User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Social Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 12 medications used in the treatment of Social Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline

Zoloft (sertraline): "Barely effective, TERRIBLE withdrawal period even with slow weaning, irreversible motor symptoms post-withdawal (akathesia)"

Twitchy (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 10, 2019

"I am 21 yr old Male. I Suffered From Social Anxiety, GAD , Depression . I feared to go outside of the house. I used to feel someone is judging me negatively and also I used to go blank in social situations. I used to have shaky voice and feared social situations. I am taking Psychiatric meds from year 2016 and in year 2018 December finally my doctor prescribed me Sertraline. It starting working after 10 weeks ! My dose is 200mg and I am improving day by day. My anxiety is lot less now days. Mood is great , I find now easily to connect with people now. I have tried almost all SSRIs also Venlafaxine, benzos. But in my opinion Sertraline is the best of them. I got my life back. I struggled a lot with depression and anxiety since I was around 10 years old. It takes time to kick in but Its the best SSRI for Social anxiety believe me. I take 200mg Sertraline in morning with 50mg of quetiapine. I am now able to cope stress and anxiety. I love you Sertraline u changed my Life. "

Ayush145ch February 26, 2019

"Unfortunately not the one for me! I gave it 6 weeks with no positive response and side effects that were not getting better. Start up on this one is rough so I would definitely suggest you get Propranolol to curb the physical symptoms of the anxiety. Going back to Prozac for now, it's not perfect but no side effects for me other than mild start up. I wouldn't say don't try it because it may be the one that works for you."

Not4Me (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 18, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft was prescribed to manage my generalized anxiety disorder. I took 50 mg per day for four years. I feel it worked well. I've also been to talk therapy to work on these issues so I'm not forever dependent on medication. It was my plan to wean myself at some point. I forgot my medication for a week long vacation recently. I guess you could say I was thrown into an involuntary cold turkey withdrawal. Within a couple days, I experienced overwhelming nausea. It has been 17 days since I took Zoloft and the nausea is still pretty strong. Aside from the nausea, I have experienced a low grade headache and brain fog. Had I known the withdrawal symptoms were challenging, I might have strongly reconsidered this medication. I used to take Clonazepam on as as needed basis for anxiety and did not experience any withdrawal symptoms. I hope these nausea symptoms improve soon. I rate this medications effectiveness for me at a 9 but rate it as a 1 for withdrawal."

LVD1263 January 30, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): "It works!!!!! First month it's going be terrible but don't give up!!! Stay strong because in 6-8 weeks you will feel sooo much better. I kept giving up and one day I said let me stay strong and I did it! In 4 weeks I took 50mg daily and then 100g then I noticed the difference and started to feel like myself again! :)"

Pink (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 27, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "Was prescribed Zoloft after many stomach issues that caused Anxiety. Dr's seem to want to put everyone on an SSRI that have a million side effects. Zoloft gave me horrible stomach pain that just became unbearable. It seemed to make me happy right away but the stomach pain lasted 8-9 hours a day and got worse each day. I gave it a 5 because it seemed to be doing something if it wasn't for the pain....God bless the people it helps"

blue-sky (taken for less than 1 month) December 24, 2018

"I'm a pharmacist and I've been struggling with social anxiety later on in my life (it started at 29 years). After trying to cope with my anxiety and found that I could not cope with it any longer I went to my doctor and he prescribed sertraline 50mg for me. It started having a positive impact from day 1 even though it was partial improvement. Also came with it some side effects like dizziness, upset stomach and dry mouth but at about 4 weeks into the therapy the side effects decreased (yet not fully gone) and the effect of the medication got better as it calmed down my racing negative thoughts. My advice to you as a pharmacist who has tried this medication myself is to give it time to work- don't stop it even if you have some side effects- it will go away by time! By week 4-6 you should start to feel better! I hope for anyone reading this not to worry from starting this medication especially if you feel that you really need it and I wish you best of luck."

rph December 16, 2018

"Do not give up on this medication early! I experienced bad side effects and worse anxiety until week 6. Was constantly looking at reviews wondering if it would work for me. I had diarrhea for the first week and had bad headaches and a pounding heart for two. After two weeks it seemed to be working but then I went back to feeling horrible after a few days. Now after 6 weeks I'm finally feeling comfortable around people and my mood has improved a lot. I'm actually enjoying being in social situations! I didn't realize how bad my anxiety was until feeling what its like to feel normal. My relationships have improved and I feel so much more confident. This medication can be truly life changing so push through the first weeks of feeling horrible and don't forget it can take 8 weeks or more to experience the effects. It's so worth it!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I really had a great experience with Zoloft. When I first started the medication, I was on cloud 9. I felt happier than I had in years. My anxiety improved dramatically. Sadly, as time went on (years into taking it), my body stop responding as well. My Dr raised my dosage - as high as 150mg. At that dosage, I felt like a zombie. I was tired all the time, so I had to stop taking it. Still the best SSRI I have tried..."

Pat F (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 8, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "This medication worked very well for my social anxiety, the main reason I was taking it. Started taking it in Nov. 2015 when I was 17. As the years went maybe in late 18/ 19 years old I believe that I have changed and developed with life changes and all that which has effected how my brain works. During this time the dose I was taking increased. The highest dose I took before I no longer want to take it was 150 mg. Though it still helped with the social aspect of my life I now struggle harder with the depression side also other things and that makes it, for me, seem pointless to keep taking it as my social anxiety doesn't seem to be my main issue anymore. Things happen and everyone is constantly changing so I think it was affective when it was needed. -11/08/2018"

DazzlingBird (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 9, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started this medication a week ago for anxiety and IBS. Within the first 24 hours of taking it, I was already experiencing almost all the side effects. Nausea, increased anxiety, dizziness, loss of appetite, headache, stomach pain, and drowsiness. I kept taking it because the side effects should subside after a week or two, but they were too severe to continue taking it. I lost 4 pounds in a week and I became so weak from not eating that I couldn’t function well. I stopped taking it today and my appetite is starting to come back."

dvoshn (taken for less than 1 month) November 8, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have suffered for about 20 yrs with extreme social anxiety, I used to drink (way to much) just to get thru family and friend functions, to the point I would not go at all to them as I got too drunk and made a worse fool of myself .. but since my doctor prescribed Zoloft to me, although it has taken nearly a year to feel the relaxed normal feeling that most people have . I now go out and focus on the people talking, usually I’m more preoccupied with my nerves.. now I don’t even realise I’m not anxious and moving around in my seat or talking too fast hoping no one would talk to me as I would get red and stutter and embarrassed. From my experience would highly recommend it.. it does take a while ,but if you like me avoided social experiences , it’s worth the wait xx"

Lee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 2, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am a teenage girl and I was on zoloft for almost 2 months. At first, it worked really well. I felt like a badass, like I could do anything. It really helped my anxiety and depression at first. Then, after a while, I felt like a zombie. I could feel nothing except for anger. I was so mad all the time. I became so cold and mean, I was rude to all my friends and even if I tried to stop this, the mean words would just come out."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I think Zoloft caused permanent brain damage and more depression than I had before. I was only on 50mg for about 3 or 4 months but started having serious memory problems like having no clue where I parked. Not even a general direction. The scariest part was that I noticed when people were talking to me things stopped registering. Like I was trying to listen but couldn't. I stopped taking it hoping this would go away but it didn't after over 2 yrs now. And now I'm left with more depression than before and serious cognitive issues. I might not be able to keep my job or function in life anymore. It did make me feel better and be more social but wasn't worth it."

Aaronavich (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 5, 2018

"I've taken Sertraline for about three months now for extreme social anxiety, and it has completely changed my life. Yes, I still experience anxiety, but no where near to the same degree that it was. I'm able to volunteer my answer in class or talk to someone I don't know well-- they still have to initiate the conversation, though. The only downside to Sertraline is that I've completely lost my appetite taking it and I occasionally have a harder time focusing on homework without a fidget. This is definitely worth it, though."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "After three weeks of taking zoloft it started working. And for three whole days, it was working incredibly well. My social anxiety was practically gone, I was confident and talkative. However, the next day it started creeping back, it seems that I've already built up a tolerance. Now 4 weeks in, it barely working at all, for social anxiety or depression."

Danjwp (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "If society wouldn't shame people for taking medication for things out of their control, I would have and should have been on this medication as a child. 20 odd years late though, boy could life had been different. No looking back now!"

T (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 12, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft is effective but side effects can be too much sometimes. However it totally eliminated my social anxiety."

Miraywa (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I suffered from social anxiety for as long as I can remember and I fell into a depression that left me unable to function when I was 22. I had problems with concentration, memory and I was suicidal in the end. I started using Zoloft 50mg and it made a huge difference after a couple of weeks. My head 'cleared', I could finally think and I started to be more outspoken. I actually liked being the centre of attention and I didn't find speaking with guys a problem anymore and started a relationship soon after that. Public speaking was still a problem but at least I could go through it quite clearheaded and not black out. It has been 6 years that I'm on Zoloft and my life is completely different. I am a little scared of the idea of taking it my whole life but I'm more scared of the life without it. I had minor side effects, like the shakes and vertigo but nothing else, I was lucky."

Holdegrade (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 30, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "Don’t give up! It took 8 weeks for it to work for me! I was on paxil since I was 18 (I’m now 43), but the older I got the worse weight gain got so I switched to Zoloft. I had morning anxiety and loss of appetite for the first 7 weeks. By week 8 I noticed it was going away. I’m on week 10 and I’m feeling myself again. I take 200mg."

Tippykanoe (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 15, 2018

"I struggle with pure OCD, social anxiety, general anxiety and high functioning depression, sertraline has been fantastic. I've never been on medicines for any of these till a psychotherapist recommended sertraline. I've been taking 50mg for about 2 months. Initially had quite bad side effects with nausea lasting 5 weeks, the first few weeks were a blur of mood swings and tiredness due to struggle sleeping, yet I persisted. Initially I felt the anxiety lift with my symptoms (tachycardia, breathlessness, tremor) decreasing dramatically, and in the last few weeks I've been so much happier, sertraline has definitely helped my depression and intrusive thoughts."

aslice (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "This drug gave my life back! I suffered from severe social anxiety and panic attacks of course. Only in 10 days I started to see the difference. Now it has been three weeks and I feel fine! Negative thoughts have disappeared and I'm not getting easily stressed about everything as I used to do so."

Dora (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2018

"Hi, thought I’d share my experience. I had social anxiety disorder I couldn’t hold a job down I couldn’t eat in front of people, I over thought everything and struggled to make friends I would have panic attacks when I was around people I didn’t know. I went to my GP, and they started me on 50mg sertraline but I just used to take 2 to make it 100mg as I knew I needed a stronger dose. I went back after 2 month and told them I just felt pretty much the same they put me on 100mg now I've been increased I’m on 200mg but I feel amazing. I'm such a different person to who I was before. I feel confident and I’m happy I’ve managed to get myself a job but it’s not for every one but if you are struggling I would recommend trying this."

Soph (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 28, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "15 years on Zoloft and has it been a life changer. I feel great and social anxiety is 100% gone. Along with counseling take this medication and you can be the person you were meant to be. Life is too short to spend full of worry and anxiety. No side affects for me."

MrCalm (taken for 10 years or more) July 19, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "Taken this medicine for some years now (4-5). The first few weeks I felt dizzy and my mind was blurry. Which for me was a good thing back then. After like 3 weeks I felt much better and it improved my self esteem around people. Like I could be myself again. I started taking 50 mg a day before bedtime. But now I'm trying to get of it, and its difficult because of the side affects. I feel dizzy and get easily stressed out. Some days are very good and some not so great. I am alternating between 25mg and 12.5mg the day after now and it works still. If you are planning to start this medication yourself, I highly recommend it if you can't do everyday-things on your own. Hope this helped. Good luck! (English not my language) =)"

Zol (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2018