User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, ...show all 25 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 430 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

Monodox (doxycycline): "My daughter had had horrible acne for years. Nothing has worked, tried everything except birth control pills. She had her wisdom teeth pulled and was prescribed this and within 3 days her face was clear. Totally amazing! Shocked to find such a simple solution that has not given her any side effects."

Mam8 July 23, 2016

"I've been using it for 3 weeks, whilst also using cetaphil, moisturising, exercising, drinking a lot of water. It hasn't helped that much at all, it seemed to work, but all the acne is still winning. After 4 weeks I'm ditching it if I see no significant improvements"

Jimmy R G July 22, 2016

"I took Doxycycline for severe cystic acne for six months. My skin cleared up beautifully, however once I stopped taking it, within a week, my skin broke out 10x worse than it was before I started taking Doxycycline. I ended up not only with the usual painful cystic acne, but also on top of that developed acne rosacea... So my face was lumpy, painful, and terribly red."

LouH83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

"I'm 15 and had pretty bad acne for about three years. My dermatologist percribed 150mg doxycycline haplate to take once in the AM, also paired with 0.1% adapalene gel 2 or 3 times a week and cetaphil gentle face clenser every night This has tremendously helped my acne!!!! Also i use PanOxyl face wash (recommend by dermatologist) and a moisturizer every morning, You can buy it at Walmart or Walgreens. As for the doxycycline I haven't had any side effects other than little stomach aches but that's it. (I've only been using this routine for 14 days So I don't know about what will happen but as for now it's pretty great :)"

* READ (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"I am 18 years old, and had severe acne on my cheeks and chin area since I was about 14. Acne was the hardest thing I have ever went through and was ruining my confidence. I went to the dermatologist and got prescribed .1% tretinoin cream and doxycycline 100mg twice a day. I was on doxy for 4 months and my acne stayed EXACTLY the same. I always read the review on this site for this product, and promised myself I would write one. I did not work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. I have been off doxy for about four weeks now and I have ZERO pimples. I do have a lot of redness and LOTS of acne scars, but use mederma and have had one laser treatment for scars and am planning on having 2 more. Stay positive... it gets better!!"

sav1234 July 16, 2016

"I'm 16 years old, my skin was really clear in the beginning of my freshman year, but my acne started at the end of freshman year. Obviously occasional breakouts but i started to pick at my face and it just got progressively worse. My acne isn't cystic or all over my face, my breakouts occur in certain areas such as my forehead/hairline. A few blackheads in my T zone and on my lower checks. The pimples i suffer most with are whiteheads and blackheads. I always popped whiteheads and blackheads and they have left scars on my face, I tried Retin-A and other medications but im now using Doxy and ive seen few results but I honestly hope to see greater results at the end of summer 2016 just in time for when i go back to school for my junior year."

Anonymous July 12, 2016

"I'm a 36 year old female who is managing face, chest and back acne with doxy and differin gel .3%. I take 200 mgs of doxy in the AM and at night I apply differin to my face, chest and back. I have been on this routine since 6/30/16. Since that time no new acne has sprouted and existing acne has significantly improved. Doxy and differin is an interim solution as my derm believes acne outbreak is hormonal. As interim solution, I recommend doxy and differin."

Adult Acne 1280 July 10, 2016

Doxy 100 (doxycycline): "Well i was 15 when i started getting acne n it kept on getting worse! After 4 Years to that my dermatologist suggested me Doxybact 100 that i cud take hardly for a week bc i got a severe form of allergic reaction so i had to stop takin it. But now after 4 years to even that i started takin it again n it did wonders! It just cleared my skin well!! I m v happy with the results bc no cream gel facewash had ever helped me this way! The only reason i hav rated this 7 is that it works only if i am takin it continuously! If i stop takin it my acne come back even within 20 days! Thats the worst part but otherwise its amazin!!"

Aimi July 10, 2016

"I've been using Clindamycin in the mornings and Atralin at night for nearly two months with very minimal results. I started taking Doxy about 3 days ago and my skin has dramatically improved. No more new breakouts, just healing acne. The only reason I give it 8/10 is because I haven't finished my 30 day cycle. Haven't experienced any nausea or vomitting, just minor stomach ache if I don't eat enough with the pill in the morning."

AmandaMaria July 6, 2016

"im using 20 g doxycycline it made my acne even worst i have huge pimples all over before it wasnt this bad but i heard it gets worst before it clears so ill wait"

quel19 July 4, 2016

"It has helped clear up my acne, but it also has given me annoying side effects. Whenever I take it it always makes my stomach make really loud and embarrassing sounds. It also gives me indigestion and nausea even if I take it with food. Yet another side effect is that it makes me dizzy and lightheaded. I've also noticed that my skin is becoming really itchy and even more sensitive than it normally is. I've been on it for less than a week and it's great that my skin looks kind of decent again, but I don't think I can put up with the side effects anymore, especially the itching, dizziness, and indigestion. Looks like I'll have to find something else to help with my moderate acne."

BBMM July 4, 2016

Doryx (doxycycline): "My dermatologist prescribed this to me for cystic acne. While it did clear up the acne I had horrible side effects. My hair was falling out more than usual, my gums were always swollen and puffy, and the worst of it was getting cdiff. Of course cdiff is a rare side effect and I ended up getting it, but I will never take this medication again."

Kb08526 June 26, 2016

"Ive been fighting with "acne" since my mod 20s im now 35. I was also a picker. I have anxiety so it became a way to relieve my anxiety its called dermatelomania (not sure of the spelling) anyway I regret not seeing a dermatologist yrs ago because If I dont have pimples I dont pick which means no scarring. I was afraid to try it at first because of some of the reviews saying it got worse before it got better.Not for me ive been on it for almost 3 weeks and I seen a differwnce in the first 2 days. Bow 3 weeks later my skin is bump free. I dont even know how to explain the relief I have and stress that has been lifted off my shoulders. Everyday was a battle for years and I think I tried every product out there through the yrs. Anyway goodluck"

Woman8181 June 25, 2016

"I have had bad acne since the age of 16, I am a healthy and fit female, and have tried multiple acne washes and creams, benzoyl peroxides, diet and lifestyle changes, and even the last extreme for acne: Accutane (or Isotretinoin). All have failed, and especially the Isotretinoin, it made my acne a lot worse and I could not handle how my lips were splitting and bleeding, and I broke out with blisters all over my back-very strange. I had tried doxycyclin a few years ago, but must not have taken it properly, but now, at the age of 20, I started taking it, and my skin (for the first time in many years) is clear and healthy and the acne scars are clearing. HIGHLY RECOMMEND TO TAKE RELIGIOUSLY"

Ilovedoxy June 23, 2016

"I had been using a prescribed topic gel (Bianca) for 5 months when I reached out to my doctor to pair it with a medicine after reading reviews that pairing oral and topic medications can work wonders on skin. I was given doxycycline, and can honestly say this combination gave me 85% clear skin, which I was more than happy with. However, doxycycline lowers the bacteria level in your body which causes less acne. But it also threw my pH balance off and I got frequent yeast infections that were unresponsive to treatments. So I had to ditch the doxycycline, still using Bianca religiously, and almost immediately, the infections cleared up. But my skin has gotten pretty bad again these past few months :'("

Anonymous June 23, 2016

"My first attempt had rashes all over, that's 1 yr ago. This time it works wonders on my giant acne on my back and also helped in my eczema too! Anyone can advise if doxy helps for eczema too?"

KyleFoo June 16, 2016

"I've been on doxy for almost 4 weeks now and it has made my acne horrible. I have huge pimples covering my cheeks and chin. I know it's supposed to get worse before it gets better but this is almost not worth it. How long does it take before it gets better? I'm losing patience."

Ullis (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2016

"I would just like to say thank you to Doxy for saving my life. I have extreme depression and anxiety, and that was only made worse by my acne which covered almost all of my face and was spreading fast. I tried every over-the-counter medication, every face wash and even attempted laser therapy. I almost took Accutane, but heard the terrible stories online about how bad the side effects were and more. Even my doctor tried to convince me to take Accutane, but I'm here to say if you have horrible red blotchy acne that is very congested, please try Doxycycline. It took 3-4 months, and when I look in the mirror now I actually kind of want to cry because of how much it helped me. Doxy + Spectro Blemish Cleanser & Moisturizer saved my life."

herooftime May 30, 2016

"I have had cystic acne since I was 18. It became horrible when I turned 22. I started taking doxcy last may after my acne kept coming back worse than before. I was on tetracycline when I was 18 & it went away. But this time around the acne is on a vengence horribly scarring me. If I miss one dose of this medicine I will get a pimple. I am resistant to basically everything under this doxy. I am on 500mg twice a day. It works in due time but recently I will get sick from taking it and vomit. It doesnt matter at the moment if I eat or not it with it. Its sporadic. Its a love hate with this medicine. But if you want clear skin its worth it!"

Jaimee Surg May 29, 2016

"I been taking this med for 3weeks and i dont see much results I was hoping to see "better" results as soon as i started taking it but no :/ </3 i'm getting dissapointed I'm only 23yrs old and i have bad acne as much as I pretend I dont care i do so i really hope it works at some point and have am Okay face :("

Xoxoko May 20, 2016

"I've been suffering from acne ever since I hit 12; which has been 10 years from since. I've tried so many things from topical creams to all sorts of drugstore treatments like anti-acne cleansers, gels, essential oils or exfoliating treatments which none has ever worked out for me. I've also changed my pillow cases more frequently and tried to drink green juices but they did very little. I also suffered from "textures" throughout my face and my body (chest and back). I tried to exfoliate these bumps almost on a daily basis, but it didn't work out well. Anyways I've taken these meds for about 4 weeks now and I've seen huge improvements and I'm clearing up and no more new acne at all. (Wanted to give more info but word limit)"

Brian Neo (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

Doryx (doxycycline): "I got prescribed Doryx, along with two topicals, Aczone in the morning and Ziana at night, when I was having moderate acne. I never have had extremely bad acne but I started to get multiple extremely painful pimples so I decided to get some treatment. The Doryx along with the two topicals work great, still get a few pimples here and there but much better than before. HOWEVER, with the coverage on my insurance this pill costs me $75 for a bottle of 30, 200mg tablets. It was $25 when I first started taking it about a year and a half ago and has just gone up in price ever since. Works great but is extremely expensive in my opinion."

Sxanb (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 16, 2016

"Hi iv been taking this medication for 2 months now my first month was twice a day 100mg and this month iam taking once a day and it was really helped my skin clear up, also i read a few comments and alot of you girls get sick from it , and i did as well but take it with food!!!! Never on an empty stomatch that will make you feel sick and vomit!! Try taking with with food and see if it gets better!!! I hope this helps and let me know !! Thanks"

Marina1010 May 14, 2016

"READ WHOLE THING- I had mild acne before going on doxy, which I took for about 3 months. I wasn't breaking out quite as much at that point, but I still got occasional blemishes. I'm not sure if the meds caused this improvement but it wasn't that significant of a difference. I wasn't breaking out as much but for some reason every single zit that popped up would leave a dark red mark (no scar tissue or indentation, just coloration) and these marks did NOT fade for months. My cheeks looked as If I had tons of acne even though I would only have one active breakout at a time. I had never heard of doxycycline causing something like this, but I decided to stop the meds and within a few weeks the discoloration drastically improved."

Bradne11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2016

"I've been in doxy for a about 3 weeks straight now. My skin isint getting any worse, but it's not getting any better either. It also makes me so nauseas and I throw up sometimes. It doesn't seem worth it to me right now for the medication to be doing nothing except making me sick."

Cupcakejbvyubb May 11, 2016