User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin to treat Prostatitis

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro I.V., Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro XR

Ciprofloxacin has an average rating of 3.9 out of 10 from a total of 73 ratings for the treatment of Prostatitis. 22% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 59% reported a negative effect.

Ciprofloxacin Rating Summary

3.9/10 average rating

Compare all 28 medications used in the treatment of Prostatitis.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 10, 2012

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Very discouraged after taking 10 days of Sulfa and 2 weeks of Doxycycline that my family doctor prescribed. Symptoms got better but never went away. Went to a Urologist and he said his first choice is definitely Cipro. Also said that Doxy is a "static" drug and WILL NOT kill the bacteria, it will only stop replication. Cipro kills it. I've also searched the web up and down for answers and almost all say it takes 4-6 weeks of taking a Cipro related drug. Finishing up week 6 of Cipro and all my symptoms are GONE and feel normal again! Going to take another week to be on the safe side. Give this time to work...it's not an overnight fix. Frustrating, but true. Also, no side effects either.”

Ken · Taken for less than 1 month March 5, 2019

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “I used Bactrim for a month for my prostatitis, but I didn't feel any better. I went to another Dr and prescribed me Cipro. It's been 5 days since I started using this medication and it seems to be working. As a side effects it gave me a diarrhea but I just ignore it, I feel much better than before.”

Ciprobad · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2020

“Please take something else and not ciprofloxacin ! Not worth it! Having to see multiple doctors for things I never had prior to taking this. Tinnitus burning, eye pain, hips, knees, tremor, sinusitis, dry eyes, fatigue”

John Q. Public · Taken for less than 1 month January 8, 2020

“Diagnosed with Mitochondrial Myopathy post Ciprofloxacin at the Mayo Clinic. Hadn't been to the Dr in almost 20 years and was Completely healthy till I took Ciprofloxacin. Completely ruined my life and cost $500,000 in Medical Bills.”

Chris M C · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2017

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “When my urologist recommended Cipro to combat my prostatitis (500mg 2x per day for 6 weeks!) I wanted to make sure long-term use was OK. So I went online....and it looked really scary! People totally slamming the drug. But I went for it anyway. Seems to have done the job I needed it to do and there are ZERO side effects. I mean ZERO. People talk about vomiting - I take the pill with or without food and not even a tiny bit of nausea. No fatigue, no aching or numbness, no appearance of tendon issues....nothing. Maybe it's just me and I know not everybody is the same but worked for me. The only reason I gave a 9 and not a 10 is because I still have a couple of days to go before I am done with the 6 week course.”

Paderman101 · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2019

“5 weeks now and no better with prostatitis. It is driving me up the wall and the pain I have is unbelievable. I'm wondering what is next. I'm taking saw palmeto and the only way I'm getting through the day is ibuprofen and codeine”

Carlos · Taken for less than 1 month April 19, 2019

“Third week with Cipro for prostatitis and I feel much better when I finished my first week Cipro, better than a month of Bactrim I was prescribed earlier. I started to do some stretches as well, hope the following three weeks of Cipro and stretches can make all my symptoms disappear.”

Panther June 13, 2019

“After 27 days of my 30 day prescribed cycle, I threw in the towel. My symptoms were not improving at all, and it was making me very emotional to say the least. There is a book out there by Milton Krisiloff called the "Anti Inflammatory Diet Revolution". Dr. Krisiloff was the personal urologist of President Reagan from 1988-2004. Dr Krisiloff says the elimination of three things: caffeine, alcohol, and hot/spicy foods will allow your prostate to heal. 90% of male patients that went to Dr. Krisiloff showed a complete reduction and elimination of symptoms, provided they stuck to the diet. I have taken it upon myself to go on an anti-inflammatory diet as well. And I have to tell you...my symptoms are improving. The burning sensation in my urine is lessening and my urges to urinate are less and less as I go. I'm hopeful that following Dr. Krisiloff's suggestions will help me. Cipro DID NOT. At all.”

EJB · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 4, 2019

“Ciprofloxacin got rid of the infection but has left me with aches & pains in shoulders, arms ,wrists, knees & heels. I took the medication for about 16 weeks Jan 18 / Apr 18 and I am still hurting in my joints named above Sept19. & looking for help.”

Worried January 12, 2020

“Was prescribed a 10 day course of cipro ( 2 x 500mg dose per day) for suspected prostatitis. It didn't clear up any of the symptoms but caused more problems. Had muscle aches (particularly in the hands after taking it). Also had anxiety and agitation while taking the medicine. The most concerning thing however is the neuropathic pain. Itching, crawling and occasional shooting sensations. These are all over the body but particularly in the feet, esp the left one. They come and go. At one point it was physically unpleasant to wear shoes although this is slightly better than it was a couple of weeks ago. 4 weeks after finishing, the stinging/itching is still present. It doesn't stop me moving working but has affected my quality of life. I have type 1 diabetes, which can cause neuropathy also. I did NOT have these symptoms prior to taking cipro, but cannot be certain if the reaction is due to the cipro on its own, or due to weakness as a result of the existing condition.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month November 6, 2020

“Ciprofloxacin is the only antibiotic that works for me but the side effects I had about 2 weeks after finishing the course. I had a lot of allergic reactions - it was like I was allergic to everything I went to lots of doctors and hospitals and the could not figure out the problem. This went on for months. I only realised that ever time I take a course of cipro this is what happens to me - it throws my immune system of balance and makes it hypersensitive to lots of different things. Beware.”

CPro · Taken for less than 1 month November 18, 2019

“Cipro has helped me many times. Yes I feel some of the side effects, but prostatitis is no picnic either. My issue with it at the moment is that I believe there is a difference from manufacturer to manufacturer. This one gives me a stomach ache in addition to not working very well. I have cipro from a diff manufacturer that seems to work better (much) with no stomach ache.”

Kay · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 22, 2020

“I was prescribed “Ciprofloxacin “ for 4 weeks due to Prostatitis 3 years ago , I was told by my gp it would give me “Diarrhea! And I had to take probiotics to soothe my stomach , I can remember having stomach cramps while taking the medication as well as nausea but it wasn’t to bad at all”

David Ako October 16, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Took this for 4 weeks I'm 46 and regularly Do some form of excersise walking etc had no noticeable side effects and after doing some research combined milking of the Prostate , 1 or two times a day for about 1 week .. five months later and all good .have had no problems since I would recommend this medication”

basa · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2019

“I was given cipro for prostatitis after two and a half weeks it was starting to work however I started to get chest pain and pain under the ribs I was on 1000mg a day of a six week course, when I told the doctor about my chest pain I was told that I had a kidney stone and the chest pain was a referred pain, I didn't buy this and my chest pain became more severe I thought I was having a heart attack, so I went to A&E who checked my heart which was OK, I stopped taking cipro and my symptoms went after three weeks, I think that the cipro had caused a problem with my esophagus which where the pain was coming from, a CT scan showed I didn't have a stone, unfortunately the prostatitis has returned and I have a constant feeling to urinate which I have to fight 24/7 . I live in the UK”

Tyler Dubinski · Taken for less than 1 month February 5, 2013

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “On my fifth day of Cipro and Flomax, age 19 with severe prostatitis. Feeling very dizzy and light headed. Anxiety attacks for 30 seconds but then go away. Hopefully by the second or third week I start to feel better!”

Coach · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2019

“I took this ciprofloxacin medication for prostatitis and less then 2 weeks later am now in a wheel chair. I have some much weakness in my legs. My Achilles tendons hurt so bad I just got out of the Dr's office and he said "this is as bad as it gets" my nerve pain through my hands and spine hurt a 10/10. Ciprofloxacin drug has ruined my life.”

Anonymous July 9, 2011

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Well I am 34 and have had prostatitis a few times. I have tried Doxy, Cipro and E-Mycin. The first time I took Cipro it gave me bad anxiety and the feeling of elevated pulse so my doctor switched me to Doxy which had helped me in the past. The Doxy has the least amount of side effects if you are taking for 3-4 weeks. Cipro is the stronger drug and probably will work better for prostatitis but the side effects if you get them are pretty brutal. The last time I took it in a ditch effort it gave me leg cramps and foot pain, so that was a red flag because of the black box warning. So I guess its back to Doxy. All drugs have side effects but if its was a life or death deal I would take the Cipro.”

gman123 May 8, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Cipro is horrible poison and it has had a negative impact on my quality of life. I took 500mg 2x day for prostatitis. On day 5 I developed severe fatigue, brain fog, neuropathy, severe anxiety, and blurred vision. My prescription was for 10 days but I stopped taking it that day. A few days later I developed Achilles tendonitis and was unable to walk for 3 weeks. Recovery has been slow, challenging and expensive; one year later (almost to the day) I am still not recovered although I am better. I learned a painful and expensive lesson: I will never ever again in my life take a fluoroqinolone antibiotic or blindly trust the judgment of an allopathic physician. The not-so-silver lining is it did nothing for my prostatitis.”

Bothersome October 11, 2018

“47 year old male been taking cipro 250mg on and off for many years as I have chronic prostatitis due to an enlarged prostate. On my second 30 day prescription taking 2 tablets per day and wondering if anyone has experienced chest discomfort as a side effect? This is new to me and find it gets worse after peeing for some reason?”

Stump May 13, 2020

“I was prescribed Cipro for a Prostate infection in 2012. I took three pills. One Friday Night, one Saturday Morning and one Saturday Night. Sunday Morning I woke with intense pain in my right achilles and right ankle. I could barely walk, and I think that if I had taken one more pill that I would have ruptured my Achilles. I was was diagnosed by an orthopeditic specialist as having acute Tendonitis in my achilles. I went through two rounds of physical therapy, and then later on that year my right shoulder began to ache. I was diagnosed with acute Tendonitis and went thru two rounds of therapy and two Cortosine injections in my shoulder. A few month later I was diagnosed with Roseacea, and my ears developed a permanent ringing. I eventually got better, but my foot occasionally hurts, and so does my shoulder. My Roseacea and ringing in my ears are still with me. I was once very active. I played in two senior softball leagues and a tournament team, but I never played again.”

Edward91 December 10, 2020

“ciprofloxacin side effects for me are- Eye floaters - Severe anxiety - Panic attacks - Irregular heartbeat - Myoclonus (muscle jerks/spasms/twitches) - Internal vibrations and tremors - Eye pressure/pain - Eye strain - Severe dry eye. - Peripheral neuropathy - Ear symptoms: Aural fullness, feelings of electric shocks/stinging/burning/liquid/cooling sensations deep in the inner ear - Eardrum flutter and tightness - Pain hyperacusis (noxacusis) - sound-induced pain - Facial nerve/teeth/neck/shoulders pain from ears - Autophony - High frequency sound distortion - Intermittent reactive tinnitus including musical ear syndrome (auditory hallucinations) - Muscle aches in jaw, lower back, neck, pelvis, right wrist, ankles, and knees Like coming down with a rare disease overnight. Had to go back to my GP, an opthamologist, an audiologist, and soon an ENT neurotologist. Bayer, give me my health back! Give me my life back!”

Echo56 · Taken for less than 1 month May 29, 2021

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “I am 56 and have been on tamsulosin .4mg for 2 years with great results. After year one I needed two a day but did well. Out of nowhere the symptoms returned, constant feeling I had to go.. I went to my family Dr. and went over the symptoms. He was going to add propecia but did say it may take weeks to get relief. To be honest I have no idea how guys can stand that feeling and pain in the penis for months. Anyway he said try Cipro 500mg first for a week before the propecia so we know what helps. It may be prostatitis. I have read all the negative reviews of this drug and can only say how I did. I was prescribed enough for a week. Within 2 days I was back to normal. Symptom free, I go back in a few days to see the Dr and am not sure if he will extend it but if he does it will be fine by me. I have zero problems on this drug so far. Best move I made as to say Doc I really don't know how I can this for a month..When I did he also tried the Cipro..”

Ugh! March 10, 2015

“Prostatis with a 4 week round of Cipro which resulted in symptoms pretty much resolving. After being off for about a week, symptoms fully returned. Switched to Doxy for 4 weeks that did nothing. Back to Cipro for 4 weeks and at the 4th week, symptoms are again almost gone. Doctor gave another 2 weeks (total of 6) and hopefully the next 2 weeks will eliminate any bacteria left. Cipro seems to work, but need more than 4 weeks. Have had to put up with back pain and mouth/tongue soreness side effects from the prolonged use. Worth it if it does the job and side effects resolve after discontinue use.”

Brian · Taken for less than 1 month August 21, 2018

“Learn from my lesson. If you are susceptible to this drug it will hurt you, maybe maim you, and very possibly kill you. You will feel it break down the soft tissues of your body and be powerless to stop it. If you need this to save your life and nothing else will work then by all means take it. FOR ANYTHING ELSE it is simply not worth the risk. Don't assume it can't happen to you. In 42 years I've had only one drug reaction. That one reaction is literally eating the soft tissues of my body as I write this. Please be smarter than me and find an alternative.”

Learn more about Prostatitis