User Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Chlamydia Infection

Also known as: Vibramycin, Oracea, Monodox, Doxy 100, Adoxa, Doryx, Avidoxy, Targadox, Acticlate, Alodox, Uracil, Doxy-D, Oraxyl, Doxy-Caps, Morgidox, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Adoxa CK, LymePak, Mondoxyne NL Okebo Doxy 200 Doryx MPC …show all brand names

Doxycycline has an average rating of 6.6 out of 10 from a total of 70 ratings for the treatment of Chlamydia Infection. 54% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 24% reported a negative effect.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

6.6/10 average rating

Compare all 59 medications used in the treatment of Chlamydia Infection.

Reviews for Doxycycline

Sonja · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2021

“Before taking doxcycline my symptoms were not really showing as much, but as soon as the third day hit, my symptoms got worse and now it’s more discharge and feeling very hot. I hope it works, I have to take it for 7 days twice and day and I’m on day 6.”

Cody · Taken for less than 1 month July 7, 2021

“I am a young, active, male. I am one of the happiest people you will ever meet. I have never been so afraid as I have on this medicine as I had suicidal thought and I had no previous thoughts of suicide. It works for getting rid of an infection but be careful if you have any suicidal thoughts . Please be cautious.”

Jason1010 · Taken for less than 1 month June 4, 2021

“Finished my medication on Monday, and it was smooth and painless... Let me say, that you have to be a fool to take these antibiotics without eating a carbs loaded meal! If you do that, you won’t feel any side effects! I only had bubble guts, and that’s it. It’s been a week since I stopped and I have no symptoms of chlamydia, the frequency of urinating stopped a couple days ago. Eat, take your two pills [take the second about 6 hours after the first} and you’ll be fine.”

Unknown · Taken for less than 1 month January 18, 2021

“I got tested positive for Chlamydia and was prescribed Doxycyline for a week and Ciprofloxiane for 10 days (for some reason) by my doctor. All symptoms have seemed to go within time but the penile discharge hasn't gone away. It's been about 5 days since I stopped doxycycline and a couple of days since I stopped the other one. Is it normal to still be discharging?!”

Anonymous December 7, 2019

“DON’T let these reviews scare you! I was terrified to take these meds after testing positive for Chlamydia because these reviews are so scary. I have a massive phobia of vomit/vomiting and had a huge panic attack before taking my first dose. I awaited the inevitable side effects. 1 week later and I can say that I have had ZERO side effects from this drug. No nausea, no bowl issues, no heart burn. After day 4 all symptoms of Chlamydia were gone and I was feeling very healthy. Here’s hoping my retest comes back negative and I’ll be very happy with the experience and result. All I can say is, don’t worry, Remember that everyone experiences side effects differently and most of these reviews are horror stories. I had a full glass of water with every dose and then another full glass over the next 10-20 minutes after taking it. Hope this helps someone out there! Good luck.”

J. April 15, 2019

“I had an unprotected sex last December 2018 and got this chlamydia. Took doxycycline (10 days) and the symptoms were gone maybe by day 5. I really thought the infection was gone but this month (Apr 2019) my symptoms came back. Idk what to do this time. If you have any suggestions I'd really appreciate it.”

Jane · Taken for less than 1 month August 4, 2020

“I took this medication doxycycline for the treatment of chlamydia and it worked my symptoms went away in about 4 days but when I got retested in 2 weeks I was still positive! And no I didn’t have sex after taking all the medicine I’m so upset I don’t understand why it didn’t cure it”

myb · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2021

“So just started my prescription of doxycycline twice a day for 7 days today. I have a phobia of being sick (nausea, vomiting..etc) so I was panicking when I took them. I waited 30 minutes to see if anything was gonna happen and nothing did, no side effects at all, just some mild heartburn but not bad at all don’t let these reviews scare you at all. You’ll be all right.”

Pen name · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2017

“I got a wonderful text from an ex-partner telling me he had tested positive for Chlamydia. I bought 1g of Azithromycin online as I didn't have time to go to the clinic and I had had 2 irregular periods. By the end of the week I didn't feel right, had burning urine, which was new so I ordered 7 days of Doxycycline 100mg. These are brilliant as long as you strictly follow the instructions! Don't eat Dairy with them, no multi vitamins or indigestion remedies. Don't take less than an hour before bed and make sure you eat something with them!! Side effects for me were nausea if I didn't eat, a headache (manageable) and heartburn if I didn't drink enough water through the day. Burning pee cleared by day2, discharge by day4.”

IMingle2much · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

“ It has literally been 6 or 7 times I've gotten chlamydial infections . Usually azithromycin 1 time pills kills it within 48 hrs. Not this time. Azithromicin didn't work. After 3 days I went back and got doxycycline. It literally took 7 days to work. This was a nightmare. But doxy works . stomach trouble comes with it. I actually think I have IBS from all the antibiotics from STDs. That is all.”

deeplyconfusedperson October 1, 2015

“Have been taking doxycycline for 6 days now, its giving me terrible nausea, the pus is still coming out of my vag and i still have slight pain on urinating, doesn't look like its working for me. Guys please can anyone help?”

J · Taken for less than 1 month April 21, 2020

“Had burning sensation when I urinated, itching within the urethra, and white/clear discharge from my penis. I took two tablets a day for 7 days, and by day 7 all symptoms had cleared. I had a test come back negative just after completing the antibiotics... However exactly one week later, after completing the antibiotics the discharge and itching have returned!! Dr said to wait another week and see what happens. What's going on?”

The simple truth of this September 20, 2016

“Okay so ive been having a bad smell, discharge for awhile, scared to come to my senses that SOMETHING IS WRONG, find out I have Chlamydia & Gonnarhea, I was prescribed Doxycycleline, stomach BURNED WHEN TRYING TO EAT FOOD, missed a day but took it the next, DO NOT TRY TO CATCH UP, ONCE YOU MISS JUST CONTINUE YOUR 2 A DAY NOT ANYMORE THAN RECOMMENDED, but discharge, odor all cleared up within 5 days, still have until the end of the week( today's Tuesday) to take them, don't worry ladies, everything is okay, some things take longer on people”

Leigh · Taken for less than 1 month May 7, 2020

“I was diagnosed with Chlamydia the doctor gave me doxycycline to take for fourteen days and I have four days left of taking them and my side effects are itching... I tried everything to keep the itching to a minimum like taking a hot shower, and wearing cotton underwear, and using pad for the discharge, and changing the pad every time I go to the bathroom but nothing seems to be working!!! This is really making me upset”

TheLordMyHealer · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2013

“I took doxycycline hyclate for a Chlamydia infection. Prior to taking the medicine there was pus coming out of my urethra and I had a burning session when I went to pee. Within 2 days of beginning the treatment (100mg twice a day) the pus stop coming out and the pain in my penis was gone. I will keep taking the treatment for the recommended 7 days, but am already very happy with the results. The doxycycline I took was in powder form and I would mix it in a cup of water. Apart from the taste I didn't really notice any side effects at all. Also I had a very bad cough and sinus infection that wouldn't go away, but after taking the medication for 2 days I feel a lot better.”

Idk this person March 6, 2016

“I notice that every time I urinated it was burning real bad. It got to a point where I was also burning when I wasn't urinating. I then requested a doctors appoint... Doctor had me take a urine test. I tested positive for chlamydia and was prescribed 4 pills for the STI. After 24 hours the burning feeling started to go away and so I thought everything was okay. I retested 1.5 month later instead of 2 weeks after. I still tested positive. My doctor had me come in that day and get a injection and then I was prescribed doxycycline mono 100 MG for 7 days. I'm currently on the meds no side affects at all. I do notice that after 30 to 60 min of taking the meds I feel minor burning. I'm still 4 day in. I'll let you know what I test 2weeks from now”

Heather Reed · Taken for less than 1 month February 8, 2020

“This doxycycline medication gave me no side effect symptoms. Like any other medicine and it’s symptoms it depends on the person. Ask your partner for STI paperwork and protect yourself so you won’t have to obsess over these comments :)”

ClamVictim · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2019

“Had classic symptoms of Chlamydia..Severe burning with urination, frequency and urgency of urination, itch and pain at tip of penis and fatigue. Started 10 day course of Doxycycline Hyclate 100 mg two times a day. By 48 hours, symptoms went down to 50%. in next 5 days, symptoms are only 10% of what they were at peak. But, I have very low appetite and constipation with solid dark pieces of stool. And some itching at bottom. Seems like a great medicine for Chlamydia infection.”

ChancesNot November 19, 2016

“After having intercourse with my ex husband, terrible mistake... After the 3rd day start having a discharge, thinking it was yeast infection... Not! The odor came followed by really bad discharge and stomach cramps. Trying to wait to see my PCP, I couldn't take it anymore... Emergency room I went... Treated for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea with Doxycycline Monohydrate, doing well!... I know I was not tripping, trying to give my ex the benefit of the doubt, Not... Women intuitions, if You have any of the signs, you know your body, don't best yourself up... Go get check... Results vary but I give this medications an A rating... Good luck!”

Carrie · Taken for less than 1 month October 17, 2019

“Got Chlamydia. Took doxycycline twice a day for 7 days. Bad nausea. I got my period the week after. My symptoms were gone before day 7. After my period was over, my symptoms came back. Infection did not clear up. I am very disappointed.”

Thegirlwhogetscheatedon · Taken for less than 1 month October 7, 2015

“This medicine literally worked for me within two days I have to take it for 14 days due to 50mg dosage. I've noticed I become hungry after taking it but other than that it has cleared up any odor or discharge I recommend taking it as suggested to prevent getting pid or any lower pain.”

MKbabe · Taken for less than 1 month September 17, 2017

“Day 4 on this medication. Note I did not have any symptoms before being diagnosed but now it burns when I urinate and even after. Other than that I've had no symptoms. And on a positive note, it has cleared 80% of my acne which is awesome! Let's hope it gets rid of my infection.”

DID NOT WORK October 27, 2017

“Took zithromax (one single liquid dose) DID NOT WORK . Then 10 days later took it again DID NOT WORK. ***after seeing the reviews here, Took Doxycycline 200mg a day for 10 days – DID NOT WORK? Any suggestions?”

Umm · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2020

“I’ve been taking doxycycline for 5 days and I feel terrible. When I started taking it I had barely any symptoms. My discharges smelled a little bit bad but in the past five days it has gotten way worse. I also puked in the morning and felt nauseous the whole day. I’m kind of scared that it won’t work because I puked 10 minutes after taking one of the pills.”

e56k · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2020

“Was prescribed Doxycycline after a partner tested positive for chlamydia who I recently had intercourse with. I would have had chlamydia for the past month or two, however, I had no symptoms. Initially, the doxycycline was 'working' fine because I had no symptoms to measure the effectiveness. Be careful what you wish for! 6 days into taking the medication I was suddenly displaying all the chlamydia symptoms, and by day 7 it had worsened. I'm a guy too - I was literally unable to urinate due to the pain I was feeling - to make matters worse there was a disgusting discharge oozing out of me at all hours that smelt like poop. This has continued for 10 days after the treatment supposedly rid the infection from my body. I called up my GP and they simply told me to wait 2 weeks and see how it goes. No explanation as to how taking the doxycycline somehow kickstarted my symptoms, no explanation as to why I still have symptoms 10 days after the treatment finished either.”

Poppy · Taken for less than 1 month October 26, 2019

“Caught chlamydia off my cheating boyfriend. Day one severe sciatic pain ...day 3 red itchy rash, no more discharge, feeling little bit depressed, but could be having chlamydia thats doing that? Am I the one in one million suffering this nerve pain like the test subjects?”

Heavy84 October 27, 2016

“I was prescribed to take this medication for 10 days due to my chlamydia infection,after I had suffered from bacterial prostatitis. Side effects very mild,mostly upset stomach.In comparison with cipro,which was the worst drug ever (stuffed up my muscles and I had problems concentrating,along with anxiety),this one did not give me so much discomfort. The thing is,it did not clear my infection. This is my day 2 after having to take it again,I still have the symptoms. The thing is,I was prescribed 3 doses of azithromicin as well,so I don t know what to do to get rid of this bacteria. I hope,this time it will work.”

Chico · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

“Remember not to lay down after taking doxycycline . Take it with a drink and a meal. Day 5 of this treatment. Good so far. No problems except for a slight headache after taking two too soon together. I still just want to hurry up, finish them and get checked again.”

Learn more about Chlamydia Infection