User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin to treat Sinusitis

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro I.V., Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro XR

Ciprofloxacin has an average rating of 6.5 out of 10 from a total of 29 ratings for the treatment of Sinusitis. 59% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 34% reported a negative effect.

Ciprofloxacin Rating Summary

6.5/10 average rating

Compare all 173 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Samantha1!!!! May 22, 2015

“I had a very bad sinus infection and was treated with Bactrim. That didn't work so my ENT prescribed Cipro. Yes, it's a strong drug but within 2 days I felt better. And let me tell you, I was very sick. I don't have any side effects yet, it's been four days (2x day). I want to recommend to folks who are looking at everyone's comments that most people who have had good experience with this drug don't post anything. So make your own decisions and don't be dissuaded from trying this drug.”

disaster no more · Taken for less than 1 month January 17, 2020

“While my heart breaks for the folks who have shared of terrible and enduring side-effects from using Cipro, for the the first time in my life I am posting on the internet, if I can help you decide. I am elderly, frail, and have had to be hospitalized from several meds, due to toxic and enduring side-effects. But we are all different; Cipro works better for me on sinus & UT infections than ANY other med. Relief in as little as 4 hours from severe pain. For me, it is great”

SallySinus July 30, 2018

“Cipro is a godsend, it's the only antibiotic that works for the wicked sinus infection I get. I tolerate it extremely well, drink plenty of water while taking it, and feel better within hours after first dose. Don't be afraid of this medication. I'm allergic to penicillin as well as erythromycin so my md prescribes cipro.”

Halima March 31, 2020

“DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION CIPROFLOXACINE! I REPEAT, DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION! Let's see where do I start? I was paranoid, did not go to sleep for 24 hours, could not stop going to the bathroom, I had weird movements (my thumb would move for no reason), my fingers were tingling, sometimes I was hot sometimes I was cold. I was nervous, anxious, scared, and could not keep still in the shower just to wash myself. 22 hours later I have a smell that I can't get out of my nose that smells like bleach. I'm hoping it goes away. Oh, and let's not forget the tightness in my throat and how my bones would hurt to the point standing up was difficult. My husband said I woke up out of my sleep jumped out of the bed and got in the shower. I don't even remember doing that, which is another side effect called, "confusion or memory loss". Let's just say I said a lot of prayers that night because I thought I wasn't going to make it.”

Jackrorabbit · Taken for less than 1 month May 21, 2014

“Of all the available antibiotics, this one has the fewest side effects for me, and unless I have a MRSA infection in my sinus, the one that works the best. Allergic reactions can happen with any medicine, so make sure you know those signs. Itchy skin (hyper itchy), welts, short of breath, blue fingernails, etc.”

EyeHurtToo January 7, 2018

“This is the only antibiotic that works for my chronic sinusitis. I get infections often and they are horrible. I get anxiety & depression when I'm that sick. Cipro is the only antibiotic that doesn't make my stomach sick. This medicine is almost as hard to get now as narcotics. It's ridiculous! After the first dose there is improvement. If you were given this for a sinus infection don't be afraid of it. It's a great antibiotic with fewer side effects than all the others. It's kicking the heck out of a month long infection for me right now. I'm so happy. I was rock bottom a few days ago. Finally I'm getting better.”

JDB2017 November 26, 2017

“Honestly when will people learn that all drugs have side effects but not everyone will suffer with adverse reactions. Yes this is a very strong antibiotic and because it is so strong it can cause some nasty side effects. I’ve used it for sinus infections as well as prostatitis. Slight upset stomach and nausea but compared to having a sinus infection and prostatitis I'd rather take the pill. Don’t let these scare stories put you off taking this med if your doctor has prescribed it. It works wonders.”

Mzmarley Parks · Taken for less than 1 month November 15, 2015

“This medicine has been everything that I had hoped for. I had a very bad sinus infection and a Kidney infection as well. And on the second day of taking Cipro 500mg twice a day....has been a Blessing for me.....I know I can't have any Dairy products for a week, but I rather get back to health.”

Shelus · Taken for less than 1 month October 31, 2016

“Took first dose and started feeling better after 4 hours. Then my forearm began to ache. I read all of the side effects, do and don'ts. Drank 66 oz of water cut the dairy and out comes the mucus. Voice is back post nasal drip slowed tremendously. Day 2 diarrhea no pain though”

karl10 June 7, 2015

“Terrible problem with sinus issues and drainage for many, many years. This year, almost one infection per month on average. Resistant to most antibiotics according to ENT. My internist prescribed Cipro on a flareup (drainage, headache, green discharge). Tried this and on 2nd day, remarkable improvement. Also, achiness in joints, trouble sleeping next night, anxiousness. Cut back to one pill in morning, instead of prescribed two. Side affects are about 80% less and I do believe it is still very effective. Shortly after taking pill, it seems to make me want to cough phlegm like Mucinex D (phlegm almost non-existent after 3 days) and it gave me a unbelievable dry cough. Seems very effective medicine, but has very strong side effects.”

Mike from NY October 15, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Took Cipro for a sinus infection. Six days in I couldn't rotate my forearms. 3 years later, numerous doctors, two surgeries and my arms are practically useless. FDA black box warning on it people. Google the drug. Do not ever take, fluoroquinolones are poison. They were originally developed to give to soldiers exposed to Anthrax. And try to never take generic. US Supreme Court says if you do you are not allowed to sue the original drug manufacturer OR the generic company you used. This drug ruined my life.”

Xuytdjb · Taken for less than 1 month June 6, 2015

“I took Cipro for a sinus infection along with bronchitis. It worked very well but I didn't like the fact that I had to avoid dairy and take my multivitamin at a small window of opportunity during the day. Cipro made me very tired and weak, also a little fuzzy. Plus side was I slept great at night and it cured my infections.”

Shebalin November 8, 2011

“I was prescribed it this morning for sinus infection to be taken 100mg 2 times a day. After the second pill this evening my sinuses started clearing and I felt energized and amazed at how quickly it helped. I am afraid though it is going to affect my ability to get a good nights sleep and I have a small rash but not itchy. My worst worry is that I just had ankle surgery and currently having some problems with my Achilles tendon that my doctor is aware of. After researching the medication this evening I am almost afraid of taking it anymore. I have enough ankle problems as it is. Love how fast it works though...but side effects could be troublesome.”

Canada1000 June 24, 2017

“Please I beg you don't take this drug. I took it weeks ago and after a few pills had severe tingling in my chest and arm and then swelling in my hand and now I can hardly walk. I'm only 30 years old and was an athlete prior to this now I can't walk my dog. This is poison and needs to be taken off the market.”

Random · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2018

“The only antibiotic that I think has completely gotten rid of my sinus infection! Finished 7 day course of two other antibiotics before being prescribed with this one. By the second dose the pain had significantly decreased. Side effects that I experienced: stomach ache (only on first 2 days), metallic taste in mouth (tolerable) and hunger pangs.”

Melissa · Taken for less than 1 month December 25, 2020

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Took this for a sinus infection. Did not clear it up, but about 4 weeks later I had neuropathy in my face which then spread down over my whole body. Muscle spasms, arthritis, vertigo, blurred vision, headaches, burning nerve pain, tendonitis, even my hair started falling out. Had to do PT just to use my right leg again. Went to multiple neurologists and drs. But they could not figure it out. Almost a year later I was given cipro again and immediately felt like my whole body was on fire. This was around the time they were having hearings at the FDA to add all the black box warnings, so my new doctor figured it out. 5 years later and I'm better, but still cant hike or do things I used to love, and still have nerve and tendon issues Don't ever take Cipro!”

Still sick Lisa · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2017

“Where do I begin? I took it for a sinus infection and not the recommended twice daily but only once per day because I couldn't tolerate it more than that. My face and body felt like it was on fire and my skin coloring was red like I was burning up on the outside & inside. I had nausea, diarrhea, ear and throat itching, mind alteration ( couldn't comprehend things like normal), skin puffiness/swelling, stomach pain, taste distortion, high pulse rate, dizziness, fatigue, weight gain, decrease in appetite, frequent burning urination, and even stuffier nose than when I started it. Now it is in my chest & in my nasal cavaties. I just want to feel better. This is awful!!!!”

Oel January 22, 2020

“I took 2,500mg total over the course of 3 days which consisted of a 500mg dose twice a day . On the third day I stopped my treatment after feeling extremely tired and fatigued from just the simplest of chores. Side effects I suffered are weakness, internal vibrations, de-personalization, immense dread, fear, depression, suicidal thoughts, nerve pain, tingling sensations, out of body sensations, memory loss, eye strain, dry eye, ear pressure, stomach problems, stiff joints, balance issues and that's all been on and off since I stopped taking the cipro. Many have been impacted in a negative way by this drug. Please, if you have the option go take another anti-biotic that is not a fluoroquinolone. I beg you to think twice about glancing over the warnings that come with your medication because this drug is no joke and can cause serious harm! I'm a year out and in some aspects I have improved but, in others I'm still healing and looking forward to the day I'm back to my previous bill of health.”

NotForMe November 15, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “First of all I am a Certified Pharmacy Tech, I have taken Cipro so many times in the past for ear infections, UTIs, sinusitis and whatever else. Well that ALL changed! I was taking it for my sinuses and an ear infection. Just about as soon as I swallowed the pill I started breaking out in a rash and welts all over my body. I looked like I had been chemical burn, not to mention the itching! I let the pharmacy manager look at me and she said you are highly allergic to Cipro. I had never had a reaction like that before in the past. I don’t know if they changed up the chemicals to it or what. To this day I can’t even count out Cipro if a patient has a script for it!! I will immediately break out in welts on my hands and start scratching if any of the powder gets on my skin. I can’t even touch the stock bottle it’s that bad.”

Anonymous July 30, 2010

“This medication made me nauseous everytime I took it, but I continued to take it . On the 7th day I became very ill. Chills, vomiting, hurting and I stayed in bed for 2 days except for going to the Instant Care. They said I had an allergic reaction. The doctor also gave me a 1-pill medication to prevent an yeast infection.”

Alicia · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Pros: Noticed great improvement of my symptoms after only 24 hours and continued to get better each day. Cons: after the second dose started to have loose bowel and stomach pain. Also experienced nightmares and severe insomnia. By the third day, 6th dose, the side effects were much too severe to continue this antibiotic.”

Mystique · Taken for less than 1 month December 9, 2018

“Horrible antibiotics, took first pill at 5pm had loud ringing in left ear, 4 days later still faintly ringing. Also had nightmares all night. Didn't take another pill next day, went back to doctors and asked for a different one. Way too strong for me, glad I was wise to not finish these antibiotics”

john October 8, 2018

“I have taken this drug many times due to my allergies to most families of antibiotics. I have always tolerated it generally well, however the last two times I took it, I had extreme anxiety and panic attacks, as well as feeling like crying even though I wasn't sad. The first time I completed my dose and assumed it was my anxiety disorder causing it. I felt better and better the next week or two after I was done with my dose, but didn't connect the two. However the next time I took the medication, I felt the exact same. Extremely anxious to the point where Klonopin wouldn't calm me down, and sadness for no reason. I stopped after 3 days in and noticed a great decrease in mental symptoms the next day, dissipating within a week or so. I am lucky to have no physical symptoms, as I still work out almost daily and had no tendon issues or soreness, however due to all of the complaints from others, and the mental effects it had on me, I won't take it again.”

Mystique December 8, 2018

“After taking just 1 pill, a few hours later had severe ringing in left ear which practically lasted all night, nightmares when I finally fell asleep. No way was I going to carry on. I went back to the Doctor the next morning and asked for a different antibiotics. Still have slight tinnitus 2 days after, so lucky I didn't carry on obviously this antibiotics were too strong for me.”

Anonymous February 1, 2012

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “With a combination of Cipro and some Mucinex my sinus problems were gone in 24 hours. I'm finishing the medicine and feeling great.”

Learn more about Sinusitis