User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Postpartum Depression

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline has an average rating of 8.1 out of 10 from a total of 59 ratings for the treatment of Postpartum Depression. 75% of reviewers reported a positive effect, while 10% reported a negative effect.

Sertraline Rating Summary

8.1/10 average rating

Compare all 14 medications used in the treatment of Postpartum Depression.

Reviews for Sertraline

LS2020 October 12, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “My baby is 9 weeks old today. I have been on zoloft for the past month. I promised myself that if this drug helped me I would come on here & give a review. Just after my 3rd child was born I hit absolute rock bottom. I cried at least 30 times per day. I couldn’t face going into the nursery or making dinner. I felt short tempered & despair. My doctor gave me zoloft. I started on half a tab at night (now 1 tab). The first 3 nights I was ill. I was rocking with anxiety. I was gasping for breath & I swore black & blue that I was not going to continue with the tablet. Then the morning would come & I felt a bit better. I have not cried once since. I am strong in the mind. I can enjoy my kids. I can put make up on, do my hair, do groceries, bath all kids, dinner. I am me again. I do not feel lowly. Do I feel elated & like I am living on cloud nine? No. I feel strong. I feel capable & calm. I wish you all the best in recovering from & seeing the good side to life again.”

Brenda · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 14, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I’ve been dealing with anxiety and intrusive thoughts pretty much my whole life. After my first baby, my anxiety got really bad. The sleepless nights didn’t help and the general stress of it all. I had never taken an antidepressant because I was a very happy person aside from my anxiety. Once I started Zoloft it took about a month for me to feel the affects. I’m currently on 50 mg of Zoloft and my anxiety is so much better. I wake up so much happier and now, I can focus on being a good mom and being present. I really recommend this to anyone who is dealing with anxiety and obsessive thinking. Just to note, don’t stop taking the medication if your anxiety increases. The first few weeks were really hard. It’s just your mind adjusting to the drug and playing tricks on you. Stick with it. I promise it really helps.”

Me · Taken for 10 years or more September 4, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Hands down, I will never walk this earth again without Zoloft. It is my miracle drug. I've been on it since 2009 and only stopped briefly during my pregnancies. After my 1st daughter was born, I suffered from postpartum psychosis. I refused to bond with her because I was convinced she was going to die of SIDS. Welcome Zoloft in, and it was like a switch flipped. I could take care of my baby. I could bond with her because I knew she wasn't going to die. (Which she didn't, she's now a sassy 6th grader who I love so dearly) it is MY miracle and I hope it helps you all out there too. And in response to bad mood...I've been on zoloft since 2009 and never noticed a change in the formula :) works as good now as it did then!”

Kmg · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 24, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started taking zoloft about 6 weeks before I had my son for prenatal depression and anxiety. It was residual issues from PPDa after a late miscarriage. I probably also was suffering from some PTSD. I suffered for a long time putting off medication. I am very glad that I finally did it. It has taken a long time. Definitely isn’t a “quick fix”, but I feel so much better. I feel like myself again. I promised myself I would write a review to give hope and encouragement to others.”

Fatz December 6, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Zoloft has pulled me out from very dark time. I had severe postpartum anxiety and I was absolutely non functional. I couldn't sleep for 8 days in a row, couldn't eat, couldn't bath .I thought I would it was the end of me or I would go crazy . After zoloft in a month I became much calmer and in three months I am almost back to my normal self. Zoloft is amazing though I am having bad hair fall but it's better than having anxiety. I wanna thank makers of this drug ,zoloft gave me my life back . You just got to be little patient ,it will work .I wrote this review to help people out there. Give it some time”

t · Taken for 6 months to 1 year September 8, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): “I just want to share my experience with Zoloft. I went through the hardest and scariest thing I had ever experienced after having my baby. I though I had gone crazy and had no idea that it was possible to have these symptoms after having a baby. I was very hesitant to take any meds especially because I’m breastfeeding but my dr highly recommend that I take a small dose of Zoloft. I filled the prescription but still didn’t take it until one day I woke up and couldn’t stop crying because of the horrific state that my mind was in. I decided that I could not do this alone. It took at least a month and a couple of dose increases but I am doing so much better now and I really want women to know that it’s ok to talk to your dr and get help. I’m so grateful that we now have access to this medication and I’m so glad that I stopped being stubborn and just accepted the help. There is absolutely no point in trying to conquer this horrific experience alone.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 29, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was hospitalized for postpartum depression (PPD) with my 1st and 2nd child. They are 10 years apart. With my first child I didn’t know what PPD was I thought I was going crazy. I was in a psych ward for 2 weeks which I was medicated with Zoloft 50 mg and Ativan. The side effect were horrible so I was monitored while on it. It takes 2 weeks for side effect to subside. After my 2nd son I caught on sooner so I was on 25mg Zoloft , 15mg remron and .5 klonopin for the side effects. Then bumped to 50 mg Zoloft. If you can push through two weeks with these side effects it’s a godsend. I hope someone with PPD would get help sooner than I did, don’t be afraid I was afraid too it’s like a cloud lifted after a couple of weeks. My mood stabilized my anxiety is lessened. Best of luck to new mamas out there with PPD you can do this.”

Christina-G October 9, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): “Zoloft saved my life after having post natal Anxiety after the birth of each of my children. I had severe anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia which led to depression. I was fearful about being alone.I was hospitalised for 8-12 weeks each time. Anxiety and depression is heightened when you first start this medication so Don't give up on it Give it a chance to work It took at least 8-10 weeks to start feeling like my self again then 12 weeks for symptoms to disappear. Don't be afraid to take a sedative at the start to ease the bumpy side effects. Stick it out. It will be worth it in the long run. I frantically googled reviews on here just like you so wanted to write my story to encourage another mum experiencing similar symptom”

eskiba · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 24, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “I had post partum anxiety which lead to depression with my first child. After 4 weeks of living in a a nightmare, I started medication and it saved my life. For my 2nd child, I started Zoloft the day after giving birth. They gave me 50mg and I had a full blown panic attack. I was terrified. The uneasiness I felt was horrible. They decreased my dose drastically. I took 12.5mg for 2 weeks, then 25mg for 1 week, then 50mg. The first 2 weeks were absolute awful. This medication will make you feel worse before making you feel better. After 2 weeks, the uneasiness and anxiety started to subside and gradually got better nearly every day for 6 more weeks. By 8 weeks, I was COMPLETELY myself again. It's an amazing medication once it kicks in. You HAVE to let it work though. The first 2 weeks are ROUGH, but do NOT quit. I promise you, you will be beyond grateful when it starts to actually help.”

Lissa · Taken for less than 1 month October 3, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was on Zoloft before I got pregnant, because it was the only drug that worked for my anxiety without making me feel like a zombie that wasn’t able to orgasm. After I gave birth, I was smacked in the face with intense anxiety with horrible physical symptoms. My OB got me right back on my script of Zoloft and within two weeks I no longer feel paralyzed. I still have some depressive symptoms (lack of interest in hobbies etc) but the anxiety has all but vanished. Zoloft has saved me from post partum anxiety, without taking anything else away from me like my sex drive.”

smashley · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 20, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “This drug Zoloft saved me... and my family from postpartum depression. I was experiencing terrible emotional turmoil during my pregnancy and afterwards my anxiety was so high that I was afraid I couldn't work, I couldn't have conversations with friends/coworkers without almost having a panic attack. I was afraid of taking medicine, that it might make me feel like a zombie.. I was wrong! I feel like myself except calmer, and less anxious. Its harder to orgasm but my drive is through the roof because... I'm not depressed! Thank you Zoloft! I started at 50mg and now I'm on 100mg and its the perfect dose for me. I did have an anxiety increase at first but got much better after a few weeks of use.”

Tori March 12, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I wanted to share my experience with pospartum depression for those that are new to zoloft. I was diagnosed with postpartum anxiety depression 6 weeks after my baby was born. I was under severe stress since my baby was born at 7 months hence that’s where the postpartum hit me. It was the scariest thing I have ever felt in my life. I thought I had lost myself, I just didn’t feel like me anymore and the anxiety was beyond horrible. I had anxiety 24/7 couldn’t eat, sleep, was an emotional wreck! I started Zoloft and that only intensified my symptoms for the first 3 weeks then I slowly began to feel like me again not 100% me but it felt like I was getting there. My anxiety slowly began to lessen as well. I had to go up on my dose and the side effects came back for about 5 days then they began to subside and 8 weeks later I was me again!!! I started on 25mg then bumped up to 50mg and have been on 50mg for a few months now. There’s light at the end of the tunnel!!”

SamBitto September 11, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “I thought I was going crazy. I developed PPD at 3 months postpartum. My symptoms manifested in Anxiety. I had zero control over the fear and panic. I stopped eating, I threw up all day. I couldn't even hold my baby without feeling nausea. You hear so much about postpartum depression but women need to be aware of postpartum anxiety. It's very real. It took 4 trips to the ER for me to accept that I wasn't dying, that I just had PPD and I needed to give my Zoloft a chance. It saved my life! Zoloft is so wonderful. It gave my children their mother back. Zoloft will take your anxiety away. It will! My side effects were very little. But then they went away. Iv only been on Zoloft for 2 months now and I'm a better person then ever before.”

Domo · Taken for 1 to 6 months September 24, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “Before this medication Zoloft I was completely unable to leave my house for fear that I would have to interact socially. I felt hopeless and like I had failed which gave me no drive to clean or take care of my 3 year old while pregnant. After starting this medication I have been able to return to normal life. I have a healthy newborn and I feel able to take on daily tasks and social interactions.”

Anxious Mama · Taken for 6 months to 1 year August 26, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “I should’ve been on this for years. It saved me from postpartum anxiety, intrusive thought loops, and crushing depression. I didn’t realize how bad my sleeping habits were due to depression until I started treating myself with Zoloft. My anxiety is completely manageable now and the thought loops have stopped.”

Itsoktobesad · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 13, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “First off don’t stop taking Zoloft I learn it the hard way. I suffered from Postpartum Depression (PPD) severely after I had my son in 2009. I was hospitalized for 2-3 weeks. Zoloft did gave me side effect the first couple of weeks like headaches, insomnia, loss of appetite, anxiety, panics, and diarrhea. It felt like I was a zombie the first 3 weeks. My PPD gradually subsided the 3rd week. I weaned off of it when my son was 3. Fast forward 2 years later I went through a rough patch and needed to be on Zoloft again. Then again I tapered off of it after 2 years. Then I had another child 10 years after 2009 and my PPD came back so I’m on it again. So far I’m trying to pull through this tough time again. Zoloft have help me plenty of times and I hope this will help someone that is going through PPD.”

BrittneyJoy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 10, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): “I had HORRIBLE postpartum anxiety!! I cried all day everyday out of pure FEAR for no reason at all. I ended up losing almost 30 pounds in one month because I was completely sick with myself for the way I was feeling and ashamed. Went to my doctor and he put me on Zoloft 25mg. I’m not lying when I tell you only 2 days in I felt sooo much better and relaxed. I could actually breath and start thinking straight again. After 2 weeks I went up to 50mg and so on until I was at 150 mg. It was great for me! I couldn’t be sad or cry if I wanted to! After almost a year I’ve weaned myself off of them. The only bad side effects were excessive sweating at night (I would wake up soaking wet in my bed) and gaining some of my weight back (but I’d rather be fat and happy, then skinny and miserable). All in all, I’d definitely recommend this for anyone that is at rock bottom right now, just start with a way low dose and work yourself up. This too shall pass!!!”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 25, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “It took a few weeks, but I feel so much better. I felt like I was stuck on the bottom of a seesaw and couldn't balance out my mood. I couldn't handle my rage over the smallest things. I would wake up and couldn't shut off my brain. Now I'm sleeping better, I wake up in a normal mood and no longer "sweat the small stuff." In addition, I am getting along much better with my family and friends. Let's just say I am better to be around. Don't worry about the side effects. I stayed away from Zoloft for a long time because I had anxiety about the side effects. Guess what? No side effects! Just a better life.”

HappyBunny August 23, 2019

“Postpartum depression/anxiety came and bit me on the bum pretty hard and knocked me for six. I went from being in a lovely baby bubble to being lower than I’ve ever been, I wasn’t sleeping, had terrible anxiety felt trapped couldn’t eat. The guilt I felt was overwhelming. The first week of sertraline was dreadful and I kept thinking what have I done? I felt worse than before. The second and third week were a little better, but my mood fluctuated and I’d have a good day followed by a very bad one that knocked me back. I spent all my time reading reviews and worrying they weren’t working. I am now on week 4 and have noticed a huge difference. I still have some anxiety but am able to diffuse it so much quicker. I am sleeping and eating better, am much more positive and feel almost back to the old me. I didn’t give 10 because the first week or so is rough. I promised myself that if I felt better I’d right a review, to give other mommas out there the hope that It does get better”

Emer · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 16, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “After my second child I had severe PPD. I could not sleep, eat and lost 50 lbs in about 4 months. I took an antipsychotic for sleep and mood for a couple months on and off until I could see a psychiatrist. She recommended lexapro. I took this and the side effects were intense. I felt in such a dark place, dissociation, things I’d never felt before. I stopped within a couple weeks and quickly upped my dose of Zoloft to 200 mgs with no side effects. I also take 25 mgs of trazadone to ensure I sleep. After a year I am starting to wean down a little but this drug saved me. I have gained weight but I am hoping that will go away once I wean myself down.”

SG · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2021

Zoloft (sertraline): “I’m writing this because postpartum anxiety snuck up on me. This was my second baby but a completely different experience from the first. I had a complicated pregnancy and a baby born six weeks early. We had a short NICU stay and I thought I was great when she came home. Slowly I kept slipping into constant worry and became a nervous wreck. It effected my husband and four year old. I kept thinking that exercise and sleep could solve my issues but eventually came to realize I needed a little extra help. I started taking 25mg of Zoloft and the first week sucked! I felt worse, had night sweats and insomnia. But I want to give you hope, with time the medication will help. It’s been 11 days now and I’m seeing my life come back together. I enjoy being with my baby and family and worry only when it’s necessary. Don’t give up hope! You can feel better.”

Mia02116 July 16, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “I suffered from severe postpartum depression, anxiety, and OCD. More so horrifying intrusive thoughts that consumed my life, I literally wanted to give up. I was too scared to try a medication. I suffered from the time my baby was 6 months old to 18 months old. Finally I decided that Zoloft was my last hope. I started off at a low dose of 25mg and gradually increased it to 50, and finally 100mg. I can say I feel amazing. I don't ruminate on my obsessive thoughts anymore. Yes sometimes the thoughts still come into my head, but I am able to notice them as being an anxious thought and I don't spend hours days or months obsessing on them. They literally come in and go out, and I can function! I love zoloft! It saved my life!”

Linda · Taken for 10 years or more July 12, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started Zoloft after my first child was born in 1986 and I experienced postpartum depression. I worked great and after awhile, I quit on my own thinking I was in the clear. Big mistake, within a month or so the depression returned and my PCP stated, if it ain't broke, why fix it? Meaning why did I quit. He said if you feel well, it's b/c of the Zoloft so stick with it. My son, who just turned 16 has been on it as well, along with Adderall. While both drugs make me quite nervous, he has gone from a disaster at school, to excelling in many categories and I feel, is in a good place mentally. Hope I don't live to regret these choices! Good luck to all of you!”

Postpartum and thensome March 29, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): “A game-changer for me and as a result, my family. I felt panicked, angry and had racing thoughts. Within a few days I was more calm, within weeks I was relaxed and could think rationally rather than be anxious. I've continued to take it as I just feel so much better as a result.”

Gypsyroseee March 22, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “I suffered terrible depression and anxiety after I had my son. It was the worst experience because I had no control over the worrying, sadness and hopelessness. I wasn't able to enjoy my newborn because I felt so down and anxious about everything. After I developed insomnia and would sleep for 3 days at a time I decided to get help. I felt embarrassed and shameful for feeling this way, but I can assure anyone dealing with postpartum anxiety/depression that it's NOT your fault! It's a very real disorder and can take a person's life if they don't seem help. Zoloft literally saved mine, I have been on 100mgs for one year and feel like the happy person I was before pregnancy. Best decision I've ever made!!”

Learn more about Postpartum Depression