User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, Ocudox, Oracea, Oraxyl, Periostat, Targadox, Uracil, Vibra-Tabs, Vibramycin …show all brand names

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 402 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"After taking doxycycline for a period of around 3 months last summer I found my cystic acne to have completely disappeared. If anything is worthy of being called a miracle drug this surely is it for me. My face became completely free of pimples. Like not a single one. Unfortunately, my dermatologist only prescribed this to me for a period of 3 months (as it can affect the liver after sometime) and upon going off it my acne came right back; and quite aggressively it did. I do wonder if its possible my acne has gotten worse as I find its built a resistance to lower level medications such as Retin-A and benzoyl peroxide. I'm very tempted to go on this again as I know it will clear my skin while I take the medication, but I fear it will return at an even worse rate upon stopping the doxycycline."

Chris (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2018

"I’ve been on doxycycline for 2 weeks now and it’s just made my skin worse. More pimples are showing up and it’s not the greatest. I’m also using a tretinoin cream (I’ve been using it for awhile). Nothing is working for my skin. I haven’t had clear skin since I was 10 and I’m 18. I’m hoping doxycycline kicks in and does it’s magical job. I’ve tried everything."

Kpham (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2018

"After doing 6 months of minocycline and successfully getting rid of my acne, I started having blemishes on my back and parts of my face, so my doctor prescribed me doxycycline 100mg and Retin A every day. Was on it for 3 months and a half, and I developed THE WORST breakout I’ve ever have, and my acne became way worst than when I started on minocycline. I curse and regret the day I started on doxycycline since now I have cysts and pimples on my face, back, chest, sometimes ears, and now starting to get on my arms. I’m about to go on accutane next month, and I’m praying that this will actually do the job."

Ángela G (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2018

"Okay so, I have moderate to severe acne and due to exams I couldn’t be given roaccutane, instead I was prescribed doxycycline. I have been taking it for 7 days and I have had an initial bad breakout of white heads across my face. I’m hoping this is just my body reacting and that it will clear and start working within a month. I also had a bad migraine this morning but these are common for me so not sure if it is a side effect. Will keep you updated."

acne628394 May 3, 2018

"I’m 48 years old and still get breakouts! I’ve used epiduo with some success... however went to the dr today about a terrible cystic pimple. I’ve been prescribed doxycycline. And am hoping for a miracle. I will follow up at the end of the 7 days with my experience"

Nicole (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2018

"This has helped my skin so much, I suffered from moderate cystic acne and it completely cleared my skin on my face, back, and chest with no side effects. Reading some of these reviews I'm shocked that people have had bad experiences with this as it has been nothing but a life saver for me. Give it a try, everyone’s experience is different. :)"

Jess (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2018

"I posted when I had been taking doxy for 3 weeks, and this is an update now about 2 years on. I stayed on it for about 16 months and suffered no side effects form it except for travel sickness, which is supposedly a common side effect my doctor forgot to mention (especially on planes - be warned! Consider going off it a few days before you fly.) Anyway, I have been off it now for at about 8 months and very rarely get any pimples. Very happy"

AnonymousKiwi (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2018

"Been on the medication for abuot 4weeks now. My skin has been clear and very soft so far. I feel confident about the medicine keeping my skin clear."

Nicki April 16, 2018

"My moderate acne has always been something I’ve struggled with, which is why I asked my dermatologist to prescribe me accutane. Ironically, she told me that my acne wasn’t bad enough and prescribed me doxycycline (she also told me to go to another dermatologist instead). Currently, I take both, doxycycline and ortho try-cyclen lo (birth control pills), to get rid of my acne, and I can honestly say that I feel like doxycycline has done absolutely nothing. As a matter of fact, my back acne got significantly worse than it was before. I’m going to hope that it does get better eventually because it would suck having to wear an evening dress with pimples everywhere. [ps: I haven’t felt sick or anything like that while using this medication]"

Vyl (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2018

"I've never had skin problems as I was growing up, until I was 21. I started having pimples on my face, and then before I knew it I had acne problem within a short period of time. I didn't know what to use so I tried facial products (garnier and herbal soaps) none of them worked. I stopped using them and started using sunlight bar soap for my face, pimples would dry out after using it. In March this year I consulted a medical practitioner and he prescribed cyclidox, I'm taking 1 capsule daily and I don't see any change on my face. I've experienced the nausea side effect, extremely painful stomachache, dizziness. It's been 22 days now since I started using these pills, I don't know if its early to expect changes or this medicine is too slow for me. Also, I need something to apply on my face while taking these pills as I don't know what works best to remove acne. Please help..."

Tina (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2018

"This was by far my worst experience, I had better luck and way less side effects on accutane . I had severe stomach pains two days after starting it twice daily , extreme nausea and awful heart burn . I’ve used this for about two months and my acne has only gotten worse as well as the side effects I 100% do not recommend."

Kae (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2018

"Don’t waste your time you’ll be left with hyperpigmentation from the horrible initial breakout. Just go straight to accutane"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2018

"This medication hospitalized me. I had excruciating stomach cramps to the point of begging for narcotics. This happened the 2nd day I took it. I would never recommend this drug. It didn't work and caused me more pain than my acne ever has. Please be careful before taking this."

Raynebow (taken for less than 1 month) March 20, 2018

Doryx (doxycycline): "My 13yo took 120mg if Doryx EC for one month. During that time, I had to take her out of school twice for migraine headaches. The last headache was so bad that her arm went numb, and she temporarily lost her vision. Needless to say, I stopped giving her Doryx, since I feared intracranial hypertension. It helped her acne, but it’s not worth any risk of IH or blindness!"

Concerned mom (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2018

"- u may experience an extreme initial breakout - extreme nausea and upset stomach if not consumed with a meal - u may have your acne return with a vengeance in short amount of time of stopping this medication if no adequate results appear within 12 weeks of treatment an alternative method should be attempted *If you have gone thru a course of antibiotics you should consume probiotics regularly to balance your gut flora which will affect acne in a positive way* Natural ways to try - Increase your fibre intake - Take enzyme supplements if you have problems with digestion - regularly consume probiotics - pass bowel movements regularly - drink a minimum of 2 litres of water daily - test for food sensitivities - check hormone levels through blood work - no popping or picking as the pressure applied when you squeeze releases bacteria underneath the skin and new blemishes will harvest"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"I've been on this for about a month now and most of my skin is clear! I broke out really bad on the second week and my skin is still healing from that. I have a few zits come in here and there but they are tiny, unnoticeable and go away within a day! hoping to see even better results after my next month!"

Jaicha (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2018

"I’ve been on this med for several months now for acne and it worked wonders! However I do feel super nauseous when I take it on an empty stomach AND you have to drink a pretty good amount of water in it because the pill can cause serious throat pain if you don’t wash it down good enough. It’s been about 7 months on it and now I'm experiencing a really severe acne flare up and my skin is super dry and peeling which has never happened before... any advice?"

anon (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2018

"Hey guys, I've been suffering from acne for 5 years now I am 21 years old. Latest 5 months I've been experiencing the worst acne ever on my back, face, neck, and chest. I've decided to take doxycycline after choosing this before accutane. I started a week ago and I must tell you THERE IS A LOT OF IMPROVEMENT. Since I started taking it, although it says acne should be worse before it gets better but not for me. I'll keep you updated each 2 weeks from now, GL."

georgos (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2018

"I started doxycycline a little over a month ago and I am very pleased with it so far! I haven’t noticed complete results but from what I read it takes time to get there. I have been using epiduo forte with it as well and feel like that is enhancing the results quite a bit. I haven’t had any side effects with this drug, but I make sure to eat something and drink an entire glass of water with it. I also don’t recommend laying down for at least an hour after taking it. It’s worth it! There is no harm in trying."

El February 28, 2018

"I never struggled with acne until I began college. (I am 20 yrs old, moderate acne) I went to the doctor and was prescribed doxycycline. I took it for almost 5 months and have not noticed any change in my face. I kept taking it with hopes that it would kick in and start to work. I stopped taking it a few days ago, and hopefully I will find something that helps"

Lauren (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2018

"I have always struggled with acne. It’s never been too severe, but I’m in college and don’t feel like waking up early for class everyday to cover up a few blemishes. I went to the dermatologist about 6 weeks ago and he prescribed me doxy 100mg once a day, taken on a full stomach. I use epiduo forte on my face in the evenings. The first few days my face cleared up a lot. But let me tell you, I’ve NEVER HAD ACNE ON MY ENTIRE BODY LIKE THIS! Yes I would break out on my shoulders, sometimes a pimple on my arm, but 3 weeks into doxy my arms, shoulders down to my butt, and even thighs (never had an issue in my life before) are terrible! I’m talking dozens of zits clustered everywhere in those areas. While I’m happy I am finally able to feel confident in my face, the doxy seemed to have a reverse affect on all other parts of my body. So basically the part I wanted clear is wonderful and everywhere else that was clear is terrible. I wonder if the epiduo is the real miracle worker."

HH2021 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2018

"After 2-3 days of taking it , my face has gotten 10 times worst, I stopped taking it immediately and I’m still experiencing the worst breakout I’ve ever had , I suggest if you’re going to take this, do it if you’re off from work or everyday life for 2 weeks, I would only continue to take this if I could go into hiding until it works, they say with taking this your breakouts are supposed to worsen before it gets better but I have to work so no thank you , I hate my face right now"

Stef1 February 19, 2018

"I have been struggling with acne since I was 14, now I'm 25. I tried almost everything but none worked. 3 weeks ago I went to the dermatologist and he prescribed doxycycline for 3months. I have never been happier. So far I am pimple free"

MsMabez February 18, 2018

"Ok so I started breaking out with acne around 3 months ago. It was really bad due to my face being really red with blemishes and pimples which were located mainly around my chin. I noticed that washing my face helped my current acne, but I wanted a treatment that would help my skin for the future. My doctor prescribed me for doxycycline 100mg, I have been taking them for about a month and I am pleased with the results. It helped decrease inflammation. However, I have heard that once you stop taking this drug you will break out again due to your body not being use to the antibiotic. Am seriously worried and may change to a different type of treatment"

Alex turner (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2018

"Doxycycline has done absolutely nothing for my acne, which is moderate to severe. In fact, whilst being on it, I have gotten more spots on my face and back. It's done nothing to sort out the acne that was previously there, and certainly done nothing to the new spots. I am just over 3 weeks into the treatment and really not holding out hope that it will do anything by the time I reach the end of the course, which carries on for another month."

sarah_mocha (taken for less than 1 month) February 5, 2018