User Reviews for Levofloxacin to treat Bacterial Infection

Also known as: Levaquin

Levofloxacin has an average rating of 4.3 out of 10 from a total of 63 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Infection. 30% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 59% reported a negative effect.

Levofloxacin Rating Summary

4.3/10 average rating

Compare all 1055 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Levofloxacin

Elmo · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I took this drug Levaquin after several other drugs failed to cure a severe skin infection. I was told it was an antibiotic resistant infection. I was put on a 500mg dose for two weeks. The first night, I had the most severe body cramps I had ever experienced in my life. They went from my neck to my toes and diagonally across my body. I thought I was going to die or that I would be better off dead it was that severe. I started to have other symptoms like severe pain in my wrists, ankles and tendons. By the end of the first week I could no longer walk unassisted. I couldn't even rest my hands on a shopping cart because of the severe pain it caused in my wrists. The Levaquin side effects lasted almost a year - I was incapacitated for almost a year before I could walk again.”

Foxhound21 March 16, 2020

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “Started on generic levaquin for testicular pain that didn't respond to other treatments. 500mg 1x a day for 10 days. Felt a little off the first 3 days but manageable. By day 4 and 5 I was having chest pain, left arm numbness, and severe panic attacks. Ended up in the ER. They told me it was the levaquin but to keep taking it. After getting home I continued to have unprovoked panic attacks and wasn't able to regulate my body temp. Today is supposed to be day 6 but I'm not taking this rubbish anymore. It may be helping the testicle pain (I'm taking it for Epididymitis) but I'd rather be in pain than feel how I feel now. I'm 31 and feel like I'm 70. Gonna keep drinking fluids and hope for the best. Hopefully no lasting damage from this medicine. I'm sure it works good but I really wish my doctor had warned me about what could happen.”

DJ · Taken for less than 1 month May 12, 2020

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “They gave this to my father in the hospital for an infection he didn't really have. The culture came back negative. Within about 3 doses, he went from being an athletic person that walked a mile every day and did his own lawn work to a person that needed help getting up to go to the bathroom. It took years of physical therapy so that he could walk and now uses a walker. He never did completely recover. Levaquin and Cipro are both very dangerous drugs. The FDA nearly banned it but opted to put a warning on the label instead. If your doctor tries to give levaquin to you, ask for something else. Its that bad.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month January 6, 2020

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “Only gave a 1 rating because I couldn't rate it a "0"! One pill was all I needed to be convinced that I had legal rights to sue the Doctor for attempted murder by prescribing this lethal drug. I usually have a lung infection once a year, and they usually give me Cephalexin and it clears up in 5-7 days. But this drug, Levaquin, is so bad. After just one dose, my entire body ached, my fingers and toes locked up, and I had the jitters all night long, and had to detox with milk thistle and TMG. I'm seriously thinking about sueing! My advice, "Don't Take It!!!" or you will have tendon, liver, kidney and nerve problems for the rest of your life, it can also cause death.”

Pam · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2020

“I had been on the Levofloxacin 750mg for 7 days and on day 3 I noticed my knees swelled up and I couldn't kneel because it felt like I was on glass. My whole body ended up in a lot of pain. I've been of the meds for 11 days and still have pain in all my joints especially my hands. I get chills and like hot flashes. Has anyone had blood work down with any thing show up? What do the doctors say when you tell them how your body feels?”

Anonymous October 23, 2020

“I’m now past month 6 of recovery from Levofloxacin. I took 9 pills of that awful antibiotic for a suspicion of a bacterial infection. In the first two months, I got all the side effects on the menu: neuropathy (hands, legs and face feel like they are burning), tingling in my feet, constant headache and tingling in head, depression (crying and suicidal thoughts for most of the day), joint pain (specially my knees), bladder control issues, penile dysfunction (can’t ejaculate at all). I saw 10's of doctors during that period; neurologists, urologists, Infectious disease doctors, Rheumatologists .. etc. All offer nothing but sympathy and NSAIDs (which I never took). DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG levofloxacin .. IT WILL BE THE WORST DECISION IN YOUR LIFE”

Pete · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2018

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I took 1 pill of 500mg Levaquin for an epidydimitis, about 2 hours later I was experiencing a lot of side effects such as anxiety, fast heart rate, heart palpitations, muscle spasms, dizziness and insomnia. The next few days I experienced major tendon pain and muscle spasms/pain that I have never had before. Instead of Levaquin I was prescribed Bactrim..... hopefully this antibiotic does the trick without destroying my body in the process. It’s honestly a shot in the dark with all of the antibiotics on the market which is truly a disappointment and shame. You never know whether the side effects from the antibiotic might be worse than the actual disease/infection it’s intended to treat. Just shows how messed up America’s healthcare system really is... I hope you all never have to take an antibiotic again! I know there will be way better treatments within the next 10 years.”

Leslie86 September 20, 2015

“I'm currently taking this for an ear infection and it seem to be working fine. My ear isn't swollen or hurting any longer and I can hear out of my ear again. It's day 4 of my 10 day supply. I still feel a little blockage so I can tell that I not fully healed yet. I'm taking this along with some medicated ear drops. I haven't experienced any side effect at all. The reviews about this had me scared but I think drugs work with little to no side effects when you have a healthy diet so that's why I haven't experienced anything. I say this because anytime I have to take a drug for something I look up the reviews and they are horrid but somehow I never have side effects.”

T-Roger · Taken for less than 1 month December 26, 2019

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “This drugs did rid my body of an infection in my blood. However, tingling in my feet became complete numbness below my ankle bone when I finished 10 days of pills. This became a big deal as years went on. Without the feedback from my nerves, my feet developed sores, bones in my feet broke & healed incorrectly because I did know anything was wrong, my balance has gotten worse. This complete nerve death/neuropathy developed into Charcot foot and my feet started collapsing and are becoming very deformed. Levaquin is one of the worst things that ever happened to me.”

larrybydesign February 8, 2011

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “This, most of the time, is the only antibiotic that works for me. I get bronchitis and sinus infections almost every year. I get no side effects from Levaquin. If you do, discontinue use and call your doctor. I am allergic to penicillin, so I am limited to which antibiotics I can take.”

Tammy · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2019

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I have used even requested it for UTI and Upper Respiratory infections it has been my go to drugfrom my ENT doctor prescribed it before there was a generic. I have never suffered any side effects an have always gotten well. I use it once a year my usual yearly infection.”

Steelergal33 June 4, 2015

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “i have been suffering with a sinus infection for over 2 months. I was on Bactrin for 14 days , Predisone for 10days which is a steroid which to allergy medicine used OTC sinus medicine then finally was given this med. After only one dose my sinus ,ear pain & sore throat cause by post nasal drip began to disappear. I did experience some coughing the first time Ilaid down but guess what the mucus was not longer greenishyellow draining it was super dark green. That was one serious infection! Tried & true believe me it worked for me. I had laryngitis for 2 months and two days after this medication my voice is back:) two thumbs up”

colleeenie November 20, 2010

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I was afraid to take the medication. I read so much about side effects, when one is older (76) but after a blood test my Doctor told me this was the only one that would work. so I took it, and I am glad I did. It worked wonders and no side effects. If you have to take it I would say don't worry.”

BP72 July 28, 2014

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “Took 500 mgs once a day for a severe sinus infection. By day 3 my nasal passages opened up, sinus pressure and pain eased up. On day 5 I felt 90% better. Infection gone by day 8. Only side effect was I slept alot but that could be because I was sick.”

CaptianK · Taken for less than 1 month January 25, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “If you live, for decades after taking levaquin, you will experience multiple tendon ruptures, in your arms, shoulders, legs and achillies tendons. All your muscles will forever be weak and your reflexes slow. Do not take, under any circumstances, unless you want to destroy your health.”

Leah · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 31, 2020

“Due to a sudden onset of extreme bacterial infection [discovered whilst the surgeon did a knee replacement], I was put on TAVANIC 750mg as well as Rimactane 300mg per day. It was decided upon these two meds after blood histology of the infection. I have taken both antibiotics for the past 3 months [my infection rate is normal the past month] but decided to stop today, although I need to go for another infection marker blood test the 12th Nov. 2020. I cannot have a life on these medications and it seems the Tavanic is really hard on my body - every dire side effect is known to me and my body! I cannot recognise the real me inside this old lady's body and brain!”

catsroses November 17, 2019

“10 days 750mg Rx, infected toe. they took sultures this was third visit to ER after seeing doctors 4xs. 3rd day of taking this drug I woke up with my Left shoulder hurting. I thought I slept wrong. DR kept saying IT'S JUST IN LEGS NOT ARMS OR SHOULDERS. But I could not lift my arm. It's been over 2 months and even though it seem to go away and I got better it reappeared a month ago and I asked another doctor for physical therapy. I have been in PT, and the therapist asked if doctor wrote it up as from this medicine. No he mention he was sure it was a pinched nerve. It is not. It worse than in the beginning and I am afraid it is never going to be better. I am in my 60's TOO YOUNG to have my arm not working properly from taking a medicine. I have not said a word to anyone about seeing "things" since taking this drug. I glance up and see people that are NOT THERE. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEA HOW THAT FEELS? then they disappear. IT WAS STAPH infection in the end.”

Elliebeth · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 25, 2019

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “This! I have severe reactions, side effects and allergies to almost every antibiotic. I was given this a couple years ago for my frequent sinus infections and bronchitis and have used it ever since. Currently taking it for a UTI and I felt sooo much better after only 1 dose. Its been a lifesaver for me and I can't swallow pills so it comes in liquid too! I take low doses spread out and that seems to help with side effects along with drinking lots of water and following the eating rules (1 hour before food or 2 hours after food). Only taking 2.5ml once a day right now is doing the job!”

drbob · Taken for less than 1 month July 23, 2020

“I was aware of all the possible side effects but I took levaquin on the advice of a nurse practitioner who filled in for my pulmonary specialist. I have bronchiectasis and COPD for many years and recently developed new symptoms. Sputum culture revealed pseudomonas, the drug of choice being one of the floxin family. It cleared up all the pulmonary symptoms in several days but I developed anxiety, thrush in my mouth, loss of appetite and muscle aches and pains in various joints. I continued the drug for 5 days (750 mgm) in spite of side effects. Most have decreased but I still have pains in my shoulders. I'm an exercise fanatic but I.m afraid to work out because of possibility of a ruptured tendon. I'm 85 years old.”

Bacterial or Sinus Infection Relief November 21, 2010

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “Levaquin knocked my bacterial or sinus infection out in 20 days. I was having headaches every morning for months and not sleeping well. This really stopped my infection. I could tell that the infection was busting up because my headaches stopped and my sleep improved significantly. The headaches were like something squeezing on my brain that would not allow me to think well most of the day. I was not sleeping well at night and tired most of the day. This made all the difference and has put me back to normal. There is a tremendous difference in my daily work, alert, awake, and sleeping performance after the treatment cleared up my infection. ”

mewsician · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2012

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “I was prescribed 500 mg x 1/day for 7 days for a throat infection yesterday. Two hours after taking Levaquin, I went to bed, and immediately upon lying down the ends of all my toes went numb. An hour later I had extremely rapid heart beat and sweating, and couldn't sleep. Today, my throat and the rest of my body are significantly better, but my toes are still half numb. It's the weekend, so I called the pharmacist, she advised me to stop taking the medicine and go to my doctor on Monday.”

MattyIce2839 May 21, 2021

“Day 3 of taking this Levofloxacin and I must say this worst drug I’ve ever had to take. If I didn’t have an S.Maltophilia bacteria growing in my nose I would NEVER take this medication. Unfortunately this or Bactrim were my only options! Constant headache, worst anxiety you could imagine, and my heart feels like it’s going to explode after taking it each day. Blood pressure and pulse have been through the roof since starting these pills! Constant headache and back pain as well.If you don’t absolutely have to take Levofloxacin DO NOT!!!”

Smiley · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2020

Levaquin (levofloxacin): “My legs look like they were beaten with a baseball bat from the ankles and halfway up my calves and I am in pain most of the time since this antibiotic (Levaquin) that was put into my body by IV in my arm. The doctor who admitted me ordered a different antibiotic Ceftriaxone and it was working and; I don't even know the doctor who changed the order, and was never introduced or suggested that there would be a change. I felt like they really did not care whether I lived or died because of the way I was treated while in the hospital. They treat animals better than I was treated. Admitted on the 11th and discharged on the 15th at 12:00 Midnight. Who discharges a patient from a hospital in the middle of the night! If I had acquired this information that I was able to acquire before going there, I would have gone somewhere else! This hospital has a "F" RATING with the BBB. And horrible customer reviews! And the got paid!”

Draya May 4, 2020

“I already suffer with anxiety but these pills made it 10 times worse, all I thought the whole time is “am I going to die” “ I feel like I’m dying” so In other words it gave me NEGATIVE thoughts which is no good. Day 6 was the last one I forced myself to take because I didn’t wanna be taking them for nothing. I still continued to have back pain, abdominal discomfort, headaches, TENSION headaches, dizzy ness, and ribs felt extra heavy or I don’t know how to describe it. This back pain and rib pain lasted 2 weeks after I stopped. Now it’s been 3 weeks and I felt my leg feeling tight, but it went away. Now I feel pain in my arms coming and going. I also had lower back pain AND higher back pain. My heart rate is going up and down. I have dizziness also. I didn’t know this pills would do all this I’m 20 years old and I’m a female. Everyday is a new symptom even though I’m not on it anymore.They were super expensive”

Boyet · Taken for less than 1 month May 2, 2020

“I used this medication levofloxacin for my stubborn cough. After 1 week of continuous medication i feel better and my cough gone. Every time I get a chest infection with a cough. I take 1 capsule per day for 7 days only.”