User Reviews for Amoxicillin

Also known as: Amoxicot, Amoxil, Apo-Amoxi, Biomox, DisperMox, Moxatag, Moxilin, Trimox, Wymox

Learn more about Amoxicillin.

Helicobacter Pylori Infection 2 reviews 61 medications

Sinusitis 11 reviews 248 medications

6.6
Summary of Amoxicillin reviews 133 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Amoxicillin

For Dental Abscess: "I had a root canal abscess for quite some time. After much thought, I decided to go with the dentists suggestion to take the tooth out. It's been fantastic, even the bone graft seemed to heal very well. The a few days ago, six months after extraction, I woke up with pulsing pain in the area of the bone graft. I had some cephlixin antibiotics left over from another dentist prescription for the abscess from the year before, so even though I hate taking them I started on these antibiotics. I saw my dentist a day later, as soon as he could see me, and he suggested I swap to amoxicillin. The cephlexin had not really done much. Now, this morning after only two tablets, I am much better. I think it will clear up quickly."

Soo soo February 6, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bacterial Infection: "I have just started taking this medicine this time around for a very nasty cold that has gone bad!! My doctor is against giving this medicine to his clients so I feel lucky to have obtained it. I am a 61 yo man that has taken this particular pill several times in the past during my lifetime but it seems to me that it is no longer as potent as it once was. I know that my body may have become tolerant to this drug so that may be part of the affect but i don't think the pharmacy industry is giving the full potency as they once did either. I hope that by tomorrow I will feel much better because I am so sick of being sick!!!"

Sickie74 January 31, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Dental Abscess: "I had all 4 wisdom teeth removed PLUS 4 second molars (two on top and two on bottom). Doc prescribed this antibiotic with T3. Antibiotics caused my entire body to be itchy. Each time right after taking the antibiotic I get chills and then fever like symptoms...dizziness, shakes and nausea and very disoriented. Also caused hiccups everytime afterward. Goes away but the itching doesn't. The left side of my face is more swollen then the right one. It's day two. Was told it would be much worse at day 3. Not liking this antibiotic at all. But because I had so many teeth removed at once I have to stick with it and rinsing with salt water in order to avoid infection."

Audri13 January 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "it's more effective to get Augmentin 625 (Amoxicillin + Potassium Clavulanate) for tonsillitis."

nmssalman (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was born with 4 kidneys, and it seems some of the other reviewers "side effects" were actually kidney/bladder infection symptoms. These infections spread fast, and can be lethal. Amoxacillin is a gentle savior for me, I still have 3 of 4 kidneys, after surgery and countless urinary tract infections, I trust it very much. It can take as little as 2 days to go from UTI to bladder, and a day or so more to kidneys, nip it in the bud, at first stinging. Because if you start to feel constipated, it's probably not, that is a kidney infection symptom. These infections scare the daylights out of me, it has been quite a while since I was hospitalized, amoxacillin is safe and much easier on the body than cipro."

lilyjulia1 January 10, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Dental Abscess: "I took Amoxicillin twice, for an ear ache and for a tooth ache. Helped both times. No side effects as I took a big load of probiotics (heavy dosing at least every 2 hours...I even took some probiotics at the same time as the antibiotics...counterproductive as antibiotics kill probiotics but it put my mind at ease knowing that I was constantly replenishing the good bacteria in my body even if some of them were getting killed off). I take probiotics and other meds regularly (digestive enzymes, omega 3's, vitamins A-E, etc.) so I've had no problem rebounding from the potential long term effects of antibiotics. Even though I absolutely hate antibiotics, it's the only thing that worked for me with these two conditions."

Anon500 January 9, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bronchitis: "These results I'm reading here are not at all typical. If not for Amoxicillin, I would miss 3 or more days of work due to Bronchitis, but If I start taking it at the first sign of, I miss zero days. If not this, then a Zithromax Z-Pak (azithromycin) works great also."

The Finisher (taken for less than 1 month) December 31, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Went in to see the doctor for symptoms of bad swollen red tonsils and cringed everytime I swollowed, they gave me 1 dose there and within a few hours my throat was already starting to get better. I am relieved now, nobody wants to deal with this, especially on Christmas!"

Brandi341 December 26, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Strep was diagnosed at the 3rd day, and 1st dose of Amoxicillin cleared all the pus. Also had a steroid shot for swelling, but 1 Amox pill and I was 75% back to normal. I never take antibiotics EVER, so I think that really helped the drug kick ultimate germ ass."

David Robison December 24, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I've had many bladder infections over the years, to varying degrees-- and Amoxicillin has always worked for me, personally, when it comes to the worst of them. But everyone is different, so if it doesn't help your infection go away, switch to another antibiotic, but be warned that the current push is to prescribe a powerful class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolone, that have a rare, but potentially permanent side effect of nerve damage (and warning states that the effect can happen AFTER you've taken the medication). So, given the choice of antibiotics, I'd take Amoxicillin first. Yes, there are side effects, but minor and temporary. Just take probiotics, eat well, hydrate."

Frequent UTIs (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Otitis Media: "My son who was 7 months old at the time was prescribed amoxicillin for an ear infection (otitis media) that he had. This was the 3rd or 4th ear infection he had had since being born. Unfortunately, the medication was not effective at getting rid of his ear infection and so it had to be upgraded to Augmentin instead. The Augmentin cleared the ear infection up. My son had recurrent ear infections and ended up needing ear tubes (tympanostomy tubes) put in because of them."

AveMaria02 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Sinusitis: "I have taken this medication many times for sinusitis along with concurrent ear infections (otitis media). It has always cleared up my infection. The only drawback is that I am always prescribed the 875 mg pill and those pills are HUGE!"

AveMaria02 (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Only used this to cure my UTI so it wouldn't spread to a kidney infection. But the side effects are absolutely horrific! I can't deal with this much longer. I'm supposed to take 500mg/3x a day for 7 days but I'm cutting it short I'll do it for 5 days because it's day 3 and I already want to stop it. My side effects: •All day long nausea •Extreme constipation •Abdominal cramping/pain from the gas trapped and constipation •Diffuctly flactuating •NO appetite whatsoever, every food sounds disgusting and hard to eat •Anxiety and fear mixed with deep sadness •Fatigued and weak •Feeling like I'm slowly dying but trying to make it through each day, day by day •Dehabiliting - I hardly want to go out and do anything, need to sit out a lot."

milanpruz (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Dental Abscess: "Every time I take Amoxillin I get stomach /abdomen problems and can't control my bowels. Also I feel very anxious and can't think straight. I try not to do anything important as I can't focus at all. Other people I know have also experienced this (thankfully )as I thought I was getting mentally ill! These antibiotics really make you feel low but they work! I was prescribed 3 x 500 mg for a week after dental extraction but could only manage to take 2 a day. I quit after 4 days though I know its important to take the whole course. I try to stay out of the sun when Im on this drug as symptoms are worse if you sunbathe."

always ill (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bronchitis: "I'm 36 years old and have never had a issue with taking any meds other than Lortabs. Despite all of the reviews here, I was sure that I would be okay. The first night taking it, I noticed a lingering headache. I figured, I can deal with a small headache if this is going to clear me up. Well night two, the diarrhea started. The only reason why this was such a problem was because I was on my menstrual cycle as well. However, the diarrhea was not that bad, so I decided to take it again. Day three, my period stopped. I normally have a 6 day cycle, but it was completely gone. I also had severe stomach pain and diarrhea like water. I was in worse pain taking this med. I do not recommend this drug to anyone!!"

Do Not Use This (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Dental Abscess: "I just started taking this medication 4 days ago to prevent infection from wisdom tooth extraction surgery. It has been making me extremely tired and I never had this problem. Today I slept for a total of 17 hours and the first day a total of 14 hours. I have never felt so tired in my life. I have no energy and have had a migraine all day."

Tay2014 September 5, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I always take Azo when I find I have a UTI. I take it with the antibiotic. It immediately gets rid of all the symptoms until the antibiotic can kick in"

Anonymous August 18, 2016

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "The drug was effective after the seventh day , I was suffering from tonsil stones and sore throat , probably strep throat , on the 7 day it's gone and the only reaction I had with the drug was a upset stomach."

Sartaj Singh (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bacterial Infection: "I got put on these today as I got a really bad abscess around my gum and tooth my left cheek is so swollen I can't swollen or eat anything. I've taken the first 3 but nothing has changed seems like it's getting worst maybe it's just me and it's too soon to tell but no side effects for me what so ever just make me abit sleepy.. This is prob the worst thing I've ever experienced so bloody painful and uncomfortable "

Sararosax July 9, 2016

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I'm on Day 5 out of 7 and am calling it quits and try a different one tomorrow. The side effects hit me all at once on day 3. I got extreme exhaustion and muscle weakness. I couldn't even lift my arms without feeling exhausted. I got really irritable and extreme mood swings (yelling, crying). I got heart palipitations and extreme anxiety/paranoia. Strange rubber feeling in mouth, weird thoughts. On day 4 I started hallucinating a bit (nothing extreme but it was terrifying). Every muscle in my body aches. Oh and I checked to see if my infection improved with an at home test and it's still there! I quit, this is honestly the worst drug I have ever had in my life and didn't do anything. I can't wait for this to wear off."

Wintercat2 July 5, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm taking for my gum infection, 500 MG caps 3x a day. The first two days on the medication the side effects were pretty bad; extremely dizzy, sleep disturbance, headache, super strong appetite, dysphoria, severe indigestion, and extreme nausea. I'm now on day 3 of 7 and my mouth pain caused by an infection in my gums is gone. I'm still experiencing side effects, but they are at a level 3 or 4 instead of a 9 on the first day. I am so grateful to have found this new dentist. Another dentist gave me a different antibiotic a few months ago for the same issue and it didn't work at all. I really hope this one fully gets rid of the infection. I can't believe how fast it worked!"

Bianca11 (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2016

22 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Tonsillitis/Pharyngitis: "Was taking amoxicillin 875 mg twice a day tablets had Excessive tiredness,Chest pain and Upset stomach. first pill ever that made me so sleepy ever day, I'm 18 so it might work different for other people."

momo,raquel June 22, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bacterial Infection: "This drug was really effective in getting rid of my infection but the side effects were difficult to deal with. The tablets made me so exhausted I really struggled to stay awake all day. My eyes would droop at my desk and I felt lightheaded and dizzy. I found it extremely hard to concentrate. I had to leave work early taking this tablet because I could not focus and many times when my colleagues helped drive me home, they had to help me walk to the car because I was so weak and unfocused I couldn't walk in a straight line. I also felt nauseous for most of the day and had mild stomach cramps. It was wonderful for the infection I had but was the hardest week coping with the exhaustion and drowsiness."

Nicolahbn June 9, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Bacterial Infection: "Got terrible reaction with redness and itching all over my body. Horrible itching despite caladryl, changing to Z-pak, etc. BE VERY CAREFUL AND RE TESTED FOR REACTION TO PENICILLIN-like DRUGS BEFORE ANY INTERVENTION."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

For Dental Abscess: "I have never been allergic to amoxicillin (500mg) but I received it last week after a dentist visit to take 3 times daily for 7 days. I originally thought nothing of the symptoms until yesterday when it hurt really bad to urinate. But last night it seemed to go away but today the pain is back. I looked up the symptoms today and yes I had diaherra and itching last week (didn't know why) until now. Also tired, itchy and still hurting when I urinate. I stopped taking the medicine because the pain is so bad. I will talk to my dentist when I go back this week but I have never had issues with Amoxicillin. Something must have changed."

lady di 2010 May 4, 2016