User Reviews for Minocycline

Also known as: Cleeravue-M, Dynacin, Minocin, Minocin for Injection, Minolira, Myrac, Solodyn, Ximino

Learn more about Minocycline.

Rosacea 27 reviews 105 medications

5.5
Rheumatoid Arthritis 3 reviews 346 medications

Summary of Minocycline reviews 392 reviews 6.2

Reviews for Minocycline

For Acne: "My daughter started taking minocycline 3 years ago at 14 for her acne. It worked well enough until she began having severe muscle and joint pain. We had no reason to blame the minocycline. A rheumatologist diagnosed drug-induced lupus. Even after stopping the minocycline, and starting Naproxen for the inflammation , (so bad that she could barely sit down, raise her arms above her head, or even walk) she got worse. An MRI with injected dye revealed severe muscle inflammation, and the Dr has put her on prednisone 40mg for a month, tapering to 30 and eventually off it. The prednisone helped her within hours. It may take a year for her to recover."

Wildflower118 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "After taking this medicine for a few months I still get the occasional acne and it lowered my endurance 5 minutes into the gym I was already short on breath I could barely do any reps definitely hard to work out while taking this medicine."

stevennn October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was prescribed to Mynocycline to treat a skin condition called Confluent and Reticulated Papillomatosis (CARP) & it's results were devastating. I was outside at work 1 day after about 3 weeks of taking Mynocycline and I felt faint. Then a few days later I noticed bumps on my forehead which later spread to my arms & legs. I went to the doctor & they gave me a shot of steroids which made me think it would clear up my skin. Within the next day's the bumps turned into a full blown rash all over my body and my face had swollen up as well. A few days later I got a biopsy done & learned I had developed a condition called Dress syndrome as a result of a severe allergic reaction to Mynocycline. A month after the biospy I'm still recovering with the use of steroids. BEWARE of this drug"

K1221 October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Only thing this medication did was give me horrible headaches."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Took 100mg twice a day for three months. Within a week my acne was completely gone. Acne came back when I finished taking Novo-Minocycline but its much more mild. Started another three months today. My doctor thinks this could be the final shot. Wish me luck!"

stinkyshoesineedaname September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Skin and Structure Infection: "Been on minocyline for 4 days. Worse 4 days ever. Major feelings of depersonalization and out of body feelings. Stopping this medication immediately. I've been taking taking for perioral dermatitis."

CaydiMom (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I am 18 and have had acne for a couple years, after going to the dermatologist a second time I was prescribed Minocycline. I've been taking it for almost two weeks along with a cream. This last week I've had severe headaches, abdominal pain, diarrhea, and nausea. After reading other reviews with the same side effects and this prescription leading to long term issues I would not suggest taking this."

Daniiii September 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I had hormonal acne when I started taking minocycline. I am 25 years old, and a women - if that is relevant to anyone. I was hesitant to start this medication since I read bad reviews on it, but I has no issues with it what so ever! Cleared up my skin in less than a month, and acne did not return since. I stopped taking it after 30 days. I got a couple spots here and there, but nowhere near as bad as I was. The only thing is don't take it right before going to bed because when I did that I would wake up feeling hung over and dizzy. If I took it in the morning or around lunch time, there were absolutely no side effects. If you are hesitating like I was my advice to you is to try it!"

Catsreviews September 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This antibiotic worked wonders for my moderate acne very soon after starting it in November 2016 (in combination with a Tretinoin cream). It consistently prevented my cystic acne from emerging and reduced inflammation, I had virtually no breakouts on my entire face. However, it started to lose effectiveness in July 2017 and by August I was seeing discoloration in my thighs. It was like large bruising that wouldn't heal and it was massively noticeable. I saw that this was a common side effect after buildup of the medication in the system, so I stopped taking it. They've since fully healed. I'm continuing to use a topical cream (now Differin) but it's having virtually no effect on my acne, which is now as bad as before. Back to square one."

Margo1993 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Worked ok for acne. However had nausea and headaches and had to stop taking."

DTom35x (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Sooo I was completely turned away from this prescription for about the first 4-5 weeks. I am 30 years old and I broke out like BAD and was completely miserable! Then between weeks 5-7 my face started clearing up and now I only have a couple pimples. So my advice is give it at least 8 weeks before you give up on this medication!"

Alli7777 September 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "Started taking this medication about 2 months ago and it worked immediately. I usually average about one or two cystic acne breakouts a month along with smaller pimples that pop up here and there, but solodyn has kept my face clear throughout this whole time. The only side effects I've noticed is increased tiredness in the evening and minor migraines, but this is a payoff I'm willing to make for healthy skin!"

terrosaurus (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rosacea: "I am 46 and have had rosacea my whole life, but never had a bad outbreak until recently. I tried other antibiotics (oral and topical) and minocycline was the only one that actually cleared my skin back to normal- even the slight redness on my cheeks is going away. I started taking 100 mg twice a day and noticed a difference in a day re- burning lessened. It took about 5 days for my skin to return to its pre-rosacea state. I will continue using minocycline."

Tliiasiip (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "At 24 after struggling with hormonal chin acne (that flared before period) and occasional breakouts in my t-zone, my derm prescribed 65mg Solodyn, and Retin A in conjunction with a cleansing routine 2x a day using Cerave followed by Simple Smoothing Toner. At first, I did not see much improvement. Then at the one-month mark, all hell broke loose; I broke out like crazy for 2-3 weeks, huge zits in areas of my face that were not previously a problem. I was embarrassed and ready to call it quits, but after reading about it getting worse before it got better, I ordered my refill and decided to give it time. Suddenly, 1.5ish months in, success! No new breakouts (fingers crossed), and I even just started my cycle. Patience is the key w/ Solodyn"

RachelK93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "hey I'm about to be 19 years old next month. but when I turned 18 my acne was horrible . When I was 17 it was just a few bumps here and there. I had bumps all over on both cheeks , forehead, sides of face, and chin. It was gross . Me and my mom tried every product, even proactiv. In April 2017 Mum convinced me to go to the dermatologist. After 2 weeks my face was almost clear, not completely though. I saw drastic changes. You guys should definitely use this product . It changed my life"

paige8981 July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This medication didn't work for me. I've been on it for 3 months so far and 100mg. I haven't seen any results so far."

Marie Dane July 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Minocycline ruined my heath. I took it for two months back in 1999 and have been dealing with repercussions ever since. Within one month of taking it, I lost feeling in parts of my left leg, my feet went numb, I had such painful joint and muscle pain that I could hardly walk. My wrists and hands hurt so bad that I couldn't brush my own teeth (Lupus). I had to get a handicap tag because I could no longer walk more than a few yards. These symptoms lasted for 9 more months. Then lessened after some significant work to fix my gut and liver health (problems caused by the medicine). I've been managing the damage caused by this dangerous drug for the past 19 years, healthy now for the most part but 2 months of mino ruined decades."

Darien619 July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "It took 3 months to see a difference. It worked. It made my skin clearer, but of course I still had some scarring and pimples here and there. 2 years later and now my acne is back like it was before. It progressively got worse since I got off of minocyclin. I was probably on it for 6 months+... oh and I had yeast infections "

Jas32333 July 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I randomly started getting bad acne on my cheeks and chin a year ago, after using epiduo it got a lot better. Recently at 18 I've been seeing some flare ups so my Derm perscribed this antibiotic for me. After just a couple days I was pleased that the drug was preventing any new breakouts (it wasn't really clearing up the existing spots though). I started noticing that I would get extremely dizzy really easily, after a week on this pill I can not stand without feeling like I'm going to throw up and My acne seems WORSE. I will NEVER take Minocycline again!"

Anonymous July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Rosacea: "I have suffered from rosacea for the last few years but only in the last few months has it gotten out of control. My Dr has prescribed Minocycline 100mg twice a day. I have been on this medication now for 3 days and have no results. For anyone who has used this medication when did they start seeing postive signs of improvement? These flare up are really leaving me feeling down and depressed."

Anjtan July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "This medication is incredible. The ONLY side effect I experienced was mild nausea, which after the first week seemed to subside quite a bit. I am currently on 200 mg/day--(two 100mg tabs) Starting out my acne wasn't quite so severe, but I did frequently get cystic acne which was painful (which was why MA Health agreed to cover the cost after my MD petitioned them.) I've been on it for about a week and a half, maybe two weeks, and I've already seen the difference! This is my second time being on this medication--I was prescribed it in 2014, I don't know what the dosage was at the time, but after about 2 or 3 months my skin became totally clear the first time around, and before I started that time, my skin was in much worse condition."

Maria O. (taken for less than 1 month) July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "THIS MEDICATION IS HORRIBLE. After being on it for half a year, it caused me to have a condition called idiopathic intracranial hypertension. It is pretty much an extremely painful and severe build up of pressure in your head (headaches that make you feel like you've been smashed in the head with a hammer), and I had to get a Lumbar Puncture and miss weeks of highschool because I was bedridden. My optic nerves are permanently damaged. Also it did nearly nothing for my acne until I added the birth control pill in addition to the minocycline. I had a terrible experience with minocycline due to this rare side effect, but everyone is different... but if you have chronic headaches for 2 months that worsen and are agonizing go to the doctor!!!!"

amanda1121 June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Minocycline 100mg did work for me. For the very first month, I noticed my skin getting worst, but I decided to give it another month which was right decision. Now after 2 months my skin is clear and I'm quite happy with the results"

ammit June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "I was prescribed this medication for a few months for a minor blemish. After months of taking this medication, I saw no improvement and my skin broke out with painful blemishes on my chest, face and arms then caused a more severe case of folliculitis. I had to start a new medication to fix the problems this one caused."

AandC (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Acne: "Horrible side effects! Just 4 doses and I'm still recovering from this medication. Feeling dizzy/ run down was just the beginning. Symptoms progressed to headache, vomiting, nausea, chest pains, loss of balance, and a general feeling of illness and pain. Not worth it."

ophm6 May 24, 2017