User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

"My mother was prescribed these two weeks ago... since then no positives but just worsening side-effects each day... fatigue, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, confusion, and finally hands and legs in pain and unable to move them or walk!!!! Take this medicine with great caution if at all! If on ANY other medication or suffer from ANY other reasonably common ailments such as pain post knee replacements, or mild diabetes, etc. this medication could bring very serious or life threatening side effects! Also if older and more susceptible to complications from diarrhea and other most common side effects listed for medication this medication puts you at risk! No doctor should prescribe this unless a thorough examination of other Meds etc"

Son-Of-Mother (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"this drug gives a huge boost of mental energy and confidence and is very effective for social anxiety. The downside is that is reduces your appetite and libido, and it makes you feel jittery at its peak. Insomnia is a problem when just beginning but you get used to it after a few days."

miccael (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After experiencing probably the darkest time of my life, and sitting through therapy sessions that I felt were getting me nowhere, I finally decided to undergo taking anti-depressant tablets. I was always a bit hesitant as to the fact that they are a temporary solution and would never fully cure my depression. However since taking this medication, it’s almost as if all my dark thoughts, my anxiety and paranoia have all been completed numbed and killed off. For me it has managed to make my days go from being stood under a dark cloud to being under blue skies. This medication has helped me put my life on track and now I am training to become a nurse and feel in control of my mind and happiness. For anyone considering it…I would recommend."

charliesophia October 13, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "This med helps me depression so much! I have severe depression and anxiety and it helps with everything - the sadness, irritability, anxiety, social anxiety, you name it. Unfortunately it causes major weight gain. I mean, I gained 40 lbs in a few months so I weaned off of it, lost the weight with no lifestyle changes. Tried other meds but nothing worked as well so I have it another try. Again, weight gain. No lifestyle changes and gained 70lbs in 4 months. Repeat weaning. Repeat weight loss. Became suicidal. Had to go back on the med. remained on it for 9 years gained 150 lbs and remained stable there. Recently went off again and I'm trying to find another med because I can't handle obesity but can't find another med that works as well!"

Depressedmomof1 October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this drug for over 3 months now, was 50mg but now 100mg. I feel sometimes I am in a daze, I have lack of confidence, I've shut myself away from family and friends and I seem to be bitter with everyone. Also my sex drive has completely gone so I can only put it down to this drug.. I TRY TO BE POSITIVE."

furrygodfather (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used this to handle my breakup depression. It gave me enough mental relieve to get over the suicide thoughts I had been having and now I feel better."

Jaquili October 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor prescribed this medication for my depression. I had tried taking three different brands of anti depressants over the coarse of several years. First one, I don't recall the name, but the side effects were too much for my 18 year old self to handle. Fast forward several years and events, I attempted Lexapro. First dose gave me severe anxiety and I slept only 2 to 3 hours. After discontinuing that, and going another year or so without much to help with how low and anxious I felt, I finally tried Sertralin (Zoloft). I was told to give it at least a month. I am not going to lie. It was rough. My stomach was a mess. More side effects and a month later, I started having patience with my kids again. I don't feel like crying all of the time."

KChristineC October 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very grateful to my doctor recommending this medication when I was very reluctant to try anti-depressants. Suffered from depression for ten years, had a period of severe depression ten years ago. Felt myself entering a period of severe depression again but very reluctant to try medication as many family members had bad experiences. Sertraline has really helped me to have some breathing space during this time and given me some mental clarity to make it through the day. The side effects were brutal, I felt very sick and zoned out in the first three days and it did seem to make me feel worse mentally the first few weeks of taking it. There were many times I wanted to give it up, took 6-8 weeks to feel full effect"

Charliewoof October 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started off at 50 MG of SERTRALINE and after a few weeks I started feeling great, I felt more positive, I could sit and watch a whole show or movie with my family. I liked my job more but my appetite did decrease and it made me feel speedy which also made it hard to sleep. Ok so fast forward to 1 month my Dr. decides to up my dosage since it seemed to be agreeing with my body ( I have depression but mostly anxiety) he upped the dosage to 100 mg tablets. After ONE week I was raging - my family noticed my colleagues noticed. I felt like I was roided out. I was mean, aggressive and hard to be around. I also felt downl like I didn't want to be around people anymore. That quickly it all changed. Made a same day appointment with the Dr to switch meds."

Anonymous Girl Age 26 October 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Sertraline for 11 days now for depression and I can honestly say I've never felt so low in my life. I am having to stick with them as everyone says that it gets better. Really annoyed that these pills can be prescribed with no real warning from doctors as to how very very low they can make you feel."

Prestyn September 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Problem: self-harm, suicidal tendencies I started at 25mg, today they bumped me up to 150mg. I think I might stay at 100mg. I had really bad depression from grades 6-9, cut myself for 4~ years, eventually had a breakdown in grade 8 & was diagnosed with anxiety & depression. So now further down the track I am trying these. The first week was the worst, constantly feeling the need to throw up but never actually throwing up. After that, I actually started feeling good about things. I slowly upped my dosage as time went on & my tolerance increased. Once I tried 10mg of cipralex or Prozac or something and puked the next morning. overall, 8/10. not super great for anxiety."

Anxious Annie (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 26, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking fluoxatine 40-60 mg for years and 4 month ago needed to go back to 60mg. I didn't get any better at all so weening off at the minute to go onto sertraline 50mg. Hoping it works better for me, will up date in a few month"

LRG40 (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on 25mg for about 5 weeks. Nothing changing so I'm taking 37.5mg--1-1/2 pills. Just on my 4th day. And still not noticing anything. Had dry mouth for a few days, and my sleep is a little restless. Suffered from this depression going on 8 years. I'm 32 years old. I've heard that 50mg is the therapeutic dose. So that's where I'm headed, I'm determined to beat this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I've been so scared of side effects, especially falling deeper into this abyss of sadness and loneliness. But I must prevail."

Anonymous September 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am huge fan of this drug I've been on it nearly 2 months and it took 6 weeks to work for me not a minute sooner. I've read a few reviews and loads of low reviews are people who took it for 3 weeks etc but it needs a chance to get into your system. It's changed my life totally I feel normal again first time in years. My advice give it 2 months if nothing it's not for you. Cheers"

Wattylar September 23, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wish I could put more than 10. This medicine saved me. I struggled for depression for 3 yrs. I didn't even know I had depression, everyone just told me it was probably my experiences that is making me feel down & it takes time to get over these experiences. However, I felt like I was alone and numb because I couldn't get over it.I felt I was too sensitive to live in this world & couldn't understand why there was always this heavy cloud over me. It kept getting worst and worst. I felt this was how my life would be forever. When I started taking this medication, it completely changed my life! I'm so grateful everyday & if I could turn back time I would have told myself to take it sooner. It was THE biggest change of my life for the better!"

ckaylee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "MOTIVATION MONDAY: to the lovely folks just like me who spend hours searching online forums looking for something to give you hope. I understand. I want to share what I've learned. When I was in my darkest place I would read reviews about meds not working or awful side effects. I was convinced no medication would work for me because of this. BUT this one did! Please know, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! ALWAYS. You are not alone. You are not crazy. Don't give up. You'll be feeling normal again before you know it. This too shall pass!"

Thistooshallpassxo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Serdep 50mg for nearly 3 weeks and feeling so much better. I've been on Lorien before, but didn't help. My emotional status and irritability is so much better."

#zan# September 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on Zoloft for about 3 years when I was a teenager. It tremendously helped my depression. There were side effects however. My doctor told me that it metabolized slowly and takes a few weeks to notice results.. so in my ignorance, I thought that that's how long it takes the body to metabolize the stuff. For at least a year there would frequently be times where I'd forget to take my pill in the morning.. sometimes for a few days in a row. So when I remembered that I should take it, I would take 2,3, or even 4 of them to make up for days where I skipped. Like I said, this is only due to my own stupidity. I would end up being awake ALL night long.. completely stung out and not knowing why. I developed Insomnia and pretty much went crazy."

justsomedude89898 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Well I went to my Doctor and asked for medication for general anxiety and depression. I was prescribed Zoloft. I took it with a meal and about two how's later, I felt like I was having a heart attack as I had chest pain, racing Pulse and palpitations. And I took my Blood Pressure and it was 140/90, Pulse 110. My usual Blood Pressure is 106/70, pulse 75. After about 6 hours, I began to feel OK again thank goodness. I will not be taking this medicine ever again. Going good back to my Doctor and asking for another medicine."

Loves to read (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been taking Setraline for about two weeks for Social anxiety and depression. . I used to take Paroxetine for 3 years and had to switch to Sertraline. Since I'm taking Sertraline I've noticed that I am grumpy and have a very short temper. Any little thing can blow my lid and I honestly hate myself at the moment. I'm so easily irritated that it really annoys me. Yes, I'm getting mad at myself for getting mad at anything. I experience no sexual side effects which is good because Paroxetine kind of muted me down there. It doesn't help much with my depression or social anxiety at the moment. I'll give it a month and maybe increase the dosage."

WorriedGuy August 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"It help me tremendously, I have a better life now thanks this medication. I feel great about myself and take life as it is, all my negativity has gone. I feel I can breathe again and the heavy baggage I have carried all my life has gone also. I'm happy and everyday feels good!"

lelonaluna (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After week 2 feel like my old self again-before the depression and anxiety hit. Definitely worked for me."

Chucky148 August 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been on Zoloft for years now and love it this medicine saved my life before I started taking Zoloft I was a mess!!! depressed and angry all the time I finally after several years decided I'd had enough I told my therapist I wanted an antidepressant I was going to call the doctor myself but she called the doctor. Honestly I remember a girl I met when I was in college who told me I needed help and to go home for the weekend however, I was reluctant to get help only because my parents felt that at the time antidepressants weren't that safe. I must say she was right I feel so much better not a lot of side effects sometimes I get diarrhea from it but mostly it works"

Carwash August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got prescribed sertraline 25 mg back in April. I take one a day to ease my bipolar disorder and anxiety. At first, it helped some but felt like I could really go higher on dose to be more effective but I wanted to try mixing other natural supplements to work synergistically. I would take turmeric daily, and eventually drink apple cider vinegar as well. At some point in the last month, either the effects of sert had worn off or the apple cider vinegar screwed up my mental health. I have quit sert for about a week and I feel crappy!!! I take fish oil, turmeric, 5htp, choline inositol, multivitamins and jeez idk what is ruining my mind, actual withdrawal or these sups. I feel worthless and guilty it's crazy and I wish I knew what causes it!"

Crazymagoo (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Nothing to share only the fact that I shouldn't have taken this so called drug in the first place and I've learnt now to read the leaflet before putting anything into my system. This drug has screwed me around felt like I was dying with all the symptoms. Glad I was only on it for less than a month and got off it cold turkey and feel heaps good now. I don't suggest this drug to anybody if u are having depression or anything else. Seek some counselling. This is the worse thing u could put ur body through.!"

tinaa25 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2017