User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 191 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline

IBS/Crohn's fighter · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 23, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have been taking Zoloft for several months. I have IBS which flares up when I'm anxious, and Zoloft really helps with that. It has very few side effects and I feel more like myself when I'm taking Zoloft. I do have one small complaint: when I miss a few consecutive doses I tend to get dizzy. But that's it! Other than that, I have no issues with Zoloft. It's very subtle, and it certainly has improved my mood.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 9, 2020

“Back in February I started having hot flushes, then felt dizzy and odd day a bit down, then a week later I had anxiety, which I had the same in 2007 when my mum died, so my doctor put my on sertraline, I went from a dose 25mg to 50mg and true for the first two months I had every side effect, head aches, blurred vision, cloudy brain, sick, anxiety, up and down days but came on this group to keep my positive and kept with them, now 5 months on I'm almost back to myself I do have odd days but that's life, and just get over it, so for anyone just starting sertraline, please be ready for a few weeks of feeling really rubbish but believe me u will soon start to feel better and it will work for u so hang in there, As we all deserve to be happy.”

Jay · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 8, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started taking zoloft after 8 months of post concussion syndrome symptoms. My anxiety and very low mood were affecting every aspect of my life. I was suicidal. I started with 50mg for the first month. Only side effects for me was a bit of nausea the first week and a lack of appetite. By week 4 we went up to 100mg and everything has improved significantly! I can separate emotions from facts which I couldn't do before. The people I thought were "against me" don't seem to bother me whatsoever now. I've gotten my life back. I have energy and an optimistic attitude. My friends and family have noticed in big ways. It's been a life changed for me. The only thing I would say are side effects Low libido Shortened Sleep. I usually wake up in the middle of the night now.”

Stone · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 7, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I’m 50 and have struggled with anxiety because of my 26 year relationship with my wife. After 60 days I don’t have the breakdowns any more and can function. Zoloft helped me to close off to her and begin to feel safe emotionally. It really works.”

Anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 5, 2020

“I have been on sertraline for about 4 months. I had horrific side effects for 2 days including more severe depression, intrusive thoughts, nausea, diarrhoea. I persevered after reading reviews on this site. I didn’t feel any different for maybe 2 months, but now I feel amazing! I feel the best I ever have and I only had mild depression. I walk around with a smile on my face, no longer feel anxious in social situations and nothing seems insurmountable (and I went through recovery from surgery, a breakup and living with my ex through COVID lockdown on this medication). It’s a game changer for me! I’m on 50mg/day. Give it time to work because it’s worth going through the horrific side effects to feel like I do. Just make sure you chose a good time to start (i.e. not a busy time at work or similar) because you may have to take a few days off work. Make sure you have support.”

High all the time · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 3, 2020

“I have epilepsy, I take Lamictal, and Sertlaline. I've had very good results, no anxiety, no seizures. These medications make you feel a constant buzzing in your head, I'm used to it, but a lot of people can't handle it. I suggest that you start on a low dose band move up from there.”

Janet · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 4, 2020

“My experience with depression after several traumatic life events happened so physically, and hit so hard I was convinced it could not be depression but that something must be wrong . I was also almost « manic » during my pms , completely off my rocker. My doctor prescribed 50mg of sertraline, first 2 days I felt like I was vibrating but it faded quickly , after a few weeks I didn’t feel any real improvement so my doctor increased to 100mg again a little “vibraty” for the first day or 2 , then slowly after a few weeks I noticed I was feeling somewhat better ! I could go to the grocery store ! I was able to clean my kitchen ! Without needing a nap ! I still wasn’t quite there after a few weeks , (need to be more functioning) so increased to 150mg . I’m hoping after reading these reviews that this will do the trick. I am also in therapy weekly. I take it at supper time which I was recommended by pharmacist .”

Pat1414 · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 3, 2020

“I have major/severe depression and have been on a variety of SSRI's/SSNRI's/NDRI's and Sertraline is great but for a few wrong reasons. The anxiety/OCD/rage was worse than the depression though. I've been on Sertraline (100mg) for a collective 4 years and its pretty much done the same thing: It ELIMINATES anxiety, OCD and rage/anger issues. It's better than benzos in doing it as well. The problem is what is doesn't do: For me, it had no effect on the depression/mood (which was the point?). Side effects: Fatigue (like a zombie), yawning, feeling disconnected, and makes you have terrible quality sleep.If you're a male, it makes it difficult to ejaculate. In closing, I would use this for major anxiety/OCD/PTSD/anger issues, but it doesn't lift your mood. Side effects aside, it will change your life, but please get a sleeping tablet as well.”

Swear by it. · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 1, 2020

“I have been it for about 5 years now and thankfully I have had no side effects. I take two 100mg sertraline at night and been working great. I have tried others ( Lost count how many ) but never worked. It's been hit and miss till I was prescribed Sertraline. That was heaven sent.”

Eilidh22 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 30, 2020

“I am so thankful for these reviews otherwise I probably wouldn’t have persevered as long as I did on Sertraline. I was in deep despair and anxiety following a few traumatic life events, In bad way. Put on 50mgs and first week or so got an amazing effect but that stopped. Up and down over the next 4 weeks then up to 100, On that for 8 weeks and again happy a few days, low a few days. Felt it maybe wasn’t working which I was distraught about, but these reviews really helped. So many times I thought about giving up but many reviews said to persevere. Side effects of nausea/increased anxiety can be horrible but isn’t 24/7. Propanolol 10mgs and diazepam 2mgs helped. Up to 150mg and again happy days bad days. Nearly gave up again. Now been on 150mg over 8 wks and eureka! Happy, calm, positive, sociable, fun. So if this sounds like you, please please persevere! Get help and support through it and ignore when people say takes 4-6 wks. That’s taken me nearly 6 months, but wow it’s worth it!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started taking sertraline around 5 weeks ago today (25mg). The first few days were fine, I only had a bad stomach for a day or so. However at around week 2 I felt awful, was having extreme suicidal thoughts. I carried on taking the medication as I know it gets a lot worse before it gets better. At 5 weeks now, I have increased my dose to 35.7mg and I feel pretty good. Haven’t had any side affects from increasing the dose slightly just yet. It’s worst sticking it out through the hard times, there is defiantly a light at the end of the tunnel!”

Hope4U March 1, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Teenage son was on Lexapro then Zoloft gradual transition of 10mg lexapro + 50 mg Zoloft for 2 weeks then 3rd 50mg of Zoloft. Next 3 weeks, was totally insane with side effects. Week 3, Zoloft increase to 100 mg with 50 mg of Seroquel for sleeping. We were wondered if Zoloft making everything worst, but we hung in there. So glad we did; by week 4 seem like everything reach an equilibrium point; it was like - my gosh what is happening...the depression, anxiety, compulsive behavior went from a 10 to a 3. He was able to control & process thoughts, listen to advice, paused more to think things through before his responses, in general very talkative about everything. Something totally wonderful happened the 4th week and continues to this day. He is now receptive to knowing the Zoloft medication has pulled him thru a very dark place and now voluntarily open to continue therapy. For us the Zoloft medication is working. Yes, it did take time & a lot of patience to see the results.”

Cosmic57 · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 29, 2020

“I have taken sertraline for 3 years and it's my miracle drug . No side effects at all but it took about a month to kick in and I have no intentions of not taking it .I cannot go back to the person I was”

Joanna · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 29, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Been on this med for about a year. 100 mg is the best dosage for me. Really does help depression, but doesn't take away normal grief. When you're happy , but I find that on it, you're really happy and calm, when taking your pills daily and not skipping doses. I found that combining with high quality magnesium also really helps my mood. The combination is great. Magnesium alone did nothing.”

Mary · Taken for less than 1 month February 28, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Starting zoloft again at a dose of 25 MG today. I was on it a couple months ago at a starting dose of 50 MG. I didn't have many symptoms the first time around for two weeks. Week third, probably when it build up in my system, I experienced a continuous migraine along with high pitched ringing in my ears. I was also very constipated, bloated and had dry mouth and was very fatigued throughout that third week. I also lost my appetite and couldn't reach an orgasm. I was very uncomfortable and emotionally unstable during that whole third week. I stopped taking it and all symptoms ceased within 72 hrs. I saw my doctor who put me on wellbutrin. Wellbutrin was awesome, but unfortunately I can't continue taking it during the long term dental work I'm having done. I hope this time zoloft, with a lower dose, will not cause the same symptoms it did initially. Wish me luck.”

Ellie · Taken for 2 to 5 years February 23, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Hi everyone, I am glad to find a place that I can tell my story & maybe get some opinions. I started taking Zoloft when my husband of 53 years passed, that was 3 years ago. I had the doctor give me instructions on weaning from it in November. So now it has been 8 days off. I did not have any side effects until today. After I got home from church I just broke out in tears & I am not a crier. Is it normal to get this effect after 8 days off? I really would like to stay off the med. Thanks”

Ks · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 22, 2020

“This medicine helps my depression! But please make life style changes, as alone , it may not work Start the smallest amount first 25 mg or so as it can cause headaches But after two month it can be rewarding Good luck and hope you get better!”

Jonathan February 20, 2020

“I started Sertraline 2 years ago after taking Fluoxetine. I had awful anxiety on Fluoxetine. Initially I was on 50mg Sertraline which wasn't great went up to 100mg Sertraline and within a month I'd gained 2 stone despite no dietary changes at all. As time went on I've experienced extreme bloating, gastric reflux, continued weight gain, elevated liver enzymes, elevated Cholesterol and decreased motivation. An incessant cough also plagues me despite seeing my GP there has been no help because they cannot see a reason for it. This medication has ruined my health, my stomach and throat abs everything else. I do not recommend this medication. My depression and anxiety have not improved at all with this medication I am unable to work.”

Ben_ · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 20, 2020

“I have co-morbid depression with anxiety and usually experience 'flare ups' versus a constant state of disarray. Doc was looking to stabilize and put me on Sertraline (50mg). I stuck to it for 9 months and literally never felt a thing. Ever. No side effects, no mental change.... literally nothing. After the 9 months, I stopped, cold-turkey (not recommended) - this was 2 months ago. I've switched doctors and am hopeful they may be able to help. ”

Chris · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 19, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Increased anxiety dramatically the first few days I took it - to the point I thought I would have a panic attack while I was driving. This levelled off but after every morning dose it would increase my anxiety a bit. Helped with depression I think but unfortunately after a month I started developing sexual side effects and had to cease.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month February 17, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Day 18 on Zoloft started with 50mg increased to 75mg after day 7. Day 11-15 were terrible days, I felt a lot of anxiety mixed with crying, lost of appetite and I experienced panic attacks in the early mornings three days in a row (I’ve never once had that issue before). My physician added 10mg of Buspirone twice a day to help fight those battles and it helped. Today was a beautiful day — I don’t remember a signal thought holding me back, I felt balanced. Hope this continues.”

Symone · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was on the medicine Zoloft for 4 days I experienced hallucinations, heart racing, shaking, blurry vision, insomnia, dry mouth, shivers & I can’t remember if I ever went to sleep one night”

misssw · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 13, 2020

“I was on a 50mg dose sertraline for 9 mths to help my depression. Within the first week I experienced anxiety (which I very rarely get) but that had since stopped. It worked really well for my depression, I was able to find joy in life again. I had two side effects that caused me to switch to something else: sexual side effects and thinning hair (I'm female). There was no other reason for the thinning hair that my dr and I could find and there's no balding or thinning in my family. It's a rare symptom but it's been studied and Sertraline is proven to cause it if you're susceptible .”

Mich · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 10, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “This drug saved my life. I started having chronic anxiety and depression very suddenly, and insomnia. I am so thankful for the positive and encouraging reviews on websites like this, because they helped me push through this difficult time, and I hope to do the same for someone else. I agree with many other reviews that it does get worse before it gets better. My anxiety increased at first, I think out of desperation for each day to finally be the day I would feel normal again. But it takes time and patience, and there will be ups and downs. I started seeing improvement around 4 weeks, but took a dive again around week 5 before increasing my dosage. Now I am at about week 7-8 and I would say 90% myself again. I highly recommend doing therapy too, and Xanax has helped curb the increased anxiety while my body adapts. Side effects are minimal, just nausea if I don’t take it with food. Zoloft helped me get my mind back under control and enjoy life again!”

tia1 · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 8, 2020

“I started out on 50mg of sertraline and felt no difference in my depression so my doctor upped it to 100mg still nothing, then I went up to 150mg, I was having night terrors lashing out in bed etc ,so reduced back down to 100mg. I am less anxious but still have disturbed sleep and absolutely no sex drive. I was on diazepam before and they worked much better unfortunately doctor will no longer prescribe.”