User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 217 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Depression

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed Zoloft 25mg a day for Depression and Anxiety/panic attacks. I was also having severe insomnia at the time and really bad anger problems. From the first day I took Zoloft, my anger almost completely went away. I wasn't upset by things that normally annoyed me anymore. Another plus I noticed almost immediately was the lift in mood. I had great success raising my mood and lifting depression in the first few weeks of this drug. However I stopped taking Zoloft after 4 weeks because the negatives were far outweighing the positives. My insomnia and panic attacks got WAY worse, it was horrifying. I went to the ER because I had the worse panic of my life and thought I was dying. Sleep was impossible. Now I'm trying Remeron."

klee979 (taken for less than 1 month) April 25, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have Bipolar I with severe depressive episodes lasting up to 16 months. Zoloft was a last ditch effort to improve my depression; I was formerly on Luvox and found it too sedating and less effective after being on it for over a decade. So far, I have had 15 days without severe depression after being on Zoloft for one month. I think it's working. I am tired but I am not sure if that is the Zoloft or something else as I am on several medications for psychiatric problems."

Liz89 April 18, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience with Sertraline has been an interesting one. It started off badly. One of the side effects seems to be enhanced anxiety levels. I also became increasingly depressed and struggled communicating at times. I had disturbed sleep patterns and constantly racing negative thoughts. It was tough. I had read up on the subject though and understood that this was only temporary and battled through it. There were times that I nearly gave up. Times when it all seemed too much. Slowly, but surely, things started to improve. The first two weeks were hell, the third week became hellish and the fourth less so. After 6 weeks my smile had returned, I was able to tackle the world and confidence began to flow. It's been a life changer / saver."

Straightened Out (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been on Zoloft for 7 months now and it has really improved my life. The first few weeks were absolutely BRUTAL. Couldn't focus, super dizzy, nausea, more depressed, etc. However, I stuck with it and after about a month, the depression started to get much better. Of course, I still have my days (who doesn't?) but I would highly recommend trying Zoloft if you can get through the first few weeks. It truly has changed my life for the better."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 10, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I feel like this medication is hit or miss. It either works really well or not at all. I started at 50mg a day at the beginning of 2015 and slowly increased to 200mg a day. At first I thought I was getting better, but it turns out I was just confusing feeling numb with feeling better. My dr kept increasing the dose but it didn't work and I eventually switched to a different medication. I experienced a few side effects: dry mouth, headaches, dizziness, those ones were manageable. But the sexual dysfunction side effect freaking sucked. I couldn't orgasm at all most of the time and when I could it took almost an hour to get there! Sooo yeah......that might be TMI but whatever. I'm now on bupropion which is working wonders for me!"

georgiaedwards (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Did this make any one else more emotional? Since I've been on these I've been non stop been thinking about my first love. We stopped talking 7 years ago now all I do is get upset and think about her non stop."

Smurf1242 April 7, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Was prescribed this just over a month ago. The side effects have been minimal and now gone. My GP recommended I took it with my evening meal to minimise them and it worked for me. Within days I was sleeping better and even if I wake in the night I can get back to sleep unlike before when I'd wake after a couple of hours with an overactive mind. I don't feel half as frantic, irritable and miserable as I did."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First time prescribed solotik last week 50mg for mild anxiety when I first wake up and depression which gets severe close to my period. First day of solotik I felt amazing I was ready to do all the great things and wonder if this is how I should normally feel. Second day: "booom!" What is that? side effects (hands sweating, anxiety, hot flashes, sleeping during the day, anxiety, nausea, no appetite, constipation, migraine, foggy memory, numb, no focus, awakened 4-6am by panic attack, itchy, lazy, nightmares, period late) spoke to my doc he insisted I continue. 4 days of hell pills down the drain now :) I miss my old emotional, deep, sensitive self. My memories, connection. Who had ability to write and feel small to big things in life."

unknown121 (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "My original post was 10/2/16-had great results immediately on 50mg daily. I am able to hold down a full time job that I love, which was impossible prior to Zoloft. Rarely have anxiety anymore, my relationship with my husband has improved, and the constant "internal storm" is gone. At 51, I finally feel HAPPY!!! Keep trying everyone!"

AnneJay (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2017

33 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"After 5 years on Zoloft I am slowly coming off! They have been the best SSRIs ever, but the weight I have put on is not good, and my blood pressure is high due to the pills, so time to stop."

Coming Off at last. April 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Made me wake in the night with hot sweats. Constant dry mouth. Insomnia was awake for 36 hours straight. Sent me into an even deeper black hole than I was already in left me crying uncontrollably and feeling lower than I was before. Stopped after one week and felt better for it"

Candyfloss (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My story goes like this : In December my life was turned upside down, my best friend got killed. Like most people I cried, but then got on with my life .. until 6 weeks ago : I found myself sitting on my balcony 14 stories high at 7am planning to kill myself. I had wrote a letter to my parents and my friends apologising for letting them down. I stood from my balcony and attempted to jump. I didn't, something stopped me, as I didn't want to die. Baring in mind this depression came on so quickly .. I went to bed, and woke up with these awful thoughts. I rang my doctors in tears, they got me to see somebody straight away.... and I can honestly say ... I have never looked back. These 50mg tablets are the best thing that has happened to me"

Jan1981 March 29, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was prescribed Zoloft 10 years ago when I went through a very stressful experience and started having panic attacks & depression I found Zoloft to be fantastic; a true 'happy pill'! Within a month, life felt like living again, my panic attacks ceased, I was far better able to cope with my circumstances at the time, and I was able to stop taking it a few months later. I took it again a year later on the advice of a doctor, who suggested it for my chronic irritable bowel syndrome; unfortunately it did not work for this condition. However, I mistakenly stopped taking Zoloft suddenly instead of gradually reducing the dose, and began having severe hypnic jerks at night , which are a known side effect."

SandyKatz (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 27, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have tried several antidepressants, but nothing seemed to work. However, I started Zoloft about a week ago, and I am officially sold on it. It makes me feel more optimistic about life. I'm enjoying life more minus all of the worrying. I think it must be working because my 7 year old told my 10 year old that "mom's acting weird, she's being really nice","

Babydoll77 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2017

38 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I am diagnosed with severe depression. Since started taking 25 mg things improved in the first 3 days. I stopped crying and was able to work on my issues communicating with the surrounding in a more positive way. We upped the dose to 50 mg. The only drawback are vivid dreams that I am having, Night sweats, And I feel extremely sleepy at 10-11 am if I don't get out of the house. I also feel more tired throughout the day. But it doesn't affect my workout routine for example. Of course the drug doesn't solve my problems but it gave me possibility to calm down and look at things in a better brighter light and enables me to communicate my concerns without agitation, or crying, or screaming or yelling."

J10019 March 25, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Brilliant for my teen & worked to reduce his OCD & anxiety."

Luckyjenny (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on it for a week and a bit . I gotta say it's not what I expected. I've never taken anything before , so this is all a first . Well I was put on 50mg and that made me extremely sleepy . It was all I did and I couldn't really do much else . Went to the doctors and lowered my dose to 25 mg. That seems a lot better . I'm able to get up and do things . I still feel dizzy and don't really feel like eating . I'm starting to feel better though . I don't feel like crying and I'm not obsessing or replaying things in my mind . That sharp pain in my stomach has lessen as well."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I didn't really notice any side affects too bad. More like bad sleeping habits (waking up at 2 am and not going back to sleep for two hours) and I also had nightmares quite frequently for two weeks. But I've been taking it for 6 weeks now for depression and anxiety, and I feel great. I have so many more good days than I used to. I'm not down as often."

Mak11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started about 10 days ago, the first week was tough, sertraline kept me up and ruined my sleep cycle a bit, had a shaking jaw, low appetite, struggled to hold a conversation. It's gotten a lot better, though. I wake up between 6 and 7 am, I feel like my energy is slowly coming back to me, I don't feel hopeless and suicidal. I'm on a 6-month course of it and I'm hoping I come out of this feeling good."

Bard_ March 16, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Unfortunately this medication didn't work for me and I was combining it with exercise on a regular basis. I feel so low most days and I sometimes find it hard to even go out at all. I'm not trying a SNRI to see if that works. On the plus side no side effects at all."

Sarahm1992 March 16, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Gave one star to Zoloft for its effort, but really it deserves zero stars from my experience. I was on Remeron, then Cipralex (Lexapro for American users) for almost a year and when it stopped working I decided to go with Zoloft after reading good reviews. Zoloft slowly turned me into the worst version of myself. Constant anger, irritation, nausea, no appetite, no motivation, and man the heart burn was unreal. And the list goes on and on. I took it for a week at 25mg and 3 weeks at 50mg to give it a shot but I had to stop because I was just falling apart. I am currently on Effexor, its been almost a week and it is slowly putting me back together from the Zoloft disaster."

rsb19 (taken for less than 1 month) March 14, 2017

21 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was prescribed this for anxiety and depression and can honestly say I wish I had never taken the first pill. I was told to take 50mg a day and after the first one I felt unwell with huge pupils and 'out of it' but thought I'd need to get used to the pill. After the second dose it was hell, no appetite, being sick, unable to keep anything down, a pounding headache that wouldn't stop, blurry vision, hot sweats, waking up every hour in the night, shaking and horrid thoughts. I contacted a pharmacist friend who said I had obviously got the worse end of the side effects and if I continued it might get better or stop and ride out what I was already feeling. I chose to stop, I thought this pill would solve my problem- it did not."

BD7482 March 12, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Side effects 1st couple of weeks, tingling fingers, shaking hands, insomnia & nausea...All of which ceased thereafter. Felt a lifting of mood day two & incredibly better from weeks 3 to 4. Suffered from depression & anxiety, both of which are much better. Easier to cope with everything, keep things in perspective & enjoy life. Noticed lately issue with short-term memory, to the point where I forget the end of my sentences which is tricky...Believe is a likely side effect so will discuss with my GP. Overall am very glad I started with this as the improvement is fab."

McCazzie March 10, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My depression and anxiety left me house bound and unable to pull myself out of bed, incapable of getting into the shower and basic everyday tasks. I'm 1 week into my Zoloft prescription and feeling lows and peaks of the medication. Today is tough which is why I found this site to see how you all feel. Does anyone feel like huge surge of depression? I don't understand the overwhelming feelings today out of the blue?"

Victoria l f March 7, 2017

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "If you are scrolling through 1000's of reviews like I was, this one is for you. I started Zoloft three weeks ago for Major Depression and overwhelming anxiety and panic attacks. I started at 25mg for a week, then up to 50mg. Initially, I felt a million times worse, constant panic attacks, increase in suicidal intrusive thoughts, deep depression. But, after just 1 week at 50mg, I noticed a difference in mood, and it's been better and better since. Fight through the initial worsening of symptoms if you can! I asked for xanax to help me get through it. It definitely gets worse before it gets better for some people, but it was 100% worth it for me! I also had slight nausea, a sore neck, and some dizziness that all seem to be subsiding."

Babylady83 March 2, 2017