User Reviews for Amoxicillin

Also known as: Amoxicot, Amoxil, Apo-Amoxi, Biomox, DisperMox, Moxatag, Moxilin, Trimox, Wymox

Learn more about Amoxicillin.

Amoxicillin Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 381 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Amoxicillin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

"I was born with 4 kidneys, and it seems some of the other reviewers "side effects" were actually kidney/bladder infection symptoms. These infections spread fast, and can be lethal. Amoxacillin is a gentle savior for me, I still have 3 of 4 kidneys, after surgery and countless urinary tract infections, I trust it very much. It can take as little as 2 days to go from UTI to bladder, and a day or so more to kidneys, nip it in the bud, at first stinging. Because if you start to feel constipated, it's probably not, that is a kidney infection symptom. These infections scare the daylights out of me, it has been quite a while since I was hospitalized, amoxacillin is safe and much easier on the body than cipro."

lilyjulia1 January 10, 2017

49 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had many bladder infections over the years, to varying degrees-- and Amoxicillin has always worked for me, personally, when it comes to the worst of them. But everyone is different, so if it doesn't help your infection go away, switch to another antibiotic, but be warned that the current push is to prescribe a powerful class of antibiotics called fluoroquinolone, that have a rare, but potentially permanent side effect of nerve damage (and warning states that the effect can happen AFTER you've taken the medication). So, given the choice of antibiotics, I'd take Amoxicillin first. Yes, there are side effects, but minor and temporary. Just take probiotics, eat well, hydrate."

Frequent UTIs (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Only used this to cure my UTI so it wouldn't spread to a kidney infection. But the side effects are absolutely horrific! I can't deal with this much longer. I'm supposed to take 500mg/3x a day for 7 days but I'm cutting it short I'll do it for 5 days because it's day 3 and I already want to stop it. My side effects: •All day long nausea •Extreme constipation •Abdominal cramping/pain from the gas trapped and constipation •Diffuctly flactuating •NO appetite whatsoever, every food sounds disgusting and hard to eat •Anxiety and fear mixed with deep sadness •Fatigued and weak •Feeling like I'm slowly dying but trying to make it through each day, day by day •Dehabiliting - I hardly want to go out and do anything, need to sit out a lot."

milanpruz (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I always take Azo when I find I have a UTI. I take it with the antibiotic. It immediately gets rid of all the symptoms until the antibiotic can kick in"

Anonymous August 18, 2016

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on Day 5 out of 7 and am calling it quits and try a different one tomorrow. The side effects hit me all at once on day 3. I got extreme exhaustion and muscle weakness. I couldn't even lift my arms without feeling exhausted. I got really irritable and extreme mood swings (yelling, crying). I got heart palipitations and extreme anxiety/paranoia. Strange rubber feeling in mouth, weird thoughts. On day 4 I started hallucinating a bit (nothing extreme but it was terrifying). Every muscle in my body aches. Oh and I checked to see if my infection improved with an at home test and it's still there! I quit, this is honestly the worst drug I have ever had in my life and didn't do anything. I can't wait for this to wear off."

Wintercat2 July 5, 2016

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Took this for a week for chest infection and when I stopped with in days I had was peeing large amounts of blood...now on another antibiotic for a bladder infection. I don't understand how I got a bladder infection after being on this antibiotic...cleared chest up but nothing for bladder."

ruby0922 March 31, 2016

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"So. Amoxicillin works fantastic for a UTI BUT I'd never ever take it w/out a probiotic. I get a bottle of acidophilus (maybe a few billion cultures) at a big box store for under $6. Reason being is antibiotics kill bacteria both good and bad. My daughter gets thrush and Ive NEVER had a yeast infection until on amoxicillin for over 3 days. These Are side effects of good bacteria being killed off. My dr advised me on this & ive never had any more side effects!"

Yo momma (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Amoxicillin 500mg 3x a day. No more pain, urgency, and frequency incontinence no more blood in my urine. And THAT is exactly what I wanted. I am back to my sassy self."

GJG39 January 13, 2016

243 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Stopped the buring sensation that comes with UTI when urinating. Unfortunately, this did not cure my UTI at all. Got really horrible side effects too."

Krisu112 January 12, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been having abdominal and pelvic pain for over three weeks thinking that it was menstrual related. Once my cycle was over I noticed that there was blood in my urine and immediately knew that it was a urinary tract and or bladder infection. I got a prescription for amoxicillin and within an hour of taking the first dose which was two pills my pain had subsided from an 8 to a 5 on a scale of 1 to 10. Several hours later I was immediately feeling back to myself and ready to get out and start living again. The pain of the bladder infection or urinary tract infection had literally kept me in the house with a heating pad on for three weeks almost a month. Make sure that you do take the full Rx for the infection or it could come back."

lisamarieb October 12, 2015

181 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Having pain in your bladder ,a lil bit of blood in the urine. Amoxicillin work's really good on it. This is the only med that I trust when it comes to U.T.I ;)"

audrianah May 20, 2015

207 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Works great! Pain goes away in less than 24 hours and I feel myself again! Very recommended medication to treat urinary tract infections!"

uti first timer (taken for less than 1 month) December 19, 2014

360 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I use amoxicilian for all infections. It works fast with no side effects on me. The only antibiotic I ask for."

bone grisham August 21, 2014

261 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very effective, made me feel like normal again after weeks of being in pain due to my urinary tract infection. However, after being on amoxicillin for nearly 5 days, I had severe diarrhea and stopped taking it due to the fact I was constantly sitting on the loo! However, this was a highly effective medicine for me, much better than trimethoprim."

yasghahremani (taken for less than 1 month) August 3, 2014

171 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on amoxicillin for a long time. Twice when I tried to quit it, exactly on the 10th day of being off it, I ended up with a bad urinary tract infection. So amoxicillin was very effective in holding off urinary tract infections for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 1, 2014

176 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've suffered frequent UTIs and am usually prescribed amoxicillin, which for me works amazingly well. If I catch it early I find the ache in my bladder, small amount of blood in the urine and the urgency to pee goes away enough to be comfortable within 6 hours, and I feel 100% normal again in 24-48 hours. Does the trick each time."

summersoul November 2, 2013

397 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Amoxil (amoxicillin): "This worked wonders!"

Anonymous February 14, 2012

301 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Very quick and effective."

Anonymous September 5, 2011

187 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have always used amoxicillin it for my frequent urinary tract infection's. It works in 4 or 5 days, although I take it for a 10 day run. I take two 250mg caps twice a day. I have never had any problems. Works great, if your aren't allergic to any of the penicillin type drugs."

KISSY46 April 16, 2010