How many times a day should a male adult take amoxicillin 500mg for an ear infection?
My husband is healthy and on no other medication. Should amoxicillin be taken on an empty stomach or with food? Also how many times a day should he take it?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 26, 2020.
"Usual Adult Dose for Otitis Media:
250 mg to 500 mg orally 3 times a day for 10 to 14 days; alternatively, 500 to 875 mg orally twice a day may be administered"
Amoxicillin is usually taken three times a day, but may be given twice a day.
Amoxicillin can be taken with or without food - food has no effect on the medicine.
Related Medical Questions
- Can you drink alcohol with amoxicillin?
- Does amoxicillin expire? Is it safe to take after expiration?
- If I am allergic to penicillin, is it safe to use amoxicillin?
- What's the difference between amoxicillin and penicillin?
- Side effects - can you safely consume alcohol while taking amoxicillin clavulanate?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- If people are allergic to amoxicillin can they take cephalexin?
- Amoxicillin Information for Consumers
- Amoxicillin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Amoxicillin (detailed)