User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 220 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Zoloft (sertraline): "First started taking it for PPD (postpartum depression) . Currently struggling with depression, PTSD and anxiety. Started off at low dosage and worked my way up. Worked good for a little while then stopped working for me."

Ht1990 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 10, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm a 31 year old Male who has had challenges with depression and anxiety throughout my life. I have been on several different meds in my past, including lexapro, paxil, effexor, wellbutrin, prozac, zoloft, and some others as well. Of all of these meds, I've found zoloft works the best for me. However the worst thing I experience with zoloft is decreased libido, as with all of the other meds I've tried, except for wellbutrin. This side effect truly sucks. Zoloft also kind of makes me feel robotic and emotionally numb. Currently I'm experimenting with another medication (viibryd) in attempt to find a med that works without having sexual side effects. However zoloft is my fallback option, because this med at least stabilizes me and helps function in society. Therefore I give this med a 7 out of 10. My advice to everyone is to keep being patient with meds and realize that it might take some time and trial and error. And always keep hanging in there no matter what. Good luck."

G August 7, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on Celexa for 10 yrs. Switched in June to Zoloft 25mg increasing to 50mg and then up to 75mg. After 3 weeks, I tapered dose back to 50mg. I think I’m suffering from antidepressant discontinuation syndrome. I honestly feel like I’m dying. I’ve been on Xanax for many years and my dose was increased to 3mg/day. I thought I became tolerant to the Xanax and started to wean...just 15mg a day starting 6 days ago. I have never felt so sick in all my life. Today it finally dawned on me what I’ve done with tapering back the Zoloft. to 50mg it was probably too quick. Talked to doc and she isn’t 100% sure that’s what’s going on but said to increase back to 75mg of Zoloft and for now, go back to 3mg Xanax dose. I already started today. I never told my doc I tapered the Zoloft until today. I don’t know why. My question is...how long will it take to stabilize the Zoloft levels? I’m hoping it will be just a few days since I’ve only been off the 75mg dose for about 10 days. Thanks."

SeptGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 5, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was taking 50 mg of Zoloft for four weeks. I went to see my shrink and told her I was not better, but felt more depressed. I did feel less anxious. However, she doubled my dose. I don't even remember how I felt at first, I just know that exactly a week after starting this new dose, I began to have manic episodes. I did very impulsive things, I felt elated and euphoric, I then became agitated, which a few hours later resulted in a full blown panic attack. I have also had a manic episode today, where I was hallucinating. My heart was beating 100 miles a minute, I was shaking, my eyes seemed huge and sparkly, I was sitting on my bed rocking, and felt like I was in hell. I have gone between depressed and manic for three days now. I am not sure if I am bipolar or not. I called my doctor today but will not hear back for a few days. This drug is a full blown nightmare. Everyone reacts differently, but I am frightened. I almost called 911 twice in the past two days."

E July 28, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have had quite a major depression, had suicidal thoughts and felt very tired and unhappy. I finally decided to get help and start medications, Zoloft was my first prescribed medication. It saved my life. After a few weeks I have started to feel differences, after a few months, I felt happy again! All my anxiety and negative thoughts were away. No side effects as well. Really recommend if you feel that there is nothing else you can do. Don't forget to work with a therapist meanwhile!"

Zolo (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2018

"I’ve had depression for almost two years now. I’ve been doing talk therapy for awhile and at one point I realized I “needed” medication. My doctor prescribed me sertraline and I was on it for a few months. My symptoms included: nausea, nightmares, headaches, low energy, calmness, small appetite, déjà vu, and sadness. On this medication, I was worse than I ever was. I was on the lowest dose so my doctor said it would be okay to just stop taking it. Ever since I’ve been off of it, I am back to how I was before the medication. Through talking to many people, I realized this medication is not for people under the age of 25 because our brains have not fully developed (I’m 18) therefore sertraline is more successful in those older than 25. Please do your research before falling into the same dark spiral I fell into."

Girl A (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2018

"I started Sertraline on 100mg and when it got going it seemed OK. However after about six months I found that I had to revisit my GP for increase dose. Now on 150mg but having increased dose I find that the sweating is awful. Right to the roots of my hair. It drips down my back. Very visible on my face - on forehead, temples, neck, above lip. It is VERY obvious to anyone around you. I’ve dripped into my glasses at times. Think I’m going to have to change either dose or tablets completely as I cannot tolerate this any more. I’ve an appointment to discuss it all with my GP."

Drouthy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2018

"After 6 years on this, I woke up one day and decided to see what my life was without it. I should point out that I was in a positive, mentally healthy place and felt capable of going off it. I tapered off it and within the first couple of weeks felt like I had woken Up. I felt emotionally involved in people I had neglected for years, I felt connected to my unique self for the first time in all these years, it just totally felt like I had come out of a dream. It left a wake of years where I became a complacent human spinning their wheels cause I couldn't care enough to change my situation and because I wasn't bothered by the nagging thoughts that allow us to self-improve. I understand these meds are necessary for survival to some and I'm so glad it exists for that reason. I will believe it was the best choice for me at the time but please please be mindful and over time, touch base with yourself and do not ever believe once you start a medication you won't be as good without it."

Gwen (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 9, 2018

"I was prescribed Sertraline for depression 3 wks ago 25mg a day, as I'm on 72mg Concerta XL for ADHD. First 2 days it made me dizzy & agitated, then came the sweating! Followed by an overdose & weekend unconscious in hospital! I already suffer hyperhydrosis of face & its made it worse. My back, head, face, chest & tops of my legs at back, are awful. Sat watching tv in evening & sweats trickling down my forehead & from above my cheek bones. My backs wet through & when I get up my shorts are saturated & there are wet marks on the sofa. I've never experienced anything like it & in UK its not like we have much sun & heat; although, to add insult to injury, we're currently experiencing temps of 27-32 degree celcius! I've emailed my psychiatrist & asked for different SSRI. I used citalopram 10 yrs ago & don't remember any sweats then, just weight gain. Anyone else had excessive sweating with SSRI's? And if so did you find a different drug which didn't have that side effect for you?"

Drummie69 (taken for less than 1 month) July 5, 2018

"Wow I’ve been on this drug coming on 6 weeks it has dramatically changed a lot, I’m lots happier, I’m eating more and my skin is better. I couldn’t be more happy, and no side affects, I did have mild headaches for a few days that’s it in the first 4 days. Very impressed I’m so calm I sleep I eat I talk I wake up and get up :) thanks sertraline"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 2, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "Was on this for several years through highschool. I never felt much of a change. A bit foggy feeling. I didn't get as low as I would sometimes, though. Zoloft was just ok."

Max (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 2, 2018

"I have been taking Sertraline for over a year now after suffering a mental breakdown due to stress. It does take a few weeks to really kick in, but once it does.. wow it is life-changing! My anxiety is non-existant, my frustrations and bad temper has disappeared. I think more logically about things without emotions getting in the way. I'm much more confident in myself. Its almost like a magic-pill, the doctor did note that I responded really well to Sertraline. Currently I'm on a dosage of 150mg a day and I never want to come off it. If your doctor prescribes you with Sertraline, do take it. It may change your life. (NOTE - Sertraline will NOT work if you drink alcohol alongside it."

Jimbob (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 1, 2018

"I have been on sertraline for years. I have always been reluctant to be on medication and decided to taper off a couple of times, but every time would be a complete disaster. After my latest breakdown, I went into a deep depression and doubted that I would ever be the same again. After 2 months on 150mg, I am feeling 100x better. This drug has saved my life and I have accepted that I will probably need to be on it for life. For me, the adverse effects are nothing in comparison to the depression and anxiety that plagues me with out it. The start up effects are horrible and you feel worse before you feel better. Be patient! Give it at least 4 weeks before adjusting dosages. Lastly, forget the stigma, do not feel weak for needing medication - you are strong for battling and if this med helps, then why not - after all diabetics take diabetic medicine and cardiac patients heart medicines."

Couchsurfer (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 30, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I absolutely hated this drug. I am a female and 21 years of age with borderline personality and depression. Lowers sex drive. Intercourse is severely painful. Intercourses is dry, causes stinging and burning sensations during and after sex. Almost impossible to orgasm. Only good thing about this drug is you don’t feel like a zombie on it. But if you love sex do not take this drug because you will end up hating sex after you experience the pain you acquire. I was close to tears almost every time after intercourses. I even tried lube and the pain is still consistent. "

Missy (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 30, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "Good medicine helps anxiety and depression, was on higher dose but seemed to make me too tired and not care as much, lowered it to 50-75 mg and tad more anxiety but side effects down and much more like myself, maybe it’s true less is more"

Robyn132 June 28, 2018

"I'm originally someone who has epilepsy, but my neurologist put me on Zoloft for my mood stabilizer and also antidepressant, Keppra, one of my epilepsy meds keeps me very angry and hyperactive all the time. So I weened off very slowly, not 25mg at a time, that's to much at a time, try 10mg at a time if you're interested in tapering."

Qwest4life June 27, 2018

"Man o man.... whew, what a ride. I have been depressed and plagued with panic attacks for the last 20 years that made life almost unbearable. I used to take 8 mgs of Xanax and 40 mgs Prozac, Ambien to sleep and 4 mgs of Klonopion on top of that without hardly any relief. One day about 6 months ago, my Dr. Retired. I thought I was doomed. Boy was I wrong! My new Dr put me on a beginning dose of 50 mg of Zoloft. I had no negative side effects nor positive either so he went up gradually to 150mg. I'm telling you now, that was the greatest thing that ever happened to ME! My anxiety went to almost zero (even though I quit the Xanax, Klonopin, Ambien) my depression is non existent and my life is complete! Had I only known about this "Miracle Drug" earlier .... Thank goodness for my new Dr and Thank God for Zoloft! I am a totally new at 55 years old!"

El (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 21, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been taking 50mg for stress / adjustment disorder (ie not diagnoses depression / anxiety) and feel a lot better. The first week was tough (nausea, insomnia, feeling very, very low) and I did use temezapam to sleep due to the alertness. It's been 2 months and I use the stimulating effect to my advantage - if I take it at night I wake up at 6am WIDE AWAKE. It's so good! I don't feel drowsy and I don't wake up during the night. I also have noticed that I don't get breast tenderness with my periods anymore! Yay!"

Reja (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2018

"At the beginning I had side effects such as nausea and headaches, and did feel a bit zoned out. Despite these symptoms, in 2-3 weeks I slowly began to feel an increase in mood and I think by working alongside counselling to control thought patterns, this drug is the help I needed. I have been taking it for around 2 months and although down days still occur they are not as often anymore."

Anon (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I wanted to share my experience to give people hope. Four months ago, I started having debilitating panic attacks almost daily, which then turned into a constant anxiety, not wanting to leave the house or do anything anymore, insomnia and the deepest depression I have ever known. I tried whatever I could to rid myself of it... meditation, therapy, self help books, diet, supplements. I had been very anti medication for myself. The first 3 days on Zoloft weren’t easy. I had insomnia, was shaky and felt agitated, zoning out and crying and crying. I am on day 4 now and I woke up this morning with the clearest mind. I haven’t felt like this in as long as I can remember. I feel so positive. I know it’s only early days but this gives me enormous hope. I am increasing my dose and pushing through any side effects. Don’t suffer endlessly as I have."

Anon June 13, 2018

"Awful caused a mental breakdown. No evidence to support antidepressants are effective in under 25s"

Loz (taken for less than 1 month) June 12, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had a difficult time on this medication. I was given 25mg for depression and anxiety. I have bipolar disorder but due to perimeno my depression and anxiety have become extremely horrible. I am sensitive to medication and took only half (12.5mg) of a pill to start. Within 30 minutes I was so amped up I could not stop talking or sit still. I had a headache, electric feeling through my whole body, dizziness, muscle cramps and sweating. About four hours in, after trying to eat, I got hives and really itchy. When I went to bed I stayed somewhere between awake and sleeping mixed with anxiety and nightmares. The next day I felt sore and exhausted and fuzzy headed. I will say I was not depressed or suicidal but obviously I had a bad reaction. I won’t be taking another one which is a shame. It took me a month to try it due to being afraid of taking an antidepressant because of possible side effects. Hopefully this med can help someone else."

yveseclipse (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2018

"Sertraline saved my life. I remember reading these reviews before starting my meds, though I had them at my disposal I was too afraid to take them, I thought that they would change me or make me worse. For the first few days I was feeling worse, but it was definitely worth it. I have no side effects and finally feel normal, and my family can finally stop worrying about me. I used to have suicidal thoughts everyday and had paralyzing social anxiety and I'm only on 50mg and I feel cured. I have attempted suicide in the past and can say that I've never felt consistently happy in life before. I take my meds at night because they make me drowsy."

Anon May 30, 2018

"Before my parents finally saw it was time for me to seek for medical help, I had a major anxiety attack, spent 9 hours locked in my bathroom crying/sleeping, I usually tend to have attacks before seeing people. I dropped out of college after only 1 semester and I still can't explain why. I'm on Sertraline for 1 month now. Still can´t feel much difference, I was kinda expecting more, but after reading some experiences I guess it takes a while to really feel something. On my first week I had a lot of side effects, dry mouth, shivering, stomachache, loss of libido, dryness of the mouth (which was great because it made me drink more water). The side effects didn't bother me much, I caught myself laughing when my hands where shaking, my mom hates medicines so I don't have any support at home."

Colleen (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2018

"I take sertraline for anxiety, depression and PTSD. It really does help me go about my daily life. I find I'm less prone to being mad or scared and actively want to do things. I was worried that is just stop being me when I started It, but I still feel like me. It doesn't completely stop me from shutting down at times, but after starting it, I've had the clarity of mind to calm down before I broke down. I now primarily stutter when upset and not constantly like I used to. There are some side effects, of course. When I first started, I had horrible stomach aches. Thankfully, they stopped within a week, but maaaaan they were horrid. I had to basically curl up in a ball for a half-hour and wait for my gut to stop trying to wrestle itself. It happened again when I progressed from the 25mg to the 50mg dosage and to the 75mg, but it was very mild when I first started my 100s."

Ay May 25, 2018