User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I have been reading reviews for days on many different meds for anxiety. I was put on Effexor and I read reviews and possible side effects and I became too afraid to take it. So I recently spoke to a friend who has been on Zoloft for 2 months and has great results. So today I'm starting 25mg and bumping it up to 50mg in a week. For years I have suffered with anxiety. But over the last couple months I have had 2 panic attacks, 1 of them actually put me in the hospital. The one I had last night I was able to talk myself out of it after about an hour. Now I feel like I'm always waiting for it to happen again. Which causes anxiety. I'm very afraid of taking meds in fear of side affects. But after last night I'm just gonna do it."

40andafraid (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I got put on Sertraline yesterday, straight on 50mg and a two week supply. I've had anxiety for years, but it's worse right now as I'm getting made redundant in two weeks. I don't have a partner, no kids, no proper support, and my own mortgage. So my stress and anxiety levels have just gotten worse. I've even cancelled some interviews for jobs, because my nerves got so bad, and I couldn't psychically make myself go. So I've used this tablet one night at the moment, and today feel even more anxious, depressed, no energy/motivation, don't have an appetite, and feeling slightly sick. However I have been told by a friend you do feel like this for the first couple of weeks. I just hope they are going to work."

Stacie111 February 19, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Soooo I was prescribed this medicine back in August of 2016 after I was in a horrible car accident in may and I was afraid to take it. I lied to my doctor saying I was doing fine while I was issuing my Ativan as a daily help for anxiety... finally after my final attack 2 weeks ago I realized I needed to do something.. Living with constant anxiety is debilitating and anxious about car accidents and being around people and having an anxiety attack was not helping. I feel fine taking it!!! I started 25mg first 7 days and I'm on 50mg now and the only side effect is nausea but it's very low and goes away with bread or yogurt. I seriously would recommend this to anyone. Deff happy to get my life back on track."

Llddddd January 31, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Started taking on a monday at 25mg upped on Thursday to 50mg feel 80 percent normal again first few days had nausea apart from that felt fine"

J jay January 29, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hi all I've started this medication about six weeks ago after 9 years on Venlafaxine 75mg, the Venlafaxine had terrible side effects if you missed one tablet boy did it remind you. The first few days on Sirtraline seemed ok but then followed sickness and stomach pains and severe anxiety. I've just upped my dose to 100mg two days ago and feel like hell, racing thoughts, anxiety, on edge, just want to shut myself away but can't because of my job and kids, it's truly heartbreaking. My doctor doesn't know I've upped my dose I needed to act as could feel myself crashing. I've had CBT and that was great whilst you have the treatment but then all that support just stopps and your going it alone again. I just hope this will start working soon."

LukaLois January 22, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hi Dears.. I want to share my positive experience with zoloft. Since 2013 I have been suffering from anxiety disorders, was kept on xanax .25 thrice in a day but no significant benefits were observed. Then I consulted psychiatrist he put me on zoloft 50mg after 4 weeks I started feeling better, after 8 weeks I found it beneficial and almost complete relief and I got my life back... zoloft takes at least 8 weeks for maximum relief and is in progressive in nature. So stick with it and give it sufficient time. Don't give up. All the best"

Dada khan January 19, 2017

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was prescribed Lustral for stress and anxiety symptoms 15 years ago. I take 25mg most days and 50mg when I expect more stress. For me it has worked brilliantly, I'm a successful person and I suppose that have built a lot of my achievements on the steady mental base that this medication has helped me to maintain. Before I spent so much mental energy worrying about the future and my ability to deal with potential catastrophic situations (I was imagining). Point of fact the worst periods of my life have all been when I stopped taking it. Maybe, if I had a less pressured career/home/hobbies and had taken a different route in life I wouldn't have needed it but I like my vocation and my life - so this works for me :)"

Poobarr (taken for 10 years or more) January 17, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"So. Long story short I attempted Suicide 2 years ago.I am a 33y/o Female. I shot myself in the chest with a 9mm handgun. My current diagnosis is ~Bipolar type 2 Rapid Cycling ~Generalized Anxiety Disorder , that covers the whole spectrum, social anxiety, large crowds, a few people in a small room, moderate to severe depression and PTSD. My psychiatrist has been trying all kinds of medications. I got fed up with it . After taking prozac for a year with no improvement & then tried lamictal. I was awake for 9 days with the exception of 20 minute naps here & there. So I took 6 months taking nothing but the seroquil on nights I couldn't sleep and the xanax for anxiety & panic attacks. This will be the 5th medication I am trying. I'm scared 2 be honest"

suicide survivor January 14, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Suffered anxiety for years - rushing thoughts - always tense. Had psycho therapy for a while and although it cleared up a lot of things the anxiety persisted including OCDing over thoughts. Now after six years on day 4 of this stuff and I feel I got my life back. I feel like me again - no rushing thoughts and i can handle stress much better. So happy !!"

JackHollingee January 11, 2017

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"A life of aniexty for as long as I can remember. Stress and events increased my aniexty which turned into depression. I felt like I was losing my mind and couldn't find the calm through the storm. After having what I'd call a melt down I knew it was more than I could do alone. Scared and shamed to take the medication route to find relief I put it off for so long. Finally I gave in and thought anything is better than how I was coping. After two weeks of laughing more, thinking/worrying less, and just waking up to a clearer mind I knew. I felt better taking my first step to a healthier, happier life. I have found 25mg has taken the edge off I needed. :) Never give up!"

CarMarie January 10, 2017

42 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Early days as just starting this due to mirtazapine not working, difficult to rate yet but have high hopes for some relief from daily anxiety, affecting being unable to socialise and continue with normal life. Tried CBT but after 20 sessions no better. Your website is helpful with others experiences giving an insight. Will post again if successful."

Barabasnae (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started 25mg of Zoloft two weeks ago. My experience is different because I started taking it after 6 months on Prozac. On Prozac I ended up with paranoia, obsessive thoughts and certainty that I was going crazy, but didn't recognize it as a side effect of medicine. Finally, my therapist told me that Prozac must be making me crazy. As soon as I stopped Prozac and started Zoloft i felt better. I'm not yet sure if I feel better because I'm off Prozac or because Zoloft is working, but I'm calmer and feeling "normal". Still low and worried about everything."

Maggie111 December 31, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was suffering with anxiety with constant running thoughts and feeling overwhelmed. I did 1 on 1 counselling sessions then took the next step by trying medication. I've never been prescribed medication nor take any thing even if I have a headache. I was started on 25mg once a day and now have been on it for about 4 weeks. I must say this has been the one of the best choices I have ever made. I immediately felt relieved from anxious thoughts and stress . I am more calm and can think clearly without worrying. At first yes I experienced very moderate side effects like the blurred vision, light, fogginess but it takes time for your brain neurons to adjust. I would say after 4 days of taking it I felt fine. I finally have my life back !!!"

LoveLifexoo December 24, 2016

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"When I took this drug I was 7 months pregnant with extreme anxiety and depression. I was sectioned on account of the fact I wanted to commit suicide and had taken myself to hospital in a desperate attempt to get help before I did something stupid. It was the worst time of my life. The first week of taking the drug saw my symptoms worsen and the side effects were horrendous. I've seen hell and it was that first week or two. It took two months for the drug to reach its full potential with therapy. The side effects don't last. My baby is 2 now and I'm glad I took sertraline; it saved out lives. Depression is a physical illness like any other and needs treatment. Suicide is the result of untreated depression. Seek help if you feel depressed."

Madame Bouffant (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2016

32 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Zoloft has made a world of positive difference in my life. After about a year in a toxic work environment, my anxiety started yielding at least one strong panic attack per week. It was getting worse--I went from specific situational triggers that I could predict to sudden, out-of-nowhere panic. I started on zoloft at 25mg, and titrated up to 50mg after two weeks. The first two weeks were a little rocky--although I felt great most of the day, I did notice a bit of anxiety coming on right before the next dose. My appetite decreased (not to a scary level), and I was a bit shaky and definitely a little nauseous. After about two to three weeks, I could tell it was working."

BTG (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 21, 2016

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Zoloft brought me out of agoraphobia! It's a wonder drug I'd still be in my room if not for this drug"

Nonam December 18, 2016

29 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Well been on this a week 25 mg once a day at bedtime then will go to two tablets a day . One in am one at bed . No side effects at all yet .I hope this kicks in soon . I take wellbutrin for 10 yrs now . 150 mg a day and venlafaxine 150 mg a day - I hope this new med kicks in soon. Seems pretty tame . I hope to feel better soon !!!"

LesmelMc December 14, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I had severe OCD, anxiety, major depression and insomnia. I ended up on Quetiapine 200mg to treat the insomnia and anxiety. I was later prescribed Sertraline 50mg and increased to 200mg gradually through 50mg increments every 2 weeks. I noticed a significant improvement after 6 weeks. After the second week of Sertraline 200mg I began to reduce the Quetiapine by 50mg every 2 weeks until stopping. The psychiatrist suggested taking Quetiapine alongside Sertraline would minimise the reported initial increase of symptoms caused by starting Sertraline. This was sound advice as I had no increase in symptoms initially. The main side effects I've had are joint pain in my neck, shoulders and knees and increased wind."

Rob_1985 December 12, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hi, I've been suffering with panic disorder for a year which has become progressively worse. My doctor put me on Sertraline and I tried the first one. Spent the day out with family, no big issues just some mild anxiety. Came home and felt my eye sight was a bit funny, distant and I couldn't focus. Feel asleep only to wake in a horrific panic attack. Arms and hands where numb and tingling and my brain was slow. More utterly terrifying was that I couldn't see. White and then flashes of vision broken. I had panic attack so like I've never endured and genuinely believed I was going blind. My partner called the emergency doctor who after ruling out a stroke said I had rare side affects. Never touching them again"

Sabrina8onghi December 11, 2016

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I have been suffering from anxiety and stress since 2013, xanax was suggested to me, 4 years on xanax..5mg thrice a day but even then I was anxious. I decided to consult psychiatrist for complete treatments, he prescribed Zoloft 25mg BD for a week then 50mg OD, on day 7 i started feeling good, on 8 day I have started to take 50mg feeling little foggy but it will obviously show its full effect up to week 4. So give the zoloft time to work... Wish u all the best.."

Khan Baba (taken for less than 1 month) November 22, 2016

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Seems to take the edge of anxiety to some extent. Also having acceptance and commitment therapy which is helping quite a bit too. Still have bad days though but not quite as bad generally as before I was on the medication. No real side effects from what I've seen."

Damo G (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was in therapy for two years for anxiety,my anxiety got so bad I couldn't drive hated traffic,basically didn't want to leave the house only for business,I was so scared to take medicine so I decided to go get on meds I had the bottle for two days before I took it finally last night I took it guess what I'm fine no side effect .nothing!I worried for nothing so don't listen to all the negative stories try for yourself I'm very new on it but I had to write this review for someone who may be as scared as I was .I was scared I even was going to go the emergency room and take it and I wasn't going to sign in I just thought I would feel safer if I sat there to take it haha Im on zoloft 25 mg if your wondering and I'm so glad I gave it a try!"

Scared to death for nothing (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

47 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I've been suffering crippling anxiety since divorcing a sociopath and having life throw some seriously scary shit at me. I'm a single mother with no family to support me and as I suffer social anxiety too - not many friends either. I felt less anxious quite quickly - and even had a few 'normal' moments which I haven't had for months so I was hopeful. However, after just three days I noticed I was sweating more, and feeling agitated. Then I had the worst night ever of constant palpitations, panic, with terrible dreams when I did eventually sleep. I must have got up like 10 times to wee. I was super jumpy - a small sound in the night would have me almost hitting the ceiling with the sudden panic. Not good - stopped immediately."

Griff1969 (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I tried wellbutrin for depression which worked for a couple months, but then I had memory issues.I couldn't remember what I was thinking two seconds later.It scared the crap out of me so badly I couldn't try anything else. Years went by trying to go without, now I'm prescribed sertraline for depression. At first I was terrified but realized I was psyching myself out of actually giving it a try. Before I took this, I barely was eating, sleeping...horrible...now, I gained 5-6 lbs back, can sleep, I just feel better. Some days are rough but not as bad as they used to be. I noticed a lack of sex drive, and dry mouth, but besides that feel great. My dosage is due to be upped now, so I do notice some effectiveness going down, but this is normal."

Trying2bcontent November 18, 2016

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"So I'm on day 4 of 25mg of Zoloft..... I will titrate up to 50 mg at day 7.... I have to say, I feel amazing. Is it normal for it to work this quickly. I'm taking it for anxiety. Mild side effects, can tell something is going on in my head. Feel a little tired or foggy about an hour after I take it, but otherwise I feel good. I understand the full effects won't take hold for a while.... will it actually make me feel better that I already do?? I seriously cannot believe I feel it this fast. Any thought are welcome."

Hockeymom33 November 16, 2016