User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro I.V., Cipro XR, Proquin XR

Learn more about Ciprofloxacin.

Ciprofloxacin Rating Summary

5.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 89 medications used in the treatment of Kidney Infections.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin to treat Kidney Infections

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I took Cipro for a UTI. Within 3 doses (1.5 days) I went from walking fine, to having severe pain in my left knee and having to limp. The pain got worse. Finally, I researched Cipro's side effects and found out that it can cause severe damage to tendons. I stopped the medication, but the damage was already done. A year later I had to have surgery to repair some of the damage. Since then I have read other horror cases like mine. Cipro seems to find a weak tendon and strike at it. I will never take this drug again."

Leasey (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2016

"I was nervous to take Cipro because I had made the mistake of reading online reviews. To people like me who get anxiety about medication: just think, people who willingly write a review online about medication probably had an extreme or unpleasant experience, but that does not make them the majority. I'm a petite woman that was prescribed 500 mg two times a day for a week. The first time I took the pill I felt a bit lightheaded and woke up a tad nauseous. However, I was not on a full stomach (too nauseous to eat with my kidney infection) and I made the mistake of not drinking a full glass of water with the pill. As long as you do those things and avoid dairy (among other things like NSAIDs, etc) you'll be fine. Feeling much better now"

ATCCAL March 15, 2016

"I had a kidney infection & my Doctor prescribed Ciprofloxacin for 3 days and boy, the infection is gone but the side effects are just so intense! I had throbbing headaches. I couldn't think straight. Got a major fever, my face turned red. I was so miserable. The drug definitely got rid of the infection but fair warning: it was as if I had a bad acid trip."

Jackie from Toronto (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

"Got diagnosed with my third kidney infection in two months, nothing seems to make it go away. Have been taking 500mg twice a day for 3 days now and I still have pain in my side, and the side effects are nasty. Bad nausea, acid reflux and dizziness is making me have to sleep with a bowl next to my bed. But hey ho if it works it's a small price to pay. Not impressed right now though"

Rae97 January 5, 2016

"I cannot work anymore. The pain in my feet and especially my heel is excruciating. I get dizzy spells. I have constant headaches. I get dizzy. My vision is cloudy on occasions. I have a flash of light in the right corner of my eye when I look far right then start to look left. I can no longer work. I can't hardly walk. I used to do heavy labor type jobs like carrying 80 pound bags of salt. My life is pretty much gone. I feel worthless because I can no longer work. God have mercy on the people who gave me this medicine."

Bartholomewwongmail December 30, 2015

"I was put on an antibiotic while waiting for my urine culture to come back, and the day after I finished that course of antibiotics I was put on Cipro, as the bacteria was not sensitive to the previous antibiotic. I have only taken 2 Cipro(last night and this morning) but I've had to stop taking them as my wrist is swollen to nearly twice its normal size and I have almost intense pain."

Kattttt December 24, 2015

"I had to go to the ER cuz it was so bad. They gave me cipro and I feel way worse then when I went to emergency. I've Been taking it two days now and the pain on my right side feels like it's on fire. I can't stand up for longer than a few minutes and I've been throwing up every couple of hours. Antibiotics are supposed to make you better not worse"

riley 89 December 7, 2015

"This pill cleared up my UTI that had spread to my kidney. However, I had some bad side effects. First off, this pill destroyed my stomach. I had intense pain in my upper abdomen and couldn't eat without terrible indigestion and discomfort. This started immediately after starting the medication and stopped the day my pills ran out. I also had insane dreams, which kept me from sleeping. Very vivid, strange dreams. I'm glad my infection was gone, but I could not wait to stop this medication."

lucy_sea November 18, 2015

"Have been taking Cipro for 5 days now for a severe bladder infection. Had completely taken my pain away that was at a level 10 by day 2. However, the side effects have been horrible. Nausea even with food, light headed, motion sickness, bloating and I seem to be constipated. So far this is a small price to pay for the horrendous infection to be gone."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2015

"I've been on cipro for 4 days now. 500mg twice a day every 12 hours. I am handling it well, but as a powerlifter and learning what it does to your joints and tendons is terrifying. BE CAREFUL while training if you are active. This medicine can cause rips in your tendons and swelling of joints. It can take months to repair. I've stayed away from the gym while on my cycle of cipro. Be smart with this drug and it will do miracles. As for the fluoride, NO idea why it's in there. It plays no part in the healing process and is only used to cloud your judgement. (P.S. Fluoride was first put in concentrate camps to cause the prisoners confusion, delayed reactions, and a foggy mind.) Do your research people!"

MissChris717 September 28, 2015

"I took this for a few days so far and it hasn't been helping at all. My back pain is getting worse so I'll have to go to the doctors soon again."

Neea (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2015

"Took Cipro for cystitis that turned into a mild kidney infection after Macrobid didn't do the trick. No serious side effects from medication except for drowsiness a couple hours after a dose... Not so bad when you're achy from a kidney infection. Don't freak out over reviews. It's worth remembering that most people taking antibiotics aren't feeling so hot anyway, so side effects nausea and aches could be due to illness as much as anything else. ALWAYS FINISH YOUR ANTIBIOTICS!"

HelloWorld2 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Was given Cipro for a bladder infection. Took it for 5 or 6 days. Every day I felt sicker to the point that I couldn't even eat. Lost 10 pounds in three days. All I could do was sleep. My wife looked it up and found that this antibiotic has fluoride in it. No wonder I felt sick! I have never had a reaction to any other medications so this was new for me. Within 24 hours of stopping Cipro, I felt like myself again so I knew it was the medication. Fluoride, really? Can anyone say "Lab Rat". Never again!"

RFG4578 (taken for less than 1 month) May 29, 2015

"I have had multiple kidney infection and urinary tract infections and NOTHING works better or quicker than Cipro. I also take cranberry pills along with antibiotic and this seems to help me flush my system as well as lots of water and cranberry juice. I find that I don't get relief for a couple of days (2-3). I do have one side effect and that is my joints hurt, but it disappears after the 3rd day of use (for me). Also, I wouldn't take on an empty stomach because it can and will make you nauseous. Otherwise, I would recommend for both urinary, bladder and kidney infections."

Ambmas May 24, 2015

"It hits with a stomach pain but after taking it days ago. I feel more better. Make sure you'll take the medicine with a heavy meal. You truly feel it cleanse."

Shenshenn October 29, 2014

"Was prescribed this medication along with Augmentin and Paracetemol following diagnosis of an advanced kidney infection. Four days later and I feel a little better in terms of the infection but the side effects have been awful. Constant feelings of extreme fatigue and weakness. Low energy levels; feels like the wind has been knocked out of me. Feelings of nausea and stomach ache for up to two hours after taking it! I have taken this medicine exactly as instructed by my local Pharmacist. Guess it just doesn't agree with me."

Lollagra June 29, 2014

"Had a kidney infection 2 years ago. The only side effect I had on these is feeling really sleepy/out of it at times. It also cured my diarrhea from my kidney infection. I had a terrible infection; fever, vomiting, couldn't eat for five days, diarrhea, and this cleared it right up. Don't be scared to try this medicine if it was prescribed to you. All because it happened to another person, doesn't mean it will happen to you."

ellipsis92 (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2014

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I hate cipro. It sucks tne life out of me. I have no energy and it takes many , months to get better."

mball January 20, 2014

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I have chronic urinary tract infections. Every time I know one is coming on, I go to my doctor and this is what is prescribed. This last urinary tract infection I couldn't get treated because I have no insurance and didn't have the money for the office visit. so I tried to wait it out or flush it with water. It eventually turned to a Kidney Infection and I was put on this medication. It does the trick within a day every time."

Review (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2013

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Cipro has worked well for both my wife and I over the years. Just remember to Not consume any dairy products during the days you are taking Cipro."

RobertPat (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2013

"Dear Antibiotic, I think by "may cause dizziness" you meant to say "may cause you to feel like you are stuck on a merry go round." Overall though ok, but for about an hour after I take it, I'm all dizzy. Other then that, its fine."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 25, 2012

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Caused bad stomach upset."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 24, 2012

"I got diagnosed with kidney infection yesterday and just started taking Cipro. It seems to be working quite well. Still have little pain and am bloated from the water but am doing okay."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2012

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Cipro is great! It can't be beat! If my name was Cipro, that would be neat! Clearing up the kidney infection I've had finally. I did injure my back while on it though, which is a possible side effect and it makes me feel like bad but the kidney infection is finally going away."

Scootypoo January 26, 2012

"I was given this medicine to prevent a kidney infection while having a kidney stone pass. It worked and didn't have too many side effects. I would recommend it."

krazy_in_ky November 9, 2010