User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline has an average rating of 7.2 out of 10 from a total of 628 ratings for the treatment of Anxiety and Stress. 61% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 18% reported a negative effect.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.2/10 average rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline

Fearisachoice · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 26, 2020

“I would literally re read the high rated reviews of sertraline every day. I had them saved on my phone. Reading them whilst I cried, thoughts racing, heart hammering, I was depending on people experiences for my life. Sertraline is not easy initially. It has literally saved my life. My brain is quiet. I haven't had any panic attacks. I am so so so happy and positive and amazed at what this tablet can do. For you who is going through the tough bits- please have hope that it is worth it. STICK WITH IT. Because I was in the same position as you. I was SO worried the tablets were not working, but actually they were. You are so brave and strong. I know it doesn't feel like it but you are. Don't give up because believe me whilst I write this I can remember myself thinking that I was going to. You are going to be OK. It is all normal to feel worse before you feel better. So unbelievably better. I can now be a friend, work colleague, daughter, wife and dog mum. Sertraline is incredible. A true life saver.”

Patricia April 10, 2021

“Read this! I have had anxiety my whole life But then I had my first baby and it all escalated. I couldn’t sleep. I could take a big dose of oxazepam and still be awake. After 14 days of constant fear and panic attacks I said: I am not ok. I needed to go away from the baby. So I went to my mom. I started sertraline and the first 5 weeks were terrible. I could only lay in bed with a HR of 100/m, feeling anxious and didn't eat for 2 weeks. After 5 Weeks I wanted to stop because I had never felt so horrible in my life. 2 days later it happened. I woke up and I didn’t feel that bad anymore. And the next day again. And so on. January was the worst month of my life, by far, but now everything is different. I can enjoy my daughter and sertraline did that. So again, for whatever reason you are here, sometimes we cannot do this on our own. You are not weak to start medication. And please, continue the first few weeks. They are horrible. But come back and read this story again. Trust the process.”

Kristine June 6, 2020

“SERTRALINE WORKS!!!! I have been on the zoloft for about 2 weeks now like the doctor said. At the beginning it was horrible. Really bad anxiety, depression. Suicidal thoughts got more worse. I felt so hopeless. I didn't want to get out of bed. My stomach hurt and I stopped eating. I lost around 15 pounds and issues sleeping. I get really tired and drowsy and take a nap in the morning. Now all the side effects are gone. The next week I felt really calm. Felt like I had no emotion. It was hard. It was more depression than anxiety. But now it's been 2 weeks and I'm doing fun things and laughing and smiling again. It's like my anxiety is gone. It's great. I still get like a moment of it but it's not all day like it was before. This really works and it's rough at the beginning but it will pay off at the end! You got this!”

Sue · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 20, 2021

“I have been on Sertraline for 5 weeks now and was so cautious as I have had maybe 3 SSRI s in the past. I've had nearly every side effect , nausea, headaches, panic attacks, hot sweats, hangover feelings and was so worried it wouldn't get better. I have anxiety and pure O and in week 5 I can honestly say my negative thoughts have been quietened down significantly.I've never taken any other medications that has ever done this, it's unbelievable. My mind is so calm I feel like a different person for the first time in years. Please don't be disheartened by the worsening symptoms in first 4/5 weeks it does get better, stick with it. Only thing I'd say my emotions are a bit deadened too but much better than Searing anxiety and negative thinking. Also remember there is always hope, get all the help you can and I hope sertraline helps you too.”

Youngmale May 11, 2021

“I have been taking sertraline now for around 9 weeks to treat anxiety I've struggled with for a few years. I started on 50mg and the first week was very tough - you really do get worse before you get better. But do stick with it as it will get better. At around week 2 I noticed some benefit, but into week 3 I felt back to how I was feeling before, this continued on a good week, bad week rotation until about week 8. At 8 weeks I made the decision to go up to 100mg, best decision I have made in a long time. No noticeable side effects for increasing the dose and within a couple of days I was feeling considerably better. If you are struggling still on the 50mg dose, definitely try going up as it made a huge difference to me. I haven't felt this good in a long time - if you are reading this unsure whether to go on the medication, I would say go for it, the only regret I have is that I didn't make this decision sooner. Good luck all you will get yourself feeling better!”

Frank · Taken for less than 1 month July 6, 2021

“I started Sertraline at 25mg 3 weeks ago. I've had every side effect. I was on the verge of quitting every day. Nausea, tremors, uncontrolled anxiety, sweats, no sleep. This website kept me going. If you have nausea and related symptoms you must eat if you want to survive this period. I ate my first full meal in weeks yesterday. I slept a full night. My mind is not racing today. Maybe I am over the nightmare stage . So God help me and help you all. Fight.”

Anonymous March 1, 2020

“I have had anxiety issues my whole life but I was able to keep it at bay most times. Before quitting my job I had a particularly debilitating episode of intense anxiety and panic attacks. I was not able to eat or sleep. After about a month I decided to seek help and was put on 50mg sertaline and beta blockers. I didn't have any side effects apart from difficulty falling asleep. The beta blockers kept the panic attacks away but my anxiety got only slightly better after 2 months. The effect was minor and I was disappointed. I decided to stick to it anyway and finally saw an effect after 3 months. After 3 and a half months not only is my anxiety gone but I am able to deal beautifully with tough situations. For example, I have never thought one could be as relaxed as I was during an interview. I was reading reviews on this website when I was desperate so I hope this helps someone. Probably good to mention that my appetite has increased a lot and I suddenly developed a sweet tooth.”

AK · Taken for less than 1 month October 13, 2020

“32 yr old female - I was prescribed sertraline 50mg for anxiety, depression.. Before taking it I was crying constantly. The day after taking it I already felt better and on day four now and feel like a new person. I recommend taking it at night. Don't let all the bad reviews scare you..just take it.”

harry February 14, 2020

“Hi All, I have been struggling with anxiety for over 3 months now. The doctor put me on sertraline for the first two weeks ohh m, it makes you really ill and I had every side effect that the medicine gives to you. I went back to the doctor and he said that with anxiety they will take 6 weeks to kick in. After two weeks things started to get a little better but still very anxious up to the 6th week. After 6 weeks I am very good. Please stick with it guys it will help you 100%. For some people it may take a little longer if they have a very bad anxiety or stress but in the end I think that it will definitely help you. Be strong because you are stronger than you think. I feel for everyone that has this issue but stick with the sertraline as it will help you 100%. god bless you all”

Derick100 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 9, 2020

“Sertraline has literally changed my life. I took months to start over fear of side effects but once I took a stand and made that jump it has changed my life. The first few weeks are hard ( headaches, fatigue, bad stomach, increased anxiety) but honestly push through it and when it kicks in it's worth it. I've found myself controlling my thoughts better, sleeping better and just overall better mood. I haven't felt this good in over 10 years after struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. I also recommend downloading the DARE app. Good luck warriors”

Annarina · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 14, 2021

“I had depression and panic attacks a year ago and started Citalopram but had a bad reaction. I avoided SSRIs after that and used books by Claire Weekes which got me well after about 3 months by passing through the panic. In December I overdid things and had a relapse but recovery was harder due to bad depression in January to March. I was a mental and physical wreck and could hardly walk to the car. I was desperate and started on Sertraline 25mg for one week and then 50mg for 8 weeks. The first few weeks were very hard for mind and body but reviews on this site kept me going. I’ve been on 50mg 2 months now and am happier than I’ve been in years. I can walk 4 miles a day and am back at work again. I can care for my grandkids and have peace and joy in my life. I would advise anyone struggling with the side effects to try hard to last at least 8 weeks. It took that long for me to truly feel like my old self again and I am SO glad I didn’t give up. God bless you all x”

Lana · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 10, 2021

“4 weeks ago I switched to setraline 50mg as my other medication stopped working I was on lexpro for 6 years which changed my life! I found sertraline has really helped with my anxiety/depression and I'm finding my daily living being a busy mam of 3, carer for my husband and a dog mam a lot more enjoyable. I am increasing today onto 100mg of sertraline as this increase is needed to suit me. I found the first 2 weeks starting sertraline heightened my anxiety and depression which xanax helped ease the heightened anxiety for the 2 weeks, but I held on and I am glad I did I hope this helps someone else.”

jimbob · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

“I sent a review 22nd September and thought I would give an up date. I'm still on 50 mg sertraline the 3rd week was bad and I felt as bad as before I started. I was thinking of giving up but instead rang my GP she advised me to keep on 50mg until it levelled off for another 2 weeks. I was reluctant but did as she said. After a couple of bad days it did level off and now I feel normal again. I've had a good few days and ready to up it to 75mg next week. Better sleep although dreams are weird to say the least. Glad I stuck at it. If your struggling - hang in there - it does get better but takes time. Give it at least 4 to 6 weeks you can do it. I'll update in a month. a.t.b. jimbob”

2468 February 13, 2020

“I’m 45 years old and have left my marriage experiencing anxiety. I have also experienced social anxiety, regardless of being a teacher and generally an outgoing person. After a discussion with my GP about sleep problems, she said I fit the criteria for depression. I hadn’t seen myself as depressed as I was able to enjoy life. After feeling desperate one too many times, I began the medication, reluctantly. I experienced about two weeks of shakiness, nausea, extreme tiredness, blurred vision, all of these symptoms were manageable for me as long as I had that time off work. I increased the dose gradually and took 6-8 weeks to feel the full effects. Every problem now seems surmountable, I feel confident, strong, more energised and inspired in life and I haven’t looked back. I am so grateful for that conversation with my GP. I’m writing this review for all those out there that can relate, and aren’t sure if they’re ‘bad enough’, only to find that they can benefit immensely.”

Riz February 18, 2020

“I started taking Sertraline 3 weeks ago for anxiety and panic. I’ve always been able to manage it, but it got to the point where it changed and I had no control. The first 2 weeks were horrific. I had every side effect going including exhaustion, increased anxiety, restlessness, tingling, headaches, dry heaving, shakes, nausea, increased HR and even ended up in ER for chest pain. I decided to stick with it to see what happened. From day 17 the side effects improved and I felt my energy increase. I also have hypothyroidism so an increase in energy and clarity is really helpful! I’m hopeful that it may improve even more. I haven’t had any panic attacks since the first few days now and my HR has also reduced. The only thing I’ve found is that I’ve had a tickly throat and a deep dry cough triggered by it. Has anyone else experienced this? Good luck to all of you reading this, it’s so hard living with these feelings but we can all find a way through x”

Shailene25 · Taken for less than 1 month June 18, 2021

“I started sertraline 50mg 6 days ago and feel horrible, panic attacks, anxiety is horrible. Nausea and all I want to do is to be in bed. I continue reading the forum to give time for the medication to work but I really can’t take this feeling any longer. I’m taking it in the morning and was thinking of switching to pm but I’m afraid to get this horrible feeling in the middle of the night”

Savedbygrace1070 · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 12, 2020

“I have been on Zoloft for 15 years however I started getting anxiety when I had to get a CT scan to make sure my cancer was gone. I guess the worry of the results. Then a week after that my close friend passed, and then had a work situation which became stressful. I talked to my dr and she upped my dose from 50 to 75mg for the next four weeks I thought I was going crazy. I had hot flashes and heavy head syndrome I also had the sweats with headaches and some nausea. Reading these reviews helped me so much. I can honestly say I have been feeling wonderful. It has taken 4 weeks and 3 days and it’s like night and day. Stick with it. It does get better. I hope I continue feeling this way ! God bless you all. Ans remember I went through it too.”

Jayne · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 21, 2020

“Hi all..I’m on week 5 of sertraline 50mg and I think I’ve had every side effect which has been horrendous - but most disappeared after 2 weeks. I still have dreadful morning anxiety, a cough that comes and goes and ringing in my ear but all manageable. That’s the negative part....On a positive note I haven’t had a panic attack since starting this medication and my mood swings are loads better I hear myself laugh more, I’m keeping everything crossed that I will see more improvement with the anxiety. I have never suffered with anything like this till 7 months ago and I refused medication thinking it will pass (it don’t) If you can get passed the first few weeks you will start seeing positive changes. I still have a few bad days but nothing like it was without the medication..good luck all starting”

Franklin · Taken for less than 1 month November 21, 2019

“Like several people I've read about, I was very anti-medication for my mental health and have resisted taking anything to help with anxiety and depression for many years. About a month ago my doctor suggested Sertraline and I said I'd think about it. Anyway, said I'd give it a try. I am lost for words to describe how much better I'm feeling. After just two weeks, I feel I'm back to my real self. It's as if the nagging voice in the background has been silenced and that a great weight has been lifted from me. Every aspect of life is better - concentration, body aches and pains, clarity, sleep and most of all no constant worrying about every little thing. Can honestly say it's the best decision I've made in a long time. Best wishes to all.”

Jessie · Taken for less than 1 month March 30, 2021

“Hi I have been been battling anxiety for about 6 years. I suffer with really bad intrusive thoughts. I’ve taken Zoloft (sertraline ) in the past and it really works I started to feel the normal me again no intrusive thoughts anymore. I decided to stop taking it and what happen 1 year later and 3 months my anxiety came back and my thoughts too. So I am back on Zoloft. I am on 50mg. I’ve been taking it for 1 week and half already I am again experiencing side effects like anxiety spiking, sweating, insomnia and upset stomach but it only last for a couple of days. I have experienced the side effects before when I first took Zoloft.. I just hope this review helps people that are going through the same situation that I am going through. What I do recommend is to stick with the Zoloft the fist days it feels like a nightmare but then one day you will wake up and no more anxiety and intrusive thoughts..:)”

SJREED · Taken for 1 to 2 years January 1, 2021

“After finding my partner and father of our kids dead when I woke up on my birthday, I had a breakdown and just couldn't cope. I could not motivate myself to do anything, just wanted to sleep. Sertraline saved me. I've been on them 1 year and they stopped me feeling screwed up on 50mg but within a month I was on 200mg which suits me. I feel relaxed and I don't stress at all. As long as my boys are ok and we have a home then I'm happy. I was suicidal a year ago, laid in bed plotting my suicide. I cannot recommend them enough.”

Zubzub · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 31, 2020

“What can I say... I was initially on sertraline for 3 years and I felt the best I’d felt in a long time so I decided to slowly come off. I came off them and depression hit me hard last week so I was restarted on them. My depression and anxiety are horrifically worse then before I started the medications but past experiences and the reviews on here remind me that the first 2 weeks are horrific, then things pick up. Long term, these are fabulous & I cannot wait till I’m back to that feeling because my days at the moment are a constant struggle of tears and anxiety. But I know, I will get there.”

Healthanxiety88 · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2020

“I started 25mg sertraline at the end of June 2020. I was depressed as well as anxious. I used to feel like life was pointless as we all die anyway and although I wasn’t suicidal I didn’t want to continue living this way. First few days I had an upset stomach and was waking up at random times through the night but this quickly went. I increased my dose to 50mg which I am on now. My main side effects are vivid dreams and lack of sex drive. I still experience anxiety every so often but it’s much better and easier to get over. I am considering increasing my dosage to 100mg to see if it helps with this. I am far less on edge and jumpy, I feel like I used to be on constant high alert and that’s definitely reduced. My depression, I would say, is completely gone. I feel happy again and excited for the future which I thought was impossible. I no longer think that life is pointless. I wouldn’t have thought that medication could help with these thoughts but it definitely has.”

Richard · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 11, 2019

“I remember reading all the reviews on this site in hope and desperation of feeling better. My anxiety was through the roof, the main problem was not being able to sleep waking up in sweats and not being able to stay asleep through the night. The sleep deprivation was feeding my anxiety, I didn't know what was happening to me as I never had anything like this before. I am going to be honest in my review and let any one know who is going to take Sertraline the first few days were awful - I was getting suicidal thoughts and was very worried but after the third day it subsided along with any other side effects. I did appreciate my appetite being suppressed as I did need to lose some weight. If you stick with it after 2-3 weeks my anxiety eased and now I am two months in I feel about 99% me. I would also suggest having therapy as this helped me and have someone with you those first days when it can get bad. To anyone who is suffering at the moment please give this a try. Very best wishes Richard”

soraya · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 2, 2020

“My son worried constantly about having cancer. He had these thoughts for over 2 years. I hated to see him like this. Always crying , frightened. He smoked so it made the health anxiety much worse. He was put on sertriline. He was very ill for 4 weeks. Much worse than before he started taking it. But now he doesn't talk about it and is now happier. I can't believe it. How its changed my 26 yr old sons life. he still has autism he always will, but he is so much happier, and the anxieties have 90 percent gone. thank you sertraline. You are a magic pill. mother of luke”