User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

"At the moment I am having an episode of severe depression and anxiety which has been extremly debilitating for the last 2 months. Im unable to work, socialise or even speak to anyone at the moment. As this is the worst ive ever felt I decided i now need medication. I have been on 50mg setraline for almost 2 weeks. I take it in the morning. I have had trouble sleeping some nights as I just feel wide awake. It has stopped me sleeping through the day which I was doing a lot of. When I do eventually sleep it is a bit hard to get up in the morning but once up im fine. Ive had a couple of good days and bad. I sometimes feel a little 'wired'. Ive invested in a herbal tablet to help me sleep at night. Im hoping I will feel "normal" again soon!"

Flo1 September 26, 2016

"i have severe depression, bipolar & anxiety....i started on 50mgs for about 5 months and felt a little different as in a better mood....still had problems sleeping and felt anxious alot, went back to the doc and boosted up my dose to 100mg and also added Buspar 7,5mg twice a day and a low dose of clonopin.....Feeling great! I would say these are a miracle, back to my old self and loving it!"

Tans77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "This is about my woman who is on zoloft...... Two years with my woman we never needed any lube. Now I'm worried she is like a desert. Calmer now that her little zoloft friends in "her head" tell her to stay calm it's OK. I'll keep you up to date with her "progress" with her voices "

PuddlesDriedUp September 21, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started taking this medicine over a week ago... And let me say I feel WAY worse then I ever did. I started Zoloft 12.5g Bc I was feeling depressed and had anxiety well it's gotten worse I feel stuck... Heads foggy.... Worsing anxiety... Have no emotions... Panic attacks... Can't sleep.... Can't consintrate... Can't shower... Can't eat... Idk whether to stick it out or try a new medicine all I know so far this has been the worst thing ever!! I just want to go back to my old self:("

lainalaina99 (taken for less than 1 month) September 20, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm on day 3 of zoloft I think I'm going to stop I feel angry more depressed no motivation to do anything, feel like I can't handle my kids. Super dizzy and over it like 10x more suicidal then I've ever been. Also kind of feel numb and like I can't think properly. Not a good feeling and I don't think its worth waiting it out..."

Mumof321 September 18, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Hi I have had severe depression anxiety and intrusive thoughts for over a year I was put on 50mg sertralin and felt great then increased to 100mg within days felt awful so now back down to 50mg has anyone else had this experience?"

Katyfin (taken for less than 1 month) September 16, 2016

"I'd been doing very well after I quit drinking and illicite drugs over 10 years the my mother came down with cancer and I helped her through hospice and besides physical health problems I was diagnosed with depression. The dr put me on the 50 mgs generic zoloft and I didn't emediately feel a change but my fellow workers at my job did first and asked if I'm alright? Your not getting angry anymore. It's helped for about 5 years as my wife and I have been going through some serious medical problems of getting older. About a month ago I would just start breaking out in tears as I would be driving the car of at home watching TV for no apperent reason I could find. I asked my doctor if increasing it would help and it has after about 3 days!"

Sobermichael (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 15, 2016

"I have been taking sertraline 50mg for the past 4 months or so. At first I utterly hated the medication. Half an hour after I took my first dose, I had the worst panic attack of my life. I started to cry, I was shaking, my BPM sky rocketed, & I wanted to die. I also completely lost my appetite, in the first two weeks I lost about 6-7 pounds, & I am small to start. Eating became a chore. I kept reading this drug was successful when you stuck with it. My appetite eventually came back, but I still needed the edge off. Went to my psychiatrist, he added Propanonol 10mg 2x/day & I feel so good now all the time. My depression is gone it seems, my aniexty has drastically faded, & my self confidence is restored. It was a rough start, but worth it."

KnightRain (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2016

"This med works so well for me. However, I went through nearly a DOZEN other meds before hitting the jackpot. My particular form of depression leaves me tearful all the time, and over the most trivial of things: a song or poem, a touching TV commercial, even a good restaurant meal! It's hard to exist in the world when things--good and bad--leave me so emotionally moved. And without Zoloft I will get obsessed with things like a tragic news story (would spend days reading every detail I could find), or even manically getting interested in finding all I could about some random subject (history of alchemy, the witness protection program, the practice of crop rotation, etc.). This goes beyond curiosity. Long story short: Zoloft works for me!"

Kolo (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 12, 2016

"I have been on sertralin 50mg for one week no side effects....today I feel a bit anxious and down but have started 100mg today feel a bit fed up as the first week I noticed a big improvement hoping it's just an off day really wanted them to work x"

Katyf (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I told myself that if a miracle happened and this worked, that I would write a review. Let me start off by saying that this drug, literally, saved my LIFE. I've always battled anxiety and panic attacks, and was on a small dose of Paxil and that seemed to take the edge off. I took it on and off for years. After I had my second baby at 28, I got terrible postpartum depression. I had thoughts of suicide, racing thought constantly, couldn't nap and took forever to fall asleep at night. I literally spent three months just thinking and obsessing over how horrible I felt. I wanted to crawl out of my skin and die. I was barely showering, brushing my teeth and hair and would stay in the same sweatpants and shirt for days. I could go on forever by I'll get to the point. After three months of pure hell, I went to my doctor for help. I was prescribed 50 ML of Zoloft. After being on it for 4 weeks, I stopped taking it because it wasn't working. After going another 2 weeks feeling miserable, I went to my doctor again. She recommended we up the dose and stay on it for atleast 6 weeks. Well, after two weeks on 100 ML, I realized I was feeling better. I would go minutes without thinking negatively, then I would go hours, then full days. It feels SO good to feel like myself again. I truly thought I would be miserable forever. Please get help and try something if you are feeling terrible. Everyone is curable with the right drug and right dose. I wish I got help sooner. TRY THIS! It will work! If for some reason it doesn't, try something else! GET HELP NOW! I was doing the same thing you are - googling all types of antidepressants convinced there was no cure and they would never work. Stop spending your life wondering when you will be yourself again. You WILL get better and be 100% your old self again with an antidepressant!"

Dani F. September 6, 2016

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been on the generic sertraline 50mg for about two weeks , and I feel So much better . I was very depressed , irritable , had insomnia and felt like a total failure at life . I had a little diarrhea at first, but then I also have IBSD so I wasn't surprised . After a few days that stopped . I feel like my Old self again , like a weight has been lifted from my shoulders . I'm even singing again , I haven't done that in about a year . I was in denial for a long time , I told myself I could handle the depression -I was wrong . This is the first anti-depressant I've been on and I am very pleased with how much it has helped me."

Lou23 September 5, 2016

"I am a 19 year old male! I have been taking 100 milligrams of this stuff for 2 months now I don't feel a dam thing! I get dizzy n really crabby and mean! Just wana find the right meds for me! It is rapidly destroying my life at work , lovers n friend! This med worked for me but for only a short time!"

Lg97 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I think this medication really could have worked for me, but I just not get through the headache side effect."

Sophway September 4, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been on 50mg of Zoloft for a little over 3 weeks now. For the first week I noticed no change then gradually I was feeling better. It has given me more energy and i feel I have a more positive attitude. I was overeating a lot due to stress and depression that has completely subsided. Since I started taking it I have lost 19 pounds. That has also really helped with my depression. I am scared of my body getting used to it and go back to my regular habits. As for now I am happy."

Shannicky (taken for less than 1 month) September 4, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Took 25mg and thought I was going to die. Worst medicine ever. I have never been so sick in my life. Was not even able to take care of my child for two days bc I was so sick. All from one half of a pill. Beware of this medicine. I had problems breathing."

Anonymous September 1, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Very positive experience w Zoloft. Literally has saved my life. I started on 50mg, not very helpful. Maintained dose at 100mg for several years, but finally got courage to take 150mg, and it's been so helpful. I still get acute stress rxns once in a while (less than 1x/month) but my symptoms overall are vastly improved."

swnyc (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 31, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had to start off at a very low dose, 12.5mg. Starting at anything higher made me feel like I was having a heart attack. Gradually increasing by just 12.5 mg for dose increases were much kinder. My mind is becoming more clear and focused, my thoughts dont seem so cluttered, and I have a little room for improvement so far. I target between 75-100 mg for feeling my best. Typical warned side effects (GI upset) is as expected but with each small increase, resolves. Sticking with it! :)"

focusedandhappier August 25, 2016

"post natal depression took over me last year and cannot even pass a day without having an argument with my partner that almost bring us apart. After all sorts of counselling and course to put myself straight I ended up wigh sertraline. I started at 50mg and the first day I toom it, it feels like a joke. I was laughing at my partner getting annoyed which used to made me angry and irritable at him. He even ask me if what im taking is happy pill. On the first 3 days were pin and needles on my palm, stomach upset and feels like vomiting all the time. After 2 months was on 100mg sleepless night no sex drive weight gain. But im happy and feeling great until now after 10 months cant sleep again. Will see gp soon. This help me get my life back thou"

twisted13utterfly August 25, 2016

"I have been using setter alone now for around 4 years and they help with my mood and anxiety, I am on 100mg, 1 tablet a day. My hair has gone extremely thin, losing loads each day, via combing; I thought initially it was after having my son who is nearly 4 years old, as hair loss can be associated after bearing a child but its getting worse, to the point where my daughter said gosh mum that's not normal, your hair comes out in clumps! I am rather worried as may be it could be the medication? Plus Iv put on weight and my appetite has increased! Iv put on 3 stone since having my son. I think I'm going to reduce the amount gradually and stop taking it as il end up more depressed if these symptoms continue!"

Tanny75 August 23, 2016

"It can take you out from hell.Simply the best."

Peter72 August 23, 2016

"On day 8 taking 50mg dose and I cannot believe how effective this medication is. I was suffering from anxiety, extreme irritability & low moods for a number of months before my doctor prescribed it for me. So far the only side effect I have experienced is mild headaches, usually in the evening time. I take my dose in the morning after breakfast and I feel so much calmer, good humoured and relaxed - more like the old me. I don't sweat the small stuff anymore and feel my stress levels have dropped considerably. Fingers crossed this good feeling lasts!"

Indmag (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

"I probably was always prone to mild depression and the odd mood, but the strain of looking after my aged and ill father for about 4 years 24/7 took it's toll. As my wife said at times it was like treading on eggshells with me. I was put on 50mg of Sertraline and after a week or two I felt human and happy again. I came off the tablets last week after about 3 years (had tried after one but it was too soon) and feel fine. If I suffered any side effects then not sure what as some things could be put down to getting older although not too old, just coming up 59, but feeling tired at times and yawning is about as bad as it got. Maybe some colic but easily sorted with the very occasional domperidone pill. Anyway for me Sertraline was good."

Life is for living (UK) (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Hi all, I've just commenced Zoloft for moderate depression. My Psychologist said that it will assist me to get more out of our sessions and will greatly improve my mood. I'm on 50mg. Last night was the first night I took Zoloft and my god I was so sick during the night and even this morning. I've taken today off work as I was still unwell at 11am. I'm going to hang in there. Thanks for your honesty and sharing your positive/negative experiences."

dons1980 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

"A little over month ago, I was in a dark place. I was having horrific thoughts that were consuming me. Waking up in a panic with a constant nervous feeling. I had zero patience for my kids in fact I did not want to be around them or alone with them. I was constantly upset and teary. I was so against medication and did everything to avoid it. I would visit these forums over and over. I have been on Sertraline for approx a month now. I built up from 12.5mg to 50mg and this drug has saved my life. It really is a miracle. Although I did get side effects to begin with, it was all worth it to feel happy again."

CJ2410 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2016