User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 91 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Rosacea

"Doxycycline does not work on Rosacea or Occular Rosacea. Does nothing. Just as bad as Metrogel. Dermatologists keep prescribing these things. The old Squibb Sumycin Tetracycline used to do wonders. Now, they won't prescribe it."

alreadyhere July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I cannot imagine ever going back to a time before taking this medicine. I take 40 mg once a day. My skin in nearly perfect! Before this, I had developed rosacea in my 40's. Mostly large cysts and sometimes a horrible bumpy bright red patch on my cheeks."

TCHAYMAN July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Efracea ( the UK name for Oracea I believe) for nearly two weeks now. I would say that for the first 7-10 days my skin was somewhat worse: it was aggravated in that there seemed to be more spots, more obvious red rashly pimples/whiteheads but now at day 12 there is finally a definite improvement. It seemed during the first 7-10 days like the medicine was "forcing out toxins" - I know that's not science but that is how I would describe it. The redness is now reduced. The spots and bumps have gradually shrunken and reduced. My skin feels smoother when I run my fingers over it and looks smoother in the mirror. This is all over my face. My face looks less puffy. I can't believe the improvement. no side effects for me"

Nichten (taken for less than 1 month) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"do not get in the sun you will burn up bad but it really worked for me"

Anonymous June 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Oracea (doxycycline): "Hi All - I have been taking Oracea for about a week now and have actually found my rosacea to worsen. I am considering stopping the treatment but wondering if anyone who likes the drug has had the experience of it getting worse before it gets better. Feeling very self-conscious and frustrated. Thank you."

Rosacea getting worse (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Doxycycline (100mg per day) by my GP for acne rosacea, or papulopustular rosacea. I have tried other medications in the past both topical and oral without much success and so I decided to go to my doctor to request another referral to a dermatologist (waiting time is two months under the NHS) and he gave me Doxy til then. Only been taking it about a week so it's too early to comment on its effectiveness but I haven't experienced any adverse reactions to the drug (thank heavens!). I will keep you updated on my progress and/or regress on the drug. P.s. I only gave it 5/10 because I think at this point that that's a fair rating since it has neither improved nor worsened my symptoms and hasn't made me ill."

IntelligentMind (taken for less than 1 month) May 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Oracea (doxycycline): "I have tried low dose doxycycline and Periostat to treat ocular rosacea but both cause me to have a severe headache which does not go away. Only Oracea, unfortunately, with time-release doxycycline, keeps the dosage constant enough to avoid headaches. However, I no longer have pain and a feeling of "grittiness" in my eyes. Insurance covers some of cost (generic)"

Starrella (taken for 10 years or more) May 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking 20mg of doxycycline for 2 months now, one in the morning, one at bedtime. If anything, I think it has made me worse. I wake up to wash my face and it looks like I have a couple of welts on my cheeks. And the redness persists."

Mrs. Butterbean April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Oracea (doxycycline): "Simply put, it works. I had taken tetracyclene previously for years, along with Metrogel, with limited results. As soon as I started with Oracea (prescribed by dermatologist) my rosacea symptoms disappeared. The downside of course is the cost. I have an HSA so it's all out of pocket until my deductible is met; but I pay because it's worth it. I've also found the generic is only slightly less expensive but the good there is it works just the same as Oracea there have been no differences in effectiveness. On a somewhat different note, I went in for an eye exam and my opthmologist told me Oracea was a ripoff and a marketing gimmick and all I had to do was take a low dose of doxy twice a day with the same effect for a fraction of the cost."

Danno99 April 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was 49 and I still believe it's an internal issue as I was on Doxycycline 50 mg. twice a day with soolantra at night ( thin application) I decided to try and ween off my treatment, that lasted about a week and the p&p's came right back and so did the redness. I went back to my laser doc and did 2 sessions of Excel V beam and 50 mg. of Doxy 2 times a day, soolantra at night, added eating raw sauerkraut almost daily for the massive amounts of probiotics and mega vitamin C from fermented cabbage for my gut flora. I gave up excess sugar completely (cookies, muffins etc.., gave up alcohol too 100%. I am taking Rosadyn also. I am not endorsing, just sayin. One full month with no p&p's no redness, skin texture much better. Good luck."

Still anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed for rosacea by a doctor. Cleared up my bumps a bit. I'd say 90% gone. Doctor said it was good for me and to continue. Did for a while (maybe 9 months) until my muscles hurt so bad I couldn't walk, cook, open bottles, etc. without help. I'd have to take painkillers and wait a good 30 minutes before I could get out of bed. Spent five days in the hospital. Doctors there said it was the medicine causing my severe pain."

Fightingrosacea January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Oracea (doxycycline): "This medicine is the best thing that ever happened to me....it has done wonders for my Rosacea!!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Doxycycline 50 mg. once a day a few years ago for rosacea, my nose was red and ruddy with p&p's, flaky, stingy, you name it. I was on and off the Doxy because it really wasn't helping but I thought my problem had to do with a compromised immune system since I wasn't born with Rosacea, I developed symptoms about 6 years ago at age 49 so I was sure it was an internal issue. I have been to 3 dermatologists and 2 laser specialists since I started with symptoms, dozens of on line miracle cures too and no improvement to speak of. One month ago I went to another dermatologist and was prescribed 50 mg. doxy TWICE a day along with soolantra which I also had tried but to no avail until now. I have been basically p&p free, redness 50%"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"FYI about cost of Doxycycline Monohydrate. I find it effective. WalGreens has a membership that cost $20 a year for prescriptions. This reduces the cost from $200 a month to $25. Hopes this helps."

Chris Bro October 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on Doxycycline for many months with amazing relief of my severe rosacea with ocular rosacea. In the past couple of weeks I have developed an itchy rash (hives) on my scalp which spread to my whole back until I had to stop using the antibiotic this morning. I am very upset because my rosacea symptoms were quite severe. I gather I have developed an allergy to this wonderful drug and am at my wits' end to know what to do. I guess I'll have to go back to my physician and hope that there's something else out there that I can take."

Jane33 September 26, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I posted in june after starting Doxy for the first time. this medicine has helped clear up my skin very very well.. It has helped give me my confidence back as my face was so bad . I didnt want to go out. Metrogel and Finacea was far too harsh for my skin. so I will never use them again. ( I was put on these by a Dermatologist. ) I am on a second course of slow release Doxy for another two months as a few stubborn /deep but now very small bumps were still there but my skin was BAD. I am fortunate that in the UK the prescriptions are very affordable. I feel for people who cant afford to pay the big prices in other countries. I would recommend Doxy . I did research before visiting my Dr. and asked for this medicine.."

Barbarelli August 21, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Oracea (doxycycline): "I am 16 years old and my acne has been a problem for a little over 6 months. I was previously on Acticlate for about 2 months which did not help my skin much and had terrible side effects like vomitting. My dermatologist switched me to Oracea 40 mg and I was hopeful. The first week on it, my skin became so much worse and I wanted to get off of it. However, after that first week, my skin began to clear up and now only has a few red spots. This medication works great, you just have to push through the first week and remember that things get worse before they get better. I also love Oracea because it has no side effects on me which is great."

Alexis O June 29, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Oracea (doxycycline): "Oracea worked perfectly for clearing up my rosacea. I used it for 4 years. Now Obamacare has screwed everything up so bad, insurance companies do not cover it anymore. I can't afford it. rosacea is back. Guess I am just going to have to be ugly because nothing else seems to work."

Gbert June 9, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"my skin was very bad and very sore and red with cyst like lumps around my mouth my lips were swollen because of inflamation . this antibiotic from the first day took the pain away which was a great relief to me.. It took nearly two weeks before the lesions went away but I expected this as they were bad the worst I had ever had.. I was also given a topical antibiotic, which did not make my skin dry or flaky . i had googled the doxycycline before I went to my GP so i asked for this one as seemed to give good results. I would recommend it I was on 100 mg for 28 days twice a day had to drink a full glass of water when taking. I had no side effects..I still have the red marks which will take time to fade but can cover with makeup."

barbarelli (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Oracea (doxycycline): "Once a day dosing, works better that generic."

Chrisy2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Amazing. 3 weeks ago my face was very red and burned like fire. I had developed deep red papules all over my nose and my upper cheeks. Total strangers stared at my face and asked me if I was OK a few times. I was so embarrassed I started staying home from social activities. 3 weeks after starting Doxycycline and Metrogel my face is 95% healed. My normal skin tone is for the most part restored. I only have a single tiny papule on my nose that is a light red color and not deep red. The deep red color and burning sensation are gone. I still have a pink tone to my nose and cheeks, but it is not unattractive and I actually feel comfortable going out without makeup on now."

Raquiellet May 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This did not cause any change in my rosacea whatsoever. I was started on 100 mg daily. After one month of no change, I contacted the dermatologist. They increased it to 2 times a day. I did that for about 1 week with no changes and finally said forget it. I'm not going to continue to take medication that doesn't work."

sarasarasara (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had reached a point where my severe rosacea was extremely painful. I had contacted my doctor and begged for a prescription for amoxicillian. That was an antibiotic I was on for another condition, and cleared up my rosacea for a couple of weeks. The doctor said doxycycline would be better for my acne. I had not known at the time what I was suffering from was severe rosacea . my derm at the time diagnosed me with severe cystic acne. After 1 year of trial and error with numerous antibiotics, she put me on isotretinoin (sp). I took claravis, apprx 80 mg for 10 months. After being on a 2 wk course of doxy, my face has been clear for 11 months now."

emeraldspring70 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used to have rosacea problem. Doctor told me, he prescribe Doxycycline. I took 1 capsules daily until all gone but still does't help much then I search on internet and find chinese herb" centella asiatica (Gotu kola)". I crush and apply it on my face. With in one time using I can see a lot improve. The blood vessels, irritation eye and skin, swollen, redness bump like acne reduce obviously. Then I apply it 4-5 times a day, with in 3-4 days all those problem disappear. believe me. You can search the benefit of that herb first. It's work with me."

Mary ja April 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have rosacea triggered by heat/intense exercise. Went through 2 rounds of accutane in college, which helped for a short while. Got reprieve through my late 20s/30s, then it game back in my 40s w exercise. Tried to treat it naturally for two months, then gave up and saw the dermatologist. Started the doxycycline 1 pill 2 times a day and my face, which had virtually every pore affected with a bump --and under eye area affected, was almost completely clear in one week. After 2 weeks I went down to one pill per day. On that dose I get a couple bumps after working out, but they go away in a day instead of 3 weeks. Also do the metro gel and sulfur wash. Been a month now. A little heartburn/sour stomach after taking it, but excellent results."

Runnergirl73 February 7, 2016