User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Also known as: Zoloft, Zercapli

Sertraline has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 209 ratings for the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. 68% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 40 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline

xxmorgixx August 6, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “I read these reviews over and over again to calm myself with what I was going through. Although thinking back it might of been obsessive. I have been taking this since December of 2020 when I had a bad mental break down where I was crying for a month straight couldn’t work and was having panic attacks all day everyday! This medication has saved my life! I could not stop thinking these obsessive thoughts everyday all day. That absolutely drove me up the wall crazy. It took about a month or two to finally start getting back to myself again. I am able to work again and able to take care of my family! I have happy moments now. Instead of always being in an obsessive thought and trying to get rid of it I can now accept the thought as a thought or yeah maybe that could happen and go about my day. Please don’t give up on this medication. The side effects do subside and you’ll feel like yourself again I promise!”

May may October 10, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I’ve dealt with anxiety since I was 22 (now 28). At the start of this year my anxiety got bad. At my lowest I decided to make an appointment to see a doctor. I was sobbing after I got off the phone to book the appointment because I felt my anxiety had defeated me. Little did I know that I was finally choosing to take control. I was prescribed 50mg of Zoloft 4/1/19 and have stayed there. The beginning was rough. I felt jittery, nauseous, and “weird”. It took a month before I started to notice a difference. My generalized anxiety started to fade and it felt amazing! Intrusive thoughts began to settle down too! I was sleeping better, handling stress better, I could socialize better, overall I had a lot more confidence. I take my pill at the same time everyday. I can’t believe how much better I feel today, it can bring me tears. I needed to feel better to see how bad I was. Please don’t be afraid to try it. Give it time! Don’t judge it after 2 or even 3 weeks. Be patient and allow it to work.”

Things do get better January 3, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “I had a random thought one day that has felt like it destroyed my life. I had the worst thoughts imaginable and it had gotten so bad to where I had to take a leave of absence at work and could not stop crying. I had thought about committing myself because I felt like I was losing my mind. I started working with an OCD therapist that confirmed I had Pure O. It helped me by doing ERP and ACT that I was able to go back to work and manage to live life. I was still struggling everyday and meditation was my only way to calm myself. I'm on Zoloft 25mg now. I have had no side effects. I noticed being able to see my thoughts clearly and distinguish what’s real and what’s in my head now. I am enjoying life and feeling more happy in every aspect. I still get thoughts but they don’t bother me since I don’t feel the need to ruminate or find out what’s “true” anymore. I plan to stay on this low dose as just enough to help me while I continue to do the work.”

Muchbetternow · Taken for 1 to 2 years December 29, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have now been on Zoloft for a solid 12 months (50mg). It has changed my life. I was prescribed it for depression, anxiety and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - it has almost completely resolved issues I have had for most of my life. I hesitated in taking it due to side-effects mostly because I have always been obsessed with my weight. I'm happy to report that if anything, I have dropped weight in the last year. I no longer am tempted to binge eat and just lead a healthy and active lifestyle because I am happier. I really wanted someone to read this who was in my position - who was too scared to try it because of side-effects. My only side effects are dry eyes, I need to sleep 8 hours a night (instead of 5-6) and that's the worst of it!”

Emiwis · Taken for less than 1 month April 29, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was just recently diagnosed with obsessive compulsive disorder a few months ago. I developed a strange form of OCD in which I engage in mental compulsions and have to repeat the same words in my head to relieve anxiety. A little after a week and I’m already noticing SUCH an improvement of symptoms. I don’t feel so overly aware of everything and the best part is that I can focus at school!! I was studying for an exam yesterday and I could digest every word without my thoughts screaming at me or distracting me. It really feels as if a switch went off in my brain. My thoughts are so much more positive. This medicine has given me my life back.”

Anxiousmum · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 29, 2021

“Coming up to week 8 on sertraline now and told myself I would write one of these if I ever started feeling better to help anyone desperately looking for some help like I was. It took me a good 5/6 weeks to start feeling the benefits, but I feel I am gradually improving week by week now. The first month or so of side effects weren’t the best, but this won’t be the case for everyone, and I did survive. So make sure you persevere because it is worth it! I still feel I could be better, so may up my dosage now I’ve levelled out, but I am still a far cry from the hole I was in prior to taking it. So give it a try and be kind to yourself. You get no extra credit in life for suffering”

you CAN feel better again! July 22, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have OCD, and honestly, this medication has given me my life back. This was the second med I took; lexapro was horrible for me. I have been taking Zoloft for 3.5 months. I was also seeing an OCD therapist through NOCD. You will definitely see better, faster results if you use this medication in conjunction with therapy. I first did have some negative side effects: GI upset, increased moodiness, fatigue, etc. this lasted for 8 days, and with dosage increases I also felt wonky for a few days. I also LOST weight, which was an added bonus. :)Please know this med is not a magic pill, it does take time to work which can be terribly frustrating at first. But WOW, I cannot tell you what I different place I am in. I just feel like myself again. I do still have intrusive thoughts, but I am ruminating much less and I no longer give these thoughts attention. My anxiety is significantly less and I am just so much happier. God bless everyone, I know OCD can be tormenting but you have GOT THIS!!!”

Kelly · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 10, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have been taking 100mg Zoloft daily for almost 8 years and I find it really helps with OCD, especially the dulling of intrusive thoughts that would normally cause me a lot of distress, anxiety and were quite frankly, ruining my life. I am now at a stage where I am wondering whether I should attempt to wean myself off this drug, but am increasingly anxious about coming off the drug, as it has been so successful. I've had a few side effects, such as a reduced attention span and weight gain, but all in all, the drug has helped me live a normal life, with only two relapses in the eight years I've been on them. Both times I've relapsed, I have received help from a counsellor or CBT, but have stayed on the drug throughout, maintaining a steady dosage.”

Rina · Taken for less than 1 month August 9, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was suffering from depression my entire life, and I didn't even know it. I'm 32 years old and started taking Zoloft 3 weeks ago. At first I suffered from many side effects; insomnia, dizziness, nausea, blurred vision, tired feeling, and even nervousness, was the worst 10 days of my life. After enduring those 10 days, I was able to look at life differently, I'm able to accept flaws in anything, pardon excuses, laugh with my family and friends comfortably, I can see why people thought I was high maintenance.. I was horrible to my family with unrealistic standards.”

Kristianda · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 29, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Suffering with existencial OCD alongside with DP/DR episodes. I went to the psychiatrist and was prescribed Zoloft, 1st week 25mg, 2nd week 50mg, 3rd week 100mg until the end of month 1. The first 3 weeks were so awful, especially when I started with the 100mg tablets, I even had suicidal thoughts to the point where I couldn't even relate to anything. 4 days after the 100mg dose adjustments and everything is fine, more like a magic pill. This drug is awesome, but beware that you will feel way worse before you start to feel better! And every dose adjustment seems to reset the process.”

Char. · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “Been going up slowly on Zoloft to help my OCD. I started on 12.5 mg for 2 weeks, 25 mg for 3 weeks, 37.5 mg for 2 weeks then 50 mg for 3 weeks now 62.5mg. Overall I’m feeling better. Intrusive thoughts related to harm OCD have gone. General anxiety still there but not constant. When I started this medication for OCD and panic attacks I was literally having panic attacks every hour due to the OCD. My anxiety was a 10 now, most days it’s 0-2 every day I do have some sort of anxious feeling but for the most part it’s a fleeting feeling. BEST THING ABOUT THIS MEDICATION... I LOST 20 LBs and continue to not want to eat junk food. I also started working out. Good luck! I wish you the best and hope to continue getting better with time.”

Mac5 June 24, 2021

“I have suffered with OCD for nearly 4 years. I found 200mg Sertraline to be the most effective drug. I had been prescribed other drugs but none as good. OCD is a horrible illness rooted in anxiety. Sertraline definitely helped lower my anxiety & thus make best use of CBT. For 3 years I despaired of ever getting better but the last year has been a turning point. For me once I had the right drug to reduce the anxiety I found it is possible to improve. I got to the point where it was a choice to either carry out a compulsion & knowing how bad I would feel afterwards that I had failed to stop yet again compared to not undertaking a compulsion & sitting with the anxiety until it reduced. Improving was not all plain sailing but I was determined to carry on reaching goals I never thought possible. I post this comment to give hope to other sufferers. I don't know if I will ever be free of OCD but am now at a point where it does not dominate - something I prayed for but thought would never happen.”

Alnumb23 · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 28, 2020

“3rd time on Sertraline, for Anxiety & "Pure" OCD issues. I checked this website often for reassurance so it is fair I contributed. This time I had the worst reaction. Started off 50mg - the first 2 weeks were a nightmare. Awful, deep anxiety/panic took over my mind. Extremely low moods, restlessness, feeling hopeless, and not being able to distract from my negative thoughts were the worst mental side effects. After 2 weeks the worst of the mental side effects had subsided. The following 4 weeks were low, but at 6 weeks I saw an improvement. Increased to 100mg at week 7 and fell slightly back again for a while. At around 12 weeks I started feeling the full effects. Approaching the end of week 16 now and I cannot believe how much more normal I feel! Anxiety has completely gone. OCD thinking is still there but residual. Persevere and know that medication takes time to work. Regardless of what your MH problem is, NEVER give up - help and hope is there!”

Joey576 · Taken for less than 1 month March 31, 2015

“I thought I was too far gone. I have Pure O - every second of every single day was torture. I didn't want to live any more, I couldn't with the obsessive thoughts that were so antithetical to who I was. Constantly I would tell myself who I was but the OCD would always trick me out of my logic; but OCD has your whole imagination at its disposal. I got a lot worse before I got better on Sertraline: REMEMBER WHO YOU ARE AND STICK IT OUT. One day you'll feel like you've been punched and woken up from a bad dream. If I can do it when I was on the verge of suicide, you can too. I believe in you.”

EMay September 24, 2020

“My OCD obsessive thoughts began when I was 14, I’m now 25. I have struggled for so long trying to feel happy, wondering why I felt everything so deeply, being so sad behind closed doors. I since lockdown and coronavirus, I hit a real low. Everything that I got enjoyment from disappeared from my life and I hit an ‘it’s now or never’ point in regards to taking medication. I thought I was unfixable, that I would never feel content and I spent years trying to come to terms with this, but since starting 50mg of sertraline 4 months ago, I have never felt better. I feel so calm and relaxed, genuine happiness from within and an inability to overthink, that I’ve never felt before. The thoughts remain, maybe for a few seconds until I dismiss them. Even on days I feel a little anxious, it doesn’t last long and I have not gotten to the point of despair that I lived in before. My experience has been so worth it and I will continue this medication for as long as I need!”

Ryan · Taken for 1 to 2 years February 17, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “Before getting on Zoloft 50 mg, I had severe anxiety and my brain would constantly find something to worry about. I had rituals I had to follow and I was super obsessive and that was leading to severe anxiety and depression. Zoloft helped me so much as far as changing my state of mind. I am now happier with so much less anxiety.”

Staystrongxo · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 6, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Been taking Zoloft 100mg, Wellbutrin 300mg, and Abilify 5mg for we’ll over a year now for OCD. Every time I try to taper off my OCD spirals into suicidal obsessions, which brings on depression and hopelessness. The combination I take helps but is not a miracle. Did it save my life? I believe so. Don’t be afraid to try medication if you’re already at rock bottom. Stay strong and persevere. CHEERS XOXO”

JimMbama August 18, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “I went years without getting help until about 8 months ago when I finally broke down, saw a doctor, and was prescribed Zoloft. This pill has given me my life back. I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, specifically intrusive/disturbing thoughts and obsessions. This disorder occupied all of my time and energy, to the point where life was unbearable and hopeless. About two weeks after starting Zoloft there were noticeable improvements. After 6 weeks, I was a different person. Anxiety-0, OCD, still there but more of a minor in convenience than life consuming. Side effects were typical at first: nausea, diarrhea, lightheaded, and insomnia. All of which subsided after a few weeks. I highly recommend that if you diagnosed, ask for Zoloft.”

MuchHappier · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 1, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started Zoloft because I was struggling with obsessive, repetitive thoughts about bad things happening to my children which made me anxious all the time. The first 3 weeks were hell. Even the Klonopin the doctor gave me to get through it didn't help. It felt like my anxiety levels tripled. I could barely function. Between weeks 4-5 I transitioned to just feeling as anxious as I had been before. Then it felt like a balloon was inflating inside my head (in a good way), and the anxious thoughts were bouncing off the balloon instead of being allowed to collect and swirl around torturing me. Then I started having moments of feeling GOOD. And those moments grew into my new reality. My anxiety is 90% better. Zoloft gave me a new life.”

Severe health anxiety/OCD · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 6, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have suffered with severe health anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder related to this anxiety for about 6 years. I would spend countless hours a day googling symptoms and doing certain health related rituals, and it was taking over my life. I finally talked to my doctor at the urging of my family and ended up on 50 mg of Zoloft. I didn't want to take it because part of my health anxiety is a fear of any type of medication. After about 3 weeks of it sitting untouched in my cabinet I started to take it. I didn't feel strange - no side effects. Maybe a little more sleepy at night? After about 3 weeks on Zoloft I noticed that I didn't have the urge to Google health symptoms anymore and I would *forget* to do some of my daily rituals.”

Marta1010101010 October 30, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “Zoloft has changed my life. I used to feel like I wanted to stop living. I had anxiety with racing thoughts, feeling short of breath, social anxiety, and obsessive bad thoughts. I no longer feel suicidal and my irritability has gotten 100% better. I still get short of breath sometimes and worry about things but overall just feel so much more even keeled. I waited a month before taking it after getting the prescription because I didn't want to take meds and felt like it was a cop out. I'm so happy I decided to give it a try. I haven't gained weight and don't feel like my emotions are dulled. I feel happier and more hopeful. Strongly recommend.”

Sam · Taken for 1 to 2 years March 29, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have STRONG and SCARY intrusive thoughts that have been driving me crazy. At about 17 years of age I started off with fluvoxamine for about 2 years I was okay, then it started to come back so the doctor eventually increased my dose from 50mg to 100mg. I felt better for 6 months then again increased from 100mg to 150mg and so forth up until I reached 300mg. I saw a new psychiatrist and he changed it to fluoxetine went for months and didn’t help then I was put on clomipramine for months also didn’t work. The psychiatrist put me on clomipramine, risperedal and Zoloft that was just added now so I can’t say much about Zoloft just yet but I feel so hopeless not medication is helping AT ALL. What do I do someone help me through this night mare :(:(”

Katie B August 17, 2019

“I have lived with OCD pretty much my whole life. First signs at 7, figuring out it was 'OCD' in my thirties and being officially diagnosed a few years ago at 40. It felt like a shameful secret I could not share. By my 30s I was mostly using CBT, meditation, occasional therapy and talking to family to help get through. Over the years my ritual OCD had developed into Pure OCD, which I learned to understand more through therapy. But I had never taken medication until I got to a low point a year ago and was prescribed sertraline 50mg. 3-4 week transition. Minimal longterm side effects. Life changing. The OCD edge has been taken away. The duration and depth of anxiety episodes has been reduced. My confidence and enjoyment of so many simple things, like a holiday and family occasions, has enriched my life so much. Being in the moment instead caught inside my head. OCD can be so unkind. I hope you find what works for you and I wish you well.”

Zovy76 · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 29, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “It took a while, but Zoloft has been a total lifesaver for me. I had severe OCD/anxiety and later on depression as well. Anyone who's ever had crippling anxiety knows what mental torture it is. I was so afraid to try Zoloft but finally gave in when I felt like I had nothing to lose. I was on 50mg and the first few days I only felt a little dizzy but nothing else. On day 11, I first noticed some kind of shift. I remember looking at a tree and for the first time in years feeling joy, like I felt as a kid, and just enjoying its beauty vs fearing getting killed by a falling branch. About 6 weeks in I felt less tense overall but still felt it could be better. Started 100mg and my anxiety is gone. I feel normal again! Please give this a try!”

Sisi · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 6, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I never write on Pages like this, but after taking Zoloft for 3 months I have to write! Just so others that might be in a difficult situation can get help! (Sorry if my English is bad, I don't speak this language in my country) I started taking Zoloft after 2.5 years with anxiety, OCD and on/off depression. I was scared to death when I tried SSRI the first time (Prozac) and realised that was not the right drug for me. After another 6 months trying to cope with my problems on my own I was not able to go to work in the end. My doctor recommended Zoloft and the first 3-4 weeks were though. But slowly I started to feel more like my self! I still have some days that are worse than others, but now I can manage. And most days I feel fine and like my self. If you are afraid to start this type of medicine, just try it out! It can change your life, and if it don't you can just quit”

Learn more about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder