User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 406 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"I started taking this drug when my acne got worse. Before that, I had only tried topical acne treatments (b.p, erythromycin) which worked well at first but later became ineffective. I had several cysts and pustules by the time I started this drug, it healed my cysts fairly fast but broke me out in pustules. After the two month mark (I took it for 3), my acne had decreased noticeably. I was really happy for about a month after I was done , until my acne came back much much worse. I'm not saying this drug is definitely the reason, but logically speaking, my acne was never this bad. It was very cystic, inflamed and painful. I was crying every day and not going out. Then my dermatologist started me on isotretin, which I'm still currently takin"

galden (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed me this medicine to help fight my acne. I have moderate to severe acne. I used this medicine for about two months combined with a light soap and topical benzoyl cream. I take the medicine at the same time once every day. I wash my face with the soap twice daily and use the cream at night. I can say that it worked well with me since I saw major differences. I started my acne regime on November and my face was cleared on February the next year ( a few months). I thought It was going well but I stopped my medication and my regime since my face was cleared but the acne went back although it wasn't as severe as it was before."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from Acne since I was around 9 years old (I am now nearly 23). I have started my 3rd month on Doxcycline 100mg once every morning. At the beginning of every month my face broke out with lots of whiteheads, this month has been the worse, slowly healing now but has left me with scaring. Hoping this will get better in the 3rd month as thats where people see most results. Whoever is on 50mg once a day for acne, you need to go back to your doctor/dermatoligst and up the dose, apparently 50mg won't do nothing for acne its a too lower dose. This is what my doctor told me. I have had no side effects as if yet."

HKM3 August 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on doxycycline 100mg 2 a day for just over 1 month now, my acne (which was moderate cystic acne) cleared slightly within the first two weeks. Although after about 3 weeks of being on the antibiotic, my skin broke out into the worst state it had ever been in. I had many huge pimples all over my cheeks, which took a few weeks to fade away. although I feel the antibiotic must bring out everything under your skin first, before it becomes effective, as a few days ago my skin was almost clear. I am starting to break out again slightly, but nowhere near as bad as the previous breakout. if you are starting doxycycline, you must give it time to see good results and be consistent for it to work, as I have seen great results so far."

.anonymous. July 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this drug to help with the bumps under my skin. I would like to say it's acne but reality is the Dr. and I really had no idea. He put me on Doxy to help fight the infection. Firstly, the instructions on these meds are very unclear... it says to not take it with milk and on an empty stomach... so I did that and puked on the bus which was VERY uncomfortable and gross. So the next day I took it with food, and guess what? 15 minutes later I was puking in the bathroom at work. Next day I took it with toast and I had a painful stomach ache all day. I just can't seem to win on these meds. I went 5 days with puking every morning at work. Acne wise, my face has cleared up.. but I'm unsure if it's because of the meds or the cream."

Natsmasha (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been prescribed to take this medicine twice a day for 15 days and have really bad cystic acne. I'm about a week in and I think I'm in the purging period. All of the deep cysts in my face are becoming nodules!! I hope this goes away fast. I suggest not using many other products with this as it makes your skin super sensitive and I've been having a really red face if I use anything too harsh."

crybbboy July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this for around a week and a half now. I'm supposed to take this for 2 months. Haven't really seen any change other than my cheeks are clearing up a little but my forehead is getting worse :("

aubs (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It started to clear up my acne after a few months of taking it, but the side effects were awful. I felt nauseous instantly afterwards and then was also sometimes sick, I couldn't sit or lie down for at least an hour afterwards and if I did I was guaranteed to be sick. I also had to make sure that I ate beforehand and didn't take the medication on an empty stomach because that would also cause sickness. The nausea was the worst part because I had to sit for half an hour feeling sick before I actually was which made it even worse. I eventually stopped taking it after about a year because my acne had completely cleared up, but then 6 months later it came back...only a temporary fix for me and the effects of it almost make it pointless"

tchar124 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Most effective drug I've taken for acne. DON'T TAKE WITHOUT A MEAL!!! ( but really thought everyone said to avoid upset stomach but it rips into the side of your stomach lining if you do this and you can get ulcers)Get really bad hormonal breakouts around the chin this cleared up immediately. Was able to get off and still have clean skin for Year after."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on doxycycline currently I've been on it for 2 months now I was prescribed for 5 months, really hasn't been working... the moment I feel like my skin is clearing it takes a turn for the worst, it's crazy... if it was my choice I'd jump on accutaine take it once and not have to worry about this acne any more"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This cleared up my skin wonderfully! I occasionally get a pimple every now but they are small and go away fast. It takes a few months to begin working however."

Ashleyvb (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking doxycycline for about a year know and it is amazing!!!!! I has terrible acne during my 7th grade year and had very low self-esteem. So I made my parents take me to a doctor and he prescribe me doxycycline. He told me it would get worse before it got better! After a month of taking it I could notice the difference and today I only get an acne spot every 3 months to 4 it's amazing and I totally RECOMMEND it!!! BUT there are some side effects, do not take it with MILK trust me I was either on the bathroom floor crying or throwing up!! Also take it with a big meal like dinner. And if you want something with MILK for dinner, wait a few hours after drinking the MILK and take it with some crackers. Hopefully this helped!"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this medication for a month at 100mg, twice a day. I have had to limit my sun exposure and wear 100 SPF sunscreen as I have been getting horrendous sunburns since I have started taking doxy. My hands were so burned that they swelled up and blistered, making it very painful to even wash my hands. Every time I go outside, regardless of how much sunscreen I am wearing, I am guaranteed to get a sunburn. I was prescribed doxy to help with my acne but it is not worth it to me and I will no longer be taking it."

keff (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Acticlate (doxycycline): "I've been on for one week now, 75mg a day/3months. I have for the most part always had clear skin all of my life w/ an occasional pimple. I'm 27 and just this year I've been breaking out, cystic acne out of no where. I finally went to the derm after everything else failed. Like I said, it's been a week and I can tell you this medicine is tricky. I have some side effects, abnominal pain, severe headaches, couple others, but I see a such a difference! The stuff stuck in my skin is coming out, it's not drying my skin like trentinoin did. I've never been on medicine like this so take it at night before bed to avoid feeling some of the symptoms. Avoid the sun+ any drinking when on this, it will make you vomit!"

Candy sweets (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"The dermatologist prescribed me this and told me it would clear up in about two months and it hasn't cleared up at all after the two months. My face looks the exact same it did two months ago. Maybe I'm just not being patient enough but absolutely no progress has been made."

idk103820588 June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed this alongside clindamycin and benzoyl phosphate gel to treat mild acne on my face. It was a dosage of 100mg for 30days. Around two weeks in my acne had improved significantly but in came in another problem , Hyperpigmentation. My face is currently 3 shades darker than the rest of my body. I went back to my dermatologist and she prescribed another antibiotic and told me to discontinue the doxycycline. The discoloration has yet to improve but its only been three days since I stopped the doxycycline. Hoping and praying the hyperpigmentation will eventually fade. I wouldn't recommend doxycycline since I believe there is a better more permanent solution for the treatment of acne"

Thedezkaka June 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking this antibiotic for almost 2 months now and it worked so well for my acne. After one week of using it, my acne was gone completely. Always take it after a meal and please take probiotics while you're taking it otherwise your digestive system will get upset (this goes for any type of antibiotics ever)."

Victo_bc June 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Dermatologist prescribed me 150mg 1 time per day to treat cystic acne. Worked great and cleared up my face quickly. I have been fortunate to not have any side effects, as I tend to get the rare but serious side effects from other medications I have taken in the past. I also had a sinus infection, but it did nothing for that at all."

TishaR89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was prescribed this while awaiting accutane (as a female I'm required to wait an entire month before being allowed to start it). I had severe acne including over ten cysts on my face at a time...took effect after the first day my skin began improving. I have lots of scarring but no new cysts and the ones I had have cleared up or are in the process and I'm only a week and a half in. I'm on two a day at 100mg each. Highly recommended. Worked pretty quickly for me!"

CoolDucky June 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I and about one week in (100mg twice a day) and I think I am in the purging period. All of the closed comedons (aka texture) on my forehead has started to come out as white heads, and the pre-existing white heads seem to be getting worse. I really hope this will be over soon, but I am hopeful it will work! I'm sure it is just the course that the drug is taking on my body. On the bright side though, all of the acne on my chest and back is gone since taking it! For context I am also using a Retin A cream and Clindamycin Phosphate gel."

Alex C May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doxycycline for acne works wonders! I will say if your acne has gotten really bad and you just started on doxycycline you will need to be patient with this drug and give it time to work its magic. I highly recommend taking it with food or else you will throw up as I did. Taking it on a normal schedule I have seen does improve the use of the drug for example taking it everyday in the morning or night around the same time is good! Remember everybody's body responds differently to medication. But, if I were to just start looking into acne medicine I would start on this. Not too strong as Accutane, but not too weak either. I had moderate to severe cystic acne twice and it has been able to clear both incidents. Never had bad side effects on this"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"One month since taking 100mg a day, and my skin is now flawless. I noticed a difference after a few days. No side effects. Wish I had sought help sooner, after suffering moderate acne for years. Hope it doesn't come back after finishing the three month course."

KA73 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have moderate to almost severe acnez I have been on doxycycline for almost 4 months now and my skin have improve drastically. At the first part of taking the medication, I started purging real bad that I dread leaving the house everytime. Have some patience with this medication because it only took effect for me on the 3rd month. I'm only left with all the acne scarring now, very occasional pimple popping out and breaking out when it's about to be the time of my month! This is my third time trying out this antibiotic as the first two times I never had determination to continue the entire phase. Make sure your derm is lowering your dosage along the journey because I heard it helps a lot from avoiding horrible break out after stopping med."

S.C May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was recently hospitalized due to cysts on my ovaries that caused me severe pain. There was a bacterial infection going on as well so I was prescribed doxycycline-hyclate 100mg. Even though it was for my ovarian cysts I noticed after taking doxy for 3 days straight (2 capsules a day) my acne had cleared up! I haven't seen my face this clear since 2008. The downside was that it caused diarrhea and bad abdominal cramps. I miss my face being this clear so I'm trying to stick out the pain "

TVan88 (taken for less than 1 month) May 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Cleared up my acne and is keeping it away. I've used it for about 2 months now and almsot all my acne is gone. Using this along with adapalene to get rid of acne scars."

wavvyem (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2017