User Reviews for Amoxicillin

Also known as: Amoxil, Apo-Amoxi

Amoxicillin has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 314 ratings on Drugs.com. 53% of those users who reviewed Amoxicillin reported a positive effect, while 30% reported a negative effect.

Dental Abscess
Bacterial Endocarditis Prevention
Summary of Amoxicillin reviews 6.3 314 reviews

Reviews for Amoxicillin

Rachiierou32 · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2021

For Otitis Media: “I was given amoxicillin for otitis media, after day 3 the pain was still horrendous, the GP tried me wth ear drops but as soon as they hit my drum it burnt and I'd have to lay there with a hot water bottle compressed to my ear, amoxicillin does nothing for me it's only ever worked for a chest infection that I had once, I have now been given flucloxacillin take one capsules 4 times a day, 10 day course hoping this works. The only thing amoxicillin did was get the pus to the surface of my ear which enabled me to clear it a bit, still in pain feels like sand paper inside my ear generally want to cry!”

Xero · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2021

For Otitis Media: “It's great fix my ear infection in three days”

Slickchic March 25, 2021

For Dental Abscess: “6months ago, I went to Dentist in regards to my back bottom molar. Took it for 3 days for pain to became manageable. Well it went away until I started eating my celery sticks once more (munch, munch, munch) then again, on amoxicillin, every time my top back molar touches that bad tooth I see birds flying around my head, not robins, but blackbirds, ok not literally. Immense pain, taken max dose of paracetamol, did nothiung! I took ibucalm - got 2 hours sleep but woke, realising my back upper teeth were grinding on the 'PAINFUL TOOTH' at the bottom. I've got panda eyes. Lost 3 lbs, 45mins after soup, the pain goes CRAZY. Once I had a slice of bread and I nearly went to war on myself when I chewed on the back tooth. I'm in agony, sometimes I want to cry, other times I want to smash things up and when I've taken ibucalm, I get to watch a bit of TV. My poor tummy isn't used to this starvation. My weight scales however, are delighted. Wishing HEALING on everyone. I know Day 5, I should feel a human again.”

summersoul November 2, 2013

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I've suffered frequent UTIs and am usually prescribed amoxicillin, which for me works amazingly well. If I catch it early I find the ache in my bladder, small amount of blood in the urine and the urgency to pee goes away enough to be comfortable within 6 hours, and I feel 100% normal again in 24-48 hours. Does the trick each time.”

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “I have a tooth infection and swelling on my face spreading to my neck now on my second dose of ammoxillin 500 mg it's not working can't see dentist with covid-19..what do I do now?..I am scared if the infection goes into my blood stream as that's very very dangerous!”

Lopt · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “At first I was convinced the antibiotic will not work as the pain felt like it was getting worse everyday and I was ready to go back to the dentist. Only after completing 4 out of 7 days (3 pills a day) did I start to feel better! Make sure you finish the entire course.”

lisamarieb October 12, 2015

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I had been having abdominal and pelvic pain for over three weeks thinking that it was menstrual related. Once my cycle was over I noticed that there was blood in my urine and immediately knew that it was a urinary tract and or bladder infection. I got a prescription for amoxicillin and within an hour of taking the first dose which was two pills my pain had subsided from an 8 to a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. Several hours later I was immediately feeling back to myself and ready to get out and start living again. The pain of the bladder infection or urinary tract infection had literally kept me in the house with a heating pad on for three weeks almost a month. Make sure that you do take the full Rx for the infection or it could come back.”

Sad face · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2021

For Dental Abscess: “Oh my, such a painful tooth infection top back molar. Crying waking up in the middle if the night with the pain. Cannot eat or bite down. Dentist given me 5 days of amoxicillin and I am now on day 2. Reading through this thread gives me some hope that on perhaps day 4 I will be pain free. Dental pain, has got to be the worse.”

:) · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “So, I have had a tooth infection multiple times, but this time it’s worse to the point where I can’t eat or sleep, or if I mange to fall asleep I wake up in tears because of the pain, I have been taking Co-Codamol, nurofen and paracetamol and also been using ice to try and numb my mouth, I had to ring up the dentist (due to covid-19 I could not get an appointment) and explained my symptoms, which is swollen red gums, throbbing pain in the mouth and jaw and tender when touching, I was prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg x3 a day, I have been taken them for 3 days now and the pain is still there, still swollen, the pain killers no longer work, I haven’t eaten in three days, and everything hurts, the ice doesn’t make an impact, and I am just in severe pain day and night, i just think it’s a waste of time”

Chica95 · Taken for 10 years or more January 10, 2020

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I have had frequent UTIs since I was a kid and I still get them every couple of months. Amoxicillin has always worked for me. My doctor tried to change it up this time around and give me Bactrim. It was awful. It did nothing for my UTI, and just made me feel super dizzy and tired all day. So I went back and she gave me Macrobid. I told her that amoxicillin has always worked for me but she insisted I try the Macrobid. Still in constant pain, the frequency, all of it is still there. Amoxicillin is THE ONLY one that works for me. I am going back tomorrow and insisting on the amoxicillin. I KNOW MY BODY.”

KISSY46 April 16, 2010

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I have always used amoxicillin it for my frequent urinary tract infection's. It works in 4 or 5 days, although I take it for a 10 day run. I take two 250mg caps twice a day. I have never had any problems. Works great, if your aren't allergic to any of the penicillin type drugs.”

yasghahremani · Taken for less than 1 month August 3, 2014

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Very effective, made me feel like normal again after weeks of being in pain due to my urinary tract infection. However, after being on amoxicillin for nearly 5 days, I had severe diarrhea and stopped taking it due to the fact I was constantly sitting on the loo! However, this was a highly effective medicine for me, much better than trimethoprim.”

SAD December 24, 2019

For Dental Abscess: “My tooth broke, there was an infection and I was in HORRIBLE pain, I took 2 Ibuprofen 800mg & 1000mg of Tylenol (not good for me I know) but I couldn’t handle the pain and it barely helped. I started the first dose of this antibiotic (850 mg twice a day) and the pain already subsided hours after taking it. I’ve used this medication before for tooth infections and it works WONDERS. I crush the antibiotic into yogurt and eat it that way and it doesn’t upset my stomach at all. I wanted to write this review for all my hypochondriacs (like me) I’m literally scared of every medicine I only take it if I absolutely must. But this antibiotic is totally worth it!”

lilyjulia1 January 10, 2017

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I was born with 4 kidneys, and it seems some of the other reviewers "side effects" were actually kidney/bladder infection symptoms. These infections spread fast, and can be lethal. Amoxacillin is a gentle savior for me, I still have 3 of 4 kidneys, after surgery and countless urinary tract infections, I trust it very much. It can take as little as 2 days to go from UTI to bladder, and a day or so more to kidneys, nip it in the bud, at first stinging. Because if you start to feel constipated, it's probably not, that is a kidney infection symptom. These infections scare the daylights out of me, it has been quite a while since I was hospitalized, amoxacillin is safe and much easier on the body than cipro.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 1, 2014

For Urinary Tract Infection: “Have been on amoxicillin for a long time. Twice when I tried to quit it, exactly on the 10th day of being off it, I ended up with a bad urinary tract infection. So amoxicillin was very effective in holding off urinary tract infections for me.”

Np May 2, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “I am pregnant, two of my bottom molars crumbled away due to pregnancy. I’ve been in agony for two months, both molars open, nerves exposed. NHS refusing to treat me because of COVID-19. I can’t eat properly, have indigestion because of poorly chewed food and severe pain day after day. I am absolutely exhausted as I can’t sleep, the pain triples at nights and all I am left as pregnant is paracetamol. now they both got infected, the gums have been red for a long time, the constant pin indescribable. All they gave me was amoxicillin, which after 4 days has made it only 10x worse, I am in tears all day long and at nights I am almost fainting from the pain, struggle to breathe, I can’t even lie down, turn head, I just want to scream. I have never been this desperate and sore. dentist I got to speak to over the phone wasn’t even sure if the antibiotics are going to work, but gave me a choice of nothing or that. then suggested I do my own filling at home with a home filling kit.”

FC June 10, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “Had an infection on a back molar and was prescribed amoxicillin because of the pandemic. I was on other pain relievers alongside this and the infection was gone within 4 days and no pain at all. But I’m here now a few weeks later (maybe a month) and the toothache is back, will call dentist to see if I have to take another course of it but it worked for the time I took it.”

Namee · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2019

For Dental Abscess: “I really thought it was my sinuses. My left side of my face was throbbing and full of pressure as well as my jaw and chin gums and teeth hurt to the touch. I kept taking the real Sudafed, Benadryl and Tylenol. Did not even put a dent in relief. Went to dentist Thursday May 2nd 2019. Saw a massive infection in bottom gum, hole in tooth and infection in jaw bone! Talk about pain!!!!! I took two 500 mg Amoxicillin as soon as I got the bottle. Then 1 every 8 hours. It's now Saturday and what a difference. Jaw still sore beyond belief but not throbbing. Ecstatic is how I feel now. Tired shaky moody stomach pain but that does not compare to a severe infection that spread to root and bone. Amoxicillin does work.”

Maiev · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

For Bacterial Infection: “I'll start off by saying I have a severe phobia of anything to do with vomit. This is relevant because I EXTENSIVELY research anything I have to put into my body, and I'll be honest, these reviews put me off taking my Amoxicillin for a few days. I had a tooth infection, I had to take a 500 mg pill every 8 hours for 7 days. To prepare myself, I bought some antibiotics, 4% fat cottage cheese, and yogurt. Two hours after each antibiotic, I took one probiotic pill. I experienced constipation and stomach cramps for one night. As someone who turns into a GIANT baby whenever they have any kind of tummy issues, I can honestly say it was bearable. Please don't take in all the negative reviews you read and be scared like I was. This antibiotic is very common and so many people use it every single day. People tend to leave reviews more often if they're negative. That's why I'm writing this out! Have a great day, everyone!”

Frequent UTIs · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “I've had many bladder infections over the years, to varying degrees-- and Amoxicillin has always worked for me, personally, when it comes to the worst of them. But everyone is different, so if it doesn't help your infection go away, switch to another antibiotic, but be warned that the current push is to prescribe a powerful class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolone, that have a rare, but potentially permanent side effect of nerve damage (and warning states that the effect can happen AFTER you've taken the medication). So, given the choice of antibiotics, I'd take Amoxicillin first. Yes, there are side effects, but minor and temporary. Just take probiotics, eat well, hydrate.”

Yo momma · Taken for less than 1 month March 21, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: “So. Amoxicillin works fantastic for a UTI BUT I'd never ever take it w/out a probiotic. I get a bottle of acidophilus (maybe a few billion cultures) at a big box store for under $6. Reason being is antibiotics kill bacteria both good and bad. My daughter gets thrush and Ive NEVER had a yeast infection until on amoxicillin for over 3 days. These Are side effects of good bacteria being killed off. My dr advised me on this & ive never had any more side effects!”

Anonymous April 14, 2012

Amoxil (amoxicillin) for Bladder Infection: “I started feeling better within a half of a day. This was good because I had been suffering for 6 days trying to get into the doctor. I feel much better now with no side effects. I had a terrible reaction in the past to Cipro so I was happy to try another medicine that worked better for me.”

Sam Nadi · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “I had one of my tooth infected twice in since 2018 I went to a dentist it was infected but the dentist told me to take it out which was good idea but unfortunately I didn’t agree the first time I took the amoxicillin antibiotics it’s amazing it killed all the bacteria infections I had then I felt better now it’s 2020 I got again infection in the same tooth with covid 19 I only could go to emergency dentist which was ok took an X-ray I got infection the tooth is dead not worth it to keep I was going to take it out it’s charging more money plus I got my insurance they don’t take it I ended up with amoxicillin 500mg is the best it took pain away which was unbearable but when I chew the upper surface touch lower one where infections is while squeezing the food my nerve ahh my god it gets me to a pain Again so the bottom line is amoxicillin is the best still”

Kammy November 30, 2019

For Dental Abscess: “I was prescribed 500 mg of amoxicillin 3 times a day for severe pain in my tooth that I'd rate a 10/10 for the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I'm a 34 year old female who's gone through a c-section and that pain does not even compare to this pain. I was also prescribed 800 mg of ibuprofen which barely helped as well as taking 1000mg of Tylenol which also barely made a dent in my pain. I started the medication Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving and didn't get much relief until Saturday morning when it was entirely gone. I would gargle salt water and tried orajel but the only thing that really got me through was constantly sipping and swishing ice cold water. It kept my mouth numb enough that I could handle but I was literally swishing every 5 minutes but it definitely helped. I'm currently on day 3 and was finally able to enjoy a plate of Thanksgiving leftovers! Just give the medication some time to work and definitely keep a bottle of ice cold water with you at all times!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 1, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “The pain on the upper right side teeth were due to eating trail mix which had huge Walnuts and Almonds. In assuming pieces of the nuts may have cut my gums as now there was a huge swollen pocket of gum hanging in that corner inside my mouth causing not only pain there, but it traveled to the jaw, then neck. I phoned my my dentist whom called in Amoxicillin for me. The swollen ‘beehive’ pocket went down the next day, and steadily decreasing. Pain gone. No side affects. Working for me.”

Bunk Chompers · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

For Dental Abscess: “Very painful mouth abscess infection, doc says I need tooth extracted. Was put on 500mg amoxicillin and within 12 hours the pain has already subsided greatly, down to basically non-existent. Tooth will get pulled in 2 days, and I'll continue and finish the 7 day treatment of amoxicillin. No side effects whatsoever.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2019

For Dental Abscess: “Infection under a tooth root canal with pain and some swelling. Amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day. Started to work within a few hours, felt so fantastic the next day. This stuff is better than any pain medication on earth if you need it! No side effects yet on day 2. I recommend not more than 2 beer or drinks as I had slight feeling in stomach after 3 beer, drank some water and was fine. Who rates antibiotics anyway? I mean really. I love amoxicillin!”

Celia August 30, 2020

For Bacterial Infection: “Bad tooth infection and dentist gave Amoxicillin 3 x 500 mg a day. Day 3 no side effects and pain gone/swelling reducing. I have had progressively bad back for 23 years due to epidural. Led to me not able to walk more than 9 paces without serious pain where if I don't sit down my legs will go from under me. I went shopping with my husband today and for the first time in 3 years I walked around, not one, but two 2 supermarkets instead of sitting in the car as I have done for 3 years. MRI scan INDICATED the only thing LEFT is an operation which could make better or worse. What is in this Amoxicillin that Has given me my body back? I have never felt so well - 20 years younger in fact. I hope when I finish course I don't get the pain back and can continue to walk. I think this needs investigating.”