User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, ...show all 25 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 87 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Rosacea

Oracea (doxycycline): "I am 16 years old and my acne has been a problem for a little over 6 months. I was previously on Acticlate for about 2 months which did not help my skin much and had terrible side effects like vomitting. My dermatologist switched me to Oracea 40 mg and I was hopeful. The first week on it, my skin became so much worse and I wanted to get off of it. However, after that first week, my skin began to clear up and now only has a few red spots. This medication works great, you just have to push through the first week and remember that things get worse before they get better. I also love Oracea because it has no side effects on me which is great."

Alexis O June 29, 2016

Oracea (doxycycline): "Oracea worked perfectly for clearing up my rosacea. I used it for 4 years. Now Obamacare has screwed everything up so bad, insurance companies do not cover it anymore. I can't afford it. rosacea is back. Guess I am just going to have to be ugly because nothing else seems to work."

Gbert June 9, 2016

"my skin was very bad and very sore and red with cyst like lumps around my mouth my lips were swollen because of inflamation . this antibiotic from the first day took the pain away which was a great relief to me.. It took nearly two weeks before the lesions went away but I expected this as they were bad the worst I had ever had.. I was also given a topical antibiotic, which did not make my skin dry or flaky . i had googled the doxycycline before I went to my GP so i asked for this one as seemed to give good results. I would recommend it I was on 100 mg for 28 days twice a day had to drink a full glass of water when taking. I had no side effects..I still have the red marks which will take time to fade but can cover with makeup."

barbarelli (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

Oracea (doxycycline): "Once a day dosing, works better that generic."

Chrisy2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2016

"Amazing. 3 weeks ago my face was very red and burned like fire. I had developed deep red papules all over my nose and my upper cheeks. Total strangers stared at my face and asked me if I was OK a few times. I was so embarrassed I started staying home from social activities. 3 weeks after starting Doxycycline and Metrogel my face is 95% healed. My normal skin tone is for the most part restored. I only have a single tiny papule on my nose that is a light red color and not deep red. The deep red color and burning sensation are gone. I still have a pink tone to my nose and cheeks, but it is not unattractive and I actually feel comfortable going out without makeup on now."

Raquiellet May 1, 2016

"This did not cause any change in my rosacea whatsoever. I was started on 100 mg daily. After one month of no change, I contacted the dermatologist. They increased it to 2 times a day. I did that for about 1 week with no changes and finally said forget it. I'm not going to continue to take medication that doesn't work."

sarasarasara (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2016

"I had reached a point where my severe rosacea was extremely painful. I had contacted my doctor and begged for a prescription for amoxicillian. That was an antibiotic I was on for another condition, and cleared up my rosacea for a couple of weeks. The doctor said doxycycline would be better for my acne. I had not known at the time what I was suffering from was severe rosacea . my derm at the time diagnosed me with severe cystic acne. After 1 year of trial and error with numerous antibiotics, she put me on isotretinoin (sp). I took claravis, apprx 80 mg for 10 months. After being on a 2 wk course of doxy, my face has been clear for 11 months now."

emeraldspring70 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

"I used to have rosacea problem. Doctor told me, he prescribe Doxycycline. I took 1 capsules daily until all gone but still does't help much then I search on internet and find chinese herb" centella asiatica (Gotu kola)". I crush and apply it on my face. With in one time using I can see a lot improve. The blood vessels, irritation eye and skin, swollen, redness bump like acne reduce obviously. Then I apply it 4-5 times a day, with in 3-4 days all those problem disappear. believe me. You can search the benefit of that herb first. It's work with me."

Mary ja April 7, 2016

"I have rosacea triggered by heat/intense exercise. Went through 2 rounds of accutane in college, which helped for a short while. Got reprieve through my late 20s/30s, then it game back in my 40s w exercise. Tried to treat it naturally for two months, then gave up and saw the dermatologist. Started the doxycycline 1 pill 2 times a day and my face, which had virtually every pore affected with a bump --and under eye area affected, was almost completely clear in one week. After 2 weeks I went down to one pill per day. On that dose I get a couple bumps after working out, but they go away in a day instead of 3 weeks. Also do the metro gel and sulfur wash. Been a month now. A little heartburn/sour stomach after taking it, but excellent results."

Runnergirl73 February 7, 2016

"Started taking 6 months ago and it appears to be doing an effective job of managing my rosacea. Still get an occasional outbreak, but not as noticeable. Unfortunately the cost is a killer, with insurance the annual cost is over $2,000. May need to find something else."

Kee2 January 28, 2016

"The reason I started this medication is because I have four bumps on my cheeks that's cause by my Rosacea & they won't go away, they will swell up and then turn pink for a while, it's just a cycle. I recently started this medication on Jan 4th. I haven't see any change or had any of the side effects many people have been complaining about. Maybe it's just too soon to say anything, it's 50mg but I have to take it twice a day on a full stomach NOT empty like many people do. I am also using metro gel so. I'm getting my monthly soon and I usually get little pimples. The bumps are getting lighter and a bit smaller but one of the bumps just swelled up and it's red and it looks like it has a bit of pus, so it sucks right now"

Remmus (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

Oracea (doxycycline): "Too soon for me to tell if this is working, but for you concerned about cost it is now generic and costs me $10 a month."

Sarah c December 5, 2015

Oracea (doxycycline): "Helps with the burning and Bump flare ups. When used all the time completely makes me symptom free"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2015

Oracea (doxycycline): "Good, no side effects, other then depression. Finally found a way to control acne. Once the doctors coupon ended so did my prescription and the depressed feeling of a drug company playing, got you hooked now pay up, began. College student that can not afford hundreds of dollars a month to stay on it. College insurance and family insurance does not cover doctors recommended treatment drug."

College dude November 26, 2015

Oracea (doxycycline): "The first day I used Oracea I had a friend ask what I had done differently. She added, your face is not red. It works well for me! The only issue I have is the medicine does not clear up blemishes as well as Minocycline."

First day had someone comment. (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

Oracea (doxycycline): "Started taking for acne. It helped a lot the first three weeks but the second I had my period it's like I might as well not even be taking the oracea because I see little to no difference. I get diarrhea and upset stomach in addition to taking this medication. For me, I'll probably need to take a stronger medicine."

Jamie Elizabeth July 25, 2015

"I'm 53 and have very bad rosacea. My derm put me on doxycycline 100mg x2 a day. It cleared up my face great. She reduced the dosage to 50mg x2 a day everything was great until I started having joint problems. I never had that first joint prob before. I went off med for a while and rosacea came back with a vengeance. My doc told me to try med again and if joint prob returned she would take me off of med for good. I did this and all of my joints got very bad so I stopped taking drug. It's been 6 months and my joints are still recovering. The med package said 1 in 6 will develop joint problems. I'm one of them. Now srosacea is bad and I am bumming heavily."

Shack D July 6, 2015

"I'm giving this a 5 because I'm sure it is effective. I just want to warn people about how common esophagitis is with this medicine. My derm gave me this two weeks ago and I'm feeling like death. I can barely swallow any liquids. I was only able to get a couple hundred calories yesterday. I felt like going to the ER but there really isn't much they can do for you. You just have to let it run its course. It may take two weeks to get back to normal. You don't appreciate being able to eat and drink and swallow until it hurts like one of the worse pains in my life to do so. Major chest pain. I can't express how awful this is to deal with."

ajcmr (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015

Oracea (doxycycline): "I used to have terrible acne on my skin, and so I went to my dermatologist and he prescribed this. I used it for about half a year, and my acne was starting to clear up. Although, I recommend wearing lots of sunscreen during the summer, because you will get facial sunburns. But oddly enough, while using Oracea, I started to experience moderate heart palpitations and panic attacks and anxiety, and so I stopped using Oracea immediately. I am not sure that I recommend this to everyone."

Flora E April 13, 2015

"I had no side effects, and this is the best thing for my rosacea. I have subtype I and II (of very small papules) and this got rid of the papules completely and brought the inflammation and redness down and I believe it also keeps me from flushing as intensely. I take this continuously now for over a year. The only bad part of this drug is that the slow release kind used for rosacea (called Aprillon in Canada, and Oracea in the U.S.) is VERY expensive (works out to about $1.50 a day). To me it's worth it, it works that well."

Emily2157 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 26, 2015

Oracea (doxycycline): "Wow. I've had mild rosacea for years and had heard about this medication but was unable to take it because I was pregnant then nursing. I saw results in just over a week. I don't even need to use the Metrogel anymore. I take it at night with a glass of water and have never had any side effects. I definitely recommend this. Luckily my copay is only $25 month. I was told to be careful with sun exposure while taking this but it's winter so I'm hoping this isn't a problem in summer."

charlievirginia December 9, 2014

"I have been on 40 mg for 2 months and 3 weeks. No improvement at all. In fact, I think the bumps and pustules are spreading. It took a while to get over the nausea but eventually it went away."

MelMarCur December 9, 2014

"Been taking Doxycycline for about 6 weeks, 2 x 50mg tabs daily. Definitely seen improvement in my Rosacea, inflammation to face and eyes decreased quite significantly Was taking Oxytetracycline prior to this which was less effective."

GURKER November 3, 2014

Oracea (doxycycline): "I recently found an amazing dermatologist who is very vigilant about tailoring treatments specific to my skin and my medical history and prescribed me Oracea, after several unsuccessful treatments from other derms (incl. completely altering my skincare regimen, switching from my pricey La Mer face wash/moisturizers to all Cerave products and SPF 35 sunscreen). I've been on Oracea for 4 weeks and unlike the other reviewers here, I haven't seen any improvements yet :( I'm not sure if my redness is caused by another underlying condition at this point b/c we've tried most topical treatments (Finacea, Mirvaso, Metrogel) and they only make the redness worse! Anyone else see improvements only after > 4 weeks of treatment?"

P-Pharma (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2014

Oracea (doxycycline): "I've had what they said was blepharitis all of my life. It started spreading under a lower eyelid so I went to a dermatologist (after spending hundreds at an opthamologist and him putting me on several antibiotics and eyedrops). She put me on Oracea and it made it so much better; even the bloodshot, scratchy eyes. The only drawback is that it has given me severe heartburn, which I've never had before. "

red eyes & blepharitis (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2014