User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, Ocudox, Oracea, Oraxyl, Periostat, Targadox, Uracil, Vibra-Tabs, Vibramycin …show all brand names

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 400 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"This DID NOT work for me. It made my stomach hurt constantly and after 2 and a half months my skin had gotten noticeably worse. This caused depression and just overall sadness. This drug hurts your stomach, and makes your acne worse. Do not recommend."

Jimmy778 December 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've always had mild acne since about 13 (20 Years old now), absolutely nothing that would ever bother me, just a few pimples here and there. All of a sudden I started a new job about 2 months ago and my acne had the worst breakout I've ever had, I was hesitant to talk to my derm because I wanted to see if it was just a phase that my normal routine would clear up but after about 3 weeks I gave up and went to my derm. She prescribed me 3 months worth of 100mg Doxycycline (1 a day) and I'm about 5 or 6 weeks in with really no results. My cheeks have cleared up a bit but my forehead is still really bad. So I'm hoping it will clear up by the end of the 3 months, by Christmas would be even better."

The Hopeful Guy (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I struggle with hormonal acne and always thought that it would never get better after trying so many different products from Sephora, until I went to my dermatologist. I asked for Accutane since a friend of mine recommended it, but my derm said my acne wasn't severe enough and the side effects were not worth it. So, he prescribed me Doxy and told me to take it daily after a heavy meal or else it would make me nauseous, and it was fully covered by my insurance. After the first month, I saw no results and started to get frustrated when he told me to stay on it for another 2 months. This drug takes patience, and although I stopped breaking out, I complained about my scars and he gave me Tretinoin cream, and both meds have worked wonders!"

Joann V (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking doxy tab for about 17 days 100mg a day. The first week I saw no difference I still had mild acne on my cheek and on my chin. The second week my acne on my chin was a little bit better. Now, I am on my 3 rd week and I'm on my period so this is why I think that it is worst."

LÉA ecew October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have always had clear skin until I turned 30 and just one day I started having severe acne all over my face. Called up my derm and she recommended Doxcycline. I am on my week 2 of this drug. Not seeing any major changes yet. Derm said that I need to take it 2x a day with food and apply topical cream (Retin A) at night. I really really hope it clears up after 2 months of course."

anisha14 September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Okay so I've had pneumonia (Viral) and now I'm left with post viral bacterial bronchitis infection. I've been given Doxycycline (Sandoz) tablets and have only taken six tablets. Now my doctor also notice that I also have quiet severe acne and scaring. He explained about the medicine and said if my skin starts clearing up let him know and I can get more. My experience so far is amazing only reason why it's one off from 10/10 is because I did break out in the first 3 days and it brought up an ugly big pimple that has left me bruised. 3 days later almost gone. My face is not sore as it was before. On top of it I do have a daily routine (sometimes). I take Bio Zinic tablets, deep cleanser (Niva) and Real-U (cream) on affected areas. I clean my face 4 days a week."

HappyUser September 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I just started my second week and my face feels slightly better .. First week was horrible I broke out I guess it takes all the dirt out at first and then clears your face.. ( hopefully ). I was about to give up the first week I really went through a hard depression phase but my mother a pharmacist overwhelmed me with motivation. Guys I promise you just have to be patient. My second week is so much better and I am also using differin gel which helps too. I apply it at night and papulax lotion . Drink lots of water and be patient. Good luck"

KCCCCCC (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was on doxyclyine for about 5 months. Before I started it I had mild acne and just little breakouts on my forehead every once in a while. The first month I was on it, I saw little to no change, but once I got to month 2 my face was almost completely clear. I was also using a topical cream alongside the pill. By month 5, my skin was still clear, but one night when I took the pill I didn't take it with enough water and it didn't go all the way down my throat without me realizing it. I woke up the next morning with crazy chest pain and went to the doctor to find out I got an ulcer in my esophagus from the pill! The pain in my chest lasted about three weeks and it was terrible. Moral of the story, drink lots of water when taking this drug and eat afterwards so the food pushes it all the way down and definitely don't lay down after taking it!!"

Klh0728 September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've had acne for about 3-4 years. Was prescribed doxy and can not get through a week of taking it! It's been 5 days and I haven't had a pimple at all where I was getting at least two a day BUT on the fifth day I have small bumps on my forehead and my forehead is always clear but that's not the issue. I had severe headaches every night, my head felt so tight! I also got a small rash on my arm (about the size of a coin) on the forth day. The next day I had about 2 more small rashes on my body. My chest and boobs are covered in little spots and some have a white head, same with my back and I never had issues with my back or chest before! Down stairs area is so dry and sore. Honestly can't stand the side effects. Not worth the pain!"

20 year old female (taken for less than 1 month) September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Was really disappointed. I had previously been on everything under the sun from epiduo, to clindatech and all. Very disheartening to everyday see new acne whilst a friend also on it was gaining no new acne. I would advocate for people with moderate to severe acne (as anything less, doxy may work) asking for something else as it truly is a waste of time"

Chyme Anne (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had the worst breakout I had even faced. I had large cystic acne plus there are small bumps that can't be squeeze out. I tried almost all home remedies there are on the internet but nothing works so I decided it's time to see a doctor. She prescribed me doxycycline 100mg twice a day along with 2 vitamins and to come back in a week. Didn't say anything about it before or after meal. She said it's okay to drink it right after a meal so that's what I did. At first, I had upset stomach even though I'm taking it after a meal. After a week, I still had flare ups and they're really swollen. She prescribed me the same dosage for another week, and noticeably, the flare ups were reduced, not entirely gone. I'm on my 3rd wk now and still hopeful."

Peng_2017 (taken for less than 1 month) September 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had mild cystic acne and have been on this medication for almost 2 months and am pleased with the results. I do believe, like with most acne medications that it brings the acne to the surface and makes it worse before it becomes better. The doctor suggested taking the medication on an empty stomach. When I would do so in the morning, it would make me extremely nauseous. So I started taking it at night right before I go to bed and it has been much much better. For those that have said it made them nauseous or vomit, I'd recommend taking it early evening with food and a really large glass of water (it really burns if it gets stuck in your throat). Even when I've had difficulty sleeping (unrelated to the medication) I never felt nauseous. My doctor said to use it for 2 months and then go back and see him."

Just.a.username September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on doxy for about 3 months now and for the first 2 months it worked wonders for me it cleared my acne right up and no flare ups.By the 3rd month my acne was worse than ever not sure if I should continue use of medication but I would recommend this medication to anyone just make sure to ask your derm how long to stay on it"

Drock92 August 31, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was very self conscious about my acne for quite a while. When people started telling me I had a lot of pimples (adults and kids) I thought "Ok I switched to a whole bunch of natural regimens already and nothing's working. It's time to go to the dermatologist." So my parents took me there and they prescribed me with Doxycycline Hyclate. They gave me the tablet version though, not the capsule one. So I didn't have to worry about choking on it or having an upset stomach. After a week, there was a slight difference in my skin. I still had breakouts but they weren't that big. After a month now, people have told me that my face is clearing up, meaning it's noticeable so the med is really working its magic. But now there's a lot of scaring"

Sleana (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this anatibiotic for a little over a week and has made my face look worse than it has ever before. Really getting tired of acne and nothing works."

Anonymous August 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking this drug when my acne got worse. Before that, I had only tried topical acne treatments (b.p, erythromycin) which worked well at first but later became ineffective. I had several cysts and pustules by the time I started this drug, it healed my cysts fairly fast but broke me out in pustules. After the two month mark (I took it for 3), my acne had decreased noticeably. I was really happy for about a month after I was done , until my acne came back much much worse. I'm not saying this drug is definitely the reason, but logically speaking, my acne was never this bad. It was very cystic, inflamed and painful. I was crying every day and not going out. Then my dermatologist started me on isotretin, which I'm still currently takin"

galden (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor prescribed me this medicine to help fight my acne. I have moderate to severe acne. I used this medicine for about two months combined with a light soap and topical benzoyl cream. I take the medicine at the same time once every day. I wash my face with the soap twice daily and use the cream at night. I can say that it worked well with me since I saw major differences. I started my acne regime on November and my face was cleared on February the next year ( a few months). I thought It was going well but I stopped my medication and my regime since my face was cleared but the acne went back although it wasn't as severe as it was before."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have suffered from Acne since I was around 9 years old (I am now nearly 23). I have started my 3rd month on Doxcycline 100mg once every morning. At the beginning of every month my face broke out with lots of whiteheads, this month has been the worse, slowly healing now but has left me with scaring. Hoping this will get better in the 3rd month as thats where people see most results. Whoever is on 50mg once a day for acne, you need to go back to your doctor/dermatoligst and up the dose, apparently 50mg won't do nothing for acne its a too lower dose. This is what my doctor told me. I have had no side effects as if yet."

HKM3 August 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on doxycycline 100mg 2 a day for just over 1 month now, my acne (which was moderate cystic acne) cleared slightly within the first two weeks. Although after about 3 weeks of being on the antibiotic, my skin broke out into the worst state it had ever been in. I had many huge pimples all over my cheeks, which took a few weeks to fade away. although I feel the antibiotic must bring out everything under your skin first, before it becomes effective, as a few days ago my skin was almost clear. I am starting to break out again slightly, but nowhere near as bad as the previous breakout. if you are starting doxycycline, you must give it time to see good results and be consistent for it to work, as I have seen great results so far."

.anonymous. July 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started this drug to help with the bumps under my skin. I would like to say it's acne but reality is the Dr. and I really had no idea. He put me on Doxy to help fight the infection. Firstly, the instructions on these meds are very unclear... it says to not take it with milk and on an empty stomach... so I did that and puked on the bus which was VERY uncomfortable and gross. So the next day I took it with food, and guess what? 15 minutes later I was puking in the bathroom at work. Next day I took it with toast and I had a painful stomach ache all day. I just can't seem to win on these meds. I went 5 days with puking every morning at work. Acne wise, my face has cleared up.. but I'm unsure if it's because of the meds or the cream."

Natsmasha (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been prescribed to take this medicine twice a day for 15 days and have really bad cystic acne. I'm about a week in and I think I'm in the purging period. All of the deep cysts in my face are becoming nodules!! I hope this goes away fast. I suggest not using many other products with this as it makes your skin super sensitive and I've been having a really red face if I use anything too harsh."

crybbboy July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking this for around a week and a half now. I'm supposed to take this for 2 months. Haven't really seen any change other than my cheeks are clearing up a little but my forehead is getting worse :("

aubs (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It started to clear up my acne after a few months of taking it, but the side effects were awful. I felt nauseous instantly afterwards and then was also sometimes sick, I couldn't sit or lie down for at least an hour afterwards and if I did I was guaranteed to be sick. I also had to make sure that I ate beforehand and didn't take the medication on an empty stomach because that would also cause sickness. The nausea was the worst part because I had to sit for half an hour feeling sick before I actually was which made it even worse. I eventually stopped taking it after about a year because my acne had completely cleared up, but then 6 months later it came back...only a temporary fix for me and the effects of it almost make it pointless"

tchar124 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Most effective drug I've taken for acne. DON'T TAKE WITHOUT A MEAL!!! ( but really thought everyone said to avoid upset stomach but it rips into the side of your stomach lining if you do this and you can get ulcers)Get really bad hormonal breakouts around the chin this cleared up immediately. Was able to get off and still have clean skin for Year after."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on doxycycline currently I've been on it for 2 months now I was prescribed for 5 months, really hasn't been working... the moment I feel like my skin is clearing it takes a turn for the worst, it's crazy... if it was my choice I'd jump on accutaine take it once and not have to worry about this acne any more"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 1, 2017