User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 41 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

"Been on clomipramine for 25 years for OCD. Brilliant but gave me the shakes! Stopped dispensing in UK couple of years ago. GP put me on Prozac...ok for depression but not for OCD. On Sertraline for 2 years. Great but feel disconnected to myself. Numb that's what I feel. No ups or downs just numb. Haven't even cried when my mum died. But at least I'm alive."

Mogstar (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Have been on 150mg zoloft for a year and a half- works well but some GI distress and tingliness- Dr said to lower to 100 mg and see how I feel- I hope my body isn't only used to 150mg but will give it a go."

Rosanna3 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on 50 mg for a month and it seemed to help a bit. My doctor and I agreed to up to 100mg last week. Since then my anxiety and intrusive thoughts have been awful. Is this just a side effect until it balances out?!"

Mattstevens August 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi, I've been struggling with anxiety disorders since age 17, specifically with OCD. I'm 31 right now, decided to give sertraline a try, by myself, I'm on it since March this year, that is like five months, honestly since first day I felt like a switch in my brain, three weeks later and made an appointment with a psychiatrist, because I thought it would be better if a doctor prescribe it to me instead of self medicating. I supposed he would increase my dosage to 100 mg but he said to stay with 50 and it is still working well with that. He also added me Modafinil, Trifluoperazine and Clobazam and doing fine with that combo, I'm gonna review them later. They aren't miracle, they give you tools for you to keep going well with a good mindset."

Equilibrium22x (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"For me this SSRI didn't work at all. I have intrusive thoughts (no compulsions) and after 8 months on various dosages (even on 225 mg) nothing special happened. Side effects were tolerable: tinnitus (only when I was on 150 mg or higher), restless legs, vivid dreams and some teeth grinding. I had far better experience with fluvoxamine (on it for 2 years) and escitalopram(6 years), but they both pooped-out."

Sammiecat August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I switched from Lexapro to Zoloft when we were trying to conceive as it's preferred for breastfeeding. Although I actually stopped cold turkey when I got pregnant and was fine. I didn't experience any major side effects from this though. I don't think it worked quite as well as Lexapro for anxiety but it did the job."

FlamingoPink August 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been on this medication for exactly 20 days now, and believe me when I say it has saved my life! I dealt with extremely disturbing intrusive thoughts, leading to to severe anxiety and depression for 4 years. After almost giving up come for my life completely, I finally told my GP about my situation, he and a pysch confirmed the OCD put me on 50mg of Zoloft first week then 100mg and I finally feel like myself again! OCD is minimal and definitely manageable, to the point where it barely bothers me and I only know it'll improve because its only been 20 days! It does give a little diarrhea but its so worth it."

imnotmyocd (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Sertraline for a little over 5 weeks now consistently, and I've gradually noticed changes in my mood; I feel more motivated to make breakfast, do my makeup, do my hair, and do things that I used to love doing prior to my OCD and Depression flare up. I started off at 25mg, and I'm now at 100mg.. I don't know if I'm going to increase my dosage anymore but so far so good! :)"

Muniherbs (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I previously gave this a 10. l said it changed my life but since moving cities my anxiety has gotten so bad and OCD has gotten worse - not sure if it pooped out or just circumstances or need to change meds...frustrating"

Matty12345 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I give Zoloft (sertraline) a 10/10 for my OCD, as well as for my Panic Disorder and Generalized Anxiety. I have struggled with these disorders since I was a little kid. Other anti-depressants helped but only a little. Before Zoloft, I was having multiple disabling panic attacks per day, severe anxiety especially at bedtime, and severe OCD including intrusive thoughts and checking behaviors. I have been on 50 mg for 3 months, and it has made a big difference in my symptoms for all of my disorders. My overall anxiety has lessened, my OCD has improved (less checking and fewer intrusive thoughts) and I can now go a week or more without a panic attack. I just moved up to 75 mg to help with remaining anxiety/OCD/panic."

JDK2017 June 22, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I developed a very specific form of OCD in my early 50's that is commonly described as "Ear Worms". It is where a song or a snippet of a song gets stuck in your head and keeps playing over and over. It got so bad it was literally driving me insane. I would have a snippet playing nonstop for WEEKS! Day and night (kept me awake until I fell asleep from exhaustion). Played at work CONSTANTLY where I couldn't focus. I would be in meetings unable to pay attention because I would have a song blaring over and over in my head. After ramping up doses, I settled at 100mg/day of Zoloft which has SAVED MY LIFE! It works! I can listen to music again and not yell at my wife when she sings. And I have no side effects."

SpongeBob828 June 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on it reluctantly for two years at first did not work, tried others and went back to it. Originally 100mg no sex drive and extreme tiredness, cut in half deal with very very mild thoughts and occurrence of negativity, the sex drive modest and normal. So at 50mg slights on everything but able to function and think out problems instead of reacting horrible."

Redpaw05 May 15, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had OCD for 3 years. I could not sit down. I was eating while I was unable to concentrate on anything else than my thoughts. I would avoid going to the bathroom because I could not seat down on the toilet. In order to avoid my thoughts I was walking about 11 km per day. I would fall asleep thinking about something and in the next morning I would wake up thinking the same thing. I had the same exact thought for 3 days until something else stuck in my mind. I am taking 250 mg a day now and everything is good. The only think is that Coffee and Alcohol messes up the medication. One day after two coffees I had to take something else to calm my self down."

georgeeee May 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Worked very well for intrusive thoughts OCD for 5 months and then when I missed dosages and tried starting back on it again it stopped working. Other than that I had no problems with Zoloft."

Sean0810 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started on 25mg and went up to 50mg/day for a relapse of pure-obsessional OCD. It took about a month for it to start working but this drug in combination with learning the principles of Exposure Response Prevention Therapy (ERP Therapy) - a type of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) have allowed me to regain control of my mind. The depression that came with the relapse vanished in two weeks, anxiety and intrusive thoughts slowly dissipated/reduced in intensity about a month afterwards. I feel normal again and I couldn't be happier. If you're one of the unlucky folks who have been blessed with OCD, give sertraline (Zoloft) a shot. Just make sure to combine it with therapy otherwise it won't be as effective."

duderino March 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been on this medication for two days and I have had a significant improvement in obsessive thoughts and my anxiety. I had insomnia last night, but I heard that subsides. I have tons of energy and want to go do things I had lost interest in doing. I don't know if this is just going to be in the beginning, but I have read it only gets better. I have a little nausea, but I have stomach problems as well so I'm used to it. I will put an update later on. I am going to stick this out! update: two weeks on zoloft and my OCD going insane. going to up to 50mg tomorrow. will update."

xoxobecca619 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"a) I wanted to know the "personality" of my OCD; So, after a consult, I also did a QEEG, that was interpretated by my Doc and explained to me: super-anxiety, emotional rooted in my nervous system (exactly in the Limbic system: autonomic/subconsc.); The conscious area, the cortex (Brain's frontal part) was fine; But the relation between those 2 different regions was bad: the feeling of anxiety/worry/doubt was not being properly "filtered" when arriving to the conscious region, making it fatigued by handling with such an intense emotion, resulting in overthinking. b) Sertraline (Zoloft), starting 50mg, gradually to 150mg, and, as it was very well tolerated, 200mg (week 6); + Emotional CBT; + Xanax Xr (3,5mg); + Trazodone 100mg for sleep. c)I'm FiNE"

Paul Jame B. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started Zoloft because I was struggling with obsessive, repetitive thoughts about bad things happening to my children which made me anxious all the time. The first 3 weeks were hell. Even the Klonopin the doctor gave me to get through it didn't help. It felt like my anxiety levels tripled. I could barely function. Between weeks 4-5 I transitioned to just feeling as anxious as I had been before. Then it felt like a balloon was inflating inside my head (in a good way), and the anxious thoughts were bouncing off the balloon instead of being allowed to collect and swirl around torturing me. Then I started having moments of feeling GOOD. And those moments grew into my new reality. My anxiety is 90% better. Zoloft gave me a new life."

MuchHappier (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Hi All Im a young man 24 years old, I have several issues with my brain since many years ago.... I have a Major Depression, GAD, SAD, OCD, and Panic Disorder. I've been tried many option, I tried Hypnotherapy, Emotional Therapy, CBT , also I been to some psychiatrist in Indonesia and Singapore. Finally I met the best psychiatrist in my country, and with him I found best med and finally cure my problem. You all have to try this too and talk to your psychiatrist to ask for prescription. Every Morning I take 1mg Ativan and Every Night I take 5mg Zyprexa and 150mg Zoloft Please try this, please.. Enjoy your life.. Also CBT is good as well..."

TSG from Indonesia please read January 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm a 28 year old female and took generic Setraline (APO-Setraline) prescribed by my doctor for treatment of my OCD for about a year. It worked pretty well and my obsessive thoughts were less intrusive and I felt at peace and happier. It also caused my metabolism to spike so I was losing weight. However after about 2 months, I started developing painful cystic acne. For a long time, I didn't link it to the Setraline I was taking as it wasn't a listed side effect. However, after trial and error of eliminating other causes, I finally decided to stop my Setraline to see if there could possibly be a link. Unfortunately, it really was the cause. By then, my face has been scarred so badly I really regret taking this med. :'("

Sad Face (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed with anxiety and severe ocd. I have been on Zoloft for 3 weeks and am starting to see a difference . I'm back doing things I used to do before my anxiety . I started on 50 mg and now am up to 150. Makes me tired though and need to take afternoon naps. All together im happy I made the decision to go on medication . It's starting to change my life for the better."

Nick r December 3, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "It took a while, but Zoloft has been a total lifesaver for me. I had severe OCD/anxiety and later on depression as well. Anyone who's ever had crippling anxiety knows what mental torture it is. I was so afraid to try Zoloft but finally gave in when I felt like I had nothing to lose. I was on 50mg and the first few days I only felt a little dizzy but nothing else. On day 11, I first noticed some kind of shift. I remember looking at a tree and for the first time in years feeling joy, like I felt as a kid, and just enjoying its beauty vs fearing getting killed by a falling branch. About 6 weeks in I felt less tense overall but still felt it could be better. Started 100mg and my anxiety is gone. I feel normal again! Please give this a try!"

Zovy76 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on lexapro for years before it pooped out and it helped alright.Finally switched to zoloft 150 mg and it did take 2-3 months but ever since I have never felt better. No more OCD/anxiety, I'm a new person, it literally saved my life. 10-10 would recommend and hoping it works for the rest of my life"

Matty1234 November 10, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"i only took it for one day and I could barely orgasm when having sex"

alexjenks (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am a 32 year old female who just started taking Zoloft for my OCD. I have been on it for two days and right now I'm having the worst headache ever. I rarely ever get headaches and they're never this bad. Could the Zoloft be causing this? I'm reading all of these wonderful stories about how it helps with OCD and I just don't know if I can keep taking it if I have this side effect. I'm at my wits end with all of these drugs and I just want to live a normal, healthy life without obsessions and compulsions. But the way, I have bipolar disorder, as well. I am on mood stabilizers and Neurontin."

Laura Yang November 3, 2016