User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

"I have been using setter alone now for around 4 years and they help with my mood and anxiety, I am on 100mg, 1 tablet a day. My hair has gone extremely thin, losing loads each day, via combing; I thought initially it was after having my son who is nearly 4 years old, as hair loss can be associated after bearing a child but its getting worse, to the point where my daughter said gosh mum that's not normal, your hair comes out in clumps! I am rather worried as may be it could be the medication? Plus Iv put on weight and my appetite has increased! Iv put on 3 stone since having my son. I think I'm going to reduce the amount gradually and stop taking it as il end up more depressed if these symptoms continue!"

Tanny75 August 23, 2016

"It can take you out from hell.Simply the best."

Peter72 August 23, 2016

"On day 8 taking 50mg dose and I cannot believe how effective this medication is. I was suffering from anxiety, extreme irritability & low moods for a number of months before my doctor prescribed it for me. So far the only side effect I have experienced is mild headaches, usually in the evening time. I take my dose in the morning after breakfast and I feel so much calmer, good humoured and relaxed - more like the old me. I don't sweat the small stuff anymore and feel my stress levels have dropped considerably. Fingers crossed this good feeling lasts!"

Indmag (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

"I probably was always prone to mild depression and the odd mood, but the strain of looking after my aged and ill father for about 4 years 24/7 took it's toll. As my wife said at times it was like treading on eggshells with me. I was put on 50mg of Sertraline and after a week or two I felt human and happy again. I came off the tablets last week after about 3 years (had tried after one but it was too soon) and feel fine. If I suffered any side effects then not sure what as some things could be put down to getting older although not too old, just coming up 59, but feeling tired at times and yawning is about as bad as it got. Maybe some colic but easily sorted with the very occasional domperidone pill. Anyway for me Sertraline was good."

Life is for living (UK) (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Hi all, I've just commenced Zoloft for moderate depression. My Psychologist said that it will assist me to get more out of our sessions and will greatly improve my mood. I'm on 50mg. Last night was the first night I took Zoloft and my god I was so sick during the night and even this morning. I've taken today off work as I was still unwell at 11am. I'm going to hang in there. Thanks for your honesty and sharing your positive/negative experiences."

dons1980 (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2016

"A little over month ago, I was in a dark place. I was having horrific thoughts that were consuming me. Waking up in a panic with a constant nervous feeling. I had zero patience for my kids in fact I did not want to be around them or alone with them. I was constantly upset and teary. I was so against medication and did everything to avoid it. I would visit these forums over and over. I have been on Sertraline for approx a month now. I built up from 12.5mg to 50mg and this drug has saved my life. It really is a miracle. Although I did get side effects to begin with, it was all worth it to feel happy again."

CJ2410 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2016

"I have been on this medication since last February, so almost two years. Wow, what a wonderful change it has made for me. I am so indebted and thank God so much that these medications are now available and are helping to make lives better. I had severe OCD, crying spells daily due to the overwhelming constancy of the anxiety, heart palpitating constantly, I was a mess on the inside. I never felt at peace even though I tried many things to help feel more calmed. I am 21 years of age.I am now so at peace, I notice that when the OCD comes, which it still does, the overwhelming anxiety is not there anymore. I have less fear of the future. It's a miracle for me. Side effects: Weight gain/sex drive/sleepy. I was 145 pounds and now I am 175 pound"

goldeer59 August 19, 2016

"I was prescribed setraline for post natal depression and anxiety. At the start i felt irritable, more anxious, nausea, had severe diahrrea and my insomnia got worse. Two months on i am getting less than four hours sleep a night. Not a good combination with a lively toddler. I still get diahrrea but not as severe and my anxiety levels have decreased dramatically. However i still struggle with everyday tasks/chores/eating etc. I have also noticed my depression increases drastically for three weeks every month, when my period is due. I am seeing my doctor shortly and hope to switch to something that might allow me to sleep. I can cope with everything but sleep deprivation. Three years of less than four hours sleep a night is not good."

Insomniac.less.than.4hrs August 19, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "This medicine is terrible. In fact doctors are terrible for prescribing it. Thanks to a 15 min session of my psychiatrist nodding (while barely looking at me) then writing down a name of a pill to "fix me" my face has never seen such acne. He thought I was depressed before, now I don't want to even leave the house. DOCTORS OVER PRESCRIBE!!!!! Please trust me, go to your herbal neighborhood store and get things to detox from medicine. The pharmaceutical companies are making a fortune on society believing a magic pill will sustain our life and subdue our problems. You're smarter than that, right?"

Girl236885 (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2016

"I am 16 years old and I started to use sertraline about four or five months ago and I have to be honest it did not work for me. I started out with 25mg and it helped for a day and then stopped so I had gone back and had talked to my phycyatrist and she upped my dosage to 50mg and the same thing happened then again my dosage was upped to 75mg and things went horribly wrong...I haven't ever felt so suicidal be or I had bad rage bursts and everything was bad! I was so sick and everything felt horrible. I went into a rage and tried to overdose in front of my boyfriend. I felt no self control. This made me feel horrible and I hate this medication."

Depressedteen (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2016

"After 2 years on this horrible roller cost er ride and major mood swings my doctor put me on Zoloft. The very first day I tried it, I smiled more and things that would made me mad (pretty much everything) no longer did. I feel like a new person and the only side effect that I have experienced was a small rash on my shoulder area, but it was gone after three days. I feel as now I can reach my college goals. I pray that everyone could feel this amazing. God bless"

WiiZoe. (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2016

"I'm a woman in my late 60's who has taken Sertraline for several years. I started just crying in the beginning stages of menopause. My doctor started me on this med & it helped greatly. After a couple years tried going off with the assistance of my doctor however started crying again. So I went back on. Worked in a stressful environment so the med worked well. After retiring I tried again to go off the med. Thinking no more stress in my life it would be easier to do without any drug. NOT...I still started crying. So I've decided I will stay on this drug as long as I can. I have had success with it. The only thing I struggle with is sweating. My dosage is 50 mg daily."

Betnapreich July 30, 2016

"Started taking for depression , works stops my irrational temper tantrums. I have been on it for 2 years. I was also a heavy drinker ( bottle and half wine a night for 20 years) but after taking this drug for 3 weeks I stopped drinking and I haven't had a drink for 2 years, no withdrawal or craving for alcohol . I feel and look good for my age despite struggling with the menopause and a under active thyroid. It works , you may loose a bit of weight to begin with but the appetite does come back to normal . I would not say I am happy but then life circumstances can take their toll if your depressed or not but I certainly function well, stay sober and I have hope in the future. Only downside is I cannot get off them."

libby123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 30, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started taking this drug to battle mild depression. 50mg a day. Pros: 1) more energy than usual. I go to the gym more than I used to (losing weight). I go the "extra mile" at work, I got a promotion (financial industry/hedge funds). 2) depression started to fade Cons: 1) DR told me to take it before bed. INSOMNIA was so severe I switched to morning. 2) no desire for sex. 3) I started to feel numb, not literally. Stuff I care about, I no longer do. This is where the depression starts to fade (partly). Hard to explain this one... 4) I'm alienating myself from friends. I like spending time alone, but I'm spending even more so now. 5) I have to take Ativan before bed from time to time due to extra energy"

AnSF99 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 29, 2016

"Went to the doc 10 days ago feeling quite depressed and anxious/nervous in unfamiliar situations. Cancelled trips where I felt trapped in case I had a panic attack. Prescribed Sertraline 50mg. Within hours of taking this drug felt absolutely awful. Was in a really dark state of mind with anxiety, agitation, trembling and sleeplessness. Persevered for one week but finally gave up. Am now feeling much better after stopping. Going for a hypnotherapy session which has worked for me in the past. Everyone on this drug has a different experience, positive or negative, but for me it made me much worse and I could not stand these awful side effects for one more day."

Over60Lady July 28, 2016

"Took one 50mg tablet as directed and I have never felt so iIl. Had to get down on the floor, could not lift my head off the floor, felt like I was going to pass out and felt nauseous. Had diarrhoea; pins and needles in hands; hot flushes - the most unpleasant side effects. Could only lay in bed and even then the room was spinning. Took 24 hours to feel normal again."

Vicks2703 July 27, 2016

"I am experiencing severe itching for the past month and is driving me crazy"

lovejoyboy1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2016

"i have been on zoloft for about 6 months with other anti depressants before that time.. zoloft is the only one that has worked but it is no where near a miracle drug for me.. my mind still races and there are days that i am weepy and have thoughts of suicide, i dont have any motivation to really do anything.. im not on a small dose at all 175mg/day (max dose is 200mg/day) but i can admit if i miss it for a day, i will feel it for two.. i cant really tell if there are side effects because the depression could be causing some of the lethargy.. i dont want to take pills all my life, and im doing whatever i can to try to get off them but at this time, they are my only hope"

wackedfox (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

"I was abusing alcohol for 5 years or so and was spiralling out of control. I went to the doctors on a couple of occasions and at first was offered only counselling. When I finally started taking sertraline about 7 months ago it changed my life. The first week in particular I struggled with the initial side effects such as insomnia and a strong 'spaced out' feeling. The day I began taking sertraline was the day I stopped drinking alcohol and am now eating well. I have now been alcohol free for 7 months, my diet has never been so good and neither has my level of fitness. I'm not saying that sertraline is the answer to all problems but for me it lifted a depression that I never knew I had and made we want to take care of myself again."

PhiUK July 17, 2016

"Ive been on zoloft (75 mg) for about a month now, and im just starting to feel the effect. Ive depression and anxiety, and all i can tell is that im still very sad but it's not the end of the world as before. I still cry sometimes but i dont want to kill myself anymore. But its strange not to feel like i used to be, i have the sensation that im functional and under control, but at the same time i feel like a robot or zombie, and thats weird, im not totally myself. But i guess this is better than the horrible anxiety i used to have. Sometimes i have headaches, im very sleepy and sweaty and talkative. Anyway, it is helping me for my anxiety, but depression barely improved."

Sofalvarez July 12, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Worked well in combination with xanax for 3 months then lost effectiveness"

crob272003 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 7, 2016

"I use this medication for more than depression, especially since I'm diagnosed with other mental illnesses such as bipolar and body dystrophic disorder (many more). But the medication does in fact help, I have been on it for a year now(I'm 15) since prosaic hasn't helped. Although medication is meant to help you, it can't solve your problems, but it can give you the power to be able to solve them yourself"

Jinxx June 29, 2016

"I have been in a major depression for 3 years, and possibly a minor depression before that , I also have anxiety and social phobia, I have been on Sertraline for almost two months now, and I noticed an enormous difference the first few days, I started to smile, laugh, make eye contact, and the fear of public is slowly easing ! I can not describe how bad life was before Sertraline. I am 34 years old and have been living a life that wasn't a life at all, now I am feeling better than I have ever felt. I do get dry mouth ! But, oh to laugh again! (Worth it). I am usually not a person who even uses Tylenol , so for me to try this, I was desperate . I don't feel high nor drugged or even out of my body! I feel whole"

A long time gone June 27, 2016

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I've just started taking sertraline this week but I feel worse then I did."

Dovesong (taken for less than 1 month) June 23, 2016

"I started at 50 mg because of post partum depression and at first, I didn't experience hardly any side effects. After 2 weeks, I went to 2 of 50 mg and felt more energized. However, after a couple months my dr switched me to 100 tablets and I became extremely irritable, jittery, had alot of mood swings and ended up in the er for trying to commit suicide. The dr told me this was normal and to just stick with it. She even wanted to have me go up to 200 mg. So, I tried to wait it out. It continued to get worse. I started having rage towards my husband and acting out with agression which Is not the kind of person I am.I ended up having tests done which showed I have a vitamin D deficiency and began taking vitamin d3. I'm so done with zoloft"

Hate it (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2016