User Reviews for Amoxicillin to treat Dental Abscess

Also known as: Amoxil, Apo-Amoxi

Amoxicillin has an average rating of 5.6 out of 10 from a total of 79 ratings for the treatment of Dental Abscess. 44% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 38% reported a negative effect.

Amoxicillin Rating Summary

5.6/10 average rating

Compare all 17 medications used in the treatment of Dental Abscess.

Reviews for Amoxicillin

Jess · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2020

“I have a tooth infection and swelling on my face spreading to my neck now on my second dose of ammoxillin 500 mg it's not working can't see dentist with covid-19..what do I do now?..I am scared if the infection goes into my blood stream as that's very very dangerous!”

Lopt · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2020

“At first I was convinced the antibiotic will not work as the pain felt like it was getting worse everyday and I was ready to go back to the dentist. Only after completing 4 out of 7 days (3 pills a day) did I start to feel better! Make sure you finish the entire course.”

:) · Taken for less than 1 month April 11, 2020

“So, I have had a tooth infection multiple times, but this time it’s worse to the point where I can’t eat or sleep, or if I mange to fall asleep I wake up in tears because of the pain, I have been taking Co-Codamol, nurofen and paracetamol and also been using ice to try and numb my mouth, I had to ring up the dentist (due to covid-19 I could not get an appointment) and explained my symptoms, which is swollen red gums, throbbing pain in the mouth and jaw and tender when touching, I was prescribed Amoxicillin 500mg x3 a day, I have been taken them for 3 days now and the pain is still there, still swollen, the pain killers no longer work, I haven’t eaten in three days, and everything hurts, the ice doesn’t make an impact, and I am just in severe pain day and night, i just think it’s a waste of time”

Sad face · Taken for less than 1 month January 9, 2021

“Oh my, such a painful tooth infection top back molar. Crying waking up in the middle if the night with the pain. Cannot eat or bite down. Dentist given me 5 days of amoxicillin and I am now on day 2. Reading through this thread gives me some hope that on perhaps day 4 I will be pain free. Dental pain, has got to be the worse.”

SAD December 24, 2019

“My tooth broke, there was an infection and I was in HORRIBLE pain, I took 2 Ibuprofen 800mg & 1000mg of Tylenol (not good for me I know) but I couldn’t handle the pain and it barely helped. I started the first dose of this antibiotic (850 mg twice a day) and the pain already subsided hours after taking it. I’ve used this medication before for tooth infections and it works WONDERS. I crush the antibiotic into yogurt and eat it that way and it doesn’t upset my stomach at all. I wanted to write this review for all my hypochondriacs (like me) I’m literally scared of every medicine I only take it if I absolutely must. But this antibiotic is totally worth it!”

Namee · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2019

“I really thought it was my sinuses. My left side of my face was throbbing and full of pressure as well as my jaw and chin gums and teeth hurt to the touch. I kept taking the real Sudafed, Benadryl and Tylenol. Did not even put a dent in relief. Went to dentist Thursday May 2nd 2019. Saw a massive infection in bottom gum, hole in tooth and infection in jaw bone! Talk about pain!!!!! I took two 500 mg Amoxicillin as soon as I got the bottle. Then 1 every 8 hours. It's now Saturday and what a difference. Jaw still sore beyond belief but not throbbing. Ecstatic is how I feel now. Tired shaky moody stomach pain but that does not compare to a severe infection that spread to root and bone. Amoxicillin does work.”

Kammy November 30, 2019

“I was prescribed 500 mg of amoxicillin 3 times a day for severe pain in my tooth that I'd rate a 10/10 for the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I'm a 34 year old female who's gone through a c-section and that pain does not even compare to this pain. I was also prescribed 800 mg of ibuprofen which barely helped as well as taking 1000mg of Tylenol which also barely made a dent in my pain. I started the medication Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving and didn't get much relief until Saturday morning when it was entirely gone. I would gargle salt water and tried orajel but the only thing that really got me through was constantly sipping and swishing ice cold water. It kept my mouth numb enough that I could handle but I was literally swishing every 5 minutes but it definitely helped. I'm currently on day 3 and was finally able to enjoy a plate of Thanksgiving leftovers! Just give the medication some time to work and definitely keep a bottle of ice cold water with you at all times!”

Np May 2, 2020

“I am pregnant, two of my bottom molars crumbled away due to pregnancy. I’ve been in agony for two months, both molars open, nerves exposed. NHS refusing to treat me because of COVID-19. I can’t eat properly, have indigestion because of poorly chewed food and severe pain day after day. I am absolutely exhausted as I can’t sleep, the pain triples at nights and all I am left as pregnant is paracetamol. now they both got infected, the gums have been red for a long time, the constant pin indescribable. All they gave me was amoxicillin, which after 4 days has made it only 10x worse, I am in tears all day long and at nights I am almost fainting from the pain, struggle to breathe, I can’t even lie down, turn head, I just want to scream. I have never been this desperate and sore. dentist I got to speak to over the phone wasn’t even sure if the antibiotics are going to work, but gave me a choice of nothing or that. then suggested I do my own filling at home with a home filling kit.”

FC June 10, 2020

“Had an infection on a back molar and was prescribed amoxicillin because of the pandemic. I was on other pain relievers alongside this and the infection was gone within 4 days and no pain at all. But I’m here now a few weeks later (maybe a month) and the toothache is back, will call dentist to see if I have to take another course of it but it worked for the time I took it.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month October 29, 2019

“Infection under a tooth root canal with pain and some swelling. Amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day. Started to work within a few hours, felt so fantastic the next day. This stuff is better than any pain medication on earth if you need it! No side effects yet on day 2. I recommend not more than 2 beer or drinks as I had slight feeling in stomach after 3 beer, drank some water and was fine. Who rates antibiotics anyway? I mean really. I love amoxicillin!”

Not_your_father · Taken for less than 1 month April 4, 2019

“I'm a 54 year old, 235 lb, healthy white male. I was prescribed Amoxicillin by my dentist. Reason: I had a toothache for five days, finally went to see my dentist, the gum around one molar was infected, painful to the touch and with pus coming out when the dentist poked it with her dental instrument. She prescribed a dose of 500MG tablets to take 3 times per day, for 7 days. After just one day of taking the drug, my pain was almost completely gone. Three days into the treatment, both the pain and the infection were completely gone. I'm on the last day of my 7-day treatment and no side effects at all, except I'm feeling a bit more tired than usual, but I sleep like a baby at night. I'm very happy with this drug.”

Sam Nadi · Taken for less than 1 month May 18, 2020

“I had one of my tooth infected twice in since 2018 I went to a dentist it was infected but the dentist told me to take it out which was good idea but unfortunately I didn’t agree the first time I took the amoxicillin antibiotics it’s amazing it killed all the bacteria infections I had then I felt better now it’s 2020 I got again infection in the same tooth with covid 19 I only could go to emergency dentist which was ok took an X-ray I got infection the tooth is dead not worth it to keep I was going to take it out it’s charging more money plus I got my insurance they don’t take it I ended up with amoxicillin 500mg is the best it took pain away which was unbearable but when I chew the upper surface touch lower one where infections is while squeezing the food my nerve ahh my god it gets me to a pain Again so the bottom line is amoxicillin is the best still”

Bunk Chompers · Taken for less than 1 month February 26, 2020

“Very painful mouth abscess infection, doc says I need tooth extracted. Was put on 500mg amoxicillin and within 12 hours the pain has already subsided greatly, down to basically non-existent. Tooth will get pulled in 2 days, and I'll continue and finish the 7 day treatment of amoxicillin. No side effects whatsoever.”

DElle777 · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2018

“This stuff works! But here’s something I would like to share with other people experiencing dental related pain which I’ve had a lot of over the years... Your sinuses play a role in the equation. Sinus pressure can exacerbate dental pain. It will likely be uncomfortable while you do it, but try massaging your sinuses upwards and out. Massage the muscles at your temple. Feel around your face and head. You’ll find points which are particularly sensitive. Dental pain can resonate throughout your head and massaging your sinuses and head can be a tremendous help! At times it has actually minimized my pain because the sinus pressure was making the pain worse and once I massaged my sinuses (upwards and out) the pressure was relieved. I did this in conjunction with ibuprofen and a heating pad. Of course it won’t cure it, only the appropriate dental work is going to solve it, but in many cases doing this will help to minimize your suffering in the meantime.”

Anonymous May 24, 2019

“Amoxicillin really does work. for severe toothache/infection! At first you going to feel as if they don't work but take ibuprofen along with the antibiotics and its will do the trick. Two weeks ago I was in sooo much pain that I had a panic attack with it and had to go to the emergency room for it. Now I'm back to normal eating a little bit normal”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 1, 2020

“The pain on the upper right side teeth were due to eating trail mix which had huge Walnuts and Almonds. In assuming pieces of the nuts may have cut my gums as now there was a huge swollen pocket of gum hanging in that corner inside my mouth causing not only pain there, but it traveled to the jaw, then neck. I phoned my my dentist whom called in Amoxicillin for me. The swollen ‘beehive’ pocket went down the next day, and steadily decreasing. Pain gone. No side affects. Working for me.”

... · Taken for less than 1 month August 18, 2019

“I had severe jaw pain a week ago, pain was so bad I couldn't sleep, eat etc and I ended up in the E.R. I was prescribed amoxicillin, at first I felt like it wasn't helping cause the pain was still so bad. I'm now on my 3rd day and the pain isn't as bad but taking anti-inflammatory and tylenol does help a lot as well. The only thing is that all the pills I was prescribed to take, the doses hurt my stomach a lot, so now I'm on another medication to help with it. But overall amoxicillin does work, just give it a bit of time.”

AJ "The Hawaiian" · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2014

Amoxil (amoxicillin): “Seeks to be working well, had 3 teeth extracted, and my dentist prescribed this medication due to the slight swelling prior to the extraction, which has gone done down considerably, along with the major pain and pressure that accompanied it before.”

Warrior April 16, 2020

“We are in the middle of covid 19 quarantine. All dentists are closed and I ended up having my root canalled 1st molar infected. I developed a periapicial abcess just a few mm above my tooth on the gum. It started collecting puss on it. Dentist put me on amoxicillin antibiotics for 5 days, but I still felt tingling/throbbing in tooth so she said to eat one more 5 day dose which is two pills a day. I used the ones that dissolve in the water. Now I am here 2 days after I finished my Antibiotics. Dentist said to keep in touch 3-4 days later if my face would swell up. I hope not, but I feel weird feeling from my tooth and to my ear. Hopefully the infection has cleared. The abcess hasn't filled for at least 24 hrs, so keeping my fingers crossed, but I am really worried =(”

Slickchic March 25, 2021

“6months ago, I went to Dentist in regards to my back bottom molar. Took it for 3 days for pain to became manageable. Well it went away until I started eating my celery sticks once more (munch, munch, munch) then again, on amoxicillin, every time my top back molar touches that bad tooth I see birds flying around my head, not robins, but blackbirds, ok not literally. Immense pain, taken max dose of paracetamol, did nothiung! I took ibucalm - got 2 hours sleep but woke, realising my back upper teeth were grinding on the 'PAINFUL TOOTH' at the bottom. I've got panda eyes. Lost 3 lbs, 45mins after soup, the pain goes CRAZY. Once I had a slice of bread and I nearly went to war on myself when I chewed on the back tooth. I'm in agony, sometimes I want to cry, other times I want to smash things up and when I've taken ibucalm, I get to watch a bit of TV. My poor tummy isn't used to this starvation. My weight scales however, are delighted. Wishing HEALING on everyone. I know Day 5, I should feel a human again.”

Huckabee · Taken for less than 1 month April 15, 2020

“Dentist prescribed amoxicillin on the same day of tooth extractions. On my 5th day of 500 mg x four times a day = 2000 mg in a 24 hr period. I have no idea if it's working or not but after reading the reviews of no results I recommend that if you have not seen any positive results OR you experience negative results that you should question the quality control of the manufacturer, because if the manufacturer cuts corners in the production line then you are more likely to experience negative results from the result of poor quality than you are from the drug. Amoxicillin works IF it's manufactured properly. Stay away from the generic form manufactured by Aurobindo pharm. It will be marked with A45 pink & blue capsule.”

DanRFl · Taken for less than 1 month June 30, 2020

“Terrible pain and huge abscess and the drug didn’t help even 1%, just no help at all... I am in 4th day ( 3 X a day) and pain and abscess continue. I am scheduled appointment with surgeon tomorrow, but amoxicillin didn’t help !”

Shorty · Taken for less than 1 month March 15, 2020

“Got put on amoxicillin liquid suspension for 5 days to clear up a dental abscess whole right side of face is swollen after 5 days the swelling is the same no results at all. Lost 3 days money so far cause I'm missing work due to the pain have booked another dentist appointment for the morning to hopefully get put on some stronger antibiotics or get something done to this horrible abscess never felt so run down in my life. I have a toddler and I would gladly choose the pain over having more children then having this dental pain .”

DrewPM86 · Taken for less than 1 month March 3, 2021

“Amoxicillan has been a life save for tooth infections for me personally. Though it needs to be paired with some type of pain reliever to mitigate the pain since you cannot drink alcohol ( which besides pain meds is the only thing that lessens a tooth ache) and for a tooth ache advil doesnt cut it you need Vicaden, Norco or Percaset ..sadly so many drug addicts have made being prescribed any of the above listed pain meds a rare occurrence.”

Vulture · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2020

“I have an infection in my root canal Can’t see a dentist even if it’s an emergency due to the COVID virus... I called my dentist and he gave me a prescription for this medicine. I just started taking it, don’t feel any pain yet. Hopefully these will work.”

Learn more about Dental Abscess