User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline

Kelly · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 10, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have been taking 100mg Zoloft daily for almost 8 years and I find it really helps with OCD, especially the dulling of intrusive thoughts that would normally cause me a lot of distress, anxiety and were quite frankly, ruining my life. I am now at a stage where I am wondering whether I should attempt to wean myself off this drug, but am increasingly anxious about coming off the drug, as it has been so successful. I've had a few side effects, such as a reduced attention span and weight gain, but all in all, the drug has helped me live a normal life, with only two relapses in the eight years I've been on them. Both times I've relapsed, I have received help from a counsellor or CBT, but have stayed on the drug throughout, maintaining a steady dosage.”

Handful · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 22, 2020

“I'm on sertraline. Have been for quite a few years now. I am at a total opposite end of the scale with my reasons for this search. I was given this medication to boost the happy brain chemicals. Or to not experience lack of them due to my long term drug abuse. As my brain doesn't produce its own seratonin. So I was searching to find if sertraline is the reason why I don't have ruminating thoughts of the disloyal, dishonest heartless actions I've taken this year in active addiction. Now back with my family, they can't understand why there's no remorse. I have no bad thoughts. I hope this helps people realise maybe this drug can help your OCT/OCD. I'm on 100mg.. I've taken myself down to 50mg slowly as the side effects of coming off out weigh the reasons to stop quickly. I've come off before and was in a horrible place mentally. If anyone has experience in what I'm searching for, pls express here. Take care.”

buddy May 17, 2020

“I have been taking 200mg sertraline for about ten years. I was having difficulty making moral choices on matters like to take multi vitamins or not. As a Christian who spent a few years in a church with overly directive leadership in my early 20's, I was too conscious of what my leaders thought about my choices and as a result I had difficulty making decisions. When I would get stuck, I would get increasingly frustrated and start to get increasingly angry. This affected my relationships. The 200mg dose sertraline along with much counselling and a mature Christian faith has assisted me to overtime make decisions when there are multiple choices without being angry. I currently take 150mg daily. The main side effect I experience is a muzzy head, difficulty in concentrating, especially in the morning. I feel very thirsty in the morning and its not until I drink about 1200ml of water that I start to think more clearly.”

Linda · Taken for less than 1 month May 5, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was on Zoloft about 15 years ago under the care of a psychiatrist. She had me on a few different things at once and I remember feeling great for the first time in a long time. I haven’t been on medication for over 10 years, however the pandemic has brought my OCD to the surface. My general practitioner gave me 50 mg of zoloft because I told her it worked in the past. I am on day 25 and I feel awful!!! The mornings are the worst. I feel jittery and emotional. I have to take xanax to even function. I have had this weird pressure and tingling in my head for about 10 days and I wake up 4 times a night in a sweat. With my OCD I, of course, thought I must be dying. Then I started reading this thread and realized that the sensations and emotions could be coming from the Zoloft. I made an appt with a psychiatrist who specializes in psychopharmacology, but I have to wait until next Monday (6 days away).”

Blackcat · Taken for 5 to 10 years April 30, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “AWFUL side effects!!! Took Zoloft in high school and gained 50lbs along with an eating disorder because the psychiatrist brushed off all my complaints as irrational even though the weight gain was detrimental to my mental health (still cannot drop the weight years after stopping), hair loss, constant cold sores, cavities, very heavy periods (and eventually severe anemia), brain fog, loss of creativity, eventually developed severe Tourettes syndrome after stopping, list goes on!! AVOID if you value your health and well-being! Also did not even help that much! Not worth it at all for me.”

Gooderz,144 · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2020

“So I've been on sertraline for 8 weeks, 50mg. The first 5 weeks or so we're absolutely awful for me. Crazy intrusive thoughts, insane anxiety. In the first few weeks I practically spent my life on this checking reviews for some hope I'd get better. Fast forward to now and I feel 60% back to normal. Rather than obsess about a subject from the moment I wake up until the moment I fall asleep, I now get short little 'blips' I'm positive the medication will work even better as time goes on! People just starting, bear with the side effects as you will thank yourself later on!”

noire · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 5, 2020

“Sertraline can make you feel on top of the world, or want to hide in the darkest depths of your mind. I struggled with OCD for 8 years (early signs at 11, bad at 15, now 19) and along with anorexia and high functioning autism, I hid in my brain and let it demonise everything that made me happy. I was losing myself. Been on it for 2 months. 50mg was numbing to begin with and felt distant. Had the nausea and insomnia. 100mg was the worst. I felt so irritable and annoyed and hot and stressed. 150mg was amazing, I felt so much better about myself and my OCD thoughts were massively reduced. 200mg reduced thoughts further, but the insomnia is bad. Without sleeping tablets I can't sleep, with them I'm lucky to get more than 4 hours a night. My advice is to push through it, don't focus on how sh*t it makes you feel in the moment, think about your life free from OCD, make that your goal, your motivation. Hope this helped and that you all find peace one day :)”

JorisVanLooy · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 4, 2020

“I took 50mg sertraline for 6 weeks, didn't feel anything. Now I take 75mg for one week, still don't feel anything. My OCD is quite heavy though. Anybody experienced the same?”

barknts · Taken for less than 1 month March 23, 2020

“I have tried many SSRI for the treatment of intrusive thoughts. Prozac did little help for social anxiety and my OCD. Paroxetine was very helpful for both but it gives so much weigh gain and now trying sertraline at max dose. We will see the difference in 4-6 weeks. Just keep on trying different one until you find which SSRI is useful for you and don't be afraid of taking a higher dosage:)”

Lavender999 March 12, 2020

“This is my 3rd time being on sertraline & it did not take full effect until 16 weeks of using. Till that time I experienced really hellish crazy side effects. My anxiety improved slightly after 1 month, my sleep also, but my depression got really worse. I experienced the worst side effects of suicidal thoughts for 3 months. They all went away at week 16. They appear randomly now but are not a danger for me anymore and I know they will pass away. As I have pure OCD this is medicine for it. And for this condition it really takes at least 4 months to feel positive effect to fully work. Another important thing is that do not rely only on medication itself... It is also your faith to get better and lifestyle with the drug before it turns your head clear. Never ever give up. Once you realize that depression is like being stuck in prison of your overwhelmed mind you can easier open the doors to your new thinking habits to stay healthy. Working with therapist is essential but you can the key to your life. Kissxx”

lyoto · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 23, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “reduces anxiety by about ~30% but with it takes ~70% of emotions. I feel like I have 0 emotions. Also, very drowsy as well as feeling depersonalization/derealization. Will be switching medication.”

NotSure February 21, 2020

“Started on 25mg of Zoloft for 2 weeks, then up to 50mg for 2 weeks then 75mg for 3ish weeks. I am supposed to be upping to 100mg soon but I refuse to put this medication into my body anymore. I don't like the person I am becoming while taking this med. Before taking I was constantly crying and sad from stress and intrusive thoughts. Since taking, my intrusive thoughts are still just as bad but the crying has stopped. I feel nothing, just numb. I have intrusive thoughts but I don’t get upset about them. In saying this, I don’t feel any happy moments EVER. It is like this med has flatlined me. It is making me lazy and unmotivated as well, I have no motivation anymore and would just rather be doing nothing, which is not like me. I also completely lost my sex drive and cannot do anything.. I feel like this drug is doing more harm than good. It took way too long to get into my system and now that it is in, i just want it out. Would NOT recommend.”

Neal · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 15, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have moved on and off sertraline, as well as increased and decreased doses, for the last few years. Consistently (at all doses) I find that it has helped alleviate obsessions, as well as the anxiety and distress associated with the obsessions. Thus far I have found the best results when mixing a medium dose (~100mg/day for a 200lb male) with exercise and CBT. I’ve found 50mg doesn’t help me very much with obsessions but it does help with some of my GAD symptoms; 200mg w/ CBT alleviated almost all major obsessions, but the dose was too hefty and I was struggling with side effects such as energy levels and fatigue. I am currently on 50mg and planning to push it back to 100mg while maintaining CBT & consistent exercise.”

cwilson · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 29, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I know for some this drug has done wonders. But in my experience it did nothing but make me worse. I had horrible IBS problems on it to where I had to go to a GI doctor. It made me unable to sleep, eat and enjoy life. I had no energy on it, at times it would make me have such bad anxiety that I would get hot flashes on my neck. I do not like SSRI's they do nothing but make someone fat and sick. but that is my experience. Did not do anything for my OCD issues or BDD issues.”

Auntieve · Taken for less than 1 month January 15, 2020

“Taken 50mg sertaline for 24 days, panic at night, headache, no motivation, sleeping 10 hours, still obsessional worries and fears, anxiety, not hungry, never had all this before, relatively felt I could cope somewhat. Now worse. Is it worth continuing. Feel like stopping gradually and back to my old meds, marplan. I will continue until next week but have bad side effects.”

Abbs · Taken for less than 1 month January 14, 2020

“Came off marplan drug after 23 years, started sertraline 25 mg for 11 days, 50 mg now for 23 days, still getting panic attacks. Feel worse still. Does it get better, do not like being like this.”

Ann · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 23, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I recently got diagnosed with OCD (almost 2 mouths ago). My therapist suggested I start taking something to better deal with this issue and recommend Zoloft dose 50mg/per day. I can honestly say it changed my life for the better. Usually antidepressants work for OCD patients to around a 40%-80% improvement rate, and I can proudly say I am one of the people with higher percentage. When it comes to side effects I do get a little bit nauseous and I'm generally more tired, but apart from that I feel much better and my only concern at the moment is it stopping to work for me.”

Nat December 10, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “Well this was my first experience taking any sort of medication for OCD. I am in my twenties and didn't notice a difference until around a month and a half. I gained 35 pounds within 2 months and started to become depressed (numbing feeling). I have had anxiety and obsession my whole life but began to feel like I was failing in everything. I couldn't continue school or work and made me feel extremely sensitive. It didn't work for me so I got off of it due to the major side effects it had.”

JPknee · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 7, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have been taking Zoloft regularly for about 3 years. After taking celexa forever, which was largely ineffective, I was given Zoloft and was skeptical. However, this drug has given me a big part of my life back. It has put both my OCD and depression into remission, meaning they affect my life pretty minimally now. No more obsessive thoughts, no ritual type behaviors. I have hope again. I suffer from bipolar 1 as well, and this in addition to Lamictal (mood stabilizer) has saved my life, no joke. Please consider giving this a shot.”

Warriorprincess1985 December 2, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “All my life I've had irrational fears & ocd. Every time I quit zoloft I'd spiral. Back on at 50mg moving up to 100mg tomorrow. Zoloft gives me the confidence I need to live instead of hiding with fear. I'm only on day 4 but already feel slightly better. Will update in 4 weeks.”

Josh November 29, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “BEST DRUG EVER! Lets start from the beginning. Im 17 and about 4 months ago I greened out on edibles. Little did I know my family has past mental health problems :/ and sure enough this brought them out. I was high for a literal week and thought the intrusive thoughts/ paranoia would soon stop. It didn’t. My life tuned into a nightmare. I started to feel extremely disconnected from reality and had anxiety so bad it was debilitating. Me being a stupid stubborn 17 year old I thought I could let it pass. It also didn’t. I finally gave in and told my parents. The doc gave me 100mg of Zoloft to take. The first week was GREAT. I felt high as a kite, numb, and out of it. I can see how people can’t handle it and panic but I looked at the bright side. The dream were EPIC. The next day I woke up and I FELT LIKE THE OLD ME! I just felt normal! Another upside is delayed ejaculation lol can last in the bed for 3 hours now. Girlfriend loves it! 10/10 just push through the first week or so”

Tom Dunn · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 4, 2019

“Sertraline is a beautiful drug. It has helped me immensely with my OCD symptoms - from intrusive thoughts to feeling anxious for no reason. I believe this drug will work best when used in combination with therapy. I would also recommend reading the book "The Dare Response". This has helped me move forward with my anxious sensations and nonsense thoughts. The drug (sertraline has helped me implement what I needed to do. I have tried coming off sertraline twice now and my OCD relapses very hard. I believe I will use this drug for most of my life (I don't mind as long term side effects is next zero) I just need to remind myself that I need to stay on the medication as it helps me big time. I recommend giving it a go, but please learn CBT, ERP or adopt healthy habits along side the medication, you will feel much better for it.”

May may October 10, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I’ve dealt with anxiety since I was 22 (now 28). At the start of this year my anxiety got bad. At my lowest I decided to make an appointment to see a doctor. I was sobbing after I got off the phone to book the appointment because I felt my anxiety had defeated me. Little did I know that I was finally choosing to take control. I was prescribed 50mg of Zoloft 4/1/19 and have stayed there. The beginning was rough. I felt jittery, nauseous, and “weird”. It took a month before I started to notice a difference. My generalized anxiety started to fade and it felt amazing! Intrusive thoughts began to settle down too! I was sleeping better, handling stress better, I could socialize better, overall I had a lot more confidence. I take my pill at the same time everyday. I can’t believe how much better I feel today, it can bring me tears. I needed to feel better to see how bad I was. Please don’t be afraid to try it. Give it time! Don’t judge it after 2 or even 3 weeks. Be patient and allow it to work.”

N/A · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2019

“I never thought I’d ever experience mental health issues but after leaving university it happened. It began with depression and then followed with anxiety and last of all Intrusive thoughts. I couldn’t stop constantly thinking about subjects and didn’t know what to do. I started having panic attack’s and anxiety episodes 2/3 times a day. I decided instead of suffering without medication I reluctantly decided to start taking sertraline. The first 2 weeks were a nightmare, nausea, vomiting, aching and no concentration, felt even worse even though I didn’t think that was possible. But then I woke up one morning, Like a clear vision it was odd? I felt almost relieved. It had finally started working. Currently I am still having intrusive thoughts but they don’t effect me any more, I notice them but don’t have emotion to them. For anyone reading this Medication is different for everyone but if you are being prescribed this get through the worst of it and I hope it works for you!”

Hols September 14, 2019

“We’re now 4 weeks on the Sertraline (OCD) my side effects have been AWFUL. Unbelievably tired, muscle aches, struggling to stay awake, irritable, panicky, headaches, nausea, no motivation, body weakness, shakiness, difficulty staying asleep (waking up at 5-6am). Was hospitalised yesterday with dizziness and palpitations and low blood pressure and they think it’s down to my medication as they couldn’t find anything else wrong. I hate this medication and cannot wait to come off it. I see all the positive things of people saying they felt better after however many weeks or months but I don’t think I can stick it out on this stuff for any longer. Will visit my GP yet again next week.”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder