User Reviews for Sertraline

Body Dysmorphic Disorder

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Sertraline reviews 7.4 2,141 reviews

Reviews for Sertraline

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have been having problems for 25 years and over time getting worse since my teenage years due to abuse. I had seen so many doctors, and until my neurologist now, had been accused of making everything up. I had lost the ability to talk, to express emotion, to smile, to laugh, and to even understand how to be intimate with someone. My new neurologist started me on sertraline, and the effect has been amazing according to co-workers. I am bubbly and can laugh, and I am not as worried all the time .It has been an incredible change that I am still getting used to, but I really hope the positive changes keep happening."

An587693 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I've been taking Zoloft 200mg every day for about 1.5 years now. I was lucky because I've never had any real side effects from it and I jumped up 50 mg at a time pretty quickly. It took at least 2 months for me to notice any changes in my unstable mood. Recently unfortunately it feels as though Zoloft has lost it's effectiveness and I'm feeling pretty awful again. I don't feel depressed, I just feel unbelievable anxiety, paranoia, stress, rage, disconnection from reality, etc. which is why I was taking it, although the stuff is like water for me, it barely does anything, although initially it helped take the edge off a little bit. Everyone's different so you'll react differently, there's no way of knowing unless you try it."

CMan27 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 14, 2018

For Depression: "Awful caused a mental breakdown. No evidence to support antidepressants are effective in under 25s"

Loz (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I've taken 25mg of sertraline for 10 days and have gone through hell. Days 1-3 were fine. Day 4 came with diarrhea, nausea, dizziness and overall high anxiety, but still bearable. On day 5 I woke up with the worst panic attack I'd had in years, diarrhea, and so much nausea I almost threw up. The morning of day 6 was also tough, with panic, anxiety, loss of appetite, diarrhea, nausea, and crying. Day 7 was the same, but with additional depression and thoughts of giving up. But on day 8 I saw hope. The nausea wasn't as strong that morning, the panic lasted a little less. Day 9 was also better, the diarrhea started to subside and I could finally enjoy the day. Day 10 has also been increasingly better. I'm rating this 7 stars because it has been a really bad beginning and I'm definitely not feeling any better than before taking the first pill, but the subsiding of the side effects seem to say that I might start responding positively to this drug at some point."

Hanging In There June 12, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "I had a difficult time on this medication. I was given 25mg for depression and anxiety. I have bipolar disorder but due to perimeno my depression and anxiety have become extremely horrible. I am sensitive to medication and took only half (12.5mg) of a pill to start. Within 30 minutes I was so amped up I could not stop talking or sit still. I had a headache, electric feeling through my whole body, dizziness, muscle cramps and sweating. About four hours in, after trying to eat, I got hives and really itchy. When I went to bed I stayed somewhere between awake and sleeping mixed with anxiety and nightmares. The next day I felt sore and exhausted and fuzzy headed. I will say I was not depressed or suicidal but obviously I had a bad reaction. I won’t be taking another one which is a shame. It took me a month to try it due to being afraid of taking an antidepressant because of possible side effects. Hopefully this med can help someone else."

yveseclipse (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "With a previous history of being abused which lead me to experience PTSD. This has been more full on since I moved countries for my partner and the possibility of this all disintegrating is terrifying. Any wobble in the relationship makes me feel TRAPPED... in the more metaphoric sense.. uncontrollable crying, throwing a book at him and now social anxiety. I'm on 25g of sertraline a day for which I take in the morning and it's helped a lot. I feel clear in the head, I had a couple of arguments with my partner but it didn't seem like my world was crashing in anymore. I have noticed my appetite is back to normal me. As for the negative effects, headaches and my throat feels tense but that lasts for about 5 to 10 mins and goes. I'm hoping for the best. A lot is relying this drug. I just want to get my life back in order. My dad is bi-polar so I supposed if I get a manic episode or as a lot of websites suggest suicide thoughts then I suppose I'm bi-polar too. Everyone has such diverse results!"

Neens June 10, 2018

For Panic Disorder: "I'm on day 8 and just doubled my dose to 100mg. I was taking Lexapro for 3 years prior to switching to Sertraline. I see a lot of comments here saying that they are on day 4 or day 12 or something and they are already giving it a negative review. That's because Sertraline can take up to 6 weeks to stabilise your mood chemicals in your brain. You just need to wait it out. While weaning off Lexapro for a week and then going through a week on a half-dose of Sertraline I was in a constant state of anxiety and also dealing with constant nausea, dizziness and feeling I was not quite "there"...But just ask your doctor for some Diazepam in the meantime, until the Sertraline can take full effect. I'm only on day 8 but I am starting to feel the difference. I have faith. Others need to do the same. Not being satisfied on day 4 or 5 doesn't mean the drug is not working..Any qualified GP will tell you that. Give it six weeks and then you can decide if it's the drug for you."

BillyJames June 9, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started sertraline years ago and have been off and on. It has helped me a lot but last year I’ve noticed my neck getting darker, I’m clenching my jaw at night, gained weight. I’ve been tested for everything and everything is coming back clear. I think it’s time for a new drug."

AdultingFemale (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 8, 2018

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I was on Zoloft 50 mg for 2 years but I was in and out of hospital for help as I went off it then when back on it but my doctor put me on 100 mg as I was a ok for a while then one day my I when to pick up Zoloft from a local pharmacy and it was not Zoloft it was sertraline Generic 100mg, and wow it was really good but still have the mood swings problem so the put me on the contraceptive pill Estelle. Now as people can't tell that I have BPD as I am so good now. I have been taken sertraline for over 11 years now straight."

Ness (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I've struggled with anixety for 15 years and Sertraline was the last hope after 18 months of talk therapy, CBT and mindfulness training. I felt a failure when the doctor advised to go onto these tables due to the stigma and effort not to lean on tablets as a crutch. I regret my hesitation as I could have saved years of suffering. Its been 8 weeks on 50mg and I'm starting to rebuild my life and make plans for the future. I'm starting to trust my thoughts which used to be scrambled and my emotions are more in control, thank goodness :-) The stigma can hold people back but once you take the plunge that concern will fall to one side and I no longer care what people think who haven't been in the same fight battling through each anxiety episode hoping to make it through the day without causing too much damage. This medication may not be right for everyone and you may have to try a different one but it's worth finding your tablet cure as they can work wonders in getting you back to yourself"

Jodie May 31, 2018

For Depression: "Sertraline saved my life. I remember reading these reviews before starting my meds, though I had them at my disposal I was too afraid to take them, I thought that they would change me or make me worse. For the first few days I was feeling worse, but it was definitely worth it. I have no side effects and finally feel normal, and my family can finally stop worrying about me. I used to have suicidal thoughts everyday and had paralyzing social anxiety and I'm only on 50mg and I feel cured. I have attempted suicide in the past and can say that I've never felt consistently happy in life before. I take my meds at night because they make me drowsy."

Anon May 30, 2018

For Depression: "Before my parents finally saw it was time for me to seek for medical help, I had a major anxiety attack, spent 9 hours locked in my bathroom crying/sleeping, I usually tend to have attacks before seeing people. I dropped out of college after only 1 semester and I still can't explain why. I'm on Sertraline for 1 month now. Still can´t feel much difference, I was kinda expecting more, but after reading some experiences I guess it takes a while to really feel something. On my first week I had a lot of side effects, dry mouth, shivering, stomachache, loss of libido, dryness of the mouth (which was great because it made me drink more water). The side effects didn't bother me much, I caught myself laughing when my hands where shaking, my mom hates medicines so I don't have any support at home."

Colleen (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "One of the worst drug to give any one. The side effects are out of control. The fact that a medicine that has been approved to treat PTSD that can make you harm yourself is beyond me. Took for 3 months before the active duty navy doctors finally changed the medicine. Not only did it make everything worse (not able to sleep, depression, and feeling of hopelessness among others). On a weekly basis my spouse was concerned for my well being. Requiring her to call the ambulance about 1 to 2 times a month. After being taken off the medicine I was able to get away from the awful feelings. A new up to date study needs to be done because I am not the only one that has had this effects."

Joe navy May 30, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have been on sertraline for a year and a half now. When I started taking it I was battling anxiety to the point of it ruining my life. I was tired all the time, crying, not sleeping, depressed, irrational fears.. Sertraline helped. I started taking (1) 50mg pill every morning. I started to feel better about a week later. Initially I would take it right after breakfast, and almost immediately I would feel super tired and dizzy and would have to go for a 15-20 minute nap. But that went away within a month. I would still feel dizzy afterwards but would just take it easy. About 8 months ago or so, I switched from taking it after breakfast to taking it BEFORE breakfast and the dizziness side effect went away, which was a great discovery. Overall, this has helped me a lot. I still have emotions, but my lows are less low. I feel more myself, and it feels really good to be able to work 40 hours a week and still go out after work, and live a normal lifestyle again. :) Age 27."

Rcjb91 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 27, 2018

For Depression: "I take sertraline for anxiety, depression and PTSD. It really does help me go about my daily life. I find I'm less prone to being mad or scared and actively want to do things. I was worried that is just stop being me when I started It, but I still feel like me. It doesn't completely stop me from shutting down at times, but after starting it, I've had the clarity of mind to calm down before I broke down. I now primarily stutter when upset and not constantly like I used to. There are some side effects, of course. When I first started, I had horrible stomach aches. Thankfully, they stopped within a week, but maaaaan they were horrid. I had to basically curl up in a ball for a half-hour and wait for my gut to stop trying to wrestle itself. It happened again when I progressed from the 25mg to the 50mg dosage and to the 75mg, but it was very mild when I first started my 100s."

Ay May 25, 2018

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I am on Day 7 of 25mg Sertraline. My anxiety has skyrocketed. I went from having to take an occasional Lorazepam 0.25 mg to needing two 0.5mg pills per day just to function. I have woken up from naps twice in a panic. I wake up nights with anxiety. I just feel like a mess. I just don't know if I should keep pushing through to see if it gets better. This is so hard. I read other reviews and stories about waiting it out. My new Psychiatric NP is away for another week. The fill in person said that I should break the pill in half to do 12.5mg until my next appt. next week. I feel so rubbishy and scared."

amandaf111 (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

For Depression: "I take sertraline 50 mg daily. Started these June 2017, after being on citalopram which worked in the beginning a good 10 + years ago. I asked my GP for a different anti depressant as they were just not helping anymore. Have to say the first 4-6 weeks were horrendous, felt exhausted all the time, nausea, emotional. Nearly changed for something else, but after reading lots of positive reviews and people going through the same, I decided to persevere with them. I’ve been on them nearly 1 year and have to say, they saved my life."

Charlie 1 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 23, 2018

For Not Listed / Other: "I struggled with premature ejaculation until I found that sertraline can be helpful in this regard. I take 50mg on alternate days. This off label use of the drug has turned me into a bedroom superstud bringing magic into my marriage. My wife now knows what to expect each and every time."

Al (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 23, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Triggered Depersonalization, blank mind and anhedonia which I didn't have prior Zoloft At first I felt good, even too good which I can now consider as hypermania (lack of need to sleep, running around the house, insisting that I'm an art piece) 2 weeks later not feeling my self, as if my head is filled with cotton, the world appeares different and I can't feel anything towards my GF, I wish I have never touched this full apathy inducer of a pill. Later on I found that I have a short/short version of the "Seratonin transporter gene" AKA SLC6A4 or 5-HTTLPR, which is known to cause more side effects with SSRIs and SNRIs, beware."

KiloMan (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I was diagnosed with Borderline personality disorder 7 years ago, along with major depressive disorder and anxiety. After 6 years on Zoloft, I can report zero depression for the past 2 years and minimal anxiety attacks. 4 weeks ago with the help of the doc I came off Zoloft. Depression still gone but my BPD is in full swing. The rage I feel is killing me, my crazy behaviour is back and it’s safe to say, I’m going back on Zoloft ASAP. It’s funny I didn’t notice how well I’d been with my BPD until I stopped my meds haha. I have to say Zoloft worked wonders for me!"

Manda (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "18 years social, GAD, panic and more recently depression following a couple of breakdowns. Two and a half years ago I was suicidal and desperate and was put on high dose effexor, mirtazapine and pregablin along with intensive CBT. It took several months but I came back strong. Fast forward, second baby, new high stress job and quitting meds at Xmas and things started to destabilise. Wanted to attack it quickly but even so I've still had a couple of weeks breakdown (lots of depression and overwhelmed by intrusive thoughts), away from work as I started 50mg sertraline. Just coming to the end of week 3. I am back at work, GAD has gone, panic has gone, insomnia and night anxiety has gone, some social remains in pressure scenarios but to be honest that's just the norm. Depression is lifting again and it feels like I am back on track. Will update once I hit week 5/6. Hang in there, it gets better."

Pilbo (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "I’ve been taking Zoloft for around 3 weeks now, first day was fine no side effects or anything. Everything hit me on the second day with nausea, migraine, dizziness, loss of sleep and my mood being lower than ever before. I started taking it for my severe anxiety and depression but since getting side effects my anxiety has been worse because I’m scared of feeling sick when I’m not at home. After 2 weeks of taking 25mg my doctor told me to increase to 50mg. It’s been 4 days on the 50mg and I’m still having side effects. I’ve had to miss nearly 3 weeks of school because I feel so sick and I can barely get out of my house, which is a big problem because I’m in high school and my exams are coming up in a couple of weeks, but I’ve missed so much school. Hopefully going back to my doctor soon to see if there is anything I can do, this medicine will work differently for everyone though."

Madi j May 15, 2018

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "I know this drug works for some people. But my anxiety got worse on this too a point where I had an anxiety attack for no reason for 3 hours. Just didn't work for me."

Aanders May 14, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "I used Zoloft 100mg for extreme anxiety that involved panic attacks and depression. The side effects that occurred for me were feelings of tiredness and mild nausea. This medication worked for about 2 months. I had an improved mood and less anxiety. After that 2 months this medication stopped working completely. It caused anxiety, mood swings, and really dark thoughts associated with the depressive episodes of the mood swings. I am not trying to say that you or a loved one shouldn’t try Zoloft. This is how it reacted with me but it doesn’t mean that it would do the same to you or a loved one. Just be watchful for any adverse signs. The withdrawal symptoms are slightly uncomfortable. I personally tend to not get severe side effects from starting or stopping a medication. I currently have withdrawals symptoms that involve off and on headaches throughout the day and brain/body zaps. I stopped taking Zoloft about a week ago. Withdrawal symptoms for me were noticeable after about 4 days."

Photographylover (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2018

For Anxiety and Stress: "I started sertraline 4 weeks ago (50mg) first week of side effects were manageable and now fast forward to three weeks - I felt awful , anxiety skyrocketed and started feeling depressed. I had very scary thoughts while on it and currently being weaned off it. It completely ruined my life for the last few weeks so I wouldn't recommend to people of my age (18)"

Hannagh (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2018