Can you drink alcohol with amoxicillin?
E.g. beer or wine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on April 23, 2020.
Yes, you can drink alcohol while taking the antibiotic amoxicillin. The alcohol will not stop amoxicillin from working. Moderation is key.
However, many health professionals will recommend you avoid alcohol to give your body the best chance possible to fight the infection.
Drinking alcohol can lead to dehydration, interrupt normal sleep, and may hinder the body’s natural ability to heal itself.
There are certain antibiotics where alcohol must be avoided such as metronidazole, tinidazole and Bactrim because the combination may result in a severe reaction. Drinking any amount of alcohol with these medications can result in side effects such as flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and rapid heart rate.
There are no such side effects issues when alcohol is taken with amoxicillin.
For a list of the most significant antibiotics that interact with alcohol see the table here:
Or look up your antibiotic in the interactions checker here:
Related Medical Questions
- Does amoxicillin expire? Is it safe to take after expiration?
- If I am allergic to penicillin, is it safe to use amoxicillin?
- How many times a day should a male adult take amoxicillin 500mg for an ear infection?
- What's the difference between amoxicillin and penicillin?
- Side effects - can you safely consume alcohol while taking amoxicillin clavulanate?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- If people are allergic to amoxicillin can they take cephalexin?