User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Zoloft (sertraline): "I took Zoloft (generic) shortly after my anxiety got horribly severe. I took lexapro a few years ago but didn't like the sexual side effects. Doctor put me on Prozac but that appeared to put me into a deep depression. I had never had depression, just anxiety but I couldn't get out of bed I was just paralyzed. After a few weeks of that I decided to try Zoloft. Within the first three weeks I felt tremendously better. By 6 weeks I felt totally back to normal and NO sexual side effects! This has been my miracle drug"

Abbeyjd (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After taking this medication I started suffering from serious side effects, excessively sweating, shaking, paranoia, unable to sleep and settle. This medication did not agree with my body at all, it made me feel extremely sick."

Bren_xx August 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 51and female. I have been on sertraline for 3 months and I love it. I have not had or needed an alcoholic drink since I started on this med. I never thought I could give up my multiple glasses of red wine every night but, after taking a pill, I feel good for 24 hours at a time now instead of just for a few hours while drinking...and without the hangover or expense! Also, my Blood pressure and pulse are MUCH LOWER now; My body no longer aches all over; I'm not so nervous, agitated or angry anymore. I no longer constantly think about death. I am satisfied with my job now, too, and no longer desire to quit. I'm also beginning to like myself. Side effects for me have mainly been: lack of appetite, some weight loss, and boring dreams."

aceMN (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I didn't realize it at the time but this stuff really did literally make me bipolar! I never considered myself bipolar before this medication. It made me not be able to sleep for days at a time, made my normal moods worse at times, and just over all set off mental conditions that I don't normally have issue's with, and at the time I didn't see or understand that, now."

5150Aries (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Break down last October. Caused by the constant trials of being a carer of 16 yrs, spinal surgery & almost overnight profound hearing loss. Had had enough! Sertraline 100mg has made me brighter, happier, more positive, no longer as anxious about the future. For me it has worked wonders & am told I will require it for long term. Side effects which I believe are associated with sertraline. Most nights I'm asleep at 8pm. Can no longer relax & watch TV at night. Have huge long assorted crazy dreams every night."

Swayze. July 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Got prescribed Zoloft after my 20 year relationship ended after my ex husband became addicted to meth. I was very depressed and couldn't control my thoughts about the situation, I had a hard time sleeping, zoning out, focusing, and adjusting to my normal everyday life. I started on 25 mg for about 3 weeks then increased to 50 mg. I've been on 50mg for a couple months and feel so much better. I can focus on my life again and never break down crying anymore etc. I had no side effects besides loose stool here and there. I like how there were no real side effects for me and it did what I was seeking. I would recommend to try Zoloft before other medications. I will not increase my dosage."

40 year old F (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take Sertraline for depression and anxiety and while it works well, it also gives me insomnia and my jaw shakes a lot during the day. I almost feel high when I wake up (due to taking my tablet just before I go to bed to try and stop the insomnia) and for the first week or so I felt sick and was heaving constantly however this wore off within a week. That being said, I don't feel upset or anxious anymore, but I don't feel happy either. I just feel like I can get through the day and it's nice to not be crying and feeling scared all day :)"

Pippa26 July 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Didn't do a dang thing ! I took it like I was told to, and I waited & waited & waited some more! After a few months of not feeling any difference, or any better at all I quit taking it."

Brene July 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had a very bad experience on setraline started taking 50 mg daily increased to 100mg, have never felt so ill. I couldn't leave the house so anxious, couldn't eat, felt sick all the time, couldn't concentrate and very depressed, cut down the dose over 10 days and stopped but had to go onto beta blockers to controll my anxiety, now cutting them down to come off those too, back on old antidepressant escitrapram and feeling a lot better. I will never take sertraline again."

Kamberri July 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "20 year old college student. I've had OCD since I was a kid (depression since junior year of high school) but only within the last year did I make the choice to take an SSRI. There's a lot of ambiguity surrounding antidepressants, and you can't really extract much from reviews without feeling reluctant. Yes, there are side effects that appear within the early stages. It is scary to ingest a drug you know little about. However, I can feel happy again, which I thought I had lost the ability to do. I don't believe everything is hopeless, which I, truthfully, thought I'd feel the rest of my life. It's been a lifesaver, and at 100mg, nothing feels inherently different about myself. It's just a tablet. Don't let it be more than it ought to be."

Ruhrohraggy34 July 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was put on 50mg daily, but didn't notice any change so I was increased to 100mg to deal with depression. It was horrendous and the first 6 weeks I suffered terrible nightmares and night sweats, became even more irate, anxious and upset and had suicidal thoughts. All advice outlets told me to continue for three months to see how I felt, only to find after 6 weeks I felt numb and emotionless, getting no pleasure or satisfaction from daily activities. This was not the medication for me and essentially made me feel worse."

Benson14 July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on Zoloft for about 8 years for severe generalized anxiety disorder and major depressive disorder. I was eventually maxed out (200mg) and I felt awful. I couldn't feel emotions at all, it was almost like depression but less hopeless. I felt like a zombie. Or a robot. I also had pretty severe sexual side effects as well. Got taken off, and I feel like a real human again. I'm on Wellbutrin now."

ClearlyOdd July 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took Prozac a long time ago but I didn't notice any difference. I came off for a while and eventually went on citalopram where I put on weight and didn't notice a mood change. I came off those after some time and a few years passed. In January this year I was put on 50 mg of sertraline. The first few weeks were jittery. I had no appetite, couldn't sleep and generally felt wired. But then the fog did clear and I felt ok. My sadness was more distant, I felt like I could push it away easier and I didn't feel like crying all the time anymore. A few months passed and I think they have worked positively. I'm six months in and I've not put on weight, but I'm not cured either. Would recommend to take the edge off!"

ANXIETY GIRL. (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Great medicine, stopped me being so irritable and angry.I had Depression, Anxiety and OCD to start with. I did feel spacey and more suicidal for the first week so don't drive during that time, I also felt very dizzy. I have been taking it for over a year and it does make me drowsy every day, so I take it before bed which ideally helps with my insomnia too! I'm on 150mg per day. If you are worried about your mental health, make sure you get help. It was the hardest, best thing I ever did."

Sammibems July 2, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started 50 MG Sertraline for my anxiety and depression. I talked with my doctor because this dosage just did not work for me. So I was changed to 100 MG which made everything worse. I gained 20 pounds in 2 months, felt extremely tired all the time, had trouble staying awake throughout the day. After being on the 100 MG dosage and gaining a lot of weight, I decided to take myself off of the medication, I am now taking Prozac 20 MG which will help with my anxiety and depression and help me lose the weight I gained while taking Sertraline. I do not recommend this medication to anyone who does not want to gain a lot of weigh or is currently having trouble maintaining their weight."

amacc (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on this medication for about 2 months and it was an awful experience. I started out on 25mg and I couldn't really feel any emotions, so they increased the dosage to 50mg. I started feeling worse, so I was told to increase the dosage again. Once I got to 75mg, I started becoming angry, even more anxious than I was before, I had an out-of-body experience, and I was becoming incredibly impulsive. After trying another anti-depressant and failing, it is believed that I have a mood disorder and was placed on mood stabilizers."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "The first 2 weeks on Zoloft were like hell. I was drowsy, had nightmares and my stomach was a mess. I've been taking 75mg for 3 month now and I feel like a new person . I'm mellow , easy to deal with and satisfied"

Kati27c (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on it 3 times. For 8 years, then again for a little less than a year 2 diff times. For depression and anxiety. First starting it I always got nausea and killer headaches. But then they would get better and eventually go away. The first few months of taking it I would feel better. Happier, more energy etc. But then as months went on I would become more numb to things. No highs or lows. Just zombie mode. Very spacy and forgetful. Running red lights, forgetting to go to class or work. No sex drive. Tired. Failed my classes. The most recent time I was on it it really helped with my depression but it actually caused me to have OCD. I had OCD as a child but hadn't had it in forever. Thought that was weird it triggered it to come back."

Good and bad... (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on 50mg of Sertraline for almost 4 weeks now for anxiety, not depression. The last two weeks have been hell. I am having horrible side effects; worse anxiety, heart palpitations, light weight gain, insomnia, no sex drive, EXCESSIVE sweating (palms, face, and feet), numbness in my hands, bad negative thoughts about dying (never had this before) and pain in my neck. I have decided today that I am going to stop taking this, I feel worse taking this than I did before. The only reason I started taking this was because of my breathing. This is my story, although it doesn't work for me, it may work for someone else."

Jenna1988 June 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "20 y/o female, prescribed 50mg for major depressive disorder, social anxiety, and just overall generalized anxiety. Been on 50mg for 3 months now. Side effects were minor which consisted of insomnia, loss of appetite, and nausea.. though they subsided within the first few weeks and I now experience none. I love Zoloft! I can live again! I'm laughing and going out with friends, not laying in bed all day. I can finally breath, my surroundings seem so much brighter, I don't harbor hate anymore, I'm me again...More ambitious and creative like I was before I fell into this self destructive path of depression two years ago. I no longer have the desire to self medicate with drugs and alcohol. I wish I got on Zoloft a long time ago."

Kitten.666 June 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi all been on this medication for over 4 weeks and have never felt so bad. Stomach aches and diarrhea. Sickness all day, dizziness, tight chest tired all day and sweating like crazy. Its been terrible. I can't take it anymore. I'm on 50 mg for depression and anxiety. I just want to be happy and not stressed. I don't smoke or drink. I'm a size 12. 44 year old lady"

Roseie June 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started Zoloft after being on citalopram. Citalopram worked the best for me but due to my age, my GP wouldn't raise the dose after 25mg stopped helping. I've been on Zoloft since around February or so and it's increased my anxiety dramatically. To the point that I can't sleep and I'm writing this at 4:49am. I also noticed I started to struggle with death anxiety A LOT which I hadn't had problems with in the past. I am still taking Zoloft but will hopefully be changing medication in the next few weeks."

Kjemma (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on sertraline for 2 months. I find I'm always tired sleep more than I am awake...have no energy feel totally drained it's difficult when you have to work..and I still have terrible heads..."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 15, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've taken Zoloft for several years: once to help with OCD when I was younger and more recently to help with depression. Overall I definitely experienced less crying and general hopelessness on Zoloft. I still had my bad days but in general it's manageable. The biggest side effect was the weight gain. I gained about 20 lbs in a year. I also felt like I sweat easier on this medication, especially my palms. This was pretty minor though. I'm switching to another medication due to the weight gain and I will say the withdrawals from Zoloft are tough. My emotions were really heightened and anything could make me cry. Be sure to tell your loved ones that you'll need some extra support as you taper off."

cisuggs (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have taken a wide selection on antidepressant drugs from imipramine, prozac, paxil, and Effexor to name a few. Prozac and Effexor being two of the worst drugs. Prozac I had chronic diarrhea and no therapeutic benefit. Effexor had no therapeutic value and left me completely sexually impotent. Sertraline has helped with my racing thoughts and depression with little or no noticeable side effects. My experiences may not be typical for everyone, but it is the best antidepressant I have found."

Budd G (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 14, 2017