User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro I.V., Cipro XR, Proquin XR

Ciprofloxacin Rating Summary

5.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin to treat Bladder Infection

"I’ve had a UTI for the past two weeks now. I was first prescribed macrobid, which didn’t completely get rid of my UTI as I still have urgency and frequency to urinate. I was then prescribed cipro. Didn’t work at all. I have now been prescribed keflex. Fingers crossed."

Leila (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2018

"Severe chronic nerve pain, muscle pain, muscle spasms, muscle weakness, inflammation tendons (tendons proved by MRI)Swelling. Symptoms 7 months and getting worse. Took drug 10 days. Taken drug about 6 times total in 20 years."

mad in the USA (taken for less than 1 month) February 27, 2018

"This drug is so toxic to anyone other than desk jockeys who walk their dog a few blocks for exercise. Cleaning houses for a living isn't an Olympic sport, doesn't even burn a ton of calories. But the tendons around my knees are destroyed from squatting to clean low places. It's that easy to destroy your body on this antibiotic. The week duration I was on it I did half a work load. But no matter, my entire body felt awful and burdened with constant pain. Even if you sit around all day, if this antibiotic makes your body hurt worse than the infection you're fighting, stop it and call your doc. I was on it because the first antibiotic didn't work. So I felt obligated to put up with the havoc my body felt. Don't. Just don't. Make your doc find the other available options. They are out there. This is a strong drug with severe and detrimental side affects ."

41female (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2018

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I rate it 6 put of 10."

Nuuraa (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2017

"DANGEROUS. Prescribed this for a very painful bladder infection and was given no warnings. I suffered nearly all the side effects (nausea was the worst) but the 500mg every 12 hours only had an effect for about 6 hours, the infection would they return before it was time to take the next dose. Three days of 40degree celsius fevers, being worn down, very little sleep, uncontrollable shaking, twice each day and I was in a bad way. I'm 59 and have taken antibiotics all my life. Yearly in fact until about 25 years ago when I gave up smoking. Since then I have taken antibiotics maybe four times. The last time was about a year ago for a cat bite down to the bone. Don't recall any side effects. I went private yesterday and got the pills changed."

NHS Doc found these on Google December 5, 2017

"POISON....two days on this med & I thought I was going to die. Totally confused, chills, fever ( which didn't have before) extreme ab & flank pain. Sicker than when I started it for a UTI. Caused a gastritis flareup and today I now have upper respiratory infection...... This medicine is AWFUL, ALL PHARMS are killing us"

tiredof pharms !!!! (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2017

"About 6 hours after my first dose, I developed a rash on my torso, back and front. Also from my armpits to my wrists. My ears were ringing and I was drowsy. This morning my skin is red, itchy and burning as if I have a sunburn. I am NOT continuing to take the rest of it, as I'm allergic WILL NOT ever take again, and will discourage others from doing so. Have called physician to change medication."

MaGer November 25, 2017

"Only took one 500mg cipro tab, felt weird and drowsy, fell asleep. My gut instinct told me this drug isn't right. After reading of the devastating impact it has had on so many, I'm not taking anymore! Thank goodness for your posts. My legs do feel bit numb thats after taking one tablet! Also I felt sick briefly and hot flush in heart and head. I will try cranberry juice :) Failing that I will try another antibiotic not from this class."

MScMD (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2017

"Excellent stuff! Suffered for a few weeks and Cipro fixed with results seen as soon as only one day. Lower back pain also gone. A wonder drug!"

jamezers123 September 21, 2017

"Caused severe stomach pain. And have nausea and hemmoroids ongoing. Try something else."

AdyH September 15, 2017

"This drug is very dangerous too many and should only be used when there are no other options. I took it several times for back to back UTI's. It caused tremors, insomnia, burning, tingling, numbness and severe muscle twitching in my legs. These symptoms lasted for months!!!!"

Cindymer (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

"Hi! So I went to the doctor after 10 days of a terrible UTI. Baking soda, AZO and the generic version, cranberry tablets and juice, lots of water, applied heat and NOTHING helped. My doctor started me on Bactria DS which after 7 days of taking this we discovered I was allergic to the antibiotic so for that week it wasn't helping. My body was rejecting it. I was constipated for 2 weeks, throwing up and broke out with a chest rash. My UTI felt like it was getting worse and like it would never end. I got a culture done at the doctors my second visit and I was put on Cirpofloaxin for 10 days. After the 2nd pill I felt immediate relief. I'm still taking them but on day 4 it was completely gone. $4 later, Im better! :)"

Hannah1405 August 24, 2017

"Earlier uses were no trouble and worked. The problem is that it depletes your system of magnesium and then your tendons just shred. The effect is cumulative, the more often you take it the more likely it is to hurt you. Be very careful and only take when there isn't an alternative. I have been suffering for three months from the damage it did and it didn't cure the UTI."

Triggs (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Cipro is a Fluoroqunilone. The FDA has issued a Black Box Warning -- the most severe warning it can issue -- on all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics because they cause so many horrible, longterm side effects (like permanent tendonitis on multiple parts of the body) that may take years to come to light."

TPera (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

"Great stuff. And for those who have had issues with it...guess what..your system is different than mine. That's all. So don't go telling folks it sucks. A Tesla won't run on gasoline, but that doesn't mean gasoline doesn't work."

Jesse is me June 25, 2017

"Would never take this drug again as I have lost the hearing in my "good" ear after the 3rd dose. Will I recover my hearing as at the moment my consultant now classes me as profoundly deaf."

Bobthebooter May 13, 2017

"My 3rd day on cipro without hardly any effect. I'm in pain 24/7 like a period. Ready to consult a doctor again. I was in the ER the 6th of May. Still lots of pain. Plus I have stomach issues. No appetite. My entire abdominal area hurts. Nausea."

JRose63 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Burning sensation when I pee meant a trip to the Dr. The doctor prescribed Cipro 500mg twice daily for one week. Cleared up the problem quickly."

Anon9696 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2017

"I was prescribed cipro after the first antibiotic didn't completely work for a UTI. STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!!! POISON PLEASE GOOGLE what has happened to people who have taken this horrible drug that the FDA finally gave it a black box warning. I have pain in my hips, shoulders and arms b/c of this drug"

suzi be gone April 24, 2017

"Have an acute UTI which comes on very very quickly, so have to go to A & E, for intravenous anti biotics. This is the 3rd infection in 3 months but the hospital keep prescribing Ciprofloxacin 500 mgs, fine for a short while, but the infection starts again, with lots of blood in my urine. I experience dizziness, nausea and some pain. This time, along with the Cipro, I've been prescribed Naproxen. Have an appointment with a urologist soon and hoping he will prescribe something different and that works. My life is on hold at the moment and totally fed up"

Hovis2 April 22, 2017

"Bladder / body infection. Groin swelling and abdominal pain. Prescribed two weeks dosage which cleared symptoms. Ok for one after. Then infection came back. This time same symptoms but now spread to kidney pain also causing lower back pain Re-prescribed further dosage, this time for 4 weeks. Further checks to be done, i.e. Scan & blood test booked. Meanwhile within two weeks, all symptoms now gone again 100%. But carrying on to complete dosage for further two weeks. Final diagnosis likely cause originated from UTI -Urinary tract Infection. I consider this medicine to be suitable but deems to be only of a Mild strength. There were No side effects. And I am generally always very fit never getting any illness's apart from common colds."

Man47 April 15, 2017

"End result of two C-sections and a hysterectomy is susceptibility to bladder infections after drinking too much coffee, caffeine or after sex. So I've tried many different remedies, one of which is taking Cipro. The antibiotic works to clear the infection BUT, the horrible yeast infections are unfathomable! I'd rather take more of another antibiotic than deal with the yeast infection which lingers for weeks. Now I have to get an anti fungal to clear up the itching, burning and discharge associated with taking the Cipro. Ugh!"

Tired of side effect April 15, 2017

"On holiday in Florida (from Canada) and got UTI after many years with no problems. Cipro was prescribed and although it has helped, the side effects are almost unbearable! My joints ache, I'm dizzy and nauseous, can't get to sleep and had terrible abdominal and vaginal pain. Also you can't have dairy or any vitamins 2 hours before to 4 hours after taking the meds. If this had been my family doctor instead of the doctor's PA at the walk-in clinic I'd certainly give him an earful!! I'm only half way through the course of meds (required a full 10 days) and will make note of this medicine so that I will NEVER take it again!"

snowbird7751 March 8, 2017

"I'm taking Novo Cipro for a bladder/kidney infection. I have to take 1 pill, twice a day, 12 hours apart. I think it's working because when I went to the hospital and got diagnosed I could barely walk. 5 days later, I'm fully upright again. & I think I can thank the Cipro & my hot water bag for that! However, there are so many side effects. When I'm not keeling over from the pain from my bladder infection, the abdominal pains set in. I also have a terrible cramp/swelling in my left wrist & arm. The first 3-4 days on this medication, I was exhausted. I could not stay awake for the life of me. My back was hurting, my whole body felt sore. I had a fever, cold sweats at night & migraines!! Terrible migraines!!"

Eliiii December 20, 2016

"Prescribed 7 day treatment for UTI, (2x/day), of Ciprofloxacin 500mg, two months after 6 week course of BCG infusions for bladder cancer. Only took 11 pills then stopped because of warnings of possible side effects. Then about two weeks after that, started to have pains in right side around right kidney area. Now this week my left side kidney area is aching. Dr. is out of town 'til Monday the 28th of Nov."

Gliderbill November 27, 2016