User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro I.V., Cipro XR, Proquin XR

Learn more about Ciprofloxacin.

Ciprofloxacin Rating Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 86 medications used in the treatment of Kidney Infections.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin to treat Kidney Infections

"Took Cipro for 7 days for a kidney infection. It is now 3 weeks later and Cipro has wrecked my ability to walk. Tendons tighten up and Achilles begins to throb instantly. Sitting on couch hoping this isn't permanent? I would never take this drug."

Chad46 July 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had as many as 12 kidney infections a year since I was 19. I am now 51. I also have a history of creating kidney stones. I have been on many antibiotics over the years. I have had serious allergies to other antibiotics, i.e. stop breathing, rashes, becoming allergic to them after taking for extended use. Cipro has been a blessing. I have not had a kidney infection in over 2 years. So clearly whatever infection was able to hid prior to cipro is now gone. Yes, there can be a bit a nausea, however, if I drink water, eat a bit first then take this antibiotic and continue to finish my meal, there is little to no nausea. I have read the reviews and the warnings that comes with cipro. I don't go in the sun, hiking, or biking,"

Nicolynne (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Cipro on a Friday. Random body heat spikes. Back hurt. Nausea. Bad dreams. I didn't find out until Monday when my doctor called with bladder test that I was resistant to Cipro and they put me on Nitrofurantoin. Hope it works. I would recommend asking your doctor for another antibiotic other than Cipro."

AmyPain June 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I was prescribed this medication for a kidney infection. On the third day I developed breathing problems similar to asthma, rapid heart beat, a burning sensation in my chest, and found sleep to be very difficult."

Dm3// May 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Took Cipro for a month and it cleared up a very major kidney cyst infection for me. I was extremely unwell and in hospital. I am 50 and a regular walker. I found all symptoms minor and manageable until week 4 when I did develop some extra aches and pains, and felt a general malaise and unwellness. I even felt a bit depressed on the last day of taking it. Stopped Cipro yesterday and have woken up feeling like my old self. I would take it again though because it was so effective at clearing up my infection."

MrsMiller April 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking these tablets since late Tuesday, I'm on a 500mg 10 day cycle for chronic kidney infection. The hospital sent me away with the tablets and advised if I was no better within 48 hours I was to go straight to A&E. I have taken 4 tablets now, I was feeling sick and vomiting before I started to take these tablets so I can't blame that now the tablet. I can honestly say the only problems I am having with this tablet is the dreams, they are so awful, vivid and terrifying. It's hard to try and get back to sleep when you know what your gonna face on the other side but all I want to do is sleep and rest. Overall I genuinely think the tablets is doing its job, I shall let you know if I end up in hospital this evening."

1A9H9B7 April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a severe kidney infection and got put on cipro. By the third day I was vomiting and had horrible diarrhea. By day 5 I have having crazy hallucinations. I felt like I was losing my mind. I got in my truck got halfway down the road and realized I had no shoes on. I also got in the shower not realizing my socks were still on. It was the strangest thing. I broke down in my kitchen starting bawling because I couldn't figure out what was going on with me. I called my friend who is a RN told her what was going on and she said stop taking it immediately. Couple weeks after I was fine but I will never take this ever again. It was the most out of control feeling and I felt like I should of been in a mental facility. Worst drug ever."

Twiddle64 March 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I am not stranger to antibiotics for U.T.I. infections. Just 2 weeks ago was subscribed Cipro the normal is 3 day. This medication did not help me I even got worse with the spasms, frequency and burning. I'm not saying the medication made it worse just saying it doesn't work. I'm on something different and waiting on a culture since my problem got much worse."

Grandmom#1 March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Day 2 three tablet's down about to take my second one and last one for the day. I'm a anxious person generally so of course I looked up the side effects... The ones I've experienced are extreme nausea... bloating,gas,feverish,dizziness,hot n cold sweats. But only 3 tablet's in and it's helping a lot with the pain in the kidneys on n off though. Got to say the nausea is the worst part I'm practically bed bound. Most of this is probably due to how bad my infection but it got worse after taken ciprofloxacin"

Em9333333 March 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Second time I am taking this. I am on day 4 of a 5-day prescription. The only side effect I seem to have is an occasional kidney spasm on the right, but who is to say that the medication is causing it? The only thing I would say is that you should always eat something prior to taking your dosage. I forgot once and had a stomach ache for about 30 minutes. I think many people imagine some side effects because they read forums like this and then imagine every little itch is a side effect and they become paranoid. I believe this is a good fast acting medication and I have had no yeast infections from this either, when almost every other antibiotic I have taken did result in yeast infections. I guess I am lucky."

groot77 January 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was rushed to the emergency room with a Kidney Infection and I was prescribed this to help treat the Urinary Tract Infection, the worst part was definitely the side effects, I've had extreme nausea and bloating pains, they have been unbearable. I must say the medicine really works! After I finished my antibiotics it was completely gone - I was more than surprised, I still have some side effects now (I got off medicine two days ago) but they aren't as severe as before. If you're up for the task definitely take it because it works just some obstacles in the process"

JesseJJjj January 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I doubt that people on here will know that I am writing to them, but all of them need to seek holistic treatment for their chronic UTI/kidney problems quickly. There is an underlying problem causing urinary infections, possibly an auto immune disease. I know I have had similar issues. I found a holistic chiropractor who has better understanding of how the body all works together, so a rash on your arm might mean a depleted immunity. There are numerous treatments for UTIs that are available at natural sites, such as silver. Mainstream medicine will never find the cause of your problems. It will only treat your symptoms with dangerous drugs."

SusanGeoria (taken for less than 1 month) December 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am taking this medicine for a bladder infection which I have quite often. it wasn't prescribed to me by my doctor who usually prescribes (Pinamox) which by the way gives me gives zero side effects. Straight away after I took the first dose which was 500mg I was feeling very dizzy and nauseous. I thought I could put up with that feeling but I'm now on day2, I could barely get out of bed from nausea in the morning but managed to get myself together but felt all day like I was about to collapse with severe joint pains and headache which got even worse. I went to bed but when I did it felt like I was literally drunk and kept vomiting all night. I won't take the next dose or ever take this medicine again as it feels like taking poison."

Betty_boop (taken for less than 1 month) October 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I took Cipro having suffered a UTI from the Mirena Coil that wouldn't clear. As with all medications the side affects depending on the individual can be horrendous. I suffered swellings, hives, a horrendous red rash on both under arms that left my skin damaged. The next side affect was tendonitis in both my ankles that left me unable to walk. I was told that the tablet reacted to the sun Id factor 50 just sitting on the patio for a half an hour and got burned. A nightmare"

Morelanddylan (taken for less than 1 month) October 2, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I'm no stranger to antibiotics. I've taken many different kinds. I've had side effects to them all, but Cipro was absolutely the worst. I was prescribed 500 mg twice daily for a kidney infection (klebsiella). I could not get passed 3 days. My tendons and joints hurt so bad. I can barely walk as of this morning. I'm terrified it may be permanent. It worked against the infection, but destroyed my joints. Please, get a urine culture and see what antibiotics your bacteria will respond to and choose anything but Cipro or any other fluoroqinolones. These side effects can be permanent, or at least last a long time, maybe even a year!"

Michelleagain (taken for less than 1 month) September 6, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed cipro as a precaution do to a kidney blockage I have. I can't say how effective it is, because I dont have an infection. I just wanted to comment on side effects. I did not have any side effects at all that I'm aware of. I'm extremely sensitive to everything! This hasn't seemed to bother me at all. Then again, I'm only on a 5 day treatment plan."

VKB (taken for less than 1 month) August 10, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed cipro for my bad kidney infection about 2 days ago so I am still currently taking this drug. The bad part for me is the SIDE EFFECTS. Oh my! My dreams have been soo vivid that I hate sleeping. Like I literally start dreaming before Im even asleep I was starting to think I was loosing my mind! I feel like im in a cloud or something :-( I dont think i can take it!"

Chloe Phoenix July 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I took Cipro for a UTI. Within 3 doses (1.5 days) I went from walking fine, to having severe pain in my left knee and having to limp. The pain got worse. Finally, I researched Cipro's side effects and found out that it can cause severe damage to tendons. I stopped the medication, but the damage was already done. A year later I had to have surgery to repair some of the damage. Since then I have read other horror cases like mine. Cipro seems to find a weak tendon and strike at it. I will never take this drug again."

Leasey (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was nervous to take Cipro because I had made the mistake of reading online reviews. To people like me who get anxiety about medication: just think, people who willingly write a review online about medication probably had an extreme or unpleasant experience, but that does not make them the majority. I'm a petite woman that was prescribed 500 mg two times a day for a week. The first time I took the pill I felt a bit lightheaded and woke up a tad nauseous. However, I was not on a full stomach (too nauseous to eat with my kidney infection) and I made the mistake of not drinking a full glass of water with the pill. As long as you do those things and avoid dairy (among other things like NSAIDs, etc) you'll be fine. Feeling much better now"

ATCCAL March 15, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a kidney infection & my Doctor prescribed Ciprofloxacin for 3 days and boy, the infection is gone but the side effects are just so intense! I had throbbing headaches. I couldn't think straight. Got a major fever, my face turned red. I was so miserable. The drug definitely got rid of the infection but fair warning: it was as if I had a bad acid trip."

Jackie from Toronto (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Got diagnosed with my third kidney infection in two months, nothing seems to make it go away. Have been taking 500mg twice a day for 3 days now and I still have pain in my side, and the side effects are nasty. Bad nausea, acid reflux and dizziness is making me have to sleep with a bowl next to my bed. But hey ho if it works it's a small price to pay. Not impressed right now though"

Rae97 January 5, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I cannot work anymore. The pain in my feet and especially my heel is excruciating. I get dizzy spells. I have constant headaches. I get dizzy. My vision is cloudy on occasions. I have a flash of light in the right corner of my eye when I look far right then start to look left. I can no longer work. I can't hardly walk. I used to do heavy labor type jobs like carrying 80 pound bags of salt. My life is pretty much gone. I feel worthless because I can no longer work. God have mercy on the people who gave me this medicine."

Bartholomewwongmail December 30, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on an antibiotic while waiting for my urine culture to come back, and the day after I finished that course of antibiotics I was put on Cipro, as the bacteria was not sensitive to the previous antibiotic. I have only taken 2 Cipro(last night and this morning) but I've had to stop taking them as my wrist is swollen to nearly twice its normal size and I have almost intense pain."

Kattttt December 24, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had to go to the ER cuz it was so bad. They gave me cipro and I feel way worse then when I went to emergency. I've Been taking it two days now and the pain on my right side feels like it's on fire. I can't stand up for longer than a few minutes and I've been throwing up every couple of hours. Antibiotics are supposed to make you better not worse"

riley 89 December 7, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This pill cleared up my UTI that had spread to my kidney. However, I had some bad side effects. First off, this pill destroyed my stomach. I had intense pain in my upper abdomen and couldn't eat without terrible indigestion and discomfort. This started immediately after starting the medication and stopped the day my pills ran out. I also had insane dreams, which kept me from sleeping. Very vivid, strange dreams. I'm glad my infection was gone, but I could not wait to stop this medication."

lucy_sea November 18, 2015