User Reviews for Amoxicillin

Also known as: Amoxicot, Amoxil, Apo-Amoxi, Biomox, DisperMox, Moxatag, Moxilin, Trimox, Wymox

Learn more about Amoxicillin.

Helicobacter Pylori Infection 2 reviews 61 medications

Sinusitis 11 reviews 248 medications

6.6
Summary of Amoxicillin reviews 142 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Amoxicillin

For Bacterial Infection: "Been given as I have a infection in my wisdom tooth which I've got a specialist consultation for in 2 weeks time. So far had 6 of these tablets (one 3x a day so I'm about go onto day 3) No pain relief and no sleep. Not slept right in over a week now but the pain is becoming unbearable. I take morphine, paracetamol & Naproxen for health conditions and none of these have worked with my body. My dentist didn't give me anything apart from the antibiotics and just told me within 2 days I'll be much more painless as the paracetamol should work with the antibiotics. It's 2:28am on the 3rd day several hours before my 7th pill and I'm in so much pain and so tired but cannot sleep. Seem not to work for me, feels like it's getting worse. Will update."

Rae91 April 29, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "Taking amoxicillin for tooth infection the first day of taking it was horrible tooth hurt more than it did before I started but I think that was the drug doing it's job trying to fight off the infection second day same situation still more pain the third day was great finally no more pain from toothache! Pain free only thing is I woke up with swollen gums. Side effects from this drug is hard to bare especially for me since I work 9-9. I was very tired on daily basis my body was weak , stomach pain, woke up in the middle of night not being able to sleep. I mean side effects were horrible but I only had to take This drug for 7 days until I was able to get the tooth pulled . Thank God"

Mirmir25 April 24, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "gave me yeast infection."

Soli Shepards April 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "This was for prophylactic dose to protect hip replacements .The one and only time I did take only one dose I had severe stomach cramps multiple bouts of diarrhea about 12 hours after taking the med. I had also tried Clindamycin but after taking it for many years each time I needed dental work I ended up getting a rash over my neck and chest. The next time I had a dental appt. my doc prescribed Cipro from which I had no side effects after one dose. Around that time friends began posting a lot of negative side effects from Cipro on Facebook. I demanded a change and was given Amoxicillin. The first dose caused diarrhea but with the second one came severe cramp and diarrhea two days post ingestion. Several days later I experienced respiratory problems. Wish I knew if it was the Amoxicillin."

Lilikoi April 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed amoxicillin in preparation for my first root canal. The tooth was sensitive, but did not hurt. They made me exhausted, alternately chilled and sweating. Lost my appetite. Can't sleep. Skin is sensitive to the touch. I'm seeing halos around bright lights. Urinating gives 1/4 to 1/2 cup every hour or so, and I couldn't stop the dribble. I might buy some Depends to save my pants."

Seventy Years (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I just wanted to point out that it's important to take as doctor prescribes The common cold is caused by a virus so that is why your doctor doesn't want to give you antibiotics unless it progresses in to a bacterial infection. You don't want to take antibiotics unless you have to. And you don't want to take them continually for more then 7-10 days or for to short of time. Bacteria becomes immune to antibiotics and can become stronger where your body can't fight them in the future. They are needed in bacterial infections quite often but don't just take any antibiotics for the hell of it or with out a lot of research as they aren't good for you over all."

Lunablue March 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "I've been sick for a week. It started out with headache, throat pain, chills and over all just feeling exhausted. I had rapid strep and culture, both appearing negative. This is 7 days later, no change in symptoms and this morning I woke up with little pus pockets in my throat. I've been taking Alkaseltzer for 7 days and the instructions state to see an MD if taken longer than 1 week, so I went to urgent care and was prescribed Amoxicillin. I took 2 Amoxicillin four hours ago and already feel 90% better! I haven't taken antibiotics for many years. I am grateful to be feeling better so quickly~!"

Lil Sick March 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "After being in agony after my filling I was wondering why my tooth was still hurting after a filling, after going back to the dentist after a few days the x ray showed I had a slight infection near the nerve of the tooth causing it to cause me tremendous amounts of pain, I was prescribed by him this amoxcillin and started taking it on the day, I have taken 2 of my 3 tablets so far on day one and I can say the pain has gone considerably, for the first time in a week I am happy again, I really hope this sorts the infection right out but so far so good!"

Zeeno (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis: "I am sorry for those who do have allergic reactions to this antibiotic. I am prone to bronchitis. I am allergic to leviquin and doxycycline but amoxicillin works for me!"

RuthE69 February 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "I had a root canal abscess for quite some time. After much thought, I decided to go with the dentists suggestion to take the tooth out. It's been fantastic, even the bone graft seemed to heal very well. The a few days ago, six months after extraction, I woke up with pulsing pain in the area of the bone graft. I had some cephlixin antibiotics left over from another dentist prescription for the abscess from the year before, so even though I hate taking them I started on these antibiotics. I saw my dentist a day later, as soon as he could see me, and he suggested I swap to amoxicillin. The cephlexin had not really done much. Now, this morning after only two tablets, I am much better. I think it will clear up quickly."

Soo soo February 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bacterial Infection: "I have just started taking this medicine this time around for a very nasty cold that has gone bad!! My doctor is against giving this medicine to his clients so I feel lucky to have obtained it. I am a 61 yo man that has taken this particular pill several times in the past during my lifetime but it seems to me that it is no longer as potent as it once was. I know that my body may have become tolerant to this drug so that may be part of the affect but i don't think the pharmacy industry is giving the full potency as they once did either. I hope that by tomorrow I will feel much better because I am so sick of being sick!!!"

Sickie74 January 31, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed PLUS 4 second molars (two on top and two on bottom). Doc prescribed this antibiotic with T3. Antibiotics caused my entire body to be itchy. Each time right after taking the antibiotic I get chills and then fever like symptoms...dizziness, shakes and nausea and very disoriented. Also caused hiccups everytime afterward. Goes away but the itching doesn't. The left side of my face is more swollen then the right one. It's day two. Was told it would be much worse at day 3. Not liking this antibiotic at all. But because I had so many teeth removed at once I have to stick with it and rinsing with salt water in order to avoid infection."

Audri13 January 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "it's more effective to get Augmentin 625 (Amoxicillin + Potassium Clavulanate) for tonsillitis."

nmssalman (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was born with 4 kidneys, and it seems some of the other reviewers "side effects" were actually kidney/bladder infection symptoms. These infections spread fast, and can be lethal. Amoxacillin is a gentle savior for me, I still have 3 of 4 kidneys, after surgery and countless urinary tract infections, I trust it very much. It can take as little as 2 days to go from UTI to bladder, and a day or so more to kidneys, nip it in the bud, at first stinging. Because if you start to feel constipated, it's probably not, that is a kidney infection symptom. These infections scare the daylights out of me, it has been quite a while since I was hospitalized, amoxacillin is safe and much easier on the body than cipro."

lilyjulia1 January 10, 2017

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "I took Amoxicillin twice, for an ear ache and for a tooth ache. Helped both times. No side effects as I took a big load of probiotics (heavy dosing at least every 2 hours...I even took some probiotics at the same time as the antibiotics...counterproductive as antibiotics kill probiotics but it put my mind at ease knowing that I was constantly replenishing the good bacteria in my body even if some of them were getting killed off). I take probiotics and other meds regularly (digestive enzymes, omega 3's, vitamins A-E, etc.) so I've had no problem rebounding from the potential long term effects of antibiotics. Even though I absolutely hate antibiotics, it's the only thing that worked for me with these two conditions."

Anon500 January 9, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis: "These results I'm reading here are not at all typical. If not for Amoxicillin, I would miss 3 or more days of work due to Bronchitis, but If I start taking it at the first sign of, I miss zero days. If not this, then a Zithromax Z-Pak (azithromycin) works great also."

The Finisher (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Went in to see the doctor for symptoms of bad swollen red tonsils and cringed everytime I swollowed, they gave me 1 dose there and within a few hours my throat was already starting to get better. I am relieved now, nobody wants to deal with this, especially on Christmas!"

Brandi341 December 26, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Strep was diagnosed at the 3rd day, and 1st dose of Amoxicillin cleared all the pus. Also had a steroid shot for swelling, but 1 Amox pill and I was 75% back to normal. I never take antibiotics EVER, so I think that really helped the drug kick ultimate germ ass."

David Robison December 24, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had many bladder infections over the years, to varying degrees-- and Amoxicillin has always worked for me, personally, when it comes to the worst of them. But everyone is different, so if it doesn't help your infection go away, switch to another antibiotic, but be warned that the current push is to prescribe a powerful class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolone, that have a rare, but potentially permanent side effect of nerve damage (and warning states that the effect can happen AFTER you've taken the medication). So, given the choice of antibiotics, I'd take Amoxicillin first. Yes, there are side effects, but minor and temporary. Just take probiotics, eat well, hydrate."

Frequent UTIs (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Otitis Media: "My son who was 7 months old at the time was prescribed amoxicillin for an ear infection (otitis media) that he had. This was the 3rd or 4th ear infection he had had since being born. Unfortunately, the medication was not effective at getting rid of his ear infection and so it had to be upgraded to Augmentin instead. The Augmentin cleared the ear infection up. My son had recurrent ear infections and ended up needing ear tubes (tympanostomy tubes) put in because of them."

AveMaria02 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Sinusitis: "I have taken this medication many times for sinusitis along with concurrent ear infections (otitis media). It has always cleared up my infection. The only drawback is that I am always prescribed the 875 mg pill and those pills are HUGE!"

AveMaria02 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Only used this to cure my UTI so it wouldn't spread to a kidney infection. But the side effects are absolutely horrific! I can't deal with this much longer. I'm supposed to take 500mg/3x a day for 7 days but I'm cutting it short I'll do it for 5 days because it's day 3 and I already want to stop it. My side effects: •All day long nausea •Extreme constipation •Abdominal cramping/pain from the gas trapped and constipation •Diffuctly flactuating •NO appetite whatsoever, every food sounds disgusting and hard to eat •Anxiety and fear mixed with deep sadness •Fatigued and weak •Feeling like I'm slowly dying but trying to make it through each day, day by day •Dehabiliting - I hardly want to go out and do anything, need to sit out a lot."

milanpruz (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "Every time I take Amoxillin I get stomach /abdomen problems and can't control my bowels. Also I feel very anxious and can't think straight. I try not to do anything important as I can't focus at all. Other people I know have also experienced this (thankfully )as I thought I was getting mentally ill! These antibiotics really make you feel low but they work! I was prescribed 3 x 500 mg for a week after dental extraction but could only manage to take 2 a day. I quit after 4 days though I know its important to take the whole course. I try to stay out of the sun when Im on this drug as symptoms are worse if you sunbathe."

always ill (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bronchitis: "I'm 36 years old and have never had a issue with taking any meds other than Lortabs. Despite all of the reviews here, I was sure that I would be okay. The first night taking it, I noticed a lingering headache. I figured, I can deal with a small headache if this is going to clear me up. Well night two, the diarrhea started. The only reason why this was such a problem was because I was on my menstrual cycle as well. However, the diarrhea was not that bad, so I decided to take it again. Day three, my period stopped. I normally have a 6 day cycle, but it was completely gone. I also had severe stomach pain and diarrhea like water. I was in worse pain taking this med. I do not recommend this drug to anyone!!"

Do Not Use This (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Dental Abscess: "I just started taking this medication 4 days ago to prevent infection from wisdom tooth extraction surgery. It has been making me extremely tired and I never had this problem. Today I slept for a total of 17 hours and the first day a total of 14 hours. I have never felt so tired in my life. I have no energy and have had a migraine all day."

Tay2014 September 5, 2016