User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 433 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"I got prescribed doxycycline hyclate 100mg, one pill everyday for 30 days for Cystic acne. I presented with acne on my chest and back, and a large cyst on my cheek. The cyst wasn't examined at all, and the derm just prescribed the doxy. I had tried every Pinterest suggestion for two weeks prior to me seeing the dermatologist, after taking doxy for 20 days I have yet to see ANY improvement. It is exactly the same as day one. It doesn't really hurt, but I have a follow up in December and I intend on trying a new method to rid myself of this curse. Don't take the doxy. It simply doesn't work."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2016

"After taking it for a month, it significantly cleared my skin with moderate but not severe acne, as well just the little bumps. For me I have to take the medication with food or else I get super nauseous. I still get some acne, but it has significantly decreased since I started taking it."

Anonymous November 24, 2016

"I've been on doxycycline for about 10 years at 100 mg, twice a day. It works great at clearing up my cystic acne that I get on my chin. About six months ago I ended up with ulcers in my stomach and my Digestive Health Specialists thought it was the doxycycline causing it. Stop taking it for 4 weeks & my acne was daily on my chin again. It's a great medicine, but hard on the stomach."

Spazot (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2016

"I have been on this medication for acne for one month. still see no improvement. I am 29 year old female. never had acne in my life and a year ago started getting this cystic acne. dermatologist told me will have it for life. perioral dermatitis can be a lifelong battle"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

"I usually had mild acne, and a few leftover acne marks. During the summer, I broke out more than usual and it got to a point were I had 3 very huge cystic pimples. A doctor recommended doxycycline. I took it for 3 months. At first, it was breaking me out (as everyone said it should), and really, it kept breaking me out until the month mark (a little after that), and by then I had SO MANY leftover acne marks. I keep thinking that I could've waited for the 3 terrible cystic pimples to fade and I would've avoided getting all the leftover marks. I'm off doxycycline for about a week now. Its going well, I'm not breaking out more than I was on the medication, just tiny zits here and there that fade quickly. Assess your risk/benefit ratio before."

helen2016 November 5, 2016

"I took doxycycline for one month exactly and it honestly did my face wonders! My doctor had it combined with 3%/5% benzamycin top gel, but I managed to finish the gel in 2 weeks or less because my break outs were bad and that would make them go away by the next day. Now the doxycycline has helped A LOT with the break outs not appearing on my face. I'm 20 years old and got the pills prescribed to be taken once a day every day for a month and now I haven't broken out since I started. I'm a girl and whenever I got my period, I would break out pretty badly, but this medication has helped A LOT with that. I will ask for a refill on both medications. Highly recommend to give them both a try."

Moonstar27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2016

"I had been having bad breakouts for about a year but after 2 months on doxycycline my skin was completely clear! i took it for 6 months. although the side effects were not good. i had been having bad headaches for about 5 moths (same timeframe as i had been taking doxycycline for) and finally went to the doctor to find out if doxycycline had affected the fluid in my brain causing swelling of the optic nerve. I was told this was a very very rare side effect of the doxycycline. did wonders for my skin tho!"

katzzz November 5, 2016

"I've been dealing with severe to moderate acne for almost 13 years now (I'm currently 23 yrs old). I've been waiting for puberty to chill out and stop breaking me out, but it hasn't so I decided to see a derm about my options. she prescribed me doxy and it worked FABULOUSLY!! I took the first pill that night, went to bed and when I woke up ALL of my acne was gone!!13 years of horrible acne and over night it was gone! for 3 days I took it 2x a day like I was told, but I decided since it was working so well i only wanted to take it once a day considering doxy is a strong antibiotic and I didnt want my body to get such a strong dose for 2 weeks. As soon as I finsihed the acne came back, with a vengence. I'm going to look into accutane"

wappppppp (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2016

"I'm 60yrs old and I had a real bad break out in my face and it worked great for me.Doxycycline Monohydrate #Clear Face"

Curtjay (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

"I've been on it for about 6 weeks and it has been making my acne much worse. I initially went on it for cystic acne that was on my face in a select few spots, but now I am having more cystic acne and spots all over my face. There is redness underneath my skin where there was never a problem and there is a lot of scarring. I am having the worst breakout of my life and am worried I will look hideous or have a full face of make up on my 21st birthday in a couple of weeks. I keep seeing people around my college with beautiful skin and it makes me feel even worse about myself. I actually just emailed my doctor to see if I can stop taking it because it is killing my self confidence and is making my issue much much worse."

SammySamSamSamSam October 18, 2016

"I was on doxycycline for about 6 months. 100 mg twice a day. In combo w/ sprinonlactone 50mg and tretinoin gel at night. Worked like a charm for my cystic acne UNTIL I HAD AN ALLERGIC REACTION even after being on it for 6 months !!!! I was shocked but it can happen. Anyways, I wanted to share my experience most importantly because the allergies caused me to break out into Milia (bumps that actually look like little pimples or gives) all over my body, worst on my face. I researched and researched and found nothing so I'm putting this review on here incase someone else experiences this and maybe it will help you. But they gave me bactrim and a steroid to clear up the milia from the allergic reaction and it went away within a week."

M_cat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2016

"I had severe acne on my face, chest and back. My dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline and at first the medicine seemed hopeless, but with time (approximately 8 weeks) I started to see results on my face. Within 3 months my face was completely clear. Unfortunately, my face was clear for only 2 months and I began to have cystic acne again. I'm switching to Bactrim because doxycycline has stopped working and the glory was short lived."

12User12 October 15, 2016

"I am a 23 year old female and have suffered from mild/moderate acne since the age of 12 my main problem area is my chin. I have tried every path to clear this including diet/skin care(several different brands)/water/exercise to clear my skin but the only thing that ever works and I find myself going back to is Doxycycline. I have taken it on and off for over 10 years. I wish i could find a more natural path to clear my skin but Doxy is so effective for me and it works within days. I have zero side effects."

Anna12321 October 12, 2016

"I'm a 16 year old female and have had pretty bad acne since I was about 12, last year I went on doxycycline and a gel (adapalene & benzoyl peroxide) last year I took it for about 4 months and my skin looked incredible within the first month, I was used to having terrible pimples and redness all across my cheeks and chin and it all went away. I stopped taking it beginning of this year and my acne returned and was close to the same severity as before I started, last month I went back on doxycycline and just finished my first 25 day capsules (I take one a day in the morning with breakfast and a probiotic at night with dinner) I haven't seen much improvement at all but I feel like it definitely gets worse before it gets better"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 10, 2016

"Believe it or not, I've been on Doxycycline for just about 1.5 years now. I really didnt have any serious acne as a teen but once I turned 25 for some reason it blew up! I tried everything but everything only seemed to make it angry lol so on doxycycline I went. It is like a miracle for me as far as effectiveness it clears my skin 100%. So why didn't I give a 10 on the review? Because I've attempted to stop taking it a few times and it only takes about 2-3 days for my acne to return with a vengeance! My body breaks out like crazy so bad if I don't take it. It definitely makes you pay if you stop taking it lol"

Janedoesacne October 9, 2016

"Took for a couple weeks and felt awful. Belly hurt, no appetite, achy and tired. Really thought something was wrong with me and decided to quit taking. Took 5 days to start feeling like myself again. Think I will just deal with rosacea outbreaks."

Keeling September 24, 2016

"I started taking the doxcy (100 mg) once a day for my acne. I am 29 years old female that had never had acne in my teens until now at this age. Okay so I began with this pill and for me it got worse before it got better. I took this for a month and a week and I did see improvement till like my 4th week of using it. So then my derm prescribed the same doxcy (100 mg) but now twice a day which is much better along with tretinoin cream 0.05% every night. This has helped me so much. One big tip that I can give you guys is not to stress about the acne I know it's hard but stressing will only make it worse. Just think that one day it will go away. Now it's been 25 days with the new prescribed doxcy and finally no more acne."

Mrsmeza (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

"I've been on doxy for sometime now Atleast 3 months+, I had a horrible experience with the drug at the start, I saw no improvements for about a month then my skin just increasingly got worse, it was extremely painful and it was mostly all down the sides of my face from ear to lips. It played a lot with my mental state because I wasn't sure if it was the breakout before it got better or my skin was just going crazy and this was just my life now. It took over a month for the breakouts to calm down and now I've been left with scarring that looks terrible. I've got quite pale skin so it is very noticeable. So at this point even though my skin has had slight improvements I don't think this was the right path for me."

Al_Pal123 September 8, 2016

"So 4 years ago, having suffered through my teenage years and the start of my 20s with acne (usual places like face, chest and back) and after several doctors giving me cream my face, chest and back (not the easiest to apply cream on your back) i eventually go and see a GP who also specialises in skin. He explained as by now if acne was going to go away, it would have done (by 22/23yo) so puts me on doxycycline. Worked wonders, still suffered spots occasionally but my back when it flairs up is like i have lots of little volcanoes on my back and they are extemely itchy and so the occasional spot wasnt bothering me. 4 years on and 26, spots are back with a vengence but back to skin doc and back on doxy for 3 months. Eat before taking!!"

Kaazz September 6, 2016

"This helped my acne to a good amount, while I was on it. I took this religiously for 6 months. I did not see any improvements until around the third month, and up until this point I just kept asking why I'm the only one my age with acne, and why it won't go away. For the last three months of my prescription though, my acne was kept at bay. I still had 2-3 pimples on my face at all times, but it was better than the usual amount. I had scarring left over, but I think the biggest disappointment of this regimen was in is the fact that my acne came back with vengeance about a month after I stopped taking it. After 3 months of trying every drugstore/high end option, I'm going to go back to the dermatologist and try something new."

AlexaTaylor September 5, 2016

"Do not get the monohydrate!!! It will make your acne ten times worse and it will not get better for weeks you are much better getting the other kind."

Heheh September 3, 2016

"I have had severe acne ever since I was about 14; when my period started. I have tried proactiv, every topical treatment and over the counter wash almost I know. I also have changed my diet and went on the candida cleanse as well as tried minocycline. But nothing, absolutely nothing has helped as it should have until I went on doxycycline and I am 18 now! It is the best thing I have ever tried! Within a week, I noticed a huge improvement and it is week three now and all my cystic acne is gone and I am almost acne free expect a few hormonal pimples that I am about to go on birth control for. I am so thankful and I thank God everyday for letting me find it!! Thank you, Lord!"

FutureGaMeteorologistGirl17 (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2016

"I've been on doxycycline (100 mg daily for three months) twice, a year apart. The first time cleared my skin up beautifully. I had horrible cystic acne with new pimples popping up every day before I went to my dermatologist. I started clearing up within the first month. A year later, I started to break out again so I went back on it and my skin is back to being clear. I definitely recommend taking it with food, though. I got really bad heartburn for a week because I took this pill without eating."

MissxMegan August 28, 2016

"Used for stubborn chin and jawline acne. I'm a 23 y/o woman and 110lbs. I have been on a lower dose, 100mg once a day. I avoid dairy/calcium around the time I take this medication. My acne started to clear significantly at two months, by three months it was completely gone. I stopped taking antibiotics after three months and two months later my acne came back. Now I'm back on the same dose again. Hopefully with time I will see long term improvement."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

"I have been struggling with severe acne for the past two years. seems like nothing I did could help me so I tried to use ucerin which is a very rich body lotion on my face this caused me to get cystic acne which was horrible I stopped using the ucerin and that went away . I have to put benzol peroxide on my face 24 seven usually and I use xout and moisturizer every day twice a day. This was horrible I was depressed I hated my life and my face looked horrible overall. My doctor prescribed me doxycycline and as soon as I started using that I saw results today is the 14th day and my face is already almost perfectly clear. This drug is amazing and I 100% recommend it cause plain and simple it works. No initial breakout from this."

Tatethegreat August 27, 2016