How long after stopping doxycycline can I drink alcohol?
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 22, 2020.
I'm taking 100mg twice daily for 4 days. I stop on Wednesday and I am going on vacation on Friday. Will it be safe to drink about 48 hours after finishing the medication?
Yes, it will be safe for you to drink alcohol 48 hours after stopping doxycycline.
In fact you can even drink alcohol while you are taking the doxycycline. The alcohol will not stop antibiotic from working and you shouldn't experience any nasty effects.
Some health professionals will recommend you avoid alcohol whilst you are taking antibiotics for an infection to give your body the best chance possible to fight the infection.
There are certain antibiotics where alcohol must be avoided such as Metronidazole, Tinidazole and Bactrim because the combination may result in a severe reaction.
Drinking any amount of alcohol with these medications can result in side effects such as flushing, headache, nausea and vomiting, and rapid heart rate.
There are no such side effects issues when alcohol is taken with doxycycline.
For a list of antibiotics that have significant interactions with alcohol see the table here: www.drugs.com/article/antibiotics-and-alcohol.html
Related Medical Questions
- What is doxycycline hyclate used for?
- What are the best antibiotics for pneumonia?
- What is the best antibiotic to treat a sinus infection?
- Can I take doxycycline hyclate for strep throat?
- How long does doxycycline stay in your body after you finish your prescribed amount?
- Can I take doxycycline if I am allergic to penicillin?
- Can taking doxycycline for acne worsen my skin?
- Can you smoke cigarettes or marijuana while on doxycycline hyclate 100mg?
- Is doxycycline hydrochloride 100mg a sulfa based drug?
- Will it be harmful to take doxycycline with iron supplements?
- Doxycycline Information for Consumers
- Doxycycline Information for Healthcare Professionals (includes dosage details)
- Side Effects of Doxycycline (detailed)
Related Support Groups
- Doxycycline (105 questions, 223 members)