User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin to treat Bacterial Infection

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro I.V., Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro XR

Ciprofloxacin has an average rating of 5.2 out of 10 from a total of 51 ratings for the treatment of Bacterial Infection. 43% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 47% reported a negative effect.

Ciprofloxacin Rating Summary

5.2/10 average rating

Compare all 1055 medications used in the treatment of Bacterial Infection.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

macandrea July 28, 2019

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Without a CT or any proper diagnosis of diverticulitis, based on symptoms I was prescribed Cipro twice a day for 10 days. On day 3 I woke in a panic early in the morning thinking I was dying with the worst feeling of panic and terror I have ever felt. Day 4 was worse. I looked up the side effects after the 8th pill (evening day 4) and every single bizarre symptom I was having including the panic attacks and psychiatric systems, neuropathy, major abdominal pain and worsened diarrhea were there . Terrified, I decided to stop the medication immediately. I had no idea that I had just been poisoned by a Fluoroquinolone. 2 months later I had a CT scan that said NO Diverticulitis. Fluoroquinolones are extremely dangerous, as ear drops and as pills and should be pulled off the market. Doctors who prescribe these pills that make us sick and destroy our lives don't take any responsibility or apologize or help with the multitude of side effects and permanent damage.”

Hello1980 March 15, 2013

“Many times people only write reviews when a medication doesn't work. Therefore, people doing research on side effects become terrified. I have used Cipro several times, always worked great for me and never gave me any side effects. I only used it when I was sick and never longer than 10 days, but it is an anti-biotic I trust. Medications work different on everyone.”

Dappy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 6, 2019

“I had Staph Aureus infection after a hip replacement and having immune system problems I had to take this medication (ciprofloxacin)+Rifampacin for 7 months. As I'd had an allergic reaction to the first two antibiotics [Clindamycin and Doxycycline] I had to stay on it. I felt so bad - didn't want to wake up. BUT I'M ALIVE. It was 7 months of hell, but when there isn't another anti-biotic that can kill the infection and you're on the last of 3, you take it. One comment here that said it should be taken off the market, well if it had I'd be dead. It was horrendous but I'M ALIVE. Thank you to the guys that find these drugs, side-effects or no side-effects, without them I wouldn't be here. If you put it into perspective 7 months is nothing. I would stare at the capsules twice a day but I knew the alternative didn't bear thinking about. I hope these comments help others - take them, they killed my infection eventually, they saved my life and hopefully they can do the same for you.”

Lost coast kid October 25, 2015

“Good experience. Definately some side effects when I started, nauseous and a bit spaced out for cleared up a serious sinus/ear infection fast. I do have to laugh at the bad reviews I read about Cipro. They list horrible things but you know nothing else of the reviewers lifestyle, food choices, other meds etc. So I took it as directed and ignored all the other crap I read and it worked well. Also the folks who said they ate yogurt and felt better is just not true. Cipro kills everything that includes the good bacteria in yogurt so wait until your finished then at probiotics. Number 2, any dairy cancels the Cipro out, hence ....don't eat yogurt.....drink lots of water and only take these poisons when you need too :)”

Anonymous July 6, 2008

“I was suffering from Diarrhea,chills,extreme sweating, but no fever. This was very scaring because no one could figure out what was happening to me. It was decided that I probably had a BACTERIAL INFECTION. The PA decided that he would treat that and prescribed Ciprofloxacin. I am allergic to a lot of things and was afraid that this would not work. I took this medication and within 2 days I felt so much better,with headaches being the only side effect.”

Scott · Taken for less than 1 month August 8, 2018

“This drug nearly destroyed my life and continues to haunt me daily. Don't say it can't happen to you. I was very athletic and had school records in wrestling never had any health issues until I took this stuff. Since taking it my muscles and tendons are damaged all over my body. I nearly went blind permanently. Severe Anxiety. Severe food allergies. Can't eat gluten anymore. Nearly destroyed my marriage. Could no longer play with my kids. I am now picking up the pieces of the damage this drug has done to my life 7 years later. My advice is never take CIPRO or LEVOQUIN or any drug in this family if antibiotics. There are 7 families of antibiotics they can give you another kind. Don't let them talk you into this garbage by telling you that this can't happen to you. It can and does very often happen. Read all of the other reviews. They are true. There are many support groups that you can talk to also for victims if this poison. You have been warned.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more February 5, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “I have had bacterial & kidney infections for about 15 yrs off & on & docs have prescribed many different antibiotics to me but Cipro is the only thing that ever worked for me & is strong enough to kill the Bacteria.Cipro is my only hope once my infection starts!”

jl July 29, 2019

“Please don’t take this medication ciprofloxacin. After my 2nd dose, I immediately felt side effects without warning. I got dizzy and passed out twice and vomited and had diarrhea. Felt very fatigued after each dose-not like myself at all. This drug needs to be taken off of the market. I cannot imagine what wouldn’t happened had I continued taking it.”

Rawal Afzal March 20, 2017

“Tremors, anxiety, panic attacks, brainfog, insomnia, intolerance towards many foods, medicines, vitamins and supplements, concentration issues, light sensitivity, heart palpitations, difficulty in reading and understanding, spells of severe depression, weakness, fatigue, delayed and slow reactions to situations and questions, spells of memory loss, - despite taking it 14 months ago! It has destroyed the abilities and the intelligence of a poet, an intellectual thinker, a guy known for witty replies and unmatched sense of humour and timing. This poison has changed the personality of a guy named Rawal Afzal - myself that is! I'll never ever take it again, or any drugs in the class of Fluoroquinolone or Quinolone, even as eye or ear drops.”

ave23 · Taken for less than 1 month June 26, 2020

“Did not experience any side effects. Took for 2 weeks twice and day for urine/bacteria infection. I'm 19 and petite and was concerned about the heavy amount of reviews concerning the joint issues reviewers were experiencing, but have not experienced heavy symptoms.”

DD · Taken for less than 1 month August 25, 2020

“I took Cipro the first day a prescribed, by the next morning I was uncontrollably itching from head to toe, red as a horrible sunburn, heart was racing a mile a second. I went back to doctor and spent 4 hours on IV and a couple injections later I went home with a horrible headache.”

Torn tendons · Taken for less than 1 month May 13, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “2017 FDA Black Box warning issued for Cipro and other fluoroquinolones for severe permanent tendon damage that can take months to show up! Cipro should ONLY be prescribed as a last resort drug but a lot of doctors are unaware! Beware! Read the professional prescribing info on this website for the black box warnings.”

LiveLoveLaugh0130 · Taken for less than 1 month May 24, 2017

Proquin XR (ciprofloxacin): “I was prescribed Elequin (also known as Proquin and Levaquin). They belong to a group of antibiotics called Fluoroquinolones. From day one of taking this medication, I started having severe pain in my legs, back and abdomen. I was on this antibiotic for seven days, twice a day. It's been months since I finished that course of antibiotics and I have multiple torn tendons, compressed urinary bladder, severe nerve damage, daily digestive issues, abdominal pain and severe anxiety. It was one of the worst decisions I have ever made in my life to follow that gynecologist instructions and take this medication. I've made it a priority of mine to warn others of the dangers involved in taking these very harmful and toxic antibiotic.”

Iwasfloxed · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

“This drug should be a last resort drug for any application. Please read the FDA Black Box warnings!! I took this drug 7 years ago and it lead to permanent and disabling connective tissue issues, peripheral neuropathy, and exhaustion. At 52 years old and at the peak of my career, I had to quit my job to manage my symptoms. I'm still struggling to put my life back together from the devastating side effects of this drug. I've spent thousands of dollars with many medical and holistic practitioners and not one has been able to help me get better. Do not take this drug!!!!”

Spakrle Female July 19, 2015

“Were can I start? I have been suffering back pains, joints pains, name it, only recently I felt I had some kidney infection due to taking some ulcer tablets. Omg. I love this medication. It is my 4th day and here are things that have vanished; back pain. knee pains joint pains, ulcers in my digestion, throat mucus, breathing, then, every half hour I used to sit down due to stomach pains, (maybe ulcer), that's stopped and walked 2 hours! Food digesting so much better, the pains have gone, and mostly, I feel like a clay! I could not move my back, joints, I mean only for one reason was this given to me, and here are so much I can say: Mouth teeth ulcers gone. discharge vaginal gone knee /bones pains gone. stomach digestion problem gone.”

Deborah · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2019

“I took a 10 day course over Christmas. My personality changed I got so angry all the time and the dishes and food making sent me over the edge. My family said I had become Bi Polar. I had pain in my knees and my right leg kept kicking out to the side. I was just so hateful to myself and everyone. I felt so sad as the whole family now will remember , this as the worst family reunion ever. I tried to explain but not a soul seems to believe me. I had black runs to the toilet and brain fog like I was starting Alzheimers . I lost my dad to Alzheimers this same year so it made me so paranoid.”

Bob 73 · Taken for less than 1 month October 1, 2019

Cipro XR (ciprofloxacin): “The PA prescribed 1 week of Cipro by mouth for a quarter inch wide reddish laceration from my bike pedals six inches inches above my ankle. I questioned it. She said I should take it to "prevent the infection from going to my ankle". I took the cipro as prescribed. Its been 3 weeks since I took it. The cut is mostly healed now but I got multiple tendinitis at week 1 and still am having hip pain.”

Jimmy c1 September 13, 2017

“Was sick for almost 2 months, had swollen lymph nodes , fevers every night for over a month... Diarrhea for 10 days and had lost 22 pounds in one month. I was so weak I could barely walk.. I even broke out in a rash all over my body for like 3 days. I felt like I lost hope. I went to the doctors and they found a stomach bacteria. (After almost 2 months) The gave me two bags of saline solution because I was severely dehydrated and prescribed Cyprofloaxin. I've been on cyprofloaxin for about 4 days and it has helped me out tremendously. After that I can eat normally and drink normally and even walk and go out and enjoy time with my girlfriend. This antibiotic is like magic. I don't know what I would do without it. I highly recommend”

CP1.2 · Taken for less than 1 month April 9, 2017

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “I was diagnosed with an abdominal infection after stool testing. I took ONE pill and ended up in the ER. Within minutes of swallowing Cipro, my lips started to swell—then my eyes and whole face followed. My throat started getting scratchy so I went to the ER because I was scared my throat would swell to the point that I couldn't breathe. After this incident, I thoroughly researched Cipro and along with other drugs in its class—I will never take any of them. They are so scary. Yes, it's true that any drug can cause harm, but these drugs carry a much greater risk. Much greater.”

Moose1999 August 24, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “The severe side effect after only 2nd pill of cramps in calves, legs and shoulders were not worth the medications use. Very scary. No one told me the damage could be permanent, not dr or pharmacy- this should be advised up front. Will never use again.”

BJ · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

“I was given ciprofloxacine for a ossible infection after a stent was placed in mu ureter during an OR procedure. After 3 pills I had tendon pulls, weakness on my left side, abdominal pain, electric zaps in my legs and abdomen, fatigue, brain fog, depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts, itching, etc. I could hardly walk for 5 months. Thought I would end up in a wheelchair. 2 years later I still deal with pain, weakness, anxiety, brain fog, tendon pulls, abdominal pain.”

msrcmw December 23, 2011

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Warnings on this drug should include avoiding fluorescent lights (as well as sunlight.) Exposure - in doctor's exam room, gave me horribly uncomfortable, itchy, unsightly rash that won't go away two weeks later.”

user123456789 February 2, 2015

“I was prescribed Cipro to treat bacterial overgrowth syndrome in my intestines. The first time I took it, it worked wonders! It without a doubt changed my life. Apparently, bacterial overgrowth is recurring so I'm on my second round of it now - 2 pills, twice daily, for 14 days - and am experience much worse side effects than the first time around. The nausea/dizziness/upset stomach passes after about an hour, though, so I don't mind putting up with it to get the desired results, because it really does work phenomenally well for me!”

ryan0 April 20, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “been taking antibiotics for almost 3 month now, cipro for 6 weeks for an apparently antibiotic resistant infection. started on merropenem i.v. (dont know why if its antibiotic resistant) i think doctors do whatever they can with the knowledge they have been given by these companies. which most dont even now of the side effects and say dont believe everything you read on google. but i had diarrhea straight away after the first pill (500mg) i have also had tennis elbow. yet never played any tennis or golf.i have muscular pain in my shoulder and it felt like it popped out or something almost a week ago. and only now i re read the symptoms and the reviews i see others having this problem. i dont trust pharma companies i want to stop taking now”

Katey · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 17, 2020

“I had a bacterial infection in my lungs that I fought with for eight months. Since I have COPD I really thought it was the end of me. Ciprofloxacin saved my life. I had to take three rounds of it and really had a bad experience with the side effects on the tail end of the third round. But I’m finally getting better and I’m not smothering anymore.”