User Reviews for Amoxicillin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Also known as: Amoxil, Apo-Amoxi

Amoxicillin Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 294 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Amoxicillin

AZ JJ · Taken for less than 1 month August 28, 2020

“I thought Amoxicillin was pretty mild. I asked for it when my Urologist prescribed a Cipro-family antibiotic (I think those are REALLY dangerous!)... WRONG. I took the Amoxicillin 500mg 2X/day for 8 days and had to stop. It seemed to stop my UTI (first one ever and I have been on catheters for 2 years) but I didn't expect the side effects of rapid heart rate all the time, anxiety from low grade to intense most of the time, it made me feel weak and nauseous, guts in turmoil, eating anything made it worse, so I had to stop. I had no idea this drug had those side effects for many! AVOID!”

Amb May 27, 2020

“I’ve taken Amoxicillin many times for a UTI. It gives me a good amount of relief within 6-8 hours. The burning sensation and the bladder spasms usually subside within that time frame. I don’t experience many side effects except for occasional mild nausea and an annoying yeast infection. Those side effects are very common. I’ve also taken this for tonsil issues and it helps tremendously. There’s not many antibiotics I can take, but this is one of my favorites for my lupus induced UTIs.”

ks · Taken for less than 1 month March 12, 2020

“I was given amoxicillin for my UTI and it did not work at all after 7 days, 500mg 3 times a day”

Chica95 · Taken for 10 years or more January 10, 2020

“I have had frequent UTIs since I was a kid and I still get them every couple of months. Amoxicillin has always worked for me. My doctor tried to change it up this time around and give me Bactrim. It was awful. It did nothing for my UTI, and just made me feel super dizzy and tired all day. So I went back and she gave me Macrobid. I told her that amoxicillin has always worked for me but she insisted I try the Macrobid. Still in constant pain, the frequency, all of it is still there. Amoxicillin is THE ONLY one that works for me. I am going back tomorrow and insisting on the amoxicillin. I KNOW MY BODY.”

Rudy · Taken for 10 years or more December 6, 2019

“I am paraplegic since an accident in 2002, and you know, para- and quadriplecics are collectors of bacteria in the bladder. As long as the human immune system is able to hold a balance, these bacteria are quiet, but after one is changing the daily routine, get fever, don't drink enough or what else, they begin immediately to reproduce them and a new UTI is born again.... Well, you should never take an antibiotic without to do a urine culture first at a lab, to choose the right medicine afterwards and to be sure it will work, otherwise the chance is real you chose the wrong one one and it doesn't help you. That doesn't mean this antibiotic is of a poor quality, but it will not help just because the bacteria that caused the UTI is resistant against this kind of antibiotic. In that case you threatened your health for nothing, because all this kind of medicine is damaging your liver, and a damaged liver may be the death penalty!”

Blackie · Taken for less than 1 month December 1, 2019

“I am 87 and was one of the first to use penicillin for strep throat. Still today in any format best for me. All other antibiotics cause severe constipation for me. At this very moment writing this I am suffering because they gave me different antibiotic for a UTI infection it will never happen again believe me.”

hornyman · Taken for less than 1 month November 27, 2019

“I had more sex than usual this month. I seem to be more active in November ;p. I suspect that it was the cause. So, this is also a potential cause as well. And finally, I noticed that with the summers heat and humidity setting in, it is potentially a cause that would aggravate the condition. Penicillin(500mg) twice daily has stopped the "labor pains" for me twice so far after getting fed up of hospital visits and pethidine(poppy extract). I respect the advice about taking probiotics in conjunction. Would certainly not harm to replace any good that was removed with the antibiotic. P.S. Washing the hands is about the most important thing to do before commencing ANY new activity.”

Oberon · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2019

“Male I took several one week courses of amoxcillin and UTI always came back. ”

Solla mudiyaadhu · Taken for less than 1 month October 16, 2019

“Really it made me to experience so many side effects ”

Dt · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2019

“I was prescribed amoxicillin to take three times a day 500mg for 7 days. I have no side effects I took it for strep B UTI. I've been on it for 4 days. I have no side effects and I see no improvements. 3 stars because I’m glad I experienced no side effects”

Smitty · Taken for less than 1 month September 18, 2019

“I have been taking Amoxicillin 875 twice a day for 6 days for a UTI. Still have the frequency with urinating. Feel bad. Always tired and it doesn’t seem to help. Can not sleep at night medicine is not working. Been drinking lots of water and cranberry juice and don’t feel any better. Also have chills at times. Think I’m stopping this medicine because it’s not helping at all.”

carlton1 · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2019

“I was 2 1/2 days into taking 500mg of amoxicillin twice a day. I had sweating, anxiety, panic attacks, had to stop, given I am not the coolest of people and this tipped me over the edge. But in amoxycillin's defence it did in the short space stop the burning wee, as for whether its totally cured the UTI I do not know, I need a break before trying the Nitrofurantoin they now have prescribed.”

Dick · Taken for less than 1 month June 1, 2019

“Best treatment for my UTI is taking 500mg amoxicillin twice a day. After six days, UTI essentially cleared up. Feel so much better.”

UTIprone · Taken for less than 1 month April 3, 2019

“I’ve taken this drug many, many times since I was a kid. I took it a lot for strep throat, as well as before dental procedures. I recently took it for a UTI and it worked within a day. No side effects at all. All medication comes with risks, but this is a better choice than Fluroquinolones or some of the other types of antibiotics on the market. Take a probiotic with it, and assuming you don’t have an allergy you should be fine.”

Oneofakind · Taken for less than 1 month September 13, 2018

“I was on a 5 day treatment for a urinary tract infection and was taking it 3 times a day 500 mg. It did not treat it completely. It stopped the urge to pee every five mins and stopped the lower belly pain but I still had the pain at the end after I would pee and I still bad back pain so back to the doc I go ”

peetee · Taken for 10 years or more April 20, 2018

“Best antibiotic for me. At first sign of coloured sputum I take a 14 day course. Plus occasional omeprazole capsules to aid with gut sensitivity. No side effects. Any trace of urinary infection goes.”

BellaFelice December 9, 2017

“After 3 courses of Macrobid, good old amoxicillin seemed to finally clear up most of my issues.”

page han · Taken for less than 1 month December 8, 2017

“I've been taking 875 mg for 3 days for UTI, it isn't working, pain in pelvic area and other UTI symptoms are no better 7 more days of my 10 day prescription . Hoping things get better soon.”

Soma Pattanayak · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2017

“I took Amoxicillin and Potassium Clevolunate as per Doctor's prescription and my symptoms of backpain and fever felling diminished within two hours.”

amox is not working · Taken for less than 1 month August 30, 2017

“not working”

lilyjulia1 January 10, 2017

“I was born with 4 kidneys, and it seems some of the other reviewers "side effects" were actually kidney/bladder infection symptoms. These infections spread fast, and can be lethal. Amoxacillin is a gentle savior for me, I still have 3 of 4 kidneys, after surgery and countless urinary tract infections, I trust it very much. It can take as little as 2 days to go from UTI to bladder, and a day or so more to kidneys, nip it in the bud, at first stinging. Because if you start to feel constipated, it's probably not, that is a kidney infection symptom. These infections scare the daylights out of me, it has been quite a while since I was hospitalized, amoxacillin is safe and much easier on the body than cipro.”

Frequent UTIs · Taken for less than 1 month December 17, 2016

“I've had many bladder infections over the years, to varying degrees-- and Amoxicillin has always worked for me, personally, when it comes to the worst of them. But everyone is different, so if it doesn't help your infection go away, switch to another antibiotic, but be warned that the current push is to prescribe a powerful class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolone, that have a rare, but potentially permanent side effect of nerve damage (and warning states that the effect can happen AFTER you've taken the medication). So, given the choice of antibiotics, I'd take Amoxicillin first. Yes, there are side effects, but minor and temporary. Just take probiotics, eat well, hydrate.”

milanpruz · Taken for less than 1 month November 23, 2016

“Only used this to cure my UTI so it wouldn't spread to a kidney infection. But the side effects are absolutely horrific! I can't deal with this much longer. I'm supposed to take 500mg/3x a day for 7 days but I'm cutting it short I'll do it for 5 days because it's day 3 and I already want to stop it. My side effects: •All day long nausea •Extreme constipation •Abdominal cramping/pain from the gas trapped and constipation •Diffuctly flactuating •NO appetite whatsoever, every food sounds disgusting and hard to eat •Anxiety and fear mixed with deep sadness •Fatigued and weak •Feeling like I'm slowly dying but trying to make it through each day, day by day •Dehabiliting - I hardly want to go out and do anything, need to sit out a lot.”

Anonymous August 18, 2016

“I always take Azo when I find I have a UTI. I take it with the antibiotic. It immediately gets rid of all the symptoms until the antibiotic can kick in”

Wintercat2 July 5, 2016

“I'm on Day 5 out of 7 and am calling it quits and try a different one tomorrow. The side effects hit me all at once on day 3. I got extreme exhaustion and muscle weakness. I couldn't even lift my arms without feeling exhausted. I got really irritable and extreme mood swings (yelling, crying). I got heart palipitations and extreme anxiety/paranoia. Strange rubber feeling in mouth, weird thoughts. On day 4 I started hallucinating a bit (nothing extreme but it was terrifying). Every muscle in my body aches. Oh and I checked to see if my infection improved with an at home test and it's still there! I quit, this is honestly the worst drug I have ever had in my life and didn't do anything. I can't wait for this to wear off.”