User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Anxiety and Stress.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Anxiety and Stress

"I was originally worried about taking sertraline as my friend had been taking them and suffered really bad side effects. The first few days were rough, I felt very tired, sick and dizzy, much like a bad hangover. But over time I have found sertraline to be really helpful. I no longer wake up in the middle of the night having a panic attack, and when I think about the stresses in my life I no longer obsess and worry over them. I'm currently on 150mg and they do make me very sleepy after the first few hours of taking them so I find that for me it is best to take them before bed! Don't be scared to try this medication! If you do have any side effects at first don't be put off, it will get better!!"

Clo95 April 21, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have never felt normal all my life I have suffered problems with stress (frustration) depression anxiety been prescribed prozac no effect citalopram no effect spent most of my life self medicating with alcohol & drugs which have caused other problems in my life. Recently my doctor prescribed sertraline 100mg after a few weeks the difference was nothing short of transformational for the fist time I feel normal wish they could have given this to me at about when I was 12. Side affects for me is I no longer like beer! and for the first time I am eating healthy a true revelation"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"First week was hell, I was about to give up. I felt like I was sleeping on a cloud and found it hard to fall back asleep once I awoke. I soon realised if I did not drink any alcohol with the drug I slept to well. My mood is better and I 100% less anxious than before. I only take 25mg as I found 50mg too much. I have been on this now for 5 months and wish I had taken it years ago. Only side effect I do not enjoy is slight weight gain. 6lbs so far but it is worth it."

Homesafe (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 21, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been taking sertraline for many years. It was prescribed to relieve my levels of anxiety. Considerably, it helped, however due to the fact that I have been taking for so many years, my dr decided to increase the dosage to 200mg and presently he prescribed oxcarbazepine 150mg. Although sertraline helps me to control my anxiety, an additional increment was needed. While I don't take sertraline can feel the side effects such as dizziness and nausea. It is a good psychotropic medication, however after a while it seems that mg has to be increased. Hoping this would help me to decrease my anxiety and moderate depression."

LAlberti April 19, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My Dr. prescribed sertraline to manage my OCD and anxiety. I'm a 35 y/o grad student with test anxiety and my OCD has been getting worse over the years. The first day I felt slightly better but the medication made me yawn a lot. After talking it I pulled an all-nighter to study for an exam. After the exam I figured I would go home and sleep but as tired as I was, I couldn't fall asleep. On night two I tossed and turned all night. On day three my skin felt too tight and I felt like I needed to stretch out my jaw and neck all day. On night three I couldn't fall asleep at all and had a weird experience like my body was awake but I couldn't move or yell for help. It was horrible. After I told my dr. she took me off of it."

Ali glycine max April 18, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been on this medication for 7 days. I had severe anxiety, which has completely gone, although I feel slightly sad."

Clare12244 April 17, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My doctor started me out on 25 mg a day for a week, then 50mg a day after that. The first 3 weeks were not good-- symptoms became somewhat worse. However I had read enough reviews to understand that I need to stick with it. After the 4th week I could tell I was not nearly as anxious and worrisome but still didn't feel 100%. My doc upped the dosage to 100mg a day and it's the perfect dose for me. Stay with this drug! It has really helped me! At first I had diarrhea for a few days, but that's gone. I yawn even when I'm not tired and catch myself clenching my jaws but I will tolerate that to feel like myself again. Oh, I also had mild depression, which this drug also helped. Hope this helps someone else."

Waybetter (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 14, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started at 25mg for a week. I had 2 good days and the other days were from my normal anxiety. I then went up to 50mg and felt not too bad except for days 6 and 7. Had some minor sleep problems but managed to get through. I jumped to 75mg three days ago and now I'm feeling like garbage. My anxiety shot up. I feel depressed. I feel weird. I slept only 3.5 hours the last two nights. My stomach feels empty but I did have breakfast and I'm not hungry. I know I need to give it at least a week or two on the higher dosage but I'm so disappointed and discouraged. I wish I can start feeling better."

PaulMartin16 (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started taking 50mg about 16 weeks ago, although it's doing what it's supposed to I'm still nauseous at least twice a week, I take it in the morning which isn't great as by 2pm I feel very fatigued, also I've been told by close friends I'm not the same person. I'm more relaxed, nothing phases me anymore which isn't great, I've lost my edge, my identity but it has sorted my anxiety and depression and I no longer have suicidal thoughts so I guess it's a good thing."

Vincent1977 April 12, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started on 50mg. The day after my first tablet I felt super nauseous and broke out in a cold sweat and had to lie on the floor, that lasted a few minutes and I felt sick throughout that day. First few nights I struggled to sleep. These symptoms soon went away. I went up to 100mg. The only symptoms I have had throughout taking this medication is night sweats, pretty gross, and it's harder to climax. It took a few weeks, but after being on this medication for nearly a year I can honestly say I'm like a different person, more outgoing and carefree. I don't care what people think of me like I used to constantly. I'm happy in my own skin! I'm scared to come off this medication incase I go back to feeling terrible."

Loopy Lynds April 10, 2017

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started on 25mg for 7 days and had a few good days. Increased to 50mg and have begun yo feel even better. I'm not 100% yet but Zoloft has been the first AD to have a positive effect in such a short time with minimal side effects. I have tried and had awful reactions to Paxil, tritellix, Effexor, Remeron, Trazadone, Wellbutrin. Cipralex worked but pooped after 1.5 years and increasing the dosage did nothing and maybe I was worse. Clonazapam was really awful. Lorazapam worked for isolated anxiety but only made my anxiety even worse after a while due to tolerance and rebound effects. Stay away from benzos but if you have to take them, don't take them more than once or twice over month. I started taking them daily and this was a huge mistake."

FPN (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was on Cipralex for 8 months and many other meds. Zoloft is the first one that has given me a positive effect. It's less than 2 weeks but I have been so much better. I started at 25mg for 7 days than 50mg for 5 days. I will go to 75mg this week and hopefully that will give me all I need to be 100%."

PM16 (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Started 50mg Sertraline 6 days ago and was told to take it at night. I sleep well but am sick mainly in the morning and have no appetite. I suspect this may go on for a couple of weeks until my body adjusts but I'd be interested to hear anyone elses experiences"

Borderknit (taken for less than 1 month) April 5, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've been on 25mg of Zoloft for 7 days now and during that time I had 3 good days and 4 bad days. Thus is actually pretty good since I haven't had a good day in 2 months. Based on other reviews and the general use, I'm very lucky to seeing some good days since they say it could take 2 weeks and between 50 and 200mg. I'm hopeful I don't have to go up and continue the horrible ride I've been on trying different antidepressants and benzos which I blame for a lot of my anxiety."

PM16 April 4, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Feel very disconnnected from reality and more depressed and moody also sleep a lot."

Scrooch (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 2, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started sertraline 50 three days ago for anxiety and depression. Feel more anxious than ever. Anyone have this experience"

Shine3 April 1, 2017

16 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I took this for 3 days and felt like a zombie.Doctor gave me this to help me focus for school rather than a narcotic. Needless to say it didn't help I feel like complete garbage. I have had a headache no appetite, insomnia, and hot flashes this stuff is awful! Im just going to be non focused rather than try and find something this isn't worth it!"

Sleepy89 March 30, 2017

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I was having a bad panic attack/anxiety (slight depression as a result) relapse and in my haste I decided to try zoloft starting at 25mg. I took one pill and it resulted in: worse anxiety, cold sweats, trembling, a bad high feeling, panic, nausea, no appetite. I am still stuck with the effects to a lesser degree and it has been over 24 hrs since the dose. Truly feels like a Horrible MDMA high, with zero fun. Apparently takes 120-500 hrs to get out of your system fully from one dose. I have not had luck trying any SSRI's as my horrific side effects start immediately. I should have trusted my gut and gone through counselling again-which I am!"

KTKAT March 23, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I had been suffering with anxiety for a better part of my life, but never had it gotten as bad as it was in the last 2 years. I would have intense panic attacks and was afraid to socialize. This in turn led me to become depressed. The first drug I was put on was fluoxetine. This drug was not compatible with me AT ALL. My anxiety become 10 times worst. I would wake up in the middle of the night and have hour long panic attacks, could barely eat. I genuinely thought I was going to die on this drug, and I even become suicidal. I told my psychiatrist and was put on sertraline 50mg. Within the first week I could feel a significant difference. Way happier, anxiety decreased significantly, and more motivated. I began to felt like my self again!!"

Happygirl24 March 22, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I've had generalised anxiety for years as well as fairly mild depression. This as the 3rd SSRI medication I've been on and most definitely the WORST. I would give this a minus score if I could! I'm putting this review on here as a warning to others. Within a week of being on this med my depression went from mild to severe. I was not in a good place. I came off this med as fast as I could and even that was very unpleasant. I mentioned this to my GP and pharmacist and both seemed to not believe me..please be wary of this devil's concoction."

mitz71 (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

19 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have suffered from Panic disorder and OCD since the age of 18.. Been on medication but stopped when I was 28 due to my pregnancy - Anyhow, 2016 of April I was prescribed Generic Lexapro, keep in mind the brand name worked wonders! The generic was a horrible experience.. Now its my 3rd day of switching to Sertraline 50mg.. The switch has been amazing so far! I feel so much better already."

Becks22 (taken for less than 1 month) March 9, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"My experience with sertraline (Zoloft/lustral, 25mg to 50mg over the course of a week) was hell on earth. One of the biggest regrets of my life. I will never poison myself like that again. Please save yourself from the pain this drug causes - both physical and mental. And please be aware that this pain lasts after you've stopped taking the drug."

ScaredOfSertraline (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2017

17 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"This medicine has been a blessing to my life. I have been taking this medicine for 8 months and now had control on my panic attacks, agraphobia and anxiety. I personally take it at night time because I like taking medicine before going to bed. Since the age of 10 I have been suffering from RA and now I'm 29. This lead me to be depressed but I'm enjoying life once again in the midst of all my complications due to RA. I totally recommend this medicine. In the beginning I had side effects like diarrhea but it was only for two weeks it was actually good because I lost some weight but the I gained it back again. So people do not be afraid this really can help you!"

luisafer February 28, 2017

36 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I have been reading reviews for days on many different meds for anxiety. I was put on Effexor and I read reviews and possible side effects and I became too afraid to take it. So I recently spoke to a friend who has been on Zoloft for 2 months and has great results. So today I'm starting 25mg and bumping it up to 50mg in a week. For years I have suffered with anxiety. But over the last couple months I have had 2 panic attacks, 1 of them actually put me in the hospital. The one I had last night I was able to talk myself out of it after about an hour. Now I feel like I'm always waiting for it to happen again. Which causes anxiety. I'm very afraid of taking meds in fear of side affects. But after last night I'm just gonna do it."

40andafraid (taken for less than 1 month) February 23, 2017

12 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I got put on Sertraline yesterday, straight on 50mg and a two week supply. I've had anxiety for years, but it's worse right now as I'm getting made redundant in two weeks. I don't have a partner, no kids, no proper support, and my own mortgage. So my stress and anxiety levels have just gotten worse. I've even cancelled some interviews for jobs, because my nerves got so bad, and I couldn't psychically make myself go. So I've used this tablet one night at the moment, and today feel even more anxious, depressed, no energy/motivation, don't have an appetite, and feeling slightly sick. However I have been told by a friend you do feel like this for the first couple of weeks. I just hope they are going to work."

Stacie111 February 19, 2017