User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, ...show all 25 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 430 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"I'm an African American female 20 yr old female & I've had acne since high school.Recently , this summer , I was prescribed the doxycycline 150mg to take once a day . Originally , the summer before I was prescribed another formula of doxycycline , to take twice daily . I took two pills at once by accident and about 45 minutes later , I threw up. Even though , I didn't take the correct dose , I could still tell this pill was not going to sit well in my stomach . The formula (150mg) I am taking now is much better. It was a struggle hanging in there for the first month because my body had to get used to it . But I did . I advice to eat with food or on a full stomach. Hang in there. I'm waiting on my second refill . Definetly see results ."

AnonymousGirl1108 August 22, 2016

"I have got severe acne all over my face apart from forehead this is my third week and I have seen no improvement it has made it worse to be honest my derm prescribed me 100 mg once daily for three months also my acne has become extremely painfull"

Nz4lyf (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

"I'm currently taking this for a bad skin infection and it's clearing my pimples as well.. I read some comments of people saying they're taking this for months and months with "no side effects". You may not see visible side effects but taking this even twice can make it resilient for something serious like staph or MRSA. Trust me, I have MRSA and I'm on my 3rd antibiotic and it's resilient to the antibiotics. These infections can kill you... acne is awful, I had it as a teen but there are natural ways to cure it without antibiotics."

Be careful (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2016

"I developed cystic acne, I'm guessing as a result of hormones, stress, and genetics. My doctor and I changed what we were using during the second visit, since we were doing some trial and error (figuring out what works). Since my skin is not sensitive, we went from a combination of doxycycline, tretinoin, and clyndimicine (idk how to spell it) to a combination of tretinoin of higher strength, erythromycin/BP gel, and minocycline. My skin has cleared up in a matter of 2 months with the occasional pimples and some acne scarring. I had to switch from doxy to mono because after my first round of doxy, my insurence would not cover any form of it for some reason, I which is why I gave it a 5."

Sabrina L (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

"I'm an eighteen year old female and I started taking these 100mg doxycycline monohydrate pills only four days ago because they worked great for my brothers. I've been taking them with tons of water and food. They seem to work so far but I've been waking up with terrible migraine-like headaches and confusion. I'm usually an early riser and a morning person but these make me feel really nauseated. I don't recommend them for anyone who gets migraines like I do."

18 years old (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

"I've had horrible cystic acne for about 2 years now. It left horrible scarring that still remains but after my first 3 months it went away completely. Not even the occasional pimple, I just believe it makes me gain weight and lose harder. Besides that, works really well with no side effects."

beachgothic (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2016

"Hi! I'm Krissy. About a month ago I had a terrible breakout with cystic acne all over my cheeks & chin. It got so bad that it hurt to go to sleep at night. About a week ago I went & seen the doctor & he prescribed me doxycycline 100 mg to take once a day & he also prescribed me benzaclin which is benzoyl peroxide & I've been on all this for about a week & I've noticed good improvement.Its drying up all my acne. There not completely gone but before this month is over they will be.. It just takes time & patience."

• Krissy • August 6, 2016

"I'm 15 years old and have had horrible acne on my face, body, and chest since 6th grade. It's been tearing down my self esteem to the point of not wanting to go outside, I even stopped swimming one summer. So about 2 weeks ago, I went to my dermatologist and he prescribed me 150mg of Acticlate (doxycycline) and I've been taking it every night along with using SulfaCleanse and Atralin. So far, I've seen no improvement in my acne whatsoever. My chest acne has gotten worse, and my face and back have stayed the same. I see my dermatologist next week and if no improvement is seen before then, I'm hoping there's another option."

Fauna S. August 3, 2016

"Over the summer before I enter college, I had severe acnes all over my face, it came to the point where I don't want to go outside because my acnes ate all my self confidence. My derma gave me different creams but none of them works. So at last, my derma made me try doxycycline and after a week my face had cleared up. I took it for 3 months, even if I ate lots of chocolates, and even if I have slept late, there will be no appearance of pimples while I'm taking the pill. But after the 3 months, I stopped and my pimples are starting to appear again but not as worse as before. So I am taking it again. I would definitely recommend it but you have to continuously use it or else your pimple will come back. But maybe It will not be the same for yo"

Anonymous August 1, 2016

"I have acne all over my face for four years. I'M turning 20.I have oily and too much bumps on my chin and I really hate it! It minimize my confidence. I almost tried everything otc for my condition. I tried cetaphil but it doesnt work. Now, my derma suggested me to take doxy 100mg twice a day. I also have a soap named Bactazil and I use benzoyl peroxide 5% .. so far so good. Its my 6th day. Yes, redness is still there. But my pimples become less. There are no pus on my chin and cheek. I'm looking forward for the next step which is accutane. anw, Hello there from philippines!."

Celerypeps July 30, 2016

Monodox (doxycycline): "My daughter had had horrible acne for years. Nothing has worked, tried everything except birth control pills. She had her wisdom teeth pulled and was prescribed this and within 3 days her face was clear. Totally amazing! Shocked to find such a simple solution that has not given her any side effects."

Mam8 July 23, 2016

"I've been using it for 3 weeks, whilst also using cetaphil, moisturising, exercising, drinking a lot of water. It hasn't helped that much at all, it seemed to work, but all the acne is still winning. After 4 weeks I'm ditching it if I see no significant improvements"

Jimmy R G July 22, 2016

"I took Doxycycline for severe cystic acne for six months. My skin cleared up beautifully, however once I stopped taking it, within a week, my skin broke out 10x worse than it was before I started taking Doxycycline. I ended up not only with the usual painful cystic acne, but also on top of that developed acne rosacea... So my face was lumpy, painful, and terribly red."

LouH83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

"I'm 15 and had pretty bad acne for about three years. My dermatologist percribed 150mg doxycycline haplate to take once in the AM, also paired with 0.1% adapalene gel 2 or 3 times a week and cetaphil gentle face clenser every night This has tremendously helped my acne!!!! Also i use PanOxyl face wash (recommend by dermatologist) and a moisturizer every morning, You can buy it at Walmart or Walgreens. As for the doxycycline I haven't had any side effects other than little stomach aches but that's it. (I've only been using this routine for 14 days So I don't know about what will happen but as for now it's pretty great :)"

* READ (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"I am 18 years old, and had severe acne on my cheeks and chin area since I was about 14. Acne was the hardest thing I have ever went through and was ruining my confidence. I went to the dermatologist and got prescribed .1% tretinoin cream and doxycycline 100mg twice a day. I was on doxy for 4 months and my acne stayed EXACTLY the same. I always read the review on this site for this product, and promised myself I would write one. I did not work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. I have been off doxy for about four weeks now and I have ZERO pimples. I do have a lot of redness and LOTS of acne scars, but use mederma and have had one laser treatment for scars and am planning on having 2 more. Stay positive... it gets better!!"

sav1234 July 16, 2016

"I'm 16 years old, my skin was really clear in the beginning of my freshman year, but my acne started at the end of freshman year. Obviously occasional breakouts but i started to pick at my face and it just got progressively worse. My acne isn't cystic or all over my face, my breakouts occur in certain areas such as my forehead/hairline. A few blackheads in my T zone and on my lower checks. The pimples i suffer most with are whiteheads and blackheads. I always popped whiteheads and blackheads and they have left scars on my face, I tried Retin-A and other medications but im now using Doxy and ive seen few results but I honestly hope to see greater results at the end of summer 2016 just in time for when i go back to school for my junior year."

Anonymous July 12, 2016

"I'm a 36 year old female who is managing face, chest and back acne with doxy and differin gel .3%. I take 200 mgs of doxy in the AM and at night I apply differin to my face, chest and back. I have been on this routine since 6/30/16. Since that time no new acne has sprouted and existing acne has significantly improved. Doxy and differin is an interim solution as my derm believes acne outbreak is hormonal. As interim solution, I recommend doxy and differin."

Adult Acne 1280 July 10, 2016

Doxy 100 (doxycycline): "Well i was 15 when i started getting acne n it kept on getting worse! After 4 Years to that my dermatologist suggested me Doxybact 100 that i cud take hardly for a week bc i got a severe form of allergic reaction so i had to stop takin it. But now after 4 years to even that i started takin it again n it did wonders! It just cleared my skin well!! I m v happy with the results bc no cream gel facewash had ever helped me this way! The only reason i hav rated this 7 is that it works only if i am takin it continuously! If i stop takin it my acne come back even within 20 days! Thats the worst part but otherwise its amazin!!"

Aimi July 10, 2016

"I've been using Clindamycin in the mornings and Atralin at night for nearly two months with very minimal results. I started taking Doxy about 3 days ago and my skin has dramatically improved. No more new breakouts, just healing acne. The only reason I give it 8/10 is because I haven't finished my 30 day cycle. Haven't experienced any nausea or vomitting, just minor stomach ache if I don't eat enough with the pill in the morning."

AmandaMaria July 6, 2016

"im using 20 g doxycycline it made my acne even worst i have huge pimples all over before it wasnt this bad but i heard it gets worst before it clears so ill wait"

quel19 July 4, 2016

"It has helped clear up my acne, but it also has given me annoying side effects. Whenever I take it it always makes my stomach make really loud and embarrassing sounds. It also gives me indigestion and nausea even if I take it with food. Yet another side effect is that it makes me dizzy and lightheaded. I've also noticed that my skin is becoming really itchy and even more sensitive than it normally is. I've been on it for less than a week and it's great that my skin looks kind of decent again, but I don't think I can put up with the side effects anymore, especially the itching, dizziness, and indigestion. Looks like I'll have to find something else to help with my moderate acne."

BBMM July 4, 2016

Doryx (doxycycline): "My dermatologist prescribed this to me for cystic acne. While it did clear up the acne I had horrible side effects. My hair was falling out more than usual, my gums were always swollen and puffy, and the worst of it was getting cdiff. Of course cdiff is a rare side effect and I ended up getting it, but I will never take this medication again."

Kb08526 June 26, 2016

"Ive been fighting with "acne" since my mod 20s im now 35. I was also a picker. I have anxiety so it became a way to relieve my anxiety its called dermatelomania (not sure of the spelling) anyway I regret not seeing a dermatologist yrs ago because If I dont have pimples I dont pick which means no scarring. I was afraid to try it at first because of some of the reviews saying it got worse before it got better.Not for me ive been on it for almost 3 weeks and I seen a differwnce in the first 2 days. Bow 3 weeks later my skin is bump free. I dont even know how to explain the relief I have and stress that has been lifted off my shoulders. Everyday was a battle for years and I think I tried every product out there through the yrs. Anyway goodluck"

Woman8181 June 25, 2016

"I have had bad acne since the age of 16, I am a healthy and fit female, and have tried multiple acne washes and creams, benzoyl peroxides, diet and lifestyle changes, and even the last extreme for acne: Accutane (or Isotretinoin). All have failed, and especially the Isotretinoin, it made my acne a lot worse and I could not handle how my lips were splitting and bleeding, and I broke out with blisters all over my back-very strange. I had tried doxycyclin a few years ago, but must not have taken it properly, but now, at the age of 20, I started taking it, and my skin (for the first time in many years) is clear and healthy and the acne scars are clearing. HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO TAKE RELIGIOUSLY"

Ilovedoxy June 23, 2016

"I had been using a prescribed topic gel (Bianca) for 5 months when I reached out to my doctor to pair it with a medicine after reading reviews that pairing oral and topic medications can work wonders on skin. I was given doxycycline, and can honestly say this combination gave me 85% clear skin, which I was more than happy with. However, doxycycline lowers the bacteria level in your body which causes less acne. But it also threw my pH balance off and I got frequent yeast infections that were unresponsive to treatments. So I had to ditch the doxycycline, still using Bianca religiously, and almost immediately, the infections cleared up. But my skin has gotten pretty bad again these past few months :'("

Anonymous June 23, 2016