User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 438 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"Today I'm starting Doxycycline. I was prescribed it because of my cystic acne that only developed because of my Birth control I was on. I had the arm implant. The worst decision of my life. I will check back in in 2 weeks to let you know how it worked for me. Please take with food or else it will cause stomach aches."

cynmonique February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This medicine will hurt your stomach at first. It is the first two weeks for me and the acne has gotten got much much worse and I'm wondering when I will see improvement"

Joey B (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've always suffered from acne from a very young age I would always buy face washes every week thinking it would help and it never did. I started to give up on clearing my face.. After a while I stopped buying face scrubs and other face cleansers etc and I would buy acne cream which would make my pimples less irritated but didn't get rid of them also they would leave my skin with dry patches which would look very bad once makeup is applied. After a while my doctor prescribed me doxycycline at the start it made my face get worse but a few weeks in my face started to clear up and a few months in my face was bump free.. Although the scars are still there till this day.. also I noticed my acne slightly came back once I was off the medication."

Olivia8532 February 12, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm 37 and I suffer from pcos. I have been battening cystic acne since I was 25. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on meds, topical creams, different dermatologists and even laser treatments that have become costly. Doxy is a quick fix and as long as you're on it, it will work. However, coming off the meds you're skin will start to purge so be prepared. I've been mixing the right vitamins, cutting out dairy, eating GF, and keeping my diet rich in lots of green leafy veggies and high protein. I also have to exercise at least 3 times a week. Taking probiotics is also extremely important. Don't exfoliate too much and try to keep your cleansing regime simple. Hope this helps."

Hormone imbalance Sue February 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I first took doxy at the age of 16. I took it for about 4 months and after those 4 months my face was stunning. My perfect face lasted for a year and a half with the occasional period breakouts(which only consisted of 1 or 2 pimples). Then my face started going crazy again I decided to take the pills again. This time I only took 3 months worth of pills but, yet again, when I stopped taking them my face remained flawless again for 6 months! A couple months ago (dec 2016) my face was starting to show signs of acne. I was prescribed only 1 month worth of doxy this time (by family doctor and my face was becoming clear once again. Yet when I ran out of pills my face took a turn for the worst. 3 MO. MIN FOR THIS PILL OR HELL BREAKS LOOSE!!!!"

AndreeaR February 9, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"My daughter 14 1/2 started this exactly 2 weeks ago with a face wash Epiduo Forte every other day. If anything, her face has gotten much worse. How long does this take to work? I'm about to call the derm by end of week. Thanks!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Flattened out my acne, but that is about it. Would not recommend if your acne is deeply rooted and are scarring, but would recommend to those who frequently gets pimples with pus."

Your Nickname February 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Terrible just terrible & the dermatologists that prescribed it is only in it for the money! Two months on it everything was fine I still had minor breakouts but much better than before. I went back for a follow up and they say I wasn't in the system so I had to schedule a whole new appointment and within this month off of it my acne is coming back and it looks as if it's trying to become even worse!!!! This looks like a get rich scheme if you ask me..."

JB1991 February 3, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm 16 years old and I've been struggling with cystic acne since I was 12. Strangely my pimples will mostly come out on my nose and sometimes on my cheeks. They always grew huge and fat. Believe me I tried every topical treatment I can think of and even tried organic ones too and none of them worked I then decided to go see a derm and got the pills and honestly I was afraid of it not working and just making my pimples even bigger and worse but it did not. It left my face almost completely acne free I have not felt nauseous, my acne didn't get worse, surprisingly!!! The pills have not giving me any horrible side affects I believe the reason is because it's best to TAKE THE PILL WITH FOOD It will lower the chances of getting side affects"

Cysticsucks (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I'm 20 years old and I have had acne since I first became a teenager. For almost 7 years, there hasn't been a day where I haven't had a dozen pimples on my face. It mainly affects my chin and jawline with the occasional few on my forehead and temples of my face. I went to the doctor and was prescribed doxy 100mg once a day for 3 months. By week 2, I couldn't believe it. My skin was super smooth and clear and I couldn't believe it. It has now been 6 weeks and my skin looks great. I have also switched my beauty routine to sensitive skin scare (QV), and have been using benzac (which never used to work before using doxy). My doctor is pleased and is keeping me on it until the 6 month mark. Fingers crossed it stays away :)"

Ecstatic (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I never had acne as a teenager but when I hit my mid 20's it came forcefully! I am now 27 and have bad cystic acne. I have one on my right eye so bad that my eye is swollen shut. I went and see a derm and she gave me Doxycycline 100 mg 2 times a day and clindamycin lotion. I'm on day two of those meds. We'll see in a month or so how its done. I can't do this anymore! I look hideous. I am currently wearing sunglasses everywhere I go to hide the cyst. I need this to work so my self esteem comes back."

Lady Lanq17 (taken for less than 1 month) January 28, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Today I went to the doctors to get a better prescription for my acne since the benzoyl peroxide 10% cream has stopped working for me. Today my doctor prescribed me Doxycycline Monohy 100mg to take once a day. I'm kind of scared to take it because of all the reviews and side affects but I really want my face to clear up. I always feel self conscious about my face. Cross my fingers and hope for the best is what I keep saying to myself."

Stephanie152 January 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I took doxycycline for about eight months. It was working great and significantly cleared up my face (though not completely). My doctor took me off it because you can develop a resistance to it over time and it also makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight (although I felt at that that point it was still working fine). Now about two months after being off it my acne has come back with a vengeance, it's almost as bad as it was before I took it. It is soul crushing to look into the mirror and see your skin become worse again. Before you take it it is important to realize it is only a temporary fix and to be prepared for it to come back after you stop taking it. O acne thou hell o' a' diseases"

Allnicknamesareinuse January 16, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I used doxycycline (200mg) for about 19 months for my rosacea. Discontinued it about 3 wks ago. Coming off the medication is wreaking havoc on my skin. My main issue w/ rosacea was the facial redness, not acne, but the doctor never really explained that doxycycline might not help the former, and I was so desperate to find a "miracle drug" that I failed to ask the right questions or do the right research -- my fault. Now I'm dealing with acne, and it's absolutely disheartening. My cheeks forehead look worse than ever. Not to mention weight gain and feelings of pressure in my head. I would not recommend this medication. I regret taking it. There should be a warning that discontinuing the med *WILL* result in negative effects on your skin."

amydoom (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hi, I took Doxy for 1 month before I had to stop taking it because it gave me very bad acid reflux for a week. At first it seemed as if Doxy wasn't really doing anything, but after 1 month of taking it, it took away all my cystic acne! Very effective in my opinion but you need to give it time before it kicks in"

M239C January 11, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed Doxycycline the summer. I had moderate to severe acne and within a month my face had almost cleared all up. It was great. I continued taking the pill for a year and a half but as I continued I realized my acne was slowly coming back even with the pill. My face had become resistant to doxycycline so I now switched to another antibiotic. My only advice to you, try it if you want to but as many others have said it's only a temporary solution."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been on doxycycline 3 weeks now, I've had cystic acne for 3 years now I have it under control with benzoyl peroxide. I still have a few cysts here and there so I decided to try the doxy to get rid of all of it once and for all, I've noticed my overall skin more glowy and healthier looking and I haven't had 1 cyst since getting on it but I have had several small zits in places I never usually get them like my forehead. I think that's the medicine pushing out all the bad stuff hopefully it will be 100% by the 1 month mark when I go back to the derm (I'm also using retin-a topical at night) doxy never effected my stomach or gave me any type of side effect at all."

savvvv January 8, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"AMAZING BUT DON'T GO OFF OF IT IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR ACNE TO RETURN. I had mild acne about a year and a half ago and was prescribed doxy and it completely cleared up my acne with Differin. I went from mild acne to literally perfect skin and my dark marks disappeared too (maybe the differin too). I went off of the doxy because my skin was perfectly clear, and my acne was back within a month and now my skin is an absolute disaster, moderate acne and hyperpigmentation everywhere. I completely regret going off of this pill, and am so insecure now. I just went back on doxy about 3 days ago and am hoping my skin returns to what it once was. Also doxy made my skin burn in the summer so be careful."

Anonymous January 8, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been on doxycycline hyclate (100 my once a day) for 3 months now and it has worked wonders for me. At first I was taking it on an empty stomach like it was recommended, but found that it gave me extreme nausea and stomach pains. I then started taking it 2 hours after my meals and my stomach pains stopped. Its taken a while for my body to get used to the medication, but after about a month my acne started to go away. At the 2 month mark all of my acne was gone. It takes time but it has worked wonders for me."

Anonymou January 3, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"It works but long term it becomes a problem. Sadly the acne returned ."

Sammygirl 73 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 30, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been using antibiotics for acne for years now. I started off with Minocycline for 4 years until recently I switched over to Doxycycline. When I switched over to doxycycline, my face cleared up and I felt so much confidence. There were two types I used. I first used doxycycline monohydrate for a year and it stopped working for my face. Then I switch over to doxycycline hyclate. Hyclate is stronger if you have really bad acne, but I prefer you talk to your doctor about it first."

SuzyHu (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 28, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Wanted to update what I last posted at the 3 week mark. I stopped taking it a month ago after being on it for 13 months and have not had acne since!!! Fingers crossed mine may be gone for good. Although the beginning was rough going onto this medication has been one of the best decisions i have ever made. just a heads up, this medication made me get travel/air sick which is not normal for me, so I would advise going on a break from it a few days prior to flying or a long car journey."

Anonymous Kiwi (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was just here in this website an notice that some people are complaining about breaking out with red rashes/bumps i as a kid was allergic to the CYCLINE family an couldn't take certain medications when I was younger like (Amox-Pen).im now 21 an was having a few break outs non stop. So I though I would go to the Dermatologist for some help. They prescribed me DOXYCYCLINE!!! I took them NOT thinking I was allergic to the DOXY and guess what - sure enough started to break out with the red bumps an dry rashy red feeling so be sure you are not allergic to the CYCLINE family before taking this medication!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Steve7676 December 21, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Not impressed with doxycycline at all. Been taking it for about four months now and my skin has never looked worse. I've been sunburnt terribly, gained weight, bruised more, and everywhere on my face has more pimples. I'm coming off this in a few days, can't wait."

Ffion December 19, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Ive been on doxycycline for almost about a month now and over all it did pretty well. I'm 22 years old and I've been battling acne since I was 18. I initially had pretty bad cystic acne from 18 to 20 years old. I was on 2 rounds of accutane before I got on doxy. The only real side effects that I experienced were facial redness and dryness. The acne started clearing up 2 weeks in the routine. I was 100mg twice a day going on to 50mg. For the most part the medication works just highly recommend drinking a lot of water and loading up on the sunscreen/moisturizer."

Nike945 22 year old male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2016