User Reviews for Sertraline

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Sertraline reviews 7.4 2,607 reviews

Reviews for Sertraline

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 21, 2019

For Depression: "After years on 30mg citalopram for depression, my gp recommended 50mg sertraline. Day 5 and I feel pretty drowsy at times, bit of a dodgy tummy too, feeling brain fog from time to time and also bouts of anxiety. I had initially taken a week off work to deal with the side effects, but will now be extending for another week as work in this mental state isn’t possible. On a positive note, although there have been episodes of anxiety, there are also times I’m feeling more decisive and not worrying so much. Work has been a big problem for me which I hadn’t really realised, until the bouts of clear thoughts - due to sertraline. It’s been quite an epiphany realising this and it’s due to me and my my internal monologue not overthinking or thinking the worst. It’s still early days, and I definitely am feeling some negative side effects, but also positive ones. Going to stick with it and see what happens, will follow up with another review when I'm past the 2 week mark!"

Victoria82 July 21, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I'm on 50mg of sertraline for panic anxiety & low episodes. The first 2 weeks were horrific, I suffered badly with side effects, increased anxiety, foggy, loss of appetite, struggled to leave the house , HOWEVER by the end of the 2nd week things started to improve. HANG IN THERE! Over the next 10 weeks, each week I was gradually getting a little better. Recovery is not lineal so expect to be up & down & do not too hard on yourself. By week 12 I’d say my anxiety had 95% gone but I was left with periods of low mood. Dr suggested I try upping to 100mg I’ve been taking 100mg for just over 2 weeks now, there was fogginess again & a slight increase in anxiety which was hard but at the end of the 2 weeks the fog lifted & I’d say I am feeling better & the increase in dose was totally what I needed. It’s been 14 wks now and I am a different person to where I was at the start. Still get waves of uncomfortable emotions but find meditation, exercise, sleep & good diet help massively!"

GBTL · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2019

For Depression: "I have been on APO-Sertraline 50mg for 4 weeks. I have taken AD in the past on and off for 6 years for depression. This AD had been prescribed mainly for grief-depression with depression too. I found taking it in the morning I could not get motivated I felt sluggish so I changed to taking it at PM time with dinner this has helped. It does not keep me awake I wish it did give me energy but no, so changing the time I take it has helped with getting into my system and help coping with systems. I have felt it has helped me move forward and start to enjoy a bit more of life. I don’t think 100mg would be good as 50mg . It has helped change my life already with exercise. I stopped living basically but it has helped want to give things a go again. Doctor has said she would only like me to stay on for 6 months and re-access. I don’t really want to rely as I have noticed I have put on some weight and skin is not the best with thinning hair. Not sure if the later of 2 effects is from AD or change of life."

Nick · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2019

For Depression: "I had struggled with anxiety for years and it ended with me feeling very hopeless and depressed. The thought of taking a medication to help me really scared me but good lord am I glad I have. I was to the point where I wasn’t taking the steps to help make myself happy, and sertraline (50mg) has helped me bring myself out of the hole and get myself back on track. Please, if you are in the same situation don’t be afraid to take the chance. I hope to get off of it soon and I am more than motivated to try and make my life better, not hopeless and letting everything slip away as I was no more than 2 months ago. It is worth the chance, sending love to everyone who is struggling as I had been."

Lou · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "I started taking this sertraline for my anxiety and low mood I take 50mg for 3 weeks and now taking 100mg for 16 days. Should things be improved by now I’m so tired all day and I get the shakes and get very hot throughout the day my anxiety is still strong stopping me from going places also makes me feel spaced out do the side effects lift at all x"

Lee-Ward · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 20, 2019

For Depression: "This medicine sertraline changed my life for the better. I used to be extremely depressed and angry. Now, I'm happy again. Only thing I don't like about Zoloft is that it's not only decreased my libido, but it's numbed part of my clitoris. "

Been There Done That July 19, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "Sertraline has helped me a lot with anxiety and some moderate depression. If you are very sensitive to SSRI's, like me, increase the dose very slowly to avoid bad side effects. Get the Sertraline liquid 20 mg per millimeter. Use a 1 ml oral syringe and start at 4 or 5 mgs. Increase by 4 or 5 mg every 10 days or so. Be patient, you will adjust and will start feeling better each week. Sensitive people can't take the "recommended" starting dose and increase jumps which is usually starting at 12.5 to 25 mgs and then jump up to 50 mg+. This strategy is from a specialist doctor and will save you a needless suffering and wasted time. You probably will still experience some side effects , but they will be more tolerable by ramping up slowly. Get a genetic test done before you start taking medications. The results will tell you which medications you can metabolize normally and which ones you can't, if any. Gene mutations will cause increased side effects."

Niknak · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 19, 2019

For Depression: "I promised myself I would share my experience with sertaline after googling myself looking for hope when I began taking it. It took at least 8 weeks to fully kick in for me and was a slow and hard process. I took 2 weeks off work initially as it was brutal and I felt worse. Depression for me lifted quicker than the anxiety which got worse, before slowly tapering off. It has completely changed me and my perspective on life. I hung on in there after initially having some good days and then back to awful days, probably some of the worst I have had. Now I feel like I did when I was 20! I am 40! Full of life, pleasure, happiness and enthusiasm, little to no fear or anxiety. It is great. I do still have a few side effects, but so worth it for me. I had completely forgotten what is felt like to be normal/happy "

The Big Australian · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 19, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "It has worked well for me. After years of struggling with depression and talk therapy, I feel calm, confident and above all normal again. I don't intend to go off it anytime soon. There are sexual impacts with it, but they are not universally negative. I've had no issues with going to generic sertraline (Although I am Australian, so I doubt my particular generic brand would be available in North America). Never was a big alcohol drinker, so the interactions I've had with it have been minor."

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month July 19, 2019

For Depression: "I've suffered anxiety for the past 25 years, had a few really bad patches that last a few years really but apart from that I've just lived with it, split from an ex a year ago and last 6 months didn't even recognise myself. I've always said I won't take meds I want to be in control of my own mind but enough is enough, I wanted out of this rut and live life again. I'm on day 9 50mg sertraline. My mood so far has improved by 30% I've still felt slightly anxious in my tummy. What plaques me was the racing thoughts and not being able to what I thought have control over what I think about. These meds have relaxed me enough to be able to think straight. I'm no afraid of my own thoughts nor do I sit and worry when they will happen again. I didn't really have any side effects apart from I do feel medicated but TBH right now I don't care and hoping it fades. Everyone is different but do try these to help. If you have a headache - you don't sit in in pain you take something that helps. Why wouldn't you do the same for depression"

Skizee July 19, 2019

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was on Celexa 40 mg for 10 years. My anxiety was bad and I felt I couldn't recover from a traumatic break up. So the doctor switched me to zoloft 150 mg. I don't feel the anxiety as bad but I'm having intrusive thoughts beyond belief. I'm barely sleeping anymore I lay in bed thinking all night. Today I'm off work and couch ridden, no energy."

Riggsy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 19, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "Was prescribed this drug (rather easily in my opinion) by my GP to treat lifelong anxiety, which was fueling my IBS. After about 6 weeks my mood lifted slightly (no more negative thoughts), but I was shaking like a leaf, and my IBS was worse. This, together with a lack of sex drive and appetite (couldn't eat breakfast for months) forced me to go back to my GP, who recommended taking the tablet every other day instead. Tried that for a while but no change, so came off them all together and now feel fine. Not the drug for me."

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 19, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I am on Zoloft 75 mg and it has really helped me with my PTSD and PTSD related sleep disturbance. It takes the edge off so I’m not in a state of flight/ fight. It helps regulate my emotions. It doesn’t alter me too much at all besides making me happier and more balanced. Things that used to seriously stress me out don’t seem to bother me as much anymore. Only downside is it really affects libido"

Stooooty July 18, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on this for 4 days now! Come off amitripyline after 10 days!! Its been a hell of a ride!! I'm feeling not to bad now but work was a nightmare just wanted to come home and climb into bed!! I hope I feel better tomorrow hehe. I've had insomnia for 2 months going off to sleep not to bad but wake after 3 and a half hours as anxious as anything!! No difference as of yet but will keep you posted!! I'm on 25mg sertraline. Going up to 50m in 3 more days. I'm scared but hopefully will be like most people who been on for over 2 weeks!! Will keep you all posted."

vanchica · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I started having suicidal thoughts very suddenly and out of the blue, accompanied by unstoppable crying. When I saw my doctor, she asked about other symptoms like irritability, weight gain and difficulty meeting goals, doing the basics like keeping the house clean and personal care. ALL of these were issues for me, accruing over a year or longer. I didn't know I had depression, or that I'd had it before. Every crappy thing about my life was related to symptoms of depression. This medication Zoloft took about 8 weeks to work and has been LIFE CHANGING. I've been happy, not cranky, I've started losing weight, tidying up, decorating my home, calling friends again. Thank you to the doctors and researchers responsible, the thoughts have stopped and life is better than ever before."

Peachy · Taken for 2 to 5 years July 16, 2019

For Depression: "I took 50mg for over three years and they were the best three years of my life. Due to some weight gain and I guess curiosity as to whether I could manage without them I tapered off. After a few months although over a stone in weight had fallen off me, I was becoming increasingly irritable, emotional and dark thoughts returned. After this triggered several nights of no sleep whatsoever, I recognised the signs and began taking Sertraline again. I had forgotten how brutal the initial side effects were, I basically did not sleep for around 2 weeks, felt more depressed and anxious than before and generally like I’d been hit by a train. I also felt they were taking longer to work than last time and I despaired wondering if they would work again. But of course they did, I am in week 5 now, back to sleeping like a baby and feel actually happy and able to cope with my life. It’s a Wonder drug, I cannot explain how much Sertraline has changed my life! I will never stop taking it."

Duff · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "Hi .. I started on this 7 weeks ago . I first started on 50mg. The side effects were horrific for 10days. I had constant pain in my teeth and jaw I really couldn't cope. Migraines constant nausea. But then it went away. Please hang on in there, I feel great. Yes I still have wobbly days but my anxiety my stress is easier to cope with. I'm back to myself. I'm happy I can function again. I'm now on 100mg and it has honest my been the hardest thing to do to ask for medication but the best thing I have done. Please give them a chance they do help."

Sam · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 16, 2019

For Depression: "I have been taken sertraline for over 4 months now. I had originally started off on 50mg however due to my anxiety and depression I am now on 150mg. I find the fatigue sweats and feeling like someone else awful..I know it's helping just have to persevere and keep taking it as I know and hope to be myself again and not have to be dependent on medication.. Sending all my prayers to anyone suffering god bless"

berry · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 15, 2019

For Depression: "First AD I tried, I was on it for about 3 months and the side effects were just awful and it had barely any impact on my mood. Started on 50mg then upped to 100mg. I had nausea that did eventually go away but what stuck around was extreme fatigue (on 100mg I was unable to stay conscious for more than 2/3 hours at a time), teeth grinding, loss of genital sensation and anorgasmia, tremors, blurry vision, and a constant 'checked out' feeling. It did slightly curb the suicidality but the sides made me even less functional than I was before- horrible drug for me."

Ouji · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 15, 2019

For Depression: "8 years on Sertraline 100-200mg. Takes the edge off but really is prescribed by GPs as an easy fix. Taking this kind of low dose only makes me tired, which in turn, adds to the cycle. Good for mild issues but for those who say they are taking 50mgs, might be better to take the first steps of diet, exercise and sunlight."

Lauren Anne July 15, 2019

For Depression: "Hi, I’ve been prescribed Sertraline for anxiety and depression! I’m so scared to take it it’s been in my draw for a month! Just looking for some advice on the medication and if it’s helped anyone on here? I’m not in a good place, can’t go far from home without a panic attack and have episodes where I just sit and cry?!"

MFL · Taken for 1 to 2 years July 15, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for : "Zoloft literally saved my life. It is not a "magic pill" though. It will suppress your negative emotions, boost your focus, and greatly alleviate your anxiety. However, you need to work with it. You need to maintain your sleeping patterns and follow up with your therapist."

Lindsey July 14, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I was prescribed this medication almost 4 weeks ago after having a breakdown. I was prescribed this in liquid form and, after doing my homework here and reading reviews, I was more in control of how much I took to wean myself onto it. I was told to take 50mg but after seeing how many people struggled with the side effects, I started on 12.5mg for the first 3 days, then doubled it and so on. I seem to have skipped any side effects everyone else is suffering. Insomnia was one of my previous problems and knowing this was a side effect was worrying considering my job but I’ve had no problems at all in this respect. I was obviously desperate for these to work and to ride it out but it seems taking a tiny bit at a time for 3 days each measure, really worked. I would definitely recommend this. I’m just starting to feel like I’m coming out of the other side, rock bottom, in the basement, has risen a level. Hang in there if you’re taking this and start by 1/4 measure to wean yourself"

Tam · Taken for less than 1 month July 14, 2019

For Panic Disorder: "I've been taking this sertraline for two weeks and get awful cold sweats through much of the day along with awful anxiety. I'm wondering if this will pass and whether I should persist with this. Does it get any better?"

We're.in.this.together · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 14, 2019

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "(Week 1-2) during this time on sertraline I have experienced a lot of side effects they included: Lack of Energy, Sometimes felt I had too much energy, Nausea, Worsening Depression, Lack of appetite, Diarrhea, These are the only symptoms l myself have experienced so far. But after those two weeks on sertraline they've either totally vanished or decreased dramatically. My appetite is back 100%, I get way better sleep, I only feel nausea when I take it without eating, my depression is surely fading, I haven't had another hallucination after the first one, the diarrhea is still there but there its calmed. I feel much better now that the symptoms went away like the Doctor said. (Week 2-4) I still feel very anxious (shakey feeling) at times but I notice my negative thoughts pop up less frequently - they're still there trust me..but my mind doesn't really focus on them as much as it does and let's them just float along which allows me to get out more and gain more confidence in social situations."

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)