User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"First time I got a panic attack was about 4 years ago, needless to say it was horrifying, took my about three months from one doctor to another to check heart condition, nerves, etc... after my maybe 10th visit to the ER (not knowing it's a panic attack) doctor suggested I should I should visit a psychiatric, who prescribed Escitalopram and Lorazepam, it took me a while before the drugs started acting up but fast forward one year later i'm feeling better. after than I relapsed and the same medication didn't work, so my doctor suggested to start taking Sertraline, it took me a couple of weeks before even remotely started to feel slightly better, side effects were horrible, but in 2 months I was back to my normal self. so, be strong, and wait"

Tomtanks (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 19, 2016

"Hi All, I started on 50mg sertraline and 100mg diazepam(sp), hated it I just felt spaced out all the time. stopped the Diazepam and went to 100mg sertraline, and it leveled my moods out, I would be the same Monday as Friday, but still not happy and joking as I usually am. I went to doctors today and he put me on 150mg sertraline, and 2mg diazepam as needed. yes sertraline does work, I had really bad stomach for about a month, now that's gone, I have had a few panic attacks but, they are less, I do struggle with my thought of line when I am talking, but stop rethink what I am saying then go again. I am a 46yr old male, head chef., started "

KWACKS July 8, 2016

"I promised myself when I was a wreck that I would post when I was myself again. Truth is these forums gave me hope when everything was hopeless and kept me going. I started on Sertraline 50 mg upped to 100 mg for severe anxiety that had been building up for a year. I focused on my anxiety all the time, life was not enjoyable.Word of advice-- if you are on Sertraline for anxiety you will feel worse beyond belief for a start!!! Please stick with it-- I never would have without forums. I felt much better after 6 weeks but has taken 11 to be me again. It is a slow process but the results are amazing. I needed a lot of time off work as I am in a surgical job-- don't feel guilty as I did . We have an illness like any illness. Don't ever lose hope"

Cassy from UK (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2016

"After struggling for what felt like years I decided to go to the doctors who referred me to a therapist, i felt like that was working and I was cleared by her. After a couple of months the stress of day to day life as well as studying in Sixth Form got too much for me and I felt like I had fallen into the same problem as before. I visited the doctors again and i got put on 50g sertraline, i have been on them for about 6 weeks now and i have never felt so low before. the side effects i have received are feeling depressed and suicidal thoughts, i have never felt this low before in my whole entire life."

Milly1998 June 25, 2016

"iv be on Sertraline 100mg for about 18 months for my anxiety they help me a lot but still have panic attcks or fell bad in big places and still have dark thoughts and if someone looks at me i think there out to get me then panic always think the worst thing is going to happen to me but not as bad as it was before taking Sertraline. the only side effects i got was head zaps witch fill fairs cool and wen i ran out of meds befor and couldnt get any over the weekend i was having real bad mood swings they also made me put on weight 1 was 10 stone 18 months ago now im over 13"

cagey13 June 18, 2016

"I have suffered for years from extreme anxiety, ocd, depression and stress; this has saved my life. I have only taken it for a month but I feel "normal" for the first time in my life. It also has helped me from withdrawing from adderall I was taking for ADHD symptoms, and I can actually focus better now than I could before on the ADD meds."

LaurenH2016 June 16, 2016

"I started sertraline three days ago 50mg for stress and depression i also take propranolol 30mg a day and iv just felt spaced out always need to sleep not really hungry feel sick constantly and cant really get out of bed my legs feel really weird like tingling feeling but i feel a lot calmer already like im on cloud 9 i was getting bad thoughts not just about hurting myself but other people and for the first time in ages iv felt abit normal just hope the side affects soon wear off and start feeling myself agen"

razo June 15, 2016

"I have terrible anxiety and occasional PTSD and panic attacks (which I also believe cause my ulcers and IBS). It got to be that I was so afraid of everything I'd get myself physically sick. I got the courage to tell my doctor and he prescribed Zoloft. I've been taking half a pill this week and have to go to a full pill next week. It's absolutely amazing, my thoughts don't linger on every little thing now, I don't worry at all or panic. I don't assume people are mad at me anymore, I can sleep at night, and I can eat without getting sick. The first few days were ROUGH. I got literally every listed side effect, but they cleared up as the week went on. If it's working for you, keep at it, the side effects will go away."

Buri (taken for less than 1 month) June 14, 2016

"I've been on Sertraline for 4 weeks now for PMDD, OCPD and anxiety. At first I actually felt really great. Even felt like it held off my PMDD symptoms until just a few days prior to my cycle. However could still feel the symptoms of my PMDD so I had my 4 wk chk up w my Psych. I asked to be increased to 100mg to which he agreed. However before I had a chance to pick up the new script - I noticed that the day I ended my cycle my PMDD symptoms hadn't subside like they usually do. I feel spaced out am having anxiety worse than before, feel irritable, dizzy and am even experiencing a little bit of depression which was never a symptom I suffered from prior. I am afraid to up the meds for fear of these side effects? getting worse."

Stillhopeful2 June 14, 2016

"hey ive just started sertraline 4 days ago doctor put me on 60mg and at moment i feel jumpy,tired,and very sickley,but i hope these feelings go away am starting to sweat i feel anxiety setting in as well,i do suffer from bad anxiety anyway but on othr medication to help that.so am hoping this will settle down i am sleepin okay,but waking up earlier than normal.i think i might give it time to settle in am hopein these are some side effects am having:)"

Rizzoo2 June 10, 2016

"No side affects for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2016

"I suffer from PTSD from my military experiences. I am in my early 40's female. I to find that 25 mg works for me. Any thing more and I have several side effects. Seriously, I am told it isn't much. it seems to be just enough. Without it I am grumpy and a bit mean, negative in my head and really anxious around crowds. With it I am normal, nice, funny, easy going, and my head is still clear because of the low dose."

Jen2016 May 7, 2016

"After breaking up with my high school sweetheart, I would have panic attacks that would violently wake me up at night. I knew I had a problem but it wasn't depression (later I realized anxiety) since I was happy to start over in college. My stress of attending school even as a commuter laid heavy on my mind as well. I went to my doctor, crying that I did not know what was wrong. After 3 years, I still remain on Zoloft/Sertraline at 25mg. I've always been told it's not a lot but it still really helps me. I rarely get panic attacks anymore, and if I do, I don't throw up or feel dizzy. I am happy that I haven't had any side effects or problems involving this medication."

Melissa S. April 28, 2016

"Seretine saved my life .. I'm now on 150mg And feeling fine"

alion_66 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 15, 2016

"Out of nowhere I got extremely depressed and had horrible anxiety! I was horrified.. I even had to quit my job. I went to the doctor so many times, I just knew something was horribly wrong. I had blood work done, urine tests, Ct scan on my stomach and MRI on my brain.. After ALL of that came back normal..I knew it was anxiety/depression. I tried celexa 20 at first but it made me so weak I quit taking it.. the doctor switched me to Zoloft and it gave me my life back. It took about 4 weeks to fully feel like myself again. I want you to know if you're reading this searching for answers..I was once you and I turned to these forums to help me. The Zoloft made me nauseous but it goes away, the side effects go away. HANG IN THERE. I'm on 25mg."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2016

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This drug has been amazing for me! I went from not being able to think clearly and rationally after a very abusive marriage and stressor of special needs children to being a calm supportive single mother. I used to avoid cleaning or spending time with my kids because I was so in stress survival mode that I could not handle the little things. The side effects for me are near to nothing and I think it even helps my metabolism. I was really reluctant to take a drug but I am happy I listened to older experienced people and my therapist. Really has helped so much. I still hate the idea that I need it. Yet, I am so happy that I have it available to me. I don't have a foggy brain and I sleep really well. I used to even avoid sleeping."

Onyx23 April 11, 2016

"I've suffered from anxiety my whole life. It was exacerbated 11years ago when I gave birth to my daughter at 17. I've tried so many different medications with horrible side effects. I'm diagnosed with PTSD and hypervigilance so no side effect, no matter how minuscule, slipped by me. During my last bad episode of depression/anxiety, I reluctantly agreed to try sertraline. My dr started the lowest dose possible, 25mg (lower than she had ever prescribed) in the hopes it would ease my anxiety about side effects. I'm now on 75mg a day and so happy I finally found the medication that works for me! My only side effect is night sweats and vivid dreams. Don't give up! Sertraline is med #4 I've tried and the first one that really worked for me."

Colbym April 11, 2016

"Awful stuff. Made me feel really bad. Do not recommend it. I felt every bad side effect and did not benefit from it one bit. Am much happier not taking it."

Rewt April 9, 2016

"I've been on Sertraline since march 8, I experienced horrible side effects including severe panic attacks and chronic anxiety the first couple of weeks. Right now it seem's to have stabilised my mood and functioning. I'm no longer lying and bed and feeling like i'm dying lol. I'm going to continue taking this medication :-)."

Anonymous March 26, 2016

"My family Doc put me on sertraline due to anxiety. For some unknown reason, I developed driving anxiety. I also had PSD. Initially, it was suppose to be a 9mos treatment. 25mg for 3 mos. After the 3mos, the dose was increased to 50mg. It worked great in reference to my PSD but there was only a 10% improvement on my driving anxiety. Right before the 9mos, I had some difficult family situations where I ended up self increasing the dose to 100mg. Eventually, i saw my Doctor in my nxt folllow up and he wasnt happy with me for increasing the dose...but ended up on prescribing the dose at 100mg. Now I have been on sertraline for 2 years and a few months and I feel that my driving anxiety is coming back and even worse."

Tx March 24, 2016

"Okay, so first of all if you decide to take this medication. Make sure to set a routine time each day to take it it works best that way. Also it takes awhile to fully kick in, for me about after 4 complete months of not missing a 50mg dose I started to feel the good effects from it. Seriously! you have to continually take it on a scheduled time to feel the good effects from the meds. After dealing with stress and anxiety after a few bad years I finally decided I needed some type of medication.After trying everything else medication was my last resort but man I wish I strarted it sooner! I'm about 6 months in on a 50mg dose and I'm starting to feel alive again. Enjoying things I used to take joy in but lost it when my depression hit."

Seraltraline (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 20, 2016

"Absolutely amazing drug. Side effects can be a bit crap for the first few weeks. Always takes a good 4 to 5 weeks to kick in. Stick with it."

'TIM;;;;;;; March 19, 2016

"Sertraline saved my education and my life. I had the side effects of mild dizziness for 3 days, decreased appetite for 3 weeks, and decreased sex drive for 3 weeks. Both came back though. I'm in my final year of high school, and I have struggled so much for the past 4 years due to severe panic disorder and MDD. I came very close to completely dropping out and being uncontrollably agoraphobic. I cried almost daily, things hit me harder than they did other people, my dad was at a loss. I was a straight A student until my severe mental illness almost ruined me. Sertraline 50mg has helped me learn to cope. I haven't missed a day of school due to anxiety this year, no unexpected full-blown panic attacks, I barely ever cry. I'm stronger."

Cnicholls998 March 5, 2016

"At first I lost a little weight probably from the nausea in the beginning. Yes, It did seem to help my anxiety. But, as time went on I steadily gained 20lbs in the 9 months I was on this. I was always a healthy weight for my height. Now I am chunky. I tapered off slowly with my doctor's help. I've been off sertraline for 3 months. I have exercised daily, 30-45 min runs 5-7 days a week, I have upped my protein and cut calories, my weight has not budged. There is no doubt in my mind that this AD destroyed my metabolism. I'm not giving up and will continue to diet and exercise. I would never recommend this ssri to anyone unless they are fine with getting fat. I wish my dr had advised me of this. :("

Tbone1812 February 18, 2016

"I have suffered with anxiety and severe depression for years. I had tried group therapy as well as one on one sessions with a psychiatrist but it was not much help. I would sit at a meeting or in a class and look normal but I would be going crazy inside with my thoughts racing out of control, and this would last nonstop for days. It also made social situations extremely difficult. My doc put me on Sertraline first at 25m and upped it to 50m after a month. Except for a bit of nausea I had almost no side effects and after about three weeks I started to notice some subtle changes. I've been on it going on four months now and I feel like a new person! I'm much more in control and my days now are calm and much happier. If u can relate plz try it"

Beach lover (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2016

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next