User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Dissociative Identity Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 0 medications

Body Dysmorphic Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Sertraline reviews 1745 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Sertraline

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "I was prescribed Zoloft 25mg a day for Depression and Anxiety/panic attacks. I was also having severe insomnia at the time and really bad anger problems. From the first day I took Zoloft, my anger almost completely went away. I wasn't upset by things that normally annoyed me anymore. Another plus I noticed almost immediately was the lift in mood. I had great success raising my mood and lifting depression in the first few weeks of this drug. However I stopped taking Zoloft after 4 weeks because the negatives were far outweighing the positives. My insomnia and panic attacks got WAY worse, it was horrifying. I went to the ER because I had the worse panic of my life and thought I was dying. Sleep was impossible. Now I'm trying Remeron."

klee979 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "Let me start by saying I should have started on this medication years ago. I'm a Senior Executive with a large company who travels and gives seminars to other execs. In the past I would painfully count down the days to my next seminar, each day the panic and anxiety would become progressively worse. My Dr. prescribed me Propranolol to take 60 minutes before each speaking engagement, this helped at that moment, but it was the time leading up to each engagement that was so harrowing for me. 6 months ago my Dr. prescribed 25 mgs Sertaline, this has been a game changer.I now look forward with great anticipation to each speaking engagement. I have found 25 mgs is perfect for my needs, no reason to make the jump to 50mgs. Good luck to all!"

Luckyman88 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am prescribed generic Zoloft (Sertraline) 50mg once a day for anxiety and depression. I am sensitive to drugs so I only take half, 25mg. Since I've been on it, I've only had one or two mild panic attacks over the course of 2 years! I was having attacks 3x a week or more before taking it. It helped reduce compulsive behaviors and definitely helped my social anxiety issues IMMENSELY. Before Sertraline, I felt like I couldn't even act normal in public. For me, there is a mental as well as a physical effect. Even being in public spaces where I would normally be incredibly anxious, I feel physically better, smoother. The only side effect was a light headache that only lasted the first week. I would definitely recommend starting on a low dose!"

Elizabeth Knox April 22, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I have been on Zoloft for about 10 weeks. 25mg the first week, 50mg a day thereafter. At week 6 I still felt lousy with depression and extreme anxiety. I did not have any side effects at all though. Then magically after the 6 week mark I overnite transformed into a social butterfly, could connect with people, had better concentration, no panic attacks at all after years of attacks, nothing was any trouble for me whereas before it was all so hard, the depression was gone and I actually felt happier than I have been since I was 20. I am 58 now. I also am physically much better than before. People have really noticed a difference and so have I. It is the best thing that ever happened to me and I wish I had been on it 30 years ago."

Babsical April 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was originally worried about taking sertraline as my friend had been taking them and suffered really bad side effects. The first few days were rough, I felt very tired, sick and dizzy, much like a bad hangover. But over time I have found sertraline to be really helpful. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night having a panic attack, and when I think about the stresses in my life I no longer obsess and worry over them. I'm currently on 150mg and they do make me very sleepy after the first few hours of taking them so I find that for me it is best to take them before bed! Don't be scared to try this medication! If you do have any side effects at first don't be put off, it will get better!!"

Clo95 April 21, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have never felt normal all my life I have suffered problems with stress (frustration) depression anxiety been prescribed prozac no effect citalopram no effect spent most of my life self medicating with alcohol & drugs which have caused other problems in my life. Recently my doctor prescribed sertraline 100mg after a few weeks the difference was nothing short of transformational for the fist time I feel normal wish they could have given this to me at about when I was 12. Side affects for me is I no longer like beer! and for the first time I am eating healthy a true revelation"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "First week was hell, I was about to give up. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud and found it hard to fall back asleep once I awoke. I soon realised if I did not drink any alcohol with the drug I slept to well. My mood is better and I 100% less anxious than before. I only take 25mg as I found 50mg too much. I have been on this now for 5 months and wish I had taken it years ago. Only side effect I do not enjoy is slight weight gain. 6lbs so far but it is worth it."

Homesafe (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been taking sertraline for many years. It was prescribed to relieve my levels of anxiety. Considerably, it helped, however due to the fact that I have been taking for so many years, my dr decided to increase the dosage to 200mg and presently he prescribed oxcarbazepine 150mg. Although sertraline helps me to control my anxiety, an additional increment was needed. While I don't take sertraline can feel the side effects such as dizziness and nausea. It is a good psychotropic medication, however after a while it seems that mg has to be increased. Hoping this would help me to decrease my anxiety and moderate depression."

LAlberti April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "I have Bipolar I with severe depressive episodes lasting up to 16 months. Zoloft was a last ditch effort to improve my depression; I was formerly on Luvox and found it too sedating and less effective after being on it for over a decade. So far, I have had 15 days without severe depression after being on Zoloft for one month. I think it's working. I am tired but I am not sure if that is the Zoloft or something else as I am on several medications for psychiatric problems."

Liz89 April 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "My Dr. prescribed sertraline to manage my OCD and anxiety. I'm a 35 y/o grad student with test anxiety and my OCD has been getting worse over the years. The first day I felt slightly better but the medication made me yawn a lot. After talking it I pulled an all-nighter to study for an exam. After the exam I figured I would go home and sleep but as tired as I was, I couldn't fall asleep. On night two I tossed and turned all night. On day three my skin felt too tight and I felt like I needed to stretch out my jaw and neck all day. On night three I couldn't fall asleep at all and had a weird experience like my body was awake but I couldn't move or yell for help. It was horrible. After I told my dr. she took me off of it."

Ali glycine max April 18, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on this medication for 7 days. I had severe anxiety, which has completely gone, although I feel slightly sad."

Clare12244 April 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "My experience with Sertraline has been an interesting one. It started off badly. One of the side effects seems to be enhanced anxiety levels. I also became increasingly depressed and struggled communicating at times. I had disturbed sleep patterns and constantly racing negative thoughts. It was tough. I had read up on the subject though and understood that this was only temporary and battled through it. There were times that I nearly gave up. Times when it all seemed too much. Slowly, but surely, things started to improve. The first two weeks were hell, the third week became hellish and the fourth less so. After 6 weeks my smile had returned, I was able to tackle the world and confidence began to flow. It's been a life changer / saver."

Straightened Out (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I have had what I see as pretty bad social anxiety, to the point where I look back and realize how much life I have missed out on. It took me a while to actually become aware of it, but for some time now I have been dwelling on it since it makes it super hard to make friends. So, I usually see myself as not having very effective medications (such as SSRIs) for depression/anxiety etc. Either that, or it's hard to notice improvement. I specifically wanted to go on a medication for my social anxiety so my doctor ended up putting me on zoloft and I love it...I can actually see improvement and I have even made a friend. It's to the point where I feel like I can notice myself being more anxious when I forget to take it at the beginning of the day"

tayyy321 April 17, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Panic Disorder: "I took sertraline (zoloft) for 4 days before quitting it. The first day I felt very tired and slightly nauseous. After that I was having very loose stools, headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, and overall sense of just not being myself. Today I had my first full blown panic attack in almost 2 years (I've been on clonazepam since my last panic attack). I know people always say to keep pushing through the side effects but I couldn't. I had to leave work and I went home and cried for hours. I felt like a complete zombie for the last 3 days. Obviously this drug effects everyone differently but for me, it was absolute hell. :("

sambam97 April 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "My doctor started me out on 25 mg a day for a week, then 50mg a day after that. The first 3 weeks were not good-- symptoms became somewhat worse. However I had read enough reviews to understand that I need to stick with it. After the 4th week I could tell I was not nearly as anxious and worrisome but still didn't feel 100%. My doc upped the dosage to 100mg a day and it's the perfect dose for me. Stay with this drug! It has really helped me! At first I had diarrhea for a few days, but that's gone. I yawn even when I'm not tired and catch myself clenching my jaws but I will tolerate that to feel like myself again. Oh, I also had mild depression, which this drug also helped. Hope this helps someone else."

Waybetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "I had depression and anxiety since 2 years . Tried prozac and from 3rd pill it was terrible ! Severe headache ! Changed to zoloft and started increasing dose gradually from 12.5 till 25 then 50 . Noticed improvement in about 1-2 month . I recommend this drug . Tried to stop it 2 month ago and I relapsed so am taking it now again hoping it could work again .. However my insomnia is killing me !!!!"

Anonymous 12345 April 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started at 25mg for a week. I had 2 good days and the other days were from my normal anxiety. I then went up to 50mg and felt not too bad except for days 6 and 7. Had some minor sleep problems but managed to get through. I jumped to 75mg three days ago and now I'm feeling like garbage. My anxiety shot up. I feel depressed. I feel weird. I slept only 3.5 hours the last two nights. My stomach feels empty but I did have breakfast and I'm not hungry. I know I need to give it at least a week or two on the higher dosage but I'm so disappointed and discouraged. I wish I can start feeling better."

PaulMartin16 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: "It's nothing. This did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't even have any side-effects, it was like taking a sugar pill or a placebo."

voskhod (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "Started taking 50mg about 16 weeks ago, although it's doing what it's supposed to I'm still nauseous at least twice a week, I take it in the morning which isn't great as by 2pm I feel very fatigued, also I've been told by close friends I'm not the same person. I'm more relaxed, nothing phases me anymore which isn't great, I've lost my edge, my identity but it has sorted my anxiety and depression and I no longer have suicidal thoughts so I guess it's a good thing."

Vincent1977 April 12, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started on 50mg. The day after my first tablet I felt super nauseous and broke out in a cold sweat and had to lie on the floor, that lasted a few minutes and I felt sick throughout that day. First few nights I struggled to sleep. These symptoms soon went away. I went up to 100mg. The only symptoms I have had throughout taking this medication is night sweats, pretty gross, and it's harder to climax. It took a few weeks, but after being on this medication for nearly a year I can honestly say I'm like a different person, more outgoing and carefree. I don't care what people think of me like I used to constantly. I'm happy in my own skin! I'm scared to come off this medication incase I go back to feeling terrible."

Loopy Lynds April 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started on 25mg for 7 days and had a few good days. Increased to 50mg and have begun yo feel even better. I'm not 100% yet but Zoloft has been the first AD to have a positive effect in such a short time with minimal side effects. I have tried and had awful reactions to Paxil, tritellix, Effexor, Remeron, Trazadone, Wellbutrin. Cipralex worked but pooped after 1.5 years and increasing the dosage did nothing and maybe I was worse. Clonazapam was really awful. Lorazapam worked for isolated anxiety but only made my anxiety even worse after a while due to tolerance and rebound effects. Stay away from benzos but if you have to take them, don't take them more than once or twice over month. I started taking them daily and this was a huge mistake."

FPN (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "I have been on Zoloft for 7 months now and it has really improved my life. The first few weeks were absolutely BRUTAL. Couldn't focus, super dizzy, nausea, more depressed, etc. However, I stuck with it and after about a month, the depression started to get much better. Of course, I still have my days (who doesn't?) but I would highly recommend trying Zoloft if you can get through the first few weeks. It truly has changed my life for the better."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was on Cipralex for 8 months and many other meds. Zoloft is the first one that has given me a positive effect. It's less than 2 weeks but I have been so much better. I started at 25mg for 7 days than 50mg for 5 days. I will go to 75mg this week and hopefully that will give me all I need to be 100%."

PM16 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Depression: "I feel like this medication is hit or miss. It either works really well or not at all. I started at 50mg a day at the beginning of 2015 and slowly increased to 200mg a day. At first I thought I was getting better, but it turns out I was just confusing feeling numb with feeling better. My dr kept increasing the dose but it didn't work and I eventually switched to a different medication. I experienced a few side effects: dry mouth, headaches, dizziness, those ones were manageable. But the sexual dysfunction side effect freaking sucked. I couldn't orgasm at all most of the time and when I could it took almost an hour to get there! Sooo yeah......that might be TMI but whatever. I'm now on bupropion which is working wonders for me!"

georgiaedwards (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

For Bipolar Disorder: "Just recently was diagnosed with bipolar tapered off of paxil to try this oh my I was not myself much worse my mania went through the roof talking very fast spending money without thought impetuous thoughts needed to come off of it after a week"

Angelina0518 April 7, 2017