User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, Ocudox, Oracea, Oraxyl, Periostat, Targadox, Uracil, Vibra-Tabs, Vibramycin …show all brand names

Doxycycline Rating Summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 125 medications used in the treatment of Bronchitis.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Bronchitis

"Just got this medication today for acute bronchitis was told specifically by the pharmacist to take on an empty stomach and only a small snack if GI upset. No eating for 1 hour afterward and wait two hours after eating to take a dose. Absolutely no dairy for two hours after the medication is taken or it will not work. Also, no iron supplements for 4 hours after the medication is taken."

98766543 December 30, 2017

"I had an awful sinus infection and bronchitis for over a week before going in to the doctor. It was so bad they prescribed me doxycycline instead of z pac. Doxy worked within 48 hours and I've been feeling great since taking it. I'm allergic to most antibiotics and have a sensitive stomach but this didn't bother me as long as I took it with a couple crackers. No other side effects!"

Alikay1 December 15, 2017

"Had no issues with this antibiotic, currently taking a 7 day course for a chest infection, have noticed a difference, before hand I was unable to sleep and hadn't eaten in 4 days as all the coughing was making me throw up and keeping me awake, after the first 2 days of taking this it calmed that right down and finally was able to get a good night sleep and eat. I'm currently on day 4, cough is still there but not half as much, also not as aggressive. Ribs are no longer in agony from the coughing. Personally I have had no side effects. I was told you have to take the tablet with a full glass of water and have done it both with and without food on my stomach and no difference. Must just effect different people in different ways"

Uk user November 23, 2017

"Does nothing for me. I have been on it for 8 days-still have the same symptoms as when I went to the doctor. Wheezing-coughing, congested head, sinus drainage,, etc. I wouldn't take this again-it's like the 7 day wonder pill they all prescribe -that doesn't work for bronchitis for me & this useless medicine isn't going to cure my problem either. Waste of money. I don't get sick often-but when I do-I need the antibiotics that will help me get well-not the dosage of this junk I was prescribed."

Macie7581 November 21, 2017

"I think the people doubting the effectiveness of doxycyline on their bronchitis either have a rare allergic reaction, aren't being diagnosed properly, or they're improperly associating their negative symptoms with the doxycycline. I've been taking one pill twice a day for the last 60 hours -- every time on an empty stomach -- and I've had absolutely no negative symptoms. Not even gastrointestinal. Been feeling better every day. The ones discouraging use are a loud minority"

Sengarden (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

"8/28/17 went to ER with Severe & unusual headache (with previous/ current health issues ), and wanted to rule out stroke (as I was diagnosed in 2013 with 'TIA' a mini stroke). After tests a stroke was ruled out but told I had Bronchitis. Hmm, never got a answer on how they came up with that conclusion & was given a RX for Doxycycl HYC 100MG ( 2X's a day for 10 day's ) after 1st days dose Wow! The nausea, Even More Severe headache & body pain, etc... & the headache was even more Severely Pounding than when I 1st went into ER ! 2days into taking this STUFF, this Drug! I searched the web for info & found there's Way too many severe & serious Side Effects for me that outweigh any possible benefits ! So I'm done ! I'm through with this drug too!"

Joy's Victories (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2017

"Glad to know I'm not alone after reading all the reviews. My doctor prescribed this to treat Bronchitis/possible pneumonia. Doc notes and prescription label never said anything about taking with food. The only thing the doc said was to stay out of the sun and avoid caffeine. Horrible stomach churning, major dry heaving every single time after taking this crazy pill twice a day. For 10 days I dreaded the nauseous, nausea, disgusting feeling. After all that, I'm still sick. Whomever created this pill is crazy and so is my doctor for prescribing this to me. Amoxicillin has been fine in the past, worst experience with a pill ever. Does the vomiting mean I'm allergic to doxycycline?"

Barf May 17, 2017

"On the third day of treatment at 2 pills per day I started to feel better, then on the fourth day I felt like it was getting bad again. I'm now going back to my regular doctor to try getting something that works. IMO The doctors today are so very afraid of prescribing any antibiotics that will work that they are hurting their patients more than helping. I've got a compromised immune system due to cancer from 2009. I waited till I knew my own system wasn't going to heal itself before going in to a urgent care. Then I'm given Doxycycline..a medicine that's for something that's easy to be rid of.Todays Ds. worry about giving enough pills & strong enough pills because they fear overuse of them, meanwhile people go around half sick!."

Susa973 April 11, 2017

"Ok first off whoever said to take with milk is a idiot. Taking too much calcium with this medicine as it bonds and makes the drug useless. Always take with food the medicine will not make you nauseous. On day 3 of the 10 day course I still feel like rubbish and coughing regularly. But I can see improvement this was my 2nd course of medicine as the first failed. Despite what the person said about pnuemonia DON'T stop taking this as is usually one of the medicines you would take paired with something else to treat pnuemonia. If you stop taking a medicine and the infection comes back it will then be immune to the drug and all its brothers and sisters. " food for though""

Not a idiot March 10, 2017

"TAKE WITH FOOD (or a glass of milk) and do not lie down!!! I made the mistake of taking one without food and had the severe nausea that so many people mention here. Once I realised my mistake I had a piece of toast and the nausea disappeared almost instantly. The Information leaflet also says to stay in an upright position for 30 mins after taking. When I forgot this and lay down straight after I ended up with heart burn. As for the effectiveness, it doesn't hurt to breath anymore and my chest does feel a lot better. I've still got a productive cough though so I'm not sure that 7 days worth is enough, but I'm a lot better than I was this time last week."

TAKE WITH FOOD (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

"I was prescribed this medication along with benzonatate for bronchitis. It says to take on an empty stomach. Which is crazy it made me extremely sick and vomited. Definitely take it after eating. Took about 3 days to improve my condition."

Ricky619 February 21, 2017

"The first time I took one of these pills, I felt extremely nauseous. The next day when I took another dose, I threw up 20 minutes later. I was puking for a good half hour. I am never taking this again."

mle7894 February 11, 2017

"Miracle worker! I was on amoxicillin for 5 days went back to my GP as my symptoms were no better if anything the infection had spread. My GP swapped me over to Doxycycline and with in 24 hours I started to notice improvements, I'm on day 4 (7 day course) and today is the first day I've not had a fever or been coughing non stop. The coughing is still quit persistent but with this med I'm hopeful I'll be ok very soon. Minor side effects for me; dizziness & headaches"

NS51 December 10, 2016

"ON 10-5-16, my teen was given 11 doses of doxy, over 9 days, who has auto immune disease/allergies, IgA deficiency since birth, by school clinic Nurse. 2nd dose of different antibiotic in 30 days, fr unresolved Sinus infection turned bronchitis. Nurse advised, in 10 years of administering, no probs, Never NOT worked. My daughter IS NOT WELL. Side Effects made HER SICKER. I became alarmed when short car ride caused motion sickness, weakness while shopping, all weekend she complained "Mom, something's NOT RIGHT. SOMETHING's WRONG! My body's not right.". Symptoms included: headache, nausea, joint pain in hands, deep sore throat pain, still has congestion in chest, unusual tiredness. I COULDNT GET HER TO STAY AWAKE THIS MORNING!"

CarleeBug's Mom (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2016

"Took entire 1 week cycle. It did nothing for my bronchitis symptoms. Lots of nausea, and I almost never get nauseous. Going back to the doctor to request a chest x-ray. Want to be sure I don't have pneumonia."

Fiasco September 24, 2016

"First time taking it, found out after a week of taking it I'm allergic to it...red ITCHY rash from head to toe. And now I have diarrhea too, ugh."

Anonymous November 12, 2015

"Have never taken this medicine before for Bronchitis. Have had upset stomach, diarrhea, body aches. Have taken w/wo food and no difference in symptoms. Had no relief. I stopped taking and should have taken amoxicillen instead."

TomFh November 8, 2015

"this is my 2nd day of taking it. I do feel a bit better. I noticed some posters speaking about nausea. take this med about 15 minutes after a FULL meal. NEVER on an empty stomach. "

kbharbert July 26, 2015

"I have had what I originally thought might be pneumonia, then decided was bronchitis. My doctor gave me one antibiotic which didn't kill much of 'the bug', so he put me on tetracycline 100mg twice a day. I immediately had some nausea, which I never have. Over the next three days I developed, and still have: esophagitis, dyspepsia (heart burn), diarrhea, unusual headache, noticeable lack of appetite, and new onset lower back pain. In all fairness I have several health issues, but these symptoms that l listed above are new, except for the last two, although this time the rate and severity of these symptoms are different. The drug seems to work well, I have almost always seen good results in my patients, but the side effects suck."

SuperNurseTerry (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2015

"I'm currently on day 4 of 10 taking Doxy twice a day. My doctor thought I had a touch of bronchitis, although I was thinking possible pneumonia. Anyway, I felt better almost immediately after taking the first dose or two, but it's still not the full relief I was hoping for. My cough is just slighly looser and I definitely feel better, but I'm still coughing quite a bit and wheezing. I was prescribed another time a few years ago, and I'm pretty sure I remember it taking a good 8 or 9 days to completely kick in. I'll try to remember to post update in another few days. I'm really HOPING that this kicks in stronger sometime in the next 3-4 days. Tired of coughing."

Bronchitis February 16, 2015

"I used doxycycline hyclate for my bronchitis. It really helped me get better faster, it even got rid of the few zits I had. The downfall is after I was done with my prescription I broke out all over! My face, neck, and chest are all covered in acne or its a rash, I'm not sure... I've never had bumps this bad in my entire life!"

:/ February 4, 2015

"My pulmonary Doctor ordered this (Doxycycline) for me after being treated at home, for a few months and then I was placed in a hospital for 4 days and then in a rehab hospital for 2 weeks. I finally took my first dose of doxycycline and the next day, I knew I was going to get well. I remained in rehab for a total of 30 days with 2 times a day rehab. I know Doxycycline saved my life! I give Doxycyclne a 10. I had NO side effects...all GOOD EFFECTS!"

nilla (taken for less than 1 month) September 5, 2014

"Have been prescribed doxycycline for bronchitis, also have asthma and have been on Prednisone steroids along side the antibiotics. Side effects experienced: Increased urination, Slow urine flow, Severe Kidney Pain, Headaches, Stomach pain, Yeast infection (Male). Out of all the antibiotics ever in my system these have the worst side effects, the chest infection has passed in 5 days."

badger... April 17, 2012

"Very powerful. Works good for the infections but the side effects are cruel. For an hour and a half after I take it I have severe nausea, belching with it coming up, and stomach cramps."

Boo Boo pink July 3, 2011

Vibramycin (doxycycline): "Was prescribed doxycycline hcl for bronchitis. Have been taking for 3 days now and no change in symptoms. I still cough so hard my head throbs so bad I want to pull it off. My daughter was just diagnosed with viral pneumonia in both lobes of her Right lung, so maybe I don't actually have bronchitis."

doesnt like this drug all January 12, 2011