User Reviews for Minocycline

Also known as: Minocin, Solodyn, Dynacin, Minocin for Injection, Cleeravue-M, Minolira, Ximino, Myrac

Rosacea

Bacterial Infection
4.8

Summary of Minocycline reviews 6.3 461 reviews

Reviews for Minocycline

For Acne: "After two weeks of taking this minocycline I developed horrendously itchy hives ALL over my body. I was so high on benadryl for a solid week because the itching was unbelievable. There are other ways to cure acne. DO NOT take this drug I was previously not allergic to anything but this."

paige June 4, 2019

For Acne: "I've suffered severe folliculitis on my buttocks for 6 months and it was really starting to take a toll on my mental state plus it was extremely painful to even wear tight/hugging clothes! I tried everything to get rid of it but nothing was working. After seeing a dermatologist, they prescribed me 100mg Minocycline to take twice a day, after 2 weeks my condition has almost completely cleared up. Unfortunately, the effects of alcohol are too severe (learnt the hard way) so being on this long term won't be ideal for me. I would recommend this to anyone who is at a dead end as the results were totally worth it for me. I just hope it doesn't come back as severe when I stop taking it."

BUD June 3, 2019

For Acne: "I was prescribed 100mg twice a day for painful cystic acne and I feel like I was drugged in a bad way and then hit by a school bus. My dermatologist warned me about gut effects and therefore told me to take it with a probiotic, but said nothing of extreme fatigue. My face is numb, speech is slightly slurred, and even walking is taxing after 3 days on this medication."

TeresaR (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2019

For Acne: "This is my third time going on minocycline so I have a lot of experience with the medication. My dermatologist will prescribe this for a few months at a time as a quick fix when my acne is flaring up (post-Accutane). Minocycline is always a breath of relief for me; I just started back on it 2 weeks ago and my skin is already so clear. My college graduation is in a week so I was really trying to clear up the flare up of acne I had before that day, and this does the trick. I am also on tazorac cream, so this is paired with that for a temporary fix. My skin has gotten so remarkably clear with this medication, and trust me I've tried so many other prescriptions, OTC topicals, subscription kits, etc. For me, this works like nothing else. I have never experienced a single adverse side effect from minocycline, but I don't love being on an antibiotic so often so this is not a good long-term solution. That's the only reason I don't give 10/10."

Rose May 10, 2019

For Acne: "DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION. I was prescribed minocycline by my dermatologist for my acne and I had a horrible life threatening reaction. I went into anaphylactic shock (the first reaction to anything I've ever had in my life), fell and hit my head, and nearly died in the ambulance and would have if my parents hadn't call when they did. I was pretty much lifeless two months after from all of the medication and steroids I was put on after to get healthy again. There are so many other options for acne, do not do this to yourself unless you want to die and wake up with new hives and swelling body parts for weeks."

Tm99 (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2019

For Acne: "Of no use!! My acne came back after I stopped having minocycline after 4 months of use. Also, it darkened my skin tone."

Harneet (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 5, 2019

For Acne: "I got put on minocycline about a year and a half ago for moderate/severe acne on my face. I was on it for 3 months and it worked AMAZING!!! I was soooo happy with my skin and it brought my confidence up to a whole new level. About six months after I got off I was constantly sick, developed a horrible rash on my face, and had no energy. I went to several different doctors and after months of blood work and tests I was finally diagnosed with drug induced lupus. I developed this because of the minocycline and in my opinion, it wasn’t worth it. The confidence that I gained with minocycline was quickly brought down because of the rash which made my whole face scaly and red. It’s been a year and a half since and I still get sick very often and the rash comes back around my eyes when this happens. Although my experience was awful, I wouldn’t discourage anyone from trying minocycline because of how rare this side effect actually is."

ash (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2019

For Rosacea: "I was prescribed minocycline for ocular rosacea in 2014. I was taking 100mg daily right up to Jan 2019. My skin was turning blackish grey on the forearms, shins, forehead, and neck. My ears also were ringing continuously. I learned that these are side effects of long term use of minocycline. I have stopped taking the drug and discoloration of my skin is only now beginning to clear up and the ear ringing is lessening. Cleared up the rosacea but caused additional problems. Be careful with this drug."

Yukon (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 29, 2019

For Acne: "Minocycline is an amazing medication cleared my acne completely after 1 1/2 months regular use. I experienced severe acne throughout my entire face, and cystic acne deep below my skin on the bottom of my face that was very painful throughout my entire teen years. After trying several face washes, scrubs, gels, and face masks as well as drinking lots of water, nothing happened so I decided to go to my doctor for help. He prescribed minocycline at 100mg once a day, and my acne completely vanished after a month and a half. Before and after pictures are amazing. This medication saved my self confidence and also saved me from having to deal with painful cystic acne!"

h572828 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 24, 2019

For Acne: "I had mild acne and my doctor put me on minocycline for about 3 months took a few weeks for it to start working but once it did it worked very well still get some acne every once in a while. There was a few days I forgot to take it and I can totally tell on my face that I forgot some of my acne would come back but it wasn't to bad and once I started taking it again it all cleared up. I recommend taking minocycline."

Tyler M March 18, 2019

Dynacin (minocycline) for Rosacea: "I had rosacea for six years. It was debilitating. I was in severe depression from it. I tried everything. Then I went to a skin doctor who told me I had the worst case of rosacea that he’d ever seen. I hated him for saying that but he prescribed Dynacin and within 3 days the rosacea was gone. I did not want to stay on antibiotics so I only took it for 30 days. My skin stayed clear for about a year when I had a small flare up and I took another 30 day dose. I have not taken it again. My skin has remained clear and it has been 15 years now. I had no side effects."

XO77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2019

For Acne: "Welp I took minocycline for 4 months and developed 2 infections. My acne also came back after stopping. I do not recommend!"

null February 10, 2019

For Acne: "DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG. My doctor put me on it for acne and for the first two days it wasn’t bad. Then I woke up with an allergic reaction all over my face that put me in the hospital. I was having horrible diarrhea and nausea and was even dizzy to the point where I couldn’t stand. This went on for three days straight and continued for three more after I stopped the medication. My dermatologist didn’t warn me how bad these side effects were and made me feel crazy when I told him about them, he even suggested taking it again to try to see if I will get “used to it.” I don’t recommend this medication to anyone, it’s dangerous and scary."

Lo (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2019

For Acne: "I’ve been taking minocycline for 3 weeks and didn’t start seeing results until the 2nd week so it was going well for my acne. But then 3 days ago I stared to get hives all over my body in different areas, I didn’t really think it was the medication and didn’t wanna believe it was because it was helping. But it is the minocycline I started to read more about this medication and hives are a COMMEN side effect and I’m not the only one. I started reading other people reviews and they also experience the same. I am never taking this medication again made a docs appointment to get prescription a new medication !"

Lillianmarie (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2019

For Rosacea: "At 52, I had terrible rosacea, from day to night. I tried creams and lotions but they were useless. I went to the dermatologist who has prescribed me Minocin 100 mg x 10 days .... All my rosacea is in the past!!!! At the first signs of it return I take a course and solve it. Thanks Minocin."

Pierom42 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2019

For Acne: "This medication worked wonders on my severe acne. I had extremely infected and inflamed pores all across my face and after 2 weeks I saw results. After 2 months my skin was perfectly clear. I used this by itself, discontinued use, then used it again with a retinoid gel (tretinoin) and daily face washing. I personally never noticed any side effects, and I was surprised to see so many people had negative effects with it. I stopped using it after 4 months because my doctor explained that it shouldn’t be used long-term. I continued using the retinoid gel, but once I ran out, I just continued to wash my face and try natural things like witch hazel and tea tree oil. It worked for a while, but after a few weeks I had to get back on minocycline. Now I’m still currently using it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2019

For Acne: "I began taking this medication to treat my mild acne. It worked for awhile and I always felt tired but it never seemed to really be a problem because I continued to be active. Fast forward two years, I had caught a virus and my immune system was in full collapse. I had to be put into the hospital because my white blood count and platelet level was extremely low. They couldn’t figure it out for days and then it was found that the minocycline had been attacking my immune system. It just wasn’t prevalent because I never got sick, once I got off of it my health began to get better and I am well again. I would not recommend!!"

scary (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 17, 2018

For Acne: "Was going to start my akamin 50mg (minocycline) twice a day tomorrow after taking doxycycline which didn't improve my skin. Hope the akamin work well on me :)"

Pj December 13, 2018

For Acne: "I was prescribed minocycline after taking many doses of doxycycline. I would have to say that it worked to keep more acne from forming, but it didn’t really get rid of it. I have now built up an immunity to it after 6 months and it is not effective. I was often times dizzy and am generally more tired from this drug, but those side effects are doable. I was now prescribed Bactrim and hope to see results."

joelow (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 16, 2018

For Acne: "My son took one dose and had an instant allergic reaction. He is 17 and has had zero allergies to medicine previously. He broke out in hives all over his body, shortness of breath, tight chest, swollen-red-itchy eyes and coughed within in 20 minutes of taking this medicine. Needless to say he did not have the opportunity to see if it helped him. I have since read up a bit more on this medicine and there appears to be many who have reactions from it. I would be aware."

a mom (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2018

For Acne: "I’ve only been on this medication for a week, and let me tell you, it’s been hell. On the plus side, my acne has already improved which is wonderful. The downside? Migraine headaches, stomach cramps, EXTREME fatigue. I’m so sleepy all the time, so it’s hard to get anything done. I’ve started taking this at night to try to reduce the noticeable side effects but they’re still pretty prevalent the first few hours I’m awake. I wouldn’t recommend this unless you have severe acne that won’t respond to anything else because the side effects are no joke."

savvybrina (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2018

For Acne: "If this did anything for my acne, it was not very noticeable."

George (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2018

For Acne: "This was prescribed to me to help treat my hormonal acne. Started feeling dizzy and after almost two weeks I broke out into itchy hives all over my body. Very bad experience"

Jerry (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2018

For Acne: "I tried this drug last year to help with very mild acne , I am talking like maybe 6-7 pimples . I took it thinking it was going to help and within 10 days my face exploded to nothing I have ever seen in my life . I did not have a clear spot of my face . I was very depressed as I got bullied immensely and my face continued to worsen over the next month. I was getting pimples in places I have never had them . After about a month it VERY slowly started to clear up. I started birth control to hurry the process . The scars that were left on my skin were not worth it , neither was the emotional toll it took. That was the worst acne I have ever seen in my life . I DO NOT RECOMMEND !!!"

charks (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2018

For Rosacea: "At 46 years old rosacea started .... At first bland but then after 2 years pustules and swollen nose: a monster! The minocin helped me. As pustules appear I take it for a week and everything passes. Zero side effects, thanks Minocin."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2018