User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"So. Long story short I attempted Suicide 2 years ago.I am a 33y/o Female. I shot myself in the chest with a 9mm handgun. My current diagnosis is ~Bipolar type 2 Rapid Cycling ~Generalized Anxiety Disorder , that covers the whole spectrum, social anxiety, large crowds, a few people in a small room, moderate to severe depression and PTSD. My psychiatrist has been trying all kinds of medications. I got fed up with it . After taking prozac for a year with no improvement & then tried lamictal. I was awake for 9 days with the exception of 20 minute naps here & there. So I took 6 months taking nothing but the seroquil on nights I couldn't sleep and the xanax for anxiety & panic attacks. This will be the 5th medication I am trying. I'm scared 2 be honest"

suicide survivor January 14, 2017

"Suffered anxiety for years - rushing thoughts - always tense. Had psycho therapy for a while and although it cleared up a lot of things the anxiety persisted including OCDing over thoughts. Now after six years on day 4 of this stuff and I feel I got my life back. I feel like me again - no rushing thoughts and i can handle stress much better. So happy !!"

JackHollingee January 11, 2017

"A life of aniexty for as long as I can remember. Stress and events increased my aniexty which turned into depression. I felt like I was losing my mind and couldn't find the calm through the storm. After having what I'd call a melt down I knew it was more than I could do alone. Scared and shamed to take the medication route to find relief I put it off for so long. Finally I gave in and thought anything is better than how I was coping. After two weeks of laughing more, thinking/worrying less, and just waking up to a clearer mind I knew. I felt better taking my first step to a healthier, happier life. I have found 25mg has taken the edge off I needed. :) Never give up!"

CarMarie January 10, 2017

"Early days as just starting this due to mirtazapine not working, difficult to rate yet but have high hopes for some relief from daily anxiety, affecting being unable to socialise and continue with normal life. Tried CBT but after 20 sessions no better. Your website is helpful with others experiences giving an insight. Will post again if successful."

Barabasnae (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

"I started 25mg of Zoloft two weeks ago. My experience is different because I started taking it after 6 months on Prozac. On Prozac I ended up with paranoia, obsessive thoughts and certainty that I was going crazy, but didn't recognize it as a side effect of medicine. Finally, my therapist told me that Prozac must be making me crazy. As soon as I stopped Prozac and started Zoloft i felt better. I'm not yet sure if I feel better because I'm off Prozac or because Zoloft is working, but I'm calmer and feeling "normal". Still low and worried about everything."

Maggie111 December 31, 2016

"I was suffering with anxiety with constant running thoughts and feeling overwhelmed. I did 1 on 1 counselling sessions then took the next step by trying medication. I've never been prescribed medication nor take any thing even if I have a headache. I was started on 25mg once a day and now have been on it for about 4 weeks. I must say this has been the one of the best choices I have ever made. I immediately felt relieved from anxious thoughts and stress . I am more calm and can think clearly without worrying. At first yes I experienced very moderate side effects like the blurred vision, light, fogginess but it takes time for your brain neurons to adjust. I would say after 4 days of taking it I felt fine. I finally have my life back !!!"

LoveLifexoo December 24, 2016

"When I took this drug I was 7 months pregnant with extreme anxiety and depression. I was sectioned on account of the fact I wanted to commit suicide and had taken myself to hospital in a desperate attempt to get help before I did something stupid. It was the worst time of my life. The first week of taking the drug saw my symptoms worsen and the side effects were horrendous. I've seen hell and it was that first week or two. It took two months for the drug to reach its full potential with therapy. The side effects don't last. My baby is 2 now and I'm glad I took sertraline; it saved out lives. Depression is a physical illness like any other and needs treatment. Suicide is the result of untreated depression. Seek help if you feel depressed."

Madame Bouffant (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2016

"Zoloft has made a world of positive difference in my life. After about a year in a toxic work environment, my anxiety started yielding at least one strong panic attack per week. It was getting worse--I went from specific situational triggers that I could predict to sudden, out-of-nowhere panic. I started on zoloft at 25mg, and titrated up to 50mg after two weeks. The first two weeks were a little rocky--although I felt great most of the day, I did notice a bit of anxiety coming on right before the next dose. My appetite decreased (not to a scary level), and I was a bit shaky and definitely a little nauseous. After about two to three weeks, I could tell it was working."

BTG (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

"Zoloft brought me out of agoraphobia! It's a wonder drug I'd still be in my room if not for this drug"

Nonam December 18, 2016

"Well been on this a week 25 mg once a day at bedtime then will go to two tablets a day . One in am one at bed . No side effects at all yet .I hope this kicks in soon . I take wellbutrin for 10 yrs now . 150 mg a day and venlafaxine 150 mg a day - I hope this new med kicks in soon. Seems pretty tame . I hope to feel better soon !!!"

LesmelMc December 14, 2016

"I had severe OCD, anxiety, major depression and insomnia. I ended up on Quetiapine 200mg to treat the insomnia and anxiety. I was later prescribed Sertraline 50mg and increased to 200mg gradually through 50mg increments every 2 weeks. I noticed a significant improvement after 6 weeks. After the second week of Sertraline 200mg I began to reduce the Quetiapine by 50mg every 2 weeks until stopping. The psychiatrist suggested taking Quetiapine alongside Sertraline would minimise the reported initial increase of symptoms caused by starting Sertraline. This was sound advice as I had no increase in symptoms initially. The main side effects I've had are joint pain in my neck, shoulders and knees and increased wind."

Rob_1985 December 12, 2016

"Hi, I've been suffering with panic disorder for a year which has become progressively worse. My doctor put me on Sertraline and I tried the first one. Spent the day out with family, no big issues just some mild anxiety. Came home and felt my eye sight was a bit funny, distant and I couldn't focus. Feel asleep only to wake in a horrific panic attack. Arms and hands where numb and tingling and my brain was slow. More utterly terrifying was that I couldn't see. White and then flashes of vision broken. I had panic attack so like I've never endured and genuinely believed I was going blind. My partner called the emergency doctor who after ruling out a stroke said I had rare side affects. Never touching them again"

Sabrina8onghi December 11, 2016

"I have been suffering from anxiety and stress since 2013, xanax was suggested to me, 4 years on xanax..5mg thrice a day but even then I was anxious. I decided to consult psychiatrist for complete treatments, he prescribed Zoloft 25mg BD for a week then 50mg OD, on day 7 i started feeling good, on 8 day I have started to take 50mg feeling little foggy but it will obviously show its full effect up to week 4. So give the zoloft time to work... Wish u all the best.."

Khan Baba (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2016

"Seems to take the edge of anxiety to some extent. Also having acceptance and commitment therapy which is helping quite a bit too. Still have bad days though but not quite as bad generally as before I was on the medication. No real side effects from what I've seen."

Damo G (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2016

"I was in therapy for two years for anxiety,my anxiety got so bad I couldn't drive hated traffic,basically didn't want to leave the house only for business,I was so scared to take medicine so I decided to go get on meds I had the bottle for two days before I took it finally last night I took it guess what I'm fine no side effect .nothing!I worried for nothing so don't listen to all the negative stories try for yourself I'm very new on it but I had to write this review for someone who may be as scared as I was .I was scared I even was going to go the emergency room and take it and I wasn't going to sign in I just thought I would feel safer if I sat there to take it haha Im on zoloft 25 mg if your wondering and I'm so glad I gave it a try!"

Scared to death for nothing (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

"I've been suffering crippling anxiety since divorcing a sociopath and having life throw some seriously scary shit at me. I'm a single mother with no family to support me and as I suffer social anxiety too - not many friends either. I felt less anxious quite quickly - and even had a few 'normal' moments which I haven't had for months so I was hopeful. However, after just three days I noticed I was sweating more, and feeling agitated. Then I had the worst night ever of constant palpitations, panic, with terrible dreams when I did eventually sleep. I must have got up like 10 times to wee. I was super jumpy - a small sound in the night would have me almost hitting the ceiling with the sudden panic. Not good - stopped immediately."

Griff1969 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

"I tried wellbutrin for depression which worked for a couple months, but then I had memory issues.I couldn't remember what I was thinking two seconds later.It scared the crap out of me so badly I couldn't try anything else. Years went by trying to go without, now I'm prescribed sertraline for depression. At first I was terrified but realized I was psyching myself out of actually giving it a try. Before I took this, I barely was eating, sleeping...horrible...now, I gained 5-6 lbs back, can sleep, I just feel better. Some days are rough but not as bad as they used to be. I noticed a lack of sex drive, and dry mouth, but besides that feel great. My dosage is due to be upped now, so I do notice some effectiveness going down, but this is normal."

Trying2bcontent November 18, 2016

"So I'm on day 4 of 25mg of Zoloft..... I will titrate up to 50 mg at day 7.... I have to say, I feel amazing. Is it normal for it to work this quickly. I'm taking it for anxiety. Mild side effects, can tell something is going on in my head. Feel a little tired or foggy about an hour after I take it, but otherwise I feel good. I understand the full effects won't take hold for a while.... will it actually make me feel better that I already do?? I seriously cannot believe I feel it this fast. Any thought are welcome."

Hockeymom33 November 16, 2016

"I literally developed anxiety and intrusive thoughts over night. I kept telling myself that it was a phase, i was stressed, it will pass, 11 months later this was not the case.I tried all the natural remedies there are, and had no permeant relief. I felt so alone, as i hated telling the people i love how i was feeling inside, as it was so unlike me. I finally started taking Sertaline, and have been on it for 5 weeks now, the first 4 weeks I saw a MASSIVE improvement, it was such a relief, and i experienced no side affects, apart from slight difficulty reaching orgasm, im feeling my anxiety creep back in however, not sure if its just a blip or if i should put up my dose from 50mg. Im going to speak to my doctor but has anybody else had this?"

zo123 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 15, 2016

"On sertraline for 17 days. Horrible nausea, sickness, anxiety with mind racing, and trembling. Please please tell me this is normal? It's crushing me with daily life."

Bex33 November 14, 2016

"Extreme anxiety and feelings of fear following 50 mg dose of sertraline, taken for 5 days only. I stopped due to persistent nausea, retching and diarrhoea, leaving me unable to eat or function. Now on Prozac which has less severe gastric effects"

Daisylooby (taken for less than 1 month) November 10, 2016

"I have been through a very traumatic abusive marriage for 6 years and finally got away from the abuse. I took Zoloft a few years ago during the marriage due to intense panic attacks. But after the divorce I got off of it thinking I didn't need it anymore. Well a couple months ago I felt my anxiety creeping back and have several panic attacks. I went to my doctor and he stated me on 50mg of Zoloft for the anxiety. I was hoping it would be an immediate relief but then remembered it takes at least two weeks to start making you feel better. Today, it will be 8 days that I have been on it. Take it every night before I go to bed. Doctor prescribed me low dose of Xanax to prevent panic attacks until Zoloft kicks in. day 8, I'm finally feeling better"

SuchIsLife (taken for less than 1 month) November 9, 2016

"I was on Wellbutrin for three years, my anxiety and panic started getting worse. The doctor took me off wellbutrin and put me on 25mg of zoloft for the first two weeks, now I'm on 50mg a day. It seems to be working!! Im on my third week now and the anxiety is getting better and better daily. I am pleased with it so far :) Anxiety and panic attacls is no way to live, I never knew how someone would want to take their own life until I experienced it first hand. Thank God for mediacation!"

dnell November 7, 2016

"I have been taking Sertraline for the last 12 weeks (5 weeks at 25 MG and 7 weeks at 50MG). I have given Sertraline 10 out of 10 because since week 7 I was feeling perfect - back to my old self. however over the last couple of days I have felt my anxiety creeping back in and had my first adrenaline surge in 6 weeks during the night last night. I am now terrified my anxiety is returning like it was before and don't know what to do. Has anyone else experienced a "blip" at this stage and how long did it last? I don't really want to increase my dose but don't want to return to the way things were. I was feeling so happy and back to my old self for 4 weeks and now am feeling so disappointed. Can anyone give me some positive advice please?"

LESLEY50 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 2, 2016

"Before I started this medication I couldn't get out bed. I couldn't look at people without feeling nervous and sick. I had intrusive thoughts that made me ill to the point I couldn't get out bed. I lost 3 stone and was in a dark place. I was put on this medication at 50mg for 2 weeks, the first week was okay, except I had the shakes, don't ask me why. After the first 2 weeks, I was put on to 100mg. And I can honestly say it's helped me so much. It changed me. I know people say you shouldn't rely on medication but if you need it, then you should take it. I still have bad moments but they only last 10 minutes maximum per day. Whereas before I had the worst anxiety every single minute even when I slept (which was barely ever) really good meds"

Lou473910474 October 27, 2016