User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Vibramycin, Oracea, Monodox, Adoxa, Doryx, Doxy 100, Acticlate, Doxy-Caps, Avidoxy, Targadox, Doryx MPC, Doxy-D, Oraxyl, Alodox, Morgidox, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Adoxa CK, LymePak Uracil Mondoxyne NL Okebo Doxy 200 …show all brand names

Bartonellosis 10.0
Pleural Effusion 1 reviews 15 medications
Summary of Doxycycline reviews 6.6 1,378 reviews

Reviews for Doxycycline

Allmansfan · Taken for less than 1 month June 16, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “cat scratch fever is not just a Ted Nugent song, I got it and it sucks. This medicine definitely works, and fast in my case. HUGE NEGATIVE is I cannot stomach the doxycycline. I am constantly nauseous, I eat breakfast before my morning dose, lots of water, and still suffer extreme nausea. After day 2 I was struggling to eat breakfast I'm trying to stick it out 4 more days, but I'm struggling.”

Ness · Taken for less than 1 month June 14, 2020

For Rickettsial Infection: “I've never written a drug review before. My experience with doxy was horrendous! The first day 2 x 100mg I didn't have any symptoms. 2nd day brought on an intense panic attack and irrational thoughts. My mood was so labile, one minute laughing followed by crying intensely. I'm a sensible person and this just floored me. It's reported that psychiatric effects between 1%-10% of people taking doxy. There are cases where people with no psychiatric history and normally content have had suicidal ideation and completed suicide. My doctor and pharmacist were unaware of this despite "depression and anxiety" listed on the consumer information leaflet.”

So far, so good · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 9, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I was on a dose of 200mg a day of doxycycline for two months, 100mg/ day for one month and now on 40 mg/ day for another month for a bad case of perioral dermatitis (40 year old female). Tried elimination diet, herbs and everything - and it didn’t work but this (with some creams, elimination diet like 80% of the time and tons of emotional processing) cleared my skin up!! I am totally sun sensitive so I try to stay inside (yay quarantine). I take it with a FULL stomach and I have no side effects. Also - I take the BEST probiotic from the vitamin shoppe. Dr is weaning me off gradually to avoid rebound... Wish everyone the best!!!”

Shel · Taken for less than 1 month June 9, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “This drug doxycycline hasn’t worked very well for my sinus infection. The side effects have been really hard, like intense nausea if you don’t take it very soon after eating. It also causes sensitivity to sunlight, including itchy, itchy arms and feeling temperature sensitivity in the shower. It’s the weirdest side effects I’ve ever had from a drug before.”

mahons · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: “I started taking this doxycycline a 4 days ago after my PID didn't go away from a less strong antibiotic. I was prescribed a 100mg pill, 2 times a day for 7 days. Within minutes after taking this pill I get very dizzy, my eyes become extremely sensitive to light, my stomach starts turning, and I get heartburn every now and then. I don't feel the pain from the PID much anymore (not sure if its because now I'm just focusing on the issues from the pills haha). I'm hoping my PID will be gone after this week and if so - all these side effects will be worth it but it is quite shocking! I've never been so affected by a medication before which makes me feel uneasy about taking this.”

Anonymous June 6, 2020

For Rosacea: “I am pleased as punch ! SOooo many years of major Acne Rosacea and taking one Doxy a day and voila, my complexion is beautiful, right on.”

Pennylock · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Had extreemly painful sinusitis. Had been given 2 lots of Amoxcillin which didn’t work . Given a 7 day course of Doxy .2 capsules to take on the first day ,then one a day This worked and I did not suffer any side effects at all . Would definitely take this again .”

Taylor · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

For Acne: “I started doxycycline in late July 2019 for acne. At the end of the 1st week my acne looked as if it dried up (meaning there wasn’t any pimples only acne scars). If you never use to wear sunscreen well you would need to especially during the first months, your skin is soooo sensitive. Waxing is a no no and exfoliating is a big no (learned the hard way lol). It also causes nausea, it is very important to take it whilst eating or right after a meal to not get nausea. The scaring eventually go away in 2 months or so after use (my experience), for quicker results my Dr. prescribed a skin lightening cream for spot treatment. After 6 months I was off Doxycycline and I just use Retin A and Deriva C alternatively. I don’t have any “active” acne well except the occasional 1 or 2 pimples that appear during menstruation.”

Sab · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

Acticlate (doxycycline) for Acne: “DO NOT TAKE THIS. I was prescribed Acticlate in 2015 and took it for about a month for my acne. It gave me permanent BLIND SPOTS. It’s been 5 years and they’re still present. I have read other people who this has happened to. Look up “doxycycline blindness”. Obviously medications are different for everyone, but I was perfectly healthy and not expecting to go blind.”

Mike · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

For Lyme Disease: “I was prescribed doxycycline for lyme disease. I took it for 4 weeks with great success and no side effects. After the first day flu-like symptoms and fever seemed a bit worse but by the third day had quickly disappeared. I completed the 4 weeks without incident and have been symptom free since. I know some people have problems with side effects, but for me it worked perfectly.”

C · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “Very effective in treating perioral dermatitis, I had no side effects compared to minocycline which gave me chronic migraines and vertigo. However the dermatitis has returned again and it's been 5 months since I finished a 3 month treatment. Very frustrating.”

Luna May 7, 2020

For Rosacea: “Worked for about 3 months. Was on it for 5. Came off it and am currently having the worse rebound. My skin is 100x worse than before”

Leigh · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2020

For Chlamydia Infection: “I was diagnosed with Chlamydia the doctor gave me doxycycline to take for fourteen days and I have four days left of taking them and my side effects are itching... I tried everything to keep the itching to a minimum like taking a hot shower, and wearing cotton underwear, and using pad for the discharge, and changing the pad every time I go to the bathroom but nothing seems to be working!!! This is really making me upset”

Ryan May 3, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I took a two week course of doxycycline because I had pain in my testicles, the doctor assumed it was a uti or kidney infection. Within a couple days of taking the drug I noticed I was having some serious mood swings (would only notice upon reflection of what I had said to people) Then came extreme sun sensitivity (ended up with pretty bad sun burn and eczema, mostly on my fingers and hands) and fairly regular tingling in my hands and joint pain in my knees and elbows, I also have serious sensitivity and pain in my fingertips (especially if i tried to squeeze something to pick it up).I Now about a month and a half after finishing the course have noticed pain in my joints again and the most strange thing for me in that my thumb nails are falling off and some fingernails connection to my fingers are starting to recede. On the other hand I basically had no problem with testicular pain straight from the first dose of the drug.”

Not feeling great May 2, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I took this medication in the past for pnuemonia. Felt a little bit nauseous but it was tolerable. Took it two times day. One hour before meal or two hours after meal. Didn't feel sick at day 3. I have a bad sinus infection now. Doc thought since it worked well for me before, I should take it again. This time it has been different. I completed my dose yesterday but I haven't seen change. I still have most of the symptoms plus woke up with a stiff neck. I noticed a few people here developed the stiff neck. Is that a side effect?”

Tweet May 2, 2020

For Chlamydia Infection: “So, I went to the doctor and got tested for Chlamydia, was also prescribed doxycycline, the side effects were absolutely terrible for me, I had chlamydia in the past and took two sets of two different antibiotics since I cannot take azithromycin. Those two sets of medications effects were nothing compared to this antibiotic. Luckily the doctors called me back and said my test was negative so I stopped taking the medication but now I am getting strong urges to pee and nothing is coming out? Now I am worried I do have chlamydia it was a false negative but it is very rare to get a false negative for a Chlamydia test. So I am not quite sure what is up.”

Cj · Taken for less than 1 month April 27, 2020

For Lyme Disease: “Avoid doxycycline like the plague! I was prescribed this drug as a precaution after being bitten by a tick which left an increasingly red ring surrounding the bite. After the first 3 doses my upper body and face were covered in an intensely itchy bright red rash. I was not out in the sun while taking this like many people who have a reaction to it. I have had a sun allergy since the 1990's and my body may have been a lot more sensitive to this drugs side effects. I started the drug on Thursday and only took one on Friday before calling my doctor. My prescription has been changed but I am suffering terribly from this still late Sunday night. Back to the doctor again tomorrow to see if I can put an end to this ungodly torturous rash.”

CPT2015 April 25, 2020

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “On day 2 of doxycycline. Congestion, vomiting, headache, is cleared up. Taking 100mg every 12 hours for 10 days for upper respiratory infection. Haven’t started my prednisone yet. My sinuses quit bleeding as well.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2020

For Pneumonia: “I had pneumonia and just finished the 7 day course of doxycycline two days ago. 48 hrs. The side effects using this with antibiotic and predizone are still effecting me. Increased heart rate, palpitations, shortness of breathe, anxiety attacks randomly (I don’t have anxiety) depression bouts where I feel sad, pressure in my head and bloating and burping. The three combined were awful with side effects. Pretty sure the pneumonia is gone... gotta deal w these side effects until the medications are out of my system. Do not take doxy if you fear side effects.”

J · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2020

For Chlamydia Infection: “Had burning sensation when I urinated, itching within the urethra, and white/clear discharge from my penis. I took two tablets a day for 7 days, and by day 7 all symptoms had cleared. I had a test come back negative just after completing the antibiotics... However exactly one week later, after completing the antibiotics the discharge and itching have returned!! Dr said to wait another week and see what happens. What's going on?”

Joan ie · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2020

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: “I've been prescribed Doxy (100mgs)for slight infection in chest. I have been taking them for 5 days now. Two together as one dose each day. They are making me extremely sick. I take with a pint of water after breakfast. Nauseated on and off all day. Diarrhoea several times a day. Feeling very anxious and spaced out since starting them. I have palpitations since starting them and on day 4 started getting pins and needles in my hands and feet. All day. Thinking of stopping them. It's awful”

Alex · Taken for less than 1 month April 17, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “I didn’t think it was even working for my sinusitis because I had basically no side effects, but the infection cleared very quickly. I had just switched because a terrible Augmentin reaction, but this was a cake walk. Teeth sensitivity and a little bit of gastric pain if I didn’t take with food. Sun burns my skin and very minor headache. I’ve been taking probiotics daily, but other than that I’m very happy with the results.”

Trish · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2020

For Bartonellosis: “Seems like it started with sinus. Low grade fever, cough, seems like I had this for months but just got worse. I ended up with very short of breath. Just walking a short distance. Had to try clearing my throat every morning then felt better. Finally got a script for Doxycyline and it didn't take long for my shortness of breath to to become so much better so I could do things I didn't think I could do again.”

bdmesq · Taken for 10 years or more April 9, 2020

For Mycoplasma Pneumonia: “For many years used: excellent and easy to use. Highly effective, absulute first choice”

San April 8, 2020

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: “I developed cellulitis on my right calf. Based on my medical history and a previous cellulitis case that required two courses of cephalexin, my doctor suspected that it was caused by MRSA and I given doxycycline hyclate prescription. I was rather hesitant to take this, since I'd heard that doxycycline isn't the best for cellulitis and due to side effects from other antibiotic classes (Azithromycin made me too dizzy to walk; Cipro made me have unrelenting diarrhea). But lo and behold, I developed only minor side effects on this drug (gas, occasional dizziness) and my infection started to look significantly better about six hours after my first dose. Avoiding calcium and iron was a bit of a pain, but I'm just glad that my infection was vanquished.”