User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin to treat Diverticulitis

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro I.V., Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro XR

Ciprofloxacin Rating Summary

4.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 20 medications used in the treatment of Diverticulitis.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2020

“I have taken Cipro every time I have had a flare-up. I have had no side effects. I highly recommend NOT taking a generic version of any antibiotic let alone this one. Quality control can be an issue in generic versions. Follow the directions how to and when to take it and never...ever...double dose. If you miss a dosage...screw it u miss it. If you're in pain be smart don't be risky.”

LearnFromMyHell April 22, 2020

“It's been a month since I took this. It was supposed to be a 7 day course of ciprofloxacin, but it took only 4 pills to completely cripple me. I've been living on the couch, intense pain from my foot tendons, and all kinds of messed up sensations in my hands and feet. From everything I read, this may or may not be permanent, I may or may not rupture my achilles (just by walking), or my aorta... and I won't necessarily know if I escape THOSE side effects for years. Because I reacted at all, I'm a ticking time bomb for all of it. I have no words to describe how terrifying it is to live like this, I am so depressed, so frustrated, and so ANGRY. When I reacted, they shrugged and changed me over to Augmentin, which worked fine with NO side effects. If that was an option, there's NO REASON I should ever have been prescribed this poison. It's black boxed in the US, Health Canada has strong warnings for it, you're only supposed to be given it in extremely dire situations, I knew NONE of this until it was too late.”

Gilda · Taken for less than 1 month January 22, 2020

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “I was given Cipro for mild uncomplicated Diverticulitis. Not only did it not help, but it caused me to be drug resistant and I got the Super Bug, C Dificile. That nearly was the end of me. The infectious disease doctor said people should stay away from Cipro. It is causing serious issues!”

TJ · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

“Cipro (ciprofloxacin) wrecked my tendons and spine, I ended up on disability. My damage is permanent. I quit midway through the prescription. It didn't matter.”

Kisu · Taken for less than 1 month November 4, 2019

“Was given ciprofloxacin for suspected Diverticulitis which I ended up not having. After second pill I was having cognitive issues. After third pill I developed tachycardia, muscle weakness, numbness, severe anxiety. I didn't take any more. It's been almost a year and since have developed pain in my muscles, joints, and tendons. My muscles are wasting away. I can't walk very far or for very long. I have hair loss, vision and hearing problems, worsened tinnitus, digestive issues, auditory hallucinations, and chronic fatigue. This drug has destroyed my life. DO NOT TAKE THIS CIPROFLOXACIN ANTIBIOTIC!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 25, 2019

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “I have taken Cipro for bronchitis numerous times & I am now taking it for diverticulitis. I have never had any bad side effects from taking it. It has always worked for me.”

Bella · Taken for less than 1 month June 23, 2019

“Took this for two days and the nausea started then all at once BAM, uncontrollable vomiting followed by uncontrollable diarrhea. To the point where I was home alone and had to call 911 as I was going in and out of consciousness. Paramedics arrived and I couldn't stop the vomiting and pooping. All the way to the hospital. While in ER the diarrhea was so bad and uncontrollable to the point that the floor was pooled with this mess. I was sent home with a diaper and a different medication. I refused to take. Got better a week later with nothing but now 8 months later the diverticulitis is back.”

Wren · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

“How is ciprofloxacin still legal?? It has annihilated me, my joints, and my immunity. It’s been a year now and I still can’t walk right, and I’ve had continued issues with immunity. My hips, and my achilles which I never had an issue with a constant medical issue. If you feel anything going on in any joint that doesn’t feel right, stop moving and stop this poison! Do not take this, even if you think you’ve taken a before and you’ve been fine. If anyone is up for a class action suit, I am happy to join in! The problem is, the doctor had prescribed, and a Doctor who screwed up my colonoscopy that caused the gut infection, will not admit to any issues with Cipro and keeps prescribing it. Listen to these reviews. I even asked my doctor if I should take it after reading the blackbox warnings and reviews and she said this is the standard protocol and I was very healthy and there was no reason to feel I was at risk . I hope it doesn’t kill me in the end. It is that bad.”

Usnvetak1 · Taken for less than 1 month April 22, 2019

“I’ve taken Cipro a few times mostly for diverticulitis. Never had any major issues as long as I took probiotics religiously as well as lots of yogurt and soft meals. Kind of comes with the territory having a terrible diverticulitis flare which landed me in the hospital. 4 days of IV antibiotics (Zosyn) and home with oral antibiotics of cipro and Flagyl. After a few days there is some slight nausea but nothing terrible and quite manageable with ginger tea and rest.”

PES · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2019

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “DO NOT TAKE THIS POISON! I was given Cipro for Diverticulitis 2 years ago. Please read every precaution & side effect of this drug. It effects your DNA, and never leaves your body. My right leg went into a spasm, I couldn't walk for over a month.! The tendons and ligaments in my ankles, knees, thumbs, neck and back started cracking , which has caused a crippling affect to this day. All the toes in my left foot are numb. It has changed my life and I still have depressing days. My advice is never take this drug, you will never be the same! Just research Floxie Hope to see how many others have been affected”

canuck55 · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2018

“This drug is not a joke. I foolishly did not read the patient information before taking these pills. Read the patient information before you take this. This drug should come with a warning and it should be illegal to dispense it without a huge warning. After 3 days I had such severe panic attacks I thought I was going to die. Insomnia and the worst panic attacks I have ever felt in my 52 years of living. Then came the nausea, vomiting, wretching with an empty stomach and more abdominal pain which I already had when I started this. My feet were on fire and I had shooting pains in my legs and horrible muscle pain. I could not drive, I could not focus, I could not remember anything from one minute to the next. I have been "floxied" and from what I read that is very serious. I feel it will take months for me to repair the damage done to my body after 3 days of this drug. It was not worth the risk and I completely regret it.”

Tom · Taken for less than 1 month September 7, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Worked, no obvious side effects. Took the last pills yesterday (Cipro + Flagyl). I have been taking a probiotic as well.”

Yazmine June 18, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “This works, but the side effects are horrible. Nausea, vomiting, muscle pain, right-side neck and shoulder pain and stiffness, mental fog and general malaise. This medication has "black box" warnings I was never told, what a mess. Quitting after 5 days and hoping for the best. Nasty stuff! If there is an alternative, they should not even prescribe this stuff!”

Jack R. · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2018

“I have taken this drug for years without much thought. Until 2 weeks after my latest round. WIthin 1 week, I completely dissected the RIGHT ACHILLES while walking. Two days after the surgery to repair it, I tore the LEFT ACHILLES tendon by standing up, again with no apparent damage to any other tendon or ligament. Likely not a coincidence. As I investigate my own past RX, I have taken this antibiotic MANY times and had symptoms but never related the two together and the side effects would just go away.”

Lmp · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “I took it twice, once in August and again in December. Since this drug is so strong it stays in your body for a long time. I ended up with Kidney Failure and ended up Hospitalized! Very scary, I was close to going on dialysis. Never, ever taking this drug again!”

Ms Krissy August 3, 2017

“Thought I was going to die taking Ciprofloxacin for my diverticulitis. Shortly after taking I would become increasingly warm, cheeks bright red, intense chest pain and short of breath. I had taken this medication twice before and didn't recall this side effect (Levaquin made me agitated). I made sure to separate my meds by over a hour to see which one in fact it was giving me the problem. Yikes”

Squadcar May 7, 2017

“I have been getting UTI's for years before I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis but my doctor gave me Cipro for the UTI's. As soon as I started taking this drug I started getting hip pain so bad I couldn't even walk to the bathroom. I went to Physical therapy, Aquatic Therapy, Massage Therapy and nothing helped. I finally put two and two together that every time I took Cipro this happened. When I was diagnosed with Diverticulitis I was given intravenous Cipro and Flagyl and although it helped the pain and swollen stomach by the 3rd day the hip pain was getting really bad again. My doctor says Cipro would not cause this but everybody in my Diverticulitis support group has experience the same thing. My foot was even super painful.”

M E P October 22, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Taking Cipro made me almost sicker than the bout of pain. I couldn't function, slept most of every day. Developed thrush, heavily coated tongue. Staggering when walking, off balance at times, thinking process was not normal, crying jags for no reason. This drug in the class of quinolones causes CNS problems. I will never take another in that class. Diarrhea was continuing days after the 10 day course was done. Read Cipro can actually cause C. difficile and Immodium can aggravate that! It's been one month since I started the ten day course of Cipro and still having side effects of CNS.”

AmyS1006 · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2016

“I was on metronidazole (flagyl) & ciprofloxacin for diverticulitis. Let me start off by saying these two medications together SUCK, however they DO work. I have never had any problems with medications...ever. (in 40 years) This time though, at times, I thought I was dying! Best described as the worst flu ever. Massive nausea, occasional vomiting, diarrhea, exhaustion, horrible taste in my mouth, nothing tasted good, and my appetite was bad. Day 4 was the peak of feeling awful. I went to every review sight trying to gather what worked to curb the symptoms. Everyone is different so what worked for others, didn't necessarily work for me. Here is what did work for me a bit, in case it can help anyone else. 1.) Try to not take them together. Split up the doses by like an hour or so. 2.) Take each dose with a little food, (even if you aren't hungry) something bland. DO NOT USE DAIRY PRODUCTS. This made my nausea worse! 3.) Have mints or candy at all times. Your mouth will feel gross and things will taste funny. However, I found spearmints also helped sooth the tummy a bit. 4.) Pepto-Bismol. 5.) Try not to take them immediately before bed at night. Give it about an hour or two. I noticed nausea will wake me up throughout the night if I take them to close to going to sleep. GOOD LUCK, and remember: Your doctor prescribed these for a reason. A reason that could turn into life threatening unless you get it controlled. The worst thing ever is to start taking an antibiotic and then stopping it mid-cycle as your body then becomes immune to it and is essentially ineffective.”

Sbrb · Taken for less than 1 month July 26, 2016

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Cipro was horrible. I have never had a reaction to an antibiotic before. Mentally disturbed head. It was very strange and made me panicky. Broke out in a rash on forearms and itchy tight chest. Read how awful this drug is. Thank goodness my reaction happened after a few doses and not a week or two. Flouriquinolones are poison for me. I never would have thought an antibiotic could be so harmful.”

starrynites · Taken for less than 1 month July 15, 2016

“I went to the doctor for simple gas pains. bladder was checked and bowels were checked. No blood was found. Was sent for an immediate bloodtest which showed signs of infection. was prescribed cipro and flagyl and was sent for barium for ct scan of the abdomen the next morning. The barium produced severe diarrhea but ct showed acute inflammation of the colon. I took the cipro and flagyl and was nauseated and had diarrhea for 7 days. I finished the flagyl but had 3 more days of cipro to go. On the 8th day the nausea and weakness was so bad along with back pain and joint pain. I couldn't take it any more, so I quit the cipro 2 days early. 24 hours later I resumed my multivitamins and simvistatin and had a little diarrhea but has stopped now.”

Doogs · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2016

“Whilst this may have worked well on the diverticulitis, the side effects were so awful. I used Cipro for 10 days in April, and was almost crippled with heel pain in my left foot, and big toe pain in my right foot. I had to put a box in my bed to keep the sheets off the foot, it was so painful. Once off the Cipro, my heel and toe pain slowly lessened, but I had a serious diverticulitis flare-up last week and they put me back on it in hospital. Despite telling the doctors about the heel pain (imagined, they said) they prescribed it to me when I went home. Then I started doing some research. Am now off the Cipro and will never take it again; just hoping the damage done to my tendons isn't permanent. Back on Augmentin.”

Gardengirl67 June 20, 2015

“Was prescribed cipro 2x/day with Flagyl 3x/day and they seemed to work although not as quickly as other reviewers. Not sure if it was the cipro alone or the combination but nausea was the main symptom. I would be fine for a few hours after the Flagyl but within an hour of taking the cipro I would have to lay down due to nausea and exhaustion. Still taking it and counting the days. Hopefully will not have an occasion to use this again.”

wawah pain February 16, 2013

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “Cleared up but terrible taste in mouth...but better than alternative.”

Anonymous February 28, 2012

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): “By day 6 Cipro was helping with the symptoms but I started having blurred vision. Day 7 vision even more blurred and had a headache and pain behind right eye. Doctor took me off Cipro and put me on Doxycycline.”

Learn more about Diverticulitis

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)