User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've got severe PTSD, OCD and social anxiety. I started taking Zoloft to help manage my PTSD symptoms, mainly anger/rage, flashbacks and dissociation. I'm a small male, I only weigh 125 lbs. I started at 25mg and then jumped to 100mg then 200mg within 2 months because this stuff's like water for me. I've been on 200mg for about 7 months now and it's helped a lot although not enough. I still feel my symptoms when they hit me, although they're slightly toned down. Btw I don't feel like a zombie at all, I still feel like myself, just more calm. It feels as though I'm not taking anything at all most of the time. I've basically also never had any side effects except the first day or two I had a slight sore stomach but nothing close to bad."

CMan27 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was put on Zoloft for PTSD. I took 25 mg daily for just over 3 months. It really did help my anxiety and allowed me to finish the school year. With Zoloft I have been a lot calmer, and it really helped me with day to day activities. If you just started this medication and are experiencing side effects, hang in there! My first week made me very nauseous and gave me insomnia. The nausea lasted only a week for me. Even though it did wonders for my mental health, it gave me a lot of physical health issues, so I had to stop taking the medication. It caused me to gain a lot of weight in a short amount of time. Furthermore it caused a slight bedwetting issue and very elevated liver enzymes. Good for anxiety, but my body didn't like it."

CrissyGirl59 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "After seeing the man who beat and raped me get off with a slap on the wrists I could hardly function. I lived in such a state of constant anxiety and distrust. I really didn't want to live anymore and the only thing that forced me to was my children. This drug was a last resort but it really has helped me manage again and restored some sense of calm. Before I didn't want to leave the house and now I can. I feel like I'm becoming myself again. I'm so glad I stuck with it. It saved my life."

Human Again (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been taking Zoloft for about half a year now on 200mg. I'm not taking it for depression, it's being used in conjunction with other things for rage and anger, hypervigilence, as well as dissociation. I've been pretty lucky with this medication because I experience absolutely zero side effects, in fact I could probably take a higher dose right now although I'd rather stick with the minimum and use coping techniques. I still feel like "me" on Zoloft. In fact I feel more like myself then I have in a long time. I still feel my emotions and everything, although I experience them in a healthy, normal way. I don't experience all of the irrational, exaggerated, awful feelings and sensations I used to, in a good way. I feel normal again."

NoName27 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm in my 40`s. I grew up in an abusive alcoholic family. My dad was the alcoholic and my mom a crazy liberal. I developed PTSD, social problems, and severe anxiety. I set a new year resolution to try to resolve my issues. I'm not at all depressed or unhappy but the anxiety was overwhelming me to a point where I could not sleep. I finally caved in and went to a doctor and was prescribed Sertraline 25 mg. For about the first 3 weeks I felt like a new man but I think I need to increase the dosage a bit because I still feel a little jittery. Overall this medication has helped me tremendously! I feel much better and I'm not bothered by stress any more."

Erik1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm a combat veteran with PTSD. My dose was 25mg daily for 2 weeks, then 50mg daily. I Started out with severe headaches and diarrhea for the first 2 weeks. After that the headaches went away. However, I started vomiting every night and morning. Not just minor vomiting, but exorcist looking vomiting. Sometimes about a gallon. I would fill up my toilet pretty good. The diarrhea never went away. I was constantly dehydrated. After a few months I couldn't take the side effects. Tapering off made my PTSD 1000% worse. I would have been better off not taking it at all. Before you start SSRIs look up other people's horror stories. These things are worse than hardcore illegal drugs."

PackingHeat651 May 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have IBS so meds are a problem. I suffer from complicated grief and PTSD as a result of my loss. I finally consulted a psychiatrist because primary care Dr. Not knowledgeable enough. We tried five meds, at least. The best by far was Lexapro but it made the IBSD so bad it became dangerous. Now on 50 mg Zoloft generic after starting with half a 25 my pill and slowly working up. Just had flare of IBS so can't increase another half as Dr. Prescribed until it settles down. At first I thought it was working, not any more. I can't sit still, a foot is always rapidly shaking, even if I wake up during the night. I feel really hopeless and like underneath the drugs effects I'm ready to scream. Have to talk to my psych Dr."

Upstatejmf (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've dealt with OCD, generalized-anxiety and PTSD for years and it had completely destroyed my life. I lost all my friends, could not work, was extremely close to being homeless although my parents helped me, avoided the public in general, etc. The reason I'm on medication including Zoloft is for rage, aggressive tendencies, hatred towards humans, hypervigilence, sensitivity to sudden sounds, distrust, flashbacks, etc. Along with staying healthy (eating very well, working out, etc.) Zoloft has helped me remain a lot more calm and has helped with my aggressive and violent tendencies. I've been on 200mg for about 4 months now. It's not a miracle drug for me but it's helped a lot combined with other things."

Anonymous 99 March 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Tinnitus that is constant. Loud all the time and gets louder occasionally. It drives me crazy to the point of wanting to get off zoloft. I ask every Dr I see if anything can be done for tinnitus. Answer is always no. Is it this medication? Anyone with tinnitus will understand. I also have various problems urinating and sexual stuff. Thank you for giving me this forum."

Jeff626 March 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was going through absolute hell. Dark days was effecting my Family life and work. The Man inside of me said keep going, but I couldn't. I pulled into the Doctors office contemplating going up stairs to the office (anxiety). I felt weak asking for Male advise from my Male Doc? I told the Doctor about my previous experiences on SSRI's and how they made my mood worse. He prescribed me 50mg of Zoloft and after 5-6 weeks, I was me again. It doesn't feel drug induced, it just kicks your bad thoughts completely. No ill side effects. But thats my story!"

MileHigher Ty (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Most notable change is my appetite. I've been athletic my whole life, but gained 40 pounds in one year of from compulsive binge eating. I thought I was just being a pig, which perpetuated the horrible cycle of depression and anxiety. Turns out I was just really, really low on seratonin. The cravings / irrational food addiction went completely away at around 75mgs. Now I have to make an effort to eat enough to fuel an active lifestyle. Stress and anxiety and depression subsided gradually. They're not completely gone, but they're manageable now. Combined with a healthy life style and some intense therapy, I'm able to overcome bouts of anxiety and depression, and those bouts are shorter and less severe. A tool, not a magic pill."

Nikiana February 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Only day three but the physical stress symptoms are totally gone. To be honest though the physical tremors the weird yawning are rather unnerving but I am sure they will die down. I will comment each week for four weeks to update."

Freaky deeky (taken for less than 1 month) February 11, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"VA diagnosed PTSD, MDD, GAD. I had an awful experience with lexapro and went to the va for another option. They started me off on 12.5mg of Zoloft/sertraline every other day to ease my transition into the medication. First time I took it the next day I woke up and had a big grin on my face the whole day. I have since gone upto 25mg and have had nothing but great experiences. Side effects are diarrhea and some nausea upon waking, but coffee and walking around seem to fix that right up. Everyone is different but Zoloft has saved my life from becoming a giant pit of despair"

Miscreant (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Alright so I've been on 100mg of Zoloft for a while and I'm supposed to start 200mg tomorrow and I'll be honest, it's done absolutely nothing for me personally so far.. I'll be starting Risperidone and coming off this one. I've had no side effects as well as no positive effects what so ever, it's a very weak medication, basically like drinking water. I guess if your symptoms aren't bad at all and you want an easy way out of your problems, then this could be the drug for you. These are the symptoms I experience and trying to medicate: Hypervigilence, jumpiness, sensitivity to sudden noises (like a door slamming shut), only experience emotional ''numbness'' or anger/rage, cloudy mind, disconnection/dissociation/depersonalization, etc."

CMan2792 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 28, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've started taking Zoloft for close to a month and a half and I'm taking 100mg pills. So far I've had zero side effects what so ever and I sleep well most of the time. I don't really feel any different, it's like drinking water. So far it's had almost no effect on me what so ever negative or positive, it's practically as though I'm not taking anything although I do feel VERY slightly more calm but barely, that's about it. I don't have panic attacks when I'm awake (only asleep) neither am I depressed. I struggle with extreme dissociation, paranoia, erratic behavior, rage, jumpiness and anger to sounds, anti-social, etc. Maybe the dose is too small so my doc will bump it to 200mg and I'll post again."

CMan27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I began taking Sertraline in place of Cymbalta. I had increased Sertraline dose while I decrease the Cymbalta dose. I was very pleasantly surprised that I did not have any withdrawal symptoms from the Cymbalta while I had the sertraline in my system at the same time. When I finally tapered off Cymbalta completely and was only on Sertraline daily (75mg), within 2 days I knew it was not the medication for me because I suddenly became hostile, depressed, had a ton of mood swings, and began having bad panic attacks. Going back to he doc ASAP to fix this."

Montygue (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Take this with a grain of salt, only took it once, but that once was enough. Took it at night, few hours later became very restless and only got 3 hours of sleep that night. Next day, it was still there and came with fury. Muscle aches everywhere, body twitches, everything. Had to take 10mg hydro to take the pain away, but still felt it even with that. Never taking it again, that pain was unreal."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) September 17, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I really feel better since taking Zoloft I lost my daughter to cancer in 2007 and it really helps my anxiety about her passing."

Jansjag August 30, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed this med last spring (over a year ago), I am professionally diagnosed with PTSD, OCD, depression, ovary issues and severe anxiety attacks.. these were diagnosed PRIOR to being on Zoloft. It helps me feel less in need of doing things NOW with my OCD "rituals", my ovary issues are getting better, it does also help with social anxiety for me. I'd like to say and point out, I heard of a lawsuit going on with Pfizer on this med and I'm very upset on that. First off, if your going to become pregnant, ANY doctor should tell you not to be on anything except for prenatal vitamins. It's the doctors getting the money for prescribing the meds, don't let that fool you. If you are nursing, pregnant or want to have a baby, do without!"

Lady Jerrico (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffer from PTSD and also anxiety and mild depression. I hit the bottle and have managed to regain some element of control. My Doctor prescribed these tablets for me, 50mg and even after the first day I felt so much different. I felt that I had the capability to handle stresses and strains both in work and at home. I know its early days for me, but signs are definitely positive. I have had a few side effects such as upset stomach and a few restless nights but those pale to insignificance, when I reflect on how this is drug is definitely helping me. Obviously this drug is not for everyone....overall, a positive experience for me. Stay strong!"

simwin298 (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Didn't do much for me except killed my sexual drive with the wife. After two weeks had to get off it. Works for some but not me."

Glimmer man July 20, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Haven't felt so calm in a very long time. Taking zoloft for anxiety and depression from my ptsd. My racing thoughts and ruminating has slowed down, and I slept last night for the first time in 6 months with no sleeping pills . Actually feels weird to feel so good!!"

Dragonbornv (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I found out I have PTSD, Social Anxiety Disorder and general Anxiety Disorder. I was putting myself in a bubble and would curl up in a ball just to escape. I quit a job I loved because of the stress, I quit going to to the grocery store and other public places because the anxiety was too much. Ithe was effecting my relationships and I was in a bad place where I thought that was what life was about. After being diagnosed, I was given Zoloft. I looked at my phsycharist like he was crazy. Like this one pill a day would really have the effect of fixing me. I have taken it religiously, every day as prescribed. After 4 weeks I want to cry. I was missing so much, and haven't felt this good on years. I have my life back. Thank you zoloft"

Brookelookbook (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been takin sertraline now for nearly a year. .I was adamant I would never take tablets for anything psychological but after confiding in a Dr about things from my past I thought I had nothing to lose...I will never ever b able to envision just how much these tablets have changed my life. .I didn't know people's brains actually worked so slowly!!! Mine had done over time for the last 30 years!!!! ...absolutely given me my life back :)..ohh..no side effects at all btw :)"

Anonymous April 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After back to back traumatic events in late 2015 I found myself struggling with PTSD, severe depression, panic attacks and anxiety. I was hesitate on starting this medication due to the side effects. I started off at 25 mg and gradually increased to 100mg. Initial side effects included loss of appetite, insomnia, increased anxiety and diaherra. It was a struggle to make it through the side effects but completely worth it! I noticed the full effect after 6 weeks and the side effects subsided after a month. I've never felt so great and haven't had a panic attack in over two months. This medication along with cognitive therapy has helped and made my life 100% better. If you're reading this and hesitate about starting this medication, don't be."

HV (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 11, 2016