User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 43 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm a 28 year old female and took generic Setraline (APO-Setraline) prescribed by my doctor for treatment of my OCD for about a year. It worked pretty well and my obsessive thoughts were less intrusive and I felt at peace and happier. It also caused my metabolism to spike so I was losing weight. However after about 2 months, I started developing painful cystic acne. For a long time, I didn't link it to the Setraline I was taking as it wasn't a listed side effect. However, after trial and error of eliminating other causes, I finally decided to stop my Setraline to see if there could possibly be a link. Unfortunately, it really was the cause. By then, my face has been scarred so badly I really regret taking this med. :'("

Sad Face (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 10, 2016

"I was diagnosed with anxiety and severe ocd. I have been on Zoloft for 3 weeks and am starting to see a difference . I'm back doing things I used to do before my anxiety . I started on 50 mg and now am up to 150. Makes me tired though and need to take afternoon naps. All together im happy I made the decision to go on medication . It's starting to change my life for the better."

Nick r December 3, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "It took a while, but Zoloft has been a total lifesaver for me. I had severe OCD/anxiety and later on depression as well. Anyone who's ever had crippling anxiety knows what mental torture it is. I was so afraid to try Zoloft but finally gave in when I felt like I had nothing to lose. I was on 50mg and the first few days I only felt a little dizzy but nothing else. On day 11, I first noticed some kind of shift. I remember looking at a tree and for the first time in years feeling joy, like I felt as a kid, and just enjoying its beauty vs fearing getting killed by a falling branch. About 6 weeks in I felt less tense overall but still felt it could be better. Started 100mg and my anxiety is gone. I feel normal again! Please give this a try!"

Zovy76 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on lexapro for years before it pooped out and it helped alright.Finally switched to zoloft 150 mg and it did take 2-3 months but ever since I have never felt better. No more OCD/anxiety, I'm a new person, it literally saved my life. 10-10 would recommend and hoping it works for the rest of my life"

Matty1234 November 10, 2016

"i only took it for one day and I could barely orgasm when having sex"

alexjenks (taken for less than 1 month) November 4, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am a 32 year old female who just started taking Zoloft for my OCD. I have been on it for two days and right now I'm having the worst headache ever. I rarely ever get headaches and they're never this bad. Could the Zoloft be causing this? I'm reading all of these wonderful stories about how it helps with OCD and I just don't know if I can keep taking it if I have this side effect. I'm at my wits end with all of these drugs and I just want to live a normal, healthy life without obsessions and compulsions. But the way, I have bipolar disorder, as well. I am on mood stabilizers and Neurontin."

Laura Yang November 3, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed this for OCD, PTSD, generalized anxiety disorder and severe depression. First, it didn't do so much, if anything, for my depression. In fact, I had less energy and experienced apathy on this drug . That being said, when it came to my OCD, hyper-vigilance & anxiety, this drug was a miracle drug. It took away 85% of my obsessions & became apathetic to my rituals. Unfortunately, after being on this for 5-6 years (and being above the absolute maximum dose @ 250mg), I've been experiencing major "poop-out" effect. I'm worried that something is not going to work as well and work with the very minimal side effects that I experienced with Zoloft, as I have exhausted countless drugs."

Obsessed&Depressed (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 8, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have OCD & PTSD. Zoloft is the only medication I've been prescribed. I have been taking it for 3 months, but am overjoyed at the results. I started at 25 mg. It took a month to start working. The first thing that I noticed was that I didn't feel as depressed anymore, and I lost the urge to do most of my compulsions. I am now taking 50 mg and barely have any anxiety anymore, and intrusive thoughts do not bother me anymore, though I do frequently have nightmares similar to the intrusive thoughts I used to have. I also have headaches and occasional diarrhea, but the benefits far outweigh these minor inconveniences."

Ash Ketchum September 10, 2016

"It works really well! It has taken away a lot of anxiety and agitation I really didn't know was that strong. Highly recommend."

Kelsi121 September 6, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "30/F. I developed severe anxiety due to obsessive "bang your head against a wall to make it stop" intrusive thoughts at age 7. I "grew out" of it as I got older, but it hit back in full swing at 18. After years of walking around with a constant stomachache and having obsessive thought-induced panic attacks (all while living a "normal" life) I finally went to see a doctor. I started out at 50mg and later bumped up to 100. First few days felt like I had mild morning sickness and brain fog, but faded quickly. The only real lasting symptom is restless legs/sleeplessness at night, and I'd rather be awake and restless than awake and hysterical. I do think about/initiate sex less, but have found that (for me) getting started anyway does the trick."

kyriej (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was initially scared to go on Zoloft, as I had been on it when I was 12 for depression and I was told I was a despondent zombie. I'm 18 now and have probably taken 10 different antidepressants. Two months ago I began having horrible intrusive thoughts, and this was the first drug recommended. I agreed to try it after some pushing from my doctor and more experimentation. The first two weeks was hell; I couldn't keep anything down. I lost 18 pounds in two weeks. My OCD is better but it's still not great. I had periods of derealization when switching doses and some of it has stayed. I'm currently on 100mg and probably going to up my dose."

fireash345 July 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Setraline has worked great for me! I have been on it for 3 months and take it for anxiety, OCD, and depression. The first 2-3 weeks were very hard as I feel I got every side effect listed. Headaches, more anxiety, the works! This is the second medication I have tried. I took Lexapro for 3 months prior to Setraline, but it didn't help me much (actually caused more depression). It took about 3-4 weeks for me to fully see the benefits of this drug, however it causes bluntness to my good feelings and extreme fatigue. It is very hard for me to function like this as I am a mother of 3 and need that energy/motivation to get around and not just want to lay in bed all day. I would rate it 7 with my OCD, 9 for anxiety and depression."

TMata (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I suffer from harm-ocd (violent impulsive thoughts), and im taking Zoloft for almost 2 years now. Im currently 23 years old. Here is my review.. It helped me much but it didnt eliminate OCD. Though, it reduced anxiety and the frequency my mind produces impulsive thoughts with. In the past, i had pains in the back side of my head and Zoloft made them go away. Nonetheless, I also had some side effects. If i take it late at night, it will cause me tension making it hard for me to sleep. Additionally, i feel like its much harder for me to climax during sex. I still can ofcourse, but i need to put the double effort."

NickAsim23 June 22, 2016

"hello, i was seriously in trouble with my ocd, tried several meds including cipralex and seroquel but cipralex was not as effective so i changed to lustral, i am now cured and i cant believe it, it is like a second life present from god! if you have ocd problems it is the best, but i guess everyone s system is different so everyone should find what med suits them."

theocdsufferer June 19, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "First month, bad side effects. Felt worsening anxiety, and felt like a zombie. After about 4 weeks the magic happened. My obsessions became minimal, and my depression/pmdd improved imensely. Sideeffects include some weight gain like 15 lbs, and loss of sex drive. However I was on 50 mg, and the improvement in my mental state was worth it. I could only take this drug at night, in the morning it would make me dizzy. I was in this for 4years, it does improve obsessive worrying and depression."

nellie 4 June 4, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "This drug has side effects but benefits is much more. If you suffering from depression and anxiety try it."

batman007t (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 29, 2016

"Wow, I had a bizarre eperience with this medicine. I took it at 11AM. About an hour later, I developed a headache. Then an hour later I started having diarrhea. I began to feel giddy and very happy and hyper, restless, couldn't sit down, thought I was having the most amazing day ever - euphoric-type feeling. Then, as I went to bed, I turned off the lights and I began having bizarre, vivid hallucinations of elephants and ladybugs on my ceiling. Immediately, I decided I was no longer going to try this medicine! Too weird!!! I called my dr. and I'm going back on citalopram instead. But i know zoloft helps a lot of people too, just its not for me..."

Hope78555 April 30, 2016

"I suffer from GAD as well as OCD, with compulsions ruling more than obsessions. My grades at university started to fall and I knew it couldn't go untreated. My psychiatrist prescribed 100mg Sertraline daily and since then my grades have improved to reaching distinctions again. I am also much more calm and don't get angry as easily as I used to. Side effects: I sleep muuuuch more and struggle to stay awake in the afternoons especially. Being a former ballet dancer, I don't have much motivation for exercise anymore. I started to note a little bit of short term memory loss (e.g. entering a room and forgetting why I had gone there - nothing major). Worst, however, was chronic diarrhoea. This motivated a change to 40mg Citalopram daily."

Ballet boy (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2016

"I have been on Zoloft for 5 months now after being on my terrible Paxil (started at 50mg, then 100mg, now 150mg...zoloft) and I had to sleep 16 hours a day, and after being awake for 6 hours I'd need to go back to sleep....that's the bad side. The good side is is that my Obsessiveness and compulsions and depression and GAD are WAY down! :)...and my psychiatrist additionally put me on Wellbutrin XL 150mg and (nicknamed "Welloft") and has had amazing results for my depression and energy level."

Mr. James March 8, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed Zoloft for depression anxiety and OCD. I was excited to take it. My parents kept me on the holistic lifestyle growing up so I was ready for something to really work for me. Seeing how severe my depression and anxiety were is in my adulthood I decided to try it. 1st day I thought I knew what I was in for but once I experienced it- it was strange it's a very strong drug. felt good initially. It was working and I felt happier like my mind was fixing itself. I noticed how dark of a place I was in. 2nd day I started feeling the negative side effects like feeling tired and restless at the same time which is an awkward and horrible feeling and my anxiety got worse. Also dizzy and ringing ears. I may go back on it but I'm checking w my dr."

Jennycar (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft is an excellent medication for treating obsessive compulsive disorder, depression, and anxiety..all of which I have. Ever since I started taking it I have been so much happier and worry free. However I am 24 years old and I enjoy to go out to the bar with my friends..and let me tell you. If you want to drink on this medication, be advised that it will completley cancel the drug out. Everytime I drink I have severe anxiety the next day. But other than that I would recomend this drug"

jesssse789 November 8, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have always struggled with intrusive thoughts that manifest in various forms (obsession with being "perfect", eating disorders, social anxiety, etc.) But for several years of my adult life, I wanted help so bad because I was miserable... Just completely uncomfortable & restless with anxiety that would come and go but stayed with me much longer than it would stay away. I tried talking to local counselors & was very disappointed, as they were not educated on OCD. After a year of no luck with counselors, I found one (university counselor) who knew what I was going through & how to help me. Life is SO much better! I started at 50mg & currently take 200mg"

Finally found help (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started having panic attacks when I was 20. The docs put me on zoloft and it helped me tremendously. Not only that, I stopped being the shy person that I had been prior to that. However I stopped taking it after a year because I figured I had been cured. I spent years after that without any anxiety until I had a severe bout of OCD at the age of 27 which was threatening to really destroy my life. I resisted taking medication for 2 years which was such a stupid idea. I don't know why I chose to suffer even though I knew zoloft would help me again. Anyhow, I went back on zoloft and poof! problem solved. But then I quit again and now after many years that I tried going back on it its not working as much. I wish I had stayed on it :("

jimwest1980 October 19, 2015

"I've been taking Sertraline for 5 days now, and they have been the craziest tablets I've taken. I have severe anxiety, ocd and the doctors aren't sure weather I have a personality disorder also. Within hours of taking these tablets for the first time they gave me chronic diarrhoea, it gave me little aches and pains everywhere and I felt very irritable. I felt like I had taken something illegal it was horrible! But I've read so many times to wait it out and you will feel better. and I have! I realised yesterday how calm I am around people now (usually I'm seriously on edge and can't calm down due to the fact that the table isn't inline with the sofa haha) but its stopped me from noticing these things so much, I think I need to hold out the symptoms."

Bryonnnny October 3, 2015

"I developed Postpartum OCD. My OB prescribed 50mg until I could get in to see a psychiatrist. The first five days I was antsy and weird. I couldn't sleep. Definitely it increased my anxiety. On the sixth day I had several hours with almost no obsessive thoughts. I was like, holy crap, this might be working. After two weeks I was feeling like 80% better 80% of the time. I increased to 75mg and that increase seemed to help a bit more. It also started to make me sleepy. Didn't see the point in going any higher. Two months in now. Lost weight. It's not like I never have obsessive thoughts, but most of the time I feel fine, and that gives me a solid basis from which to continue CBT and ERP."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2015