User Reviews for Amoxicillin to treat Dental Abscess

Also known as: Amoxil, Apo-Amoxi

Amoxicillin Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 18 medications used in the treatment of Dental Abscess.

Reviews for Amoxicillin

Lopt · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2020

“At first I was convinced the antibiotic will not work as the pain felt like it was getting worse everyday and I was ready to go back to the dentist. Only after completing 4 out of 7 days (3 pills a day) did I start to feel better! Make sure you finish the entire course.”

DanRFl · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

“Terrible pain and huge abscess and the drug didn’t help even 1%, just no help at all... I am in 4th day ( 3 X a day) and pain and abscess continue. I am scheduled appointment with surgeon tomorrow, but amoxicillin didn’t help !”

Sukie · Taken for less than 1 month June 28, 2020

“24 hours and the pain is gone. Amoxicillin worked for me.”

Angie · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2020

“amoxicillin got rid of my molar root infection after day 3”

FC June 10, 2020

“Had an infection on a back molar and was prescribed amoxicillin because of the pandemic. I was on other pain relievers alongside this and the infection was gone within 4 days and no pain at all. But I’m here now a few weeks later (maybe a month) and the toothache is back, will call dentist to see if I have to take another course of it but it worked for the time I took it.”

Pix · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2020

“Took amoxicillin for a dental abscess. Worked to lessen the infection but day 3 woke up COVERED in horrible, raised, angry, red welts/hives all over my arms. Stopped taking immediately. This is apparently a common side effect and not necessarily a true allergy, but there doesn't seem to be a way to differentiate outside a skin test. Just in case my dentist switched me to clindamycin. For my purposes, I'm calling it an allergy going forward because it's too scary to risk.”

Sam Nadi · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2020

“I had one of my tooth infected twice in since 2018 I went to a dentist it was infected but the dentist told me to take it out which was good idea but unfortunately I didn’t agree the first time I took the amoxicillin antibiotics it’s amazing it killed all the bacteria infections I had then I felt better now it’s 2020 I got again infection in the same tooth with covid 19 I only could go to emergency dentist which was ok took an X-ray I got infection the tooth is dead not worth it to keep I was going to take it out it’s charging more money plus I got my insurance they don’t take it I ended up with amoxicillin 500mg is the best it took pain away which was unbearable but when I chew the upper surface touch lower one where infections is while squeezing the food my nerve ahh my god it gets me to a pain Again so the bottom line is amoxicillin is the best still”

Np May 2, 2020

“I am pregnant, two of my bottom molars crumbled away due to pregnancy. I’ve been in agony for two months, both molars open, nerves exposed. NHS refusing to treat me because of COVID-19. I can’t eat properly, have indigestion because of poorly chewed food and severe pain day after day. I am absolutely exhausted as I can’t sleep, the pain triples at nights and all I am left as pregnant is paracetamol. now they both got infected, the gums have been red for a long time, the constant pin indescribable. All they gave me was amoxicillin, which after 4 days has made it only 10x worse, I am in tears all day long and at nights I am almost fainting from the pain, struggle to breathe, I can’t even lie down, turn head, I just want to scream. I have never been this desperate and sore. dentist I got to speak to over the phone wasn’t even sure if the antibiotics are going to work, but gave me a choice of nothing or that. then suggested I do my own filling at home with a home filling kit.”

Jade · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

“I went in for some pain after an injury to my front tooth. The first dentist told me, I’m young enough It can heal, it might get better. I’m 26. A week later, the pain was unbearable. They gave me norco and a root canal at an Endodontist. The surgery went excellent. For 2 days, everything was awesome. Then got an infection with a nasty taste. I called them the 1st day they were open, was prescribed amoxicillin. It helped and I started to get better from it. The amoxicillin side effects ranged from increased sense of smell, yeast infection, and bloody diarrhea. I took my entire xr and was better. After 2 day’s off, I had an infection again. The pain seemed to be higher above the tooth this time. I contacted my dentist, who is sending me back for a 3D X-ray to inspect the area for possible fracture or find another reason it’s not healing. Due to covid shutdown I have to wait 4 days until I’m seen again. Until then I’m treating my infection with old leftover amoxicillin.”

Ryan May 2, 2020

“I was eating one day and when I bite down onto food my whole tooth vibrated through my head like someone had just started drilling through my nerves in my mouth. The pain did not go until after 4 co-codamol and 2 ibuprofen, then my upper stomach started to burn as I had been taking tablets all week and had just taken too many painkillers and started to develop gastritis which is a common condition When the stomach becomes inflamed. I spoke to the dentist and he told me he will give me amoxicillin. I was scared that if they didn't work I will be in this pain for another night or maybe more because due to covid-19 no dentist are running. In the past I have had 4 root canals and many fillings and when you have a root canal its because of a infection or inflammation in the root canal where your nerves are which is why these kind of tooth aches are so painful, so in my experience when taking amoxicillin they have always worked helping with the pain”

Vulture · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

“I have an infection in my root canal Can’t see a dentist even if it’s an emergency due to the COVID virus... I called my dentist and he gave me a prescription for this medicine. I just started taking it, don’t feel any pain yet. Hopefully these will work.”

nicks · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2020

“Amoxicillin was helpful!!. I had a toothache that lasted for 3 days. My dentist prescribed this drug and after 2 days of taking it all the pain was gone!! I didn’t follow the right instructions tho there were times I was several hours late of taking it in a prescribed time because I am forgetful or I was sleeping (It was supposed to be taken exactly every 8hrs) I also didn’t even get to finish the whole medicine course just because I didn’t feel pain anymore (which is not good don't do that too) but this antibiotic just that good! I just experienced diarrhea. I usually poop once a day or every other day but this antibiotic made me poop twice a day”

Warrior April 16, 2020

“We are in the middle of covid 19 quarantine. All dentists are closed and I ended up having my root canalled 1st molar infected. I developed a periapicial abcess just a few mm above my tooth on the gum. It started collecting puss on it. Dentist put me on amoxicillin antibiotics for 5 days, but I still felt tingling/throbbing in tooth so she said to eat one more 5 day dose which is two pills a day. I used the ones that dissolve in the water. Now I am here 2 days after I finished my Antibiotics. Dentist said to keep in touch 3-4 days later if my face would swell up. I hope not, but I feel weird feeling from my tooth and to my ear. Hopefully the infection has cleared. The abcess hasn't filled for at least 24 hrs, so keeping my fingers crossed, but I am really worried =(”

Huckabee · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2020

“Dentist prescribed amoxicillin on the same day of tooth extractions. On my 5th day of 500 mg x four times a day = 2000 mg in a 24 hr period. I have no idea if it's working or not but after reading the reviews of no results I recommend that if you have not seen any positive results OR you experience negative results that you should question the quality control of the manufacturer, because if the manufacturer cuts corners in the production line then you are more likely to experience negative results from the result of poor quality than you are from the drug. Amoxicillin works IF it's manufactured properly. Stay away from the generic form manufactured by Aurobindo pharm. It will be marked with A45 pink & blue capsule.”

:) · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

“So, I have had a tooth infection multiple times, but this time it’s worse to the point where I can’t eat or sleep, or if I mange to fall asleep I wake up in tears because of the pain, I have been taking Co-Codamol, nurofen and paracetamol and also been using ice to try and numb my mouth, I had to ring up the dentist (due to covid-19 I could not get an appointment) and explained my symptoms, which is swollen red gums, throbbing pain in the mouth and jaw and tender when touching, I was prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg x3 a day, I have been taken them for 3 days now and the pain is still there, still swollen, the pain killers no longer work, I haven’t eaten in three days, and everything hurts, the ice doesn’t make an impact, and I am just in severe pain day and night, i just think it’s a waste of time”

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2020

“I have a tooth infection and swelling on my face spreading to my neck now on my second dose of ammoxillin 500 mg it's not working can't see dentist with covid-19..what do I do now?..I am scared if the infection goes into my blood stream as that's very very dangerous!”

Shorty · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2020

“Got put on amoxicillin liquid suspension for 5 days to clear up a dental abscess whole right side of face is swollen after 5 days the swelling is the same no results at all. Lost 3 days money so far cause I'm missing work due to the pain have booked another dentist appointment for the morning to hopefully get put on some stronger antibiotics or get something done to this horrible abscess never felt so run down in my life. I have a toddler and I would gladly choose the pain over having more children then having this dental pain .”

Bunk Chompers · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

“Very painful mouth abscess infection, doc says I need tooth extracted. Was put on 500mg amoxicillin and within 12 hours the pain has already subsided greatly, down to basically non-existent. Tooth will get pulled in 2 days, and I'll continue and finish the 7 day treatment of amoxicillin. No side effects whatsoever.”

Dizzy · Taken for less than 1 month February 21, 2020

“Woke up to entire left side swollen the size of a basketball. Went to the ER and they gave me two shots of a strong antibiotic. The dr prescribed 500 mugs Amoxicillin and Metronidazole three times a day. I’ve been on both for four days and although a lot of the swelling has gone down it hasn’t at the site of the tooth that is causing the abscess. It’s still just as bad and the only thing that has worked for the pain is ice packs applied constant to the site of swelling. Thank goodness for ice packs. They are the only reason I’ve been able to sleep. Hopefully the antibiotics will work better over the next few days or it’s back to the ER as it will be four more days before the dentist office opens.”

Frank D. · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2020

“It did a great job in getting rid of the the Infection in my mouth. The V.A. Doctors gave me 875 mg of Amoxicillin and it started working in about 2 Days. The swelling and pain have completely gone.”

Heidi · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

“Have an infection in the gum/bone and had 2 root canals done. Worst PAIN EVER! I had 3 kids and would gladly have another to trade that pain. Can't eat, can't sleep. Just pain!!! Dentist prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day. Didn't have side effects until dentist switched me to Clindamycin 150mg x 2, 4 times a day. OMG!!! That antibiotic is HORRIBLE!!! Along with having terrible reviews, it tore up my stomach. After being in the bathroom several times, my stomach literally hurt for 10 hours straight. I called my dentist and he put me back on the Amoxicillin. Thank God!!! Just not as strong and will take longer to heal I’m guessing but I definitely don't want that stomach pain either.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month December 27, 2019

“I reacted differently to amoxicillin CAPSULE vs the amoxicillin TABLET. 500mg for each but they both had completely different effects. In short CAPSULES did nothing for weeks, TABLET was immediate relief for extreme tooth pain. I don’t know why and can’t find any info that explains why. However last year same pain, Same reason, tablets allowed me to sleep for the first time after 4days straight of being up drinking cold water. This year I had been prescribed 500mg capsules by my dermatologist and 500mg tablets by my dentist. I lost bottle of tablets. Pain started creeping in while taking the capsules. Worst day being today while at work. I found the bottle of tablets in my breast pocket took one Tablet and had immediate relief that lasted 30minutes. I would take another but I’d already taken enough of the capsules today and didn’t want to do too much in one day n build some type of resistance/tolerance because all I want is relief”

SAD December 24, 2019

“My tooth broke, there was an infection and I was in HORRIBLE pain, I took 2 Ibuprofen 800mg & 1000mg of Tylenol (not good for me I know) but I couldn’t handle the pain and it barely helped. I started the first dose of this antibiotic (850 mg twice a day) and the pain already subsided hours after taking it. I’ve used this medication before for tooth infections and it works WONDERS. I crush the antibiotic into yogurt and eat it that way and it doesn’t upset my stomach at all. I wanted to write this review for all my hypochondriacs (like me) I’m literally scared of every medicine I only take it if I absolutely must. But this antibiotic is totally worth it!”

Baba · Taken for less than 1 month December 7, 2019

“On Fri 06/12/2019 I went to see my dentist and need a root canal fixed, I was in a lot of pain. She prescribed me Amoxicillin along with a pain relief pills. I was told to take 2 of each the first time (which I did and had a big sleep) at that time I THOUGHT IT HAD WORKED REALLY FAST......But the pain came back, if anything just as bad. It is now Sunday morning and I still can't sleep properly due to the pain. I still have to wait until Monday 5pm to have my root canal fixed. So for me so far I think the drug is rubbish! I would not recommend it at all. I am trying to remain hopefully as I have seen others say "it works, but it works slow" I'm praying that's the case. Otherwise I will be ringing my dentist up first think Monday morning and complaining and getting something that actually works!”

Kammy November 30, 2019

“I was prescribed 500 mg of amoxicillin 3 times a day for severe pain in my tooth that I'd rate a 10/10 for the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I'm a 34 year old female who's gone through a c-section and that pain does not even compare to this pain. I was also prescribed 800 mg of ibuprofen which barely helped as well as taking 1000mg of Tylenol which also barely made a dent in my pain. I started the medication Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving and didn't get much relief until Saturday morning when it was entirely gone. I would gargle salt water and tried orajel but the only thing that really got me through was constantly sipping and swishing ice cold water. It kept my mouth numb enough that I could handle but I was literally swishing every 5 minutes but it definitely helped. I'm currently on day 3 and was finally able to enjoy a plate of Thanksgiving leftovers! Just give the medication some time to work and definitely keep a bottle of ice cold water with you at all times!”

Learn more about Dental Abscess

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)