User Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Rosacea

Also known as: Vibramycin, Oracea, Doxy 100, Monodox, Adoxa, Doryx, Acticlate, Avidoxy, Doxy 200, Doxy-D, Oraxyl, Morgidox, Targadox, Uracil, Mondoxyne NL, Doxy-Caps, Alodox, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Adoxa CK, LymePak Okebo Doryx MPC …show all brand names

Doxycycline has an average rating of 7.8 out of 10 from a total of 103 ratings for the treatment of Rosacea. 68% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.8/10 average rating

Compare all 66 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Doxycycline

Jessie · Taken for less than 1 month February 2, 2019

“I have been dealing with moderate Rosacea Subtype 2 for a few years. Manageable. This Christmas I had the worst flare I’ve ever had. My cheeks were covered in papules. My face was bright red and BURNED and stung horribly. It spread from cheek to cheek within weeks and nothing would calm it down. Derm prescribed Doxy 100mg 2xday and within 2 weeks the burning subsided and bumps started to go away. I’m so thankful it worked. My skin is not perfect but the painful part is gone. I plan on continuing on with the pills for another 3 months. Please try this medication if you’re suffering from this horrible skin condition. I’m sorry if you’re having to suffer with this painful skin. Good Luck and remember this is temporary and it can be managed with antibiotics.”

Kristaaaaaaaa August 13, 2013

“I started taking doxycycline one month ago and within 3 days my acne, rosacea was gone and it never came back. My doctor told me it would not help with the redness at all, but it did. I could honestly just cry. I am THAT happy with this medication. It also soothed my very dry eyes that I think was due to the rosacea as well. Take note however, that this stuff is REALLY hard on your stomach if you take it without eating. I get dizzy and dry heave. All in all, I want to hug my doxycycline because it changed my life. ”

Nita1214 November 23, 2013

Oracea (doxycycline): “LOVE LOVE LOVE Oracea! 2 weeks and I already notice a great improvement in my eyes. I have mild rosacea on my face (red nose sometimes) but it was the ocular rosacea that prompted me to seek help. I thought my eyes were just red from my contacts but my ophthalmologist said it was ocular rosacea. I was devastated- I do not want to lose my vision! So far, so good- my eyes feel 100% better, my stress level is down & I'm starting to feel "normal" again! I guess I'm lucky because I haven't experienced any of the side effects (yet). Hopefully it'll stay that way. Oracea is my new best friend.”

TinnerW March 2, 2014

Oracea (doxycycline): “This medication combined with Finacea cream saved my skin! I was having terrible localized breakouts that would leave bad scars. Once I started religiously using Oracea and Finacea (to help with redness) my skin looks amazing, I rarely need to wear makeup now. Only downside is it makes my lips sensitive. The tend to look swollen- which is not such a bad thing. I would recommend this to anyone dealing with Rosacea.”

GiGi · Taken for 6 months to 1 year November 5, 2019

“I had been on doxycycline (rosacea) for months, it did not work. I was given methotrexate 2x did not work. I was on Ivermectin2x, it also did not work and I have used gels nothing. My face still red, pimples and itchy. Also taking Spironolactone 50 mg. NEED HELP!!”

Anthony · Taken for 1 to 2 years May 24, 2019

“Had a really good experience with this doxycycline. Developed Rosacea at age 36....small white pimples and red lesions covered my cheeks and parts of my neck and jawline. Saw a dermatologist and he put me on this drug, one tablet per day. Within two weeks my Rosacea basically disappeared and my skins looks normal now. I will say that you need to take this with food. A simple glass of water is not enough and I developed nausea the first week when I took this pill and skipped breakfast. I'm off the drug completely now, but occasionally get small Rosacea flareups during stressful times but they go away quickly.”

Susie Jane · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 20, 2019

“This medication has been life changing. I had been battling constant pustules and papules for over a decade, getting much worse the last four years. I had tried a range of over the counter creams and treatments, and on rozex cream for a year - which helped a bit. A new doctor put me on this and in six months I have virtually no “pimples” or skin thickening at all. Miraculous. I did find I needed to combine it with a pill to settle my stomach, the main symptom burping and a little discomfort. My skin is now clear and I can happily go makeup free. Results began after two weeks but it took about five months for the full impact to be seen. Highly commended for p/p rosacea. I am in Australia and the price is very reasonable”

Otherwise Healthy Person · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2021

“This drug (known as Doxylin 100mg on the packet) caused serious cascade effects ranging from extremely low blood pressure, gastric and bowel bloating and pain, kidney stones, temporary vision loss, confusion and memory issues, all problems appeared at once. None of these problems I had before starting a course of Doxylin. I only took 2 weeks of a planned 2 month course. I am not on any other medication. This toxic drug should be banned. Other random people (such as the nurse at my clinic) also mentioned that this drug was dangerous and took months go get over the problems. 'Side Effects' is a misleading term used by the drug industry. It is not side effects - the drugs are toxic poisons, full stop.”

Shorty's wife April 12, 2008

Oracea (doxycycline): “My husband has had severe rosacea all his life. He was prescribed Oracea about three years ago. Neither of us had any particular opinion of its efficacy until we had to interrupt his therapy for budgetary reasons. While he was off Oracea, his condition flared and visibly worsened. When we resumed his therapy we could see the improvements almost instantly! Thank you, thank you!”

red eyes & blepharitis · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2014

Oracea (doxycycline): “I've had what they said was blepharitis all of my life. It started spreading under a lower eyelid so I went to a dermatologist (after spending hundreds at an opthamologist and him putting me on several antibiotics and eyedrops). She put me on Oracea and it made it so much better; even the bloodshot, scratchy eyes. The only drawback is that it has given me severe heartburn, which I've never had before. ”

HGdeB July 11, 2013

“I've been struggling with Rosacea for a long time. Skipped the red vein part and went straight for the pimples, boils. Later purple thickness and seborrheic eczema came with it too. I did not like the idea of using antibiotics. Don't like the thought of treatment resistant bacteria as a result. But, I had to take something. First night after taking doxycycline, I woke several times, because of extreme itching. Everytime I went to the bathroom and saw my face in the mirror that night, it looked already a bit better. The pain Rosacea brought me was gone in a week. The flakes of the seborrheic eczema after a few weeks. The last pimples disappeared a few weeks after that, to only return, very mildly, just before menstruation.”

RQuail · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 21, 2012

“I have a new lease on life now that I'm able to show my face without being painfully self-conscious. For decades I was afflicted with hideous eruptions on my nose. They were either big zits or small boils. My nose is permanently scarred. The doc said it was Rosacea and prescribed "doxy." Follow the instructions carefully. Don't lie down after you take it. Drink plenty of water. Don't eat for at least an hour. Don't take calcium supplements for 2-3 hours. I've had no obvious side effects. Being fair-skinned, I've always been sensitive to the sun, so the sun-sensitivity side effect is nothing unusual.”

Anonymous August 11, 2011

Oracea (doxycycline): “I began taking Oracea about a three and a half weeks ago for Rosacea. I saw my dermatologist for what I thought was a stubborn case of acne. I am 54 and was breaking out like crazy, with no improvement using over the counter acne medicine. My skin is greatly improved. However, the result I am most excited about, is the great improvement I am experiencing with fibromyalgia. I have had pain from bursitis in my right him for over a year, I have had cortisone shots and PT with no relief. After taking Oracea for about two weeks, I noticed remarkable improvement in my hip pain. I am also feeling more energetic and more alert than I have in a long time. I will be seeing my rheumatologist in September and will be asking her opinion.”

charlievirginia December 9, 2014

Oracea (doxycycline): “Wow. I've had mild rosacea for years and had heard about this medication but was unable to take it because I was pregnant then nursing. I saw results in just over a week. I don't even need to use the Metrogel anymore. I take it at night with a glass of water and have never had any side effects. I definitely recommend this. Luckily my copay is only $25 month. I was told to be careful with sun exposure while taking this but it's winter so I'm hoping this isn't a problem in summer.”

TCHAYMAN July 5, 2017

“I cannot imagine ever going back to a time before taking this medicine. I take 40 mg once a day. My skin in nearly perfect! Before this, I had developed rosacea in my 40's. Mostly large cysts and sometimes a horrible bumpy bright red patch on my cheeks.”

Cliche AF · Taken for less than 1 month November 2, 2020

“Only a few weeks into my 100mg doxycycline 90 day supply and it's making a HUGE difference. I would say 99% of my Rosacea has cleared up and there's just a little bit of redness still lingering. I wish I had gotten this stuff sooner, it's a massive help. I'm using this drug in combination with over the counter topical azelaic acid which is likely helping as well. Always make sure you eat something before taking this medicine, it will upset your stomach if you don't.”

Wingy · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 15, 2018

“Life changing for me. After more than ten years of pustular rosacea, trying a wide range of creams including Rozex, I was losing hope. New doctor out me on 1 x 100mg doxycycline per day and now, six weeks after commencing treatment, I am almost spot free and my skin is almost back to before rosacea appeared. Fabulous results and no negatives (including no tum problems) other then learning never to take at the end of the day - couldn’t sleep at all.”

Danno99 April 2, 2017

Oracea (doxycycline): “Simply put, it works. I had taken tetracyclene previously for years, along with Metrogel, with limited results. As soon as I started with Oracea (prescribed by dermatologist) my rosacea symptoms disappeared. The downside of course is the cost. I have an HSA so it's all out of pocket until my deductible is met; but I pay because it's worth it. I've also found the generic is only slightly less expensive but the good there is it works just the same as Oracea there have been no differences in effectiveness. On a somewhat different note, I went in for an eye exam and my opthmologist told me Oracea was a ripoff and a marketing gimmick and all I had to do was take a low dose of doxy twice a day with the same effect for a fraction of the cost.”

K-L February 9, 2009

Oracea (doxycycline): “I was diagnosed with Rosacea years before taking this drug. The usual topical prescription did not give much relief so I quit using them. When I developed little hard bumps I went to a new doctor and was given Oracea samples to try. I was AMAZED! I thought for years that my face was always "puffy" due to lack of sleep or diet but after taking this for just 2 weeks I looked and felt so much better. Puffy skin GONE, redness DRASTICALLY decreased. I am SO EXCITED about this drug. I have just 2 negatives: #1 - my side effect was a burning sensation around my mouth and on my lips. No redness, just the sensation - this subsided in my 4th week of use. #2 - cost of this drug is too much. After my samples ran out I was unable to afford it and now suffer again.”

Drow · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2018

Oracea (doxycycline): “I was diagnosed with acne rosacea in my 20's, my mom (is 86 and I am in my 60s) has it to. My eyes had always been bloodshot which I attributed to my allergies but this spring they were worse and neither artificial tears nor Visine helped. In my dermatologist waiting room I read an article about ocular rosacea. When I asked the PA about it I told her about my attempts to resolve my bloodshot eyes. She said likely it is ocular rosacea and I have been on Oracea just about a week. Eyes are not as bloodshot, but what frustrated me was in the 40 yrs of seeing dermatogists, NONE had ever mentioned ocular rosacea to me, thank God I read an article about it. This is a new derm to me (2nd visit ever) and the PA mentioned the redness on my face, which I thought was high blood pressure, and said the Oracea may work on all the symptoms.”

TomMinnesota · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 5, 2013

Oracea (doxycycline): “Saw an improvement shortly after I started taking Oracea. Skin was smoother and nose area was not as bumpy and less skin flareups caused lots of upset stomach. Several times tool this medicine with water and maybe 40 minutes later would throw up. Also medicine is very expensive.”

Clel · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 1, 2020

Oracea (doxycycline): “Been taking Oracea in July and August (8 weeks), and it worked really well, but now, 1 month without, the rosacea is beginning to come back. Hoped for a longer remission, but it is still better than before so far. Had a bit stress (max trigger), so maybe thats why. Next time I will try taking Oracea without using metronidazole cream at the same time. I don't think my skin likes metronidazole. Best results are areas where I don't use the cream.”

BigBird · Taken for 5 to 10 years January 17, 2021

“I've been living with rosacea for the last 10 years, I'm now 60. Upon first spots, boils appearing, and as I love gardening, thought I'd had insect bites. Was put on various antibiotics, lymocycline, oxytetracycline, and on bad breakouts (huge pus filled, red boils) amoxiclav, huge tablets, with little effect! After seeing another doctor, who took photos and referred me onto consultant, was diagnosed with type 2 rosacea, and put on Effracea (doxycycline) 40mg modified release. Can honestly say, have never looked back! Within a week face started clearing, had a healthy glow, and when a spot tried to appear, never really erupted like before, and was brilliantly controlled. Recently another doctor declined my prescription, and got me to try Soolantra cream. I stopped tablets, applied cream, within one week face breaking out, by week two, huge spot, face felt dry, itchy. Thankfully doctor put me straight back onto tablets, now awaiting what I know will be a much better looking face.”

Anonymous February 22, 2018

“I have a rosacea flare up about every two years, cold weather (I live in the North) and stress seems to stir it up. Right now I take doxycycline once a day and use metrogel once at night. When it clears up, I got get IPL laser treatment to help reduce the damage. I also started taking probiotics to counteract the negative side effects of antibiotics. Hope this helps someone....”

Rosacea getting worse · Taken for less than 1 month May 23, 2017

Oracea (doxycycline): “Hi All - I have been taking Oracea for about a week now and have actually found my rosacea to worsen. I am considering stopping the treatment but wondering if anyone who likes the drug has had the experience of it getting worse before it gets better. Feeling very self-conscious and frustrated. Thank you.”

Learn more about Rosacea