User Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Pneumonia

Also known as: Vibramycin, Monodox, Oracea, Doryx, Doxy 100, Adoxa, Targadox, Avidoxy, Uracil, Doxy 200, Acticlate, Morgidox, Mondoxyne NL, Okebo, Doryx MPC, Doxy-D, Oraxyl, Doxy-Caps, Alodox, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT Adoxa CK LymePak …show all brand names

Doxycycline has an average rating of 6.3 out of 10 from a total of 50 ratings for the treatment of Pneumonia. 50% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 32% reported a negative effect.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

6.3/10 average rating

Compare all 175 medications used in the treatment of Pneumonia.

Reviews for Doxycycline

Bethi December 12, 2012

“Doxycyline is very responsive to pneumonia & if you follow the directions on the pamphlet you will be successful! e.g. sit up 10 mins after taking it with full glass of water, refrain from dairy, CA/MG supplements for a couple hours-let it absorb into blood stream. Take exactly every 12 hours (twice a day) even if you have to get up at 3:30 am! Drink fluids all day and rest-strictly for the 1st 4 days-no errands! Also 20 mg of prednisone 1x injection helps cough & wheeze so you can rest. When you do cough it is productive, which is good. Turn on a vaporizer 24 hrs and clean it every other day with white vinegar! You will be a Champ in 4 days. ”

rosieqweeen February 21, 2018

“What are all these bad comments towards doxycycline. First of all, taking it for 2 days???? Come on now. Take your full course. Second of all, nausea?????? It is a side effect. It is a 7 day course you should persist. I’m sure sepsis is a lot worse. Photosensitivity????? It’s not even sunny. If it is wear sun cream. I was on this medication and as a result I did not get sepsis and I did not die? My lungs did not necrose and I did not choke on my own purulent sputum? This medicine is amazing.”

Chuck · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2019

“I let cough go untreated for 4 weeks because of no insurance, didn't want to create another bill I couldn't pay, and by end of week four I started coughing up blood so went to clinic. Pneumonia diagnosis. Was given doxycycline 100 mg x2 daily for 7 days. I'm on day two and already lungs are clear. Second day had a little stomach upset but I'd not drink much water that time. That is the key...drink water, drink water and drink water. Other than that one instance, no stomach trouble at all. It's a strong antibiotic and it works great, so glad I wasn't given amoxicillin which always tears my stomach up and works nowhere near as good as this has so far. Fist time using it and I'm thoroughly impressed so far. Tough out the stomach issues if you have any, again drink that water, cannot stress enough, not only for this drug but for helping the body to expel the mucous. Not cokes, not coffee or any caffeine, it's a diuretic and will keep you dehydrated.”

Joemama · Taken for less than 1 month August 15, 2019

“Seven day prescription for doxycycline taken for community acquired pneumonia. Was as sick as I’ve ever been for a week. Started meds on a Sunday afternoon and by Monday evening I was feeling so much better, not perfect, but I was sure I was going to live after all. Prior to the meds, I wasn’t so sure. Make sure to take with food. I took it on an empty stomach one morning and dry-heaved for about 15 minutes. But I've taken it with food every other time and I haven’t even had heart burn. This antibiotic made me feel so much better so quickly.”

busymom December 24, 2019

“Thought I had a bad cold with cough and shortness of breath. After about 7 days, when I got the pain going clear thru the lung (front to back) I knew it was pneumonia (had it before). Started doxy 2 x day, also using nebulizer with albuterol solution 3 x day and emergency albuterol inhaler for night time breathing help. Better on day 3 but no further improvement until I began doxy 3 x day, Always eat 30 minutes before taking doxy or you will have stomach issues. Drink a bottle of water every two hours to help flush the crud out of your system. You will be tired for at 8-10 days after stopping doxy, but it has done its job.”

Pottsy · Taken for less than 1 month March 19, 2020

“I started a 10 day round of this antibiotic doxycycline for walking pneumonia. I am on day 7. Things to note: DO NOT TAKE ON AN EMPTY STOMACH....you will feel like it is the end of your life. I have tried every way possible to keep the nausea away and the best thing I have found is eating before you take it. Be sure to drink a full glass of water with it (8 oz should suffice) and then maybe finish whatever you were eating. The nausea will still come or in my case it did. You can have some sweats with this med too and it does make you feel crappy. No way around it. My repeat chest x-ray was this morning. I have no clue what the results are yet but I am also doing an emergency pro air albuterol inhaler at night and I did a 6 day round of prednisone. Again, and I can not stress this enough be sure to eat prior to taking. I am hopeful this med is doing its job clearing the pneumonia. I do feel better a little each day since beginning it.”

corste4021 October 23, 2008

“Used twice for Atypical Pneumonia and when all other drugs failed this one always works. I've had pneumonia twice in last year the first time for 3 months. A pulmonary specialist was called in from within the hospital and he prescribed the doxycyline and it instantly worked - in about 24 hours I felt almost normal. This time round same experience - 1st we tried my new doctor's way and then doxycycline and it worked.”

Raven October 17, 2018

“I've used doxy for 20 years. First 2 days you may feel horrible; means doxy is working. When bacteria begin die off it creates a reaction called Herxheimer's. Do NOT to take it with milk. Drink glass of water, THEN take pill, drink more water. Always talk to your pharmacist about drugs you take, food interactions. Wish you healing.”

ARTWestPhilly · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2017

“I developed pneumonia after the flu and my doctor prescribed 100mg of doxycyline twice a day for 10 days. While the medicine was effective in lessening my pneumonia symptoms, it was very difficult to live and function with the side effects. I learned what worked for me, and that was to eat an hour or two before taking the medicine. I had extreme nausea and diarrhea on days when I didn't eat enough before taking the medicine, but I only had mild nausea when I had eaten enough before. Overall, it worked for me, but if a doctor prescribes this for me again, I will ask for a different medicine. DO NOT TAKE THIS ON AN EMPTY STOMACH.”

Jay · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2020

“I had pneumonia and just finished the 7 day course of doxycycline two days ago. 48 hrs. The side effects using this with antibiotic and predizone are still effecting me. Increased heart rate, palpitations, shortness of breathe, anxiety attacks randomly (I don’t have anxiety) depression bouts where I feel sad, pressure in my head and bloating and burping. The three combined were awful with side effects. Pretty sure the pneumonia is gone... gotta deal w these side effects until the medications are out of my system. Do not take doxy if you fear side effects.”

Modigliani · Taken for less than 1 month December 19, 2015

“I had been diagnosed at a local walk-in clinic with bronchitis. The next evening, however, I developed a high fever and experienced difficulty breathing. At the Emergency department, I was then diagnosed with pneumonia. This is my third day on Doxycycline and I feel so much better! Fever is normal and my lungs are not so congested and tight-feeling. The only minor side effect I've experienced is slight nausea when taking the pills on an empty stomach. Having a little something to eat first did the trick - though no dairy!”

No mo' pneumo · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2019

“I am currently In betweeen day 2 and day 3 with Doxy which is prescribed for community-acquired pneumonia. Doing SO much better. Friday, I had a fever, couldn't sleep, was coughing every minute, and was absolutely miserable. Though I'm still taking it easy to play safe, now all I have is just the occassional cough. Doxy will give you a headache though, so make sure to eat and drink a lot of fluids with it.”

charliebaltimore2008 October 16, 2008

“I'm pretty active with very high energy levels, and woke up one morning extremely tired...went to urgent care and was told I had walking pneumonia..took doxycycline and within an hour, my energy was back..almost instantly. Amazing stuff.”

MN2018 February 17, 2018

“Had been sick with a fever on and off, cough, congestion for 2 weeks before discovering it was bacterial pneumonia. Dr prescribed doxy 100 mg twice per day. Literally better in 24 hrs after 3rd dose. I never have been so impressed with an antibiotic.”

Anonymous April 19, 2012

“The person above me mentions he takes it with an ice cream sandwich. Don't. You aren't supposed to have dairy when you take this medicine. You have to wait until its absorbed 3-4 hours later. That's what the pharmacist told me.”

Rich September 12, 2020

“I had double pneumonia when I started taking doxycycline. Took 4 or 5 days to start working. Took 2 per day for 5 days. I am 5 weeks from having it. I am still weak and my lungs still hurt's some. Still get short winded blot. How long does it last? Medicine works eat something before you take it.”

Boxo · Taken for less than 1 month March 9, 2020

“7 days on a dose of 200mg doxycycline first day and 100mg thereafter was absolutely a nightmare. Extreme fatigue and nausea, high anxiety and heart palpitations, low blood sugar probably stemming from difficulties eating and swallowing.”

jerryboydog February 9, 2017

“This medicine is foul, never felt so bad on it, nausea, throwing up, no appetite, headache, increased heart beat, cough, shortness of breath. Once this med was stopped I started to feel much better. If you are offered this DO NOT take it, you'll fell 200% worse for it”

CharmingLady March 23, 2020

“Doxycyline worked well to help with my pneumonia. On the first day when I took it on an empty stomach I felt fine but as the next few days went by I had some intense nausea, a mean headache, severe stomach pain and I even vomited water back up along with mucus. I mean it works but I mean with some of the side effects it makes you wonder is it really worth taking this specific medicine. I would seriously recommend eating when you take this medicine.”

LAndie March 10, 2016

“A few days into a one week course 100mg twice daily and symptoms have been less severe. After reading some input on dairy products with this drug. "If gastric irritation occurs, it is recommended that Doxycycline Capsules be given with food or milk. Studies indicate that the absorption of doxycycline is not notably influenced by simultaneous ingestion of food or milk."”

KennyLVN August 11, 2018

“Another visit to the doctor, I was prescribed Doxycycline 100mg 3x daily. During the office visit I was also given Rocephin and Decadron injections to aid in recovery. I pushed for steroid and antibiotic injections, because I desperately wanted to avoid a hospital stay. I'm now on day 3 of the Doxycycline and finally feel like I'm turning the corner to wellness. I've had no side effects from the Doxycycline and tolerated well. -I always finish the full course of antibiotics. I do not expect to fully recover after 2 days. -I avoid stomach upset and take med with a meal or small snack, unless otherwise instructed. -I am aware of medicinal interactions. I always check with my doctor to make sure another med I am currently prescribed will not interact adversely. -I am cautious if I have a history of antibiotic sensitivity. -I use common sense while ill and on an antibiotic. Rest, drink plenty of fluids, and report any serious side effects immediately.”

jamesidaho · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2013

“Was prescribed for pneumonia, followed directions, no missed doses, after first and second pill still felt sick, from day three on, the sick feeling was much weaker, but massively fatigued, after ten days I am more fatigued then before I started doxycycline, and still congested. Last time amoxicillin took away all symptoms in 4 days and its cheaper, with just upset stomach and nausea as symptoms.”

Gade · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2014

“I was told I had Atypical Pneumonia. After Azithromycin, it didn't completly clear up my lung. So the doctor prescribed broad spectrum - Doxycycline. This really upsets my stomach which I never experience with other antibiotics before. I had to take crackers before this medicine. Otherwise, I would throw up (did once when took with empty stomach). After 14 days, I didn't feel completely free of germ. 5 days after finished the last dose, I started with sore throat again.”

Anonymous June 27, 2010

“The bad news is this my third bout of pneumonia. My other two bouts; which were exactly 10 years apart had me hospitalized. Now 10 years later, here I go again. The doctor, the nurse, and the pharmacist were adamant regarding what not to take with it and how to take it. I'm just starting out, and I'm on my second dose. I'll have to admit, I feel much better than I did two days ago. I've been taking mine with an ice cream sandwich bar. ”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 26, 2020

“Been having doxycycline for a chest infection unclear what type. Two capsules on the first day and 1 a day for 6 day. On my last day today, no improvements as of yet. Lungs feel they could be getting thicker and harder to cough up.”

Learn more about Pneumonia