User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, LymePak, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, Ocudox, Oracea, Oraxyl, Periostat, Targadox, Uracil, Vibra-Tabs, Vibramycin …show all brand names

Anthrax

1 review 61 medications
Pleural EffusionNot rated - Be the first1 review 14 medications
Summary of Doxycycline reviews 7.0 1,019 reviews

Reviews for Doxycycline

For Acne: "I had not severe but noticeable acne and wanted it cleared was on medication for 6 months first 3 months I broke out awful then it cleared and my skin was clear just hyperpigmentation marks been off it two weeks and been waking up with a new spot every morning entering depression again no idea what to do"

Kieran b (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 4, 2018

For Bronchitis: "I was prescribed doxycycline 100mg 2 a day for 10 days after struggling with a persistent cough that was going on for 2 months. Within 2 days my cough was non existent and I finally had a full night of sleep. Then came the problems. On the 3rd day, I hadn’t eaten breakfast before taking my morning dose. I was sent home from work after vomiting it up. That night I took it on a full stomach and no problem. On the 5th day (today) it was really hot outside. Walking into work with jeans and a T-shirt, I felt like the UV rays were penetrating my clothes. After work I got in the pool, but couldn’t stand it after 30 minutes. My skin was burning so bad. Photosensitivity is a side effect it seems. 3rd strike was my throat was starting to feel raw a few days ago. Back around my tonsils and far back top of mouth around sinuses and uvula. It is slightly red too. It isn’t a typical sore or swollen throat. It’s just raw and hurts. So I’m done with these antibiotics."

Tortoise Qeen (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed Doxy 50 mg twice a day for 30 days for a rash on my face. It's been 2 weeks and the rash is disappearing, with no side effects. I'm very pleased."

Dee (taken for less than 1 month) July 4, 2018

For Acne: "I have moderate to severe acne, also known as acne vulgaris. Before doxycycline came into my routine I tried all different kinds of creams, cleansers, exfoliators, moisturizers for my face and none of them worked. My face got extremely bad when I used products with harsh ingredients. For my face cleanser I use all natural ingredients, I use the brand Eminence. There products are all natural and have different products for different types of skin problems. Then I use the doxycycline in the morning and at night. My acne has gotten less bumpy, still a tint of red but definitely an improvement!"

Gabzgabz101 (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2018

For Acne: "Do not use doxycycline if you don't want to risk losing some of your vision! Sure it helped get rid of THE PAIN on my cheek cystic acne. BUT I still have it the only thing that changed is the pain and SLIGHTLY the redness. Do not take it people its risks are real only a few days in it my head felt like it was going to explode, I felt like I might faint every 10 seconds I never had a strong headache like this. It's a side effect where the blood pumps so hard in your head that it starts effecting your eye vision. Mine got badly blurry which scared me cause I already can't see properly and have a family history of bad vision. I recommend that you use a natural antibiotic or just rely on probiotics. I'm seeing a GOOD dermatologist soon to get rid of this rubbish medicine"

Zee (taken for less than 1 month) June 28, 2018

For Acne: "I got most side effects including tinitus and hallucinating."

Aid (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 25, 2018

For Acne: "This medicine has really worked for me, I had acne for many years and I have to try a lot of stuff (over the counter) and did not work. Until I went to the doctor for a ear infection, she ask about my acne and told me about doxycycline that will help me clear my face, a few days later I saw results and I have never been happier. So far it worked for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2018

Doryx (doxycycline) for Acne: "I just started this medication yesterday and I have 0 appetite and I can barely feel my left arm as I type this. I have an extremely high metabolism and no matter how much I eat I stay at just about 103 pounds. If you weigh around the same much or generally know your metabolism is high, I don’t think you should take this medication. Maybe I should seek medical proof because I think my arm is going to fall off"

Anner (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2018

For Lyme Disease: "I am a 55 year old woman and was prescribed Doxycycline Hyclate 100mg for Lyme Disease. I took it twice a day for 30 days. During the last week of treatment, I noticed how I started to feel depressed: I found everything and everyone to be irritating, and I just wanted to be left alone. Yesterday was my first day without the medication, and I spent the most awful night of my life: I experienced vivid suicidal thoughts, was contemplating ways to end my life, and even wrote a letter to my children. The next day, I browsed the Internet and noticed I was not alone! I feel the company should absolutely list suicidal thoughts as a side effect of their drug, not only for adolescents, but for adults also. This way, family members and doctors could be warned and keep a close eye on every person to whom this drug is prescribed. If you've experienced suicidal thoughts while using this medication"

Jancianne June 19, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I was given Doxy for a sinus infection and I immediately felt terrible. I had horrible watery diarrhea, headaches and neck pain... I couldn’t sleep and was dizzy / lightheaded and the worst was I was incredibly irritable and had a short fuse. I wouldn’t recommend this medicine to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Acne: "I have severe acne (face, back, chest) after a few days of doxy my skin started to noticeably clear! I use it in conjunction with differin and bezac-I haven't had this clear skin since I was at school. I have tried many medications and skincare previously and nothing has worked as well as this! Everyone has different experiences, I hope it works for you."

Chan (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2018

For Prostatitis: "Was prescribed “empirically” for prostatitis. After 1-2 days, thought I was dying. Blood felt toxic, severe cranial pressure, could not get out of bed. Almost called 911. Tried a few more rounds with food, definitely helps to take with food, but still not great. Switched to Zpack and virtually had no symptoms and it actually worked a bit. I later found out I have a different bacterial infection, wondering if Doxy made it worse by weakening my gut flora and immune system. Nasty stuff."

Hatemeds June 13, 2018

For Bronchitis: "I went to the Drs day after my trip on a plane because I woke up with a severe sore throat and could hardly swallow. He asked me if I was coughing I said not yet but I can't breath too well. After visit he says I have acute bronchitis and prescribed doxycycline. The first day I had bad headaches but Tylenol usually help and it helped me sleep. The 2nd day I started coughing and lots of green mucus (sorry that sounds awful) but I can now breathe. The only side effects I had are headaches and muscle spasms and oh my toes when I'm trying to sleep. I've had no stomach problems. Have to take them for 7 days and I will see how I feel. I have not been sick with the flu, cold, bronchitis, pneumonia for over 8 years so this getting sick is terrible for me. I blame it on the plane ride."

Margo (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

Oracea (doxycycline) for Rosacea: "It has truly been a miracle drug for me!!! I couldn’t be happier with the results!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 11, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "DON'T TAKE THIS!!!! I thought I was dying. I had to go to the ER my head was pounding felt like it was about to explode. My blood pressure was 139/80. My normal blood pressure is 108/54. Felt achey everywhere fever chills. My tongue started swelling it started getting harder to breathe. It was horrible!!"

Kate (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "After 5 years of specialists and numerous treatments I was prescribed Acticlate, which was a miracle drug. Without insurance it went up to over $1000. I tried the cheaper Dava brand doxy-hycl and it is useless, my condition is 4x worse than without and drug at all. Why can those of use who want a real medicine have to pay a weeks salary to get it?"

aew (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I had a boil that got larger and painful over a 5 to 6 day period. I was using epsom salts and water warm compresses which often cures a minor skin infection for me but not this time. Due to the location my physician did not want to lance it, so she prescribed 10 days of this medication. The boil started to improve rather rapidly . I continued the hot compresses for a few days. I tried to eat something ( but not dairy), drink water, and use sunscreen , all part of the instructions. My main side effect of the medication now seems to be mild to severe nausea that started about day 5, I am on day 8 .The nausea is lasting almost the entire day , and I have had headaches. I rate the drug highly for me as it is curing the staph infection, which is markedly improved. This antibiotic, like most drugs, is not for everyone. As I am I am allergic to other antibiotics, I feel like I have to put up with some side effects that are not dangerous."

Galbelle (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2018

For Acne: "I am a 18 year old girl who has been taking this tablet once a day for three weeks and my skin has become noticeably worse. I originally started taking the drug due to mild spots/acne on my face and mild spots on my back and chest. Last week I noticed I had developed rash-like blemishes on my neck. I am unsure whether they are small red spots or whether it is a rash but this is definitely a side effect of the drug. During the first week, my skin improved significantly and it became a lot smoother, along with the pimples on my back which began to reduce in size. This week I have developed sore, whiteheads/papules on my face - around 4 nasty ones. I'm worried that my skin will only become worse so I’m going to give it two more weeks and see how it goes. No other side effects so far and I’m hoping this is a ‘gets worse before it gets better’ situation :/"

Pip (taken for less than 1 month) May 30, 2018

For Acne: "I have suffered a lot with acne since 2010 after A levels going to University. Here in Africa I used all sorts of topical treatments - creams and gels and meds then went on doing diets eliminating yeast products in my meals but this still didn’t work !! Went to a pharmacy and a young man prescribed me Isotretinoin and asked me to combine it with Doxycycline. The Isotretinoin was too expensive so I could only afford doxycycline which I used. It has been two weeks and results are tremendous. Unbelievable but the acne is no more, my face is no longer inflamed as before, all am dealing with now is the scars but never been happier ! Anyone with this cystic acne please use this. Take it twice a day and consistency is key . Thank you to whoever came up with the Drug Doxycycline"

Xebiah (taken for less than 1 month) May 28, 2018

For Acne: "I been on this drug for over 4 months. My acne has always stayed the same, not too aggressive but still ever present. When taking doxycycline, after two weeks it began to spread to my shoulder blades and back. My acne on my face became more obvious and noticeable, with more appearing everyday. I still haven't come off it, per doctor's orders, but I would not recommend taking Doxycycline. Whether it makes your acne worse before clearing up or it not, I wouldn't take it unless you have severe acne. Stick with gentle exfoliating scrub face wash (always get gentle as to not aggravate the skin) and depending on your skins composition you should always try a charcoal face scrub. However, it does clear up sometimes but it has never left me permanently. And when I say clear up, I mean not as noticeable. I would also advise the use of face masks but only if blackheads and smaller pimples are a problem."

James Adams (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2018

For Bacterial Infection: "I was on doxycycline 100 mg, 2x daily for 7 days. I thought I was dying after 5 pills. I had been sick for over a week and the urgent care NP thought I should take this. I actually asked for amoxicillin and she refused. I had taken 3 doses and felt my heart race and dizzy. I called in to the urgent care but could not speak directly to her. The receptionist said I could stop taking it but she wasn’t convinced it was from the doxy. So I thought I’d push through. After dose 5, I left work at noon and went straight to my family doctor, I thought I was dying. I had watery diarrhea exploding from me. Ten times before noon! I was severely dizzy, I couldn’t even think about eating. I had cold sweats, and a weird headache. I felt like my brain was swelling!! My vision seemed bowed, that’s the only way I can explain it. I couldn’t see anything straight. He told me doxy is a horrible antibiotic, the side effects are too common and severe. He doesn’t prescribe."

Bossphio (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2018

For Rosacea: "I'm 36 years old and have been dealing with rosacea (papulopustular type) for about 3 years. I did not want to take antibiotics, but was desperate to find something that worked. I started the doxycycline 3 weeks ago, and it has almost completely stopped any new bumps from forming. My cheeks are much smoother and less inflamed. I'm really pleased with the results so far. I still have a few spots that are still healing and fading from before I started the doxy, but there are no new spots. I still flush at times and have some redness, but I'm just glad the bumps are so much less. The only bad side effect I'm noticing, is that my skin seems much more sensitive to the sun, my nose seems to be getting sunburned in a way that it never has before. I'll just have to be mindful of using sunblock on my face daily. I also have noticed my lips seem a bit chapped, not sure if this is due to the doxy or not. I have not had any GI problems. I have been taking a probiotic and eating yogurt daily."

Cait (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2018

For Acne: "After taking doxycycline for a period of around 3 months last summer I found my cystic acne to have completely disappeared. If anything is worthy of being called a miracle drug this surely is it for me. My face became completely free of pimples. Like not a single one. Unfortunately, my dermatologist only prescribed this to me for a period of 3 months (as it can affect the liver after sometime) and upon going off it my acne came right back; and quite aggressively it did. I do wonder if its possible my acne has gotten worse as I find its built a resistance to lower level medications such as Retin-A and benzoyl peroxide. I'm very tempted to go on this again as I know it will clear my skin while I take the medication, but I fear it will return at an even worse rate upon stopping the doxycycline."

Chris (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

For Lyme Disease: "I took doxycycline for 20 days when I had a positive Western Lyme blot test. I also had another active positive test six months later, but the CDC only recommends initial treatment. I've taken this med for many things because I am allergic to all drugs except Cephalosporins and tetracyclines. I saw a lot of bad reviews and just wanted to say I take this drug with absolutely NO side effects (just be careful about sunlight and drinking milk with it as per instructions) but I have taken it wonderfully and so has everyone in my family. I also have never met anyone who has had a problem with it. That's not to say everyone's not different -- I'm allergic to a zillion meds! -- but I wanted to assure that I don't believe the majority of people will have a problem with this med so don't be afraid to try it. It's used for many illnesses and is also used in veterinary medicine quite regularly. A few years ago the price spiked astronomically on this med - but I'm pretty sure it's come down now."

Susan H. May 18, 2018

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was prescribed this medicine for a skin infection caused by MRSA. Yesterday was my 4th day of taking the capsule and within minutes I was retching my guts out. I am a cancer survivor, and even with aggressive chemo I never threw up! I also experienced extreme loud ringing in my ears for several minutes. And I notice that I feel very tired on this drug.Well, that's enough for me...I'm Out!!!"

Glow-worm May 16, 2018