Amoxicillin Side Effects
For the Consumer
Applies to amoxicillin: oral capsule, oral powder for suspension, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet extended release
Along with its needed effects, amoxicillin may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking amoxicillin:
Incidence Not Known
- Abdominal or stomach cramps or tenderness
- back, leg, or stomach pains
- black, tarry stools
- bleeding gums
- blistering, peeling, or loosening of the skin
- blood in the urine
- bloody nose
- chest pain
- clay-colored stools
- dark urine
- diarrhea, watery and severe, which may also be bloody
- difficulty with breathing
- difficulty with swallowing
- fast heartbeat
- feeling of discomfort
- general body swelling
- heavier menstrual periods
- hives or welts
- increased thirst
- inflammation of the joints
- joint or muscle pain
- loss of appetite
- muscle aches
- nausea or vomiting
- pain in the lower back
- pain or burning while urinating
- painful or difficult urination
- pale skin
- pinpoint red spots on the skin
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- red, irritated eyes
- redness, soreness, or itching skin
- shortness of breath
- sore throat
- sores, ulcers, or white spots in the mouth or on the lips
- sores, welting, or blisters
- sudden decrease in the amount of urine
- swollen, lymph glands
- tightness in the chest
- unpleasant breath odor
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- unusual weight loss
- vomiting of blood
- watery or bloody diarrhea
- yellow eyes or skin
Some side effects of amoxicillin may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Bad, unusual, or unpleasant (after) taste
- change in taste
Incidence Not Known
- black, hairy tongue
- changes in behavior
- discoloration of the tooth (brown, yellow, or gray staining)
- trouble with sleeping
- unable to sleep
- white patches in the mouth or throat or on the tongue
- white patches with diaper rash
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to amoxicillin: oral capsule, oral powder for reconstitution, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet dispersible, oral tablet extended release
Common (1% to 10%): Diarrhea, nausea, abdominal pain
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Vomiting
Postmarketing reports: Sore mouth/tongue[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Erythema, exanthema, rash
Frequency not reported: Erythematous maculopapular rashes, erythema multiforme, Stevens-Johnson Syndrome, bullous dermatitis, exfoliative dermatitis, toxic epidermal necrolysis/Lyell's syndrome, acute generalized exanthematous pustulosis, maculopapular rash, erythema nodosum, pemphigoid reactions[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Vulvovaginal mycotic infection[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Headache, taste perversion
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Convulsion, dizziness, hyperkinesia
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Anaphylaxis, serum sickness-like reaction
Frequency not reported: Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction[Ref]
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Crystalluria, interstitial nephritis
Frequency not reported: Nephropathy[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Candidiasis, fungal/mycotic infection
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Mucocutaneous candidiasis
Very rare (less than 0.01%): Hepatitis, cholestatic jaundice, AST increased, ALT increased
Frequency not reported: Hepatic dysfunction, hepatic cholestasis, acute cytolytic hepatitis[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Phlebitis, injection site pain[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Joint pain, arthralgia[Ref]
1. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. "Product Information. Moxatag (amoxicillin)." Fera Pharmaceuticals, Locust Valley, NY.
4. "Product Information. Amoxil (amoxicillin)." SmithKline Beecham, Philadelphia, PA.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
- Can penicillin treat chlamydia?
- Can I drink alcohol while taking amoxicillin?
- What is the normal daily dose of 500mg amoxicillin capsules for chest infections?
- Can amoxicillin be used to treat a bacterial vaginitis infection?
- What is the recommended dosage of amoxicillin for a 14 year old child?
- I have a sinus Infection. How often should I take 500mg amoxicillin?
- How many times a day should a male adult take amoxicillin 500mg for an ear infection?
- Side effects - can you safely consume alcohol while taking amoxicillin clavulanate?
- If I am allergic to penicillin, is it safe to use amoxicillin?
- If people are allergic to amoxicillin can they take cephalexin?
- Can you drink alcohol with antibiotics (amoxicillin)?
- Amoxicillin - does it have sulfa or penicillin in it?
- If I can not take penicillin, is amoxicillin the same or do I need to avoid it?
- Are there any foods I should avoid while taking amoxicillin?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- Can you take antibiotics while pregnant?
- Does amoxicillin expire? Is it safe to take after expiration?
More about amoxicillin
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 191 Reviews
- Drug class: aminopenicillins
- Amoxicillin Capsules and Tablets
- Amoxicillin Chewable Tablets
- Amoxicillin Extended-Release Tablets
- Amoxicillin Suspension
- Amoxicillin (Advanced Reading)