User Reviews for Minocycline

Also known as: Cleeravue-M, Dynacin, Minocin, Minocin for Injection, Minolira, Myrac, Solodyn, Ximino

Rosacea

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection
5.1

Summary of Minocycline reviews 6.5 416 reviews

Reviews for Minocycline

For Acne: "I took minocycline a while back when I was around 18 years old. I was on a minocycline cycle for about a year, taking two pills a day. My skin cleared up completely after around 2 months of taking this antibiotic, my scars were fading as well since I was also applying Isotretinoin (topical treatment) on my skin. All of this came at a VERY high cost which in my opinion is not worth it. The whole time I was taking Minocycline I experienced lightheadedness (to the point where I would loose balance sometimes), blurry vision, dizziness, my memory started failing and I would feel tired all the time, after about a year of taking Minocycline I decided to stop the treatment. After I stopped taking Minocycline, my skin remained clear for about 2 weeks, after that my acne came back worse and I got new scars caused by cystic acne. MINOCYCLINE WILL NOT CURE YOUR ACNE, it will just "hide it" while you are in treatment but as soon as you stop taking it, it will all come back."

27Dani June 10, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "Originally diagnosed as having severe, aggressive RA, I was put on Methotrexate for a year. I hated the way it made me feel, and I freaked when she wanted to put me either biologics or Plaquenil. I found the Antibiotic Protocol Therapy for Minocycline on the Road Back Foundation, and convinced my GP to allow me to go onto it. In 10 months I was RA-related pain and deformity free and in 2 1/2 years I found a new Rheumatologist that did not believe that I really did have severe, aggressive RA - it is that good. You have to start slowly or you may suffer from a Herxheimer reaction, but I have enjoyed this time without the worst of the RA symptoms. YAY!"

Carol (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2018

For Acne: "I've been on this medication for 3 months. For the first few weeks I had nausea and headaches, but that got better. However, ever since being on the pills I've felt like I've had very low energy. It seemed to help my acne at first but 3 months in and I still have acne all over my forehead. It will clear up one week and then I'll have new breakouts the next. The only positive is that all my pimples have been really small and painless, I don't get large inflamed painful pimples anymore. However my forehead is normally covered in these tiny red dots and it really hasn't cleared up my skin."

ali (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 25, 2018

For Acne: "I have been dealing with acne for 3 months and was getting two to three new zits every week, some were really big ones that wont go away. I came to my doctor and was prescribed this medication minocycline 50g twice a day and I did see positive results after roughly taking it for 2 weeks but man the side effects were not comfortable. After 10 days I started getting sore muscles on my shoulder and neck, headache, lightheadedness, feeling sick and coughing. I decided to stop it because I can't deal with these side effects and worried that it might get worse. However, it did help with my acne as I only had 2 new zits after taking it with the help of an acne cream that a friend gave me. For me it’s not worth the pain to have clearer skin. I will probably go to a dermatologist to opt for a cream instead for an oral medication."

Grace (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2018

Minocin (minocycline) for Rosacea: "I suffered for years with Rosacea before seeking treatment. After finally seeking help I was prescribed Minocin. One course completely cleared up the problem and 18 years on I haven’t any further breakouts."

Daydreamer (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2018

For Acne: "Hi all, I went on the acne cream for 2 months it was amazing, however, it wasn't safe to use for a long period of time so I had to get off it. I had clear skin with an occasional pimple here and there. I went on a low dosage of some other acne pill, terrible didn't work. So my doctor recommended the minomycin pill. I have never been so itchy in my life. I have broken out in hives all over my body and a rash all red and itchy. i think I am allergic to it and I have side effects of dizziness and lightheadedness. I have felt uneasy and nausea. Definitely not worth the pain. Before this, I had a few to zero acne on my forehead and soon broke out in massive, painful zits, acne in places like my cheeks and T section where I haven't had in a while. Take this at your own risk! Good luck to those on it and I hope it works for you!!"

Helen cristis (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

For Acne: "Don't take it! I only consumed one or two tablets max and ended up in the hospital and later found out it resulted in me having an autoimmune disease. I now have extreme eczema and psoriasis all over my body that hasn't gone away in 3 years, which was when I first took it."

name (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2018

For Acne: "I actually just started taking this prescription today and I was reading up on how long it would take for my face to heal. I got a pretty good understanding. My face is broke out so bad that it hurts to move or touch my face. When I fall asleep at night and wake up like 20 times throughout the night because my face hurts so bad. I'm really hoping this works because I am tired of my face looking like this - of feeling so insecure about myself!"

Anonymous March 1, 2018

For Acne: "Hey guys, I've been taking minocycline for 4 weeks now. I started to have really bad acne breakouts about a year ago, I tried literally everything, but only these pills helped. My acne completely gone, no new breakouts, my skin cleared down very nicely. I need to take for another 4 weeks, then will see what my dermatologist says. I am very happy with these pills, and I didn't notice any side effects. Good luck to all with this medicine!"

Noemieee February 20, 2018

For Acne: "So I used it for back acne and after a month it seemed to be slowly improving then suddenly I got tonnes of acne on my face (which I have never had before) but my doctor says that I need to continue taking it otherwise it'll just be worse. I regret so much. Don't take this, please try and see a dermatologist first and assess better options."

here_to_help1 February 12, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: "RA diagnosed a year and I experienced pain in my fingers (some have hard knots), toes, shoulder, hip, & right side of abdomen. My rheumatologist started me out on Celebrex first & then methotrexate. Had to stop both. So what happened next was I stumbled upon Minocin as a relief from RA. I had what I thought to be a small whitehead on my eyelid that was hard & wouldn’t go away. I went to the dermatologist & was prescribed the Minocin 100 mg one every 12 hours. It healed. Around 2 weeks I noticed “I’m not hurting”. A few more days & still feeling good. Finally I decided that the only change I had made was taking the Minocin. No nausea and no widespread pain. I do have pain in my fingers but it is manageable. I googled it and read there has been success with tetracyclines but a relatively small amount of sufferers. I’m must be one and couldn’t be happier. Meanwhile I’m enjoying all the “todays.”"

Nikki35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2018

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "Solodyn worked amazingly. BUT, on day three I experienced tiredness in my body physically. The day after I stopped taking it (day four) I was experiencing joint pains that weren’t pleasant. I thought this would be safer than Accutane but it has some of the same side affects Accutane has. I don’t want to risk my health for clear skin. But remember everyone reacts differently. You could multiple side affects or none. Solodyn could work for you or if couldn’t. But if you ever do take it don’t take it longer than three months and every day notice if you are showing any side affects. You are beautiful with or without acne. Don’t let your skin define you. Don’t let it rule over you life. You decide how acne affects your life."

Emily77 January 24, 2018

For Acne: "I took Minocycline for exactly 15 days. At first, I only got intense headaches. After taking the pills for 10 days I told my mom that the pills made me feel uncomfortable (I had severe headaches and stomach) pain .My mom suggested that I should keep taking them. December 31, I noticed my hands swelling up. I put ice on it yet it stayed the same. On New Years, my neck, wrist, knees, elbows, and shoulders were swollen and red. I went to the hospital and they gave me a shot of Benadryl. It worked for a few hours yet on January 2 I got more hives and swelling. I bought liquid Benadryl and I take it every 4-6 hours. Today is January 3 and I still have hives and swelling. The Minocycline didn’t even help my acne it made it worse."

AmiyahM (taken for less than 1 month) January 3, 2018

For Acne: "DO NOT TAKE. I ALMOST WENT BLIND. I was taking this medication for acne, and my doctor decided to double the dosage. About 4 days after that, I got the worst headache pain in my entire life and saw a doctor. He diagnosed me with Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH)/Pseudotumor Cerebri caused by minocycline, and ordered for me to have an MRI and MRV. Next, I had a LP (spinal tap) that said the pressure in my head was 57, when the normal pressure is anywhere from 10-15. At this point I could not see at all, and for risk of becoming permanently blind at such a young age (I am only 18) I was rushed into surgery and had a LP Shunt placed. I will forever have a tube in my spine that connects to my abdomen. Currently, half of my vision is forever gone, and my life is changed now."

Callie W. (taken for less than 1 month) December 29, 2017

For Acne: "This drug works good. I also can't drink soda, coffee and now I eat no spicy food or tomatoes. I have to use vanicream soap, and clear and free shampoo. Good luck everybody."

jasoncman December 22, 2017

For Acne: "I have had acne ever since I was in 4th grade. By the time I was in 5th grade it was deep, cystic acne all over my forehead. I was prescribed epiduo and continue to use that today, although now I use epiduo forte (stronger cream). My acne finally cleared up at around 8th grade and I was so happy with my skin, especially since I was only using the cream. My freshman year of high school was wonderful, I had virtually no break outs. But then I started to get cystic again, only this time on my cheeks not on my forehead. I was prescribed minocycline and took that for about 3 months. After getting off of that my acne came completely back to the way it was and didn’t help hardly at all on my cheeks, just my forehead."

Samantha B December 13, 2017

For Acne: "I had severe cystic acne all over my face when I was in middle school. I began taking this product, 100mg twice a day, and my skin cleared other than scars. I stopped the medicine in college as I felt I did not need it anymore. At 27, my cystic acne returned worse than it’s ever been. I went to the doctor’s and they prescribed the same dosage again. When I originally took it I had no side effects other than you get nauseous if you don’t take it with food. Fingers crossed it works for me again."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2017

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "Was prescribed this last week, all was going well I noticed my skin was clearing up real nice. THEN I all of a sudden had an allergic reaction to it and have now since broken out in a rash that resembles immature chicken Pox all over my face/neck and now its going further down on to my chest. It feels drier than my skin has ever felt. For the record I have oily skin so when I say my face felt ridiculiously dry I mean it was insane. I look like I have chicken pox. This is awful."

Breezyyyy December 7, 2017

For Acne: "I’ve been on Akamin (the Australian brand of minocycline) for just over two weeks now. The first week that I was on it, my acne was the worst it’s ever been but I knew it would likely get worse before it got better. I’m now two and a half weeks in and my skin is completely clear. Definitely recommend speaking to your doctor or dermatologist about getting a prescription if you have trouble with acne."

J1289 November 28, 2017

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I am 18 years old and I have been on Solodyn 55mg for three months now and my acne has only gotten worse. I had minimal breakouts on just my forehead and it honestly wasn't the worst, but I wanted it to be gone. My derm prescribed me with this medication for two months and after three weeks of taking the pill I started getting giant cysts on my jawline and cheeks. It is truly awful and I feel as if it is a waste of money and effort."

This really sucks November 19, 2017

For Rosacea: "I have a history of Mixed Connective Tissue Disease and was recently prescribed Minocycline for Rosacea. After taking the med for 2 1/2 weeks I awakened with intense itching of my head, face, and scattered rash on my body. I stopped taking the Minocycline immediately and contacted my physician. It has been over 6 weeks and I am still experiencing intermittent rash on my stomach, thighs, back and also had one episode of bumps on the back of my tongue. But the most aggravating is constant redness, itching, and burning of my face. My physician told me to just keep taking Claritin and Benadryl if needed. I'm not sure how long this will last. But no more Minocycline for me."

Jandan (taken for less than 1 month) November 17, 2017

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I'm 18 years old and I've had horrible red inflamed acne since I was 14. My derm has put me on every topical cream he could think of and I was on Minocycline for six months I believe and at first my skin was the worst its ever been but then it was flawless due to the pill and my birth control. I stopped taking minocycline because my acne cleared up. I just recently started breaking out again so he put me on solodyn and its only been a week and my acne is worse than it ever was before taking oral prescriptions and even worse than my skin at its worst while on minocycline. I'm hoping that it'll have the same effect and clear my skin completely but right now its hopeless."

sad:( November 15, 2017

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Made me sick on my stomach, very dizzy and felt it made my kidneys hurt !"

Anonymous October 24, 2017

For Acne: "My daughter started taking minocycline 3 years ago at 14 for her acne. It worked well enough until she began having severe muscle and joint pain. We had no reason to blame the minocycline. A rheumatologist diagnosed drug-induced lupus. Even after stopping the minocycline, and starting Naproxen for the inflammation , (so bad that she could barely sit down, raise her arms above her head, or even walk) she got worse. An MRI with injected dye revealed severe muscle inflammation, and the Dr has put her on prednisone 40mg for a month, tapering to 30 and eventually off it. The prednisone helped her within hours. It may take a year for her to recover."

Wildflower118 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2017

For Acne: "After taking this medicine for a few months I still get the occasional acne and it lowered my endurance 5 minutes into the gym I was already short on breath I could barely do any reps definitely hard to work out while taking this medicine."

stevennn October 13, 2017