User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on Cipralex for 3 years and it destroyed my life. I lost 3 years of my life leaving school and doing nothing but sit at home worthless. Then I switched to Zoloft, I felt better on Zoloft but still the same complaint of being a “zombie”. I have never felt it is me for the past 10 years. I had tried getting off these drugs so many times but everytime I do it I feel better for the first few months then I collapse, again. It is very hard to be on them, and to be off them at the same time. My advice for you is to try them at last. Never start with antidepressants. Thank you and good luck."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I’ve had severe depression and low mood my whole 24 years.. self conscious, always think about sleeping/napping when I have nothing to look forward to, can’t get myself up and motivated. It’s been on and off for forever! I’ve never talked to a doctor about it until 2 months ago. (My mom made it seem like it was normal which is why I never talked with anyone about it before) My doctor recommended Zoloft starting at 50mg. The first time I took it, it literally felt like something filled the part I was missing in my brain. It was pretty wild to experience! I immediately felt like this is going to change my life and outlook. It does give you weird bowel movements for the first two weeks anytime you up the dosage. I’m on 100mg now!"

Alexislynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed Sertraline by my doctor as I am suffering situational depression. I am on day 4 (4th tablet). I don’t feel any different - I was told 4-6 weeks it takes to feel any different. The side affects are awful but manageable. The worse bit is feeling sick, nausea. The only way to describe it is similar to hunger pain, your stomach constantly churns and it feels very uncomfortable, this has put me off a lot to continue. I feel like it’s all I can concentrate on. I decided that taking it before bed was best as my stomach was affecting my work. I also found that it gives you head aches & feeling zombie like. Very sleepy and tired... so I’ve spent most of the week yawning at work. I haven’t had any further symptoms yet."

Carab123 (taken for less than 1 month) December 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Does not work. Made me worse!!!! And made me sick. This drug is like poison no joke. I don't know how any body could put a good review about antidepressants I was on 100mg for 6month"

Big Dane November 20, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Sertraline since June and now it’s November. So let’s call it 5 months. I started off very small dosages. Eventually increasing all the way to 150mg a day (which I’m on now). I’m 34, Male. The side effects make it very very difficult to ejaculate and very, very hard to have a good nights sleep. Both problems are a direct result of the Sertraline. The positive side - less frightened and less scared. Less anxiety. Less depressed. I actually feel good. I do not think I’m ‘high’ or ‘delusional’. I am still 100% my normal self but my fears and worries and low mood seem to have went way down. I actually look forward to waking up now. hope it lasts. Starting these was definitely the right thing to do."

Jodeen November 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Really good medicine for my depression problem."

Pradip adhikari (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Have been taking Sertraline for 3 months and it has changed my life. Was prescribed it for anxiety which had led to depression. Was hesitant to take it (bad experience with Cipralex 7 yrs ago - no emotion/ loss of inhibitions) but my doc said this had less side effects and prescribed 50mg. 1st week was horrible, nausea, spaced out, twitching etc, Libido was 0 and had anorgasmia (like you're not depressed enough!) Noticed an improvement in energy after a week, things felt lighter and I was able to think more clearly and from then it's just been a steady improvement. 3 months in the depression is gone and my anxiety is at a normal level. I still feel emotion and best part is the big O came back after about 8 weeks!"

simone86 November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed this a couple of months ago for severe anxiety and postpartum depression after an ectopic pregnancy. I felt euphoric for the first few days, and was literally awake for over 48 hours straight. But after the initial side effects wore off I was so thankful for this meditation. I was always against antidepressants and believed I could just 'get over it' with my mind...but after losing the baby my anxiety was through the roof and I couldn't function like a normal person. I'd come home from work and hide in my room away from my family, I avoided leaving the house unless I absolutely had to, I'd spend all day exhausting myself. I now feel more like myself than I have in years."

KatieQ (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My mother was prescribed these two weeks ago... since then no positives but just worsening side-effects each day... fatigue, headaches, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, confusion, and finally hands and legs in pain and unable to move them or walk!!!! Take this medicine with great caution if at all! If on ANY other medication or suffer from ANY other reasonably common ailments such as pain post knee replacements, or mild diabetes, etc. this medication could bring very serious or life threatening side effects! Also if older and more susceptible to complications from diarrhea and other most common side effects listed for medication this medication puts you at risk! No doctor should prescribe this unless a thorough examination of other Meds etc"

Son-Of-Mother (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"this drug gives a huge boost of mental energy and confidence and is very effective for social anxiety. The downside is that is reduces your appetite and libido, and it makes you feel jittery at its peak. Insomnia is a problem when just beginning but you get used to it after a few days."

miccael (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After experiencing probably the darkest time of my life, and sitting through therapy sessions that I felt were getting me nowhere, I finally decided to undergo taking anti-depressant tablets. I was always a bit hesitant as to the fact that they are a temporary solution and would never fully cure my depression. However since taking this medication, it’s almost as if all my dark thoughts, my anxiety and paranoia have all been completed numbed and killed off. For me it has managed to make my days go from being stood under a dark cloud to being under blue skies. This medication has helped me put my life on track and now I am training to become a nurse and feel in control of my mind and happiness. For anyone considering it…I would recommend."

charliesophia October 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was given this medicine for depression and anxiety. I have experienced no negative side effects in the 6 years that I have taken Sertraline (Zoloft). Compared to others like it, this one has been the best fit for me. Before taking Sertraline, I tried Prozac, but hated feeling nauseated constantly. The only negative thing about this drug is that after a couple years, I notice that I have to go up a dosage because it seems less effective. I will notice my anxiety and depression more so than usual, but it is easily fixed with an increase. I started out at 50-100 mg, shortly being bumped up to 150 mg a day. Now, I am taking 200 mg a day and have been for over a year and a half. Overall good experience."

AD123456789 October 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "This med helps me depression so much! I have severe depression and anxiety and it helps with everything - the sadness, irritability, anxiety, social anxiety, you name it. Unfortunately it causes major weight gain. I mean, I gained 40 lbs in a few months so I weaned off of it, lost the weight with no lifestyle changes. Tried other meds but nothing worked as well so I have it another try. Again, weight gain. No lifestyle changes and gained 70lbs in 4 months. Repeat weaning. Repeat weight loss. Became suicidal. Had to go back on the med. remained on it for 9 years gained 150 lbs and remained stable there. Recently went off again and I'm trying to find another med because I can't handle obesity but can't find another med that works as well!"

Depressedmomof1 October 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on this drug for over 3 months now, was 50mg but now 100mg. I feel sometimes I am in a daze, I have lack of confidence, I've shut myself away from family and friends and I seem to be bitter with everyone. Also my sex drive has completely gone so I can only put it down to this drug.. I TRY TO BE POSITIVE."

furrygodfather (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I used this to handle my breakup depression. It gave me enough mental relieve to get over the suicide thoughts I had been having and now I feel better."

Jaquili October 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Doctor prescribed this medication for my depression. I had tried taking three different brands of anti depressants over the coarse of several years. First one, I don't recall the name, but the side effects were too much for my 18 year old self to handle. Fast forward several years and events, I attempted Lexapro. First dose gave me severe anxiety and I slept only 2 to 3 hours. After discontinuing that, and going another year or so without much to help with how low and anxious I felt, I finally tried Sertralin (Zoloft). I was told to give it at least a month. I am not going to lie. It was rough. My stomach was a mess. More side effects and a month later, I started having patience with my kids again. I don't feel like crying all of the time."

KChristineC October 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Very grateful to my doctor recommending this medication when I was very reluctant to try anti-depressants. Suffered from depression for ten years, had a period of severe depression ten years ago. Felt myself entering a period of severe depression again but very reluctant to try medication as many family members had bad experiences. Sertraline has really helped me to have some breathing space during this time and given me some mental clarity to make it through the day. The side effects were brutal, I felt very sick and zoned out in the first three days and it did seem to make me feel worse mentally the first few weeks of taking it. There were many times I wanted to give it up, took 6-8 weeks to feel full effect"

Charliewoof October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started off at 50 MG of SERTRALINE and after a few weeks I started feeling great, I felt more positive, I could sit and watch a whole show or movie with my family. I liked my job more but my appetite did decrease and it made me feel speedy which also made it hard to sleep. Ok so fast forward to 1 month my Dr. decides to up my dosage since it seemed to be agreeing with my body ( I have depression but mostly anxiety) he upped the dosage to 100 mg tablets. After ONE week I was raging - my family noticed my colleagues noticed. I felt like I was roided out. I was mean, aggressive and hard to be around. I also felt downl like I didn't want to be around people anymore. That quickly it all changed. Made a same day appointment with the Dr to switch meds."

Anonymous Girl Age 26 October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking Sertraline for 11 days now for depression and I can honestly say I've never felt so low in my life. I am having to stick with them as everyone says that it gets better. Really annoyed that these pills can be prescribed with no real warning from doctors as to how very very low they can make you feel."

Prestyn September 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Problem: self-harm, suicidal tendencies I started at 25mg, today they bumped me up to 150mg. I think I might stay at 100mg. I had really bad depression from grades 6-9, cut myself for 4~ years, eventually had a breakdown in grade 8 & was diagnosed with anxiety & depression. So now further down the track I am trying these. The first week was the worst, constantly feeling the need to throw up but never actually throwing up. After that, I actually started feeling good about things. I slowly upped my dosage as time went on & my tolerance increased. Once I tried 10mg of cipralex or Prozac or something and puked the next morning. overall, 8/10. not super great for anxiety."

Anxious Annie (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been taking fluoxatine 40-60 mg for years and 4 month ago needed to go back to 60mg. I didn't get any better at all so weening off at the minute to go onto sertraline 50mg. Hoping it works better for me, will up date in a few month"

LRG40 (taken for 10 years or more) September 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Been on 25mg for about 5 weeks. Nothing changing so I'm taking 37.5mg--1-1/2 pills. Just on my 4th day. And still not noticing anything. Had dry mouth for a few days, and my sleep is a little restless. Suffered from this depression going on 8 years. I'm 32 years old. I've heard that 50mg is the therapeutic dose. So that's where I'm headed, I'm determined to beat this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also I've been so scared of side effects, especially falling deeper into this abyss of sadness and loneliness. But I must prevail."

Anonymous September 24, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am huge fan of this drug I've been on it nearly 2 months and it took 6 weeks to work for me not a minute sooner. I've read a few reviews and loads of low reviews are people who took it for 3 weeks etc but it needs a chance to get into your system. It's changed my life totally I feel normal again first time in years. My advice give it 2 months if nothing it's not for you. Cheers"

Wattylar September 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I wish I could put more than 10. This medicine saved me. I struggled for depression for 3 yrs. I didn't even know I had depression, everyone just told me it was probably my experiences that is making me feel down & it takes time to get over these experiences. However, I felt like I was alone and numb because I couldn't get over it.I felt I was too sensitive to live in this world & couldn't understand why there was always this heavy cloud over me. It kept getting worst and worst. I felt this was how my life would be forever. When I started taking this medication, it completely changed my life! I'm so grateful everyday & if I could turn back time I would have told myself to take it sooner. It was THE biggest change of my life for the better!"

ckaylee (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "MOTIVATION MONDAY: to the lovely folks just like me who spend hours searching online forums looking for something to give you hope. I understand. I want to share what I've learned. When I was in my darkest place I would read reviews about meds not working or awful side effects. I was convinced no medication would work for me because of this. BUT this one did! Please know, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! ALWAYS. You are not alone. You are not crazy. Don't give up. You'll be feeling normal again before you know it. This too shall pass!"

Thistooshallpassxo (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2017