User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Vibramycin, Monodox, Oracea, Adoxa, Doxy 100, Doryx, Targadox, Morgidox, Doxy-Caps, Avidoxy, Doxy 200, Acticlate, Oraxyl, Doxy-D, Alodox, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Adoxa CK, LymePak, Uracil Mondoxyne NL Okebo Doryx MPC …show all brand names

Doxycycline has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 1,445 ratings on Drugs.com. 51% of those users who reviewed Doxycycline reported a positive effect, while 25% reported a negative effect.

Anthrax   10.0
Pleural Effusion   1 reviews 15 medications
Summary of Doxycycline reviews 6.5 1,445 reviews

Reviews for Doxycycline

HazT · Taken for less than 1 month March 7, 2021

For Acne: “This worked on my acne, but it gave me headaches that got really bad at the end of month 1, to the point that I had to stop it before my 2 month course”

EeJie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2021

For Acne: “Doxycycline is useful to treat my acne for a course of about 3 months. But, after stopping the course of drugs, the acne had got bad again.”

Helen Kae February 26, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “Took doxycycline for 10 days for a sinus infection. It did absolutely NOTHING but cause severe head aches. 4 days after finishing the antibiotics and I was still sick with the sinus infection. Got put on Augmentin and literally after 1 day feel SO much better. Doxy is useless against sinus infections.”

Lacy · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 25, 2021

For Acne: “I didn't like taking doxycycline. I was prescribed for about a year before I gave up. Acne got monumentally worse and my hormones were imbalanced, even with my IUD. I would get I would have only one beverage and vomit uncontrollably. 0/10 do not say yes to this prescription.”

Susan · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2021

For Acne: “Works great for regular acne, but only kept my cysts under control for as long as I was taking the medication. Doctor says that I will have to have steroids injected into the cysts to get rid of them or I can have them surgically removed. All 100 of them?”

Scharharis · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “Doxycycline did absolutely nothing for me. I don’t know why they even prescribe it anymore when it does absolutely nothing for almost everyone.”

Miket · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2021

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I had first course eight tablet at a dose of 100mg per day. That did not clear up the redness and pain from my little toe below the nail. So got a further 8 x 100mg today by prescription. It is a bit easier but not sorted yet. Hope second course clears it up. I am using Brulidine cream also.”

Fee · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 22, 2021

For Pemphigoid: “Doxycycline along with nicotinamide and low dose prednisolone has worked for my mucus membrane pemphigoid which has affected my mouth.”

Newbie2021 · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2021

For Bronchitis: “While I normally never have reactions to a new medication, this one I did. 1/2 hour after taking it I had diarrhea and vomiting. Prescribed for bronchitis. 100 mg. 1st dose was w/out food. I'll try 2nd dose with food and see how that goes.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2021

For Prostatitis: “This is my 4th round of this drug doxycycline for Prostatitis. Two tablets 100mg a day. Longest was 12 weeks. Did not like taking it that long, but did. Very anxious taking it, but no side effects. Just a little upset stomach since you have to take it on an empty stomach. Helps get rid of prostatitis for me. Usually within days it gets rid of it.”

Tam · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Scariest experience in my life and I've been septic twice before so that says a lot! After finishing a week of doxy I had trouble with wheezing, then diarrhea, then massive attacks of high blood pressure and heart rate. Felt like a heroin overdose...two trips to ER with zero help. Day 10 of bad reaction, I’m still scared to be home alone with my kids. Allergist thinks it was a drug induced Vaso-vagal response....BEWARE!!!!! NEVER again!”

Jayda88 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2021

For Acne: “I started taking doxycycline after I got bad acne on my neck and back after getting B12 injections. I was taking doxycycline for 3 months. My skin definitely purged and got worse while on it, but you need to stick with it and it gets better. I have been off it for 2 months and my acne hasn’t come back (here’s hoping it doesn’t come back as bad as it was)! I had no side effects while taking it.”

Tom · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2021

For Acne: “Used Apo Doxy for acne for 1 month. Side effects included vision problems, nausea and I lost about 6kg during this time. I also felt very depressed during treatment and experienced bad fatigue. Pimples went away but came back immediately after treatment stopped. Whilst most side effects went away after a few weeks I still have a bad appetite and nausea which I didn’t have before taking this drug.”

Anon · Taken for less than 1 month January 28, 2021

For Chlamydia Infection: “Started taking doxycycline today, 1st pill this morning and had to rush for the toilet but after was feeling fine all day long! Until my 2nd tablet in the evening, wow what a different experience, I suffer badly with anxiety and this has me feeling very weird and reading these do not help at all! Pains, headaches, severe acid reflux, racing thoughts, panic attacks, just lying in bed trying to relax now, horrible drug, just praying it works after these 7 days of hell! 100% lesson has been learned here.”

Bond007 · Taken for less than 1 month January 27, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “I took this doxy along with a steroid for sinusitis infection for 10 days stop using it on the 7th day. My infection is cleared up however the side effects of this isn't worth it and I'll never use it again. I'm on the 7th day of this my neck was stiff and I was extremely hot and had anxiety to the point to where I thought thought I was going to pass out and heart and blood pressure was extreme. For me this would be the equivalent of a cocaine overdose seriously! Beware”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2021

For Pneumonia: “I was prescribed doxy for pneumonia and it has been 3 days and I'm starting to feel a lot better already. The only symptoms I've experienced is fatigue and a mild headache which I'm not sure is related to the doxy. Although I do get a little tired about 30 minutes after my doses and this lasts for the first 3-4 days it really does help so well. Symptoms are similar to the antibiotic keflex which is very tolerable but I've never had an upset stomach or nausea. I usually eat a little before taking my medication. It's advised not to eat foods with calcium/milk and to be sure and drink with at least 8 ounces of water. It works well for me! :)”

Reinhardt · Taken for less than 1 month January 19, 2021

For Urinary Tract Infection: “The two side effects that always got me while taking doxy were the feeling of nausea and having diarrhea shortly after taking the medicine. For the nausea, I would just eat and it would pretty much immediately go away. Anyways... I did a 10 day course because I noticed burning in my urethra while peeing and the need to go to the restroom very often, and after about the 3rd or 4th day, the burning was gone but it took until about the 7th or 8th day for the urgency to pee to go away. I’m an adult male 6’1, 230lbish, and I took a 100mg dose twice a day, usually 12 hours apart. Hope this helps!”

Topher · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 19, 2021

For Prostatitis: “Was first prescribed this at 100mg twice a day. At first it was doing ok but then I noticed I was in fear all the time, googling everything and assumed it was going to be the end of me. This stuff made me have severe anxiety and depression. It brought the prostatitis to a minimum and kept it at that level so I am thankful for that, that being said the dark side of me really came out. Please READ FOR YOURSELF about this medication before taking. P.s. still suffering from side effects”

Unknown · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2021

For Chlamydia Infection: “I got tested positive for Chlamydia and was prescribed Doxycyline for a week and Ciprofloxiane for 10 days (for some reason) by my doctor. All symptoms have seemed to go within time but the penile discharge hasn't gone away. It's been about 5 days since I stopped doxycycline and a couple of days since I stopped the other one. Is it normal to still be discharging?!”

BigBird · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 17, 2021

For Rosacea: “I've been living with rosacea for the last 10 years, I'm now 60. Upon first spots, boils appearing, and as I love gardening, thought I'd had insect bites. Was put on various antibiotics, lymocycline, oxytetracycline, and on bad breakouts (huge pus filled, red boils) amoxiclav, huge tablets, with little effect! After seeing another doctor, who took photos and referred me onto consultant, was diagnosed with type 2 rosacea, and put on Effracea (doxycycline) 40mg modified release. Can honestly say, have never looked back! Within a week face started clearing, had a healthy glow, and when a spot tried to appear, never really erupted like before, and was brilliantly controlled. Recently another doctor declined my prescription, and got me to try Soolantra cream. I stopped tablets, applied cream, within one week face breaking out, by week two, huge spot, face felt dry, itchy. Thankfully doctor put me straight back onto tablets, now awaiting what I know will be a much better looking face.”

Em P · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “I was prescribed doxycycline 100mg 2x a day for a sinus infection after a z-pack didn't quite knock it out. My doctor warned me that it could cause heartburn but that it could be avoided by not laying down after taking it. I took my first dose the first night and didn't have any issues. I felt ok after the next 2 doses but had a little nausea and little appetite. I took them at 5:00 am and 4:00 pm and went to sleep around 9:30. I was upright all day until bedtime. I woke up at 1:00 am with the absolute worst heartburn and reflux pain I have ever had. I was burning from stomach to throat, was burping acid, and could feel acid bubbling in my throat. I chewed a roll of Tums and took a pepcid and paced my apartment and cried. I was ready to go to the ER but it finally subsided after a few hours. I called my doctor and was switched to a different antibiotic. I will NEVER take this again.”

Brett · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2021

For Prostatitis: “I took doxycycline (100mg twice a day) for 28 days and experienced no side effects. However, it also did not resolve the issue, and I continue to have symptoms.”

K January 12, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “Started Doxy and was fine. I am allergic to pencillins. Within a few days I had the worst headache ever and by the end of the course I had severe nausea and restless legs. Feeling really drained and tired all day but cant sleep at night. The worst a/b I have ever taken.”

Snoopyoday · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2021

For Bacterial Infection: “Everytime I take this antibiotic, I feel like I am going too pass out. My head felt like it was going too explode, and I couldn't move my neck.”

Irms · Taken for less than 1 month January 2, 2021

For Pneumonia: “I am on my first day of using doxycycline and after the second dosage I started to feel the improvement of my bacterial pneumonia. Please, eat before taking the medication. Yes it will make you nauseous, yes it will give you headaches, the cons of taking a strong antibiotic. Drink a full glass (8oz) of water when you take it. Avoid dairy foods for about 3-4 after taking it. Also take a probiotic 4 hours later taking the doxy, you don't want it to kill off the good bacteria you have. And a MUST, FINISH THE COURSE. You can't expect it to work wonders right away.”