User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline

Leekee July 28, 2020

“On sertraline 25 mg for social anxiety and PTSD. The first week I felt sick to my stomach and dizzy, heavily medicated. I didn’t feel any anxiety what so ever and my racing thoughts and nervousness was gone! So I overlooked the sickness part. The second week I went to a dose of 50mg. I was extremely calm. In fact you could be screaming in my face and I be like okay. I didn’t have any racing thoughts very relaxed. My sickness was gone after two weeks! Although I felt sleepy during the day. I pushed through it with a morning exercise and felt more awake. This medication has been the best so far! I feel normal and less racing thoughts or sleepless nights or being nervous and on edge. My social anxiety is gone. My PTSD has disappeared. This has done wonders for my life! I no longer feel the need to have any drinks to calm down or relax. I can sit in peace and not on the edge or hyper. My Focus is also great also. I’m laughing more and just overall feel better. I’m 2 months now into it and glad I choose to stay on it!”

Kelly July 22, 2020

“I had social anxiety disorder and in the past never took any pills. When I started sertraline at a dose of 50mg my body felt so weird and I was a bit nervous and fearful at first from the weird adjustments. At first it multiplied my issues for like a week...maybe more but wow was I full of life and energy in the mix there. . Now I am loving life. I will talk to anyone. Yes I still may fall back to my old thinking thought of flight or fight, but it doesn’t really phase me I just think meh, and walking every day 3kms does wonders too. I’m on 100mg now and woohoo!”

AvoudSertraline · Taken for less than 1 month June 19, 2020

“Taking sertraline was the worst experience of my life. Day 1 only nauseous and dizzy and some difficulty focusing. Day 2 Dizzy and restlessness. I could not sleep that night began having panic attacks because it felt like there was ice pulsing through my veins. I stopped taking this medication after day 2 as the experience was that bad. I was started on 50mg for anyone who is curious.”

Milly · Taken for less than 1 month June 13, 2020

“Been on sertraline now for almost 4 weeks. It’s been awful, nausea, stomach issues and fatigue. Wife keeps telling me to keep going but it is very difficult. If I see no improvement after week 4 I’m quitting.”

Cane · Taken for less than 1 month June 7, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I don't see why some say: "I don't recommend this medication." Why dont you? Tell us plz: the dosage, other medications you are taking, age, etc. I am wanting to start zoloft but when I read these reviews I don't know what is better, having these panic attacks or trying zoloft. Every body is unique so it would be a great help if any one would give a better description of their situation. I thank all those who gave a great explanation of their situation.”

Butterfly · Taken for less than 1 month June 5, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have GAD, I knew I was needing support emotionally. 15 years ago I had used Zoloft and it worked well, so I asked my doctor if I could use it again. So I started on 25mg and after 2 weeks I upped to the 50 mg my doc prescribed. Honestly week 3 and 4 were the worst for me because I couldn't eat and I felt so much worse with anxiety and lack of peace of mind. Because I was working from home, and others mentioned that the first month was bad. I felt like I was being pushed under emotionally. I had to do a lot of self talk like "I am not my feelings, this will pass" etc. I took my Zoloft at night and it seemed by evening I always felt better, but mornings were so difficult. But right at end of week four, a cloud lifted and I felt peaceful and calm. So I appreciate others sharing their experience because that's exactly what happened to me. And I pushed through it and I'm glad I did because I feel much better. Hope that helps someone in week 3. It does get better. Hang in there.”

MBM13 June 2, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Hey there. I started with Zoloft for GAD and derealization. I started with 25mg for one week and then I upped on 50mg, but the side effects were too bad so I went down on 25mg. My God was the beginning terrible! Anxiety was soo much worse, feeling terrified, depressed, feeling guilt, crying, brain fog and nausea. I lost almost 8kg in 2 weeks because I couldn't eat. My Psychiatrist told me to take 0.5mg of Clonazepam till the side effects lift. After exactly 4 weeks I can say that all the side effects are gone. I feel a bit sleepy, but I am much more calm, no anxiety at all, no guilty feeling. Derealization is still here but much less, I don't care about her so she will go away with time too. I went back on work and started socalizing again. I take only 1/8 of Clonazepam. I will up my dose in a few days, but slowly. I PROMISE you that the starting side effects will pass. Trust me! I know how hard it is. This is a reminder for me too if the upping bring back the side effects.”

MINT · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 1, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “100% would recommend. Took almost 90 days to work. Give it time.”

han · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 27, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “19 year old girl, started on Zoloft 50 mg and now am at 100 mg, got on zoloft to help with anxiety and depression. I was hoping this medication would help me feel like how I felt as a child, back to my old self--confident and lively. Unfortunately I haven't found this medication to solve this problem and I wouldn't say its helped much with depression/overthinking, but I would say I feel a bit calmer overall. Never experienced side effects!”

Yolo11 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 15, 2020

“Never stop this medication abruptly, even if it's a low dose or you haven't been on it that long. Withdrawal is very real and coming off this medication is extremely painful both physically and mentally. My MD advised I stop taking this after only 6 weeks due to the side effects ( insomnia, headaches, nausea). They did not advise on tapering. Only 2 days without this medication I experienced body aches, chills, night sweats, migraines, lightheadedness, and the worst was the irritability and despair I have never felt before. The only relief was taking a small dose of the medication. My brain didn't know how to function without it. So here I am on the journey of slowly tapering this poison out of my body. I know this medication is a life saver for a lot of people but I will never take a SSRI again because the withdrawal is unbearable.”

thatblonde · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2020

“This medication has impacted me for the past 9 months! I took this 2 years ago and was completely fine so thought this time would be the same- how wrong I was. I took the medication for around 2 days then began to experience the worst panic attacks ever! This was not helpful as it was the reason I took the medication in the first place! I spend one night with a racing heart, irritable , couldn’t relax, was in a complete state of despair and panic. Since then I have been suffering panic attacks- I tried other antidepressants but again suffered similar side effects! Thus I began to take the holistic approach with therapy. I can say that 9 months later I am feeling better after the therapy yet still have days of immense panic and depression- this medication has made my mental health fragile and I do not wish this on anyone, please do not take this medication, it’s awful and I honestly can’t believe how easily it is given out.”

Rose April 12, 2020

“I have been taking 50mg of this drug sertraline for a year now. The first couple of weeks I felt better even with tiredness and nausea. These side effects vanished after 2-3 weeks. For years I had anxiety, social anxiety and I believe mild depression as a result of the anxiety. I cried all the time. I would shake when talking to people. Started on a dose 50 mg and it's been life changing. I no longer cry over the little things. I feel in control and have become solution oriented. Rarely get overwhelmed even when things are hard. I speak up all the time now. I recently presented to a large board on camera with little time to prepare, something I never would have been able to handle before. My boss's and coworkers now come to me for solutions and ideas because I come across knowledgeable and confident which was the complete opposite to before. All in all, this drug has allowed me to be and importantly show the person I've always felt I could be but was buried in anxiety. Just needed a little help.”

Miss R H April 6, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Generalised Anxiety Disorder: 24 year old, never suffered with anxiety, panic attacks or disturbing intrusive thoughts before - I was terrified, didn’t understand what was going on. I initially took time off work, CBT, counselling, meditation, reiki and Propranolol to help myself at first. Nothing took it away, so I made the decision to go onto Zoloft. The first 2 weeks, you HAVE to push through the side effects. I was constantly nauseous and at times I would vomit. But now, I’m completely back to my old self! Zoloft has really restored my mental health to the point where I am free of anxiety completely! I’ve also always had terrible PMT since I was a teenager, I have noticed that Zoloft has sorted this out for me too! When that time of the month is approaching usually, I become extremely angry and often cry about irrational things. Since being on Zoloft, I have noticed I am much calmer and happier around my cycle. It’s been like a wonder drug for me!”

Keno · Taken for less than 1 month March 10, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “So far I am on day five and really liking this. I’m on a benzo that is helping me in the mornings with nausea in hopefully will be off them soon. I’m not really experiencing any of the side effects that are listed just nauseous here and there but plan on continuing to take this I’m just glad I found some relief.”

SC February 25, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started having panic attacks and anxiety about physical symptoms I was feeling and trouble sleeping, which were actually caused by anxiety in the first place. My doctor prescribed me 10mg Lexapro. I took 5mg dose for 3 days then raised up to the full 10mg dose. I felt awful all of the time with headaches, nausea, dizziness, more panic and anxiety and would get fatigued in the middle of the day. I also started having tension in my neck and shoulders. Because of these new developments, I was given Zoloft instead. Once again, I had side effects like headaches, nausea and brain fog, but they are not as bad. I did feel bad the first week but things are getting better. While I still am nauseous and still don't sleep until my alarm, it isn't as bad. I have more focus, which I didn't have prior. I'm hoping that if I stick with this medicine, my sleep and phobia control will improve. I have a follow up for 2 weeks from now to see if we might need to raise the dose from 50mg to 100mg.”

Maria · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 25, 2020

“I switched to Sertraline from Citalopram on my doctors recommendation as I was experiencing some sexual side effects. I am now on 100mg Sertraline and I have to say I am extremely happy with it. I no longer experience dread of certain social events, if I do feel anxious about something it’s like the dial has been turned down from 10 to 2. I feel completely myself, I am happy, not stressed and just loving life. I recommend giving it a good chance and don’t be afraid to up your dose. My only side effects were tiredness initially which has now gone and it takes me a little longer to climax - well worth it!”

Edman · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 24, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was in a really bad place. I have had social anxiety most of my life due to trauma in my early life. After experimenting with LSD and having children my symptoms worsened dramatically. I started therapy and after a year I wasn't getting any better. My Dr suggested Zoloft because along with anxiety I had a lot of symptoms of PTSD. I felt it right away. I started at 25mg then up to 50mg and now I am at 100mg. I am a person that couldn't make phone calls , wouldn't leave the house alone, and I am at 0% anxiety. My mind is clear for the first time in years. Someone else used to term fearless and said they could tell people things they never would before. I kind feel that way as well. I had side effects each time I raised the dose but they went away after about 2 weeks each time. It was a little rough at first but I hung in and the last few months have been some of the best of my life.”

fira42 · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was very anxious and used to overanalyse everything. Now I am confident and do not really care much of what people might think. This medication made me also a lot more happier, I've started it for about 5 month now and I've never been as confident and rooted as now.”

Maddie · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 20, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Zoloft was the only antidepressant that worked for me and my anxiety. I go to school for theatre, and it caused me to have nerves of steel when performing in front of a crowd. People complimented my new found confidence. However, my libido dropped so low and after time, I kind of felt like I was just existing and not feeling. I slowly stopped it. It was very helpful for my anxiety, but I still wanted to feel.”

João · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 17, 2020

“It works for anxiety at 100mg per day but the side effects are bad and make me depressed so I have to get off it. Persistent weight gain +12kg in one year. Fatigue, sleepiness, sexual dysfunction. So now skipped to Pregabalin and it has worked much better with no side effects. The withdrawal symptoms of Sertraline is horrible and required a slow taper or you will physically feel so sick, headache, fever, vertigo, nausea.”

Myliene · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 17, 2020

“It was a miracle drug for me. The side effects were difficult for the first month but stick with it. They go away. I had severe social anxiety and it went completely away after about 3 months on sertraline. Started on 50mg and went up to 150mg. I was happy all the time. Nothing seemed to bring me down, I could talk to people without my hands getting sweaty, heart racing, mind reeling feeling. I had confidence in myself. The only negative aspect was weight gain. About 15 pounds and craving carbs which went away when I went back to 50mg.”

Lisa February 10, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I am in my 40s & I suffered a panic attack for the first time while driving. My friend said try Zoloft, so I saw the doctor for it. I kept a log first entry dated May 1, 2018. Day 1 on zoloft: "I felt tired, little dizzy, brain fog - woke up a couple of times feeling weird, not myself. I had stomach upset and diarrhea." Day 2: "I woke up feeling like a zombie. I was very tired, no emotion, but I had to get up, when I was driving & came to a stop light, I felt very anxious." "I hope I'm making the right decision to start meds but do I have a choice???" Day 3 & 4: "...felt tired & having a brain fog. My stomach is rumbling & little nausea but it is manageable." Day 8: "I woke up feeling tired and right now I feel a little anxiety" Day 17: "It's been over 2 weeks & I am driving with little to no anxiety!" I have been on Zoloft 25 mg for 2 years now. Because of reading other people's reviews, I knew what to expect & that kept me going!”

Miss dasiy · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 5, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have been on Zoloft now for 5 weeks 25mg, the first 2 weeks I had bad side effects. Nausea, stomach pain, lost my appetite. Since the first week I was feeling so calm, my anxiety was gone. Now my anxiety has come back, I really do not want to up my dose. Does anyone know if the anxiety goes away, is this normal? Also, what about having a glass of wine, are you able to drink?”

Liza · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 3, 2020

“I saw someone had same exact experience as me! I took 25mg sertraline for a couple years for anxiety & it worked well. Then 50mg made me flat/foggy, increase heart rate, diarrhea, yuck. I have put on 10lbs as well. Just refilled prescription & felt awful! Dull, stressed, stayed in bed all day. Next day, same thing, so I doubled caffeine to function. Took half (12ish mg) next day, was better. No question to me the formula has been changed! Guess I'm going cold-turkey, wish me luck!”

cheebaman February 2, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Had last PA (panic attack) 8 years ago after I snorted a lot of amphetamines and went to a hospital. I had car accident and have PTSD. Went to surgery 2 months ago and after anesthesia stopped working my anxiety come back, chest pain nothing to worry about. I went on vacation and had this panic attacks 3 days in row since I woke up, didn't have any benzo on me so worst 3 days in my life. Went to Doc. she gave me Xanax 0.5mg 3 times a day. Went to Psych. she gave me zoloft because Xanax didn't help. It's 4 days since I'm on zoloft 25mg and feel dizzy any more anxious but it will go away with time. I quit drinking, tobacco, weed after this and it made me more anxious because of withdrawal. I take them at night with xanax to help me fall asleep and when zoloft start to work I'll throw Xanax. My brain cells are messed up from my lifestyle and I know it and they just need to pull back together. Remember you're not alone and things will be better!”

Learn more about Social Anxiety Disorder

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)