User Reviews for Minocycline

Also known as: Minocin, Solodyn, Dynacin, Ximino, Minolira, Minocin for Injection

Minocycline has an average rating of 5.8 out of 10 from a total of 552 ratings on Drugs.com. 45% of reviewers reported a positive experience, while 33% reported a negative experience.

Acne
Ocular Rosacea
Summary of Minocycline reviews 5.8 552 reviews

Reviews for Minocycline

Tey505 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · January 25, 2014

For Acne: “This medication worked absolute wonders for me! After having tried several topical treatments on my adult acne, with little to no result it wasn't at all like teenage acne that I had experienced in high school. This acne came in my second year of university and lasted until my fourth and final year, which was when I decided to take action. I was prescribed minocycline. Although results will vary with EVERY person, my results were almost instantaneous! I took the pills the first day, went to bed. Took them the second day, went to bed... when I woke up I had almost NOTHING on my face. It was amazing and has stayed away. I was also lucky enough to not experience any side effects! It has been two years since, and the acne hasn't returned.”

Anonymous · June 28, 2009

Minocin (minocycline) for Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Having suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for more than 20 years I suffered a whole body flare 5 years ago severe enough to almost prevent me from walking. Twenty-six days after being put on Minocin by my doctor at Harvard Medical School I was riding my bicycle 10 miles a day. Minocin is not a "cure" for rheumatoid arthritis. Whenever I have attempted to get off this drug the rheumatoid arthritis has come back within 2 months. But as long as I take it you would never know I have rheumatoid arthritis. Only side effect I've experienced is a grayish blue tint to my skin on my neck and cheeks.”

Ali · Taken for less than 1 month · June 18, 2020

For Acne: “Minocycline made me super sick. I thought I had COVID but got two negative tests. I stopped taking it and started to feel better in about a day. Made me tired, nauseous, chest pain, headache, weird around the tonsils. Also didn't help with the acne the way other antibiotics have.”

Hockey123 · September 5, 2020

For Acne: “After one week or two, I was taking 2 minocycline pills a day (one in the morning and one at night) and I immediately saw the difference. I have been suffering from pretty bad cystic acne for a couple years and my skin had never been that cleared. After 3 months of usage my skin was still amazing as I was not getting any pimple, like nothing AT ALL. After 3 months, he told me that he could only prescribe one more month because of the acidity and the effect it could have on my body. I was only taking 1 pill a day for the last month and I could immediately see that my acne was starting to come back, although not as bad as before taking the medication. Then, I stopped taking the medication and my skin has never been that terrible after 2 weeks. I though I had maskne because of wearing masks every day, but the mask is not the problem as stopping wearing it didn’t stop the problem. The minocycline is a good solution on the short term but not the long term as the acne came back even worse than before.”

Smile You're Beautiful. :) · January 10, 2014

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: “Hello everyone! So over winter break I gained a HUGE allergic reaction from an acne face wash that made me break out with acne ALL over my face. BIG CYSTIC PIMPLES. Yeah, it was really bad. I was embarrassed, I didn't want my family to even see me. I was ashamed. My mother took me to the dermatologist that Friday and I was prescribed Solodyn. I got two weeks prescription for free. I had an amazing experience so far, its only been a week, exactly a week from today that I've been on this medication.($35 for 3 months medication) I don't regret it at ALL. The only side effect it has had on me is tiredness after school. My acne has cleared about 90% if not more. I HIGHLY recommend this product to anyone with a very ugly acne break out.”

XO77 · Taken for 1 to 6 months · March 9, 2019

Dynacin (minocycline) for Rosacea: “I had rosacea for six years. It was debilitating. I was in severe depression from it. I tried everything. Then I went to a skin doctor who told me I had the worst case of rosacea that he’d ever seen. I hated him for saying that but he prescribed Dynacin and within 3 days the rosacea was gone. I did not want to stay on antibiotics so I only took it for 30 days. My skin stayed clear for about a year when I had a small flare up and I took another 30 day dose. I have not taken it again. My skin has remained clear and it has been 15 years now. I had no side effects.”

Carol · Taken for 2 to 5 years · May 28, 2018

For Rheumatoid Arthritis: “Originally diagnosed as having severe, aggressive RA, I was put on Methotrexate for a year. I hated the way it made me feel, and I freaked when she wanted to put me either biologics or Plaquenil. I found the Antibiotic Protocol Therapy for Minocycline on the Road Back Foundation, and convinced my GP to allow me to go onto it. In 10 months I was RA-related pain and deformity free and in 2 1/2 years I found a new Rheumatologist that did not believe that I really did have severe, aggressive RA - it is that good. You have to start slowly or you may suffer from a Herxheimer reaction, but I have enjoyed this time without the worst of the RA symptoms. YAY!”

meriel · Taken for 1 to 2 years · September 8, 2014

For Acne: “I LOVE minocycline. I used to have HORRIBLE acne all over my cheeks that would lead me to cake my face with makeup everyday and I hated it. Then I tried minocycline and my skin was flawless within a week. I completely stopped wearing makeup because my skin looked great. However last week, I ran out of my refills of the prescription so I had to see my dermatologist and he gave me doxycycline and I HATED it. Every time I took it I would vomit and it made my acne MUCH worse. In going back to minocycline tomorrow and hopefully my skin will clear up again.”

Anonymous · February 23, 2020

For Acne: “Started minocycline over a year ago to get my acne under control. My acne remained cleared. But what I didn’t realize was this medicines contribution to my debilitating mental health. Before I made the connection to the minocycline, I thought I was developing depression on my own. Life became such an effort, I didn’t want to leave my room, I cried almost every night, and I experienced unsettling moments of feeling like I didn’t actually exist. Then my dermatologist told me I could go off of minocycline as my face was looking good and it’s not good to be on long term (I was on this for over a year, but these symptoms began to develop early on). Well I have never felt so good. Being off the minocycline I feel like I have just woken up from a year of not really being conscious. Also, upon stopping it my acne came right back. But I will never put another minocycline pill in my mouth. If time had gone on and I had not stopped the medication, I worry for how I may have ended up.”

112268 · March 6, 2016

Minocin (minocycline) for Acne: “I never had problems with acne as a teenager or young adult. I'm 47 & I started getting terrible, very painful, cystic acne about 6 months ago. It covered the entire surface of my chin & some around my nose & mouth. I was mortified & depressed cause of these horrific awful lesions on my face. I would do everything possible to avoid interaction with people, I hated going anywhere other than home & even at home it was hard to let my man look at me. I had no clue I had cystic acne. I thought it was just hormonal changes. I couldn't take it anymore, it wasn't going away no matter what I did. I went to the doctor & he put me on Minocin twice a day & within a week my face is 98% clear. I can hold my head up again with confidence.”

Oksanagirl · January 2, 2014

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: “I've had acne since I was 14yrs old, and I'm 18 now. So I've been suffering for 4 years now. I've tired everything to get rid of my acne. I had some cystic acne and just regular acne, but it would be all over my face and leave bad scarring. It was very embarrassing. I finally decided I would do something about it. I went to the dermatologist and she prescribed me Solodyn. My face cleared up within a month, I have never seen my face this clear before it's like I never even had acne, all that's left is scars though. But this medicine from my experience works great, and I didn't experience any serious side effects. I highly recommend it.”

Jasper57 · May 24, 2013

For Rosacea: “I first started using minocycline when my rosacea got so bad it was affecting my eyes. This cleared it up in a few days. About a year ago I stopped using minocycline and yes, the rosacea came back. So I started it again and in 5 days the rosacea was totally cleared up again. I've noticed no side effects whatsoever. It really works for me.”

Emerp · March 18, 2015

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: “I had pretty bad acne and tried many topical creams with very little relief. Solodyn really helped with my acne pretty quick. But what I noticed is that, if I missed a single daily dose, I would start to get really deep acne within 24 hours. It was frustrating because when I was getting low on a prescription, I had to make sure and go to my dermatologist immediately. It also dried my skin out quite a bit. My advice to anyone considering it; 1) make to be very consistent with when you take it, 2) start decreasing your dose as soon as you start seeing some improvement (break pills in half but still take daily, then 1/3 daily, etc.), 3) drink lots of water and use face lotion to hydrate your skin, because it really dries it out.”

Jo1983 · March 17, 2014

For Acne: “I've always had clear skin until I got pregnant when I was 29. Suddenly I had cystic pimples on my chin almost constantly. When I had my baby it didnt get any better, I was tired of having the painful bumps on my face all the time so I told my doctor about it, she perscibed minocycline and within a week I noticed a huge improvement, my chin has totally cleared up !!”

Anonymous · January 21, 2013

For Rosacea: “I have used this medication successfully for years. Initially I used it daily for a few weeks, then tapered down to 3 times a weeks, then only 3 days in a row for flare ups. I haven't used any for 3 years until just recently when I had a flare up. After one dose the redness decreased and no new pustules. The only side effect has been yeast infection when I take higher doses, i.e., twice a day for 5-7 days, but I have not found that I need to do that. I can usually take 50 mg, once a day for 3 days, then I take a dose every other day for 3 days. By then the pustules have resolved and no yeast infection.”

chief · Taken for 1 to 6 months · May 12, 2020

Minocin (minocycline) for Acne: “Minocycline worked wonders for both my acne and rosacea. it gave me skin I could only dream of. Only a few days of 100mg per day was enough to clear me up completely and with no side effects. I stayed on it for 7,5 months, had to stop because I thought it was starting to lose its effectiveness at that point. My acne & rosacea ofc came back and worse than they were before minocin, which made me resent taking it even tho it gave me such good skin in the short term. Overall, miracle drug but for the short term. still wish I never took it bc after stopping it my breakouts turned kinda worse.”

Catsreviews · September 19, 2017

For Acne: “I had hormonal acne when I started taking minocycline. I am 25 years old, and a women - if that is relevant to anyone. I was hesitant to start this medication since I read bad reviews on it, but I has no issues with it what so ever! Cleared up my skin in less than a month, and acne did not return since. I stopped taking it after 30 days. I got a couple spots here and there, but nowhere near as bad as I was. The only thing is don't take it right before going to bed because when I did that I would wake up feeling hung over and dizzy. If I took it in the morning or around lunch time, there were absolutely no side effects. If you are hesitating like I was my advice to you is to try it!”

Holley Hammy · August 31, 2014

For Acne: “I've been taking 100mg 2 times a day for 3 months now. It has cleared my shoulders/back/chest pretty well as well as my face being mostly clear too. It works best if you take it consistently. I am a very busy 16 year old girl with sports and school. If I skip a dosage I notice a few blemishes on my shoulders appear. If you get on this and you don't see a difference in a month, call your doctor and ask if they can up your dosage. If you follow the regulations and take it as directed, it works pretty good. I recommend it to anyone who is struggling with finding a face wash to work for them.”

Sandy · Taken for 5 to 10 years · July 16, 2019

For Acne: “I had cystic acne from the age of 15 that all but ruined my life. I developed cysts on my face, chest, back and other places! I lost a lot of time from school as I was too embarrassed to show my face. When I was 20 my doctor introduced me to Minocin and I felt re-born! My acne cleared up within a week or so and I regained my confidence. I was so terrified that my acne would return that I took the drug without an interval for about 7 years. I'm not aware of any particular side affects and I'm now a healthy 61 year old.”

h572828 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year · March 24, 2019

For Acne: “Minocycline is an amazing medication cleared my acne completely after 1 1/2 months regular use. I experienced severe acne throughout my entire face, and cystic acne deep below my skin on the bottom of my face that was very painful throughout my entire teen years. After trying several face washes, scrubs, gels, and face masks as well as drinking lots of water, nothing happened so I decided to go to my doctor for help. He prescribed minocycline at 100mg once a day, and my acne completely vanished after a month and a half. Before and after pictures are amazing. This medication saved my self confidence and also saved me from having to deal with painful cystic acne!”

tiwini · Taken for 1 to 6 months · September 16, 2015

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: “I really like Solodyn as my acne treatment. I have been using this medication since march 2015 but after a couple months of using it my acne disappeared. I was on proactive for 2 years but no luck. Solodyn is truly a great antibiotic pill for acne. Please do yourself a huge favor and try it! Everyone deserves to go through life with clean skin! God bless”

Roger · Taken for 2 to 5 years · August 3, 2021

For Acne: “I've been taking minocycline for about 5 years to treat cystic acne. I would only tend to get breakouts at certain times of the year, so I would take it only when I felt breakouts starting (typically 1 month on, a few months off). It worked WONDERS. Acne would clear up almost instantly. Now for the bad part... I started feeling quite sick last year for about 3+ months. It would randomly go away for a week or so and then return. I had multiple blood tests, scans etc. to try to figure out what was going on. Everything came back fine and nobody had any explanation. Long story short, while it was never officially diagnosed, i’m pretty sure it was DRUG INDUCED LUPUS, and I’m pretty sure it was from the minocycline. If I take the drug now, I feel sick almost instantly. I've had to give it up. I’m assuming what happened to me is rare. But I wanted to put it out there in case this information helps someone else.”

Lynz b 90 · October 22, 2014

Solodyn (minocycline) for Acne: “My acne was terrible. I felt like I had tried everything and that my next option was going to have to be Accutane (something I really did not want to try!). I tried like 4 different dermatologists before I was finally recommended to try Solodyn and within 2-3 months my acne began clearing and not coming back. I took it for about 6 months and I had a few pimples (but they were nothing like the ones I had before) and some scarring. I started slowing going off the Solodyn by taking half a pill every day and then every other day until I just totally stopped. It's been about 6 or 7 months since my last Solodyn pill and my skin still looks great. I usually will have one or two small pimples but I usually just spot treat with Epiduo.”

hreo · Taken for 1 to 6 months · December 4, 2019

For Acne: “Works instantly but the side effects are not worth it. It ruins the gut and skin bacteria which means after you stop taking it all the acne causing bacteria returns even stronger (the good bacteria gets wiped while on this medication too). I wish I never took this as it made my skin actually worse once I stopped taking it.”

Vanitymdl · November 19, 2014

For Acne: “I've got to say this medication as helped my cystic acne a lot. I am 22 years old and have been suffering with acne for two years now. I would get cystic acne all over my cheeks and it would hurt so bad. I got prescribed this medicine and the first week my skin went through a purging phase and it was breaking out a lot, but no cystic acne. Now on my second week, I'm getting bad side effects. I'm extremely dizzy all the time, lightheaded, and confused. I don't know why I'm getting these side effects now, but I am miserable.”