User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I attempted staying on sertraline 3 times before I could handle it. The first time I took it in the morning. Bad choice. I was in a fog, my thought process was extremely slow and was paranoid that those I interacted with might notice the slow thought process. You get a kind of headache as if you were injected with a numbing shot in the head. Not like anything I've felt before. I had to give it a third shot after an embarrassing public anxiety attack. I never wanted to experience that again so stood my ground through side effects after reading reviews. So far I've noticed less foggy side affects. Headaches seem to come around in the evening, but are manageable. I'm a lot more relaxed. Moods are stable and positive. Anxiety is under control."

Anciety controlled June 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started taking sertraline a month ago. So far it has worked great. I no longer feel the way I use to. I use to be on edge, get overwhelmed, irritated easily, constantly worried. Somedays I still get anxiety nothing compared to how it use to be. I feel like the old me, I too was skeptical about starting it but I knew I couldn't go on feeling the way I did it was really taking a toll on me. I am so glad I started it. I started with 25mg and am now on 50mg no side effects for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was prescribed sertraline for severe anxiety nearly 3 weeks ago. The first 2 weeks were awful, felt so down and even more anxious, one day I felt ok, then the next horrific. I was on 50mg then upped to 100mg after 2 weeks. After 3 days of being on 100mg, I suddenly feel a lot better. I've gone two days without no anxiety and generally feel a lot happier. No side effects apart from minor head aches. It's been so up & down but I'd recommend hanging in there until it settles :-)"

Ynfvjkmkmbf (taken for less than 1 month) June 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've struggled with anxiety and depression for a long time. By the time I started on sertraline, I felt I was already pretty good at dealing with the depression side of things without medication. This drug made me getting up in the mornings easier. I felt less "groggy" than usual when I was on it. Other people noticed that I seemed a bit more positive. The downsides are, that I'd wake up in a bad mood: feeling like I hadn't slept enough or that I'd dreamed too much, and It didn't really make any noticeable difference to my anxiety."

Kinsie (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi just thought I would share my experience with you all,I too have searched the Internet for reviews on sertraline and was so nervous about taking it...I've tried 2 times and failed but 3rd time lucky! Been on them 1 week started taken mine right before bed in the hope of sleeping through most of the side affects! Which has worked :) feeling lots better in myself my anxiety has been pushed at bay more than before, I know I've got a long way yet till this fully works but so far so good! Don't be worried about giving sertraline a go I know how scary it feels to have to take medicine that your unsure of but it's worth a try I'm on 25mg as 50mg was to strong...wish me luck and hopefully this will help you in deciding the best route :)"

MrsBmc June 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've Been on sertraline for about 4 year. I've tried 3 times to get off it - it's hell. I feel like I'm dying. I need to get off. I don't care what I need to do . I'm never doing this again."

Help1977 June 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on Zoloft after suffering from anxiety for about 2 years. I had irrational fears about my health (heart attack, brain tumor, etc.) even though I am only 24 years old and healthy, and I found that anything out of my ordinary routine caused anxiety. I started on Zoloft at 25mg with a plan to increase my dose to 50mg after 1 month. I was a little dizzy the first week on the medicine, but since then have noticed no side effects. I noticed my anxiety starting to disappear after about 3 weeks, and I decided I didn't need to increase my dose. Still on 25mg per day 6 months later, and it has changed my life. I was skeptical of medication to begin with but highly recommend this, it really works!!"

dan0089 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"After 10 days on Setraline, I was a walking zombie & I felt like there was no hope. It had worsened everything x100. My unpleasant side effects (increased anxiety, dry mouth, dry eyes, dizziness, trembling, achy jaw, and decreased appetite) have finally settled & I can honestly say I feel much calmer & no longer have some of the awful/paranoid thoughts I used to have. I still have days where anxiety will try creeping up on me but it goes as quickly as it comes. I don't feel like it has worked absolute wonders yet but then my family/friends &boyfriend have said they feel like they have got the "old me" back & when I laugh now - it's a real laugh. The first 2 weeks are really hard but hang on in there. I'm glad I didn't give up early on!"

lt6 (taken for less than 1 month) May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Asking for help. My daughter is 15 and on sertraline. She was at 50 mg and doing so well we decided to decrease it 25mg. The panic attacks and severe anxiety is now keeping her from things she used to Iove. Should we go back to 50 mg is this because of the decrease? So afraid I've made a big mistake"

Anonymous May 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I got prescribed in sertraline 25mg in May 2017, and only I've been taken for a week now . This medication ease my worries and stable my mood but every time I take I feel pain in my chest or collarbone also headache and dizziness. Yesterday I went the 2 minutes walk and I was feeling dizziness and not stable on my feet. I was also more anxious and afraid and faint and worried about passing out. The first few days I got headache that's very strange, not the headache I normally get, but different one and it went away after. Also I was feeling strangle sensation yesterday in my chest and my neck. This morning I woke up strange my both eyes were blurry for just a few seconds and then it went away very quickly. Please tell me if anybody experience blurry vision .thanks"

Kaluuun (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This medication saved my life I suffered with severe anxiety and panic attacks. I became really down because it had taken over my life and it was a daily struggle. After two days the medication stopped my panic attacks but also made me very tired and zombie like I didn't want to do much. However after about 2 weeks this stopped and I got better I improved each week. After a month I went back to work and now I am 6 months down the line and pretty much back to the old me anxiety free ❤️ I know this medication effects everyone differently but for me it changed my life all for the better. Just give this medication a chance because it might be horrible at first but there is a light a the end of the tunnel guys. I hope this can give some faith."

Jackzoloft May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Well I would say this is quite tough on the first week. But do keep using it as it helps . The only downside was it gave me the runs!!! So make sure you make it to the nearest loo !"

wicks109 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having suffered with severe depression & anxiety most of my life, I finally decided to get some help (9 years ago). I was given a string of different tablets to try, persevered with each of them but they didn't suit me. I was put on sertraline. After an initial adjustment period, it's been fantastic. The only down side is that I can rarely climax, but that's a small price to pay to be normal(ish). It extremely noticeable how good the tablets are when I accidentally forgot to order my prescription & have a week without them. By the end of the week I'm a complete, suicidal wreck! I'm going through a rough path & have just doubled my dose. I'm currently experiencing some awful side effects. But I will stick with it as I know it'll be worth it."

I thought I might be insane (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on zoloft 50 mg for over 15 years . Two months ago I brilliantly decided to wean off by taking half pill every other day till done. About two months have gone by and I had to go to Dr's and get back on 50 mg daily.I started on 25 mg for one week then up to 50mg daily. This is the second day back on it so a total of 50 mg. Today has been horrible I had to leave work. My legs are weak I'm panicky mouth dry as hell zero appetite. I NEVER should have stopped I just don't remember feeling like this when I first started all those years ago. I just want to get right and stay right !!!! good luck to all"

south jersey April 29, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Having suffered with hypochondria, anxiety and depression for years I was at my wits end when I decided to try Sertraline. I can honestly say they have given me my life back. I've NEVER, even as a child felt this calm and happy before. To anyone that's suffering I'd say give them a try. Best thing I've ever done."

Loggter April 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I was originally worried about taking sertraline as my friend had been taking them and suffered really bad side effects. The first few days were rough, I felt very tired, sick and dizzy, much like a bad hangover. But over time I have found sertraline to be really helpful. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night having a panic attack, and when I think about the stresses in my life I no longer obsess and worry over them. I'm currently on 150mg and they do make me very sleepy after the first few hours of taking them so I find that for me it is best to take them before bed! Don't be scared to try this medication! If you do have any side effects at first don't be put off, it will get better!!"

Clo95 April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have never felt normal all my life I have suffered problems with stress (frustration) depression anxiety been prescribed prozac no effect citalopram no effect spent most of my life self medicating with alcohol & drugs which have caused other problems in my life. Recently my doctor prescribed sertraline 100mg after a few weeks the difference was nothing short of transformational for the fist time I feel normal wish they could have given this to me at about when I was 12. Side affects for me is I no longer like beer! and for the first time I am eating healthy a true revelation"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"First week was hell, I was about to give up. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud and found it hard to fall back asleep once I awoke. I soon realised if I did not drink any alcohol with the drug I slept to well. My mood is better and I 100% less anxious than before. I only take 25mg as I found 50mg too much. I have been on this now for 5 months and wish I had taken it years ago. Only side effect I do not enjoy is slight weight gain. 6lbs so far but it is worth it."

Homesafe (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been taking sertraline for many years. It was prescribed to relieve my levels of anxiety. Considerably, it helped, however due to the fact that I have been taking for so many years, my dr decided to increase the dosage to 200mg and presently he prescribed oxcarbazepine 150mg. Although sertraline helps me to control my anxiety, an additional increment was needed. While I don't take sertraline can feel the side effects such as dizziness and nausea. It is a good psychotropic medication, however after a while it seems that mg has to be increased. Hoping this would help me to decrease my anxiety and moderate depression."

LAlberti April 19, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My Dr. prescribed sertraline to manage my OCD and anxiety. I'm a 35 y/o grad student with test anxiety and my OCD has been getting worse over the years. The first day I felt slightly better but the medication made me yawn a lot. After talking it I pulled an all-nighter to study for an exam. After the exam I figured I would go home and sleep but as tired as I was, I couldn't fall asleep. On night two I tossed and turned all night. On day three my skin felt too tight and I felt like I needed to stretch out my jaw and neck all day. On night three I couldn't fall asleep at all and had a weird experience like my body was awake but I couldn't move or yell for help. It was horrible. After I told my dr. she took me off of it."

Ali glycine max April 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for 7 days. I had severe anxiety, which has completely gone, although I feel slightly sad."

Clare12244 April 17, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"My doctor started me out on 25 mg a day for a week, then 50mg a day after that. The first 3 weeks were not good-- symptoms became somewhat worse. However I had read enough reviews to understand that I need to stick with it. After the 4th week I could tell I was not nearly as anxious and worrisome but still didn't feel 100%. My doc upped the dosage to 100mg a day and it's the perfect dose for me. Stay with this drug! It has really helped me! At first I had diarrhea for a few days, but that's gone. I yawn even when I'm not tired and catch myself clenching my jaws but I will tolerate that to feel like myself again. Oh, I also had mild depression, which this drug also helped. Hope this helps someone else."

Waybetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started at 25mg for a week. I had 2 good days and the other days were from my normal anxiety. I then went up to 50mg and felt not too bad except for days 6 and 7. Had some minor sleep problems but managed to get through. I jumped to 75mg three days ago and now I'm feeling like garbage. My anxiety shot up. I feel depressed. I feel weird. I slept only 3.5 hours the last two nights. My stomach feels empty but I did have breakfast and I'm not hungry. I know I need to give it at least a week or two on the higher dosage but I'm so disappointed and discouraged. I wish I can start feeling better."

PaulMartin16 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started taking 50mg about 16 weeks ago, although it's doing what it's supposed to I'm still nauseous at least twice a week, I take it in the morning which isn't great as by 2pm I feel very fatigued, also I've been told by close friends I'm not the same person. I'm more relaxed, nothing phases me anymore which isn't great, I've lost my edge, my identity but it has sorted my anxiety and depression and I no longer have suicidal thoughts so I guess it's a good thing."

Vincent1977 April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I started on 50mg. The day after my first tablet I felt super nauseous and broke out in a cold sweat and had to lie on the floor, that lasted a few minutes and I felt sick throughout that day. First few nights I struggled to sleep. These symptoms soon went away. I went up to 100mg. The only symptoms I have had throughout taking this medication is night sweats, pretty gross, and it's harder to climax. It took a few weeks, but after being on this medication for nearly a year I can honestly say I'm like a different person, more outgoing and carefree. I don't care what people think of me like I used to constantly. I'm happy in my own skin! I'm scared to come off this medication incase I go back to feeling terrible."

Loopy Lynds April 10, 2017