before being diagnosed but now it burns when I urinate and even after. Other than that I've had no symptoms. And on a positive note, it has cleared 80% of my acne which is awesome! Let's hope it gets rid of my infection."

MKbabe (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "It is obviously proven to treat Chlamydia there isn't any question about that. It's the side effects that are the problem. For me it caused me severe depression that I never ever usually have. It has caused me to feel very emotionless and has completely deprived me of any ability for a genuine healthy sleeping pattern. It has caused me to throw up once (which started as violent shaking and a horrible nauseous feeling which ended in throwing up and going to sleep still shaking but no longer nauseous) and caused me nausea one more time (I didn't puke). Overall if there was any time in my life where my depression sunk to the absolute lowest then it'd be now. Just be aware"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I was on doxyclyine for about 5 months. Before I started it I had mild acne and just little breakouts on my forehead every once in a while. The first month I was on it, I saw little to no change, but once I got to month 2 my face was almost completely clear. I was also using a topical cream alongside the pill. By month 5, my skin was still clear, but one night when I took the pill I didn't take it with enough water and it didn't go all the way down my throat without me realizing it. I woke up the next morning with crazy chest pain and went to the doctor to find out I got an ulcer in my esophagus from the pill! The pain in my chest lasted about three weeks and it was terrible. Moral of the story, drink lots of water when taking this drug and eat afterwards so the food pushes it all the way down and definitely don't lay down after taking it!!"

Klh0728 September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had kidney stones and a severe kidney, and UTI infection, I was prescribed this medication in the hospital. The infections cleared up however I had a horrific reaction of severe burning of my hands and feet! Do not go in the sun at all while on this medication. My hands and feet are blistering and peeling badly. I don't recommend this medication. Ask your doctor for another antibiotic."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've had acne for about 3-4 years. Was prescribed doxy and can not get through a week of taking it! It's been 5 days and I haven't had a pimple at all where I was getting at least two a day BUT on the fifth day I have small bumps on my forehead and my forehead is always clear but that's not the issue. I had severe headaches every night, my head felt so tight! I also got a small rash on my arm (about the size of a coin) on the forth day. The next day I had about 2 more small rashes on my body. My chest and boobs are covered in little spots and some have a white head, same with my back and I never had issues with my back or chest before! Down stairs area is so dry and sore. Honestly can't stand the side effects. Not worth the pain!"

20 year old female (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Was really disappointed. I had previously been on everything under the sun from epiduo, to clindatech and all. Very disheartening to everyday see new acne whilst a friend also on it was gaining no new acne. I would advocate for people with moderate to severe acne (as anything less, doxy may work) asking for something else as it truly is a waste of time"

Chyme Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "I just tested positive for my lymes western blot end of August. Started doxcycline 100 mg two daily for 21 days. It is a terrible medication! My belly hurt whether I ate or on an empty stomach and I would get the diarrhea. I talked to my niece who is a pharmacist about it. She told me to start taking a probiotic 3 everyday. Once I started taking the florajen 3 all my terrible symptoms from the doxcycline disappeared! It's wonderful now! Don't mind take the medication at all now. I sure hope it helps. I still don't feel like myself. Some days are good and some days are bad. Good luck everyone. Hope this helps you all."

Lotsapaws (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I had the worst breakout I had even faced. I had large cystic acne plus there are small bumps that can't be squeeze out. I tried almost all home remedies there are on the internet but nothing works so I decided it's time to see a doctor. She prescribed me doxycycline 100mg twice a day along with 2 vitamins and to come back in a week. Didn't say anything about it before or after meal. She said it's okay to drink it right after a meal so that's what I did. At first, I had upset stomach even though I'm taking it after a meal. After a week, I still had flare ups and they're really swollen. She prescribed me the same dosage for another week, and noticeably, the flare ups were reduced, not entirely gone. I'm on my 3rd wk now and still hopeful."

Peng_2017 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I had mild cystic acne and have been on this medication for almost 2 months and am pleased with the results. I do believe, like with most acne medications that it brings the acne to the surface and makes it worse before it becomes better. The doctor suggested taking the medication on an empty stomach. When I would do so in the morning, it would make me extremely nauseous. So I started taking it at night right before I go to bed and it has been much much better. For those that have said it made them nauseous or vomit, I'd recommend taking it early evening with food and a really large glass of water (it really burns if it gets stuck in your throat). Even when I've had difficulty sleeping (unrelated to the medication) I never felt nauseous. My doctor said to use it for 2 months and then go back and see him."

Just.a.username September 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "8/28/17 went to ER with Severe & unusual headache (with previous/ current health issues ), and wanted to rule out stroke (as I was diagnosed in 2013 with 'TIA' a mini stroke). After tests a stroke was ruled out but told I had Bronchitis. Hmm, never got a answer on how they came up with that conclusion & was given a RX for Doxycycl HYC 100MG ( 2X's a day for 10 day's ) after 1st days dose Wow! The nausea, Even More Severe headache & body pain, etc... & the headache was even more Severely Pounding than when I 1st went into ER ! 2days into taking this STUFF, this Drug! I searched the web for info & found there's Way too many severe & serious Side Effects for me that outweigh any possible benefits ! So I'm done ! I'm through with this drug too!"

Joy's Victories (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "I am a landscaper and had a deer tick latch on my upper thigh, just under my ass. One day later I noticed an irritable itching on that spot and didn't give it much thought thinking it was just a bad ant bite. For days later while laying in bed I decided to take a look too see what the hell was biting me down there and came to see I had deer tick latched on. I took the tick out killed it and saved it on some tape. Five days later after getting bitten my doctor didn't want to wait for a blood test and prescribed 100 mg of Doxycycline. To be honest with you I felt like my insides were slowly being eaten out with this drug. Highly recommend taking it with milk or 1 hour after eating food. I still currently feel EXTREMELY lethargic! It really sucks"

Anonymous September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Gonococcal Infection, Uncomplicated: "Found out I had Gonorrhea, was afraid of the nausea from Azithromycin, so I took 7 days of twice a day doxycycline, worked like a charm. I never got bloated or nausea or diarrhea, BUT I took lots of supplementary probiotics and I limited dairy and caffeine, a lot. Symptoms were gone by day 2, but that was because of the Rocephin Shot. Enjoy!"

VeryDrippyPeePee (taken for less than 1 month) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've been on doxy for about 3 months now and for the first 2 months it worked wonders for me it cleared my acne right up and no flare ups.By the 3rd month my acne was worse than ever not sure if I should continue use of medication but I would recommend this medication to anyone just make sure to ask your derm how long to stay on it"

Drock92 August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "Never saw the tick, but saw a quarter-sized rash with a distinct edge on my leg, so went to my doc immediately. Was put on a 2-wk course (100mg twice daily), Dr told me I could take it with food. Then had 2 wks off it (on vacation, and lab took forever to turn around my blood work). Tested positive for Lyme; Dr put me on 2nd 2-wk course. Since it's absorbed better on an empty stomach, started taking it that way. No ill effects, no nausea. However, blood tests still positive. Did a 3rd round; still have Lyme disease. Am now on my 4th 2-week round and am seeing a specialist in a few days. Worried that it's not working, but hopefully I just need a longer course. No side effects other than exhaustion."

Virginia cat (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "WOW! I have tried biologics, methotrexate, TNF blockers, and Prednisone to treat severe RA and basically concluded nothing treats this evil monster. Then, I tried doxycycline, and WOW. The agonizing constant pain and fatigue subsided within the first week. 200 mg a day for the next 90 days until my rheumatologist appt. I could hardly wait to share the great news!! I felt normal for the first time in 4 1/2 years!! Then, 35 days in things took a sudden turn. I started getting skin tears which is a common occurrence in the elderly. I am 50. My skin tone changed and appeared see through, opaque. When I ran my finger down my arm it instantly left a bruise. Suddenly I had pus bumps all up my arms and the back of my legs. Goodbye Doxy."

LDLD August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I was very self conscious about my acne for quite a while. When people started telling me I had a lot of pimples (adults and kids) I thought "Ok I switched to a whole bunch of natural regimens already and nothing's working. It's time to go to the dermatologist." So my parents took me there and they prescribed me with Doxycycline Hyclate. They gave me the tablet version though, not the capsule one. So I didn't have to worry about choking on it or having an upset stomach. After a week, there was a slight difference in my skin. I still had breakouts but they weren't that big. After a month now, people have told me that my face is clearing up, meaning it's noticeable so the med is really working its magic. But now there's a lot of scaring"

Sleana (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Been on this anatibiotic for a little over a week and has made my face look worse than it has ever before. Really getting tired of acne and nothing works."

Anonymous August 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I started taking this drug when my acne got worse. Before that, I had only tried topical acne treatments (b.p, erythromycin) which worked well at first but later became ineffective. I had several cysts and pustules by the time I started this drug, it healed my cysts fairly fast but broke me out in pustules. After the two month mark (I took it for 3), my acne had decreased noticeably. I was really happy for about a month after I was done , until my acne came back much much worse. I'm not saying this drug is definitely the reason, but logically speaking, my acne was never this bad. It was very cystic, inflamed and painful. I was crying every day and not going out. Then my dermatologist started me on isotretin, which I'm still currently takin"

galden (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "Was bit by a tick on my left shoulder June 24, five days later went to my doctor and he blood test did me and did a tick panel test. Both tests came back negative, I have since learned 5 days would be too soon for the antibodies and the bacteria to grow and show. Neck feels swollen on the inside and very stiff, went to an ENT to make sure nothing was wrong internally, he said everything is normal. Been really depressed which is not my character, anxiety, super fatigue, feel lost. I'm a landscaper so get ticks often. Went to the doctor Friday 8/1 I believe 2017...had the Western blot test performed awaiting results, going to pcp and demanding 200 mg. Doxycycline. Also following up with Lyme literate doc on 8/31. Will let you know how things go."

Mrs. little August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "My doctor prescribed me this medicine to help fight my acne. I have moderate to severe acne. I used this medicine for about two months combined with a light soap and topical benzoyl cream. I take the medicine at the same time once every day. I wash my face with the soap twice daily and use the cream at night. I can say that it worked well with me since I saw major differences. I started my acne regime on November and my face was cleared on February the next year ( a few months). I thought It was going well but I stopped my medication and my regime since my face was cleared but the acne went back although it wasn't as severe as it was before."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have suffered from Acne since I was around 9 years old (I am now nearly 23). I have started my 3rd month on Doxcycline 100mg once every morning. At the beginning of every month my face broke out with lots of whiteheads, this month has been the worse, slowly healing now but has left me with scaring. Hoping this will get better in the 3rd month as thats where people see most results. Whoever is on 50mg once a day for acne, you need to go back to your doctor/dermatoligst and up the dose, apparently 50mg won't do nothing for acne its a too lower dose. This is what my doctor told me. I have had no side effects as if yet."

HKM3 August 4, 2017