User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Dissociative Identity Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Trichotillomania 3 reviews 3 medications

Body Dysmorphic Disorder 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Sertraline reviews 1363 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Sertraline

For Depression: "Went to the doc 10 days ago feeling quite depressed and anxious/nervous in unfamiliar situations. Cancelled trips where I felt trapped in case I had a panic attack. Prescribed Sertraline 50mg. Within hours of taking this drug felt absolutely awful. Was in a really dark state of mind with anxiety, agitation, trembling and sleeplessness. Persevered for one week but finally gave up. Am now feeling much better after stopping. Going for a hypnotherapy session which has worked for me in the past. Everyone on this drug has a different experience, positive or negative, but for me it made me much worse and I could not stand these awful side effects for one more day."

Over60Lady July 28, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have been suffering from depression and anxieties for many years. When I was starting high school, I was prescribed with Paxil, and had taken that for 14 years. During my third year of college, when I was 22, I found out that I had Generalized Anxiety Disorder, because I worried more than the average person. It was only last year that I found out that Paxil was no longer effective, so my doctor suggested that I gradually switch over to Zoloft. My doctor informed me that Zoloft also helps ease anxieties. I took her word for it. Since Paxil and Zoloft are both selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, it really is not that hard to make a switch. Zoloft has definitely caused my worries to decrease. I sleep better as well."

altosax85 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2016

For Depression: "Took one 50mg tablet as directed and I have never felt so iIl. Had to get down on the floor, could not lift my head off the floor, felt like I was going to pass out and felt nauseous. Had diarrhoea; pins and needles in hands; hot flushes - the most unpleasant side effects. Could only lay in bed and even then the room was spinning. Took 24 hours to feel normal again."

Vicks2703 July 27, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: "Been severely depressed for many years. Anxiety, ocd too. Zoloft has made me way more stable, down side is it can make you numb to life. I lost my dad in 06, I went into an awake coma so to speak, lost my mom last March, I felt the pain come in like bullet and then I felt overwhelmingly calm, that's the seratonin doing its job. I couldn't cry at the funeral or anything. While I'm not depressed, I do feel many other effects, decreased libido, muscle twitch, I extend my legs and contort them in bed uncontrollably. I give it a 9 because it saved my life. I'm on 150mg mornings. Have been for 10 years plus. Give it a good shot, let it have time to work. Good Luck. Don't ever give up."

That guy Rogue July 27, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've been on 200mg for 7 months now, yes you can tell a difference. Makes the constant thinking diminish a little, especially under pressure. Ask you doctor if sertraline is right for you. "

Mikejoneswho (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 27, 2016

For Panic Disorder: "Sertraline changed my life. I used to be in a chronic state of anxiety and on the verge of panic in daily life. Sertraline made it easier to think rationally and manage anxiety. The only downside I have noticed is a minor dulling of emotions; my mental state is less volatile, but this applies to both positive and negative feelings. I started at 50mg and increased to 75mg after 3 years."

Ian387598 July 24, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "Started on 25mgs and had a tough first week with all the side effects. My doctor told me to stay on it for 2-3 more weeks and I did - and I must say, it have effected my life for the better cause. Went up to 50mg and have been on that dose for a while. Works great and feel that it is easier to do things now than before. Think it is important to say that there are no wonders drugs for anxiety. You are the key to deal with it - not the medicine. I still recommend Zoloft for those struggling with panic attacks."

AAvsQQ July 23, 2016

For Depression: "I am experiencing severe itching for the past month and is driving me crazy"

lovejoyboy1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I was initially scared to go on Zoloft, as I had been on it when I was 12 for depression and I was told I was a despondent zombie. I'm 18 now and have probably taken 10 different antidepressants. Two months ago I began having horrible intrusive thoughts, and this was the first drug recommended. I agreed to try it after some pushing from my doctor and more experimentation. The first two weeks was hell; I couldn't keep anything down. I lost 18 pounds in two weeks. My OCD is better but it's still not great. I had periods of derealization when switching doses and some of it has stayed. I'm currently on 100mg and probably going to up my dose."

fireash345 July 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "I started taking Sertaline last july for panic and anxiety and also for severe pms, it was my last option, and the best decision I could have made, the first few weeks a was very nervous. I woulnt say it increased the anxiety much a was just so scared to take them, I was prescribed 50mg, I decided a would half them so I done that for the first month, so I didn't get any side effect of the meddication, I am still on them now, and feel I will stop on them alot longer as it been the first time in four year that I been happy and ablw to live a normal life, its totally the right desion, if your prescibed somwthing take it, dont let the anxiety take over, I undestand its scary your first one, but it the only way u will get better.. good luck"

Melaniels19892016 July 21, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline) for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Didn't do much for me except killed my sexual drive with the wife. After two weeks had to get off it. Works for some but not me."

Glimmer man July 20, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "First time I got a panic attack was about 4 years ago, needless to say it was horrifying, took my about three months from one doctor to another to check heart condition, nerves, etc... after my maybe 10th visit to the ER (not knowing it's a panic attack) doctor suggested I should I should visit a psychiatric, who prescribed Escitalopram and Lorazepam, it took me a while before the drugs started acting up but fast forward one year later i'm feeling better. after than I relapsed and the same medication didn't work, so my doctor suggested to start taking Sertraline, it took me a couple of weeks before even remotely started to feel slightly better, side effects were horrible, but in 2 months I was back to my normal self. so, be strong, and wait"

Tomtanks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

For Depression: "i have been on zoloft for about 6 months with other anti depressants before that time.. zoloft is the only one that has worked but it is no where near a miracle drug for me.. my mind still races and there are days that i am weepy and have thoughts of suicide, i dont have any motivation to really do anything.. im not on a small dose at all 175mg/day (max dose is 200mg/day) but i can admit if i miss it for a day, i will feel it for two.. i cant really tell if there are side effects because the depression could be causing some of the lethargy.. i dont want to take pills all my life, and im doing whatever i can to try to get off them but at this time, they are my only hope"

wackedfox (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

For Depression: "I was abusing alcohol for 5 years or so and was spiralling out of control. I went to the doctors on a couple of occasions and at first was offered only counselling. When I finally started taking sertraline about 7 months ago it changed my life. The first week in particular I struggled with the initial side effects such as insomnia and a strong 'spaced out' feeling. The day I began taking sertraline was the day I stopped drinking alcohol and am now eating well. I have now been alcohol free for 7 months, my diet has never been so good and neither has my level of fitness. I'm not saying that sertraline is the answer to all problems but for me it lifted a depression that I never knew I had and made we want to take care of myself again."

PhiUK July 17, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline) for Postpartum Depression: "I suffered from severe postpartum depression, anxiety, and OCD. More so horrifying intrusive thoughts that consumed my life, I literally wanted to give up. I was too scared to try a medication. I suffered from the time my baby was 6 months old to 18 months old. Finally I decided that Zoloft was my last hope. I started off at a low dose of 25mg and gradually increased it to 50, and finally 100mg. I can say I feel amazing. I don't ruminate on my obsessive thoughts anymore. Yes sometimes the thoughts still come into my head, but I am able to notice them as being an anxious thought and I don't spend hours days or months obsessing on them. They literally come in and go out, and I can function! I love zoloft! It saved my life!"

Mia02116 July 16, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I suffered from a major bout of anxiety in my sophomore year of high school and it made life very difficult, I grew agitated and jumpy and the summer between my sophomore year and junior year, I started taking zoloft after talking to my doctor and was clinically diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder, social anxiety disorder, and major depression. After being on it for a while, I noticed that my depression was getting better, when combined with therapy, I also felt less anxious at school unless I was in large crowds. This medication has been a huge help but going off of it for extended lengths of time has lead to sudden and small panic attacks without cause."

Rei0112358 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 14, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "My daughter was just prescribed Zoloft at 100 MG for general anxiety. 6 hours she had diarrhea, nausea and shaking. Most places I am reading has 25 MG the starting dose moving up to 50 MG. Any suggestions other than contacting the Dr in the morning? She has had anxiety for a while but has never taken medication for it."

Nervous Dad (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2016

For Depression: "Ive been on zoloft (75 mg) for about a month now, and im just starting to feel the effect. Ive depression and anxiety, and all i can tell is that im still very sad but it's not the end of the world as before. I still cry sometimes but i dont want to kill myself anymore. But its strange not to feel like i used to be, i have the sensation that im functional and under control, but at the same time i feel like a robot or zombie, and thats weird, im not totally myself. But i guess this is better than the horrible anxiety i used to have. Sometimes i have headaches, im very sleepy and sweaty and talkative. Anyway, it is helping me for my anxiety, but depression barely improved."

Sofalvarez July 12, 2016

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have to say I was terrified of taking meds. I didn't know what was going on with me I had been feeling awfully for about 8 months. I finally went to see a doctor and was diagnosed with anxiety disorder. I feared medication, but my doctor talked me into trying it and I'm glad I did. I will say there is side effects, but just keep taking it they will pass I've been on zoloft since June 1st of this year and I feel so much better....So if your terrified don't be it's worth a try.."

glh35 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 12, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "Went to a therapist who suggested Xanax and the doctor refused to do that and gave me Zoloft so I gave it a shot. First week was hell, was falling asleep sitting up which I had never done before. I was tired, sick feeling, and dizzy among other side effects. Once these subsided my panic attacks stopped, however I was sleeping 20 hours at a time, waking up then four hours later going back to sleep another 20 hours. I did notice I became better in social situations yet I lost interest in things I enjoyed doing and left the house even less than before. I have been diagnosed with GAD, panic disorder, agoraphobia, social anxiety, major depression, dermatillomania, and trichtotillomania. Not worth the negatives to fix only a few of these."

Peekasaurus (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "I was on Zoloft for Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder. Initially, Zoloft helped me a lot and I didn't have any kind of panic attacks, a constant sense of mild anxiety, or depression all that bad. However, after about a year of being on it it started to make me feel like a complete zombie. I had zero motivation for anything which reflected in my grades and I'm normally an obsessive overachiever in school.. I just kind of let myself go. I wasn't depressed but I wasn't happy, it just put me in this fog-like feeling. The withdraw for me felt like I might as well have been coming off heroin. I couldn't eat or sleep, I had cold sweats, nausea/vomiting, and I had anxiety like never before. It was truly a nightmare."

Anonymous July 9, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "Hi All, I started on 50mg sertraline and 100mg diazepam(sp), hated it I just felt spaced out all the time. stopped the Diazepam and went to 100mg sertraline, and it leveled my moods out, I would be the same Monday as Friday, but still not happy and joking as I usually am. I went to doctors today and he put me on 150mg sertraline, and 2mg diazepam as needed. yes sertraline does work, I had really bad stomach for about a month, now that's gone, I have had a few panic attacks but, they are less, I do struggle with my thought of line when I am talking, but stop rethink what I am saying then go again. I am a 46yr old male, head chef., started "

KWACKS July 8, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I promised myself when I was a wreck that I would post when I was myself again. Truth is these forums gave me hope when everything was hopeless and kept me going. I started on Sertraline 50 mg upped to 100 mg for severe anxiety that had been building up for a year. I focused on my anxiety all the time, life was not enjoyable.Word of advice-- if you are on Sertraline for anxiety you will feel worse beyond belief for a start!!! Please stick with it-- I never would have without forums. I felt much better after 6 weeks but has taken 11 to be me again. It is a slow process but the results are amazing. I needed a lot of time off work as I am in a surgical job-- don't feel guilty as I did . We have an illness like any illness. Don't ever lose hope"

Cassy from UK (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016

For Anxiety and Stress: "I've read so many horror stories about this drug, that I thought I best give a good review! I've gone from a self-harming mess. Scared of getting in my car because I might crash and die. Walking past a pond and not wanting to commit suicide, but thinking I could happily sink to the bottom and be at "peace". I've been on 150mg for three months now. I sing to my dogs again, I laugh at stupid stuff, I'm productive in work. I lost two stone in ten weeks from not eating and I didn't realise how ill I was until I went to see my Dr. I'm happy to put up with the teeth clenching and the fact that it's really hard to orgasm because I feel human again. Get past the first three weeks side effects when you feel AWFUL!! I've never felt better now though."

Marplar (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "I had anxiety and panic attacks for about 3 years, I finally said enough was enough when I promised after another panic attack im going straight to the doctor and I did. And im glad I did, this drug makes anxiety come all the way down to a manageable level It takes about 2 months from my experience to work, iv been on 50mg for 5 months and I should increase my dose for the remaining anxiety but there's a reason I wont. The drugs sexual side effects are bad it lowers overall sex drive and makes it hard to climax very annoying.Thats the main reason I want to get off them as well as dislike of long term medication. For someone who is looking to try the drug but maybe apprehensive Dont be scared to try this medication dont live in anxiety hell"

akan July 8, 2016