User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 88 medications used in the treatment of Rosacea.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Rosacea

"I was 49 and I still believe it's an internal issue as I was on Doxycycline 50 mg. twice a day with soolantra at night ( thin application) I decided to try and ween off my treatment, that lasted about a week and the p&p's came right back and so did the redness. I went back to my laser doc and did 2 sessions of Excel V beam and 50 mg. of Doxy 2 times a day, soolantra at night, added eating raw sauerkraut almost daily for the massive amounts of probiotics and mega vitamin C from fermented cabbage for my gut flora. I gave up excess sugar completely (cookies, muffins etc.., gave up alcohol too 100%. I am taking Rosadyn also. I am not endorsing, just sayin. One full month with no p&p's no redness, skin texture much better. Good luck."

Still anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Prescribed for rosacea by a doctor. Cleared up my bumps a bit. I'd say 90% gone. Doctor said it was good for me and to continue. Did for a while (maybe 9 months) until my muscles hurt so bad I couldn't walk, cook, open bottles, etc. without help. I'd have to take painkillers and wait a good 30 minutes before I could get out of bed. Spent five days in the hospital. Doctors there said it was the medicine causing my severe pain."

Fightingrosacea January 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Oracea (doxycycline): "This medicine is the best thing that ever happened to me....it has done wonders for my Rosacea!!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 5, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed Doxycycline 50 mg. once a day a few years ago for rosacea, my nose was red and ruddy with p&p's, flaky, stingy, you name it. I was on and off the Doxy because it really wasn't helping but I thought my problem had to do with a compromised immune system since I wasn't born with Rosacea, I developed symptoms about 6 years ago at age 49 so I was sure it was an internal issue. I have been to 3 dermatologists and 2 laser specialists since I started with symptoms, dozens of on line miracle cures too and no improvement to speak of. One month ago I went to another dermatologist and was prescribed 50 mg. doxy TWICE a day along with soolantra which I also had tried but to no avail until now. I have been basically p&p free, redness 50%"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"FYI about cost of Doxycycline Monohydrate. I find it effective. WalGreens has a membership that cost $20 a year for prescriptions. This reduces the cost from $200 a month to $25. Hopes this helps."

Chris Bro October 9, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on Doxycycline for many months with amazing relief of my severe rosacea with ocular rosacea. In the past couple of weeks I have developed an itchy rash (hives) on my scalp which spread to my whole back until I had to stop using the antibiotic this morning. I am very upset because my rosacea symptoms were quite severe. I gather I have developed an allergy to this wonderful drug and am at my wits' end to know what to do. I guess I'll have to go back to my physician and hope that there's something else out there that I can take."

Jane33 September 26, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I posted in june after starting Doxy for the first time. this medicine has helped clear up my skin very very well.. It has helped give me my confidence back as my face was so bad . I didnt want to go out. Metrogel and Finacea was far too harsh for my skin. so I will never use them again. ( I was put on these by a Dermatologist. ) I am on a second course of slow release Doxy for another two months as a few stubborn /deep but now very small bumps were still there but my skin was BAD. I am fortunate that in the UK the prescriptions are very affordable. I feel for people who cant afford to pay the big prices in other countries. I would recommend Doxy . I did research before visiting my Dr. and asked for this medicine.."

Barbarelli August 21, 2016

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Oracea (doxycycline): "I am 16 years old and my acne has been a problem for a little over 6 months. I was previously on Acticlate for about 2 months which did not help my skin much and had terrible side effects like vomitting. My dermatologist switched me to Oracea 40 mg and I was hopeful. The first week on it, my skin became so much worse and I wanted to get off of it. However, after that first week, my skin began to clear up and now only has a few red spots. This medication works great, you just have to push through the first week and remember that things get worse before they get better. I also love Oracea because it has no side effects on me which is great."

Alexis O June 29, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Oracea (doxycycline): "Oracea worked perfectly for clearing up my rosacea. I used it for 4 years. Now Obamacare has screwed everything up so bad, insurance companies do not cover it anymore. I can't afford it. rosacea is back. Guess I am just going to have to be ugly because nothing else seems to work."

Gbert June 9, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"my skin was very bad and very sore and red with cyst like lumps around my mouth my lips were swollen because of inflamation . this antibiotic from the first day took the pain away which was a great relief to me.. It took nearly two weeks before the lesions went away but I expected this as they were bad the worst I had ever had.. I was also given a topical antibiotic, which did not make my skin dry or flaky . i had googled the doxycycline before I went to my GP so i asked for this one as seemed to give good results. I would recommend it I was on 100 mg for 28 days twice a day had to drink a full glass of water when taking. I had no side effects..I still have the red marks which will take time to fade but can cover with makeup."

barbarelli (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2016

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Oracea (doxycycline): "Once a day dosing, works better that generic."

Chrisy2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Amazing. 3 weeks ago my face was very red and burned like fire. I had developed deep red papules all over my nose and my upper cheeks. Total strangers stared at my face and asked me if I was OK a few times. I was so embarrassed I started staying home from social activities. 3 weeks after starting Doxycycline and Metrogel my face is 95% healed. My normal skin tone is for the most part restored. I only have a single tiny papule on my nose that is a light red color and not deep red. The deep red color and burning sensation are gone. I still have a pink tone to my nose and cheeks, but it is not unattractive and I actually feel comfortable going out without makeup on now."

Raquiellet May 1, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This did not cause any change in my rosacea whatsoever. I was started on 100 mg daily. After one month of no change, I contacted the dermatologist. They increased it to 2 times a day. I did that for about 1 week with no changes and finally said forget it. I'm not going to continue to take medication that doesn't work."

sarasarasara (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had reached a point where my severe rosacea was extremely painful. I had contacted my doctor and begged for a prescription for amoxicillian. That was an antibiotic I was on for another condition, and cleared up my rosacea for a couple of weeks. The doctor said doxycycline would be better for my acne. I had not known at the time what I was suffering from was severe rosacea . my derm at the time diagnosed me with severe cystic acne. After 1 year of trial and error with numerous antibiotics, she put me on isotretinoin (sp). I took claravis, apprx 80 mg for 10 months. After being on a 2 wk course of doxy, my face has been clear for 11 months now."

emeraldspring70 (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I used to have rosacea problem. Doctor told me, he prescribe Doxycycline. I took 1 capsules daily until all gone but still does't help much then I search on internet and find chinese herb" centella asiatica (Gotu kola)". I crush and apply it on my face. With in one time using I can see a lot improve. The blood vessels, irritation eye and skin, swollen, redness bump like acne reduce obviously. Then I apply it 4-5 times a day, with in 3-4 days all those problem disappear. believe me. You can search the benefit of that herb first. It's work with me."

Mary ja April 7, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have rosacea triggered by heat/intense exercise. Went through 2 rounds of accutane in college, which helped for a short while. Got reprieve through my late 20s/30s, then it game back in my 40s w exercise. Tried to treat it naturally for two months, then gave up and saw the dermatologist. Started the doxycycline 1 pill 2 times a day and my face, which had virtually every pore affected with a bump --and under eye area affected, was almost completely clear in one week. After 2 weeks I went down to one pill per day. On that dose I get a couple bumps after working out, but they go away in a day instead of 3 weeks. Also do the metro gel and sulfur wash. Been a month now. A little heartburn/sour stomach after taking it, but excellent results."

Runnergirl73 February 7, 2016

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Started taking 6 months ago and it appears to be doing an effective job of managing my rosacea. Still get an occasional outbreak, but not as noticeable. Unfortunately the cost is a killer, with insurance the annual cost is over $2,000. May need to find something else."

Kee2 January 28, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"The reason I started this medication is because I have four bumps on my cheeks that's cause by my Rosacea & they won't go away, they will swell up and then turn pink for a while, it's just a cycle. I recently started this medication on Jan 4th. I haven't see any change or had any of the side effects many people have been complaining about. Maybe it's just too soon to say anything, it's 50mg but I have to take it twice a day on a full stomach NOT empty like many people do. I am also using metro gel so. I'm getting my monthly soon and I usually get little pimples. The bumps are getting lighter and a bit smaller but one of the bumps just swelled up and it's red and it looks like it has a bit of pus, so it sucks right now"

Remmus (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Oracea (doxycycline): "Too soon for me to tell if this is working, but for you concerned about cost it is now generic and costs me $10 a month."

Sarah c December 5, 2015

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Oracea (doxycycline): "Helps with the burning and Bump flare ups. When used all the time completely makes me symptom free"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2015

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Oracea (doxycycline): "Good, no side effects, other then depression. Finally found a way to control acne. Once the doctors coupon ended so did my prescription and the depressed feeling of a drug company playing, got you hooked now pay up, began. College student that can not afford hundreds of dollars a month to stay on it. College insurance and family insurance does not cover doctors recommended treatment drug."

College dude November 26, 2015

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Oracea (doxycycline): "The first day I used Oracea I had a friend ask what I had done differently. She added, your face is not red. It works well for me! The only issue I have is the medicine does not clear up blemishes as well as Minocycline."

First day had someone comment. (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Oracea (doxycycline): "Started taking for acne. It helped a lot the first three weeks but the second I had my period it's like I might as well not even be taking the oracea because I see little to no difference. I get diarrhea and upset stomach in addition to taking this medication. For me, I'll probably need to take a stronger medicine."

Jamie Elizabeth July 25, 2015

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm 53 and have very bad rosacea. My derm put me on doxycycline 100mg x2 a day. It cleared up my face great. She reduced the dosage to 50mg x2 a day everything was great until I started having joint problems. I never had that first joint prob before. I went off med for a while and rosacea came back with a vengeance. My doc told me to try med again and if joint prob returned she would take me off of med for good. I did this and all of my joints got very bad so I stopped taking drug. It's been 6 months and my joints are still recovering. The med package said 1 in 6 will develop joint problems. I'm one of them. Now srosacea is bad and I am bumming heavily."

Shack D July 6, 2015

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm giving this a 5 because I'm sure it is effective. I just want to warn people about how common esophagitis is with this medicine. My derm gave me this two weeks ago and I'm feeling like death. I can barely swallow any liquids. I was only able to get a couple hundred calories yesterday. I felt like going to the ER but there really isn't much they can do for you. You just have to let it run its course. It may take two weeks to get back to normal. You don't appreciate being able to eat and drink and swallow until it hurts like one of the worse pains in my life to do so. Major chest pain. I can't express how awful this is to deal with."

ajcmr (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2015