User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Anthrax 1 reviews 27 medications

Lyme Disease, Arthritis 1 reviews 35 medications

Gastroenteritis 1 reviews 21 medications

Summary of Doxycycline reviews 865 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Doxycycline

For Acne: "I have been on doxycycline 100mg 2 a day for just over 1 month now, my acne (which was moderate cystic acne) cleared slightly within the first two weeks. Although after about 3 weeks of being on the antibiotic, my skin broke out into the worst state it had ever been in. I had many huge pimples all over my cheeks, which took a few weeks to fade away. although I feel the antibiotic must bring out everything under your skin first, before it becomes effective, as a few days ago my skin was almost clear. I am starting to break out again slightly, but nowhere near as bad as the previous breakout. if you are starting doxycycline, you must give it time to see good results and be consistent for it to work, as I have seen great results so far."

.anonymous. July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I started this drug to help with the bumps under my skin. I would like to say it's acne but reality is the Dr. and I really had no idea. He put me on Doxy to help fight the infection. Firstly, the instructions on these meds are very unclear... it says to not take it with milk and on an empty stomach... so I did that and puked on the bus which was VERY uncomfortable and gross. So the next day I took it with food, and guess what? 15 minutes later I was puking in the bathroom at work. Next day I took it with toast and I had a painful stomach ache all day. I just can't seem to win on these meds. I went 5 days with puking every morning at work. Acne wise, my face has cleared up.. but I'm unsure if it's because of the meds or the cream."

Natsmasha (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've been prescribed to take this medicine twice a day for 15 days and have really bad cystic acne. I'm about a week in and I think I'm in the purging period. All of the deep cysts in my face are becoming nodules!! I hope this goes away fast. I suggest not using many other products with this as it makes your skin super sensitive and I've been having a really red face if I use anything too harsh."

crybbboy July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Doxy 100 (doxycycline) for Bacterial Infection: "This is my last day of the 10 day for sinus infection and I am taking it to a lab to get it anaylized. Something must be illegal with this drug that it is prescribed so easily without specific instructions. I have been sick all week. Sinusitis and the affects of this drug has kept me in bed most of the week. I got ill on a weekend and had to go to one of those 'clinics', Next time I will go to E.R. I lost an entire week of my life. i.e. shoulder/neck pain, sore throat, 'something in my eye",dryness, light-headed-ness, lethargic, loss of appetite, dry nose, restless sleep, yet sleep all day, nausea, feel bloated, some diarrhea, and mentally disconnected. I was not a happy camper. And now on the 10th day, I still have an infection, yellow mucous."

krazzee Mary (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've been taking this for around a week and a half now. I'm supposed to take this for 2 months. Haven't really seen any change other than my cheeks are clearing up a little but my forehead is getting worse :("

aubs (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rosacea: "Doxycycline does not work on Rosacea or Occular Rosacea. Does nothing. Just as bad as Metrogel. Dermatologists keep prescribing these things. The old Squibb Sumycin Tetracycline used to do wonders. Now, they won't prescribe it."

alreadyhere July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Started a 7 day course which ended 7 days ago and apart from bad stomach cramps my symptoms as of today 11/07/17 are as bad as ever, no benefit to me at all."

con63 July 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "It started to clear up my acne after a few months of taking it, but the side effects were awful. I felt nauseous instantly afterwards and then was also sometimes sick, I couldn't sit or lie down for at least an hour afterwards and if I did I was guaranteed to be sick. I also had to make sure that I ate beforehand and didn't take the medication on an empty stomach because that would also cause sickness. The nausea was the worst part because I had to sit for half an hour feeling sick before I actually was which made it even worse. I eventually stopped taking it after about a year because my acne had completely cleared up, but then 6 months later it came back...only a temporary fix for me and the effects of it almost make it pointless"

tchar124 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rosacea: "I cannot imagine ever going back to a time before taking this medicine. I take 40 mg once a day. My skin in nearly perfect! Before this, I had developed rosacea in my 40's. Mostly large cysts and sometimes a horrible bumpy bright red patch on my cheeks."

TCHAYMAN July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Most effective drug I've taken for acne. DON'T TAKE WITHOUT A MEAL!!! ( but really thought everyone said to avoid upset stomach but it rips into the side of your stomach lining if you do this and you can get ulcers)Get really bad hormonal breakouts around the chin this cleared up immediately. Was able to get off and still have clean skin for Year after."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I'm on doxycycline currently I've been on it for 2 months now I was prescribed for 5 months, really hasn't been working... the moment I feel like my skin is clearing it takes a turn for the worst, it's crazy... if it was my choice I'd jump on accutaine take it once and not have to worry about this acne any more"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "I'm 24 yrs old. When I was only 4 I started experiencing crazy symptoms. Constant eye twitching, joint pain everywhere.. (Especially my hands) It wasn't until I turned 22 that a Dr thought to test me for Lyme Disease! After almost 20 yrs of searching for a diagnosis & treatment! I immediately was started on Doxy (100mg 2xDaily for a month) & referred to I.D. DR. I didn't even make it 3 days on the Doxy cuz the HERX! I wanted to die! Was then switched to a different antibiotic & again, only made it a few days on it because of how unbearable it was. A year later & I'm trying the Doxy again. Only 2 days in, feel like I'm dying. Whoever thinks Chronic Lyme isn't real, let me infect you & not get treated for years. Then let's see what you think!"

Aly F. (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This cleared up my skin wonderfully! I occasionally get a pimple every now but they are small and go away fast. It takes a few months to begin working however."

Ashleyvb (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I've been taking doxycycline for about a year know and it is amazing!!!!! I has terrible acne during my 7th grade year and had very low self-esteem. So I made my parents take me to a doctor and he prescribe me doxycycline. He told me it would get worse before it got better! After a month of taking it I could notice the difference and today I only get an acne spot every 3 months to 4 it's amazing and I totally RECOMMEND it!!! BUT there are some side effects, do not take it with MILK trust me I was either on the bathroom floor crying or throwing up!! Also take it with a big meal like dinner. And if you want something with MILK for dinner, wait a few hours after drinking the MILK and take it with some crackers. Hopefully this helped!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have been taking this medication for a month at 100mg, twice a day. I have had to limit my sun exposure and wear 100 SPF sunscreen as I have been getting horrendous sunburns since I have started taking doxy. My hands were so burned that they swelled up and blistered, making it very painful to even wash my hands. Every time I go outside, regardless of how much sunscreen I am wearing, I am guaranteed to get a sunburn. I was prescribed doxy to help with my acne but it is not worth it to me and I will no longer be taking it."

keff (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Doxycycline treats bacteria build-up in the respiratory area. The burning of this drug is only attacking the bacteria build-up, which means it's working. As with any drug wait 3 to 4 hours before continuing the second dose; after taking Doxycycline drink plenty water, and wait 20 to 30 minutes before eating, and resume drinking water. On the second day only take Doxycycline once a day and follow above directions. Avoid sugar, salt, dairy products, brain cereal, and acidic foods. Soup and fruit that are non acidic is great. Your welcomed to look up your own foods. Bon Appetit"

Cassie123 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Doxy 100 (doxycycline) for Bacterial Infection: "I am allergic to penicillin and related drugs so my options mostly relate to tetracycline and its relations. For me that has been doxycyline. I have used it for respiratory & sinus/gum infections. This time I developed severe pain in the sinuses, significant discharge of nasty mucus with coughing, body aches, and bilateral ear pain resulting in dizziness. This occurred 3 days after I returned from a 14 day trip through the Southwestern states. Dr did a full exam. Temps were in 99.9 to 101.7 at first. It took about 4-5 days @ a dose 100x2 per day but it is working. I still have aches and ears still blocked somewhat with some dizziness but hoping that will clear. Tomorrow is day 7. Dr will check in@ day 10. So far so good."

meg74 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "I found out I had chlamydia 3 days ago. With the doxycycline I've had a really upset tummy but not been sick. My main problem is I'm really aching and do feel like my anxiety level has increased. I take two 100mg tablets a day. Thank goodness I only have too take it for 4 more days as I'm taking other medication on top of this I'm not a big tablet taker at all and I've lost my appetite"

Lip89 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I had Sinusitis for a week then went to doctors with severe headache, pressure on forehead , I told I have a bacterial infection, headaches, weakness, feeling lethargic. Had one tablet yesterday with a sandwich, one this morning with breakfast. Seems to be fast acting, as my nose is now clear again, no sign of infection, no pressure or pain, I believe this is the best antibiotic I have ever taken, feeling great today. With food also drank 200mls water. I believe everyone is different, I seem fine and can tolerate doxycycline medication just fine, no more pressure headaches .... yippee !"

Julzfromoz (taken for less than 1 month) June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "After suffering vertigo for nearly a week I became very ill and spent a week at Dartmouth Hitchcock. I have been diagnosed with suspected Anaplasmosis once and Lyme disease three times, most recently on 6/16/17. I have taken four 30 day courses and one 14 day course of Doxycycline hyclate 100mg, 2x daily. My physician will prescribe another 30 course of "doxy". I don't feel sick and don't remember having a tick. They can be so small its very easy to miss them. And, I'm tired of taking antibiotics even though I know I need them. "

Thernybob! June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Acticlate (doxycycline) for Acne: "I've been on for one week now, 75mg a day/3months. I have for the most part always had clear skin all of my life w/ an occasional pimple. I'm 27 and just this year I've been breaking out, cystic acne out of no where. I finally went to the derm after everything else failed. Like I said, it's been a week and I can tell you this medicine is tricky. I have some side effects, abnominal pain, severe headaches, couple others, but I see a such a difference! The stuff stuck in my skin is coming out, it's not drying my skin like trentinoin did. I've never been on medicine like this so take it at night before bed to avoid feeling some of the symptoms. Avoid the sun+ any drinking when on this, it will make you vomit!"

Candy sweets (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "The dermatologist prescribed me this and told me it would clear up in about two months and it hasn't cleared up at all after the two months. My face looks the exact same it did two months ago. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough but absolutely no progress has been made."

idk103820588 June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "I was diagnose about two weeks ago and was put on Doxy. By the second week I could walk short walks without agony. My right arm that they were sure was a frozen shoulder and we're going to operate on, I can now raise it up. It may seem small things but for two years I had deteriorated so badly, I wanted to celebrate walking 10 yards and lifting an arm. I'm excited for the future and I haven't had that in a long time."

Nomorelyme June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rosacea: "I have been taking Efracea ( the UK name for Oracea I believe) for nearly two weeks now. I would say that for the first 7-10 days my skin was somewhat worse: it was aggravated in that there seemed to be more spots, more obvious red rashly pimples/whiteheads but now at day 12 there is finally a definite improvement. It seemed during the first 7-10 days like the medicine was "forcing out toxins" - I know that's not science but that is how I would describe it. The redness is now reduced. The spots and bumps have gradually shrunken and reduced. My skin feels smoother when I run my fingers over it and looks smoother in the mirror. This is all over my face. My face looks less puffy. I can't believe the improvement. no side effects for me"

Nichten (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rosacea: "do not get in the sun you will burn up bad but it really worked for me"

Anonymous June 12, 2017