Can you drink alcohol with amoxicillin?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 23, 2020.
E.g. beer or wine
Yes, you can drink alcohol while taking the antibiotic amoxicillin. The alcohol will not stop amoxicillin from working. Moderation is key.
However, many health professionals will recommend you avoid alcohol to give your body the best chance possible to fight the infection.
Drinking alcohol can lead to dehydration, interrupt normal sleep, and may hinder the body’s natural ability to heal itself.
There are certain antibiotics where alcohol must be avoided such as metronidazole, tinidazole and Bactrim because the combination may result in a severe reaction. Drinking any amount of alcohol with these medications can result in side effects such as flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and rapid heart rate.
There are no such side effects issues when alcohol is taken with amoxicillin.
For a list of the most significant antibiotics that interact with alcohol see the table here:
Or look up your antibiotic in the interactions checker here:
Related Medical Questions
- What are the best antibiotics for a tooth infection?
- Does amoxicillin expire? Is it safe to take after expiration?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- If I am allergic to penicillin, is it safe to use amoxicillin?
- What's the difference between amoxicillin and penicillin?
- Amoxicillin for ear infection: Take how many times a day?
- Does amoxicillin help with tooth infection and pain?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- Can you safely consume alcohol while taking amoxicillin?
- If people are allergic to amoxicillin can they take cephalexin?
- How often should I take amoxicillin for a sinus infection?
- What's the normal daily dose of amoxicillin 500mg for chest infections?
- Are there any foods I should avoid while taking amoxicillin?
- Amoxicillin - does it have sulfa or penicillin in it?
- Can amoxicillin be used to treat a bacterial vaginitis infection?