User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Dissociative Identity Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

5.5
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Summary of Sertraline reviews 1953 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Sertraline

For Anxiety and Stress: "First went on sertraline in January this year for panic, depression and anxiety. Absolutely freaked myself out with side effects, convinced I had it all. After two weeks things drastically improved and then life was good but stupidly I weened myself off in July and recently all the bad feelings came back. It’s day 7 now on 50mg and I’m still panicky and obsessed with joe j feel. I must admit though, that I do trust in these pills and can’t wait for them to kick in again"

Nikkimak (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "Stick with this medication and you will feel better within 2-3 months! I was very skeptical and afraid to take this medication after I read bad reviews on it, but I was tired of suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. I really wanted my life back and be 'normal.' I have been on Zoloft for now 8 months and I feel so much better! I'm seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist because I don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life."

La-la (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "My mother was prescribed these two weeks ago... since then no positives but just worsening side-effects each day... fatigue, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, confusion, and finally hands and legs in pain and unable to move them or walk!!!! Take this medicine with great caution if at all! If on ANY other medication or suffer from ANY other reasonably common ailments such as pain post knee replacements, or mild diabetes, etc. this medication could bring very serious or life threatening side effects! Also if older and more susceptible to complications from diarrhea and other most common side effects listed for medication this medication puts you at risk! No doctor should prescribe this unless a thorough examination of other Meds etc"

Son-Of-Mother (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "this drug gives a huge boost of mental energy and confidence and is very effective for social anxiety. The downside is that is reduces your appetite and libido, and it makes you feel jittery at its peak. Insomnia is a problem when just beginning but you get used to it after a few days."

miccael (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have suffered from anxiety since I was in my teens, I'm now in my 40's and have GAD. I first started taking this medicine and it gave me really bad diarrhea and I stopped taking it but it was definitely helping with the panic attacks, I didn't have them at all! I could feel one like it was about to come on but would go away just as quick. I stopped taking it because of the diarrhea and tried others like lexapro which didn't do anything at all for me. I was on 100mg sertraline and talked to my doctor about lowering my dosage to 25mg to start with so I don't experience the side effects so much, I'm up to 50mg now and it's working great."

lifetime anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "I thought I would share today my experience with zoloft. 2 months ago I was the anxious one on here reading all the reviews on medications, every one and there was positive and negatives. So worried about taking an "antidepressant". I suffered daily with SEVERE anxiety and panic attacks to where I would have a panic attack sometimes for a few hours. It was awful. And because I felt like that so often I would say I had mild depression. Just hopeless. Could anything help my anxiety ? This medicine has changed my life for the better. I started at 25mg and still felt bad, no improvement even after 5 weeks. My doctor upped me to 50mg and within a week I felt 100x better. I had no side effects other than 2/3 headaches. My advice to you, try it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Taken just one tablet for anxiety and depression and had to stop already, really thought these would help and was worried about starting them but realised I had to at least try. After a couple of hours of taking just the first tablet I've felt shaky (definitely WASNT my anxiety) , had a weird tingling sensation up and down my body, felt hot and cold, had a weird taste in my mouth? Stabbing cramps, light headed and numb, and have been constantly vomiting. Had to ring my doctor up who advised me not to continue taking any and told me it would be out of my system in 24 hours, really wouldn't have been able to handle these side effects any longer and it has put me off trying antidepressants again."

S587 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been taking 50mg of Sertraline for a few months now. My anxiety tends to worsen in waves (crying randomly, constant stress, suicidal thoughts, insomnia, and panic attacks). Since I can go for weeks at a time managing fairly well on my own (aside from persistent self hating thoughts), I didn't think the medication was doing much of anything. I didn't notice any immediate changes or side effects. I am wondering now if I am having a worsening urge to self harm? It is worse at night and keeps me awake. I think it has to be due to the meds."

GGGGG1234 October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "After experiencing probably the darkest time of my life, and sitting through therapy sessions that I felt were getting me nowhere, I finally decided to undergo taking anti-depressant tablets. I was always a bit hesitant as to the fact that they are a temporary solution and would never fully cure my depression. However since taking this medication, it’s almost as if all my dark thoughts, my anxiety and paranoia have all been completed numbed and killed off. For me it has managed to make my days go from being stood under a dark cloud to being under blue skies. This medication has helped me put my life on track and now I am training to become a nurse and feel in control of my mind and happiness. For anyone considering it…I would recommend."

charliesophia October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I’ve suffered from serious depression since I was about 11 but always refused treatment because I’m against any kind drugs and I was afraid I would lose myself and become a zombie instead and I didn’t want that. But now in my 30’s now and feeling very suicidal, waking up anxious everyday, heart racing non stop, always crying and not being able to do anything really without being panicky and ridiculously self conscious, relationship failing because of my head, I was at the end. Started on 25mg of zoloft and from first day no crying. No depression or anxiety, no reactive emotions anymore. From first day. Didn’t think it would work from first day but it has and I’m blown away I didn’t start this sooner. Side effect( very tired though ) definitely worth it."

Saltgirl22 October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "This med helps me depression so much! I have severe depression and anxiety and it helps with everything - the sadness, irritability, anxiety, social anxiety, you name it. Unfortunately it causes major weight gain. I mean, I gained 40 lbs in a few months so I weaned off of it, lost the weight with no lifestyle changes. Tried other meds but nothing worked as well so I have it another try. Again, weight gain. No lifestyle changes and gained 70lbs in 4 months. Repeat weaning. Repeat weight loss. Became suicidal. Had to go back on the med. remained on it for 9 years gained 150 lbs and remained stable there. Recently went off again and I'm trying to find another med because I can't handle obesity but can't find another med that works as well!"

Depressedmomof1 October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Sertraline is the best thing to help anxiety I’ve suffered for 10 years without knowing I had anxiety I would buy all different kind of over the counter medication and Herman remedy’s and nothing worked thought I had IBS I didn’t, then I thought I had a brain tumour with all headaches and I didn’t. My anxiety and stress made me worry more about my health until I went doctors they prescribed sertraline. I’ve only been taking them a month and while the first 2 weeks was horrible while they got into my system I feel the best I’ve ever felt. I have more energy, less headaches, minimal worry about every day things. Sertraline is fantastic. I’m on 100mg and feel great. If anyone who has anxiety I strongly recommend that that try this medication"

Micko231085 October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Been on this drug for over 3 months now, was 50mg but now 100mg. I feel sometimes I am in a daze, I have lack of confidence, I've shut myself away from family and friends and I seem to be bitter with everyone. Also my sex drive has completely gone so I can only put it down to this drug.. I TRY TO BE POSITIVE."

furrygodfather (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: "I am 73 years old and have been on Zoloft (generic version) since 1990 when I began seeing a Rheumatologist for Rheumatic Fever. My depression was caused by childhood sexual abuse which my mind had locked away until this time of illness. I was also very angry and contemplated suicide. I could not share my story because of shame and the stigma. She saw I was sad and depressed and wrote a script for Zoloft which I have been on it ever since. Started with 50mgs and now taking 100mgs. She saved my life and my sanity. I did go to counselling years later and was able to verbalize my feelings and forgive. I am thankful for having Rheumatic Fever which led me to this sweet doctor. No side effects that I know of."

great-grannie of one (taken for 10 years or more) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I used this to handle my breakup depression. It gave me enough mental relieve to get over the suicide thoughts I had been having and now I feel better."

Jaquili October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "So the beginning of this year I witnessed a traumatic event when walking back from college. I saw a man hang himself on a bridge whilst cars were going & coming under neath. The bridge was quite high. After the event I thought, the event hasn’t shocked me as much as I thought it would? About a month or few months later I have PTSD, I’m suddenly anxious, scared of myself, on edge & depressed I go to the doctors when things got worse as I was scared of myself in the mirror lol, and she prescribed me the sertraline. I was on 50mg & am now on 25mg (I have to cut the tablet in half) I am back to normal and feel fine, happy and my old self! Sometimes dodgy. The event is in the back of my mind, but the drug is good. Hopefully will give it up soon"

Roseorora October 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Doctor prescribed this medication for my depression. I had tried taking three different brands of anti depressants over the coarse of several years. First one, I don't recall the name, but the side effects were too much for my 18 year old self to handle. Fast forward several years and events, I attempted Lexapro. First dose gave me severe anxiety and I slept only 2 to 3 hours. After discontinuing that, and going another year or so without much to help with how low and anxious I felt, I finally tried Sertralin (Zoloft). I was told to give it at least a month. I am not going to lie. It was rough. My stomach was a mess. More side effects and a month later, I started having patience with my kids again. I don't feel like crying all of the time."

KChristineC October 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started this medication to treat my GAD. I had terrible diarrhea for the first four weeks, but I stuck it out with hopes of some relief. I did get some slight relief from the anxiety, but I went into a deep depression that I had never experienced before. I tried increased dosage as well as add ons. I only got worse depression and only slight relief from the anxiety. I had a lot of dark thoughts. I lasted on it for 5 months and finally demanded to switch to another medication . For me this was not a good experience. My doctor kept me on it too long, in my opinion. I lost 5 months of my life and still am struggling to find another medicine that works for me. Lost 20lbs during the misery."

JJ120 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been on it for 16 years now. Was on 100mg daily but change of lifestyle and reduced this to 50mg about 15 years ago. About a year ago I weaned myself off the medication (over a period of 3 months) but bipolar began to manifest itself to a point that I resumed the 50mg dosage. I am not aware of any side effects of my medication, but do appreciate the overall feeling of well-being and contentment that was not there during my recent trial of not taking medication."

Bonera (taken for 10 years or more) October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "I was only able to make it 5 days. I had nervousness from the time I woke up. Sweaty palms, nausea, anxiety, vivid unpleasant dreams. At times I would sleep for 12 hours and others maybe 3 hours. I couldn't take it anymore. I can't imagine dealing with those side effects for weeks. I stopped and feel so much better. It has taken about two days to feel better. Good luck to everybody but that felt like pure poison to me."

Jennifer RN October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "Very grateful to my doctor recommending this medication when I was very reluctant to try anti-depressants. Suffered from depression for ten years, had a period of severe depression ten years ago. Felt myself entering a period of severe depression again but very reluctant to try medication as many family members had bad experiences. Sertraline has really helped me to have some breathing space during this time and given me some mental clarity to make it through the day. The side effects were brutal, I felt very sick and zoned out in the first three days and it did seem to make me feel worse mentally the first few weeks of taking it. There were many times I wanted to give it up, took 6-8 weeks to feel full effect"

Charliewoof October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Depression: "I started off at 50 MG of SERTRALINE and after a few weeks I started feeling great, I felt more positive, I could sit and watch a whole show or movie with my family. I liked my job more but my appetite did decrease and it made me feel speedy which also made it hard to sleep. Ok so fast forward to 1 month my Dr. decides to up my dosage since it seemed to be agreeing with my body ( I have depression but mostly anxiety) he upped the dosage to 100 mg tablets. After ONE week I was raging - my family noticed my colleagues noticed. I felt like I was roided out. I was mean, aggressive and hard to be around. I also felt downl like I didn't want to be around people anymore. That quickly it all changed. Made a same day appointment with the Dr to switch meds."

Anonymous Girl Age 26 October 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "First, let me start off by saying that I did not know which category to choose, as this medication has helped me with several (OCD, PTSD, panic disorder, antenatal depression, claustrophobia, agoraphobia, social anxiety, and GAD.) For years, I debated and even fought the idea of taking medicine. After many years of struggling from a host of debilitating mental illnesses, I vowed if I was brave enough to try SSRI's, that I would come back and write about my experience in hopes that this post could at help at least one individual. At first, my antenatal depression and anxiety got so much worse, and I pretty much experienced every side effect in the book (yes, even the scary ones). I cannot even believe how amazing I feel just 8 weeks later!"

mbmb24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Panic Disorder: "Hi All! I just want to start off with saying how grateful I am to everyone who posts on here. I have battled with panic attacks and anxiety for the last 14 years. The first time it happened I ended up taking Paxil for about a year. It helped tremendously and I was able to do therapy, change my diet, start a good exercise program and meditate. I since seem to have a 5 year cycle with paralyzing bouts of a month or so of constant panic attacks. So here I am currently on week 8. I tried gabapentin and propanolol for about 4 weeks and was still not feeling right and having to take Xanax every night. I work a stressful on call job. I have finally decided to try Zoloft as I heard it is weight neutral (I gained a bunch of weight on Paxil)"

HopefulSuz (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Anxiety and Stress: "Where do I start! Ok so I like many I have had different degrees of anxiety my whole life. I changed jobs 2 years ago and my new boss and manager made my life very difficult. The anxiety was out of control and a horrid pattern as well as the unexpected attacks happened over and over. I struggle on for 2 years using beta blockers to hide my physical symptoms. I became so exhausted with it I just felt my life was over. I went to my doctors and they put me on this medication. Side effects for me where headaches, I couldn't eat and felt a little jittery but I can honestly say, I would choose that over the anxiety any day. It's changed my life. My advise for anyone suffering get help, don't feel ashamed it happens to the best of us."

Jayne987654 (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017