User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 79 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Just recently was diagnosed with bipolar tapered off of paxil to try this oh my I was not myself much worse my mania went through the roof talking very fast spending money without thought impetuous thoughts needed to come off of it after a week"

Angelina0518 April 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take this medication at 50 mg. once daily for the least severe form of bipolar depression usually the mild type. Additionally I take it for social anxiety, post traumatic stress disorder, and the the slightest degree of obsessive compulsive behavior or thoughts due to anxiety and stress. It seems to also help with my emotions during Premenstrual Syndrome linked to depression. Zoloft has helped a lot. I also take Ritalin 20 mg. twice daily as part of the treatment, not to mention that I have suffered ADHD/ADD symptoms, too. Not a miracle drug, bit it works well giving me a lot of relief in my symptoms."

AshleyNave100 January 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I am 42. I don't really have a diagnosis but after our 3rd child at 37, something changed. What I would describe as "a mood disorder" stopped me in my tracks. After a lifetime of ups and downs and seasonal depression, I finally got help. I have always been creative, days of high energy and an eventual crash. I've been a parent since the age of 17, so it seemed normal to run on empty. I am obsessive, compulsive, mind racing, loving, over bearing, and extremely defensive and emptional. The lows have helped inspire passion and the highs have kept me motivated and driven. I called my OBGYN after several months of extreme symptoms. Panic, paranoia, emotional break downs...etc. Zoloft saved my marriage and my life. 50-150mg over 4 yrs."

yoda422 December 22, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Feel much better, I'm energized and my mood slowly gets better every day. I'm on week two. 100mg/d"

cw33 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm diagnosed as Bipolar I since one year and an half. Since then, I have tried many medications (almost all available on the market) some anti-psychotics and antidepressants. By far, Zoloft is a miracle drug for me. I had lost all hope to ever feel happy again one day. But this medication finally do the job. I have more energy, a lot less of anxiety, I can focus on the tasks that I want to accomplish in my life. I have tried previously Prozac and Wellbutrin but they didn't do anything to me. Never give up, finding the right medication can be very long, but when you find it, it worth it. The medication kicked in after 3 weeks of use."

northface101 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 27, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was diagnosed Bipolar with severe depression, ptsd, and anxiety in May of 2015. I have been suffering since childhood. I used to have racing thought, nightmares, suicidal thoughts, extreme highs and lows within minutes, etc. I can now be around family and friends without screaming, deal with traffic and go to the grocery store without having a mental breakdown. The first couple weeks were rough but wore off after 3 weeks or so. I have been on it since May, 2015 at 200mg a day. Lately I have had horrible migranes and nausea and don't have any motivation to find a new job."

Kwinkler (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 19, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm on Zoloft for many yrs but have tried many other's But I don't think that I'm bipolar. That's a diagnosis I got 20yrs ago. I'm scheduled to get an updated diagnoses next week. I have had depression since I was in grade school. I knew it. Through the years I've read about symptoms and just recently read an article about how to know what kind of counselor to choose. So I will let you all know how it goes because I've been looking for help as my depression and anxiety helplessness affective mood disorder is driving me to not want to be here anymore. Obviously I'm not ready tho because I'm still pounding my head up against the wall. "

I'm still confused (taken for 10 years or more) August 14, 2016

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 26 and had been on the Zoloft for about 13 years at a low dosage for depression and social anxiety disorder. However in August I had it increased to the highest dosage I had ever been on. I subsequently incurred depression, suicidal states, vicious angry mania, irrational thinking and mixed states, almost another evil personality. It turns out I was misdiagnosed with severe depression and not Bipolar Disorder. It's been reported that antidepressants like Zoloft can make symptoms of Bipolar disorder worse. It was a very bad way to find out you're Bipolar and even worse that the medication you take is causing you to be worse. It had worked for me for about 12 years, with no weight gain, nor sexual side effects."

Ken Kreisel (taken for 10 years or more) November 29, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I lost medical coverage 1 1/2 years ago and had to quit my Sertraline. Remember folks, all of our chemistries are different, so different anti-depressants will work for some but not others-you have to keep searching for what works for you. I tried Prozac, Lithium and Wellbutrin-all made me feel worse. But Sertraline works for me. The only thing is, like many things, it loses its effect after prolonged use. So I am about to get back on it after almost 2 years of non-treatment. I am looking forward to the results again which will last 2-3 years then dry out again, and start again. Another vicious cycle included in depression ..."

Depressed Since A Teenager (taken for 10 years or more) October 1, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is by far the best medication of about the 5 I have been tried on Doesnt make me feel like a zombie I agree with others tho I do experience slight rapid cycling and I have got myself into a financial pickle lately over spending but to be able to control my anxiety and my compulsive behaviour really has helped me to feel "normal" again"

A6XBB June 9, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Unbelievable change had no idea why I felt the way and why my actions were not normal , but normal for me. I am bipolar and the Zoloft is just letting me function better and I can be a real dad not a part time , my family talk to me. Getting this control back has made work an whole new thing. I love my job now and have got tools to help me with situations. I have also become a lot more creative and finish every thing I start and my memory and arithmetic are 2nd to none which is very important in my job. I am so happy, my family are happy. I love not being up and down and all around and confused. It is a life saver for me. I hope every one gets the help they need. My blood pressure has also come down and I also write too Cheers"

Big fulla March 14, 2015

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed with sertraline a few years ago for MDD and bipolar disorder. Even tough it took some time to produce positive effects, sertraline was, indeed effective (especially when combined with bupropion and escitalopram). The mood variations disappeared, depression decreased. From the negative side, it produced a decrease in libido, and an extreme decrease in creativity. If you are a composer, a painter, a writer, etc, you should, in my opinion, expect a possible and very pronounced decrease in creativity during the its use. The temptation to interrupt the treatment for the benefit of recovering the creativity should be strongly resisted."

Male_24_Caucasian (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Zoloft brought me out of a deep depression nothing else worked. I am concerned it will make me manic as im bipolar 1, so far so good. I do get a tremor with it but I'm also on lithium."

Molly woppit November 21, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on sertraline for about 6 months now and I have started to notice I am much more confident in social situations and outside the house. I suffer with Bipolar 2 and anxiety and often won't leave the house because of this anxiety. My social anxiety is much better on sertraline compared with other SSRIs. It has made getting to sleep more difficult, but I tend to take the tablet mid-afternoon which helps. It's had no effect on my trichotillomania and not a huge effect during my depressive periods. The mood stabilizer lamotrigine has been a better antidepressant."

crazyukman (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have tried a variety of SSRI antidepressant medications and Zoloft by far was the most useful in managing my anxiety and depression. I am bipolar 1 and also take lithium, propranolol, gabapentin, Vistaril and Klonopin. The main problem was that more recently I have begun having rapid cycling manic episodes forcing me to begin tapering off."

Weavnuts (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 13, 2014

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Initially it helped with anxiety and depression. However, I started having manic episodes and rapid cycling while on it. My psychiatrist said no more SSRIs for me, and they generally aren't recommended for Bipolar. Now I wish I could have some of the anti-anxiety effects of Zoloft, but that benefit is not worth the risk. Zoloft gave me slight sexual side effects, overeating, and minor headaches. That being said, it is a miracle for some."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 11, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I take many medications for Depression (Bi-Polar) and this one helps without the sleepiness that the other ones give. I take a total of four different medications for depression some to help me sleep and others as a supplement."

johnw489 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 25, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Did help with depression however had bad side effects like low libido. Also, created manic symptoms even when on lithium so I can't even be on a high enough dose to be really effective."

plibs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 5, 2013

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've just switched from venlafaxine to sertraline (four week switch-over) because the former was affecting my sodium levels. However I've only just stopped the last of the venlafaxine last week and am on 100mg. POSITIVE EFFECTS: not depressed, not dead. NEGATIVE EFFECTS: moderate manic symptoms (four hours' sleep in 24, talking and laughing too much for others' comfort, easily distracted, spending money like water, intolerance of quiet and calm). However it could be that I'm just on too high a dose for my sensitivity to the medicine and I haven't done anything dangerous nor lost insight like I can do on other medicines."

CrazyBrit October 25, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I took Zoloft for 2 years at 100mg daily for bipolar disorder type I. Zoloft is wonderful in that it made me significantly less anxious. However, it didn't succeed in making me any less depressed. Also, as with most anti-depressants, I experienced a decreased sex drive. "

volynn May 14, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was originally prescribed Zoloft for depression, but in 6 months I had a severe manic episode and was diagnosed Bipolar 1. Now I take Zoloft with other medicines. I would not recommend taking it alone if you may be Bipolar. I like that I have very few side effects and it does help with anxiety and compulsive behavior too. One problem is no sexual desire, I feel like I am neglecting my boyfriend."

Wyndrake March 31, 2011

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "worked well for a month then I quickly ramped up to a manic episode"

collinscj2009 October 4, 2010

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "My original experience with Zoloft was over ten years ago, during a serious depressive episode - it seemed to be effective as a stabilizer. This past December, a doctor prescribed it again to help pull me out of another down-turn. Within the course of a month I progressed from severe depression to ultradian mood cycling, which resulted in a nervous breakdown. The cycling abated within a couple weeks of discontinued treatment with Zoloft. "

Crystal Dawn October 2, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I seem to be doing very well on this medicine (was on Cymbalta for 2 years and it lost its purpose such as many antidepressants do). Zoloft is not supposed to wear off over time."

atlanta 1 September 4, 2009

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I used to have a lot of problems with my bi-polar. I was self medicating with marijuana. I started taking Zoloft and things worked well, although once I had a major manic episode and lost all my money. Ouch!"

murph.ferguson.gmail.com April 11, 2009