User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 431 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"I started taking the doxcy (100 mg) once a day for my acne. I am 29 years old female that had never had acne in my teens until now at this age. Okay so I began with this pill and for me it got worse before it got better. I took this for a month and a week and I did see improvement till like my 4th week of using it. So then my derm prescribed the same doxcy (100 mg) but now twice a day which is much better along with tretinoin cream 0.05% every night. This has helped me so much. One big tip that I can give you guys is not to stress about the acne I know it's hard but stressing will only make it worse. Just think that one day it will go away. Now it's been 25 days with the new prescribed doxcy and finally no more acne."

Mrsmeza (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2016

"I've been on doxy for sometime now Atleast 3 months+, I had a horrible experience with the drug at the start, I saw no improvements for about a month then my skin just increasingly got worse, it was extremely painful and it was mostly all down the sides of my face from ear to lips. It played a lot with my mental state because I wasn't sure if it was the breakout before it got better or my skin was just going crazy and this was just my life now. It took over a month for the breakouts to calm down and now I've been left with scarring that looks terrible. I've got quite pale skin so it is very noticeable. So at this point even though my skin has had slight improvements I don't think this was the right path for me."

Al_Pal123 September 8, 2016

"So 4 years ago, having suffered through my teenage years and the start of my 20s with acne (usual places like face, chest and back) and after several doctors giving me cream my face, chest and back (not the easiest to apply cream on your back) i eventually go and see a GP who also specialises in skin. He explained as by now if acne was going to go away, it would have done (by 22/23yo) so puts me on doxycycline. Worked wonders, still suffered spots occasionally but my back when it flairs up is like i have lots of little volcanoes on my back and they are extemely itchy and so the occasional spot wasnt bothering me. 4 years on and 26, spots are back with a vengence but back to skin doc and back on doxy for 3 months. Eat before taking!!"

Kaazz September 6, 2016

"This helped my acne to a good amount, while I was on it. I took this religiously for 6 months. I did not see any improvements until around the third month, and up until this point I just kept asking why I'm the only one my age with acne, and why it won't go away. For the last three months of my prescription though, my acne was kept at bay. I still had 2-3 pimples on my face at all times, but it was better than the usual amount. I had scarring left over, but I think the biggest disappointment of this regimen was in is the fact that my acne came back with vengeance about a month after I stopped taking it. After 3 months of trying every drugstore/high end option, I'm going to go back to the dermatologist and try something new."

AlexaTaylor September 5, 2016

"Do not get the monohydrate!!! It will make your acne ten times worse and it will not get better for weeks you are much better getting the other kind."

Heheh September 3, 2016

"I have had severe acne ever since I was about 14; when my period started. I have tried proactiv, every topical treatment and over the counter wash almost I know. I also have changed my diet and went on the candida cleanse as well as tried minocycline. But nothing, absolutely nothing has helped as it should have until I went on doxycycline and I am 18 now! It is the best thing I have ever tried! Within a week, I noticed a huge improvement and it is week three now and all my cystic acne is gone and I am almost acne free expect a few hormonal pimples that I am about to go on birth control for. I am so thankful and I thank God everyday for letting me find it!! Thank you, Lord!"

FutureGaMeteorologistGirl17 (taken for less than 1 month) August 31, 2016

"I've been on doxycycline (100 mg daily for three months) twice, a year apart. The first time cleared my skin up beautifully. I had horrible cystic acne with new pimples popping up every day before I went to my dermatologist. I started clearing up within the first month. A year later, I started to break out again so I went back on it and my skin is back to being clear. I definitely recommend taking it with food, though. I got really bad heartburn for a week because I took this pill without eating."

MissxMegan August 28, 2016

"Used for stubborn chin and jawline acne. I'm a 23 y/o woman and 110lbs. I have been on a lower dose, 100mg once a day. I avoid dairy/calcium around the time I take this medication. My acne started to clear significantly at two months, by three months it was completely gone. I stopped taking antibiotics after three months and two months later my acne came back. Now I'm back on the same dose again. Hopefully with time I will see long term improvement."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2016

"I have been struggling with severe acne for the past two years. seems like nothing I did could help me so I tried to use ucerin which is a very rich body lotion on my face this caused me to get cystic acne which was horrible I stopped using the ucerin and that went away . I have to put benzol peroxide on my face 24 seven usually and I use xout and moisturizer every day twice a day. This was horrible I was depressed I hated my life and my face looked horrible overall. My doctor prescribed me doxycycline and as soon as I started using that I saw results today is the 14th day and my face is already almost perfectly clear. This drug is amazing and I 100% recommend it cause plain and simple it works. No initial breakout from this."

Tatethegreat August 27, 2016

"I'm an African American female 20 yr old female & I've had acne since high school.Recently , this summer , I was prescribed the doxycycline 150mg to take once a day . Originally , the summer before I was prescribed another formula of doxycycline , to take twice daily . I took two pills at once by accident and about 45 minutes later , I threw up. Even though , I didn't take the correct dose , I could still tell this pill was not going to sit well in my stomach . The formula (150mg) I am taking now is much better. It was a struggle hanging in there for the first month because my body had to get used to it . But I did . I advice to eat with food or on a full stomach. Hang in there. I'm waiting on my second refill . Definetly see results ."

AnonymousGirl1108 August 22, 2016

"I have got severe acne all over my face apart from forehead this is my third week and I have seen no improvement it has made it worse to be honest my derm prescribed me 100 mg once daily for three months also my acne has become extremely painfull"

Nz4lyf (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2016

"I'm currently taking this for a bad skin infection and it's clearing my pimples as well.. I read some comments of people saying they're taking this for months and months with "no side effects". You may not see visible side effects but taking this even twice can make it resilient for something serious like staph or MRSA. Trust me, I have MRSA and I'm on my 3rd antibiotic and it's resilient to the antibiotics. These infections can kill you... acne is awful, I had it as a teen but there are natural ways to cure it without antibiotics."

Be careful (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2016

"I developed cystic acne, I'm guessing as a result of hormones, stress, and genetics. My doctor and I changed what we were using during the second visit, since we were doing some trial and error (figuring out what works). Since my skin is not sensitive, we went from a combination of doxycycline, tretinoin, and clyndimicine (idk how to spell it) to a combination of tretinoin of higher strength, erythromycin/BP gel, and minocycline. My skin has cleared up in a matter of 2 months with the occasional pimples and some acne scarring. I had to switch from doxy to mono because after my first round of doxy, my insurence would not cover any form of it for some reason, I which is why I gave it a 5."

Sabrina L (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2016

"I'm an eighteen year old female and I started taking these 100mg doxycycline monohydrate pills only four days ago because they worked great for my brothers. I've been taking them with tons of water and food. They seem to work so far but I've been waking up with terrible migraine-like headaches and confusion. I'm usually an early riser and a morning person but these make me feel really nauseated. I don't recommend them for anyone who gets migraines like I do."

18 years old (taken for less than 1 month) August 15, 2016

"I've had horrible cystic acne for about 2 years now. It left horrible scarring that still remains but after my first 3 months it went away completely. Not even the occasional pimple, I just believe it makes me gain weight and lose harder. Besides that, works really well with no side effects."

beachgothic (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 6, 2016

"Hi! I'm Krissy. About a month ago I had a terrible breakout with cystic acne all over my cheeks & chin. It got so bad that it hurt to go to sleep at night. About a week ago I went & seen the doctor & he prescribed me doxycycline 100 mg to take once a day & he also prescribed me benzaclin which is benzoyl peroxide & I've been on all this for about a week & I've noticed good improvement.Its drying up all my acne. There not completely gone but before this month is over they will be.. It just takes time & patience."

• Krissy • August 6, 2016

"I'm 15 years old and have had horrible acne on my face, body, and chest since 6th grade. It's been tearing down my self esteem to the point of not wanting to go outside, I even stopped swimming one summer. So about 2 weeks ago, I went to my dermatologist and he prescribed me 150mg of Acticlate (doxycycline) and I've been taking it every night along with using SulfaCleanse and Atralin. So far, I've seen no improvement in my acne whatsoever. My chest acne has gotten worse, and my face and back have stayed the same. I see my dermatologist next week and if no improvement is seen before then, I'm hoping there's another option."

Fauna S. August 3, 2016

"Over the summer before I enter college, I had severe acnes all over my face, it came to the point where I don't want to go outside because my acnes ate all my self confidence. My derma gave me different creams but none of them works. So at last, my derma made me try doxycycline and after a week my face had cleared up. I took it for 3 months, even if I ate lots of chocolates, and even if I have slept late, there will be no appearance of pimples while I'm taking the pill. But after the 3 months, I stopped and my pimples are starting to appear again but not as worse as before. So I am taking it again. I would definitely recommend it but you have to continuously use it or else your pimple will come back. But maybe It will not be the same for yo"

Anonymous August 1, 2016

"I have acne all over my face for four years. I'M turning 20.I have oily and too much bumps on my chin and I really hate it! It minimize my confidence. I almost tried everything otc for my condition. I tried cetaphil but it doesnt work. Now, my derma suggested me to take doxy 100mg twice a day. I also have a soap named Bactazil and I use benzoyl peroxide 5% .. so far so good. Its my 6th day. Yes, redness is still there. But my pimples become less. There are no pus on my chin and cheek. I'm looking forward for the next step which is accutane. anw, Hello there from philippines!."

Celerypeps July 30, 2016

Monodox (doxycycline): "My daughter had had horrible acne for years. Nothing has worked, tried everything except birth control pills. She had her wisdom teeth pulled and was prescribed this and within 3 days her face was clear. Totally amazing! Shocked to find such a simple solution that has not given her any side effects."

Mam8 July 23, 2016

"I've been using it for 3 weeks, whilst also using cetaphil, moisturising, exercising, drinking a lot of water. It hasn't helped that much at all, it seemed to work, but all the acne is still winning. After 4 weeks I'm ditching it if I see no significant improvements"

Jimmy R G July 22, 2016

"I took Doxycycline for severe cystic acne for six months. My skin cleared up beautifully, however once I stopped taking it, within a week, my skin broke out 10x worse than it was before I started taking Doxycycline. I ended up not only with the usual painful cystic acne, but also on top of that developed acne rosacea... So my face was lumpy, painful, and terribly red."

LouH83 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

"I'm 15 and had pretty bad acne for about three years. My dermatologist percribed 150mg doxycycline haplate to take once in the AM, also paired with 0.1% adapalene gel 2 or 3 times a week and cetaphil gentle face clenser every night This has tremendously helped my acne!!!! Also i use PanOxyl face wash (recommend by dermatologist) and a moisturizer every morning, You can buy it at Walmart or Walgreens. As for the doxycycline I haven't had any side effects other than little stomach aches but that's it. (I've only been using this routine for 14 days So I don't know about what will happen but as for now it's pretty great :)"

* READ (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2016

"I am 18 years old, and had severe acne on my cheeks and chin area since I was about 14. Acne was the hardest thing I have ever went through and was ruining my confidence. I went to the dermatologist and got prescribed .1% tretinoin cream and doxycycline 100mg twice a day. I was on doxy for 4 months and my acne stayed EXACTLY the same. I always read the review on this site for this product, and promised myself I would write one. I did not work for me, but that doesn't mean it won't work for you. I have been off doxy for about four weeks now and I have ZERO pimples. I do have a lot of redness and LOTS of acne scars, but use mederma and have had one laser treatment for scars and am planning on having 2 more. Stay positive... it gets better!!"

sav1234 July 16, 2016

"I'm 16 years old, my skin was really clear in the beginning of my freshman year, but my acne started at the end of freshman year. Obviously occasional breakouts but i started to pick at my face and it just got progressively worse. My acne isn't cystic or all over my face, my breakouts occur in certain areas such as my forehead/hairline. A few blackheads in my T zone and on my lower checks. The pimples i suffer most with are whiteheads and blackheads. I always popped whiteheads and blackheads and they have left scars on my face, I tried Retin-A and other medications but im now using Doxy and ive seen few results but I honestly hope to see greater results at the end of summer 2016 just in time for when i go back to school for my junior year."

Anonymous July 12, 2016