User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, Ocudox, Oracea, Oraxyl, Periostat, Targadox, Uracil, Vibra-Tabs, Vibramycin …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Doxycycline.

Anthrax

Gonococcal Infection, Uncomplicated

1 review 61 medications
Summary of Doxycycline reviews 6.8 908 reviews

Reviews for Doxycycline

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been prescribed Dyox for the lyme disease tick bite. Ya it messes with my stomach a bit but I don't have Lyme disease. I have been bit and red circled 7 times, NO LYME."

Outdoor person November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "June 20 2017 I walked in back of my fence area, where deer travel for 2 minutes, 3 days later had a pimple looking rash on back of left arm. I thought is was an acne pimple or mosquito bite. Started to feel fatigue, pain up and down my spine, brain fog, headache, night sweats. I thought it could be the flu, lucky for me a big red rash showed up 2 days later, so I went to my primary doctor. He tested me for lymes and it was positive. The worst system for me was the pain up and down my spine especially at night and before I woke up, the heavy nights sweats were worrying also. I have read tons of articles on Lymes and hope this can help others. I am in my 50s and in pretty good health, not over weight and exercise 1 to 2 days per week. I have never had any other health issues. The doctor prescribed doxycycline 100 mg orally twice daily for 30 days. Started to feel normal 2-3 days after started taking. I had no major side effects. After and during the 30 days I felt that I had killed the disease. Two months later out of nowhere my spine started to hurt again and night sweats etc came back. I waited 4 or 5 days to see if it was going to go away, but no suck luck. Went back to primary doctor, he thought I should try amoxicillin 500 mg orally three times daily for 21 days. Started taking it but the results were very different then Doxycycline. The whole 21 days plus 5 more days after I stopped having pain in my spine and no more night sweats, but my whole body felt like it was trying to fight off something and my arms felt like they had mild pins and needles in them for the full 26 days. I thought maybe that meant it was working, so I suffered through. After the 26 days I still wasn't feeling right , major bad symptoms were gone but still had brain fog and fatigue. Went to Infectious Disease/ Lyme Dr. told my story asked a lot of questions. He recommended I go back on Doxycycline 100 mg orally twice daily for 60 days and that should be it. I started taking it again November 6th all problem systems are gone and I'm feeling normal again. I also truly believe that exercise with machines or weights and 30 minutes or aerobics along with steam or sauna help a lot, heavy blood circulations gets you immune system to work better and gets the toxins out in my opinion. Lets hope I don't get the lyme systems back again after the 60 days. Good luck to all who come down with this terrible disease."

mystory1234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Prostatitis: "Moderate Prostatitis: Doxy working after a slow first 3 weeks. On week 6 now. Don't stop too soon if its working. Many experts recommend up to 12 weeks if necessary. No side effects except slight nausea for an hour if taking on an empty stomach."

Anonymous November 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Doxy works very well for me - no matter for what condition - but it makes me feel sick if I take it with dairy. I used to take it with yogurt. I learned to avoid dairy with, +/- 2 hrs before and after the med and I don't have problems anymore. Hope this helps. There is another trick. I have taken Doxy made in Europe and I never had any side effects - even when taken with yogurt. I have no explanation for this."

anonymia (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "Took medication for 7 days only side affect I had was that I couldn't have sex for 7 days :("

Jim230 November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Doxy 100 (doxycycline) for Bacterial Infection: "Have been taking this med now for the past 8 days, for an acute sinusitis infection, and paid strict attention to the pharmacists instructions..... YOU MUST DRINK A FULL GLASS OF WATER after you've taken it. Don't disregard these rules, or you will have severe side effects. Otherwise I'm hoping this time, doxy will clear it up as I was on amoxy and that didn't. This infection keeps repeating because of two bouts of pneumonia, and I'm sure residual infection wasn't properly cleared up then. This time I'm hoping with 10 days of the Doxy it will be so far so good.......BUT PAY ATTENTION TO THE FOOD AND DRINK ON THIS MED....."

celtie (taken for less than 1 month) November 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "3 days maybe, with a tick in my left side under my arm, upper rib cage? Got it out, whole, sent it to a lab, it came back positive for lyme and negative for co infections. On 3rd day when I found it, urgent care doctor gave a two time prophylactic dose of doxy and sent me on my way. Maybe that was good enough, but I was outside the 72 hr first dose window, & lyme is something I just do NOT want to fight with. I don't get flu shots, don't take my baby aspirin, don't take my multivitamins, etc, etc...but I also don't get sick. But this? I know people that have been seriously screwed by this so I went to my doc and got the 100mg 2x day script for 14 days. I THINK I'll be okay, I'm generally sturdy. But at 50yrs old I'm playing it safe. 1 probiotic midday, no probs."

DiddlyDeedums (taken for less than 1 month) October 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "I had years of weird problems, no one could ever find anything then in Feb 2017 I couldn't walk as my joints were so painful, they did tests but came back negative. But was so bad they went ahead and put me on doxy 200mg for 21 days in June and on day 18 things really started to turn around. My sense of taste and smell came back, I started to have energy again, my muscle tingling went away, the pain in my joints started to lessen and most of my other symptoms started to fade. It took a few months and then they started to level off at about 75% of normal so I just started a 30 day, 200mg. The only side effect I have is rash in groin and underarms towards to end of the run which I hear taking probiotics will help so going to try that."

Floridadude (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "Took zithromax (one single liquid dose) DID NOT WORK . Then 10 days later took it again DID NOT WORK. ***after seeing the reviews here, Took Doxycycline 200mg a day for 10 days – DID NOT WORK? Any suggestions?"

DID NOT WORK October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "I began to feel ill in mid June 2017. Muscle aches, mild fever, severe headaches, imbalance and just out of it. I could feel the veins in my head throbbing. It felt heavy. I saw my primary care who said I was coming down with something. Sent me for some blood work and referred me to a neurologist for the severe headaches. I saw the Neurologist end of July (earliest appointment due to a cancellation). I was sent for an MRI, normal. Sent to an ENT, normal. Sent to my eye Dr., normal. In October I finally had a West blot & other tests done and came up positive for Anaplasmosis. Began Doxycycline for 12 days. Headaches have seem to go away but still having some issues. Next visit is with the Lyme Specialist."

RILG October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Lyme Disease: "Third day taking this medicine. Extreme nausea to the point where I can't eat or drink without feeling like I’m gonna be sick/ actually throwing up. Really hope this works cause honestly don't know how I’m gonna stand three weeks of it."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have been taking doxy tab for about 17 days 100mg a day. The first week I saw no difference I still had mild acne on my cheek and on my chin. The second week my acne on my chin was a little bit better. Now, I am on my 3 rd week and I'm on my period so this is why I think that it is worst."

LÉA ecew October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "Was prescribed this for a sinus infection and had some really bad side effects, such as severe dizziness, nausea, lightheadedness, feeling spacey, and vomiting. I'm very sensitive when it comes to any kind of medication."

Maryo2000o October 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I am taking doxy (capsules) along with clarithromyin for almost 2 months now because of a skin infection. The first day I took the cocktail (had to take both twice a day) I got a headache so strong that I couldn’t put my head on the pillow. I asked the dr and told me to take the doxy alone to see if there were any changes. As I started to take it alone, I did no feel the headaches any more so I incorporated the clarithromicin but with a two hour difference. In my second month, the pharmacist gave me tablets instead of capsules and I cannot stand them! Nor alone or with the clarithromicine whatsoever. Headaches are horrible! Stop taking them. I’m not really sure if it was cause of the change from capsules to tablets though."

Betty84 October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bronchitis: "I think the people doubting the effectiveness of doxycyline on their bronchitis either have a rare allergic reaction, aren't being diagnosed properly, or they're improperly associating their negative symptoms with the doxycycline. I've been taking one pill twice a day for the last 60 hours -- every time on an empty stomach -- and I've had absolutely no negative symptoms. Not even gastrointestinal. Been feeling better every day. The ones discouraging use are a loud minority"

Sengarden (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I love this antibiotic it helps my UTI brilliantly I have suffered with UTI's infections for over 60 yrs yes 60yrs and had every antibiotic going in that time But remember you must take on a full stomach if you side effects that affect to your stomach"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "100 mg every 12 hours for suspected sinus infection. Took 3 pills and refused to take anymore. Nausea and headache. I never have difficulty with medication. Doc switched me to z-pack. Will never take it again."

123Belle123 September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I have always had clear skin until I turned 30 and just one day I started having severe acne all over my face. Called up my derm and she recommended Doxcycline. I am on my week 2 of this drug. Not seeing any major changes yet. Derm said that I need to take it 2x a day with food and apply topical cream (Retin A) at night. I really really hope it clears up after 2 months of course."

anisha14 September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bacterial Infection: "I have had Doxycycline 100mg for 7 days in two occasions, first for a gynecological infection and recently for sinusitis. In both cases, the drug had a very slow unset of action. The symptoms mostly disappeared on day 5 but the short treatment couldn't clear the infection. In the first occasion, I couldn't get it continued and got a bad recurring infection. This time I try a prolonged treatment. I believe the reason is that doxycycline is a bacteriostatic agent and merely prevents bacteria from reproducing. The immune system itself should kill the bacteria. So, if your immune system is somehow weak it can't do the work in time. Anyway, doxycycline had a positive effect, even if it was prescribed empirically."

Cyxod (taken for less than 1 month) September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Okay so I've had pneumonia (Viral) and now I'm left with post viral bacterial bronchitis infection. I've been given Doxycycline (Sandoz) tablets and have only taken six tablets. Now my doctor also notice that I also have quiet severe acne and scaring. He explained about the medicine and said if my skin starts clearing up let him know and I can get more. My experience so far is amazing only reason why it's one off from 10/10 is because I did break out in the first 3 days and it brought up an ugly big pimple that has left me bruised. 3 days later almost gone. My face is not sore as it was before. On top of it I do have a daily routine (sometimes). I take Bio Zinic tablets, deep cleanser (Niva) and Real-U (cream) on affected areas. I clean my face 4 days a week."

HappyUser September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I just started my second week and my face feels slightly better .. First week was horrible I broke out I guess it takes all the dirt out at first and then clears your face.. ( hopefully ). I was about to give up the first week I really went through a hard depression phase but my mother a pharmacist overwhelmed me with motivation. Guys I promise you just have to be patient. My second week is so much better and I am also using differin gel which helps too. I apply it at night and papulax lotion . Drink lots of water and be patient. Good luck"

KCCCCCC (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "Day 4 on this medication. Note I did not have any symptoms before being diagnosed but now it burns when I urinate and even after. Other than that I've had no symptoms. And on a positive note, it has cleared 80% of my acne which is awesome! Let's hope it gets rid of my infection."

MKbabe (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Chlamydia Infection: "It is obviously proven to treat Chlamydia there isn't any question about that. It's the side effects that are the problem. For me it caused me severe depression that I never ever usually have. It has caused me to feel very emotionless and has completely deprived me of any ability for a genuine healthy sleeping pattern. It has caused me to throw up once (which started as violent shaking and a horrible nauseous feeling which ended in throwing up and going to sleep still shaking but no longer nauseous) and caused me nausea one more time (I didn't puke). Overall if there was any time in my life where my depression sunk to the absolute lowest then it'd be now. Just be aware"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I was on doxyclyine for about 5 months. Before I started it I had mild acne and just little breakouts on my forehead every once in a while. The first month I was on it, I saw little to no change, but once I got to month 2 my face was almost completely clear. I was also using a topical cream alongside the pill. By month 5, my skin was still clear, but one night when I took the pill I didn't take it with enough water and it didn't go all the way down my throat without me realizing it. I woke up the next morning with crazy chest pain and went to the doctor to find out I got an ulcer in my esophagus from the pill! The pain in my chest lasted about three weeks and it was terrible. Moral of the story, drink lots of water when taking this drug and eat afterwards so the food pushes it all the way down and definitely don't lay down after taking it!!"

Klh0728 September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I had kidney stones and a severe kidney, and UTI infection, I was prescribed this medication in the hospital. The infections cleared up however I had a horrific reaction of severe burning of my hands and feet! Do not go in the sun at all while on this medication. My hands and feet are blistering and peeling badly. I don't recommend this medication. Ask your doctor for another antibiotic."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017