User Reviews for Amoxicillin to treat Otitis Media

Also known as: Amoxil, Apo-Amoxi

Amoxicillin Rating Summary

5.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 73 medications used in the treatment of Otitis Media.

Reviews for Amoxicillin

Mango · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2020

“I had ears infection and fever twice in Dec. I took amoxicillin two times antibiotics. I think my ear infection did not clear up. I started to have lots of imbalance pressure in my ears. I felt fluid in my middle ears for more than two weeks, which is very annoying. I have been taking Amoxicillin for the fourth days. I still feel the fluid inside my middle ears. My hearing is back no more pain but I sometimes feel itchy inside my ears. I am so worry, how can I get rid the fluid... help!”

Jet159 · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2020

“Honestly, amoxycillin worked well, for my ear infection and I didn't have any side effects during the entire week I took them. However, after a few days I had some gastrointestinal issues, including acid reflux and diarrhea- just a little bit of a bother, nothing too severe. If you're worried about this medication, don't be. It is 100x more mild than the doxycycline I took in the past.”

FD · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2020

“i started this medication amoxicillin a week ago today and I can’t tell wether it’s working or not, or is the infection just running it’s course. I still have fullness and some ear pain behind the hair, the inside of my ear still itches from time to time, I really think the home remedies are working better than the meds, I’ll finish it all and hopefully I start to feel better in the next few days.”

cfell · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

“Amoxicillin did not work very well for me and my ear infection, I was switched to Cefdinir after 3 days.”

Mike April 14, 2019

“It took a while to clear up my ears, but it worked. I had bad gut problems as a side effect. PROTIP: Antibitotics kill the good gut colonies, so you will need to replenish them with yogurt or probiotics tabs while taking your meds. This will get rid of the diarrhea issues. I ate two little packs of yogurt per amoxicillin pill, and that solved the issue.”

Becksx · Taken for less than 1 month April 10, 2019

“Have had a blocked ear 5 days now went to the doctor last night as the pain was unbearable, I absolute no hearing in my left ear and was really concerned. I have been prescribed amoxicillin 500mg and just have taken two doses. Had eased pain but there is still a dull pain still there. Still no sign on my hearing coming back hopefully does soon, driving me mad! Upset stomach from this antibiotic which is one side effect”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2019

“Worked great, no side effects. And I previously had amoxicillin rash after about 7 days of taking it, so I successfully took amoxicillin again finishing the whole course without having recurrence of the rash. It's important to know (which you can read in articles on pubmed.gov) that having the late-onset amoxicillin rash once doesn't mean you will have it the next time you take the drug. With all antibiotics, it's normal to take probiotics or eat yogurt labeled "with active cultures" to protect yourself from antibiotics associated diarrhea, but amoxicillin doesn't tend to effect the gram-negative gut bacteria, so it's not as big concern. Amoxicillin isn't like ciprofloxacin, levofloxacin, or moxifloxacin (fluoroquinolones) -- those antibiotics leave people permanently disabled for the rest of their lives.”

jmcd2017 · Taken for less than 1 month May 31, 2017

“This medication did not clear up the infection very well at all. After noticing an odorless discharge coming from my right ear for two days when getting out of bed in the morning, I went to my local Urgent Care (on a weekend) and was prescribed Amoxicillin 500 MG and took it three times for almost 10 days. When following up with my primary doctor about a week later, he explained to me that my infection was clearing up, but still present. He also went on to add that regular Amoxicillin has its limitations with certain bacteria and that more often than not, it does not clear up the entire infection. He then prescribed Augmentin 875 MG for seven to ten days, which I have taken before for infections like this with successful results.”

AveMaria02 · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2016

“My son who was 7 months old at the time was prescribed amoxicillin for an ear infection (otitis media) that he had. This was the 3rd or 4th ear infection he had had since being born. Unfortunately, the medication was not effective at getting rid of his ear infection and so it had to be upgraded to Augmentin instead. The Augmentin cleared the ear infection up. My son had recurrent ear infections and ended up needing ear tubes (tympanostomy tubes) put in because of them.”

Penel0pe · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2015

“Amoxicillin is the drug of choice by my doctor/dentist from tooth infection to bronchitis. It always works for me with no problems or side effect. Except for the last two times I was on this med I notice I've been having headache and I feel really tired and feels like I have the flu, my throat is sore and itchy and I want to keep coughing and my back feels cold inside. I know now for sure it's the amoxicillin and will inform my Dr. My ear pain is disappearing so its fighting off my ear infection and my hearing is back to normal. But I will definitely finish this round even with the side effect im feeling, because not being able to hear properly had freak me out and is a scarier prospect”

JJEC · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2013

“This medication works amazingly for ear infections. I have had more ear infections than I can count in my life both as a child and an adult. I have had ruptured ear drums, double ear infections, tubes, and surgery to repair my ear drums. This medication has always relieved symptoms. For mild to moderate infections it starts relieving pain in 12-48 hours (but finish the whole prescription or it will return) and for severe or ruptured ear drums it can take up to 5 days but hey it does the trick. Just take ibuprofen around the clock too as it will speed up the process due to anti-inflammatory properties. I get nausea with this medicine but only when I haven't eaten or am very overtired & always get yeast infection. Dr. can prescribe medicine in advance for this.”

shaleia · Taken for less than 1 month July 10, 2013

“I was diagnosed with inner ear infection 5 days ago and prescribed amoxicillin 500mg three times a day. I'm a nurse and don't go to the doctor but the pain was unbearable. Within 24 hrs of taking this, I no longer needed pain medicines, but still had a dull pain. Within 48 hrs the pain was gone. This antibiotic worked great for me.”

PhilHarris · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2013

“Starts to work after the first dose. I have taken this for ear infections as well as sinus and chest infections and it is always very effective. Symptoms start to ease in around 12 hrs and are almost completely gone with 48 to 72 hrs. Always finish your entire prescription though to help avoid antibiotic resistant bacteria and to stop the infection from returning. Only downfall is that it can upset your stomach so always take it with food. Depending on your condition, you might need to use other medications or remedies along with amoxicillin to ease other symptoms. Some pharmacies offer this on their $4 prescription plans.”

Anonymous June 19, 2012

“Although the swelling in my ear has gone down greatly, I'm four days into treatment and still in pain and my ear will not drain even though I can feel the fluid. This medicine is making me feel VERY ill. Nauseous, dizzy, loopy and very anxious. ”

Nice Kilt April 12, 2011

“Perforation in my right tympanic membrane (eardrum) from a lingering upper respiratory infection causing inner ear infection. Given amoxicillin and Vicodin. Vicodin did not touch the pain. Had to lay my head on a heating pad. The amoxicillin kicked in on the second day, and the pain lessened gradually. I would rather have ten babies in a row than another ear infection. I haven't noticed any side effects from the amoxicillin yet.”