User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 137 ratings for the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. 60% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 26% reported a negative effect.

Sertraline Rating Summary

6.8/10 average rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline

Nikki j · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 28, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “After suffering years from watching my husband and son die next to me in a car wreck. I have finally after 3 years been able to date and move past my life altering tragedy. Although Zoloft is not a cure all it blocks the horrible images. If clears your mind and gives you a positive boost. I'm not sure where I would be without it. 100mg day has been most effective.”

Anonymous January 16, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I spent a lot of time reading this forum while I was waiting for my medication to work, and I promised myself that I would share my experience once it worked. So here's my story: I was a victim of sextortion 4 years ago. After denying/questioning it for at least a year, I have finally admitted to myself that I have Post Traumatic Stress from this. I would experience intrusive thoughts/memories of the event, every day, all day. I felt depressed for the majority of the day, my anxiety got worse, I didn't think I'd ever get better. I was prescribed Zoloft back in December. I started out with 25mg, and worked my way up to 100mg, which happens to be the effective dose for me. Since being on the medication, I haven't been experiencing the intrusive thoughts/memories nearly as much, and when I do have memories, I don't feel so much shame. My moods have drastically improved overall. I can finally say "I'm fine" and mean it! About a month ago, I never would've thought it to be possible.”

EMc · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 10, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have been on Zoloft for around 11 weeks after five years of PTSD symptoms. In those five years I have had a great deal of therapy and have also taken St John's Wort. Both were helpful but I wish I had tried Zoloft much, much sooner. I felt better within days of taking it at 50mg though after a few weeks, my intrusive thoughts returned. I moved up to 100mg a month ago and my intrusive thoughts have almost disappeared. I feel so much better than I have in more than five years.”

30something fem · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 19, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have been taking this medication for 6 years. The first 11 days were very uncomfortable but I am so glad I stick thru it. Onset symptoms were heightened alertness, dry mouth, not hungry. First, I noticed it took away my general anxiety, then OCD, then the intruding, racing morbid thoughts. My dose is up from 150 to 200 for a week per month due to PMDD. Now, I've been feeling like it's working less, we've tried to add on different things. Remeron has probably been the best add on I have found during bad phases. 5mg diazepam is also always with me as needed. Hope you all get the relief you are looking for.”

Cindy · Taken for less than 1 month May 1, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “This is my second day taking the pill of 25mg. Today I felt normal for once. I was motivated to get ready, walk my dog, laugh. I honestly thought I could live with depression. I’ve tried taking this medicine before but gave up on the second day because it made me feel numb. Today is a promise to push through. I’m done feeling depressed. I’m ready to rule the world. I feel fantastic. From a girl who was diagnosed with depression at 16, PTSD at 32 (no meds) until today. You got this!”

Survivor · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 12, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): “After being sexually abused, stalked, and threatened with death, torture and gang rape by my ex boyfriend, I developed PTSD. Every day felt like a waking nightmare, until I finally ended up in a hospital ER because I was suicidal. They prescribed me Zoloft, and I tried different dosages but the most effective for me has been 200mg. This drug has saved my life. I do not experience the same panic attacks and extreme anxiety/ depression and hopelessness that I did before. I highly recommend giving this a try if you have PTSD. It has worked a miracle on me.”

CMan · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 1, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started using Zoloft as part of my medication for PTSD about 5 years ago. For me this medication is extremely weak, in the sense that it took a lot for me to see a little bit of an effect from it. I've been taking 200mg for 4.5 years and I should really be on more, which my doctor suggested, although I decided to cut it off here. I never really experienced any side effects except for a bit of a very, very mild uncomfortable stomach for 2 days initially and feeling extremely "wired and awake" when I woke up in the mornings for a bit, after increasing the dose. The reason I started to take Zoloft is because I experienced extreme paranoia, hypervigilance and extreme anger/rage. I used to hate people with a passion and I feel like this medication makes it easier for me to be more at ease around people. If I wasn't on medication I felt I could be a danger to someone. Zoloft helps me remain calm and helps with my symptoms.”

timberon mellie · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 25, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): “i am a Desert Storm veteran and for years i have suffered at the hands of depacote, lithium and wellbutrin (one after the other) and i just felt more and more miserable and doomed. then my doctor prescribed zoloft 2 years ago and it literally saved my life. now i am able to function normally and am really enjoying my life for the first time in 2 decades. it is my life saver and has changed my life forever. before zoloft i felt so depressed and hopeless. thank you, you have given me my joy in life back!”

Angelalove · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 14, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): “I suffer with post traumatic stress disorder from years of trauma and then the death of my mother really was the icing on the cake. I've also been dealing with physical ailments in the past 7 years, and panic attacks since I could remember. With all this going on, it's no wonder that I've became depressed and anxious about life. I am not the type of person who believes in medication without trying alternatives first. In the past I've tried other antidepressants to no avail. Was off of them for a year, but decided to go back on, trying Zoloft this time, when I became suicidal. That was the LAST straw. Been on 50mg for about a month, but started on 25mg a month prior. It LITERALLY saved my life. Don't give up! What one medication won't do for you another will.”

IrishToo October 7, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “My husband died tragically. The grief of losing him was compounded by the events surrounding the suicide. I was overwhelmed with sorrow and despair. Was sobbing throughout the day, felt hopeless. Counselor and doctor felt I was suffering from post traumatic stress disorder. It's a miracle for me. Somehow it helps me bypass those debilitating thoughts. My mind doesn't go there unless I choose to. My feelings were like quicksand, pulling and keeping me down. I have periods of sadness over the loss but they are much less frequent and shorter duration. I thank God for it.”

Brookelookbook · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 19, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “I found out I have PTSD, Social Anxiety Disorder and general Anxiety Disorder. I was putting myself in a bubble and would curl up in a ball just to escape. I quit a job I loved because of the stress, I quit going to to the grocery store and other public places because the anxiety was too much. Ithe was effecting my relationships and I was in a bad place where I thought that was what life was about. After being diagnosed, I was given Zoloft. I looked at my phsycharist like he was crazy. Like this one pill a day would really have the effect of fixing me. I have taken it religiously, every day as prescribed. After 4 weeks I want to cry. I was missing so much, and haven't felt this good on years. I have my life back. Thank you zoloft”

unknownsoldier November 16, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): “I am not actually a soldier (see user name) but due to childhood trauma (diagnosed with PTSD as a result) I have felt like I am always fighting a war just to get through the day. I had fight or flight response to stimuli that are just normal everyday mild stressors for most people and have had so much trouble making relationships work because of self doubt, guilt, feelings of unworthiness, etc. I have been on zoloft for 3 months now, at first 25mg and then starting 4 weeks ago 50mg. My life has changed profoundly. I can be in love without being overwhelmed by self doubt. My depression and anxiety have lessened tremendously. For me, zoloft is a miracle.”

USMC Grunt September 22, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): “Bottom Line: Zoloft worked for me. It saved my life! I used to read these reviews when I was waiting for Zoloft to start to take effect for me. I promised myself that I'd come here to share my experiences and hopefully, provide some encouragement for others. I'ma U.S. Marine combat vet. I had hyper-vigilance and anxiety for 30+ years. I increasingly isolated myself and avoided being "trapped", even avoiding going to the barber. I was in very rough shape. My doc gave me Zoloft - 50mgs per day. It began to work at 4 weeks and really took effect at 6 weeks. 6 months later, I can't say enough about how good I feel! Give the drug a chance to work - it can change your life for the better!”

KathyLilly September 25, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started taking Zoloft January 2020. I have been on 50mg for 5 months now and continuing it for the treatment of PTSD. I have had PTSD since 1998 and going through more trauma makes it to where this medicine helps with the brains desire to drag and have flashbacks. I still have flashbacks but it helps lessen the impact on my feelings. Like a numbness to the pain almost. If I miss a day I sometime get suicidal or crazy off the wall if I forget one day of my meds. I take Abilify with it in the morning for Bipolar Disorder too which works great with it. I still have my memories that meds can’t erase but time and the drug helps to maintain a level sound mind instead of all over crazy! I am much nicer of a person to be around on my meds. Not a cure all but it helps!”

H · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 11, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Very good experience. Definitely feel a lot lighter. I have been taking Zoloft for about six weeks now and I have seen a significant change within myself. I have definitely been more productive, motivated to take on the day, and I have been taking better care of myself.”

Mbfl · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 20, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): “So glad I decided to try Zoloft after suffering with depression and anxiety after my husbands passing. I am calmer and feel somewhat happy. I'm on 50mg There's no need to suffer everyday. Life doesn't have to be so painful Do yourself a favor and try it. It might just take some of that pain away. It's definitely worth a try”

Crystal · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 13, 2020

“I have suffered from excessive OCD, due to an event than caused PTSD, for 2-3 years now. I love Sertraline. I started at 25mg for 7 days then graduated to 50mg after 7 days. I had no appetite, which is a common side affect, which resulted in weight loss. After 2 days on the 25mg, I noticed a huge difference. I have energy, I sleep well, and I am able to focus long enough to complete tasks from start to finish without being distracted. I don't feel anxious, overwhelmed, or on edge like I used to. My only regret is not getting help sooner!”

Human Again · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 26, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): “After seeing the man who beat and raped me get off with a slap on the wrists I could hardly function. I lived in such a state of constant anxiety and distrust. I really didn't want to live anymore and the only thing that forced me to was my children. This drug was a last resort but it really has helped me manage again and restored some sense of calm. Before I didn't want to leave the house and now I can. I feel like I'm becoming myself again. I'm so glad I stuck with it. It saved my life.”

Windy November 9, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was diagnosed with PTSD 8 years ago. It has been a journey figuring out what works and what does not. You hope there is one answer to fix the torment you know as life. There is hope because there is an answer, it takes a bit of searching to find your personal “recipe”. I tried Zoloft and was on it for a year, I had some side effects. Looking back I had made many friends, I was traveling, working out, I was in shape, eating healthy and hiking. It was the best time of my life and I didn’t know why. I met my husband and just had our third child 3 weeks ago and have been back on Zoloft for 3 weeks. All my fear and anxiety is considerably less, I’m more talkative, patient and am less tempted to lash out. I don’t feel as happy or as sad it puts me in the middle. I am also starting EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) therapy soon been seeing a therapist as well. I think it’s important to note I have anxiety and Zoloft works wonders for me, it doesn’t help me with depression.”

Concerned Human · Taken for less than 1 month September 19, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Never felt worse in my entire life. Within the first couple hours after taking Zoloft for the first time I passed out, was vomiting, had cold sweats, hot flashes, headache, and extreme fatigue. Two days after I stopped taking it I still have no appetite and zero energy. I would describe it as the worst I ever felt in my life and I’ve had mono before.”

Rippedinhalf · Taken for less than 1 month October 28, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “After 1 month of losing my girlfriend and her mom in a horrible head on collision and balling my eyes out everyday feeling sooo lost i needed help!! Doctor put me on Zoloft 50mg for the first week to up it to 100mg thereafter... im on day 4 & feel much better already not thinking so much of my loss. The only sides ive felt are slight headache & slight nausea but now i have put down the box of kleenex from crying soooo much & can relax better ...im going to continue to take it cuz the thinking of my loss constantly was nothing less than the worst time of my life .”

HappyPatty · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 15, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have been taking Zoloft for about 6 years for depression. Coincidentally, I also have had post traumatic stress disorder for about 8 years due to a severe medical emergency (53 days in hospital, surgeries, etc.). I have not had any post traumatic stress disorder episodes in months, thought I was better. I just went off the Zoloft (WoHoo!), but just had a TERRIBLE PTSD episode. I had no idea Zoloft was helping with PTSD. I can't afford to have crying/screaming bouts while sitting at my desk. Back on Zoloft I go.”

Worker May 7, 2020

“In 2014 I started having irregular heartbeats out of nowhere. Then I started having panic attacks and waking up in the middle of the night soaking wet with a racing heartbeat and skipping beats as well. I have no idea why. I had always thought that anyone with PTSD was just putting on a show and that they should just be grateful that they came out of their situation alive. I finally got to the point where I looked up to heaven and said just take me and get it over with I can’t take this anymore! So I swallowed my ego or pride or whatever you’d like to call it and went to a doctor. She didn’t ask intrusive questions. I just laid it all out on the table. She suggested giving Sertraline a try. At that point I would have tried anything. So I started out at 25 mg and now I take 100 mg a day and I got my life back! It made me have various weird feelings for a few weeks until my body got used to it. If you are suffering please give it a try.”

cynthnrth · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “I first used Zoloft in 1999 for post traumatic stress disorder. At that time I was on 50mg, it allowed me to function very well. Now I am being treated for Major Depression, Anxiety, and PTSD. I started 50 mg 7 days ago, today I am to up my dose to 100 mg. The only side effect I have noticed is tiredness so far. The one benefit is I have not cried everyday which is a triumph as I had been doing that on a daily basis several times per day. Still am anxious about large crowds and overly watchful of my surroundings. I will post again after my check up with my progress the end of February. Good luck to you and I wish you recovery, we all need that.”

Brad · Taken for less than 1 month May 11, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started taking Zoloft at 25mg for my anxiety and PTSD caused by a bad reaction to some NyQuil I took a while back. At first, when I started taking it, I was okay but still was having trouble. At about 1-2 weeks on it I always felt like my face was melting and could not think ahead. I was in panic mode 24/7, but I could sleep even though when I woke up it didn’t feel like I did. I would wake up, cry, go to school, cry, get on the bus, cry, get home... cry all night until I fell asleep. I was not depressed before I started taking it but I was during. I had extreme thoughts of suicide. I also could not climax or when I got close it felt like I was going to pass out. I have heard that the medication equals out after about 3 weeks but I couldn’t stand it to happen anymore.”

Learn more about Post Traumatic Stress Disorder