Amoxicillin for ear infection: Take how many times a day?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 17, 2022.
My husband is healthy and on no other medication. Should amoxicillin 500mg be taken on an empty stomach or with food? Also how many times a day should he take it?
"Usual Adult Dose for Otitis Media:
250 mg to 500 mg orally 3 times a day for 10 to 14 days; alternatively, 500 to 875 mg orally twice a day may be administered"
Amoxicillin is usually taken three times a day, but may be given twice a day.
Amoxicillin can be taken with or without food - food has no effect on the medicine.
Related medical questions
- What are the best antibiotics for a tooth infection?
- Can you drink alcohol with amoxicillin?
- Does amoxicillin expire? Is it safe to take after expiration?
- Amoxicillin rash: When should I be concerned?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- What's the difference between amoxicillin and penicillin?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat strep throat?
- Does amoxicillin help with tooth infection and pain?
- If I am allergic to penicillin, is it safe to use amoxicillin?
- What medications can affect your taste or smell?
- Can you safely consume alcohol while taking amoxicillin?
- Amoxicillin Information for Consumers
- Amoxicillin Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Amoxicillin (detailed)
Related support groups
- Amoxicillin (189 questions, 296 members)
- Infections (579 questions, 967 members)
- Otitis Media (33 questions, 59 members)