User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

"Hi all been on this medication for over 4 weeks and have never felt so bad. Stomach aches and diarrhea. Sickness all day, dizziness, tight chest tired all day and sweating like crazy. Its been terrible. I can't take it anymore. I'm on 50 mg for depression and anxiety. I just want to be happy and not stressed. I don't smoke or drink. I'm a size 12. 44 year old lady"

Roseie June 19, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started Zoloft after being on citalopram. Citalopram worked the best for me but due to my age, my GP wouldn't raise the dose after 25mg stopped helping. I've been on Zoloft since around February or so and it's increased my anxiety dramatically. To the point that I can't sleep and I'm writing this at 4:49am. I also noticed I started to struggle with death anxiety A LOT which I hadn't had problems with in the past. I am still taking Zoloft but will hopefully be changing medication in the next few weeks."

Kjemma (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on sertraline for 2 months. I find I'm always tired sleep more than I am awake...have no energy feel totally drained it's difficult when you have to work..and I still have terrible heads..."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've taken Zoloft for several years: once to help with OCD when I was younger and more recently to help with depression. Overall I definitely experienced less crying and general hopelessness on Zoloft. I still had my bad days but in general it's manageable. The biggest side effect was the weight gain. I gained about 20 lbs in a year. I also felt like I sweat easier on this medication, especially my palms. This was pretty minor though. I'm switching to another medication due to the weight gain and I will say the withdrawals from Zoloft are tough. My emotions were really heightened and anything could make me cry. Be sure to tell your loved ones that you'll need some extra support as you taper off."

cisuggs (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken a wide selection on antidepressant drugs from imipramine, prozac, paxil, and Effexor to name a few. Prozac and Effexor being two of the worst drugs. Prozac I had chronic diarrhea and no therapeutic benefit. Effexor had no therapeutic value and left me completely sexually impotent. Sertraline has helped with my racing thoughts and depression with little or no noticeable side effects. My experiences may not be typical for everyone, but it is the best antidepressant I have found."

Budd G (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 14, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm on 100 mg but I find that I'm always sleepy! I find myself sleeping 12 hours a night and have no desire to wake up in the morning"

Debdebolay4! June 14, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on citalopram for about 2 years after I noticed that it stopped working. My psychiatrist prescribed me Sertraline 100mg per day. It went worse for me. I lost nearly every interest and my concentration in school was just awful. After 5 Weeks without improvement I stopped the medication. I slowly reached my normal mindset. I know that the drugs are no wonder pills, but I really hoped for an improvement like on citalopram. I will try out bupropion next week. Hope it will help more."

max1254 (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed this medicine in 2004 to help with depression. Instead of getting better I progressively got worse and my psychiatrist's answer was to put me on Xanax. Long story short, I ended up in a psychiatric hospital. Turns out I have bipolar II and since I wasn't on a mood stabilizer I essentially lost my mind. Horrible experience."

TWG74 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 9, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am on this medication since February 2016. At that time I was literally hopeless, unable to sleep, eat, work and live.I barely could get out of bed for a shower.I was diagnosed with severe depression. I started sertraline. Things slowly improved ,in 3-4 weeks I could eat and sleep again. The medicine reached its full potential in about 3 months, and since then no sign of depression, I am a much more balanced, happy person right now."

Peter72 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed Zoloft for depression and I was on it for a month before I had to get off. After three weeks I started noticing a lack of feeling and it became difficult to orgasm and once the fourth week came around I was completely unable to orgasm. I want to give it zero stars because of how much that affected me personally but it did help a lot with my depression and I was starting to feel more like myself."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After trying several antidepressants to treat depression, anxiety, and PTSD, I found Zoloft was my preferred choice. My depressive symptoms became tolerable, but only because the Zoloft put me in a fog. I was less energetic, way less motivated, and felt like a vegetable - but I was softer and less [emotionally] abusive, so I continued for the sake of my loved ones. I gave it a low score because the withdrawal has felt like torture. I experienced massive panic attacks, fits of anger/violence, the "brain zaps", muscle spasms, sexual complications, etc. On the plus side, coming out of the Zoloft "fog" has meant more creativity, motivation, energy, focus, and overall quality of life. I would urge others to strongly reconsider getting on Zoloft."

MissjamesM June 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Had a traumatic experience in March, to do with a near death of my husband. I was at the time on Paxil and (as needed) Lorazaepam. To set up an appointment with a mental worker knowing the how the system works Paxil had to be changed and Sertratine was their drug of choice, 50 mg., after 4 weeks to the day, talked dr. to lower dose to 25mg. I believe that Sertraline is not the drug for me is causing other issues with my health . This is not what I want to be on, give back my Paxil and ( if needed) I will take a low dose of my Lorazepam."

V.L.M. June 4, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been on and off this medication for about 12 years now for my autonomic disorder, and it's been wonderful for me! I don't have a good reaction to Paxil, but Zoloft has worked great. I'm much less anxious, my symptoms have subsided, and I've even been able to come down on my dose recently. I don't recommend just coming off of it without talking to your doctor, because you can have some nasty side effects with that, and be warned that it takes between 15-30 days to fully take effect, so you have to be patient, but the results are great with little to no side effects!"

Skathlee (taken for 10 years or more) May 26, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This drug literally saved my life, from suicidal to loving and living life again. It was quite quick acting too, my anxiety after a week was way less and each week it just was less and less. After 6 weeks I'm almost high on life, endless energy, I laugh, can love and hug my kids again, and feel like ME again, and realise how many years it's been since I felt like me. BUT the side effects :( I'm really gutted because this drug has worked a miracle, but the longer I'm on it the worst the side effects become. Stabbing aching pains in muscles in arms and legs, feet, massive bladder spasms and bladder leaking (Never had bladder issues before) and sleep is effected badly too, I wake up wide awake a lot and can't sleep past 4am"

Rosie_Posie May 26, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on Zoloft due to depression and anxiety. I am an Army veteran who was diagnosed with GAD and mild to moderate depression. I have been on a variety of medications, however this one was hell. I couldn't concentrate, my insomnia was worse (I had to take melatonin in order to sleep), I was lightheaded almost everyday. The one thing I hate was being irritated easily were when it came to my family asking me questions, I just wanted to be violent."

ASchaufsa May 19, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Never taken any Antidepressants before. Had my first panic attack about a month ago and felt very down. Had another panic attack 2 days later. Felt as low and desperately sad as I ever have in my life. Came on very suddenly. Went to the doctor and he prescribed me 50mg of Sertraline. First week was awful! Anxiety and depression even worse! Unlike a lot of you, I was terribly constipated. Sleep was disrupted but bearable. Appetite completely gone. No suicidal thoughts but felt so sad and low. However, having reading all your feedback I decided to stick with it. I am now on day 12 (I'm aware it takes a while to "kick in") and for the first time today don't feel quite so bad. Anxiety gone... Will stick with it for now..."

TryingTo (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "This medication saved my life. In 2015, my depression and anxiety were so horrible. I was sad and/or angry all the time and I was having 1-3 panic attacks a day. I've been suffering with depression since about 4th grade (I'm almost 21 now) but my anxiety didn't really get aggressive until I was a sophomore in high school. After I graduated is when it became a really big problem for me. I stopped taking Zoloft in 2015 after a few months because I lost my insurance. I got put back on it in May of 2016. It's been nearly a year and I'm a brand new person. Happier, funnier, more full of life, more excited about life, I feel incredible! I only have about 1 panic attack every 2-4 months and my mood is positive and amazing! So happy to have this"

megs11 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 12, 2017

46 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started taking Sertraline I'd say a year ago. It seem to mellow out the depression and anxiety I was having. My doctor said we'd try it out for 6 months then ween off of it. Once I got off of it, my depression and anxiety came back. So I started back up. It really helps keep me motivated during the day. I'm currently taking 50mg a day. If I forget to take it, it's night and day! I do feel like it wears off around 2:00 PM. I have to wait to talk to my doctor about taking a second dose in the afternoon. My only concern taking a dose in the afternoon will cause insomnia. Also, it's really killed my sex drive. I feel like I have to really force myself to want to have sex now. Has anyone else dealt with this problem, and how have you fixed it"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 11, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been using it for a while, it helps with some of the depression side."

Adele89 May 11, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed Zoloft by my doctor to treat my depression/anxiety (small, 25mg dosage) and after about 4 days in I am experiencing all of the mild side effects including; insomnia, lack of appetite/motivation, foggy head, achiness and exhaustion. I'm 19 and around 125lb, was just wondering if anyone experienced anything similar? *aka is this normal and does it get better* (Note- it is more of a grieving depression due to the death of a parent. I believe my DR. said I'm going through some transition dilemma, so a low dosage is all I need)"

Mls82655 (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

18 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had a breakdown in November 2016, spent the winter suffering terribly with anxiety, depression, and insomnia. Was resistant to trying medication. Counsellor, psychiatrist, and 2 physicians finally convinced me I had bipolar 2, and put me on Trileptal. Slight improvement occurred but I still suffered. Finally things got so bad that I decided to give the Zoloft they had all been suggesting a try. Started at 25 mg and now have been on 50 mg for about 6 weeks. DEFINITE IMPROVEMENT. Wish I had started long before I did, having suffered way longer than necessary. No side effects for me thus far. Some breakthrough depression and anxiety, I handle these days with low dose klonipin. I am leaving the option of increasing Zoloft dose in autumn, for SAD"

Biophiliac (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am 42 years old never took AD drug before. My GF insisted that I should take it for my anger issues, nothing violent but bursting rage in a second, and feel depressed. Started to take the drug 6 months ago, for 2 weeks 50mg, after that 100 mg daily. Don't get me wrong but I don't feel any changes, my bursts are gone and depression like a normal person (daily problems thoughts). I am trying to say I feel normal :) I think it works"

krmzl May 7, 2017

24 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been on 50 mg of Zoloft for 5 days. Believe it or not I feel a little better already. I got up this morning and cleaned my entire house. My mood is better with my kids and people around me. I'm not where I want to be but it's still early. My only complaint is severe gas. I can't seem to make it stop no matter what I try ( beano, gas x) but I'm gonna keep going for now. It feels good not having to fight with your own brain everyday to "try" to be or "act" happy. Good luck to everyone. :)"

Shawna Turnbough (taken for less than 1 month) May 6, 2017

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I wanna take the time out to thank who ever invented Zoloft. I use to be so depressed, I didn't want to be around my kids or my husband. I would tell my husband I was tired of existing. My life was turning inside out. So I knew I needed help so I talk to my doctor I explained to her what I was going through and she said Zoloft would be perfect. I didn't want to believe I needed meds but coming to find out it wasn't bad at all. I'm happy now my kids love to play with me and think I'm so cool!!! My husband who was so patient just loves all over me and he's proud I didn't give it. I'm only 28 yrs old and I feel like I'm a teen all over!!! Thanks Zoloft"

PrincessProsper April 30, 2017