User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

"Brilliant for my teen & worked to reduce his OCD & anxiety."

Luckyjenny (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on it for a week and a bit . I gotta say it's not what I expected. I've never taken anything before , so this is all a first . Well I was put on 50mg and that made me extremely sleepy . It was all I did and I couldn't really do much else . Went to the doctors and lowered my dose to 25 mg. That seems a lot better . I'm able to get up and do things . I still feel dizzy and don't really feel like eating . I'm starting to feel better though . I don't feel like crying and I'm not obsessing or replaying things in my mind . That sharp pain in my stomach has lessen as well."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I didn't really notice any side affects too bad. More like bad sleeping habits (waking up at 2 am and not going back to sleep for two hours) and I also had nightmares quite frequently for two weeks. But I've been taking it for 6 weeks now for depression and anxiety, and I feel great. I have so many more good days than I used to. I'm not down as often."

Mak11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started about 10 days ago, the first week was tough, sertraline kept me up and ruined my sleep cycle a bit, had a shaking jaw, low appetite, struggled to hold a conversation. It's gotten a lot better, though. I wake up between 6 and 7 am, I feel like my energy is slowly coming back to me, I don't feel hopeless and suicidal. I'm on a 6-month course of it and I'm hoping I come out of this feeling good."

Bard_ March 16, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Unfortunately this medication didn't work for me and I was combining it with exercise on a regular basis. I feel so low most days and I sometimes find it hard to even go out at all. I'm not trying a SNRI to see if that works. On the plus side no side effects at all."

Sarahm1992 March 16, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Gave one star to Zoloft for its effort, but really it deserves zero stars from my experience. I was on Remeron, then Cipralex (Lexapro for American users) for almost a year and when it stopped working I decided to go with Zoloft after reading good reviews. Zoloft slowly turned me into the worst version of myself. Constant anger, irritation, nausea, no appetite, no motivation, and man the heart burn was unreal. And the list goes on and on. I took it for a week at 25mg and 3 weeks at 50mg to give it a shot but I had to stop because I was just falling apart. I am currently on Effexor, its been almost a week and it is slowly putting me back together from the Zoloft disaster."

rsb19 (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for anxiety and depression and can honestly say I wish I had never taken the first pill. I was told to take 50mg a day and after the first one I felt unwell with huge pupils and 'out of it' but thought I'd need to get used to the pill. After the second dose it was hell, no appetite, being sick, unable to keep anything down, a pounding headache that wouldn't stop, blurry vision, hot sweats, waking up every hour in the night, shaking and horrid thoughts. I contacted a pharmacist friend who said I had obviously got the worse end of the side effects and if I continued it might get better or stop and ride out what I was already feeling. I chose to stop, I thought this pill would solve my problem- it did not."

BD7482 March 12, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Side effects 1st couple of weeks, tingling fingers, shaking hands, insomnia & nausea...All of which ceased thereafter. Felt a lifting of mood day two & incredibly better from weeks 3 to 4. Suffered from depression & anxiety, both of which are much better. Easier to cope with everything, keep things in perspective & enjoy life. Noticed lately issue with short-term memory, to the point where I forget the end of my sentences which is tricky...Believe is a likely side effect so will discuss with my GP. Overall am very glad I started with this as the improvement is fab."

McCazzie March 10, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My depression and anxiety left me house bound and unable to pull myself out of bed, incapable of getting into the shower and basic everyday tasks. I'm 1 week into my Zoloft prescription and feeling lows and peaks of the medication. Today is tough which is why I found this site to see how you all feel. Does anyone feel like huge surge of depression? I don't understand the overwhelming feelings today out of the blue?"

Victoria l f March 7, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "If you are scrolling through 1000's of reviews like I was, this one is for you. I started Zoloft three weeks ago for Major Depression and overwhelming anxiety and panic attacks. I started at 25mg for a week, then up to 50mg. Initially, I felt a million times worse, constant panic attacks, increase in suicidal intrusive thoughts, deep depression. But, after just 1 week at 50mg, I noticed a difference in mood, and it's been better and better since. Fight through the initial worsening of symptoms if you can! I asked for xanax to help me get through it. It definitely gets worse before it gets better for some people, but it was 100% worth it for me! I also had slight nausea, a sore neck, and some dizziness that all seem to be subsiding."

Babylady83 March 2, 2017

25 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medication has changed my life and probably saved my marriage. I can think clearly function effectively and my anxiety is controlled. I can now enjoy all the things I used to . I have had depression and anxiety for most of my life , I am on 50 mg at the moment which seems to suit me perfectly. But there is scope to increase if necessary."

Lulu1710 February 28, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Was on lexapro 20mg one a day for year thought I would try something different Dr said try Zoloft 50 mg a day OMG what a mistake. First week bad dreams, rash, itchy, dizziness no sex drive etc. terrible not for me going back on lexapro."

Jerseyguy19 February 19, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Well I think that it has help with my anger. however not really my depression. People say I'm a lot better but I'm still down inside. Don't really know if there is a real cure for depression."

Zedy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 17, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "My internist prescribed me 25mg of Zoloft daily as an alternative to Wellbutrin. The side effects were not worth the benefit for me. In the seven weeks I faithfully used the med I suffered from severe fatigue, inability to orgasm, weight gain, acne, and chest heaviness. As a thirty-something, in-shape mother of two, I have zero time for naps so, fatigue was not a livable option for me. I'm actually really surprised by the weight gain as I hit the gym daily. The pros of this medicine would be: my sweet tooth was non-existent. That's probably it."

DFWmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I been on sertraline 25mg for depression for 15 years and I started taking sertraline when I was 30 years old and I am 45 now. I was originally diagnosed with dysthmia and this antidepressant works wonders on me and love it."

SBRABSON (taken for 10 years or more) February 16, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have taken sertraline for some 15 years now for depression caused by hysterectomy...had never had depression prior to this surgery. At any rate I began at 50mg and never had any difficulties with this medication and I am very sensitive to medications. My depression lifted completely within 3 weeks of my start. I have attempted remove myself from the sertraline with my doctor's okay...however within a month my husband recognizes my depression and when I am alerted to it I realize I have become very depressed, not happy, find nothing to be good in my life...so I went back on it at 25mg a day and that has worked very well. I believe my brain chemistry changed after my surgery...it is what it is and I am glad this med. is available."

Nanalovesherlittles (taken for 10 years or more) February 14, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Took Zoloft for depression and anxiety and was on it for about six months. It absolutely helped and I felt less anxious almost immediately. But I stopped taking it due to increasing negative side effects. I have learned through my journey that other people's experiences of these kinds of meds are no real indication of how it will be for you personally. But sometimes it helps to share. Just take everything with a grain of salt. Zoloft negatives: constant yawning, first three days you feel so unwell you think you'll never be ok again. Also, inability to have an orgasm, which lasted about three months and then I was fine. Serious vertigo that got so bad I had to stop taking it. Tried venlafaxine and Prozac with better results."

Mummy bear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 13, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "It's so difficult looking at reviews because so many are negative. I have moderate depression and generalized anxiety disorder. I started taking antidepressants pretty young maybe 6th or 7th grade. I took lexapro, Prozac, and something else before I got on Zoloft. I just recently got off Zoloft to see how I'd do without it and so far I've been okay. Anyways, Zoloft was practically a life saver for me. I'm not sure if I have experienced any of the side effects, but if I have they obviously didn't make much of a difference. This review is here to say don't be scared to take Zoloft it might be the perfect drug for ya!"

Happychick98 February 7, 2017

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I took Zoloft consistently for about three months and it was the hardest three months of my life. It made my depression significantly worse. I thought if I stuck with it for a while it would eventually help me but it didn't. It did help with my anxiety though. As soon as I stopped taking any antidepressant my anxiety sky rocketed and I was able to beat my depression by finding God. I hope this helps whoever is reading this. Stay strong."

Ryan2224 February 6, 2017

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Long story short. I have suffered depression for 20+ years and anxiety for the last year which led me to resign from a stressful management position, my co worker recommended zoloft, my GP started me on 50mg which I took for 2 weeks, my dose was increased to 100mg, it has now been about 6 weeks, I had very few side affects for a few days, slight insomnia, loss of appetite (have lost quite a few kgs) and a little jaw clenching, I feel a lot calmer, I have a little more interest in activities, showering, cooking and cleaning more which are all great results, family members have noticed subtle changes, laughing/smiling and doing more, In saying that I feel as though my dose needs to be increased but will give it 2 weeks, Give it time:)"

Nessie2 February 5, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After many years of working in fast paced and stressful environments putting in 12-16 hour productive days I was involved in a serious car crash. Over a period of time I came to a point where even 6 hour days were difficult. All outside interest disappeared. I blamed myself for being so weak and useless. After about 4 years of that I finally confessed to my Doctor that I was miserable and didn't know why. He prescribed Escutalipram 10 Mg. I took it for 3 days and quit. It was a disaster! I was going to give up, but he asked me to try Sertraline. I took 1/2 a pill, 25 mg, for a week and he then said to take one 50 mg per day because of my body weight. No can do. However, 25 mg in the morning, 25 mg in the afternoon WORKS! Don't give up!"

Orknot January 25, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been all over the place in my head. It calms me down some but not a lot. Plus I've been gaining weight, I've been sick, headaches, itchy, and so much other stuff."

Princeskiki12139698 January 25, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am taking Sertraline. Started about two months ago. It is a Rolla coaster. 50mg for now. Depression for me is a 30 year battle. I like the numbness it brings at times."

MrNatural1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was put on this medication and found it to be useless, it just made me worse, my brain just went dead, I could not think what to do, there were no memories of my past, I had no thoughts, I just felt so numb and unreal, and it was agony dealing with it, I was just a walking zombie. So after a month I just stopped taking it, I told my doctor I had stopped, because of the reasons I described. I have been on all sorts of medication, but nothing really did any good what so ever. I decided not take any more medication, and gradually over time, a long time, I did eventually get back to being nearly normal. I still have days where I don't feel right, but I prefer that to being a zombie."

Dunozo (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 21, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "After a little over two months taking 50mg of Zoloft, I feel happier, calmer, less anxious about things, I look forward to things again, I enjoy things I had forgotten I cared about, I laugh more, I enjoy sex more (when I am depressed my mind is on other things whenever I wanted to have sex). I sleep whole nights, I used to wake up in the middle of the night EVERY night, and stay awake for 1-2 hours before falling asleep again. I wish I had tried it sooner. Part of me wants to quit taking it now to see if I feel better still without the side effects (such as crazy vivid dreams, lower libido than when I am not depressed, yawning, etc.) but I think I am fooling myself. It is not perfect, but so much better than I could've hoped."

Nailbiter (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017