User Reviews for Amoxicillin to treat Bacterial Infection

Also known as: Amoxil, Apo-Amoxi

Amoxicillin has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 73 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Infection. 60% of those users who reviewed Amoxicillin reported a positive effect, while 22% reported a negative effect.

Amoxicillin Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 1051 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Amoxicillin

Frog · Taken for less than 1 month January 26, 2021

“I have an abscessed wisdom tooth I was prescribed 875mg amoxicillon for my infection. I have been taking it for about 2 days and I'm starting to feel relief but I'm still going to have my wisdom tooth removed.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 10, 2020

“Today is day 7 of my 10 day round of Amoxicillin for an infected toe nail. Yes, it clears up the infection. But, not without intense lingering headaches all day long, starting when I first wake up. Tylenol has very little effect on the pain. Laying in a quiet dark room helps a little bit for about an hour, then it's back to throbbing, ringing ears and nausea. It feels like an intense migraine and tension headache combined. I am prone to yeast infections with Amoxicillin, so I took two rounds of Diflucan as well. That wasn't the issue this time.”

searcher · Taken for less than 1 month November 16, 2020

“Got some takeaway food and then days later got tummy pains that I have never had before in my life. They were persistent would not go away, in fact got worse. I knew I was in trouble. I got some amoxicillin and I spread three pills over 2 days, and it worked.I took it on a empty stomach works best if you don't drink milk or juice. I would say don't over do this drug, but it works infection is gone. Side effects were mild because I did not over do it.”

Maiev · Taken for less than 1 month November 11, 2019

“I'll start off by saying I have a severe phobia of anything to do with vomit. This is relevant because I EXTENSIVELY research anything I have to put into my body, and I'll be honest, these reviews put me off taking my Amoxicillin for a few days. I had a tooth infection, I had to take a 500 mg pill every 8 hours for 7 days. To prepare myself, I bought some antibiotics, 4% fat cottage cheese, and yogurt. Two hours after each antibiotic, I took one probiotic pill. I experienced constipation and stomach cramps for one night. As someone who turns into a GIANT baby whenever they have any kind of tummy issues, I can honestly say it was bearable. Please don't take in all the negative reviews you read and be scared like I was. This antibiotic is very common and so many people use it every single day. People tend to leave reviews more often if they're negative. That's why I'm writing this out! Have a great day, everyone!”

Celia August 30, 2020

“Bad tooth infection and dentist gave Amoxicillin 3 x 500 mg a day. Day 3 no side effects and pain gone/swelling reducing. I have had progressively bad back for 23 years due to epidural. Led to me not able to walk more than 9 paces without serious pain where if I don't sit down my legs will go from under me. I went shopping with my husband today and for the first time in 3 years I walked around, not one, but two 2 supermarkets instead of sitting in the car as I have done for 3 years. MRI scan INDICATED the only thing LEFT is an operation which could make better or worse. What is in this Amoxicillin that Has given me my body back? I have never felt so well - 20 years younger in fact. I hope when I finish course I don't get the pain back and can continue to walk. I think this needs investigating.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2020

“I have had a bad toothache for a few days, and by the fourth day and I thought I was going to die!! My ear and tooth/crown was hurting like I have never felt before. My dentist called in amoxicillan and after one day I FEEL better!! This works well for an infected tooth . I promise you that!”

LA Dude December 2, 2019

“I had three 20+ yr old crowns replaced on 3 molars . Within 4 days after delivery of the new permanent crowns I started getting signs of an infection (I was not able to put pressure on one of the teeth) of the old root canal under newly replaced crowned tooth - I saw a dentist on the first available day after regular x-rays did not show any thing, he did a CT scan and it showed an infection on one of the roots . I was diagnosed with old root canal infection, and was prescribed Amoxicillin with Ibuprofen.. My Diagnosis - are pretty much having lost the infected tooth. At this point 7 days later and on the last day of taking my prescription 500 mg 3 times a day - all of my symptoms are gone, pain subsided on the initial day of taking it with a big dose of Ibuprofen , Day-2 no pain but soreness was still present, day 3 no pain , little soreness and ability to chew on that infected tooth Now on day 7 anything associated with root canal infection is gone”

greatful · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2015

“I had tooth ache for days, no sleep and was taking pain medication. Within only one hour of taking amoxicilin 500 mg it was feeling better and the pain went away in two hours and has not returned. The tooth has hole down to the root but at least now I can sleep till it gets pulled”

C7734 March 16, 2016

“Im 17 years old and have been using Amoxicillin for the last month to keep my abscess tooth Infection down... i have never had to drain my tooth at all... It works great with no side effects for me... I did get a little bit of diarrhea but not much at all... No pain anywhere... NOW you do you need to know that everyone's body will react Differently to Amoxicillin So please don't go by what the reviews say... Test it out for your self...”

Lauren · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2020

“Have IBS, recently got worse so was giving this antibiotic incase I had an infection. Felt fine day 1, day 2 began to feel nauseous, abdominal pains, acid reflux, extremely tired, loss of appetite, headache and feeling very ill in general. I was taking 3x 500g everyday but only managed to get to day 2 till I stoped. Wouldn’t recommend this antibiotic if you already have stomach problems!!”

Shellyjjones17 July 3, 2017

“All weekend been in agony with tooth ache. I was climbing walls with the pain I was in. Being 9 months pregnant too not a lot I can take for pain. Only paracetamol which never touched it. Managed to get appointment with my dentist and he said I have got abscesses inside tooth he prescribed amoxicillin 250mg 3 a day. Took 1st one straight after dentist at 12pm pain was still there and was killing me. By time I took second one. The pain has eased loads. Don't know if it's the amoxicillin or not. But what a relief so I'll sleep better tonight. I think it's the amoxicillin doing it's job.”

Bianca11 · Taken for less than 1 month June 25, 2016

“I'm taking for my gum infection, 500 MG caps 3x a day. The first two days on the medication the side effects were pretty bad; extremely dizzy, sleep disturbance, headache, super strong appetite, dysphoria, severe indigestion, and extreme nausea. I'm now on day 3 of 7 and my mouth pain caused by an infection in my gums is gone. I'm still experiencing side effects, but they are at a level 3 or 4 instead of a 9 on the first day. I am so grateful to have found this new dentist. Another dentist gave me a different antibiotic a few months ago for the same issue and it didn't work at all. I really hope this one fully gets rid of the infection. I can't believe how fast it worked!”

Sararosax July 9, 2016

“I got put on these today as I got a really bad abscess around my gum and tooth my left cheek is so swollen I can't swollen or eat anything. I've taken the first 3 but nothing has changed seems like it's getting worst maybe it's just me and it's too soon to tell but no side effects for me what so ever just make me abit sleepy.. This is prob the worst thing I've ever experienced so bloody painful and uncomfortable ”

CrownedOne April 23, 2020

“I have been having pain in my back molar off and on for about a week and a half. Right above my crown in my back left top molar. Mostly in the gums. Because of the 2020 pandemic lockdown I was trying to wait it out. While talking to my hygienist friend, she became very concerned and advised me that I could have an abscessed tooth which is a pocket of pus that can form in different parts of a tooth as a result of a bacterial infection. That it sounded like it was in the root of the tooth and the pus was pushing out forming a bump in the gums. The dentist confirmed this. After only one day of the bump showing on my gums and one day usage of the prescription amoxicillin the bump already reduced to non-visible. And the pain has also reduced. I was also warned that if the pain returned, which it may. That we may have to remove the small molar. I am hopeful that this will work as I am already seeing great results and already focusing on rebuilding my immune system following this dose of antibiotics.”

Mirmir25 April 24, 2017

“Taking amoxicillin for tooth infection the first day of taking it was horrible tooth hurt more than it did before I started but I think that was the drug doing it's job trying to fight off the infection second day same situation still more pain the third day was great finally no more pain from toothache! Pain free only thing is I woke up with swollen gums. Side effects from this drug is hard to bare especially for me since I work 9-9. I was very tired on daily basis my body was weak , stomach pain, woke up in the middle of night not being able to sleep. I mean side effects were horrible but I only had to take This drug for 7 days until I was able to get the tooth pulled . Thank God”

G · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2020

“Had a nasty tooth infection from an untreated wisdom tooth and felt like it was going to be the end of me. Didn’t handle the infection in time, had nausea, abdominal pain, the works. (Hence, felt like death). I’m 115~ lbs, and they put me on 875mg 2x a day. The first night I could feel the difference! Amazing stuff!”

Jimsgtx · Taken for less than 1 month September 12, 2018

“I never liked the dentist and haven't gone for 35 years. About 25 years ago my gums would bleed every time I brushed or ate something. I would wake up every day with blood in my mouth and on my pillow. I would brush every day but the bleeding would still go on. I got bit by my cat 2 months ago and the doctor put me on Amoxicillin for 7 days. My gums are great now. I brush and floss 3 times a day and no more bleeding!! 25 years of misery until my cat bit my big toe!”

bswan September 18, 2018

“My oral surgeon prescribed amoxicillin 500mg three times daily for 7 days for an infected wisdom tooth prior to surgical extraction of four impacted wisdom teeth. After two days on the antibiotic, symptoms associated with the infected tooth began to subside (i.e. decreased inflammation, pain relief). Prior to that I couldn't sleep without Orajel, 800mg of ibuprofen, and 50mg of diphenhydramine. I experienced minor digestive side effects (e.g. minor abdominal pain and 2-3 episodes of loose stool) after a few days on the medication; however, the medication was well tolerated overall and the relief was much appreciated.”

Utpe · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

“I was given Amoxicillin 500mg 3x daily for 7 days due to an infection. On first taking it, nothing really happened. By the second, I started getting flu-like symptoms. Third - major fatigue. Fourth - irritability. Fifth - diarrhea. Finally, on the sixth/seventh, that's when I noticed it had gotten rid of those nasty bacteria, and was my normal self again. As a plus, it cleared up my skin. Glad I was able to see it through, despite the side effects.”

Chipotle March 13, 2020

“I woke up to my jaw swollen. I went to the dentist and they revealed I had an impacted wisdom tooth and it was abcessed as well. . I'm 31 turning 32 while this is happening so this is all very strange . Anyways the dentist prescribed me amoxicillin and after taking it for a day I could really tell the difference. I continued the prescription all the way and the pain and swelling was probably 80% gone . This was over a ten day span while my surgery to get the tooth extraction was supposed to get approved by my insurance . A week passed and my symptoms came back heavy and in full effect and I still hadn't heard anything from insurance or dentist so I went back in. The dentist prescribed me amoxicillin again, this is the first night I've been on it again and the swelling doesn't seem to be going down like last time but I'm going to try and be patient. My fingers are crossed that they will get this tooth out of my face soon .”

Toothache · Taken for less than 1 month October 8, 2019

“Infected upper wisdom tooth, causing pain in lower jaw, neck ear and head. 500mg 3x daily. Works great but not immediately. Usually a couple days and your infection will subside. The side effects are watery bowel. Probiotics such as yogurt etc, did not help my side effects from amoxicillin.”

hp · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2018

“Age 65. I was prescribed and took Amoxicillin 875 twice a day for ten days for a tooth infection. I have not had antibiotics for decades and it worked wonders not only curing my tooth infection but also a persistent ear infection which had been bothering me on and off for quite a while. Gone! (;>) I also took a HSO probiotic and glass of kefir daily during the course and my stomach/GI/BM are feeling and functioning great normally. Two thumbs up!”

Bridgetina · Taken for less than 1 month March 16, 2015

“I've been prescribed amoxicillin many times for many different infections. Most recently, for strep throat. I'm on day 2 of my 10-day treatment, and I've never had a problem with side effects other than a little drowsiness. Works like a charm any time I have strep, an ear infection, or UTI. Just wish I could still get it in liquid form as an adult!!”

pebblesz · Taken for less than 1 month August 6, 2013

Amoxil (amoxicillin): “Had my wisdom tooth pulled and I'm hard headed and hate all medications and ended up with a sinus infection and it was painful. Finally took my prescribed medication of Amoxil and I felt it working 17hrs later. First time I finished all of my medication.”

Lunablue March 19, 2017

“I just wanted to point out that it's important to take as doctor prescribes The common cold is caused by a virus so that is why your doctor doesn't want to give you antibiotics unless it progresses in to a bacterial infection. You don't want to take antibiotics unless you have to. And you don't want to take them continually for more then 7-10 days or for to short of time. Bacteria becomes immune to antibiotics and can become stronger where your body can't fight them in the future. They are needed in bacterial infections quite often but don't just take any antibiotics for the hell of it or with out a lot of research as they aren't good for you over all.”

Nicolahbn June 9, 2016

“This drug was really effective in getting rid of my infection but the side effects were difficult to deal with. The tablets made me so exhausted I really struggled to stay awake all day. My eyes would droop at my desk and I felt lightheaded and dizzy. I found it extremely hard to concentrate. I had to leave work early taking this tablet because I could not focus and many times when my colleagues helped drive me home, they had to help me walk to the car because I was so weak and unfocused I couldn't walk in a straight line. I also felt nauseous for most of the day and had mild stomach cramps. It was wonderful for the infection I had but was the hardest week coping with the exhaustion and drowsiness.”

Evelyn · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2020

“I have a gland infection. The amoxicillin medicine started to work but wasn't strong enough or long enough to get the job done. It ran out & my doc won't give me anything else because I had a drug, even though it didn't work. I had to suffer for weeks because she swore it would go away. It got worse. I can only eat liquids. Had to have a CT scan. Waiting on results. Pretty sure she still won't see anything. I need an ENT now!”

Rachael · Taken for less than 1 month August 12, 2020

“Had agonising pain from a suspected abscess from wisdom tooth. Was prescribed amoxicillin to be takes 3 times a day. I am now on day 3 and the pain is even worse than it was yesterday. By the looks of it I’m going to have to have the tooth extracted urgently.”