User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, ...show all 26 brand names

Learn more about Doxycycline.

Doxycycline Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 860 medications used in the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

"Amoxicillin was taking long time to clear the chest/throat infection so doctor swapped to doxycycline. Within 2 days noticeable difference infection already clearing but felt exhausted, spaced out then had quite a startling amount of blood in my stools. Was told by doctor to stop taking immediately "

CB11 March 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Seemed to have no effect on my URTI. No sickness from this antibiotic but I experience head pressure."

NikandDee March 11, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had an upper respiratory infection. It worked in clearing things up, but I experienced many side effects which included nausea, dizziness, lightheaded, pressure in the head and vomiting every time I took my prescription. I took my prescriptions with food and water and followed directions by the book. It seems to have many benefits but some of the side effects are not fun to say the."

Old Greg March 2, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Given doxycycline 3 days ago. Nausea straight away got worse 3days in and bad stomach pain. Severe nausea. Coating on teeth etc etc . Will never take again"

fishman in sunderland (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Prescribed these 4 days ago.Sickness on 1st day then dizziness 2nd day. Symptoms of chest infection improved by day 4.First prescibed amoxycillin which didn't help."

D.L (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First day I started these I had to take two. 20 mins later I was sick 5 times in a row! Took another one today and feel great it's been 2 hours and no sickness yet :-)"

Sezza January 24, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking this and am now three days in. I was first given a course of amoxicillin. It didn't clear my chest or my sinuses.i then phoned 111(uk) and their out of hours doctor prescribed me with doxycycline. Immediately the tension in my head was alleviated and the pain in my sinuses are gone. Stupidly this morning I took my tablet on time and went back to sleep please don't do this. I ish I saw these testimonies but I have now and won't make the same mistake. Other than that the medicine is good and I believe I should have been prescribed this first and not any other wishy washy antibiotics."

sonji (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm a smoker(20 a day roughly) got given 100mg to be taken twice on the first day and one every other on a seven day course. I was actually originally given this for a STI not a chest infection that I didn't really notice I had, however the second day of taking thought I was almost dying with flu symptoms and a terrible cough but stuck at it with plenty of good food and water. The second night when the coughing was worst got hardly any sleep and shivered plus sweating and had loads of blankets on etc. Third day coughing was still there but not even half as bad and just got better and better day by day, cleared my lungs and can breathe amazing now and STI gone did make my gums a bit sour and felt a slight burning sensation in the lungs."

Rbfishingmad March 20, 2016

40 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been put on these tabs for chest infection do they work as I have had 7 days amoxicillian and never worked"

whisp March 13, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Doxy 100 (doxycycline): "I've been taking 100 mg of Doxycycline twice a day for 8 days now and I feel worse than when I started. Now in addition to the upper respiratory infection, I have terrible vertigo (side effect of Doxycycline)."

JulieP757 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

27 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Developed bronchial infection couple of days into a cold. Tried usual cold remedies, but was feeling worse. Got up enough strength to drive over to my primary physician who is also a pulmonary specialist. I wanted chest x-ray as I had double-pneumonia years ago, was hospitalized, very ill, so ill they brought priest in for my last rites. My physician prescribed 100 mgs doxycycline 2 x daily, told me to take it with food if I felt nauseous. First 2 days I was ok; took it with 8 oz. water as directed, ate some bread with it, waited to eat my full meal, stayed off dairy. Third day nausea, dizziness began, head felt like vice grips were squeezing it. Into day 4 now, still same side effects, but med is breaking up and clearing out infection."

NYGal415 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Doryx (doxycycline): "Made me nauseated."

Anonymous December 16, 2015

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I went to the doctors on Monday with a chest infection and he prescribed me with doxycycline and I told him that I have asthma. On day 3 and had to go back to get different antibotics due to the severe chest pain which stopped me from eating and drinking. Doctor switched me to amoxicillian for a week. On the other hand it seems my chest infection is starting to clear up. Wouldn't take again unless necessary"

Toby1106 May 1, 2015

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Fought off a sinus infection that went into my chest and turned into bronchitis. I absolutely hate taking antibiotics, but after a couple months with a bad cough, which was actually starting to go away, I developed pleurisy. I had decided I would have to go see the Doc. He prescribed me this and an anti-inflammatory. It started working on the second day and by day seven it was gone. I did not have any side effects. I had never taken this before, so might be why it worked so fast because I thought the pain was going to kill me."

23450trf87wfto3iquhy4 (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2015

50 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Into my fourth doze (100mg) took it with cold tea and shortly after felt sick for a while. I previously took it with a large glass of water and along with a meal had no symptoms. Do what the notes tell you to do take with a meal and don't lie down but keep active and all will be fine."

Donaldsmithy March 26, 2015

37 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Worked great for my upper respiratory infection. My doctor gave me a prescription of Zofran and I took that first and waited about ten minutes before taking the antibiotic. It solved the nausea/vomiting side effect."

Sly1971 January 20, 2015

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been taking Doxycycline for a few days now for bronchitis/pneumonia. I take it twice a day. The dose in the morning makes me nauseous and I vomited once. Other than the extreme list of interactions with food and other medications, I would take it again for my illness. It's potent and so far seems to be clearing up my lungs and sinuses!"

LisaK1971 October 13, 2014

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"The medicine works but comes with a price of bad side effects. Severe nausea and my gums ached really bad for some reason. The nausea I only had when I would take in the morning on an empty stomach and lasted for about an hour or two after that I would be fine. At night before bed no problems. Took about 3 days before I started feeling better."

Labsonqu December 12, 2013

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After being on Doxycycline for 4 days my lungs were clearing up from the upper respiratory infection, but also started getting the severe nausea and vomitting. I followed the directions to the latter. I had to call my doctor & get switched to a different medicine."

CabinMan April 6, 2013

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Doxycycline made me extrememely ill with constant head pains. I was not able to sleep because of the inability to lay my head down."

Anonymous January 11, 2011

35 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Doryx (doxycycline): "Great for COPD patients."

v_crutchfield March 3, 2010

107 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on Doxy for about four days, and the nausea is horrible. Today I had to leave my final exam because I was afraid I'd vomit. It's been that way since the first time I took it. I tried not eating with it, since that's what the bottle instructs, but the nausea isn't so bad if I eat. I have noticed improvements though. I'd had a bad respiratory infection for months but didn't know what it was. Finally got diagnosed and got this, and now I don't feel like death, but I do have a horrible headache. Didn't realize it could have been a side effect of it, but that makes sense now. Basically, it's a good cure for the respiratory infection, but the side effects are bad. On a side note, it'll be cool to see what it does with my mild acne."

Denise P December 12, 2009

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This antibotic worked great. It cleared my lungs that was suffering for two years, as a result of getting a infection off a breathing test machine. Took other antibiotic only add a prolong and other things to it then it got so bad the Veteran Admin put me on the doxycycline. A drug that I will always request for Bone, lung, and other conditions. "

dinman October 28, 2009