User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 43 medications used in the treatment of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Obsessive Compulsive Disorder

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was initially scared to go on Zoloft, as I had been on it when I was 12 for depression and I was told I was a despondent zombie. I'm 18 now and have probably taken 10 different antidepressants. Two months ago I began having horrible intrusive thoughts, and this was the first drug recommended. I agreed to try it after some pushing from my doctor and more experimentation. The first two weeks was hell; I couldn't keep anything down. I lost 18 pounds in two weeks. My OCD is better but it's still not great. I had periods of derealization when switching doses and some of it has stayed. I'm currently on 100mg and probably going to up my dose."

fireash345 July 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Setraline has worked great for me! I have been on it for 3 months and take it for anxiety, OCD, and depression. The first 2-3 weeks were very hard as I feel I got every side effect listed. Headaches, more anxiety, the works! This is the second medication I have tried. I took Lexapro for 3 months prior to Setraline, but it didn't help me much (actually caused more depression). It took about 3-4 weeks for me to fully see the benefits of this drug, however it causes bluntness to my good feelings and extreme fatigue. It is very hard for me to function like this as I am a mother of 3 and need that energy/motivation to get around and not just want to lay in bed all day. I would rate it 7 with my OCD, 9 for anxiety and depression."

TMata (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I suffer from harm-ocd (violent impulsive thoughts), and im taking Zoloft for almost 2 years now. Im currently 23 years old. Here is my review.. It helped me much but it didnt eliminate OCD. Though, it reduced anxiety and the frequency my mind produces impulsive thoughts with. In the past, i had pains in the back side of my head and Zoloft made them go away. Nonetheless, I also had some side effects. If i take it late at night, it will cause me tension making it hard for me to sleep. Additionally, i feel like its much harder for me to climax during sex. I still can ofcourse, but i need to put the double effort."

NickAsim23 June 22, 2016

"hello, i was seriously in trouble with my ocd, tried several meds including cipralex and seroquel but cipralex was not as effective so i changed to lustral, i am now cured and i cant believe it, it is like a second life present from god! if you have ocd problems it is the best, but i guess everyone s system is different so everyone should find what med suits them."

theocdsufferer June 19, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "First month, bad side effects. Felt worsening anxiety, and felt like a zombie. After about 4 weeks the magic happened. My obsessions became minimal, and my depression/pmdd improved imensely. Sideeffects include some weight gain like 15 lbs, and loss of sex drive. However I was on 50 mg, and the improvement in my mental state was worth it. I could only take this drug at night, in the morning it would make me dizzy. I was in this for 4years, it does improve obsessive worrying and depression."

nellie 4 June 4, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "This drug has side effects but benefits is much more. If you suffering from depression and anxiety try it."

batman007t (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 29, 2016

"Wow, I had a bizarre eperience with this medicine. I took it at 11AM. About an hour later, I developed a headache. Then an hour later I started having diarrhea. I began to feel giddy and very happy and hyper, restless, couldn't sit down, thought I was having the most amazing day ever - euphoric-type feeling. Then, as I went to bed, I turned off the lights and I began having bizarre, vivid hallucinations of elephants and ladybugs on my ceiling. Immediately, I decided I was no longer going to try this medicine! Too weird!!! I called my dr. and I'm going back on citalopram instead. But i know zoloft helps a lot of people too, just its not for me..."

Hope78555 April 30, 2016

"I suffer from GAD as well as OCD, with compulsions ruling more than obsessions. My grades at university started to fall and I knew it couldn't go untreated. My psychiatrist prescribed 100mg Sertraline daily and since then my grades have improved to reaching distinctions again. I am also much more calm and don't get angry as easily as I used to. Side effects: I sleep muuuuch more and struggle to stay awake in the afternoons especially. Being a former ballet dancer, I don't have much motivation for exercise anymore. I started to note a little bit of short term memory loss (e.g. entering a room and forgetting why I had gone there - nothing major). Worst, however, was chronic diarrhoea. This motivated a change to 40mg Citalopram daily."

Ballet boy (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 20, 2016

"I have been on Zoloft for 5 months now after being on my terrible Paxil (started at 50mg, then 100mg, now 150mg...zoloft) and I had to sleep 16 hours a day, and after being awake for 6 hours I'd need to go back to sleep....that's the bad side. The good side is is that my Obsessiveness and compulsions and depression and GAD are WAY down! :)...and my psychiatrist additionally put me on Wellbutrin XL 150mg and (nicknamed "Welloft") and has had amazing results for my depression and energy level."

Mr. James March 8, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed Zoloft for depression anxiety and OCD. I was excited to take it. My parents kept me on the holistic lifestyle growing up so I was ready for something to really work for me. Seeing how severe my depression and anxiety were is in my adulthood I decided to try it. 1st day I thought I knew what I was in for but once I experienced it- it was strange it's a very strong drug. felt good initially. It was working and I felt happier like my mind was fixing itself. I noticed how dark of a place I was in. 2nd day I started feeling the negative side effects like feeling tired and restless at the same time which is an awkward and horrible feeling and my anxiety got worse. Also dizzy and ringing ears. I may go back on it but I'm checking w my dr."

Jennycar (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft is an excellent medication for treating obsessive compulsive disorder, depression, and anxiety..all of which I have. Ever since I started taking it I have been so much happier and worry free. However I am 24 years old and I enjoy to go out to the bar with my friends..and let me tell you. If you want to drink on this medication, be advised that it will completley cancel the drug out. Everytime I drink I have severe anxiety the next day. But other than that I would recomend this drug"

jesssse789 November 8, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have always struggled with intrusive thoughts that manifest in various forms (obsession with being "perfect", eating disorders, social anxiety, etc.) But for several years of my adult life, I wanted help so bad because I was miserable... Just completely uncomfortable & restless with anxiety that would come and go but stayed with me much longer than it would stay away. I tried talking to local counselors & was very disappointed, as they were not educated on OCD. After a year of no luck with counselors, I found one (university counselor) who knew what I was going through & how to help me. Life is SO much better! I started at 50mg & currently take 200mg"

Finally found help (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started having panic attacks when I was 20. The docs put me on zoloft and it helped me tremendously. Not only that, I stopped being the shy person that I had been prior to that. However I stopped taking it after a year because I figured I had been cured. I spent years after that without any anxiety until I had a severe bout of OCD at the age of 27 which was threatening to really destroy my life. I resisted taking medication for 2 years which was such a stupid idea. I don't know why I chose to suffer even though I knew zoloft would help me again. Anyhow, I went back on zoloft and poof! problem solved. But then I quit again and now after many years that I tried going back on it its not working as much. I wish I had stayed on it :("

jimwest1980 October 19, 2015

"I've been taking Sertraline for 5 days now, and they have been the craziest tablets I've taken. I have severe anxiety, ocd and the doctors aren't sure weather I have a personality disorder also. Within hours of taking these tablets for the first time they gave me chronic diarrhoea, it gave me little aches and pains everywhere and I felt very irritable. I felt like I had taken something illegal it was horrible! But I've read so many times to wait it out and you will feel better. and I have! I realised yesterday how calm I am around people now (usually I'm seriously on edge and can't calm down due to the fact that the table isn't inline with the sofa haha) but its stopped me from noticing these things so much, I think I need to hold out the symptoms."

Bryonnnny October 3, 2015

"I developed Postpartum OCD. My OB prescribed 50mg until I could get in to see a psychiatrist. The first five days I was antsy and weird. I couldn't sleep. Definitely it increased my anxiety. On the sixth day I had several hours with almost no obsessive thoughts. I was like, holy crap, this might be working. After two weeks I was feeling like 80% better 80% of the time. I increased to 75mg and that increase seemed to help a bit more. It also started to make me sleepy. Didn't see the point in going any higher. Two months in now. Lost weight. It's not like I never have obsessive thoughts, but most of the time I feel fine, and that gives me a solid basis from which to continue CBT and ERP."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "in the year 1997 I was suffering form severe depression. Was put on 100mg of Zoloft and Busperone. I am taking zoloft now for eighteen years. Busperone for fifteen years. I am now off Busperone. Afraid to go off zoloft, don't ever want to go through what I went through for many years. I was on zoloft for 18 years, I have now droped down to 50mg. Plan to go on 25mg soon."

snowremoveal (taken for 10 years or more) August 29, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm 14 years old with OCD. I tried Prozac and it just made me make decisions that weren't like me. Ive been on Zoloft for awhile and it's really helping. I haven't obsessed at ALL. I just don't overthink and I live a great life."

Jay man July 27, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been taking zoloft for years to treat OCD Depression and anxiety. It works great for these however my orgasm take forever and are significantly less stimulating. Should u try to go off these med from time to time to see if you even need them anymore? Or try a newer med with less sexual side effects."

McShane (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 27, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "for a long time I've struggled with OCD, trichotillomania, depression, anxiety, and adhd. now I take vyvance for adhd but for the rest I take Zoloft and I take 150mg everyday. btw I'm a 15 year old female. it's really helped with the anxiety and depression and my trichotillomania has gotten better with the use of the drug lamictal at night which is a mood stabilizer(50mg)"

mentally ill?? (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 6, 2015

"I've been on Sertraline since my teen years and although it was hard for the first few months, the pros definitely outweigh the cons. My OCD affects my life profoundly and used to be so bad that I couldn't even sleep at night, but Setraline helped ease my symptoms to the point I was better able to help myself. I still suffer, but the combination of Sertraline and CBT has given my life some much needed stability."

Anich July 1, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I began taking Zoloft four months ago after being diagnosed with OCD, which I have suffered with for probably 15 years. I started with a dosage of 25 mg and experienced quite a bit of nausea for the first few weeks. I also dealt with a spike in anxiety, which I combatted with Clonopin and relaxation techniques. My psychiatrist slowly increased the dosage to 150 mg over the past few months. During that time, with the addition of psychotherapy, I began to slowly recognize that my symptoms were decreasing. It has become much easier to recognize my intrusive thoughts as OCD, and to say "no" to the multitude of rituals that I engaged in on a daily basis. In fact, since I have reached 150 mg, my anxiety and other symptoms have almost disappeared."

Blair M June 29, 2015

"I suffer from severe ocd with awful anxiety producing thoughts causing me to fear leaving the house and socialising. this medication whilst not stopping the thoughts allows my mind to forget them quickly and see them for what they are. I have gained weight on these but after stopping them and losing the weight I had to restart them again. I tried Prozac (highs / lows) and fluvoxamine (unable to sleep) for a month each but they had no effect on anxiety. Although I have gained back half the weight I can function again and I am truly grateful to sertraline for that. My brain could "feel" the effects of the others but I cannot "feel" sertraline. I just feel more balanced and I notice when it is time for my next 175mg dose. not a cure but helps"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2015

"I've been taking Solotik for 2 months now and what can I say, not effective at all !!"

hiii (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have suffered from OCD for over a decade and it has taken over my life. I've been on zoloft for three months and am seeing progress. It has helped mildly with the anxiety. I am finding that my life choices are changing. I am eating healthier, going outside more, taking up new hobbies, reconnecting with old friends, maintaining a healthier relationship with my family members, my anger has decreased significantly and I am not ruminating on repetitive thoughts quite as often. This medication is very helpful for getting on the road to recovery. I am using it in conjunction with meditation and mindfulness therapy. The only drawback is that it gives me diarrhea and short term memory loss. I have been using post it notes."

Leetlebat June 1, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've suffered from OCD for about three years. It was pretty bad but still manageable, but then two months ago it became unbearably horrible, my life was a nightmare. I would spend almost every waking hour ruminating about my obsessions while feeling intense anxiety. Then I began taking zoloft. I was started on 25 mg and I noticed some improvement within 5 days, and there was massive improvement within 9 days. I've been on it for a month now, and I'm at 100 mg. The OCD is definitely still here, but it takes up much less time and I am able to ruminate without feeling intense anxiety. I didn't have any major side effects. At the beginning I was yawning a lot and I felt more irritable. There's also lack of appetite, and I've lost 4 pounds."

FlBa April 18, 2015