User Reviews for Doxycycline

Also known as: Acticlate, Adoxa, Adoxa CK, Adoxa Pak, Adoxa TT, Alodox, Avidoxy, Doryx, Doryx MPC, Doxy 100, Doxy 200, Doxy-Caps, Doxy-D, Doxy-Lemmon, Mondoxyne NL, Monodox, Morgidox, NicAzel Doxy, Ocudox, Oracea, Oraxyl, Periostat, Targadox, Uracil, Vibra-Tabs, Vibramycin …show all brand names

Doxycycline Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 776 medications used in the treatment of Upper Respiratory Tract Infection.

Reviews for Doxycycline to treat Upper Respiratory Tract Infection

"Amoxicillin wasn't working, -- my symptoms-- Heavy browny, green sinus mucus infection, watering eyes, bad cough, and constantly clearing my throat. Told I was on the brink of bronchitis. Doxycycline saved me from getting worse. Doctor said not to take a tablet till 2 hours after eating, and then to take with 16 oz of water minimum and 2 dramamine pills. I ate a light breakfast and 2 hours later at 10 am took 1 pill, forced myself to drink 16oz of water and took two dramine pills. I did feel warm and kept to light activity, I did notices some reduced coughing by about 9pm. Next morning I did the same and took additonal pill about 9pm before bed. My mucus was noticeably lighter and yellow in color the following morning. On day 4 my mucus was clear almost and I wasn't coughing half as bad. By day seven mucus was salty, by the evening it was gone. Moral of the story, the Doc said this is strong medicine, not like regular amox."

JonathanW May 6, 2018

"Have taken antibiotics and this is the only one that makes me feel nauseous.I take with food because otherwise I couldn’t handle it .Two tablets a day until finished. On my forms from the pharmacy it said nothing about avoiding dairy products!!.Will persevere."

Wabbitt (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2018

"For the last 3 years I've gone to all the specialists for allergy asthma and ENT, numerous inhalers ,nasal sprays ,prednisone. Finally took my bag of meds into asthma doc. Breathing capacity lower that when this all started! After blowing up and gaining 20 lbs, I told her I was all done poisoning myself! Next visit I saw a N. P. , she gave me 2 weeks twice daily on Doxy, and Alkalol nasal rinse (NOT alcohol). Initially, less cough, clean nasal passages, better breathing at day 3. Wow! Finally! It's working Had the hives on my neck and chest. I'll deal with this for 11 more days because this was the magic pill! I treated my itchy chest (occupation, Esthetician),and today is day 14. Now wait to hopefully be rid of hives. I would do it all again to be rid of that cough and that gross clogged nose! That's Alkalol, NOT ALCOHOL!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 30, 2018

"Had sinusitis and was Prescribed Doxy 100 MG every 12 hours for 7 days. After first 2 doses started shaking and having tremors. Was up all night and couldn't sleep. Day 2 I grudgingly took dose #3 in the morning, and couldn't stop shaking. Dr switched me to Augmentim 875mg twice a day for 14 days.."

Sinusitis40 (taken for less than 1 month) February 25, 2018

"Reading most of these user reviews it seems I'm the only one not suffering from side-effects. I've taken doxy after tick-bites about 4 times in my 52 years on Earth. 2 of those times were preventative, the other 2 times I already was infected (Erythema migrans was clearly visible). I can't say enough good about this antibiotic. You just have to not take it on an empty stomach. The negative reviews to me seem like whining, and blaming doxy for something it is not even responsible for. I've decided to take it this week (in 2018) when I was coughing for 2 weeks and had flu-like symptoms even after having been vaccinated against flu. This worked wonders. I had only taken 2 x 100 mg doxy, and the entire thing was over the next day. This is an absolute killer antibiotic. Try to avoid direct sunlight up to a week after you've taken it, or your skin will burn. Highly recommend this drug for lots of bacterial infections."

jultus (taken for less than 1 month) February 10, 2018

"This is a hard core drug. Side effects can be severe, so report them to your doctor immediately. The worst of it for me was the secondary yeast infection. Drink a lot of water, take with food if you can."

C PA (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2018

"Began a course of doxycycline when as a good patient with an upper respiratory tract infection I had adverse side effects to clarithomycine. 3rd day of taking I still feel really ill, I have a burning sensation in my upper lungs, very weak and if I eat within 5 minutes I feel really uncomfortable and abnormal, increase in shortness of breath and as if the food and the drug combined are affecting my blood, shakes throughout."

Lyndarcadia (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 27, 2017

"Started a 7 day course which ended 7 days ago and apart from bad stomach cramps my symptoms as of today 11/07/17 are as bad as ever, no benefit to me at all."

con63 July 11, 2017

"Doxycycline treats bacteria build-up in the respiratory area. The burning of this drug is only attacking the bacteria build-up, which means it's working. As with any drug wait 3 to 4 hours before continuing the second dose; after taking Doxycycline drink plenty water, and wait 20 to 30 minutes before eating, and resume drinking water. On the second day only take Doxycycline once a day and follow above directions. Avoid sugar, salt, dairy products, brain cereal, and acidic foods. Soup and fruit that are non acidic is great. Your welcomed to look up your own foods. Bon Appetit"

Cassie123 (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2017

"I am unsure how effective this medication is because I could only tolerate it for 2 days before I told my doctor I was pulling myself off. Taking it on an empty stomach as prescribed had me vomiting within an hour and created an instant MASSIVE headache. The kind that has you pressing on part of your head to make sure your brain is still in there. I had to eat a small meal before any doses. It killed my appetite and also made me feel depressed, lethargic and apathetic. I tried to sleep through the evening doses, but would wake up with a terrible headache that would take hours to kick."

SadSinuses (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

"I took a doxycycline tablet in the evening without enough water and went to bed. The next morning I thought the pill was stuck in my throat. The next day I felt like I had heartburn. The following day the muscles in my throat were spasming and I had much pain with swallowing. I believe the pill caused esophagitis. I have extreme burning when swallowing food."

Mom of Nine (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2017

"Amoxicillin was taking long time to clear the chest/throat infection so doctor swapped to doxycycline. Within 2 days noticeable difference infection already clearing but felt exhausted, spaced out then had quite a startling amount of blood in my stools. Was told by doctor to stop taking immediately "

CB11 March 23, 2017

"Seemed to have no effect on my URTI. No sickness from this antibiotic but I experience head pressure."

NikandDee March 11, 2017

"I had an upper respiratory infection. It worked in clearing things up, but I experienced many side effects which included nausea, dizziness, lightheaded, pressure in the head and vomiting every time I took my prescription. I took my prescriptions with food and water and followed directions by the book. It seems to have many benefits but some of the side effects are not fun to say the."

Old Greg March 2, 2017

"Given doxycycline 3 days ago. Nausea straight away got worse 3days in and bad stomach pain. Severe nausea. Coating on teeth etc etc . Will never take again"

fishman in sunderland (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2017

"Prescribed these 4 days ago.Sickness on 1st day then dizziness 2nd day. Symptoms of chest infection improved by day 4.First prescibed amoxycillin which didn't help."

D.L (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2017

"First day I started these I had to take two. 20 mins later I was sick 5 times in a row! Took another one today and feel great it's been 2 hours and no sickness yet :-)"

Sezza January 24, 2017

"I started taking this and am now three days in. I was first given a course of amoxicillin. It didn't clear my chest or my sinuses.i then phoned 111(uk) and their out of hours doctor prescribed me with doxycycline. Immediately the tension in my head was alleviated and the pain in my sinuses are gone. Stupidly this morning I took my tablet on time and went back to sleep please don't do this. I ish I saw these testimonies but I have now and won't make the same mistake. Other than that the medicine is good and I believe I should have been prescribed this first and not any other wishy washy antibiotics."

sonji (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

"I'm a smoker(20 a day roughly) got given 100mg to be taken twice on the first day and one every other on a seven day course. I was actually originally given this for a STI not a chest infection that I didn't really notice I had, however the second day of taking thought I was almost dying with flu symptoms and a terrible cough but stuck at it with plenty of good food and water. The second night when the coughing was worst got hardly any sleep and shivered plus sweating and had loads of blankets on etc. Third day coughing was still there but not even half as bad and just got better and better day by day, cleared my lungs and can breathe amazing now and STI gone did make my gums a bit sour and felt a slight burning sensation in the lungs."

Rbfishingmad March 20, 2016

"I've been put on these tabs for chest infection do they work as I have had 7 days amoxicillian and never worked"

whisp March 13, 2016

Doxy 100 (doxycycline): "I've been taking 100 mg of Doxycycline twice a day for 8 days now and I feel worse than when I started. Now in addition to the upper respiratory infection, I have terrible vertigo (side effect of Doxycycline)."

JulieP757 (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

"Developed bronchial infection couple of days into a cold. Tried usual cold remedies, but was feeling worse. Got up enough strength to drive over to my primary physician who is also a pulmonary specialist. I wanted chest x-ray as I had double-pneumonia years ago, was hospitalized, very ill, so ill they brought priest in for my last rites. My physician prescribed 100 mgs doxycycline 2 x daily, told me to take it with food if I felt nauseous. First 2 days I was ok; took it with 8 oz. water as directed, ate some bread with it, waited to eat my full meal, stayed off dairy. Third day nausea, dizziness began, head felt like vice grips were squeezing it. Into day 4 now, still same side effects, but med is breaking up and clearing out infection."

NYGal415 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

Doryx (doxycycline): "Made me nauseated."

Anonymous December 16, 2015

"I went to the doctors on Monday with a chest infection and he prescribed me with doxycycline and I told him that I have asthma. On day 3 and had to go back to get different antibotics due to the severe chest pain which stopped me from eating and drinking. Doctor switched me to amoxicillian for a week. On the other hand it seems my chest infection is starting to clear up. Wouldn't take again unless necessary"

Toby1106 May 1, 2015

"Fought off a sinus infection that went into my chest and turned into bronchitis. I absolutely hate taking antibiotics, but after a couple months with a bad cough, which was actually starting to go away, I developed pleurisy. I had decided I would have to go see the Doc. He prescribed me this and an anti-inflammatory. It started working on the second day and by day seven it was gone. I did not have any side effects. I had never taken this before, so might be why it worked so fast because I thought the pain was going to kill me."

23450trf87wfto3iquhy4 (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2015