If I can not take penicillin, is amoxicillin the same or do I need to avoid it?
I took penicillin when I was young and it made me sick. I am trying to find out if they are the same, or close, and should I take it or not?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com Last updated on Apr 15, 2019.
Official Answerby Drugs.com
Yes, amoxicillin belongs to the penicillin class of antibiotics. You shouldn't take it if you are allergic to penicillin.
For more information visit: https://www.drugs.com/mcd/penicillin-allergy
Related Medical Questions
- Can penicillin treat chlamydia?
- Can I drink alcohol while taking amoxicillin?
- What is the normal daily dose of 500mg amoxicillin capsules for chest infections?
- Can amoxicillin be used to treat a bacterial vaginitis infection?
- What is the recommended dosage of amoxicillin for a 14 year old child?
- How often should I take amoxicillin for a sinus infection?
- How many times a day should a male adult take amoxicillin 500mg for an ear infection?
- Amoxicillin Information for Consumers
- Amoxicillin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Amoxicillin (detailed)