User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Vibramycin, Oracea, Doxy 100, Monodox, Doryx, Targadox, Vibra-Tabs, Adoxa, Acticlate, Morgidox, Doxy-Caps, Uracil, Adoxa TT, Mondoxyne NL, Doxy 200, Doxy-D, Oraxyl, Alodox, Adoxa Pak, Avidoxy, Adoxa CK, Ocudox, LymePak, NicAzel Doxy, Doryx MPC …show all brand names

Anthrax

1 review 61 medications
Pleural EffusionNot rated - Be the first1 review 14 medications
Summary of Doxycycline reviews 6.9 1,149 reviews

Reviews for Doxycycline

For Acne: "I LOVE doxycycline! My dermatologist first put me on this when I came to her complaining of my acne. It was horrible during my early teen years so she put me on this. For acne, doxycycline is usually done as only a brief treatment (3-6 months) so it isn't exactly a long-term solution to acne, but it most likely will clear it up for you. I've been on doxycycline multiple times (sometimes my derm suggests I start it up again if my skin flares up after a 2 year break) and it's a tried-and-true drug that always works for me. It makes my skin clear, perfect, smooth, and glowing! No complaints! It has no hormones so it most likely will work for anyone. Just a note though: it takes a while to kick in. it might seem frustrating if it doesn't work after the first few weeks, but just wait it out--mine has taken a month or two to really start working before. But once it does, the results are fantastic."

Kat May 15, 2019

For Acne: "Overall, this has been a miracle worker. The negative reviews I’ve been reading seem to be isolated incidents of simple unlucky chance. Most people I know who have under gone the effects of doxycycline have come out with better looking skin then when they first started so it does work for most. Stick with it."

Sebastian (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2019

For Acne: "Been on doxycycline for 2 weeks now, my acne has worsened since I’ve been on it but I understand that people say it can get worse before it gets better. I have felt nauseous once because I took it 3 hours after eating food and not a lot of water. Therefore I recommend taking it straight after food and making sure you drink plenty of water (if it gets stuck in your throat it can cause real burns that need hospital attention). My skin does feel a little tight and dry but I just make sure I use plenty of moisturiser. My favourite is “simple hydrating gel cream” as it is gentle on the skin. I used to be on Roaccutane last year, although it did have very bad side effect it really made my skin super clear. But unfortunately my acne has started to appear again but never as bad as it used to be, I was told I could go on a second dose of roaccutane but I didn’t want to physically go through the bad side effects it gave me all over again. So instead I’ve decided to give Doxycycline a go... hoping I get some good results in time for my summer holidays"

Chilli May 12, 2019

For Acne: "I've been on doxycycline 100mg a day plus using differin xp 0.3% once a day for 3 months now, this combination has worked for me. I'm a 26 years old (male) and have dealt with cystic acne since I was 16 years old. The first month was pretty stressful. Not so much because of new breakouts but the texture of my skin and how my skin looked. It looked terrible dry and shiny. My acne scars seemed to be worse and more obvious hyperpigmentation was BAD , there was a point when I wanted to stop this treatment but decided to continue. The differin gel did make my skin extremely dry and flaky the first month. I changed the way I moisturize my face. Starting using Aloe vera Gel as a moisturizer and it helped a lot. Now I rarely get flaky skin. I suggest if your taking doxycycline to make sure you take it with FOOD and plenty of water to avoid feeling sick! If your using differin gel, keep your skin routine very SIMPLE and don't use any harsh face wash, make fragrance free, soap free and non-comedogenic."

Cadillac92 May 6, 2019

For Acne: "I started this medication for some acne along with Retin A , after 3 1/2 - 4 weeks I noticed I started breaking out in a little bumps on my chest arms back and little whiteheads across my face, my doctor warned me that it gets worse before better. That it works like a detox. I take the medication at night only, about 30 minutes before I go to bed I’ve never had any issues. I do have a soft bowel movements but no diarrhea or pain. I have lost a few pounds because of this, I do not see an issue with that. It has worked wonders for me and I get compliments all the time"

Mommyflapjack (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2019

For Acne: "This is the worse medication ever. The side effects are so painful. It gave me the worst chest pains ever. I had to stop taking it after 3 days because my chest pains hurt so bad. Now I can't eat or even drink water because of how painful my chest pains are."

Saraking April 27, 2019

For Chlamydia Infection: "Had classic symptoms of Chlamydia..Severe burning with urination, frequency and urgency of urination, itch and pain at tip of penis and fatigue. Started 10 day course of Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg two times a day. By 48 hours, symptoms went down to 50%. in next 5 days, symptoms are only 10% of what they were at peak. But, I have very low appetite and constipation with solid dark pieces of stool. And some itching at bottom. Seems like a great medicine for Chlamydia infection."

ClamVictim (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2019

For Acne: "I started this for severe cystic acne on my back. My dermatologist was very wary to put me on this because I have drug induced lupus from minocycline. I’ve been on this for about a week (not enough time to tell, I know) and it doesn’t seem like my back has gotten better or worse. My face has definitely gotten worse though. I came into this with an occasional pimple on my face and now I have 3 painful cysts. I have also experienced lack of appetite and definitely nausea. I haven’t thrown up but within the past week I’ve already came close twice. I really hope I start to see improvements especially before summer starts:("

ash (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "Was prescribed doxycycline for a bad ear infection (I’m allergic to penicilllin), 5 days later I only felt worse. Experienced terrible nausea and dizziness, ended up in bed for the entire 5 days and saw no improvement. Had to go back for new prescription."

still sick (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2019

For Acne: "I've been on doxycycline for 5 weeks for my pimples. I can honestly say I don't get as many pimples but my skin still doesn't look good. I'm about to just call it a day and go on accutane."

Chad (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2019

For Chlamydia Infection: "I had an unprotected sex last December 2018 and got this chlamydia. Took doxycycline (10 days) and the symptoms were gone maybe by day 5. I really thought the infection was gone but this month (Apr 2019) my symptoms came back. Idk what to do this time. If you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it."

J. April 15, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "Ok so took doxycycline for inner ear infection and a few days into it I develop wheeze, sore throat, dry mouth and feel like I have flu. My ear is still not right. Sorry but I would never take again despite having no common side effects I just feel like it has raised a war on my immune system"

Jimjams (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I have suffered from BV for years and one day my doctor decided to check me for a bacteria. I tested positive for Mycoplasma Hominis and Ureaplasma. Never heard of these but evidently they are an STI but not a true STD. Everyone has these bacteria in the body but only when they cause problems do they treat them. I started taking 100mg twice days for 10 days. Medication has not worked so my doctor is calling me in another round. If this does not work I guess that means the bacteria is resistant and will have to use another medication."

Sunny (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2019

For Acne: "I had moderate to severe acne. It started when I got off birth control (hormonal imbalance) First month on doxycycline my acne got a little worse, as the doctor had warned me but now it has been over two months and my acne has cleared up drastically. I still get pimples here and there, but it was a dramatic improvement from before. I take 100mg of Doxycycline twice a day along with Tretinoin cream at night. It has lightened my scars a bit as well. Highly recommend!"

Lani (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2019

For Acne: "Horribleeeee!!! Destroyed my digestive tract. So depressed."

Anonymous March 29, 2019

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Doxycycline was the only thing that worked for my perioral dermatitis (which I got from using triamcinolone on my face - huge mistake!). I tried metrolotion at first as it's a more conservative treatment, but it did nothing for me. Doxy cleared it up in about 11 days, but I continued to take it for a month to make sure it didn't come back. It hasn't come back and it's been about a year."

MLA (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been on Doxycycline for 4 days, in conjunction with an expectorant, for a sinus infection. Script is for 10 days. I have followed "how to use this medication" received from the pharmacy, including drinking non caffeine drinks and have had no negative interaction with this medication. As a matter of fact my symptoms broke today but as with any medication even though I am feeling better I will complete the 10 day round of this antibiotic. I am allergic to penicillin and diagnosed with epilepsy and find this antibiotic one of the best I have taken and have not had any med interactions. In addition to medication rest and plenty of fluid assist in recovery."

Dukie (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I am taking doxycycline for serious dry eye. I am on 50 mg. a day for 6 weeks. Seems to be helping. None of the drops would do the trick for me. Hope this will take away some of the terrible symptoms that I have...... ( Some optometrist think dry eye is caused by Demodex mites causing demodex blepharitis, so do some research of that)"

Ann (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2019

For Acne: "I was on doxycycline for acne for 1-2 years. My dermatologist finally took me off it because it isn’t good to be on something like this long term, but it worked wonders on my facial acne. Birth controls didn’t work for my acne and neither did topical products. No side effects besides dry mouth. Also, don’t get discouraged if you don’t see results immediately. In the long run , you will find it’s good!"

saaa (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2019

For Acne: "I was recommended Doxycycline for my acne and took it. It had worked wonders for my friend and I was hopeful that it would work for me too. I had mild acne but as I'm in my early 30s I thought now was the best time to deal with it. My doctor said it was perfectly fine to take it and so I began the treatment. Never had my skin been so dry, to the point of flaking, or raw to the touch. I noticed acne coming in places I had never had it before (cheeks, chin, jawline and neck). After a month I decided to stop taking it with my doctor's recommendation and my skin flared up in the worst possible way. I had red bumps all along my forehead, my cheeks, my neck, my chest ... it was and still is awful. I wish I had never taken it."

Ster (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I’m on day 7 last day on doxycycline and I feel worse now than I did when I started a week ago. THUMBS DOWN."

Dee (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2019

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I am on day 7 of doxycycline for an upper respiratory tract infection. I have been feeling shortness of breath, head feels weird little appetite and tingling in my back. Can't get in to see my doctor this week because they are booked. Not sure if I should stop taking the doxycycline. I don't like the side effects of it."

Becky2882 (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "Went to a new doctor for a sinus infection as I just moved into a new area. I've always used amoxicillin as I prefer no side effects or drowsiness. This doctor refused that completely and said I need a nasal spray and he would only give me and antibiotic if I got the nasal spray too, okay whatever I'll take both. I go to the drugstore, where the nasal spray cost me $50... And I find out he didn't give me a prescription for amoxicillin. He prescribed me this doxycycline. Well, I am on day 3 and let me tell you. Not only has my sinus infection NOT gone away, it has gotten so bad that I can barely hear and the infection is so bad that all my teeth hurt on the top of my mouth! I have the worst headache. I haven't been able to sleep for 2 nights, I'm high, I can't breathe, I'm sick, I'm in pain everywhere, chills, and I now have a throat and chest infection. I'd cry but I'm so out of it I can't. I feel helpless and afraid. This is the most awful medication I have ever taken."

Everything hurts March 7, 2019

Oracea (doxycycline) for Rosacea: "I was on regular doxy for several months for my rosacea (bumps and redness). Oral antibiotics are the only thing that have helped my skin look more normal. My dermatologist has switched me over the generic Oracea (a couple times actually). It seems to help my skin (not perfect, but pretty good), however, I get totally bloated on this medicine, and I've definitely been gaining weight, primarily fat. This wasn't really the case with regular doxy, but the Oracea always seems to have this effect. I will have to exercise more and adjust my diet if I'm going to stay on this stuff...So, I'm giving it a 8/10 since it helps my skin, but I'm not happy with the weight/fat gain and bloating."

Cait (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

For Ocular Rosacea: "My eye doc put me in 20mg 2x a day. At first, I felt fine. No nausea or headache. Three or four days later, headache and uncomfortable pressure in head. I drove to work and actually felt drunk and out of body. At night, fatigue and very tired. Depression set in and I was irritable and had thoughts of major life changes (such as quit job!). This is very unusual. I called doc and they told me to quit taking, to which I fully agreed. I obviously cannot tolerate even this low of a dose."

Red eyes (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2019