User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 440 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"Hello, in 2015 I was suffering from moderate acne. My face was full of acne & marks. I was going through depression & the result was clearly showing up on my face. Later as I came out of depression in March 2016 but my face was still showing some moderate acne. Which used to worsen sometimes. Later in August I visited dermatologist. He prescribed me doxycycline for 2 months. He even added that I should not take it for a long period of time & within 2 weeks I could see results. It worked wonderfully. My face was totally cleared up. I still suffer from mild acne but I go back to doxy dosage. Which is if I'm taking it now for 15 days then I won't take it for next 1 or 1.5 month. Just to avoid resistance. But I must say doxy is saviour."

Sunshine07013 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was suffering from major cystic acne on my cheeks, forehead and chin. Everyone started commenting on the horrible situation of my face :( I started feeling frustrated. I used to feel ashamed going outside. Then my doctor prescribed me doxycycline tablet (1/day), clyndamine gel. It took one month to start showing its effects. And believe me ..my skin started becoming real clear. Right now my chin and forehead are completely clear and cheeks are having light acne marks which are fading day by day .Now the people who used to comment on my acnes they are admiring my clear face :) :)"

Sreeparna (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am suffering from Cystic Acne & Acne Vulgaris . I used all Face washes but nothing worked. I spent a lot of money on these products but Did not get relief. Last year, I used Vibramycin tablets for 2 weeks. It worked wonder !!! My face was clear. But White heads acne came back. I don't know why.. But It is very irritating for me. I can't go out to enjoy. I can't go to park."

Sameer2309 April 19, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Hi I have suffered acne since I was 15. I am now late 20s. I would say that it is effective and one of the antibiotics that I can tolerate the most. Previous antibiotic use has always had intolerable side-effects for me. I guess everyone is different. Although I am currently suffering an outbreak I know my skin would be worse without it. I guess there is no cure from acne. I'd rather take the medication than not. Having a break from antibiotic use has meant that the outbreak is severe. Whilst on antibiotics I may have an outbreak but not as damaging."

Pop17 April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on this medication for adult cystic acne once before, about 3 years ago, for like 3 months I think and it did work for me...... but only for 6 months and then after that 6 months, it came back with a vengeance! It came back very slowly, but it came back all the same. I didn't want to go back on the mediation because I know it's not good to take it for long periods of time, but 4 months ago, I said I can't take the pain anymore, I'm going to the doc again" because no matter what acne washes I used, no matter what topical acne systems I tried, no matter what diet changes I made, NOTHING worked. At all. I'm currently back on doxy but have added topical clindamycin solution. Has sped up healing! Doxy does work."

Sufferer1985 April 14, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This product does not work...instead I got pimples all over my chest, had terrible vivid nightmares , body ache and dry skin and lips. Was taking it for 2 months. Not even the slighest improvement."

Hanciu April 12, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This antibiotic is amazing! My doctor prescribed me doxy only a week and a half ago and my face has cleared up incredibly! I decided to go on doxy due to a large random break out,(moderate acne) white heads only appearing on my yaw line and cheeks which we're turning into large pimples, apparently due to hormones, as my diet hadn't changed nor did I use any different skin care. I spent over $200 on face washes, masks, any type of recommended face product you could think of, nothing worked. I 100% support doxy. It may not be for everyone but it worked for me. Also, doxy makes your skin very dry, I woke up the next day with swollen dry eyes and had to get a cream to calm it down- THIS IS NORMAL. See your doctor is this happens to you!"

Em17 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this medication about four weeks ago for my acne. My dermatologist told me to go back in six weeks. I haven't seen any improvements and my acne has gotten worse. I was only breaking out around my jawline and now I'm getting cystic acne underneath my mouth and forehead, where I didn't even get them before. Make sure to eat before taking this pills. I took them once without eating and I was throwing up. I can't wait to see my dermatologist, and tell her to put me on accutane."

Rosaaiselaa April 2, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have had moderate acne for 6 months now and I am 22. I am currently week one on doxycycline with with topical Retin A... I didn't actually read any reviews on this before taking it. Now that I have read it, I hope I don't get the horrible purging phase and really worried about relapse after stop taking it. At the moment I haven't had any new breakouts apart from one on my chin few days ago. There is a bit dryness around my jawline in the mornings which is because of Retin A. But haven't had any side effects, plus some of my acne and acne marks have cleared. Hopefully it clears up in a month as I have graduation... I will keep updating"

Jazz 234 April 1, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Coming up on 2 months on this 100 mg twice a day. TAKE ON A FULL STOMACH. It makes me throw up if I haven't eaten food with it. My skin has progressively gotten worse. I don't think it is because of the Doxycycline, I think my body just wants to continue down the path of giving me acne. I am on it for moderate cystic acne and I am still getting cysts regularly and am now breaking out on my forehead where as before it was just on the jawline. Not sure when this is suppose to work but I look pretty darn bad. Will finish the treatment and hope for the best :("

selenatnorman (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 19 and I had mild acne, I would see a new breakout or 2 almost every 3 days. I was told by my dermatologist that it would take about 3 months to work which is true. After about 3 months I really started to see an improvement. I went about 3 more months without any breakouts, until my dermatologist told me I didn't need it anymore and I could stop it. which was a mistake, I broke out quite a bit after stopping. About a month later I went back on it, and its been about 4 weeks on it and I'm breaking out the most I have since I first ever started it!! I'm very upset and it makes me very self conscious. I'm starting to look into Accutane."

caroline c March 29, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was given doxycycline for mild persistent acne and I had a severe allergic reaction too doxycycline after 3 weeks and it was dreadful. I have learnt I am allergic too tetracycline antibiotics and they aren't a cure or long term fix for acne there just short term. But I guess everyone is different and it's worth a try before you can get referred to a dermatologist as they won't unless you've been on antibiotics."

M9945 March 28, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Doxy 200 (doxycycline): "My 13 year old daughter has been taking Doryx for 18 months. It has not done much for her. Her acne seems worse now than its ever been. She used two topical ointments; Rentin A Micro and Onexton which kept it under control, but still lots of acne on face, back shoulders with some on her chest and arms. Now, using Veltin topical with Doryx and it's the worse combination with worsening acne. My insurance will no longer cover the first two ointments. Our last resort is Isotretinoin. This was presented a year ago, but due to the enormous and serious side effects I have not allowed it. Now, I fell I need to let her try it. Overall, Doryx will bring up acne, so I don't understand the point of that. We want acne gone."

Momic March 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking doxycycline for over a year now, and this medicine works wonders! For me, I had mild/severe cystic acne on my forehead and after taking doxycycline for 3 months at 50mg a tablet once a day my forehead was cleared! BUT, once my forehead was cleared I stopped taking the medicine which was a big mistake. My cystic acne came back but 20x worse on my cheeks! My doctor started me back up on the doxycycline at 100mg a tablet morning and night. This time it took me about 6 months to see results because of the severity of my acne. So, don't expect immediate results within weeks of this medication give your skin some time! Plus, you need to eat before taking this pill trust me! Overall, no crazy side effects for me!"

jadabay March 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Used doxycycline for mild acne, was not cystic or inflamed, just white heads and lots on forehead around chin and back. As soon as I started taking this medication I broke out on my chin, cheeks and jawline worse than I ever had before. My acne on my forehead seems to have flattened and is less red, but overall my acne became worse than it ever has. I have red scars and clusters of deep, painful pimples all along the base of my cheek that I have never experienced before. Looking back, my skin was better without this medication and I wish I had never tried it. Major regrets."

karoline15 March 20, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine worked WONDERS! Within the first month of taking it I went from 1-2 new pimples a day to 1-2 pimples PER MONTH if that!! Even the old marks/scars began to fade. Love it"

Kira718292 March 20, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"3rd day of this medication and I'm having itchiness around my eyes and all over my face. "

Annaaaaaa (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Do NOT go on this drug!!! Antibiotics are NOT the cure for breakouts! The ONLY thing that works is Accutane, and it should be the ONLY thing that people try for breakouts. Doxy made my skin significantly worse! I've been on it for almost five weeks and I'm still getting new breakouts every day - and they have been taking forever to go away!!! Doxy also made my face red and super oily (and I have dry, sensitive skin!). I lost my appetite/experiences nausea on this stupid pill. Also, Doxy will do NOTHING for folliculitis. If you have folliculitis, ask your dermatologist for a topical solution. Please, take my advice, and never ever go on this!!!!"

Doxy Ruined My Skin! (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication is awesome! I have been dealing with awful hormonal acne around the mouth area and sometimes a spot or two on my cheeks for years and two weeks into this prescription my acne has completely cleared up (knock on wood). I am so pleased with my skin at the moment since it has never been so clear before especially this shortly after adding a new prescription into my regimen."

Maddi12 March 10, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My acne cleared up over a couple months, but after I finished the course, my digestive system was destroyed. For four years I struggled to figure out what was wrong with me, I was plagued by brain fog, poor memory, and low energy levels after eating certain foods. Turns out, the doxycycline decreased my gut motility, killed off a large percentage of my good bacteria, and ultimately I developed something called SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). I'm currently being treated for SIBO, but I will likely never be able to properly digest gluten or dairy again and I'm only 20 years old. Trust me when I say that taking this for acne is not worth it under any circumstance. Diet is a much better option."

Destroyed my digestive system. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 8, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Doxycycline for 2 months now and I haven't seen improvement. My acne around my mouth and chin have gotten worse. Mind you, my forehead is pretty clear. My acne has left dark spots that won't disappear. It's now painful cystic acne instead of small pimples. I am not impressed and hoped to switch medication once finished with this bottle."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 6, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had perfect skin until I was 27, so then I started using prescribed face wash and topical creams with no result. October 2015 I tried the fractional laser and it worked miracles on me, perfect flawless skin, no spots or acne.. 6 months later I started developing a hyper-pigmentation, and slowly all the acne was back and got even worse than it was.. doctor put me on Doxy 100mg/day for 4 months, I didn't see much of an improvement, acne almost gone but the dark spots didn’t, and on 4 months mark! I had a savage breakout!! Intense acne leaving marks.. I felt like a monster.. now put again on Doxy 100 and Diane 35 for 6 months.. and I'm on the 2nd week of the treatment, having a whiteheads and itching rash.. I’m really desperate.. hope it works this time.."

Anonymous2732 February 27, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Today I'm starting Doxycycline. I was prescribed it because of my cystic acne that only developed because of my Birth control I was on. I had the arm implant. The worst decision of my life. I will check back in in 2 weeks to let you know how it worked for me. Please take with food or else it will cause stomach aches."

cynmonique February 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine will hurt your stomach at first. It is the first two weeks for me and the acne has gotten got much much worse and I'm wondering when I will see improvement"

Joey B (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've always suffered from acne from a very young age I would always buy face washes every week thinking it would help and it never did. I started to give up on clearing my face.. After a while I stopped buying face scrubs and other face cleansers etc and I would buy acne cream which would make my pimples less irritated but didn't get rid of them also they would leave my skin with dry patches which would look very bad once makeup is applied. After a while my doctor prescribed me doxycycline at the start it made my face get worse but a few weeks in my face started to clear up and a few months in my face was bump free.. Although the scars are still there till this day.. also I noticed my acne slightly came back once I was off the medication."

Olivia8532 February 12, 2017