User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 3,408 ratings on Drugs.com. 63% of those users who reviewed Sertraline reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Vulvodynia  Off-label 10.0
Body Dysmorphic Disorder  Off-label 1.3
Summary of Sertraline reviews 7.2 3,408 reviews

Reviews for Sertraline

Chemomile · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 4, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: “Been diagnosed with GAD/Panic disorder in November. Was prescribed Zoloft 50mg, which did not do me any good for 2 weeks. Got up to 100mg, which caused a frightening spike of anxiety. Got my dose cut to 75mg after 2 weeks. First results started showing at week 7 of the new dose. All that time I was surviving on Diazepam, which I was gradually taking in lower doses. On week 8, I jumped off the benzodiazepin and upped my Zoloft to 100mg. Now I can survive on Zoloft alone. A bit more positive but nervous plus a lot of anxiety/brain fog especially in the mornings. Doctor said, I need a few more months on it. I can see the change but I'd say I am only 80% ok now. Considering my daily use of benzos in the last few months (and withdrawal symptoms), I can say Zoloft helps...but for me it takes an AWFUL lot of time. In fact so long that one may be tempted to take benzos again, stop or switch. I am sticking with it though, hoping my doc is right.”

hey girl · Taken for less than 1 month March 4, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “Started off on 25mg. Noticed physical side effects but were easy to deal with. After a week I moved up to 50mg. Anxiety spiked after I took it but I have been/am in therapy so I knew how to handle it. Did make it worse than before to the point where one night I had to try and put off a panic attack for an hour. Next night after taking it I got so suicidal. That was the last day I took it but it was still in my system. For the next 2 days I still felt it + considered crashing my car. Part of the reason I was put on this was suicidal thoughts + Zoloft made it SO much worse. Will never touch again unless it's to burn it. Almost everyone I've talked to who's been on it said it was the worst experience of their life. Congrats if you're apart of the 1% this pill actually works for. CNP told me out of 500 patients she's prescribed it to (she was biased since it worked for her) only 2-3 ended up feeling suicidal. Well she can now make that lie 3-4”

Savg March 3, 2021

For Panic Disorder: “Sertraline has saved my life! 100% and I only take 25mg daily. I could not recommend Sertraline high enough. My panic attack symptoms are not only completely under control (I have had 1 panic attack in the 2 years of being on Sertraline and that was normal anxiety due to starting a new job) my whole life is so much brighter and calmer. Everyone who meets me compliments how calm my presence is and that they wished they were more like me. Little do these people know I had a debilitating panic disorder and was the furtherest person from "calm" 2 years prior. Sertraline in my opinion is life's "chill pill". Please be patient and give Sertraline time to work, you will not be disappointed.”

efly · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2021

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “I'm week 11 of 100mg and week 13 of being on sertraline. This drug has been really great for me - the horror and fear around my intrusive thoughts and OCD has drastically minimised and I'm almost back to my usual self! I still get occasional intrusive thoughts but my reaction is definitely more chilled towards it and I'm way less anxious. When I started getting OCD I had no idea what it was and so took myself to hospital out of panic - Therapy has also helped here (CBT) so I strongly recommend medication and therapy, don't just rely on the meds and give it a few months to kick in!”

Gpa · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 2, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I take 50 mgs at night and I haven't been able to have an erection. The drug works I just don't like "that"side effect.”

rambogif March 2, 2021

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “To all the people reading the reviews, hesitating about taking the medication and looking for a valid reason to (or not to) start: 2 years ago (at 32 y/o) I had crippling anxiety - constant panic attacks, going to the emergency room on a weekly basis for over a year because I was always so sure that I was having a heart attack. I sat with the medication for 4 months, worried about starting it. Afraid of the side effects, that it would alter my mind, the stigma, the possibility that it wouldn't work and that it would make my irreversibly depressed.. I had no reason to be afraid of the side effects - I experienced slight headaches and perhaps mild dizziness for the first couple of weeks. 2 years on and I have my life back. It takes a while to start working with your body and it's hard to notice it working it's magic; but if you stick it out...you too could find yourself looking back and thanking this little pill for letting your mind think clearly again. Best wishes to you all!”

Eceenal February 28, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: “I started taking Zoloft 6 months ago due to extreme depression and generalized anixety disorder (too much overthinking and worrying due to over thinking) been prescribed with 25mg. It has helped me a lot. Though I still feel depressed from time to time. Still get anxious and insomnia. This is NOT the first time I have taken Zoloft. The first time I was a child (bad idea) for sure I had a higher dosage due to that had and serious episode. After that around the age of 18-20 I took it the first 4 days (am) caused me to have a serious Panic Attack at the middle the night. I stopped taking it. It was a very low dosage. Nothing bad happen, though I had suicidal ideas. It has not been easy. All I can say is life is not easy. Never will be, but let us be positive and make the most of it. Be thankful for the good days.”

icedbrownsugar6 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 26, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “Please do not be scared by some people’s horrendous experiences on this forum. Yes, the drug affects everyone differently and that should be considered, but don’t be scared. I started on 50mg for situational anxiety and depression. After 9 days, it was like a switch flipped in my brain. I felt more content, not depressed, and no anxiety. After about a month, I did start to get very vivid nightmares but have lowered my dose to try and help that. I’ve had no other side effects. Again, everyone is different, but please don’t be scared. This drug has helped me a lot.”

Gaulois February 25, 2021

For Depression: “I was diagnosed with depression so my doc prescribe me with Sertraline. I was on it for 3 years. However, major weight gain and fatty liver. One month ago, my body shut down. I saw my doc, blood test, extremely elevated alkaline phosphatase, I was experiencing for past 3 years all side effect (dry mouth, weight gain, fatty liver etc...). I stop cold turkey Sertraline immediately as it felt like it was really bad for me. For 5 days, no symptoms, then hot strikes, peaks and valleys, major vertigo, feeling impaired all the time. New blood test, alkaline phosphorous dropped rapidly below 400 in less than 2 weeks. But brain still feel foggy, clear at time during short time getting longer and longer. I am now drinking lots of milk to repair damage between bone and muscle. I exercise 45minutes every 3 days.”

. · Taken for less than 1 month February 24, 2021

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “I’ve struggled with PMDD for years now and I have tried everything holistically such as, acupuncture, vitamins, yoga etc, however the irritability and anger outburst were taking over and the overwhelming feeling a few days before period. Due to studying Psychology I was aware about the reduction in ALLO-GABA that was causing PMDD, after researching the life out of this medication it seemed promising. I have been taking the medication for 1 week now and the anger and irritability has gone. The first day was awful I was wiped out (drowsy), felt sick and headache so I reduced my dose to 25mg, by day 3 the side effects had reduced immensely. I have up the dose now to 50mg. So far so good!!”

Fiff February 24, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: “Worked on anxiety and panic but took 3 weeks. Had side effects at the beginning which went away.”

shammy · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 23, 2021

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “I’ve been taking Sertraline (50-150mg fluctuating throughout the years) for approximately 5 years now - before I had been diagnosed with BPD. I can absolutely say it keeps me grounded and level-headed, as well as helping me with mood fluctuations. There is a very noticeable difference when I am off Sertraline. It was my 2nd SSRI tried. Negative side effects included weight gain and nausea.”

Booboo · Taken for 10 years or more February 23, 2021

For Borderline Personality Disorder: “Hi, I've been on 200mg of sertraline for over 20 years. It really helps control my moods swings which would constantly change many times in a hour. I have tried many drugs, but this is the only one that has controlled the anger mood. I still struggle every day with chronic depression lack of motivation, to do the normal daily tasks or cooking washing, and house work. I do believe I've been misdiagnosed but after all these years it's pointless trying to get any further help.”

TJ1620 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 23, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I have taken Sertraline for almost 2 years now. I began on about 50mg and went up to 100mg and have stayed on 100mg ever since. However, in all honesty, this medication was not what it was cracked up to be. I felt like a zombie, day in and day out. Sleepy and lethargic all the time. I gained an incredible amount of weight, and if anything, this made my anxiety worse. It was good in the beginning, but now it’s not so great. For a moment, my life-long anxiety and panic disorder faded, but now I’m sort of stuck in limbo. And after missing one dose, I felt so awful. Migraines, nausea, dizziness... this drug just didn’t work for me. That being said, please do consider that it takes time for you to find the right antidepressant. It’s going to be a 50/50 chance whether it’ll work for you or not. Don’t give up if you can’t find the right one for you just yet :)”

NoMoreSilence · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: “I likely have permanent tinnitus. Was on it up to 150mg. I developed tinnitus at 75mg and she said it should help and to keep taking it. It's been a few months since I quit. I had to taper myself. Ugh. What an awful drug. At least I lost 20 pounds. I have insane headaches now from the tinnitus.”

SleepEasy February 18, 2021

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: “For me, a life saver! Yes, I had the night sweats, the vivid dreams, the urine frequency, the dizziness and nausea for the first few months. But here's the rub, I would do it a thousand times over for how well I feel now. I started taking 50mg sertraline for crushing anxiety in December 2019. I am a 37 year old female and my confidence and my judgement in my work was rock bottom. I over analyzed and panicked about everything for over a decade. But I hid it very well at work! I would've tried anything to not feel so exhausted and ground down by incessant worrying. My body took about two months to get used to the drug. But things, me, my mind, started to feel calmer and I felt more in control as the months progressed. Now, I feel together, content and at peace I have not felt since I was a child! In truth? I wish I had started taking this medication years ago. Anxiety robbed me of my sense of peace and sense of self. Will I come off it? Within the year hopefully, but if needs be, I will stay on it!”

bri · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2021

For Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “hi everyone my OCD spiralled out of control so I started sertraline after many years on prozac. I was started on 50mg and felt all the usual side effects for 2 weeks then suddenly week 3 my intrusive thoughts got much worse. My thoughts about every theme of OCD I'd ever experienced constantly popping into my head including contamination, harm and other themes. The anxiety also increased at the end of week 3. Should I be concerned by this or is this relatively normal? The anxiety is intense right in the forehead. I planned to do 6 weeks minimum on 50mg then increase to 100mg so want are peoples thoughts?”

Newuser February 18, 2021

For Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “First prescribed sertaline 100mg to take 1-2wks before period. The side effects were dire - I gave up. A year later PMS got so bad, recurring migraines/depression. I agreed to 50mg every day for 3 months. Side effects were awful the 1st 3 weeks. I slept all the time. I was sick and dizzy and moody. I FELT MUCH WORSE!! BUT I read reviews/youtubed and went on. For my first period on sertraline I had no PMS symptoms. 2nd period - no symptoms. 3rd - I had fatigue but I was due a review & increased dose, 100mg. I have no PMDD mood symptoms. I was in denial for years & although recommended treatment, I refused. Now in hindsight, I do regret not sticking with treatment sooner. Work through the side effects for a 1 month and ALWAYS take with food. I would recommend taking WITH a meal, from day 1 and continue that habit. Give it a chance, it has turned my life around.”

DK · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 18, 2021

For Depression: “It was my third time of moderate to severe depression episode and anxiety disorder within 10 years due to a break up and anxiety due to some stress full events. My friend sertraline came to rescue me again from this monster depression. All of the 3 times within 10 years that I used sertraline I had the same symptoms. Diarrhea for a week, excessive depression and more anxiety for around 10 days after the first dosage and reduced libido for approx 3 weeks. My depression was eliminated within 6 weeks and the anxiety within 3 weeks. I am back to my old self again and I am so happy about this. I occasionally get intrusive thoughts about my ex but not to the extend to bother me anymore. Sertraline is a miracle. The first 2-3 weeks are harsh but then it helps you reclaim yourself from this monster depression!! Thank you sertraline once more.”

NEVER AGAIN · Taken for 10 years or more February 17, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: “One of the worst, if not THE worst, experiences of my life was taking that drug and slowly losing my mind after an initial period of having it make me feel better. It has been almost two years since quitting and I still have not fully recovered, though things are much smoother. My motivation for life has been wrecked. Total time taking drugs (all prescription psych meds) is at least 10 to 15 years. They might make the clouds roll away and make you feel so much better for a while, perhaps years, but they have the very real possibility of destroying your life. If you are considering using zoloft, PLEASE google "antidepressants ruined my life" and enter the dark world of people whose lives have been destroyed by these drugs. Psych meds promise relief, but using them is playing russian roulette with your brain and you may be one of the people who are going to wish you had never touched them. The experience has been a mental and emotional nightmare unlike anything I've ever been through.”

Ryan · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 17, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: “Before getting on Zoloft 50 mg, I had severe anxiety and my brain would constantly find something to worry about. I had rituals I had to follow and I was super obsessive and that was leading to severe anxiety and depression. Zoloft helped me so much as far as changing my state of mind. I am now happier with so much less anxiety.”

Christian Girl · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 17, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: “Been on 25 mg of Zoloft for four weeks, upped it to 50mg. Felt like I was on an amphetamine. Tried 37.5mg, and I still feel revved up in my brain. Can’t handle this drug. Some people don’t always respond well, even though the psych nurse tells me Zoloft does not create this reaction. I say everybody is different in brain chemistry.”

SeekingTheLight18 · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2021

For Anxiety and Stress: “I writing this for my sister who is literally on her first week of taking this pill. She has had awful anxiety for 6 years now and finally the doctors are doing something about it She is on a trial period of this. However she has been feeling terribly unwell since taking them, with a pounding headache, lack of sleep, no appetite or want to drink anything and shaking really bad. Just wondering if anyone else experienced this the first few weeks and if so when will she start to see a change? I know it is different for everyone but a rough idea would be nice. Thanks”

Bella · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 16, 2021

For Bipolar Disorder: “23 yo female with BPD. Been on Lamotrigine 200mg and Cymbalta 120mg for years but the cymbalta became too sedating. Switched to Zoloft 50 mg a month ago and unleashed TORTURE. Seemed to work initially, less fatigue and more motivation, so increased to 100mg but I became ravenously hungry and gained weight instantly. Dropped back to 50mg and it got bad. Couldn’t fall asleep and my panic attacks, irritability, and mood swings came back. Suicidal thoughts returned heavily. Got so bad that a few days ago I called my husband while he was at work feeling like I was about to overdose on my medication because the mental anguish was unbearable. I felt literally insane. And I could go on for pages about the anger, the lashing out, etc. Stopped taking it today. I know two people with bipolar disorder in which the doctors prescribed Zoloft and it screwed them both up so bad. I want to believe this is a good drug but doctors seriously need to be more careful with its use in bipolar patients”

Luna · Taken for less than 1 month February 15, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline) for Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder: “Hi there, I tried quite a few antidepressants, but only Zoloft deserves my review. I have been taking Sertraline for almost a month and I am so happy that I didn't give up on changing from my previous Escitalopram, Prozac, Citalopram. I suffer from PDD, then from PTD and anxiety. First two weeks were hard, but I started to have interest in activities again (week 4). Don't worry about weight gain, I was that's why I stopped Escitalopram, Zoloft does not make me feel ravenous at all. So glad”