User Reviews for Minocycline

Also known as: Cleeravue-M, Dynacin, Minocin, Minocin for Injection, Myrac, Solodyn, Ximino

Learn more about Minocycline.

Skin and Structure Infection 1 reviews 72 medications

Skin or Soft Tissue Infection 6 reviews 161 medications

5.7
Summary of Minocycline reviews 345 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Minocycline

For Acne: "I have been on this medication for almost 2 months now and I am still not seeing any improvement at all. I take it twice a day (100 mg) and I wash my face twice a day - clindamycin phosphate gel in the morning and adapalene gel at night. I have seen slight improvement as in my cystic acne has gone away but I still have SO MANY blackheads. The side effects are not worth it - my stomach hasn't been right since I've been taking it, I've had an awful rash on my neck, my hair is falling out, and it's only gotten rid of the severe acne. Would not recommend."

catherine147 January 8, 2017

For Acne: "I LOVE THIS MEDICINE. I'm 19, with severe cystic acne all over my cheeks, chest, nose, and forehead. I use to have major scarring around my mouth and on my cheeks, and I never thought that it would go away. 1 month in, ALL of my acne and ALL of my scarring was gone. A lot of people said that they seem to have problems with it, so I remind you that it IS and antibiotic, and with that being said you MUST remember to take it, and not miss any pills. The gap is what will cause side effects, and you need to take the pills for the time that your doctor prescribed you. Don't just stop. My dermatologist also prescribed Onexton, and Retin-A .08%, which were topical creams. I think the three all together made it much more effective."

Anonymous January 4, 2017

For Acne: "I just got prescribed these pills today. Took 100mg an hour after eating. 1 hour later I'm really tired. And I've been reading some pretty scary reviews. I was on doxycycline 100mg. I'm 38. I'm talking my doctor tomorrow to get put back on doxy"

Lexus45 January 4, 2017

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I'm 15 years old and I've been taking solodyn 55 mg for about a month now in addition to birth control which my dermatologist prescribed. I haven't been seeing any improvement yet and I am still continuing to get terrible breakouts."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2017

For Rosacea: "After two weeks my face looks flawless. Hope it lasts. Twice a day 50mg. Supposed to take it for one month."

Dartzy (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I was on Solodyn for 5 years. I am now 19 years old and just quit about 8 months ago. It made my skin FLAWLESS and got compliments all the time. Never any noticeable side affects, although I did quit because I was afraid it was killing my liver and being on an antibiotic for that long is dangerous. Also, the last 6 months I noticed my breakouts were no longer controlled, as if my body was becoming immune to the drug. Now being off it my skin is worse than ever with many, many cysts. Going back to the derm to hopefully find something else that perhaps is not as hurtful to the body (I can dream lol), overall a great experience with it, it just made me sick thinking of what it was damaging internally to my body. Best of luck!"

Mjj17 December 18, 2016

For Acne: "I love this medication. I'm seventeen and I have been taking this on and off since I was about sixteen. I do not have cystic acne, just a whole lot of pimples a whole lot of the time. I also have pimple popping and scab picking problem that prevented me from ever leaving my skin alone. I was so embarrassed of my constantly inflamed skin, and hundreds (yes, hundreds) of scars that I would hide in my room instead of going out to anywhere, even school. It took roughly two months for my skin to improve drastically but boy did it clear up then. After about six months everything about me had improved. My appetite was decreased causing me to not eat as much, my pimples, non existent, and my dark spots disappeared. I was thin, AND had perfect skin."

Don't Knock it Till you Try it (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 16, 2016

For Acne: "Hi my name is Kaitlyn So I've been using minocycline for four years now and just recently stopped this medicine. My face used to be super bad to the point my whole face was red but when I started using minocycline things started to change for me! My face actually looks good now and what's even better is it cleared up right on time I'm now a Sophomore in High School and things couldn't be better!!! The downside to using it my face started to grow bumps on my face at first I thought it was just acne?! It wasn't!! I saw my dermatologist and they said I shouldn't of been on it for so long and now I switched to Doxycycline, and Adapalene for my bumps on my nose from where I was using Minocycline so long. I just wanted to share my experience "

Kaitlyn Isensee (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2016

For Acne: "I started this medicine over a year ago. At first I was on a lesser mg and dose (I think 50mg once a day) it moved up to 100mg two times a day within a few months. At first it was great, it seemed like it really was helping. But then I kind of just took it ritually without any praises or complains. I would have nausea and even vomited once or twice. Recently I have been having severe eye swelling, redness and itching of my face. I am learning that this might be a side effect of the drug, so I plan to stop taking it."

Riley B December 10, 2016

For Acne: "I was on this for two years and it worked great for my acne. Then I developed severe ulcerative colitis and I feel it was due to minocycline. Got off it for a year and then tried it again, my IBS flared up again."

Molly dog December 10, 2016

For Acne: "I took this for a month previously in the year to get rid of my acne and it improved my skin. I started taking it again 7 months later with permission from the doctor and I experienced horrible side effects including severe diarrhea, and sores and itching on the scalp. I read that antibiotics can cause a yeast infection and I'm pretty sure that's what I have."

Anon1856 December 1, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I started taking solodyn 80mg for a month after stopping my birth control and developing cystic acne as a result of stopping it. I have the giant cystic ones that come back worse every time I stop an antibiotic for acne (2 rounds of doxy, 1 round of minocycline). So I took it for 8 weeks total and noticed significant hair loss over those eight weeks with mild improvement in my acne. I got less giant pimples that were deep and under the surface, but within 1.5 weeks of stopping, I have them probably worse than ever. Felt tired and lazy most of the time while I was on it and had trouble focusing. Not worth the side effects for minimal improvement. Hope you have better luck."

Emmmy W November 29, 2016

For Acne: "I took mynocine on and off for a year. Amazing at clearing acne, once you stop your acne will come back for sure. SIDE effects that could last for ever. I have loud and i mean loud whooshing sound in my right ear its called pulsatile tinnitus caused by mynocicline been having it since i started the medication, been off the med for 4 months and till have it. Its horrible i cant even concentrate cuz its so loud. It gave me extreme anxiety to the point that i couldnt leave my house without xanax. Thank god the anxiety went away but the tinnitus has not. Whatever u do dont take it, i read allot of revews just like you to decide to take this med and even tho allot of people adviced not to i was do dedperate to clear my acne that i still did."

Please read this!! (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2016

For Acne: "I am a teenager who HAD mild-severe acne. I had a lot of black-heads, acne on my chin, around my mouth, a little on the cheeks, and A LOT on my forehead. My doc prescripted me minocycline 100mg twice a day. I have to say, the first day I used it, over night, a few new pimples appeared. 1-2 weeks later, ALL my acne went away, leaving just tiny, TINY bumps. VERY SATISFIED WOULD RECOMMEND IT. I heard there is side effects, but I took it with food, and literally felt nothing!"

Matthew132313 November 24, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I just wanted to share the info I got from my doctor. I just got prescribed this medication today. Some people on here mentioned headaches, nausea and tanning both of which my doctor told me could be some side effects. Hope that helped! I hope this medicine helps me."

DDouble November 23, 2016

For Acne: "I took this medicine as a 17 year old teen boy. Minocycline cleared my face completely of any acne. It also removed the dark spots!"

ChrisKalfas November 22, 2016

For Acne: "I've taken minocycline here and there in the past year and I usually would take it for a few days and it would clear my skin up for a little bit, but a few days later it would get bad again and I would repeat this process over and over. But now I've been taking it twice a day for the past 3 months and my skin has gotten worse, I haven't had clear skin in 3 months. I ALWAYS have a pimple and recently while taking this medication, somehow I got 5 cystic pimples within a day. Also, I wash my face twice a day and drink a lot of water, so that isn't the problem. Don't take this medication, it sucks."

i hate minocycline (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I am 25 years old and I've been taking Solodyn for four days now. I usually wake up with a few new pimples on my face but have not seen any of that since on this pill. I'm extremely happy since I've been suffering with breakouts since the age of fourteen. A side effect would be nausea but at this point in my life anything is worth having clear skin and not being self-conscious. Another thing to add on is that I have also been using Onexton which is a daily face gel."

JenGGo November 21, 2016

For Acne: "I am a teenage girl with many breakouts all over my face, so I went to my doctor and got prescribed minocycline. After the first month my acne drastically got worse and I was just thinking that "It gets worse before it gets better", so I continued taking it for 2 years. Instead of getting better my acne worsened and has never gotten better, so I am now done taking minocycline and just starting a new prescription."

Ash892 November 18, 2016

For Acne: "This was prescribed for my 13 yo daughter's moderate acne by her pediatrician after epiduo and an expensive sulfer wash product did not work. After what looked like some good initial results the 1st week, her acne returned and was worse. We stuck it out for 2 mos hoping it was "getting worse before it gets better" while also waiting for an appt w/ an actual dermatologist - but it never got better. Once we finally saw the derm, he said it is not working if not better in 2 mos, and that he doesn't like mino for acne due to side effects anyway. He then prescribed amoxicillin and a topical cream called veltin that have worked MUCH better. I will say her side effects on mino were minimal (slight headaches 1st wk), but it didn't work for us."

Just Didn't Work (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 13, 2016

For Acne: "I'm 19 years old and I've been taking this for a month now. 50mg, twice a day. It's only made everything worse"

lidz8123 November 4, 2016

For Acne: "Hi guys I have broken out from no where stressing out and have been prescribed with minocyclin and steiva a 0.5% so I will update you guys in 2 weeks"

Mar roc November 4, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "I'm 32 years old and I was suffering from unwanted blemishes constantly. I was desperate to try anything to clear my skin - my last straw was seeing the dermatologist. I've now been on Solodyn for 3 months and my skin is nearly flawless with a small blemish rarely. Unfortunately my trade off for clear skin seems to be weight gain from Solodyn. I have been the same weight my entire life no matter what I ate. But since one Solodyn I have gone from 155 pounds to 170 pounds in 90 days and I'm even starving myself. Has anyone else had this side effect? and if so I hope the weight drops when I stop taking them. Help!"

Vanessa324 November 2, 2016

For Acne: "omg! First couple of months it really works really well but whenever I stop using it. I am breaking out really bad again specially on my fore head. starting using this medication I've only have severe acne on my cheeks. I've been on this medication 2-3 years now. I really think that it will help me but it's a BIG NO.. now I have a cystic acne on my forehead and on my back. I'm working on front retail and every time people looking at me it's giving me anxiety and my self esteem get lower and lower.. I don't recommend this medication if you only have severe acne it might just get worse.. goodluck"

Mehhhhhh :/ (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2016

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: "My close friend's very healthy 12 year old daughter was on Solodyn for what I would consider mild to moderate acne. A few weeks ago she started having significant stomach pain. They thought it was lactose intolerance, then maybe gluten intolerance. The pain worsened. Then she became severely constipated. The doctors did all types of GI testing. She began vomiting uncontrollably for days on end. Only upon going to the ER did they find after some blood work specifically checking for liver problems, that she had elevated enzymes. Scans showed liver enlargement. They took her off of the Solodyn. A few days later her liver is showing improvement and she can eat a bit. Official diagnosis was drug induced liver damage from the Solodyn."

DoubleU October 30, 2016