User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 433 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Acne

"I took doxycycline for about eight months. It was working great and significantly cleared up my face (though not completely). My doctor took me off it because you can develop a resistance to it over time and it also makes your skin more sensitive to sunlight (although I felt at that that point it was still working fine). Now about two months after being off it my acne has come back with a vengeance, it's almost as bad as it was before I took it. It is soul crushing to look into the mirror and see your skin become worse again. Before you take it it is important to realize it is only a temporary fix and to be prepared for it to come back after you stop taking it. O acne thou hell o' a' diseases"

Allnicknamesareinuse January 16, 2017

"I used doxycycline (200mg) for about 19 months for my rosacea. Discontinued it about 3 wks ago. Coming off the medication is wreaking havoc on my skin. My main issue w/ rosacea was the facial redness, not acne, but the doctor never really explained that doxycycline might not help the former, and I was so desperate to find a "miracle drug" that I failed to ask the right questions or do the right research -- my fault. Now I'm dealing with acne, and it's absolutely disheartening. My cheeks forehead look worse than ever. Not to mention weight gain and feelings of pressure in my head. I would not recommend this medication. I regret taking it. There should be a warning that discontinuing the med *WILL* result in negative effects on your skin."

amydoom (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2017

"Hi, I took Doxy for 1 month before I had to stop taking it because it gave me very bad acid reflux for a week. At first it seemed as if Doxy wasn't really doing anything, but after 1 month of taking it, it took away all my cystic acne! Very effective in my opinion but you need to give it time before it kicks in"

M239C January 11, 2017

"I was prescribed Doxycycline the summer. I had moderate to severe acne and within a month my face had almost cleared all up. It was great. I continued taking the pill for a year and a half but as I continued I realized my acne was slowly coming back even with the pill. My face had become resistant to doxycycline so I now switched to another antibiotic. My only advice to you, try it if you want to but as many others have said it's only a temporary solution."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 9, 2017

"I've been on doxycycline 3 weeks now, I've had cystic acne for 3 years now I have it under control with benzoyl peroxide. I still have a few cysts here and there so I decided to try the doxy to get rid of all of it once and for all, I've noticed my overall skin more glowy and healthier looking and I haven't had 1 cyst since getting on it but I have had several small zits in places I never usually get them like my forehead. I think that's the medicine pushing out all the bad stuff hopefully it will be 100% by the 1 month mark when I go back to the derm (I'm also using retin-a topical at night) doxy never effected my stomach or gave me any type of side effect at all."

savvvv January 8, 2017

"AMAZING BUT DON'T GO OFF OF IT IF YOU DON'T WANT YOUR ACNE TO RETURN. I had mild acne about a year and a half ago and was prescribed doxy and it completely cleared up my acne with Differin. I went from mild acne to literally perfect skin and my dark marks disappeared too (maybe the differin too). I went off of the doxy because my skin was perfectly clear, and my acne was back within a month and now my skin is an absolute disaster, moderate acne and hyperpigmentation everywhere. I completely regret going off of this pill, and am so insecure now. I just went back on doxy about 3 days ago and am hoping my skin returns to what it once was. Also doxy made my skin burn in the summer so be careful."

Anonymous January 8, 2017

"I have been on doxycycline hyclate (100 my once a day) for 3 months now and it has worked wonders for me. At first I was taking it on an empty stomach like it was recommended, but found that it gave me extreme nausea and stomach pains. I then started taking it 2 hours after my meals and my stomach pains stopped. Its taken a while for my body to get used to the medication, but after about a month my acne started to go away. At the 2 month mark all of my acne was gone. It takes time but it has worked wonders for me."

Anonymou January 3, 2017

"It works but long term it becomes a problem. Sadly the acne returned ."

Sammygirl 73 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 30, 2016

"I've been using antibiotics for acne for years now. I started off with Minocycline for 4 years until recently I switched over to Doxycycline. When I switched over to doxycycline, my face cleared up and I felt so much confidence. There were two types I used. I first used doxycycline monohydrate for a year and it stopped working for my face. Then I switch over to doxycycline hyclate. Hyclate is stronger if you have really bad acne, but I prefer you talk to your doctor about it first."

SuzyHu (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 28, 2016

"Wanted to update what I last posted at the 3 week mark. I stopped taking it a month ago after being on it for 13 months and have not had acne since!!! Fingers crossed mine may be gone for good. Although the beginning was rough going onto this medication has been one of the best decisions i have ever made. just a heads up, this medication made me get travel/air sick which is not normal for me, so I would advise going on a break from it a few days prior to flying or a long car journey."

Anonymous Kiwi (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2016

"I was just here in this website an notice that some people are complaining about breaking out with red rashes/bumps i as a kid was allergic to the CYCLINE family an couldn't take certain medications when I was younger like (Amox-Pen).im now 21 an was having a few break outs non stop. So I though I would go to the Dermatologist for some help. They prescribed me DOXYCYCLINE!!! I took them NOT thinking I was allergic to the DOXY and guess what - sure enough started to break out with the red bumps an dry rashy red feeling so be sure you are not allergic to the CYCLINE family before taking this medication!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Steve7676 December 21, 2016

"Not impressed with doxycycline at all. Been taking it for about four months now and my skin has never looked worse. I've been sunburnt terribly, gained weight, bruised more, and everywhere on my face has more pimples. I'm coming off this in a few days, can't wait."

Ffion December 19, 2016

"Ive been on doxycycline for almost about a month now and over all it did pretty well. I'm 22 years old and I've been battling acne since I was 18. I initially had pretty bad cystic acne from 18 to 20 years old. I was on 2 rounds of accutane before I got on doxy. The only real side effects that I experienced were facial redness and dryness. The acne started clearing up 2 weeks in the routine. I was 100mg twice a day going on to 50mg. For the most part the medication works just highly recommend drinking a lot of water and loading up on the sunscreen/moisturizer."

Nike945 22 year old male (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2016

"I got prescribed doxycycline hyclate 100mg, one pill everyday for 30 days for Cystic acne. I presented with acne on my chest and back, and a large cyst on my cheek. The cyst wasn't examined at all, and the derm just prescribed the doxy. I had tried every Pinterest suggestion for two weeks prior to me seeing the dermatologist, after taking doxy for 20 days I have yet to see ANY improvement. It is exactly the same as day one. It doesn't really hurt, but I have a follow up in December and I intend on trying a new method to rid myself of this curse. Don't take the doxy. It simply doesn't work."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2016

"After taking it for a month, it significantly cleared my skin with moderate but not severe acne, as well just the little bumps. For me I have to take the medication with food or else I get super nauseous. I still get some acne, but it has significantly decreased since I started taking it."

Anonymous November 24, 2016

"I've been on doxycycline for about 10 years at 100 mg, twice a day. It works great at clearing up my cystic acne that I get on my chin. About six months ago I ended up with ulcers in my stomach and my Digestive Health Specialists thought it was the doxycycline causing it. Stop taking it for 4 weeks & my acne was daily on my chin again. It's a great medicine, but hard on the stomach."

Spazot (taken for 10 years or more) November 14, 2016

"I have been on this medication for acne for one month. still see no improvement. I am 29 year old female. never had acne in my life and a year ago started getting this cystic acne. dermatologist told me will have it for life. perioral dermatitis can be a lifelong battle"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 8, 2016

"I usually had mild acne, and a few leftover acne marks. During the summer, I broke out more than usual and it got to a point were I had 3 very huge cystic pimples. A doctor recommended doxycycline. I took it for 3 months. At first, it was breaking me out (as everyone said it should), and really, it kept breaking me out until the month mark (a little after that), and by then I had SO MANY leftover acne marks. I keep thinking that I could've waited for the 3 terrible cystic pimples to fade and I would've avoided getting all the leftover marks. I'm off doxycycline for about a week now. Its going well, I'm not breaking out more than I was on the medication, just tiny zits here and there that fade quickly. Assess your risk/benefit ratio before."

helen2016 November 5, 2016

"I took doxycycline for one month exactly and it honestly did my face wonders! My doctor had it combined with 3%/5% benzamycin top gel, but I managed to finish the gel in 2 weeks or less because my break outs were bad and that would make them go away by the next day. Now the doxycycline has helped A LOT with the break outs not appearing on my face. I'm 20 years old and got the pills prescribed to be taken once a day every day for a month and now I haven't broken out since I started. I'm a girl and whenever I got my period, I would break out pretty badly, but this medication has helped A LOT with that. I will ask for a refill on both medications. Highly recommend to give them both a try."

Moonstar27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 5, 2016

"I had been having bad breakouts for about a year but after 2 months on doxycycline my skin was completely clear! i took it for 6 months. although the side effects were not good. i had been having bad headaches for about 5 moths (same timeframe as i had been taking doxycycline for) and finally went to the doctor to find out if doxycycline had affected the fluid in my brain causing swelling of the optic nerve. I was told this was a very very rare side effect of the doxycycline. did wonders for my skin tho!"

katzzz November 5, 2016

"I've been dealing with severe to moderate acne for almost 13 years now (I'm currently 23 yrs old). I've been waiting for puberty to chill out and stop breaking me out, but it hasn't so I decided to see a derm about my options. she prescribed me doxy and it worked FABULOUSLY!! I took the first pill that night, went to bed and when I woke up ALL of my acne was gone!!13 years of horrible acne and over night it was gone! for 3 days I took it 2x a day like I was told, but I decided since it was working so well i only wanted to take it once a day considering doxy is a strong antibiotic and I didnt want my body to get such a strong dose for 2 weeks. As soon as I finsihed the acne came back, with a vengence. I'm going to look into accutane"

wappppppp (taken for less than 1 month) November 2, 2016

"I'm 60yrs old and I had a real bad break out in my face and it worked great for me.Doxycycline Monohydrate #Clear Face"

Curtjay (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2016

"I've been on it for about 6 weeks and it has been making my acne much worse. I initially went on it for cystic acne that was on my face in a select few spots, but now I am having more cystic acne and spots all over my face. There is redness underneath my skin where there was never a problem and there is a lot of scarring. I am having the worst breakout of my life and am worried I will look hideous or have a full face of make up on my 21st birthday in a couple of weeks. I keep seeing people around my college with beautiful skin and it makes me feel even worse about myself. I actually just emailed my doctor to see if I can stop taking it because it is killing my self confidence and is making my issue much much worse."

SammySamSamSamSam October 18, 2016

"I was on doxycycline for about 6 months. 100 mg twice a day. In combo w/ sprinonlactone 50mg and tretinoin gel at night. Worked like a charm for my cystic acne UNTIL I HAD AN ALLERGIC REACTION even after being on it for 6 months !!!! I was shocked but it can happen. Anyways, I wanted to share my experience most importantly because the allergies caused me to break out into Milia (bumps that actually look like little pimples or gives) all over my body, worst on my face. I researched and researched and found nothing so I'm putting this review on here incase someone else experiences this and maybe it will help you. But they gave me bactrim and a steroid to clear up the milia from the allergic reaction and it went away within a week."

M_cat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2016

"I had severe acne on my face, chest and back. My dermatologist prescribed me doxycycline and at first the medicine seemed hopeless, but with time (approximately 8 weeks) I started to see results on my face. Within 3 months my face was completely clear. Unfortunately, my face was clear for only 2 months and I began to have cystic acne again. I'm switching to Bactrim because doxycycline has stopped working and the glory was short lived."

12User12 October 15, 2016