User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"You won't believe how much this drug has helped me in every way, honestly I have moved from a 2 in confidents to Sky High. I always think why I didn't took this earlier. I first heard about the drug from my sister (she is taking it and she is also a doctor). I really love it, I do a lot of presentations for my work and even my colleague are shocked how much I have changed in confidence and standing out in front of the groups etc. I honestly recommend this one, this drug changed my life. I would have never thought it would have this much impact."

HappyMan_ January 16, 2018

"Prescribed sertaline 3 weeks ago after extreme anxiety over the Christmas period, literally convinced myself I was dying. 3 weeks in and feel zombified, constant foggy head, head aches, short attention span, no sex drive and terrible night sweats. Anxiety has calmed but I don’t feel like me anymore. Hoping these side effects subside."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 12, 2018

"Like other SSRIs and SNRIs I took, no benefit for OCD, social or general anxiety. Side effect were sexual problems."

yearsofocd (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 7, 2018

"It worked well for 1 month but my mood went weigh down, even now I am constantly tired and not sleeping due to the tablets does. It does not help when I got work in the mornings even struggling to stay awake at work and my boss has noticed and none stop shakes of my hands."

cri (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 2, 2018

"I started taking sertraline last summer for anxiety and depression to start with it made me a lot worse and nearly gave in after 3 weeks however I stuck it out and felt my old self again. I felt more confident it saved my relationship too. After a few month came of them as I felt great however think came of then to soon so back on them again now hoping to feel better soon - they definitely do work."

girl that was happy (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 31, 2017

"I’ve been taken Zoloft 50mg an it makes my moods up an down I cry my body trembles, it makes my heart race, so I went to the ER and there the Doctor told me to stop and told me take Benadryl instead. It helps me when I was on a lower dosage it worked out fine no nightmares no shaking hands an now that I’m on this much I’m getting all these symptoms"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 30, 2017

"I started this medication because anxiety took over my life I was crying all the time anxious all the time thoughts just couldn't cope. I also worry about my health and I never wanted to go on an anti depressants, but I thought it was my only hope. When I took my 1st pill 50mg my anxiety went sky high - worse then how I've ever felt but subsided. I felt sick I couldn't eat much at all dreams were so vivid nightmares I got depressed as well never felt so down b4 taking these. I mean I cried a lot but they were just tears not the depression type of down. I was confused, I was scared of everything. I had trembled I had pains in my arms that lasted about 2 weeks which scared me so much. But I kept going on them and to be honest my physical anxiety did subside."

Stefnina December 29, 2017

"This medication helped me cope in a bad time of my life. I have been trying to ween myself off it over the last 12 months started 75mg dropped to 50mg tried to drop again and had terrible side effects. Stayed at 50mg for 5 months dropped 35mg for 1 month dropped to 25mg for 2 weeks then stopped. I had a terrible time with brain zaps dizziness nausea and feelings of depression again. I thought I’d need to go back on it it’s day 5 and it’s getting easier. If you want to stop do it slowly. Diet is super important. I craved sugar and salt all the time on this drug. Put on a lot of weight. I’m now having 5 meals a day which are measured and no sugar ,basmati rice and all green salads I feel so much better less hunger and I can see the light."

Denziel December 28, 2017

"Felt like this drug made my problems a whole lot worse. I had antidepressant-induced mania. I'm now in loads of debt lost my job with a mortgage. Turns out I'm bipolar! These tablets triggered a sweating problem that I've not been able to shift in two years"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 6, 2017

"I just started this medicine today I don’t know how it’s going to work I have been so scared to take a pill because of past experiences. I have been feeling like this for a long time. It started in about 2005 when stress level went sky high. I used to hold everything in and not talk about what I was going thru, always trying to make everybody happy and that as long they was happy I was good. I was a people pleaser and I was helping people and couldn’t say no to them and that just impacted me so much that I was hurt emotionally and broken. But now I am trying this medicine because I heard so much good report I want to feel good too, I want to feel alive and happy again"

Felipe13 December 4, 2017

"I wish it could have worked but this is poison... only took one pill but it made me nauseous for 24h. And I'm not talking about a small discomfort but actual pain, wishing I could puke but didn't. I spent one of the most awful night of my life. My stomach was really upset, with any kind of food or drinks. I won't take another pill ever."

Anna_2801 December 3, 2017

"Hi all , I've been giving sertraline 50mg and quetiapine 25mg for my anxiety . I'm at a stage of my life now where this is eating me up . I'm 31 and had these issues for about 5 years . They all started after my mum passed away , never suffered before her passing . Everyday I feel I'm going to die of a heart attack , I keep getting these pains in my chest but all the doctors say it's anxiety . The question is does anyone know what can help reduce my fears because this is effecting my relationship with my wife and my son ..... Many thanks to all who have taken time to read this"

Bruceearns November 23, 2017

"I am currently on day 2 of this medication at 25mg increasing to 50mg in a week due to suffering several panic attacks each day for the past month. I have always had them but would only happen once every few months whereas now it was got extremely bad. I constantly panic about dying all day and barely get any sleep. It has started to effect my life in lots of ways and I'm desperate to at least ease it a little so I can enjoy life. I am at the point where I will try anything. Reading all these comments has helped me feel better about trying this medication.I will post back when I have been on this longer. I have diazapam to help me the next two weeks while my body gets used to the sertraline. Had no major side effects yet, just a bit brain foggy."

natnat1995 November 7, 2017

"I am in my teens and started ZOLOFT when I started getting anxiety when I changed schools. It was getting bad and effecting my quality of life. I started on 25 mg but I was still getting panic attacks so I went up to 50mg with my doctors recommendation. I’m on approximately month 2 or 3 and feeling great! I feel euphoric at times and liking life again. It is the perfect drug for me."

analove (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 20, 2017

"First went on sertraline in January this year for panic, depression and anxiety. Absolutely freaked myself out with side effects, convinced I had it all. After two weeks things drastically improved and then life was good but stupidly I weened myself off in July and recently all the bad feelings came back. It’s day 7 now on 50mg and I’m still panicky and obsessed with joe j feel. I must admit though, that I do trust in these pills and can’t wait for them to kick in again"

Nikkimak (taken for less than 1 month) October 19, 2017

"I have suffered from anxiety since I was in my teens, I'm now in my 40's and have GAD. I first started taking this medicine and it gave me really bad diarrhea and I stopped taking it but it was definitely helping with the panic attacks, I didn't have them at all! I could feel one like it was about to come on but would go away just as quick. I stopped taking it because of the diarrhea and tried others like lexapro which didn't do anything at all for me. I was on 100mg sertraline and talked to my doctor about lowering my dosage to 25mg to start with so I don't experience the side effects so much, I'm up to 50mg now and it's working great."

lifetime anxiety (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 17, 2017

"Taken just one tablet for anxiety and depression and had to stop already, really thought these would help and was worried about starting them but realised I had to at least try. After a couple of hours of taking just the first tablet I've felt shaky (definitely WASNT my anxiety) , had a weird tingling sensation up and down my body, felt hot and cold, had a weird taste in my mouth? Stabbing cramps, light headed and numb, and have been constantly vomiting. Had to ring my doctor up who advised me not to continue taking any and told me it would be out of my system in 24 hours, really wouldn't have been able to handle these side effects any longer and it has put me off trying antidepressants again."

S587 (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2017

"I've been taking 50mg of Sertraline for a few months now. My anxiety tends to worsen in waves (crying randomly, constant stress, suicidal thoughts, insomnia, and panic attacks). Since I can go for weeks at a time managing fairly well on my own (aside from persistent self hating thoughts), I didn't think the medication was doing much of anything. I didn't notice any immediate changes or side effects. I am wondering now if I am having a worsening urge to self harm? It is worse at night and keeps me awake. I think it has to be due to the meds."

GGGGG1234 October 13, 2017

"Sertraline is the best thing to help anxiety I’ve suffered for 10 years without knowing I had anxiety I would buy all different kind of over the counter medication and Herman remedy’s and nothing worked thought I had IBS I didn’t, then I thought I had a brain tumour with all headaches and I didn’t. My anxiety and stress made me worry more about my health until I went doctors they prescribed sertraline. I’ve only been taking them a month and while the first 2 weeks was horrible while they got into my system I feel the best I’ve ever felt. I have more energy, less headaches, minimal worry about every day things. Sertraline is fantastic. I’m on 100mg and feel great. If anyone who has anxiety I strongly recommend that that try this medication"

Micko231085 October 8, 2017

"Where do I start! Ok so I like many I have had different degrees of anxiety my whole life. I changed jobs 2 years ago and my new boss and manager made my life very difficult. The anxiety was out of control and a horrid pattern as well as the unexpected attacks happened over and over. I struggle on for 2 years using beta blockers to hide my physical symptoms. I became so exhausted with it I just felt my life was over. I went to my doctors and they put me on this medication. Side effects for me where headaches, I couldn't eat and felt a little jittery but I can honestly say, I would choose that over the anxiety any day. It's changed my life. My advise for anyone suffering get help, don't feel ashamed it happens to the best of us."

Jayne987654 (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

"Been on sertaline for 2 months now. Didn't have any side effects but it did take a while to kick in. Really helps ease the stresses of life and helped me to feel less anxious in a new work environment. I'm so glad I'm getting back to being me and I can finally enjoy my life again."

Moodymarie (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 27, 2017

"Did nothing for me but get me sick and landed me in the E.R. .... terrible drug for me."

Jay1227 (taken for less than 1 month) September 21, 2017

"I have suffered from anxiety for most of my life. Over the years the stress of having a son, a demanding job made it worse. I thought my feelings were normal. Then about 4 years ago I started to feel angry all the time due to my stress and anxiety. I was prescribed prozac as I was told I was depressed. I refused to take the medication as I thought of the stigma. My racing thoughts, anxiety got worse. I finally recognized I needed help and took Zoloft. I can't believe what a difference it has made. I feel like my old self. Calm, loving and enjoying life again. It has made a huge difference in my marriage as I no longer feel so angry all the time."

BambinosMom September 16, 2017

"Am I the only one that feels nothing from this? I've tried many different antidepressants over the years and I don't feel any better but no worse."

June0 September 16, 2017

"Went on Sertraline about 20 months ago . Started on 50mg and gradually upped to 100mg. Had a few side effects to start with . Dizziness ( which I was getting with anxiety anyway) tiredness and nausea. Stuck with it and after a few weeks they passed. They were fantastic for me , really helped . Could feel the anxiety and anger but it seemed to go away or never really surface . Unfortunately I thought I was ok after a while and came off them without asking my doctor and the anxiety has come back so I'm starting again today pm 25mg . I hope they help as well as they did the first time"

Zozo36 September 15, 2017