User Reviews for Minocycline

Also known as: Cleeravue-M, Dynacin, Minocin, Minocin for Injection, Myrac, Solodyn, Ximino

Learn more about Minocycline.

Skin and Structure Infection 1 reviews 72 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 6 reviews 161 medications

5.7
Summary of Minocycline reviews 313 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Minocycline

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "In March 2016 I went withmy friend to Rome. Within days my face was covered in acne. I was extremely depressed and self conscious I have never had acne before. I went on 80mg and the first 1-2 months didn't notice changes. After the trial period it cleared up and I've been off for two weeks. I have a few pimples but its basically nothing. I wash my face and use a topical. It worked but unfortunately it does take time. I'm basically 100% clear now minus some blemishes which will go away in time. Stay with it and stay positive."

Joey0 September 26, 2016

For Acne: "I recommend this for people who have tried BC/OTC treatments to no avail. I've had acne all my life and everytime it gets super cystic, painful and covers my entire face I get back on the low dose. This past treatment i started in January with incredibly cystic painful acne on my chin, jaw, cheeks, and forehead. I would describe it as borderline severe acne. By June ALL of my acne was gone (unfortunately because my acne was so severe I am left with scars on my cheeks and chin). The only downside is it gets worse before it gets better and it takes a pretty long time to work."

81232014 September 26, 2016

For Acne: "My daughter started this antibiotic 3 nights ago and although the acne is not gone the inflammation has improved greatly. She is on a very low dose and it does seem to have helped thusfar."

H-boom September 25, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I took Solodyn a few years ago. I was on it for about 2-3 yrs. Like another poster on here said, I didn't have horrible acne like some cases, but it made me uncomfortable, especially as an adult. It did clear my acne (hence the rating of 3 instead of 0). But when I tried to come off of it, OMG!! It became one of those cases. I broke out like I could never imagine. I wouldn't look people in the eye, wouldn't let my husband EVER see me without make up, my self esteem when in the tank. I had to go on Accutane to get off of Solodyn. I did it during the summer (I am a school nurse w/summers off). It was the only time I could go off Solodyn for the 2 weeks I had to, to go on Accutane."

rntracy (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 24, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I always thought I had "severe" acne at varying points in my life, with seemingly no remedy in sight. I just decided to go to a dermatologist. I was informed (which I already knew from seeing others in my life with much worse conditions) that my acne was "less severe" or "mild" in comparison from a doctor's perspective. All of you out there know this doesn't matter because if it's bad to you, then it's bad enough! I go on to explain how I've "tried it all" or listen to recommendations of others that have great skin, and I still find that nothing works. The dermatologist recommended Solodyn. I was weary of getting any potential "side effects" as anyone would, but I must say, it worked! Everyone responds diff, but you won't know until you try"

SteveDL September 16, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Multiple severe side effects, including severe fatigue, diarrhea, muscle pain, confusion and anxiety. Do your research! This is a dangerous drug. Took only four doses before I ended up in the ER. I am still recovering four days later and don't know how long it will take for a full recovery. Use only as a last resort, e.g., NOTHING else will work and you're close to death. ....and even then think twice. Not kidding. ...side effects are absolutely terrible."

StevenG64 September 16, 2016

For Acne: "I was on 100mg for 6 months worked great my skin was clear I was happy, my dr wanted to try taking me off it slowly so I went down to 50 mg every other day, after a few weeks my skin started to break out again I became stressed cuz I am unhappy, I am on 50mg everyday now to see how it goes, im 32 I don't want to stay on this forever, I want to have a baby soon, I hope this goes away doctor say's it's hormonal. I still have active zits on my skin but I will continue taking 50 mg every day and hope it helps clear an di hope 1 day I will ahev my skin clear again , this started to happy to me in my mid 20's after getting off birth control, prior to that, my skin was so clear it glowed.Good luck to everyone and never give up."

Anita-TOR (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 15, 2016

For Acne: "Be attentive to your body and take note of any side effects. I've been on this for 2 weeks and had to stop because of debilitating headaches, blurry vision and neck/back pain which could have led to a worse condition. Yes it was working, but it wasn't worth the side effects"

shylaaaaaaaa September 13, 2016

For Acne: "I am currently taking/using:Minocycline, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Clindamycin Phosphate Benzoyl Peroxide gel, & Tretinoin cream. At first I was using the Tretinoin cream incorrectly so I saw negative results until I realized that the Tretinoin cream is supposed to be taken every third night then tapered to every night slowly. My face started peeling on either side of my chin that were raw. Now I know better so I've let my face heal and am going to restart the medication. I did however want to say that my face is clearer and smoother than its been in awhile. My makeup applies better and now I can go out in public without makeup again like I did before my acne problems started. Everyone's face is different so just keep that in mind!"

DearWatson13 (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "For those of you with Acne and suffering mild to moderate acne like me. I dont have severe acne and like red big ones filled with puss or anything but I have like some along my jawline and next to my lips and this medicine along with onexton and retin A micro and the inflammation has really gone down like a lot! Its working great and its only been 1 week and 2 days. I cant imagine what its going to be like in 2 weeks. Staying positive. Hope this works."

Dannyed September 8, 2016

For Acne: "Started taking this medication for under the skin cystic acne (1-2 would pop up pretty consistently). As soon as one would go l I would have another one! I had been prescribed bezoyl peroxide clindimyacin cream, used proactive, still would get it.... Finally talked to a new doctor who prescribed this 50 mg 2x/ day. I am 1 month in and no new acne! I am very prone to yeast infections, but really have not had a problem with that.... Yet. I also started taking an anti depressant at the same time so I am not sure which one I can assign side effects to, but was waking up in the middle of the night a little restless/anxious and had a little dry mouth. These symptoms lasted about a two weeks and now I am back to normal with clear skin!"

HscNe September 4, 2016

For Acne: "I've been suffering from acne since i was 12. At age 28 I would have thought it would diminished. No such luck. My biggest problems were blackheads that continuously popped up on the sides of my face and moderate blemishes that emerged. A breakout would start and take months to heal. The blackheads NEVER went away though. I tried everything over the counter even splurged on really expensive products. Nothing ever worked and I finally went to the NP who prescribed me this. I have to admit my expectations were low considering the mediocre reviews. I am now a month in and my skin has changed DRASTICALLY. My once never healing & constantly occurring blackheads are now 80% gone. Very few blemishes compared to before. This has changed my life!"

lady28 August 27, 2016

For Acne: "My nurse practitioner prescribed this for me for acne after I stopped using proactiv and my acne was the worst it had been in my life. It did help clear up my acne but I took these pills 2 times a day for over a year.... It did help my acne fairly well but I still broke out. The big problem I had though was the monthly yeast infections. I went back to my NP at least 5 times and the times in between I just paid the $18 for over the counter meds for the infections. She gave me a couple different types of yeast infection meds and did tests each time to make sure it was a normal yeast infection but every month it would come back. I still suffer from them and its been 8 months off of that med."

awchristmaslover August 24, 2016

For Acne: "Please DO NOT take Minocycline for any condition! I took it for 3 days for acne and I had an allergic reaction to it that was close to anaphylactic shock. It has been a month and a half since I stopped taking it and it has left me with severe anxiety and random paranoia, this has been such a difficult time for me. It's gotten so bad that I can't even go to work or school without having panic attacks. PICK ANOTHER DRUG"

Nick2110 August 22, 2016

For Acne: "Cleared up my acne within the first month of use. I had no bad side effects but I did have to go on a probiotic. Only problem is that now that I'm off of it I can already see new pimples coming off and I have had more active pimples since being off of it."

Jkptr (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2016

For Acne: "I developed cystic acne, I'm guessing as a result of hormones, stress, and genetics. My doctor and I changed what we were using during the second visit, since we were doing some trial and error (figuring out what works). Since my skin is not sensitive, we went from a combination of doxycycline, tretinoin, and clyndimicine (idk how to spell it) to a combination of tretinoin of higher strength, erythromycin/BP gel, and minocycline. My skin has cleared up in a matter of 2 months with the occasional pimples and some acne scarring."

Sabrina L (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "when I was 14 years old and have been getting acne for a little under a year, so when my dermatologist recommended solodyn, I was very pleased, but being on this medication for less than a week, I have to say I would not recommend it. The joint pain I got in my knee was unbearable, and it also gave me random anxiety attacks, as well as mild depression. Very disappointed:("

lilyvo August 14, 2016

For Acne: "Yup, this is it! First week taking it & already clearing my face. No new acne and it feel's awesome that I no longer have to worry about picking on my face. I strongly recommend people to try & also buy retalift cream for caring of the skin. I take plenty of veggies throughout the day so that helps. But this antibiotic is worth taking. It's normal to feel a bit dizzy at first but it's all in your head. I heard anxiety? Well, I control my anxiety with positive thought's & exercises. I highly recommended this for people who are prone to greasy face. The pore's are clogged & because cystic acne is not a normal pimple it's crazy to even imagine all the inflammation & pain it can cause!"

Brendy_1 August 6, 2016

For Acne: "Broke out with hives and itching do not take this medication"

Demetrius August 4, 2016

For Acne: "I took minocycline 100 mg for over 6 months then my Doctor put me down to 50mg every other day, when I was on 100 mg once a day it was great skin was so nice clear and smooth, now the 50mg every other day not that greatest, I also use a topical cream he *benzycline* or something like that, I started to break out again my skin is not smooth I know stress is a huge factor on breaking out but I don't what to do, I am going back to my Doctor to see what he suggest I am 32 years old and I want to be off this medication I want to start trying to kids soon so I don't want be on this I just want my zits gone for good.. I am starting to get a few on cheeks and around the chin area so frustrating and depressing. anyone have any suggestions?"

apl1984 August 4, 2016

For Acne: "This medication doesn't do anything. It only made my skin worse. I've been on it for three months and my skin looks awful. I don't let anyone see me with out makeup because I'm just too embarrassed. I haven't had any side effects but my skin looks Terrible. I'm also using a prescription cream and face wash and nothing's happening. I was told it could look worse at first but then get better but it's just getting worse and worse. Find something else to use."

Via526 July 30, 2016

For Acne: "Please DO not use minocycline for acne. This drug caused me to contract psuedotumor cerebri (a pretty serious brain condition) I had been on my dosage of 100mg x2 per day for about a month. About two weeks in I began to have horrible headaches, which persisted throughout the whole day. One night the headache became so unbareable I needed to go into the ER. I was diagnosed with an intractable headache and send home after a few IV bags. My headaches persisted but I ignored them and thought possibly the heat was causing them. About 2 weeks after my first visit I began to have double vision. I called my doctor and they order a MRI immediately. The MRI showed a build up of pressure on my optic nerve, caused by minocycline."

Annikah July 22, 2016

For Acne: "I was on this drug for 8 weeks and it totally wrecked my skin, three days after getting off my skin cleared up. Sad because the reviews had my hopes up!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 21, 2016

For Rosacea: "As I live in Australia minocycline is cheap - it only costs $10 for 60 pills. I was diagnosed with papulopustular rosacea by a dermatologist. I'd always had a slight redness on the cheeks and slight redness under the skin of my nose but over a 6 week period many tiny pustules emerged and the redness got worse. Went to a dermatologist and he gave me the diagnosis and prescribed Soolantra indicating that it would take weeks/months to work. I didn't want to wait that long so I did extensive research on the internet and made the decision to ignore him and go to a GP and go on Minocycline 2 days later. Best decision I ever made. The Minocycline at 50mg a day made the pustules go away in only 2 weeks and the redness has significantly decreased."

OzTracey (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I was put on Solodyn on Thursday ..And given a tazarac cream and face wipe . I use the wipe in every morning . I use the tazorac cream at night with a neutrogena moisturizer and I mix it and rub it on my face . I do this at night . I first wash my face tho than apply medicine and moisturizer. ... Today is now Sunday and I noticed my face has made ally of improvement . I statedwhat I had been instructed . If seems like I'm doing it correctly because my face is much more clear. However it's been 4 days and I noticed feelings a bit strange . I have a headache . I'm not at good at having headaches . I'm wondering if my headaches are link to this meds .... I haven't noticed anything else besides headaches"

Angel1115 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016