User Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

Also known as: Vibramycin, Monodox, Oracea, Adoxa, Doxy 100, Doryx, Targadox, Morgidox, Doxy-Caps, Avidoxy, Doxy 200, Acticlate, Oraxyl, Doxy-D, Alodox, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Adoxa CK, LymePak, Uracil Mondoxyne NL Okebo Doryx MPC …show all brand names

Doxycycline has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 686 ratings for the treatment of Acne. 54% of those users who reviewed Doxycycline reported a positive effect, while 21% reported a negative effect.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

6.8/10 Average Rating

Compare all 291 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

21% 141
6% 39
9% 62

Reviews for Doxycycline

EeJie · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 3, 2021

“Doxycycline is useful to treat my acne for a course of about 3 months. But, after stopping the course of drugs, the acne had got bad again.”

Lacy · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 25, 2021

“I didn't like taking doxycycline. I was prescribed for about a year before I gave up. Acne got monumentally worse and my hormones were imbalanced, even with my IUD. I would get I would have only one beverage and vomit uncontrollably. 0/10 do not say yes to this prescription.”

Susan · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2021

“Works great for regular acne, but only kept my cysts under control for as long as I was taking the medication. Doctor says that I will have to have steroids injected into the cysts to get rid of them or I can have them surgically removed. All 100 of them?”

Jayda88 · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2021

“I started taking doxycycline after I got bad acne on my neck and back after getting B12 injections. I was taking doxycycline for 3 months. My skin definitely purged and got worse while on it, but you need to stick with it and it gets better. I have been off it for 2 months and my acne hasn’t come back (here’s hoping it doesn’t come back as bad as it was)! I had no side effects while taking it.”

Tom · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 30, 2021

“Used Apo Doxy for acne for 1 month. Side effects included vision problems, nausea and I lost about 6kg during this time. I also felt very depressed during treatment and experienced bad fatigue. Pimples went away but came back immediately after treatment stopped. Whilst most side effects went away after a few weeks I still have a bad appetite and nausea which I didn’t have before taking this drug.”

Mango · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 8, 2020

“Used doxycycline for one month for acne. It only worsened my acne condition. Had to suspend the medication.”

M. R · Taken for less than 1 month December 5, 2020

Adoxa (doxycycline): “I am very much satisfied with this medicine Adoxa is best for clear up my acne Dr prescribed me for a month for mild acne issue but if acne is cystic it may take few months to clear all infections.. But it's really works I must say I also use AKMAS GEL at night on acne it's also good and dry up the acne in one night...”

wtfisupyall · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 10, 2020

“GUYS LET ME PUT YOU ON TO SOMETHING!!!! so this is my second round on doxycycline (first round lasted 3-4 months and completely cleared my acne NO PURGING) but it came back like 5 months after. I started doxy again now i'm on my 10th week, i purged a ton, in fact im still purging a bit but i do see it finally getting better! this purge left me with hyperpigmentation scars all over my face! I just did a glycolic chemical peel 70% AND OH MY GOD. I CAN ALREADY SEE THE DIMINISHING SCARS ITS CRAZY. Please make sure you aren't using topicals before you do this. THANK ME LATER”

Shirlgirl43 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 13, 2020

“I've been on Doxycycline monohydrate 50mg for about 8 months now for rosacea. The past 3 months I've been experiencing horrible dizziness accompanied with a bit of blurry vision. After a trip to the ER and MRI to find out why I'm feeling like this, I stopped taking this to see if its causing my issues. Sure enough it was. After being off if for 3 days now, I'm starting to feel much better. It did help with my acne, but I couldn't handle the side effects”

Griff October 2, 2020

“I have been taking doxycycline for about a month and a half now and finally see improvement in my acne. I have been taking pictures every week and the first month was horrific. My acne got way worse and I started to get a little depressed. I still have acne and white heads but I can see a difference in my skin, although I have acne scares all over my cheeks. I will update next month.”

Sara · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 23, 2020

“Been on this medication doxycycline for almost 4 months. Side effects were pretty brutal at the beginning (nausea, vomiting, light sensitivity) but now my body has adjusted to the medication. I have seen major improvement in my skin. I'm not getting any breakouts or big pimples like I use to get before I started this medication. I'm taking this medication along with clindamycin and benzoyl peroxide, this combination has been great. Right now I only have a few bumps on my forehead. I recommend eating before taking this medication tho :P”

Brizzard · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 22, 2020

“My dermatologist prescribed me 3 months of doxy to treat acne on my back, in conjunction with a benzoyl peroxide wash every other day... I have been on it for 3 weeks at this point. I have been fine until recently, I have vaginal dryness, which is absolutely zero amounts of fun. And yesterday, even with eating and drinking water it made me nauseous for probably 4 hours. My back seems to be clearing up but I do have scars/discoloration that she said would take longer to fade. 3 months seems like a long time to deal with the lady side effects of this. I will try to remember to come back for an update.”

Doctor September 3, 2020

“I am doctor and took doxycycline 100mg for acne on face and back. It works and clears up skin in about two weeks. However, major complaint is that it causes skin darkening/hyperpigmentation. I have brown complexion and spend less than 5 minutes a day in sun but still turned several shades darker after just three weeks of taking it.”

Nico · Taken for less than 1 month September 3, 2020

“I started this medication doxycycline to go along with Retin A for acne, and I was only on it for 3 days before I had to stop it. I started it on a Tuesday night, and all day Wednesday and Thursday I had the worst headache ever. I would feel a little better in the morning, then take the medicine and 30 minutes later the jarring headache was back. So I am just going to stick with the topical. Personally, it’s not worth having a horrible headache everyday. Plus I was reading about the brain swelling that can cause vision damage which freaked me out.”

James · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 26, 2020

“Used apo doxycycline for a month. Side effects included nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, stomach pain and severe headaches. I also developed sensitivity to light. It cleared most of my skin but the side effects were really bad and I had to stop. I should have stopped earlier but was so desperate to get rid of my acne that I kept going for a month. Within a week of stopping treatment my acne came back. Meanwhile, it took a few months for my gut to feel normal again. My appetite only returned to normal after about 3 months. This treatment was very disappointing as it cleared my acne short-term but was not sustainable and had terrible side effects. I am now using duac gel which has no side effects and has reduced my acne.”

Jules · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 22, 2020

“doxycycline worked great on my severe acne right away, but gave me constant heartburn. Stopped it after 2 months and now I'm experiencing severe bouts of fatigue. I don't know if it's related to the med or not.”

Celina · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 2, 2020

“So I'm almost 29. Ive had acne for nearly 5 years. I thought I could cure my acne by just trying new creams, washes, scrubs but finally gave up and went to the doctor. She recommended doxycyline (3 months) and adapalene gel after telling me it looked like severe acne. I was a bit hesitant to take medication as I was afraid it'd come back. She told me the only the option was to see a dermatologist which was about $200-$300. I finally decided to take the meds and use the gel and honestly that was the best decision ever! I started to see a difference on the first day. 2 months in and I feel so confident with my skin. She said if I wanted to repeat it I could. But I'll try and attempt to get off it after my 3rd month. My scarring is still a work in progress but there is a considerable improvement”

Taylor · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 25, 2020

“I started doxycycline in late July 2019 for acne. At the end of the 1st week my acne looked as if it dried up (meaning there wasn’t any pimples only acne scars). If you never use to wear sunscreen well you would need to especially during the first months, your skin is soooo sensitive. Waxing is a no no and exfoliating is a big no (learned the hard way lol). It also causes nausea, it is very important to take it whilst eating or right after a meal to not get nausea. The scaring eventually go away in 2 months or so after use (my experience), for quicker results my Dr. prescribed a skin lightening cream for spot treatment. After 6 months I was off Doxycycline and I just use Retin A and Deriva C alternatively. I don’t have any “active” acne well except the occasional 1 or 2 pimples that appear during menstruation.”

Sab · Taken for less than 1 month May 16, 2020

Acticlate (doxycycline): “DO NOT TAKE THIS. I was prescribed Acticlate in 2015 and took it for about a month for my acne. It gave me permanent BLIND SPOTS. It’s been 5 years and they’re still present. I have read other people who this has happened to. Look up “doxycycline blindness”. Obviously medications are different for everyone, but I was perfectly healthy and not expecting to go blind.”

zombri · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 24, 2020

“I used doxycycline off and on about 2 years. Each time it would help my skin but when I stopped taking it, my face would break out in horrible, cystic acne. I stopped taking it about a week ago once again. Broke out all around my nose, chin, forehead and cheek area with painful acne. Not going to use this drug anymore.”

Patty February 18, 2020

“I used this drug for annoying moderate acne. It started off weird. After 2-3 weeks my skin looked like it was starting to clear up. It stayed like that for about a month. Then at the end of the 2nd month my skin was the worst it’s ever been. Now, I thing that was the purging stage because I stuck to taking it everyday, twice and now I’m in the middle of my third and last month taking it. My skin looks amazing and it’s the best it’s ever been. I would recommend this drug, but make sure u ride with it and trust it because it does take a while to see results.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 11, 2020

“Doxycycline is the best treatment for ACNE....WILL RECOMMEND IT ANYTIME.”

Brad · Taken for less than 1 month February 9, 2020

“Awful do not take this drug for acne. I previously took lymecycline for about a year and half and it worked great, had no side effects but it stoped working so I was put on doxycycline and I only took 6 days worth of pills and developed a persistent headache , dizziness, blurred vision, ringing in my ears that still persisted over a week after I stopped taking these pills. Take a different antibiotic if you can.”

anon · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2020

Vibramycin (doxycycline): “I got off minocycline a month and a half ago after 6 months of successful treatment with it for my acne, & no side effects (mild to moderate inflamed acne here). Acne started coming back so my derm put me on doxycycline (I use azelaic acid 15% once a day topically too). I've been only 4 days on doxy 100mg twice daily & my skin is completely clear again. Zero side effects with this as well. The inflammation subsided in just 2 days. It has saved my skin once again. Tetracyclines work so well for me it's hard to get off of them.”

User · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 27, 2020

“I was prescribed doxycycline 100mg x 1 a day for three months which was for my acne. Please persevere!! After two months my skin had made no improvement at all, I was getting new spots everyday and these were now causing scarring. I felt so down at the fact that it had done absolutely nothing for me! I started exploring other options and considered coming off this antibiotic but thought I’d stick it out for the final month. I’m so glad I did, as I’m now on my final week of the third month and my skin is practically clear! The only thing I now worry is whether my acne will come back after finishing the course... but we will see.”

Learn more about Acne