User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 444 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

Acticlate (doxycycline): "I've been on for one week now, 75mg a day/3months. I have for the most part always had clear skin all of my life w/ an occasional pimple. I'm 27 and just this year I've been breaking out, cystic acne out of no where. I finally went to the derm after everything else failed. Like I said, it's been a week and I can tell you this medicine is tricky. I have some side effects, abnominal pain, severe headaches, couple others, but I see a such a difference! The stuff stuck in my skin is coming out, it's not drying my skin like trentinoin did. I've never been on medicine like this so take it at night before bed to avoid feeling some of the symptoms. Avoid the sun+ any drinking when on this, it will make you vomit!"

Candy sweets (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The dermatologist prescribed me this and told me it would clear up in about two months and it hasn't cleared up at all after the two months. My face looks the exact same it did two months ago. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough but absolutely no progress has been made."

idk103820588 June 16, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this alongside clindamycin and benzoyl phosphate gel to treat mild acne on my face. It was a dosage of 100mg for 30days. Around two weeks in my acne had improved significantly but in came in another problem , Hyperpigmentation. My face is currently 3 shades darker than the rest of my body. I went back to my dermatologist and she prescribed another antibiotic and told me to discontinue the doxycycline. The discoloration has yet to improve but its only been three days since I stopped the doxycycline. Hoping and praying the hyperpigmentation will eventually fade. I wouldn't recommend doxycycline since I believe there is a better more permanent solution for the treatment of acne"

Thedezkaka June 10, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking this antibiotic for almost 2 months now and it worked so well for my acne. After one week of using it, my acne was gone completely. Always take it after a meal and please take probiotics while you're taking it otherwise your digestive system will get upset (this goes for any type of antibiotics ever)."

Victo_bc June 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Dermatologist prescribed me 150mg 1 time per day to treat cystic acne. Worked great and cleared up my face quickly. I have been fortunate to not have any side effects, as I tend to get the rare but serious side effects from other medications I have taken in the past. I also had a sinus infection, but it did nothing for that at all."

TishaR89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed this while awaiting accutane (as a female I'm required to wait an entire month before being allowed to start it). I had severe acne including over ten cysts on my face at a time...took effect after the first day my skin began improving. I have lots of scarring but no new cysts and the ones I had have cleared up or are in the process and I'm only a week and a half in. I'm on two a day at 100mg each. Highly recommended. Worked pretty quickly for me!"

CoolDucky June 1, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I and about one week in (100mg twice a day) and I think I am in the purging period. All of the closed comedons (aka texture) on my forehead has started to come out as white heads, and the pre-existing white heads seem to be getting worse. I really hope this will be over soon, but I am hopeful it will work! I'm sure it is just the course that the drug is taking on my body. On the bright side though, all of the acne on my chest and back is gone since taking it! For context I am also using a Retin A cream and Clindamycin Phosphate gel."

Alex C May 30, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Doxycycline for acne works wonders! I will say if your acne has gotten really bad and you just started on doxycycline you will need to be patient with this drug and give it time to work its magic. I highly recommend taking it with food or else you will throw up as I did. Taking it on a normal schedule I have seen does improve the use of the drug for example taking it everyday in the morning or night around the same time is good! Remember everybody's body responds differently to medication. But, if I were to just start looking into acne medicine I would start on this. Not too strong as Accutane, but not too weak either. I had moderate to severe cystic acne twice and it has been able to clear both incidents. Never had bad side effects on this"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"One month since taking 100mg a day, and my skin is now flawless. I noticed a difference after a few days. No side effects. Wish I had sought help sooner, after suffering moderate acne for years. Hope it doesn't come back after finishing the three month course."

KA73 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have moderate to almost severe acnez I have been on doxycycline for almost 4 months now and my skin have improve drastically. At the first part of taking the medication, I started purging real bad that I dread leaving the house everytime. Have some patience with this medication because it only took effect for me on the 3rd month. I'm only left with all the acne scarring now, very occasional pimple popping out and breaking out when it's about to be the time of my month! This is my third time trying out this antibiotic as the first two times I never had determination to continue the entire phase. Make sure your derm is lowering your dosage along the journey because I heard it helps a lot from avoiding horrible break out after stopping med."

S.C May 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was recently hospitalized due to cysts on my ovaries that caused me severe pain. There was a bacterial infection going on as well so I was prescribed doxycycline-hyclate 100mg. Even though it was for my ovarian cysts I noticed after taking doxy for 3 days straight (2 capsules a day) my acne had cleared up! I haven't seen my face this clear since 2008. The downside was that it caused diarrhea and bad abdominal cramps. I miss my face being this clear so I'm trying to stick out the pain "

TVan88 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Cleared up my acne and is keeping it away. I've used it for about 2 months now and almsot all my acne is gone. Using this along with adapalene to get rid of acne scars."

wavvyem (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I first went on Doxy for 6 months with little to no improvement. My dermatologist continued to prescribe me Doxy, along with Epiduo, 2 medicated face washes, Aczone and Tazorac. It has been over a month and I am beyond frustrated. I have seen no improvement on my cystic cheek acne, and every morning I wake up to 7-15 new whiteheads. I want to go on accutane but my dermatologist tells me I am not a good candidate. I hate being ashamed of my face and feeling ugly because of my stupid acne."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Four months with 40 mg/day no change. Terrible experience. Wash religiously."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on doxy 50g once a day I am onto my 3rd week I can tell you in the first week saw a bit more flare up in my acne, 2nd week came around worst flare up I've ever had! And it's still continuing. Either my dosage is too little or it's just making things a whole lot worse. My face wasn't that bad 3 weeks ago. I have never had acne this bad before I'm 23 and have always had pimples but only small ones and there odd big one.. now cheeks, jawline and neck covered in cystic acne Starting doxy I even stopped all sugar, started drinking green tea and eating more fruit and only drinking water!"

Angel93 (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this medication for 2 weeks now and I've seen amazing results its still bringing out tiny blemishes but its working very well"

mmmmim (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have used doxy and it works. I stopped using it?, for almost a year and I didn't have an acne breakout. Then the following year I used Diane 35 they are also good. All I'm gonna say is we all different it may work for others or not."

Azania May 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Day 3 of taking doxycycline and my eyes are burning and swelling, any one else have this problem? Does it eventually stop? Should I stop taking or should I tough it out?"

MollieNic May 3, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Don't expect this to work quickly. Most people are hoping for something to clear their acne up right away and I can assure you this isn't it. My acne wasn't totally clear until about three months into using this medication, and there was a lot of suffering in the in between time. And once it cleared up, the dermatologist took me off it to avoid bacterial resistance. So now my acne is coming back, and by now having been off doxy for about two months my acne is almost as bad as it was before. If you're looking for a permanent solution or a quick fix, this isn't a good choice"

Borgo April 30, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hello, in 2015 I was suffering from moderate acne. My face was full of acne & marks. I was going through depression & the result was clearly showing up on my face. Later as I came out of depression in March 2016 but my face was still showing some moderate acne. Which used to worsen sometimes. Later in August I visited dermatologist. He prescribed me doxycycline for 2 months. He even added that I should not take it for a long period of time & within 2 weeks I could see results. It worked wonderfully. My face was totally cleared up. I still suffer from mild acne but I go back to doxy dosage. Which is if I'm taking it now for 15 days then I won't take it for next 1 or 1.5 month. Just to avoid resistance. But I must say doxy is saviour."

Sunshine07013 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was suffering from major cystic acne on my cheeks, forehead and chin. Everyone started commenting on the horrible situation of my face :( I started feeling frustrated. I used to feel ashamed going outside. Then my doctor prescribed me doxycycline tablet (1/day), clyndamine gel. It took one month to start showing its effects. And believe me ..my skin started becoming real clear. Right now my chin and forehead are completely clear and cheeks are having light acne marks which are fading day by day .Now the people who used to comment on my acnes they are admiring my clear face :) :)"

Sreeparna (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am suffering from Cystic Acne & Acne Vulgaris . I used all Face washes but nothing worked. I spent a lot of money on these products but Did not get relief. Last year, I used Vibramycin tablets for 2 weeks. It worked wonder !!! My face was clear. But White heads acne came back. I don't know why.. But It is very irritating for me. I can't go out to enjoy. I can't go to park."

Sameer2309 April 19, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi I have suffered acne since I was 15. I am now late 20s. I would say that it is effective and one of the antibiotics that I can tolerate the most. Previous antibiotic use has always had intolerable side-effects for me. I guess everyone is different. Although I am currently suffering an outbreak I know my skin would be worse without it. I guess there is no cure from acne. I'd rather take the medication than not. Having a break from antibiotic use has meant that the outbreak is severe. Whilst on antibiotics I may have an outbreak but not as damaging."

Pop17 April 17, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this medication for adult cystic acne once before, about 3 years ago, for like 3 months I think and it did work for me...... but only for 6 months and then after that 6 months, it came back with a vengeance! It came back very slowly, but it came back all the same. I didn't want to go back on the mediation because I know it's not good to take it for long periods of time, but 4 months ago, I said I can't take the pain anymore, I'm going to the doc again" because no matter what acne washes I used, no matter what topical acne systems I tried, no matter what diet changes I made, NOTHING worked. At all. I'm currently back on doxy but have added topical clindamycin solution. Has sped up healing! Doxy does work."

Sufferer1985 April 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This product does not work...instead I got pimples all over my chest, had terrible vivid nightmares , body ache and dry skin and lips. Was taking it for 2 months. Not even the slighest improvement."

Hanciu April 12, 2017