User Reviews for Levofloxacin to treat Urinary Tract Infection

Also known as: Levaquin

Levofloxacin has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 59 ratings for the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection. 41% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 46% reported a negative effect.

Levofloxacin Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 290 medications used in the treatment of Urinary Tract Infection.

Reviews for Levofloxacin

scholastic1500 February 22, 2013

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I was given Levaquin for a urinary tract infection after first trying Bactrim, which didn't work. I was really worried to use Levaquin because I read alot of bad reviews for it. However, the only effect I had was that I felt speedy the first day I took it. Subsequent days, I did not have this problem and I made sure to take it in the morning so it wouldn't affect my sleep. It cured my infection wonderfully, and I had no upset stomach or yeast infection after effects. Three months later, I got another urinary tract infection, and Levaquin again did the trick. I really like this antibiotic!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2020

“I want to give a positive feed back on this antibiotic . I never write reviews but I felt like it was necessary for people like me who google everything. Before taking levofloxacin antibiotic I did my research and looked up all the symptoms, side effects, and reviews. Unfortunately, they were all horrific! It took me a few days to get started on levofloxacin medication because I was so afraid of the dangerous side affects that we listed on the warning label. I called the doctor and the pharmacist regarding my concern and to ease my worries they told me I’ll be fine they prescribe it to children and young adults all the time .. there is really only one way to find out and THANKFULLY I had no side effect. ”

Sophie · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I was only taking 100mg of Levaquin 2x a day, very low dose, but since day 3 I started having tingling and weakness in legs and dizziness, but because I wasn’t warned about the black box warnings, I continued to take it, until on day 6 was taken into emergency because of loss of feeling in legs and hands. 3 months later I continue having nerve damage. The side effects are permanent and debilitating.”

Breee · Taken for less than 1 month August 5, 2014

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I am allergic to a lot of antibiotics (and always get side effects!) and get sick a lot. I used to take Z-Packs almost once a month and now I wonder why I hadn't tried Levaquin sooner! This is my 3rd time on Levaquin this year. I took it twice for my chronic ear infection with success. The first time my joints felt like I was an arthritic old lady! The 2nd time I had only some ankle and finger pain. I'm on day 1 today for a urinary tract infection and ear infection from a water park. I can feel it working and I have no joint pain.”

LaylaDusty · Taken for less than 1 month April 5, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I suffer from recurring UTI's. My doctor prescribed Levoquin. After a few days, my UTI symptoms went away. I suffer from bipolar disorder, so I can't make the direct link of the mood-related side effects to the Levoquin. The only side effects that I can link to the use of Levoquin are as follows: tiredness, exacerbation of sciatica, joint pain, feeling unsteady while walking, nausea, stomach pain, agitation, insomnia, minor depression, foggy headed, and confusion. I did not suffer the four most common side effects. All of the symptoms I experienced were tolerable. The Levoquin worked on my UTI within 3 days, and I continued the medication as prescribed. While others have suffered from worse side effects, that was not my experience.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month May 25, 2019

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “Am allergic to Penicillin. Am disabled & had multiple UTI’s. Levaquin saved my life. I’ve also been an RN for 44 years. If you need a drug like Levaquin, be sure to listen to your Doctor & take it as prescribed with plenty of water & the probiotics. If you’re not advised about this, ASK QUESTIONS. Remember, your Doctor actually works for YOU! Don’t just ask about this, ask about everything. Perhaps make a list before you see the doctor & even jot down notes while with the Dr. &/or bring someone with you. How many times have you walked out of a Doc’s office & thought “What did they say?”. Many things can cause allergic reactions. Ask your Doc & perhaps keep Benadryl in your home. P.S.: The original clear capsules have been known to dissolve quicker & get into your system faster, especially when put under your tongue. This is in no manner meant to be medical advice. Always ask your Doctor. Yours, in good health.”

Art · Taken for less than 1 month October 24, 2019

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “Less than a year ago I was a healthy athletic person had a full-time physical job. After 4 days on this medication I began to suffer side effects and quit taking it. Now my life is ruined. I can't walk I'm going blind and deaf and I live in constant pain as if somebody took a sledgehammer and pounded my whole lower body and my condition is worsening everyday . The side effects of fluoroquinolone poisoning are horrible way of slowly dying. By the way it didn't do anything for my supposed UTI. Couple days of drinking cranberry juice did the trick. Art”

Smiley · Taken for less than 1 month January 5, 2019

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “Hello I was diagnosed on Tuesday January 2, 2019 with a UTI. Never had anything like this before. I urinated on myself at least 4 times on my way to work. Two days before I was urinating every 16 minutes for two nights in a row before that. Severe pain in my lower back and cramps in my left kidney and stomach. I thought I was gonna die. I couldn't really stand or sit . I took the train to hospital and I was embarrassed cuz I soiled (wee) myself but I didn't care. I needed to know what was wrong. After seeing the doctor they prescribed me a 7 day (750 mg) pill called LEVOFLOXACIN. After taking a pill when I got home. I felt immediate relief in my back. I'm not at work for the next 7 days. I took my third tablet today. I do have constipation and I had stomach pain yesterday but I feel it's going to work. I'm still alive, worried because this has never happen to me. I'm 56 I'm healthy. I work out daily. I eat only fruits, veggies. Fish. Chicken. I pray for healing. You all deserve to feel better.”

Regret November 16, 2019

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “2015, 2x/day for 10 days for first ever UTI.Day 3, woke up very sore all over,got worse each day.Days 6&7, misery. Every single joint and tendon in my entire body felt like it had been put through a paper shredder. I couldn't even walk. It wasn't until that day that I read that it was black boxed (had never even heard of that before). I also read that if you experience any of these side effects, to stop taking it immediately. So I should've stopped on day 3 when I already felt hit by a truck. 0 warning from doctor or pharmacy. 6 months before I could lift my left arm due to the pain in my shoulder. 5 years later, and I still have severe joint pain in my knees, hips, and back. The worst is my hands, which ache so bad, which is devastating as an artist. I'm 35, yet I feel 90. This poison needs to be taken off the market, and doctors and pharmacists need to be more responsible if they do prescribe it, and at the very least, warn patients of the risks. I should've had the choice.”

LFrancine July 2, 2014

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I swear by Levaquin! It's what works for me. I spent so much money on Amoxicillen, Z-Pack etc... and it doesn't help. I have used it from a sinus infection, UTI, and pulmonary illnesses. It's the medicine of choice for me. I have never experienced any side effects or adverse reactions. I'm very compliant with taking it daily, there have been times I missed doses because they're prescribed 3-4x a day. It's fast acting and does the trick, love it. I do think about becoming resistant to Levaquin, down the road, but by that time hopefully there will be another medicine of choice that is equally as effective! Thanks.”

Sueshine · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “My mother is 84 and was given this drug for a mild UTI. After 2 doses, she became so confused she didn't know where she was or who I was. Her muscles were so weak she could not move or stand. She was paranoid and manic at times. Her potassium dropped very low. She was in the hospital 4 days. They immediately took her of it, gave her IV's and potassium. Tested her for stroke and dementia, which were negative. She is home and better but it took several weeks. Not a good drug, especially for elderly. She now takes D-Mannose 1000mg/day, 2000mg for any UTI symptoms.”

Pisser March 27, 2009

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I react to every antibiotic out there. Levaquin is the only one I can take with no side effects. This is an excellent drug and gets rid of my urinary tract infections fast, with no yeast infection after it.”

Finally January 23, 2011

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “Took Cipro and Bactrim during Chemo and Radiation. Did not work, may have been because of the Chemo and Radiation, just not sure. I am now on my 3rd of 5 day Levaquin dose and passed my AZO UTI over the counter test this morning, yea. Two months of a UTI is a bit much, although, I now know what works for future.”

Anonymous November 10, 2009

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I get urinary tract infections quite frequently, about 4 to 6 per year and I am always prescribed Levaquin. By the third dose I begin to feel better but I start getting the bad side effects, stomach upset, vomiting and diarrhea. It also makes me very fatigued.”

Anonymous November 20, 2009

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I am a 27 year old woman and was prescribed Levaquin 500mg for 7 days (by my obgyn for a suspected UTI post surgery-I had a D and C). I hardly ever have UTIs. My Levaquin, with insurance, was $55. I do not take pharmaceutical drugs regularly, but I figured since this was post surgery I should do as the doctor says. I read the drug pamphlet before taking the pill. On day 3 of taking Levaquin, I started a muscle twitching in my right middle toe. I researched reviews of this drug on the internet and stopped immediately.”

Hany V. June 11, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “This last Monday I was detected by my doctor that I have a acute Cystitis. My doctor prescribed me lavoprolaxicin Levaquin for 6 days.. My nightmare start in day 3 when I couldn't even get up from my bed.. I was sore all over my body.. I couldn't even walk.. Only I took 4 pills and I feel that my life changed to the worst for this medication.. I went to ER and they gave me fluids to at least clean a little bit my system.. I got a CT scan of my kidneys, and bladder, liver and all results were normal..If doctors know those side effects why are they still prescribing this medicine. it's poison!! I . I'm still panicked !!I have faith that everything will be normal again.. Today is my day 1without the medication.. I'm walking better.”

Anonymous May 28, 2013

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “A few hours after the first dose my arm muscles started burning like I just lifted a bunch of weights and my neck was hurting on one side but I think it was because I was so tense and worried about taking it. These symptoms lasted for about two or three more doses than went away. Took my last pill today and the only other side effects I had were headache and lightheadedness and my heart would beat faster every now and then.”

Pregasus · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2019

“Taken Levofloxacin for 5 days because of a UTI. Cleared it in 2 days, but finished the course. No side effects. Taken previously for sinus infections with no problems or interactions with my cholesterol medications. It's great for me!”

Spirit · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2020

“I was given a 500mg dose of this drug levofloxacin once per day for ten days as a precaution for possible UTI after passing a kidney stone. I had to stop after day 3. My body was shaking uncontrollably, I had so much anxiety and I was crying all the time. I had diarrhea, a burning sensation in my arms and hands, chest tightness, muscle soreness, and pressure in my head. I could not sleep at all; I had insomnia all 3 days of taking it. I do not recommend this drug to anyone and it should not be given as the first choice for treatment.”

Heather November 11, 2018

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I was prescribed 500mg Levaquin to be taken for 7 days for a UTI I developed while on a cruise. I was given this drug because I’m allergic to PCN and Cephalosporins. I read all the bad reviews but the discomfort from my UTI made me desperate for relief. About 6 hours after taking this drug I had severe pain in my lower legs. I contacted my physician at home and was told to discontinue the antibiotic immediately, that I was at serious risk of rupturing my Achilles’ tendon. I only took one pill. Unfortunately, I was on a European vacation that required a lot of walking. I am 27 years old and felt like I was 80, I could barely get around. Completely ruined my vacation. I was terrified I had permanently damaged my muscles or could injure myself and deal with a lifetime of pain. Luckily, the muscle pain went away after 4-5 days. It did take out my UTI, but I would NEVER take this again knowing the risks and side effects. There’s a reason it has a black box warning.”

kripke · Taken for less than 1 month October 30, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “Took one 250 mg tab of levofloxacin at 6 p.m. yesterday and am still experiencing side effects 18 hours later. My symptoms are reduced but are replaced with a 6 out of 10 on the pain scale- stomach ache. I have nausea, heart palpitations, dizziness, headache and joint aches. Ive called my doc back today to see about getting alternative med. I will not take another dose of this medication.”

recurring male uti · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2019

“I had ongoing UTI from 2000-2015. Try different antibotics but after 2-3 months I would get another on. New dr had me try levofloxacin at 750mg for 14 days and problem completely went away. 4 years later I just got my first UTI since 2015. Went on levofloxacin 500 and cleared up in 7 hours. taken 500mg for 14 days. I have never had any side effects. This is my choice for UTI SINCE I TRIED EVERYTHING ELSE!!”

Dee · Taken for less than 1 month April 26, 2018

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “Taking levaquin was absolutely horrible for me. I took 750mg per day for ten days. I was prescribed it for a UTI and kidney infection and my symptoms not only got three times worse but I developed a pink rash on my face, and my bones and muscles felt horrible like I was being stabbed with ice picks everywhere. I also had zero appetite and a hard time swallowing when forcing myself to eat. I think it's safe to say I'm having those side effects. Hopefully you all have better luck with it!”

Ati · Taken for less than 1 month December 21, 2019

“My questionable doctor prescribed levofloxacin for my UTI. He didn't even ask what kind of problems I have (I have inborn heart condition). After taking my first pill, I felt as if there is a stone in my stomach also nausea a bit. Next day I had diarrhea and thought that maybe I got cold so I took imodium. After 7 days, I had severe diarrhea (5 times) my blood pressure (systolic 50) dropped suddenly and I fainted in the bathroom. My husband took me to hospital they stabilized my pressure also did an enema. Now one more week past and I cannot eat any normal things. My stomach burns whenever I eat something. I have occasional heartaches and that Dr doesn't even answer my phone calls. And my UTI isn't treated.So nice job this medicine made me sicker than I had already been.”

born2win · Taken for less than 1 month December 18, 2019

“I have never had any problems with other antibiotics but this one was so bad. I became so dizzy and I almost felt like I had a heart attack Please don't take this antibiotics because it is so dangerous. Shame on all those doctors prescribing this stuff.”