User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 222 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

"I am taking Sertraline. Started about two months ago. It is a Rolla coaster. 50mg for now. Depression for me is a 30 year battle. I like the numbness it brings at times."

MrNatural1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2017

"I was put on this medication and found it to be useless, it just made me worse, my brain just went dead, I could not think what to do, there were no memories of my past, I had no thoughts, I just felt so numb and unreal, and it was agony dealing with it, I was just a walking zombie. So after a month I just stopped taking it, I told my doctor I had stopped, because of the reasons I described. I have been on all sorts of medication, but nothing really did any good what so ever. I decided not take any more medication, and gradually over time, a long time, I did eventually get back to being nearly normal. I still have days where I don't feel right, but I prefer that to being a zombie."

Dunozo (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 21, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "After a little over two months taking 50mg of Zoloft, I feel happier, calmer, less anxious about things, I look forward to things again, I enjoy things I had forgotten I cared about, I laugh more, I enjoy sex more (when I am depressed my mind is on other things whenever I wanted to have sex). I sleep whole nights, I used to wake up in the middle of the night EVERY night, and stay awake for 1-2 hours before falling asleep again. I wish I had tried it sooner. Part of me wants to quit taking it now to see if I feel better still without the side effects (such as crazy vivid dreams, lower libido than when I am not depressed, yawning, etc.) but I think I am fooling myself. It is not perfect, but so much better than I could've hoped."

Nailbiter (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 20, 2017

"This medicine is allowing me to focus on what is important. Started on 50mg, had feelings of euphoria for the first couple of days, then a few of the regular side effects such as little sleep, nausea and suicidal ideation, which eventually all passed. I also had bloodshot eyes for a while, most likely due to lack of sleep and working night shift. I have gone up to 100mg as I was feeling anxiety effects in the evening and had started taking one at night as well as in the morning. I am not worrying about the smaller things, important events still cause me some anxiety but I am able to tackle them with a clearer mind instead of the anxiety crippling my ability for action. I can tell this medication will help me get my priorities in order."

JosephJJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "This medicine has been a game changer for me. At first I was terrified of taking this drug. After reading Catholic Guide to Depression and much prayer I had the courage to take the medicine. I'm so glad I did. It actually reduced "body aches". I'm running again, 6 days a week. It's not a miracle pill, but a fantastic tool in defeating depression and body aches. Peace!"

Kim675123 January 10, 2017

"I only took it once but that one time was enough to leave it. I took a 50mg pill and felt really foggy headed and really down. My depression got really worst and I slept all day. I really wouldn't promote this drug, I find meditating 10 times more useful than this drug."

Unknown User123 January 10, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been on this for 10'yrs now, obviously it works but at 100 mg dose, too much! I've cut back to 50 mg and I'm fine. On 100 mg I had a lot of weight gain, like 30 lbs. I've lost a lot of weight now on 50 mg. I probably should go off of it but doc says if it works can stay on it. I worry no long term studies on this drug, but so far seems okay. My brother told me it can cause brain cells to die of w/long term use, he read it in L.E.F. magazine. Don't know if true, but helps my depression & anxiety so much that its worth staying on. Be happy and healthy, find what works for you. Good luck! "

tawisn January 8, 2017

"My 14 year old son has been on sertraline 25 mg for about 7 months for anxiety, it has really helped him a lot. But now he has become depressed, I believe school has a lot to do with it, because he just got into his second semester and now has a class called pace, and he has to go in front of the class and talk, he hates that, so today he had a little breakdown and refused to go to school and said he felt overwhelmed, so I took him to his doctor and the doctor upped his dosage to 50mg, but my daughter says it's not a good idea because it could trigger suicide, so I don't know what to do, my son is also in therapy."

Sweettx21 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2017

"I've been taken this since April 22 and feel so much better I wish I would have gotten them along time ago I forget to take them but man when I'm off them I can't control myself I snap at everyone"

Hubbmary85 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 3, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "Long story short I finally felt compelled to try anti depressants. I had experienced depression for a couple of years and had bouts of anxiety. Last straw were symptoms similar to bipolar disorder. Like mania. I had been so reluctant to try meds. But man I'm glad I did. I'm sad I didn't try them before. My life these couple years would have been so much better, less traumatic. I started 50 mg of sertraline in July. Right away I noticed my mood improved. I used to be short tempered. Now I am more patient. I stopped crying every two days out of frustration due to my sons tantrums or misbehaviour.( challenging toddler) or from feeling overwhelmed with house work. Little by little that fog of depression started to dissipate. I am happy now."

MayraP December 30, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I went psycho while on this medication. Ended up in a mental hospital. I couldn't control myself!"

The one to take down Zoloft (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 30, 2016

"I started taking 50 mg. Zoloft on Nov. 3 of this year (2016). After two days, I broke the tablet in half and felt much better. I have taken 25 mg. every morning since Nov. 5. Aside from a couple of episodes of anxiety and anger, I have felt much better. I believe the Zoloft is working. I had serious road rage, and I would explode in anger at home. I tried very hard to hold my anger inside me until I was alone. Then I would scream and carry on like a maniac for a few minutes. Then I would cry in helplessness and shame for a few minutes. Finally, I talked to my internist, and she suggested Zoloft. I am very grateful that this medicine is working for me. I am calmer and nicer; I much more patient than I was prior to mid-November."

Elle6 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 26, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed 50 mg to start, and went in with an open mind. After one day I decided it wasn't for me. Maybe 50 mg was too much for me, as I am sensitive to medicine? Anyways, I felt so miserable all day. My head was super foggy and I couldn't think clearly. I don't know how to describe other than just feeling so horrible and wanting to feel normal again. I couldn't do much of anything all day except lay on the floor or bed and feel miserable. I also experienced major TMJ jaw- I wasn't able to get my jaw to relax. I took a hot shower and almost fainted. It was hard for me to see how this would make me feel better ever, even though I know some people do have success with it. I just couldn't bring myself to take it again the next day."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 26, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft was the first anti-depressant I tried and it worked well enough that I stuck with it. The first 2-3 weeks were difficult. I found myself yawning constantly, extremely drowsy, having no appetite, nauseous when I DID eat, thinking about doom and death. But those were side effects that all eventually subsided. I feel a lot better because I have more control over my emotions and anxiety. I cry much less now and don't lie in bed at night thinking about suicide as much anymore. I went down in dosage from 75 mg because I felt a little too muted, like things that were REALLY supposed to bother me didn't, and the nausea on 75 mg really sucked. I was finding myself vomiting for no reason. 50 mg has been good to me the last 6 months."

reneexg December 22, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was recently giving this in addition to wellbutrin to help with anxiety and depression. I was to take 25 mg a day for 4 days then move up to 50. right off the bat I noticed that this made me tired but when I took the 50mg dose my stomach got upset and I threw up about an hour later. Slept a long time. I woke up and felt some of the worse depression I had felt in months. I felt extremely tired, no appetite, angry, no drive, foggy headed. I've never had any success with basic ssri's. I was prescribed this medication over 10 years ago. It was a failure then and it is a failure now. The only AD I can seem to tolerate is wellbutrin. I don't see the doc for a while until then I will be using other tools to combat my depression."

lethargic guy December 20, 2016

"Never normally share but I started taking Sertraline after feeling very depressed, emotional and even some thoughts of suicide. I made an appointment with my doctor and he put me on 50mg, after taking this for two months there was talks of putting it up to 100mg. I couldn't think of anything worse. The first few days of taking 50mg I felt a little better, as the weeks went on I just went down hill and was in a dark spiral, my anxiety became worse than it has ever been, I barely left the house, I couldn't cope no longer and I lost hope. I eventually realised the tablets were making me feeling a lot worse so have stopped taking them... I am starting to feel a little better already"

Bethanykay123 December 12, 2016

"I was taken off Citalopram after a relapse into depression due to bereavement issues and put on to Sertraline, initially 50mg/daily. This didn't work and so, on my GP's advice, my daily dose was increased to 75mg. This dose has also proved ineffective but, worse than that, it has triggered severe insomnia. As I write this, I have been awake for 22 hours straight and still don't feel like sleeping. I have also lost my appetite. I have taken many medications throughout my life (I am 56) but Sertraline is the only one where I have experienced any side-effects. I would be wary about taking this medicine."

PHenUK (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2016

"Reading the comments on this forum I have come to a conclusion that a lot of people do not give this drug time to work! It's an older drug than many on the market and has come very much the choice of doctors in the U.K. Again as it's range of doses is long example 25mg to 200 mg so it's not a massive heavy drug, and to many people read all the negative comments on forums regarding not just sertilne but other ADs, as my doctor has said many times there is no true happy pill in the world."

Gazz (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2016

"The worst thing anyone can do is read these damn reviews! All they do is put ideas in a person that is already on edge. Then when you read what people say you start to panic and imagine you have things that you would not ever have thought of in the first place but since you read what other people are saying its putting thoughts in your head. Just take the meds and chill out. Have your own experience not someone elses."

Braddd November 29, 2016

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Ugh - Taking this medicine was a big mistake. My Doctor's recommendation turned out to be a bad one. I'm currently 60 days in with and feel more anxious than before beginning zoloft. There were some days where i didn't obsess over stressful things in my life, but the bad very much out weighed the good. All day long at work i have been feeling like a nervous wreck. Also, know that it will destroy your sex life. My libido is non-existant as of now. This created even more anxiety and stress with the vicious circle of failure. This medicine just made me a frustrated mess. I'm going to look into wellbutrin and try and be hopeful. Don't waste your time "

cgesq November 29, 2016

"Well I was taking Lexapro for about 7 months. My second day on it was breath taking and great! Life changing honestly! However 8 months later the depression came back & almost worst. Today is my first day on zoloft & I feel so much better from the way I woke up. I'm ready to follow home, clean, cook & kiss all over my babies! I'm taking 50mg right now. I hope this helps someone that's willing to try it out"

Lala Jackson (taken for less than 1 month) November 28, 2016

"My story; I hope it gives strength & even though you feel like shit now with the RIGHT TREATMENT & DOSE YOU WILL GET BETTER. In a nutshell; abusive relationship, court case & bullying at work which resulted in me resigning. My "genious" GP thought it would be good for me to stop immediately my antidepressants (for anxiety). I got discontinuation syndrome. I fell into a deep depression & felt mentally unstable reporting to A&E twice. I was terrified & spent weeks just lying on the floor to stop me topping myself (totally out of character). Sertraline was given to me 50mgs increasing by 25mgs every 6 weeks until I reached 200mgs. 252 days of hell... but within 2 days on 200mg I immediately felt a change & hope - at last I was in recovery :)"

I never thought I'd get better (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Horrible medication ,did not help with my depression at all made my anxiety worst"

detour12 November 24, 2016

"I fully understand it's hard to work through initial side effects, especially when you may be at one of your lowest points immediately prior to taking medication. It may not work for everyone, but this medication has helped me immensely. I don't feel like a permanently happy robot or anything, I still feel sad and upset when it's warranted. but I feel like I can process problems like a high functioning individual, and I don't feel like I'm going to crack under every little thing. The side effects DO get better!"

Sertraline reviewer (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2016

"ANXIETY/PANIC ATTACKS/INTRUSIVE THOUGHTS/DEPRESSION. Thought I'd state the things I had been suffering from quite severely, rather than choose one category! I normally don't post things like this, but I was once too in the same position as whoever is reading this, so want to help. I had been suffering with anxiety for years, along with panic attacks, and it all got worse when I started to have these so called 'intrusive thoughts', causing me to feel very depressed. I was very skeptical about taking any kind of medication, BUT I have to admit sertraline helped me get back on track of being ME AGAIN! It took a week or two to kick in at all, before then I was having the not so nice side effects, BUT JUST KEEP WITH IT! Been on it for 2 months."

daniiiiiela November 22, 2016