User Reviews for Ciprofloxacin

Also known as: Cipro, Cipro Cystitis Pack, Cipro I.V., Cipro XR, Proquin XR

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Ciprofloxacin.

Ciprofloxacin Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 92 medications used in the treatment of Bladder Infection.

Reviews for Ciprofloxacin to treat Bladder Infection

"Only took one 500mg cipro tab, felt weird and drowsy, fell asleep. My gut instinct told me this drug isn't right. After reading of the devastating impact it has had on so many, I'm not taking anymore! Thank goodness for your posts. My legs do feel bit numb thats after taking one tablet! Also I felt sick briefly and hot flush in heart and head. I will try cranberry juice :) Failing that I will try another antibiotic not from this class."

MScMD (taken for less than 1 month) October 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Excellent stuff! Suffered for a few weeks and Cipro fixed with results seen as soon as only one day. Lower back pain also gone. A wonder drug!"

jamezers123 September 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Caused severe stomach pain. And have nausea and hemmoroids ongoing. Try something else."

AdyH September 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This drug is very dangerous too many and should only be used when there are no other options. I took it several times for back to back UTI's. It caused tremors, insomnia, burning, tingling, numbness and severe muscle twitching in my legs. These symptoms lasted for months!!!!"

Cindymer (taken for less than 1 month) September 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi! So I went to the doctor after 10 days of a terrible UTI. Baking soda, AZO and the generic version, cranberry tablets and juice, lots of water, applied heat and NOTHING helped. My doctor started me on Bactria DS which after 7 days of taking this we discovered I was allergic to the antibiotic so for that week it wasn't helping. My body was rejecting it. I was constipated for 2 weeks, throwing up and broke out with a chest rash. My UTI felt like it was getting worse and like it would never end. I got a culture done at the doctors my second visit and I was put on Cirpofloaxin for 10 days. After the 2nd pill I felt immediate relief. I'm still taking them but on day 4 it was completely gone. $4 later, Im better! :)"

Hannah1405 August 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Earlier uses were no trouble and worked. The problem is that it depletes your system of magnesium and then your tendons just shred. The effect is cumulative, the more often you take it the more likely it is to hurt you. Be very careful and only take when there isn't an alternative. I have been suffering for three months from the damage it did and it didn't cure the UTI."

Triggs (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Cipro is a Fluoroqunilone. The FDA has issued a Black Box Warning -- the most severe warning it can issue -- on all Fluoroquinolone antibiotics because they cause so many horrible, longterm side effects (like permanent tendonitis on multiple parts of the body) that may take years to come to light."

TPera (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great stuff. And for those who have had issues with it...guess what..your system is different than mine. That's all. So don't go telling folks it sucks. A Tesla won't run on gasoline, but that doesn't mean gasoline doesn't work."

Jesse is me June 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Would never take this drug again as I have lost the hearing in my "good" ear after the 3rd dose. Will I recover my hearing as at the moment my consultant now classes me as profoundly deaf."

Bobthebooter May 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My 3rd day on cipro without hardly any effect. I'm in pain 24/7 like a period. Ready to consult a doctor again. I was in the ER the 6th of May. Still lots of pain. Plus I have stomach issues. No appetite. My entire abdominal area hurts. Nausea."

JRose63 (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "Burning sensation when I pee meant a trip to the Dr. The doctor prescribed Cipro 500mg twice daily for one week. Cleared up the problem quickly."

Anon9696 (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed cipro after the first antibiotic didn't completely work for a UTI. STAY AWAY FROM THIS DRUG!!!! POISON PLEASE GOOGLE what has happened to people who have taken this horrible drug that the FDA finally gave it a black box warning. I have pain in my hips, shoulders and arms b/c of this drug"

suzi be gone April 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have an acute UTI which comes on very very quickly, so have to go to A & E, for intravenous anti biotics. This is the 3rd infection in 3 months but the hospital keep prescribing Ciprofloxacin 500 mgs, fine for a short while, but the infection starts again, with lots of blood in my urine. I experience dizziness, nausea and some pain. This time, along with the Cipro, I've been prescribed Naproxen. Have an appointment with a urologist soon and hoping he will prescribe something different and that works. My life is on hold at the moment and totally fed up"

Hovis2 April 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Bladder / body infection. Groin swelling and abdominal pain. Prescribed two weeks dosage which cleared symptoms. Ok for one after. Then infection came back. This time same symptoms but now spread to kidney pain also causing lower back pain Re-prescribed further dosage, this time for 4 weeks. Further checks to be done, i.e. Scan & blood test booked. Meanwhile within two weeks, all symptoms now gone again 100%. But carrying on to complete dosage for further two weeks. Final diagnosis likely cause originated from UTI -Urinary tract Infection. I consider this medicine to be suitable but deems to be only of a Mild strength. There were No side effects. And I am generally always very fit never getting any illness's apart from common colds."

Man47 April 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"End result of two C-sections and a hysterectomy is susceptibility to bladder infections after drinking too much coffee, caffeine or after sex. So I've tried many different remedies, one of which is taking Cipro. The antibiotic works to clear the infection BUT, the horrible yeast infections are unfathomable! I'd rather take more of another antibiotic than deal with the yeast infection which lingers for weeks. Now I have to get an anti fungal to clear up the itching, burning and discharge associated with taking the Cipro. Ugh!"

Tired of side effect April 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"On holiday in Florida (from Canada) and got UTI after many years with no problems. Cipro was prescribed and although it has helped, the side effects are almost unbearable! My joints ache, I'm dizzy and nauseous, can't get to sleep and had terrible abdominal and vaginal pain. Also you can't have dairy or any vitamins 2 hours before to 4 hours after taking the meds. If this had been my family doctor instead of the doctor's PA at the walk-in clinic I'd certainly give him an earful!! I'm only half way through the course of meds (required a full 10 days) and will make note of this medicine so that I will NEVER take it again!"

snowbird7751 March 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm taking Novo Cipro for a bladder/kidney infection. I have to take 1 pill, twice a day, 12 hours apart. I think it's working because when I went to the hospital and got diagnosed I could barely walk. 5 days later, I'm fully upright again. & I think I can thank the Cipro & my hot water bag for that! However, there are so many side effects. When I'm not keeling over from the pain from my bladder infection, the abdominal pains set in. I also have a terrible cramp/swelling in my left wrist & arm. The first 3-4 days on this medication, I was exhausted. I could not stay awake for the life of me. My back was hurting, my whole body felt sore. I had a fever, cold sweats at night & migraines!! Terrible migraines!!"

Eliiii December 20, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Prescribed 7 day treatment for UTI, (2x/day), of Ciprofloxacin 500mg, two months after 6 week course of BCG infusions for bladder cancer. Only took 11 pills then stopped because of warnings of possible side effects. Then about two weeks after that, started to have pains in right side around right kidney area. Now this week my left side kidney area is aching. Dr. is out of town 'til Monday the 28th of Nov."

Gliderbill November 27, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"8 years ago I had a UTI so bad the 1st round of antibiotics didnt work & that became apparent when blood in my urine was visible to me at home & still in a world of pain. Fortunately they took a culture my 1st visit to discover the bacteria I had would not be killed by what was perscribed....no duh! So they gave me Cipro & within an hour I felt relief. Fast forward 8 years, same situation but exasperated by too much sirracha (chilli sauce), I woke up with pains of a bad UTI. Ran to the doc, I had been drinking too much water for them to detect leukocytes & nitrates but detected blood and sent the culture to the lab. She prophylacticly perscribed Cipro & UTI was gone. I noticed little side effects, maybe some light headedness & tireness but thats about it."

Uti no more.... (taken for less than 1 month) November 12, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have had a lot of bladder infections years ago from pregnancies but haven't had one in 4/5 years. The few days ago noticed the symptoms, went to the doc and he prescribed me this. I've always been prescribed amoxacilin and it's worked great. This time he prescribed this because of my history. Took my 1st pill today and within 30 mins started to feel faint, weak and outer body experience. I was at home by myself with my 8 month old baby so I immediately got in the car, drove to the local hospital which is conveniently only 5 mins away and sat in the parking lot. Started to feel better but still not 100%. Called a nurse I know who said i'll be fine but get a diff prescription. I'm going to try taking half for my 2ND dose or else i'll stop"

Crystal from Canada (taken for less than 1 month) October 28, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Had a bladder infection for over 2 weeks before doctors found the tablets i was on were the wrong ones for my infection, as a UTI takes many forms. You must not drink milk or have anything dairy for 2 hours before hand and 2 hours after taking the tablet. If you drink coffee or tea you must drink the same amount in water afterwards. Not had any side effects following these rules to a T. Been told that I need to drink water after every coffee or tea I have now as it's pointing to me damaging my kidneys because there is blood in the urine, i must follow this for the rest of my life if i want to keep fit. I live in the UK. The test the hospital did on my urine sample, showed I was on the wrong treatment as it wouldn't kill that particular bacteria"

Wemmoss (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've given bad reviews on drugs with awful side effects but I must say this one worked very well for me . Had a very bad bladder/prostate infection with cloudy urine . Had a misdiagnosis so the infection actually festered for 4 months . Body temperature rose and chills set in two hours after taking the first dose . This lasted for 4 days as my body ( antibiotics ) fought the infection . By day 5 was feeling much better . By day 7 best I'd felt in many months . By day 10 urine was totally clear , no more pain , normal urine volume and totally back to normal . What a relief . Benefits far outweigh some minor side effects ( first day some minor dizziness , Little bit of " brain fog " first few days ) 500mg x 2 for 14 days ..................."

cazzilo (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I caught a urinary tract infection after being sick from stomach flu / virus and was prescribed cipro (500 m). After one pill in the evening, I became tired, went to bed and woke up anxious, depressed, restless, with loss of balance. I've had antibiotics (amoxacillin i think) once in the past, but never had anything like this kind of reaction. Waiting for a call from my doctor for a different medicine."

guest345 October 6, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Cipro for 5 days. It made me sick! I nausea, body aches, chills, diahrea, head aches, dizziness! My uti is gone. i took the last pill 2 days ago and the drug hasnt completely left my body yet! Im not taking cipro ever again!"

Renck September 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Cipro (ciprofloxacin): "I took Cipro for only three days for a bladder infection. I was left with ankle/tendon pain and diahrrea for three months. I had no clue what was happening to me. Turns out lots have had the same reaction to this class of antibiotic."

Anonymous July 14, 2016