User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, Morgidox, Oracea, Oraxyl, Targadox, Vibramycin

Anthrax

1 review 61 medications
Pleural EffusionNot rated - Be the first1 review 14 medications
Summary of Doxycycline reviews 6.9 1,128 reviews

Reviews for Doxycycline

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I am on day 7 of doxycycline for an upper respiratory tract infection. I have been feeling shortness of breath, head feels weird little appetite and tingling in my back. Can't get in to see my doctor this week because they are booked. Not sure if I should stop taking the doxycycline. I don't like the side effects of it."

Becky2882 (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "Went to a new doctor for a sinus infection as I just moved into a new area. I've always used amoxicillin as I prefer no side effects or drowsiness. This doctor refused that completely and said I need a nasal spray and he would only give me and antibiotic if I got the nasal spray too, okay whatever I'll take both. I go to the drugstore, where the nasal spray cost me $50... And I find out he didn't give me a prescription for amoxicillin. He prescribed me this doxycycline. Well, I am on day 3 and let me tell you. Not only has my sinus infection NOT gone away, it has gotten so bad that I can barely hear and the infection is so bad that all my teeth hurt on the top of my mouth! I have the worst headache. I haven't been able to sleep for 2 nights, I'm high, I can't breathe, I'm sick, I'm in pain everywhere, chills, and I now have a throat and chest infection. I'd cry but I'm so out of it I can't. I feel helpless and afraid. This is the most awful medication I have ever taken."

Everything hurts March 7, 2019

Oracea (doxycycline) for Rosacea: "I was on regular doxy for several months for my rosacea (bumps and redness). Oral antibiotics are the only thing that have helped my skin look more normal. My dermatologist has switched me over the generic Oracea (a couple times actually). It seems to help my skin (not perfect, but pretty good), however, I get totally bloated on this medicine, and I've definitely been gaining weight, primarily fat. This wasn't really the case with regular doxy, but the Oracea always seems to have this effect. I will have to exercise more and adjust my diet if I'm going to stay on this stuff...So, I'm giving it a 8/10 since it helps my skin, but I'm not happy with the weight/fat gain and bloating."

Cait (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2019

For Ocular Rosacea: "My eye doc put me in 20mg 2x a day. At first, I felt fine. No nausea or headache. Three or four days later, headache and uncomfortable pressure in head. I drove to work and actually felt drunk and out of body. At night, fatigue and very tired. Depression set in and I was irritable and had thoughts of major life changes (such as quit job!). This is very unusual. I called doc and they told me to quit taking, to which I fully agreed. I obviously cannot tolerate even this low of a dose."

Red eyes (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2019

For Rosacea: "I had mild rosacea on nose and cheeks. Mainly the former which was bright red and inflamed with broken veins starting to show over a few month period. I rarely had pustules though. I tried out doxy 100 and initially for 5 or so days things got worse but then things calmed down. Nose still got red but not as much and the damage subsided i.e. you no longer saw broken red viens (the old damage remained). This was just over a 30 day period. So not a perfect but it seemed to have an anti inflammatory and antibiotic affect. I didn't want to be on antibiotics for too long so stopped (i just treated it as a trial to assess whether antibiotics/anti inflammations would work). Sadly once off within a few days everything started coming back and now a week or so later I'm right back to previous state. I'm now trying out Metronidale."

Bob84 (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2019

For Not Listed / Other: "I had this for a Sinus,Ear infection. The side effects very painful. Blisters on face and in mouth. Cured the infection but side effects very very painful."

Shorty (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2019

For Acne: "In my opinion, Doxycyline works great but comes with horrible side effects. I had moderate cystic acne and took this twice a day at 100mg for 9 months and my skin was completely clear after about 2 weeks. Not even a single black head or bump. After weaning off and being on the antibiotics so long completely messed up my disgestive track and have developed numerous allergies to different foods such as dairy, gluten, and soy. I don’t recommend for long term use unless you want to destroy your digestive system. Rather have acne than deal with this. Works great for acne while your taking this med but the long term side effects were NOT worth it for me. Acne also comes back when you stop taking the medication ... I would suggest spironolactone over this med for Acne."

Marissalynn88203 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 25, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "On day 3 of 200mg a day for 7 days for pneumonia and I feel like garbage. Definitely a lot of body aches and pains on the first night. Definitely following instructions regarding not lying down, I can't anyways because of my lungs. So far I've been following the instructions regarding no food within 1 and 2 hrs of taking my pill, but I've been puking this morning for the 1st time. Will try with a bit of crackers or toast to see if that helps. I'm annoyed because right now I'm not seeing much improvement for my lungs but the pills make me feel worst. I will try to persevere but I have a nagging feeling I have an ER visit in my near future."

Dee (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2019

For Acne: "Great. For severe acne I would suggest a topical cream to go along with it though."

JJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 22, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been on this medication for about 3 months. I was initially warned about sun exposure, but being from the midwest and winter was upon us, I was not worried. As the medication was working, I did not want to stop it and my cruise out of Miami was fast approaching. This is where the side effects of doxycycline kick in and well, let's just say 30SPF and 50SPF sunscreen weren't enough. We purchased 100 SPF and thank god we did! The tops of my feet got the worst of it. I actually could not sleep one night due to the pain. Imagine someone rubbing hot sauce all over your body and the burn not subsiding. It was intense! We purchased aloe and I took ibuprofen every six hours or so. I did what I could as it was a tropical get-away only for 5 days. I didn't want to miss anything! It has now been 3 days since my skin has seen the sun and my feet are still burning a bit. It's getting better though. I highly recommend this medication but I also highly recommend 100SPF sunscreen if you are going into the sun."

Luna (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 20, 2019

For Acne: "I’ve been on this medication for almost 4 months now. At the beginning my skin broke out like crazy. I decided I would keep going to see if it would clear up. But here we are 4 months later, and none of the acne that I broke out with in the beginning has gone away. It still is very bad, and much worse than when I wasn’t on this medication. I only had an upset stomach the first couple days I took it, but I learned that you need to eat, and drink a full glass of water with it. I’m still going to keep taking it, just to see if it will clear up. I have my fingers crossed."

Morgan (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2019

Doxy 100 (doxycycline) for Bronchitis: "Prescribed for persistent cough (8 weeks). Had little to no effect on cough, but a week after finishing course noticed development of very sore and sensitive finger nails, disappearance of cuticles, and slightly swollen round nails, very uncomfortable nail beds."

Deej (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2019

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I had been suffering from a lingering chest infection for about 3 weeks. I also found out I had chlamydia and was prescribed these, could feel improvement in my breathing by end of the first day, still coughing stuff up but seemed like it was being replaced with less. By the end of day 3 it was like I'd never been ill. It is a wonder drug. Shame all the antibiotics are gonna stop working :("

Big Kev (taken for less than 1 month) February 15, 2019

For Acne: "I was on this medication and a retinol for 4 years. The only reason I stopped was because I became pregnant. I never experienced any adverse side effects. I have under the skin acne, which is a lot of fine bumps on my forehead and checks and cyst on my jaw and chin. When prescribing, my Dr. told me it would make my skin much worse before it got better. He also said that the flare up would be a sign it was starting to regulate my acne, don't stop taking it. When the flare up happened it was bad. It was the worst my skin had ever looked, but I kept with it. I am happy I did, because a few months later my skin was the clearest it had been in years. It took 6 months for me to really see improvements. My skin was beautiful. I didn't look like I had pores, much less pimples. I've been off for some time and my acne is starting up again. I just received a new prescription. I'm excited to see the results again."

munchie (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 12, 2019

For Rosacea: "I have been dealing with moderate Rosacea Subtype 2 for a few years. Manageable. This Christmas I had the worst flare I’ve ever had. My cheeks were covered in papules. My face was bright red and BURNED and stung horribly. It spread from cheek to cheek within weeks and nothing would calm it down. Derm prescribed Doxy 100mg 2xday and within 2 weeks the burning subsided and bumps started to go away. I’m so thankful it worked. My skin is not perfect but the painful part is gone. I plan on continuing on with the pills for another 3 months. Please try this medication if you’re suffering from this horrible skin condition. I’m sorry if you’re having to suffer with this painful skin. Good Luck and remember this is temporary and it can be managed with antibiotics."

Jessie (taken for less than 1 month) February 2, 2019

For Acne: "My dermatologist prescribed Doxycycline for my acne. I must say, I do see an improvement and I get compliments on my skin. I definitely have fewer breakouts but my skin hasn’t changed immensely. I’ve been on doxycycline for 3 months. The only problem I had is itching and some acne on my back. I don’t experience itching as bad anymore. I would say to give it a shot. Give it time it’s not gonna work right away. Overall I like the way my skin is looking, take with water and eat before you take the pill it’ll save you from being sick."

Marcus (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 30, 2019

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I had a chest with mucus so was given doxy which improved me thru the day. I also took Alegra D so don't know if was the doxy or Alegra d that was the one that improved me (or both)"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 29, 2019

For Chlamydia Infection: "Got Chlamydia from someone who I thought I trusted. Major burning and lots of pus coming out of the tip of my penis. I'm taking 100mg/twice a day for 7 days. I'm literally just past the 24 hour mark of my 7 days and the pus has gone from white to clear and it doesn't hurt to pee anymore. I expect in a few days all symptoms will be gone and by day 7 I'll be all clear!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2019

For Bronchitis: "I had tried this drug before in the past for bronchitis and had to stop on day 2 because of headache, dizziness and overall feeling of being out of it. Yesterday doctor prescribed it to me again for bronchitis, 100mg/x2 a day. Took the first pill last night and woke up to a pounding headache and feeling out of it again. Called the pharmacist and he informed me with these reactions I should NOT take it again. There is a risk of cerebral hypertension that not a lot of people mention. If you feeling dizzy with a headache on this medication you should call your pharmacist and doctor just to be on the safe side. I wished I could have taken it as I started to see improvement of my symptoms of bronchitis the last time I took it within 2 doses. Guess I'll have to stick to the zpack and hope it can know this out of me."

Rainn (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2019

For Acne: "I was 3 months on it and slightly helped my acne without any side effect (taken with food), but it never totally cleared it and the purging period was so long.. I cried almost every day.. tomorrow I’m starting acnotren (generic Accutane) because I want to see my face totally clear again even though I have mild but persistent acne.. acne scars tip: I use aloe from the plant all over my face and it has help me a lot!!"

Athkg (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 21, 2019

For Rosacea: "This medication has been life changing. I had been battling constant pustules and papules for over a decade, getting much worse the last four years. I had tried a range of over the counter creams and treatments, and on rozex cream for a year - which helped a bit. A new doctor put me on this and in six months I have virtually no “pimples” or skin thickening at all. Miraculous. I did find I needed to combine it with a pill to settle my stomach, the main symptom burping and a little discomfort. My skin is now clear and I can happily go makeup free. Results began after two weeks but it took about five months for the full impact to be seen. Highly commended for p/p rosacea. I am in Australia and the price is very reasonable"

Susie Jane (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 20, 2019

For Lyme Disease: "Lyme disesase is very painful especially the joints. As well as my knees Doctors found it about 2 months after I was infected. I have been on Doxycycline for 2 weeks and 80% improvement. I have 2 more weeks of antibiotics and should be recovered. I do have spells of fatigue!"

ReRe January 16, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been on this for almost 3 months now. I have Hidradenitis suppurativa a bit in my lower region. I believe this is from having Mirena for 6 months (absolute worst decision of my life, but you can read that over on the Mirena reviews). The dermatologist even backed me on the fact that Mirena may have caused my hydradenitis supperativa. One week after taking this 100mg twice a day combined with a topical antibiotic, It's soooo much better. I am going on a cruise in a month, so when my initial prescription was almost out, I called and received another 2 month refill. I noticed nausea only one time in the morning on an empty stomach. Other than that, I have not had any unwanted side effects. My worry is being in the sun next month. I definitely don't want a horrible sunburn, but a little tan would be nice to get. So, my rx will run out in a month. I will then have to see if my condition gets better without the medication or if I have to start all over again."

Luna January 16, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "On 3rd day of taking doxycycline, relief already in my sinuses. No side effects as yet. Take with full glass of water and eat straight afterwards. (this is important because if it gets stuck in your throat/oesophagus it will burn and cause an ulcer - if you eat afterwards you know it has been pushed all the way down)"

Kb (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2019

For Acne: "I’ve been on Doxy since the summer so over half a year and my skin is so clear my side effects are minimal I’ve only gotten nauseous from it twice which is preventable by drinking enough water and eating food before, that is the only side effect I’ve ever gotten. At first it made my acne worse and I was mad and didn’t consistently take it but I eventually was taking it everyday once a day and after doing that consistently for a month or two my results were so good so please be patient and consistent"

Linds (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2019