User Reviews for Amoxicillin

5.9

Summary of Amoxicillin reviews 6.9 207 reviews

Reviews for Amoxicillin

Slipstreamer 61 year old male · Taken for less than 1 month August 11, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I was on a cruise ship and caught a throat infection. The ship’s doctor recommended Amoxycillin. I took it for two days three times a day after meals. The bad side effects were diverse and extreme. Nausea, fatigue, very bad headache, etc. I stopped using it and it took 3 days for the side effects to dissipate. Never again! This drug should be viewed with extreme caution and if side effects occur stop using it immediately."

CR Mike August 11, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "I’ve had bad teeth all my life. I’m terrified of dentists but found a good one that I trust. I had a tooth break where I had a bad cavity... it’s at the nerve yet I don’t feel anything. When taking X-rays the dentist noticed an abscess on another tooth. No pain. I have a compromised immune system and need a few teeth pulled. The dentist put me on amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day for 7 days. Day 1 after 2 doses I felt very tired and no energy. I had run low grade fevers for a few weeks and after 5 doses I still have a slight fever. Hopefully things start to improve. When they do I’ll change the review"

Megrose · Taken for less than 1 month July 31, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "Amoxicillin worked the first time I had this dental infection. The infection has come back 3 times now and amoxicillin, for me, is pointless but of course the drs don't listen or think I'm exaggerating."

JB576 · Taken for less than 1 month July 29, 2019

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I have pain below a root canal that was done about 3 years ago. Then it started to swell. I went to a dentist and was told it is infected. They gave me 24 of the 500mg Amoxicillin to take 1 every 8 hours. I didn't feel any immediate relief. After about four days, the swelling seemed to finally go down. By the time I finished the prescription the swelling was gone except for a small bump and I had no pain. A couple days later, the pain crept up on me and now it's swelling again. I am trying to get either another prescription or a different antibiotic..."

Jon · Taken for less than 1 month July 12, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "Amoxicillin worked great. Taking probiotics daily with antibiotics is a must to avoid all the stomach side effects (since they kill bacteria, antibiotics can kill the good bacteria in your stomach that helps digest food- hence the nausea and diarrhea etc etc) if you don’t have probiotics at least eat some yogurt daily. Continue for a week after the antibiotic course is done."

Johka04 · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I have a bad bacteria infection from a broken tooth in the front of my mouth. I tried natural remedies that normally work but didn’t this time. My face swelled a lot so ER dr prescribed Amoxicillin. First three doses (500mg every 8 hours) caused excruciating pains (more than original pain) I used ibuprofen with it which really helped my pain for 3 hrs at a time. Then read about liquid Benadryl and milk of magnesia 2 minute gargle. It was incredible. Now on day two 5 doses in, I’m in no pain at all. I also take every dose with a probiotic called florastor to prevent side effects and it’s working too. I have not given 10 yet because I am not done with my 10 day course of treatment."

Dick · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Best treatment for my UTI is taking 500mg amoxicillin twice a day. After six days, UTI essentially cleared up. Feel so much better."

indigogirl · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2019

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Well I was told for 20 plus years I was allergic to penicillin, I did get a rash as a child but that doesn't mean I was allergic. I took the gamble and I seem to be okay. I'm on the 4th day of treatment and I just want this ugly infection gone. I'm starting to feel a little better. Good Health to you all. No side effects"

Anonymous May 24, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "Amoxicillin really does work. for severe toothache/infection! At first you going to feel as if they don't work but take ibuprofen along with the antibiotics and its will do the trick. Two weeks ago I was in sooo much pain that I had a panic attack with it and had to go to the emergency room for it. Now I'm back to normal eating a little bit normal"

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2019

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "Went to the urgent care and got prescribed 850mg dosages for my URTI and on the first dose of the day already have some relief in my throat."

cfell · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

For Otitis Media: "Amoxicillin did not work very well for me and my ear infection, I was switched to Cefdinir after 3 days."

Namee · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "I really thought it was my sinuses. My left side of my face was throbbing and full of pressure as well as my jaw and chin gums and teeth hurt to the touch. I kept taking the real Sudafed, Benadryl and Tylenol. Did not even put a dent in relief. Went to dentist Thursday May 2nd 2019. Saw a massive infection in bottom gum, hole in tooth and infection in jaw bone! Talk about pain!!!!! I took two 500 mg Amoxicillin as soon as I got the bottle. Then 1 every 8 hours. It's now Saturday and what a difference. Jaw still sore beyond belief but not throbbing. Ecstatic is how I feel now. Tired shaky moody stomach pain but that does not compare to a severe infection that spread to root and bone. Amoxicillin does work."

mepeppmt April 25, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "I was prescribed amoxil for severe tooth infection. 1000mg one in the morning and one in the evening. My jaw and cheek and gum were still swollen in the first 3 days, as well as it was really painful. Then on the 4th day, the swelling has subsided but gum was still swollen. My dentist did a root canal on the 5th day with a swollen gum, then I continued taking this med another 4 days. It got rid of the tooth infection completely, but it is very slow. If you have a tooth infection, this med usually works slow on it and you have to hit high doses to help fight the infection. And yes, it left a very bad yeast infection at the end, which grew to be a "candida overgrowth symptom" too much yeast in your gut, and I am still trying to get rid of it with antifungals, and a low sugar and carb diet and probiotics. I don't know why I got that yeast, since I ate tons of probiotic yogurts while on prescription and immediately started probiotics after the treatment and still continue to take."

Anonymous April 21, 2019

Amoxil (amoxicillin) for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "I have asthma since I was 7 years old. Now I have a URTI and I was given this. I have never tried amoxil before I got it earlier this week from my GP not working at all on me."

Mike April 14, 2019

For Otitis Media: "It took a while to clear up my ears, but it worked. I had bad gut problems as a side effect. PROTIP: Antibitotics kill the good gut colonies, so you will need to replenish them with yogurt or probiotics tabs while taking your meds. This will get rid of the diarrhea issues. I ate two little packs of yogurt per amoxicillin pill, and that solved the issue."

Becksx · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2019

For Otitis Media: "Have had a blocked ear 5 days now went to the doctor last night as the pain was unbearable, I absolute no hearing in my left ear and was really concerned. I have been prescribed amoxicillin 500mg and just have taken two doses. Had eased pain but there is still a dull pain still there. Still no sign on my hearing coming back hopefully does soon, driving me mad! Upset stomach from this antibiotic which is one side effect"

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2019

For Otitis Media: "Worked great, no side effects. And I previously had amoxicillin rash after about 7 days of taking it, so I successfully took amoxicillin again finishing the whole course without having recurrence of the rash. It's important to know (which you can read in articles on pubmed.gov) that having the late-onset amoxicillin rash once doesn't mean you will have it the next time you take the drug. With all antibiotics, it's normal to take probiotics or eat yogurt labeled "with active cultures" to protect yourself from antibiotics associated diarrhea, but amoxicillin doesn't tend to effect the gram-negative gut bacteria, so it's not as big concern. Amoxicillin isn't like ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, or moxifloxacin (fluoroquinolones) -- those antibiotics leave people permanently disabled for the rest of their lives."

Not_your_father · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "I'm a 54 year old, 235 lb, healthy white male. I was prescribed Amoxicillin by my dentist. Reason: I had a toothache for five days, finally went to see my dentist, the gum around one molar was infected, painful to the touch and with pus coming out when the dentist poked it with her dental instrument. She prescribed a dose of 500MG tablets to take 3 times per day, for 7 days. After just one day of taking the drug, my pain was almost completely gone. Three days into the treatment, both the pain and the infection were completely gone. I'm on the last day of my 7-day treatment and no side effects at all, except I'm feeling a bit more tired than usual, but I sleep like a baby at night. I'm very happy with this drug."

UTIprone · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2019

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I’ve taken this drug many, many times since I was a kid. I took it a lot for strep throat, as well as before dental procedures. I recently took it for a UTI and it worked within a day. No side effects at all. All medication comes with risks, but this is a better choice than Fluroquinolones or some of the other types of antibiotics on the market. Take a probiotic with it, and assuming you don’t have an allergy you should be fine."

Pain · Taken for less than 1 month April 2, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "Amoxicillin is far too slow at working so it is leaving you in pain."

Nic · Taken for less than 1 month March 14, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I had 4 pre-molars removed to make space for when I got a brace fitted. Thought the procedure would be quite straight forward... anything but! One tooth snapped on the way out, so needed surgery. The other 3 all got infected within 2 days of being pulled. (I had “monster roots” apparently, which contributed). I got prescribed amoxicillin and metronidazole to help for this dental work. It’s day 6 of taking the antibiotics now and I’m still unsure if they’ve worked. Although many side affects! Fever, vomiting, itchy skin, headaches, drowsiness, awful metallic taste, low moods. I’ve now lost 14lbs in weight and I still have the infection. Awful drug!"

apaq · Taken for less than 1 month March 8, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I was given a prescription of amoxicillin capsules for ten days to help fight a strep throat infection. My throat started getting better within the first day. By the second day, my throat didn't hurt at all. On the third day, however, I started experiencing serious side effects. I had severe diarrhea and abdominal pain that were so bad that I stopped taking the capsules. I was in bed for two days with agonizing cramps and frequent visits to the toilet. I lost my appetite and didn't eat for two days. It is now the sixth day after starting to take amoxicillin and the cramps and diarrhea are gone. The strep infection has returned. I will not go back to the amoxicillin. Instead, I will wait for the infection to heal without any medicine. The cramps were so painful that I wouldn't intentionally go through that again unless there was a better reason to do it."

TW · Taken for less than 1 month March 1, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "Works like a charm after only one day. The tooth pain was gone and the swelling was down. I will take for another 6 days, so as to kill any lingering infection. Male, 62 years old."

Willis82 · Taken for less than 1 month February 19, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed 875 mg 2x per day for a boil. Very good med, cleared my boil in 4 days."

Lady B · Taken for less than 1 month February 12, 2019

For Dental Abscess: "Started taking on Wednesday for mild tooth infection with no symptoms. By Thursday I had a severe headache, extreme fatigue, and fever. Mood was affected I’ve been very moody almost a pent-up angry feeling. Fever and headache continued until Monday when I just decided to quit antibiotic (5 days with fever) dentist refused to change antibiotics. Better now"