User Reviews for Sertraline

Body Dysmorphic Disorder

1 review 0 medications
Summary of Sertraline reviews 7.4 2,437 reviews

Reviews for Sertraline

Zoloft (sertraline) for Major Depressive Disorder: "One day I felt good and the other very bad,I did not know what to think about this medication. I had good days and very bad days. After 3 months taking it I felt like it stopped working as well as it had before, so I stopped it and switch to another antidepressant. For the good days I had I would rate this med 8/10 and for the bad days 2/10. My bad days were more than my good days as it seems."

Nicolas April 9, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I started using Sertraline for Generalised Anxiety Disorder that included disassociation, panic attacks, paranoia etc (I pretty much believed everything around me was fake and felt like I couldn’t cope anymore). On my first day of taking sertraline I felt SO much better. I did not have any side effects apart from a bit of loss of appetite. I swore by sertraline for years and went up to 200mg daily. I fell pregnant and weaned off of the drug. Now 10 months post baby I’m starting sertraline again for anxiety and low mood (albeit nowhere near as bad)... hoping for the same results as last time!"

Holly (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I have GAD and I found 50mg wasn't very effective. After a few months, and several panic attacks I was given a higher dose of 100mg. This made me feel much better, so much so that I decided (stupidly) that I no longer needed them and stopped taking them all together. My friends and family said I went through a bit of a "manic" phase after I stopped taking the tablets, due to withdrawal and a particular stressful time. I have now started taking 100mg again, however this time I am extremely bloated and my hands shake constantly. This is really getting me down. Is this a common side effect? If so, is it likely to last? I feel really fed up and tempted to stop taking them again! Grateful for any advice."

Em (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2019

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I've been taking Sertraline off and on for a number of years for PTSD related anxiety and major depression. It's tough when you start taking it--you feel more anxious and cannot eat much, but after about a month to six weeks I usually wake up one morning to a clearer mind and I generally feel much better and it is easier to make decisions. I'm back on it after a major life-altering event. Usually, when I start back on it, my side effects don't last long because my brain recognizes the drug. I hope this time is true to that norm. If not, I will weather through the early stages because I know the drug works. The side effects aren't pleasant at first--it does get better if you can endure them."

Yo (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: "I started taking Zoloft two months ago. It's helped my OCD but it's not a cure all. I'm only on 100mg. It would work better at 200mg but the side effects are bad enough with everything else. Additionally I take 20mg Memantine and 450mg Wellburin, Testosterone gel, and 20mg Lisinopril."

RFM (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2019

For Depression: "I had a mixture of bad depression and anxiety, it was getting to the point I was never sleeping and skipping work. My doctor prescribed a temporary prescription of sleeping pills ( promethazine) and a longer term of sertraline. I was taking 25 mg of Sertraline for about 2-3 weeks and a low dosage of sleeping pill. After about a week or so of grogginess and nausea, my sleep started to get better and I also found my mood improving. After about 3 months I was not taking the sleeping medication any more and had increased to 50mg a day for Sertraline. I have stayed on 50mg ever since. This relatively low dose (for a 220 lb 6ft 5 man) has changed my life. I am a different person. For me, it's been a game changer and I really hope reading this gives others the confidence to give Sertraline a serious go."

ArrowNova April 7, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "I've been taking Zoloft 25mg for almost 10 months and all that time I was feeling so good no problems no fear. Then so I would feel 100% better my doc increased my dosage to 50mg and now I feel way better, he told me you need to be on this medication at least for 1 year and he said you can take it for your whole life no problems"

Aaron (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "Helped me a LOT for dépression, anxiety and insomnia. It changed my life!"

Sissi (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2019

For Depression: "30 yrs old; on sertraline 50mg dose prescribed after complete burnout with hopelessness and depression. The first 2 weeks are hardest; difficulty falling/staying asleep, upset stomach, some anxiety. The first day I woke with horrible nausea and sweating like being on fire. Taking it easy in the mornings with ginger/peppermint and carefully getting out of bed is essential. Do not drink alcohol the first month, dizzy and exhaustion/yawning constantly. 1st month felt numb, 2nd month felt energy come back and interested in hobbies for 1st time in yrs. 4 months in, feel like myself and distant from negative thoughts that tore me apart before (I have BPD tendencies which went away too). Persistent side affects are night sweating, upset stomach, and lowered sex drive. Would highly recommend to help you get your strength back and get life on track. Now ready to change career path and able to take care of myself, sertraline truly gave me the help I needed. Also, weekly therapy is important!"

jane April 5, 2019

For Social Anxiety Disorder: "So I've started taking sertraline 25mg 13 years ago. My anxiety before was so bad I thought I was coming out of my body, my thoughts would race and it would drive me nuts. Lately I've been so busy I forgot to take it half the time, not realizing that going every third day I was spiralling down again , started staying inside, and hiding myself away. So now I put an alarm on my phone to take it every morning. And it I'm back to square one where I feel dizzy and spikes of anxiety, but it gets worse before it gets better, I will never skip my pill ever again!!! I tell everyone to try this med , it gave me my life back at one point, it is normal at the start that things do get worse for a while and than it will slowly get better and better !! Stick it out !!!!"

Gg (taken for 10 years or more) March 31, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for Panic Disorder: "I've been on zoloft for 8 months for panic attacks and social anxiety. I totally feel the best version of my self! The first difference was at 10 days was that I went out on my own! And after 12 weeks I started feeling myself again! I'm on 100mg dosage."

Dora (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I have just taken my first tablet after being prescribed 50mg per day. I feel more anxious than I did previously as I think I’m expecting the side effects to be really difficult. I’m sat in my car watching people in a Tesco car park, so I can reach out to them if I need to. I’m petrified. I am trying to tell myself that these tablets will change my life for the better. I hope they do."

Ellesbells (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "Was prescribed Sertraline for depression and went up to 100mg. Unfortunately, it didn't do a whole lot for me (but without side effects), and whilst potentially helping a little bit with depression, I am still not 100% and a bit OCD and anxious."

Ok (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 29, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I was on this medication for 2 weeks and tried to tough it out. I overthink and suffer from anxiety however this medication made it worse. I stopped when I had a nervous breakdown after just two weeks of taking it. I understand people say that it gets better but I refuse to ignore what my body and brain were trying to tell me. I regret ever taking this nasty medication. I pray I get over this for sake of not losing my family."

V19 (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I’ve been on setraline since Feb. 28 and I’m still waking up anxious, irritated and restless. I’ve taken it before and by the 2nd week I’m feeling better but this time around I feel hopeless. My doctor said that if at this point it’s still making me feel this way it’s probably not working and that I should think about trying something else but I’m scared. He also said we would increase it to 75mg instead of 50mg to see if that would help as well. Has anyone gone for more than the 4 weeks and still having the side effects"

Zuzu March 28, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for Social Anxiety Disorder: "Been prescribed zoloft for social anxiety, that also overlaps with BDD. Have only started, day 3, no real side effects felt at this dose, except mild heightened anxiety, which apparently is considered normal for those that do experience it. Will titrate upwards with dose after 1 week on each dose of 50mgs, till reaching 150mgs total. Really hope it helps, its been encouraging to read a lot of your positive responses. Social anxiety can really take away quality of life. Thank you for sharing. Best of luck to everyone."

cafe (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "Just started sertraline about 2 weeks ago. 50 mg for a week and now 100mg. As soon as they bumped up the dose I started having extreme anxiety again. How long will this last. I feel like I can’t trust my own mind."

MH1983 (taken for less than 1 month) March 27, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "Started taking 50mg 4 weeks ago. Apart from 1 day feeling nauseous I didn't get any side effects at first. However by the end week 4 things had got worse, so much so that my doctor sent me to A+E to check for heart attack symptoms! I had an ECG, chest x-ray and blood tests and everything was normal. I was getting pain in the chest, was short of breath, had tingling down my arm and was exhausted after just walking the dog! I was also waking up every morning feeling very nervous. The other night I woke up in the middle of the night suffering a full panic attack and although I got through that the following day the nervous feeling never left me and I had the pain in the chest all day. I decided enough is enough and went back to the doctor who has now taken me off the tablets. I am taking 25mg every other day for a couple of days, then stopping completely. I have friends who are on this medication who have not suffered any side effects whatsoever so it is obviously just me!!"

Topazmids March 27, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I took sertraline for three months to test severe anxiety. After two days I felt relief. It was truly amazing. I was initially tired for two weeks, but this passed. My sex drive dived but I was willing to accept that as a price to pay for calmness. However after about 5 weeks I started feeling anxious again. I went back to my doctor and she ordered some blood tests. Lo and behold my liver enzymes were elevated. Other blood tests and an ultrasound ruled out fatty liver, gallstones, hepatitis etc. I came off of the sertraline immediately and after a week my enzymes had almost normalised. My doctor said I had suffered from drug induced liver injury. This is rare with sertraline and I am my doctor's first case, but it's possible."

Julienneblue (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I had been prescribed sertraline for years and refused to fill out the prescription. I didn't believe I needed them. I needed a health problem addressed and most doctors saw it as anxiety related hypochondria. It wasn't but I was anxious and became a hypochondriac always afraid of the next flare up of pain and later thinking I was on the verge of death all the time. I had OCD as a child which came back in a stronger way, along with extreme anxiety. I decided to finally try this drug just to function. After 4 months I can say it was a great idea and sertraline works for my anxiety and stress. I started very slowly at 10mg for 6 weeks then up to 25 then 50mg. I don't feel drugged. I just feel normal like I did 10-15 years ago. I actually have some brief periods of a weird feeling called happiness. Not ecstatic joy, or bliss, just calm assurance, more acceptance of things and the ability to think clearly and see positivity as a choice."

Medic (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2019

For Generalized Anxiety Disorder: "I took sertraline with much success for 12 years for depression and anxiety after a nervous breakdown. I did not experience sexual dysfunction or weight gain. I did experience diarrhea and lightheadedness for about a week. (sucks because the lightheadedness is what I am trying to fix!) It helped a great deal in the past, better than any SSRI I have tried. I came off of the medication and I didn't realize how much it was helping my anxiety until I attempted to return to work. I suffered migraines for six weeks straight and the anxiety attacks returned. My attacks are so extreme that my speech becomes slurred and jumbled. It is a week later and I am still experiencing the being on a boat feeling. I have seen my doctor and he has told me I have Jan 4, 2018 - Persistent postural-perceptual dizziness (PPPD), for all of these conditions including migraines, Sertraline is the go-to for treatment. I will begin taking 50mg again and up as needed. I know this medication works for me."

Doo March 24, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for Depression: "I am a 34-year-old woman who has been living with depression since I was 12. Depression had me feel like I was Atlas (from Greek mythology) with a lifetime of struggle to roll a boulder uphill. Initially, I was against the idea of being on an anti-depressant. I finally caved in when a break-up threw me into a tail spin of never ending crying and sadness. At the doctor's office, he forewarned me that the first 6 weeks are going to tough and to brave the storm until the medication builds up in my system. I had 3 weeks of side effects that had me feeling more depressed and fatigued. However, I got through it and my life has changed for the better. Presently, I am more outgoing and actually feel like a " normal" person again. I am finally truely and sincerely happy, and have gained more friends because of that. If you are thinking about trying this medication but are still unsure, take the risk. I can't describe how great it is to finally have your life back."

HapaBlasian (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 24, 2019

For Major Depressive Disorder: "A nightmare drug which introduced hallucinations and thoughts of death into my mind. Months later and 3 more changes of medication and I still feel badly damaged by it."

Phil (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline) for Postpartum Depression: "I started taking zoloft about 6 weeks before I had my son for prenatal depression and anxiety. It was residual issues from PPDa after a late miscarriage. I probably also was suffering from some PTSD. I suffered for a long time putting off medication. I am very glad that I finally did it. It has taken a long time. Definitely isn’t a “quick fix”, but I feel so much better. I feel like myself again. I promised myself I would write a review to give hope and encouragement to others."

Kmg (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2019

For Anxiety and Stress: "I tried sertraline as a last resort after years of struggling with anxiety, and I really wanted it to work for me. I took 25mg for 6 weeks. The first two weeks I was very optimistic & feeling slight improvement in my mood (maybe placebo?) However, I spent the next 4 weeks extremely constipated DESPITE eating tons of hydrating fruits, prunes, & lots of water daily. It's hard to tell if the irritability I experienced was because of the medication itself or a result of the constipation, but ultimately I decided that it wasn't worth it, and quit cold turkey with zero ill effects. I felt back to my normal self the next day. The experience taught me that I could feel worse, so needless to say I'm counting my blessings without it "

Cem (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2019