User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Zoloft (sertraline): "I’ve suffered from serious depression since I was about 11 but always refused treatment because I’m against any kind drugs and I was afraid I would lose myself and become a zombie instead and I didn’t want that. But now in my 30’s now and feeling very suicidal, waking up anxious everyday, heart racing non stop, always crying and not being able to do anything really without being panicky and ridiculously self conscious, relationship failing because of my head, I was at the end. Started on 25mg of zoloft and from first day no crying. No depression or anxiety, no reactive emotions anymore. From first day. Didn’t think it would work from first day but it has and I’m blown away I didn’t start this sooner. Side effect( very tired though ) definitely worth it."

Saltgirl22 October 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am 73 years old and have been on Zoloft (generic version) since 1990 when I began seeing a Rheumatologist for Rheumatic Fever. My depression was caused by childhood sexual abuse which my mind had locked away until this time of illness. I was also very angry and contemplated suicide. I could not share my story because of shame and the stigma. She saw I was sad and depressed and wrote a script for Zoloft which I have been on it ever since. Started with 50mgs and now taking 100mgs. She saved my life and my sanity. I did go to counselling years later and was able to verbalize my feelings and forgive. I am thankful for having Rheumatic Fever which led me to this sweet doctor. No side effects that I know of."

great-grannie of one (taken for 10 years or more) October 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been from 50 mg to 200 mg. I think less is more as less side effects and you can deal with issues more aggressively. Tip: less is more see if 25 mg or 50 mg will work"

Robyn3 (taken for 10 years or more) September 14, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "The first day I tried Zoloft, I sat and looked out the window all day, watching it snow. All I could think of was how pretty it was. But it also made my heart beat VERY hard. I could feel my blood pounding through my head and neck harder than I'd ever felt before. My doctor had me try smaller doses, but even at 25mg the same thing happened. So no Zoloft for me. Which is a shame, since it really did show promise."

Serene Celine (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "My story is a positive one and meant to give others hope that they can reclaim their lives and live a normal, happy, healthy one! Dec,2016 I became sick, overloaded, crying constantly & fearful. Dr. gave me Zoloft & Xanax, was terrified to take either, but started xanax once a day at .12mg and it eased anxiety soon went to .25 2x a day. Finally took Zoloft 25mg. Side effects were horrible! Upped to 37.5 after 2 months,2 months later 50.Wish I had listened and taken 50 mg First. My family forced me to stick with it, tho side effects were unbearable.Then One day ,4 weeks into the 50mg dose I felt like my old self. I was excited about life! Happy again. After a week I quit Xanax. I'm Working again &l oving life! Seek therapy! You can do it!"

Cara802 August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At first sertraline made me worse, more depressed, insomnia, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, but after a few weeks I felt a lot of my depression going away, however it's taken a lot of dose increases to get to a comfortable level where it works on my depression, 4 months later and I finally feel like myself again. would recommend even though the side effects are kinda rough"

sertralineformajordepression August 22, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was skeptical about anti-depressants for a long time and decided to take them only as a last resort. I've been on 200mg of Zoloft for about 6 months now and the results are fantastic. I've had a tremendous improvement in mood, energy, and all around motivation to get up in the morning. I have also had zero side effects. Unless something changes I will continue to take this medication and recommend it to others as well."

James Finnegansz August 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Started off at age 13 on Prozac, age 14-16 back and forth from ciprelax and Prozac, and 17-18 200 mg of Zoloft, I find this the most useful, but when I miss a day of taking it I become very down and hear and see things I shouldn't, also I take this with prescribed sleeping pills"

Prettybritty August 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on this medication previously and after a week gave up hope and stopped taking it. Recently my anxiety became out of control as did my depression. I literally had no hope left. I felt sad, lonely, out of focus, irritable, suicidal, and hopeless. I would wake up having panic attacks and go to sleep having panic attacks. I started researching ways to off myself and came very close. I decided to finally seek help and while awaiting my referral to see a psychiatrist my doctor gave me this medication. I am taking 100 mg once a day. It took a week of the medicine to feel the full effects but I feel happy again, focused, grounded, and way less anxious. I find myself laughing more, joking, smiling and not constantly anxious."

Jaws Nicollet July 30, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"At higher doses (200mg) this medication made me feel foggy, unable to focus on tasks and unable to orgasm. At lower doses (50mg) my depression symptoms returned and so did my sexual appetite. My usual dose was 100mg which was a compromise between symptoms and sexuality. After two years, I stopped taking them cold turkey (it was a bad choice in hindsight) which cased brain-zaps and emotional instability. That withdrawal symptoms lasted one month."

Mr S (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 5, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "It's hard to know if it's working I feel down majority of the time and the only time I'm happy is when I'm ready for bed. I've been on Zoloft for 6 months now at 100mg I just want this to kick in already. Can I take anything else to help me?"

Vyzz June 20, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I just did a week of 25mg. I haven't noticed a difference. I haven't had bad side effects either. Tomorrow I will up the dose to 50mg. I'll be posting again next week."

Nervoussssssssssssss May 31, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Week 1 and 2 was hell. Week 3 and 4 was a bit better but still hell. I could not function really and I was thinking about death with some insomnia. No appetite that I lost 15 lbs. Beginning of Week 5 I felt the transition in a few hours. I put on the pants and went outside and bought a burger. I was just OK with being and I felt a transformation. I also started Bupropin for smoking a few days ago."

Frank es (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I can truly say that so far this medication has literally saved my life. I have suffered from depression for the past two and a half years . In December of 2016 it got out of control. I hit the lowest point in my life out of nowhere. I tried my hardest to get out of the most horrible depression and anxiety that one could ever experience in life. Thoughts became obsessive and I got insomnia. I prayed, I ate better, I tried and I tried to beat this beast all by myself, but the harder I tried the more I felt that I was sinking . I decided to try antidepressants and the first I was given was lexapro. Lexapro was horrible for me, and then my Dr suggested Zoloft. I was so hesitant, but I'm glad I gave it a try. Don't give up!!"

JackieP1121 May 3, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "It's nothing. This did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't even have any side-effects, it was like taking a sugar pill or a placebo."

voskhod (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've had a lot of success with Zoloft both as an antidepressant and for generalized anxiety disorder. It has worked for me for almost 2 years now and has really kept my symptoms under control. I'm of very small weight and sensitive to medications, so 25 mg works for me reasonably well. I have had to up my dosage to 50mg during times of high stress and it has helped so much. The only side effects I have experienced were a little nausea, some apathy, and insomnia. Other than that, I have tolerated this medication very well. It helps me put things into perspective and stops me from my having such negative, anxiety ridden thinking patterns. It helps me live in the moment and takes away a lot of my worries. I would definitely recommend."

FLGAL (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 6, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Basically all I can say is that when my depression decides to crush every bone in my body as least I have now gotten the strength to get up and say "right this is boring, time to try and be productive!!" To be honest... call this TMI but my libido has definitely increased since taking this drug. My anxiety used to stop me from feeling anything. So yep, not so bad. Started this drug last year in May. Longest I've ever stuck to a drug, so that's saying something. I've gotten to know myself a little more since then. Only side effects are having periods of being emotionless, paranoia, addictive nature, VERY WILD AND VIVID DREAMS, slight rage, days full of nothing but sadness and an ongoing identity crisis. I'm on 50mg. Can't handle higher"

DanDanIsMe March 18, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft actually changed my life. It's helped me cope with every day situations in an non reactive way. My thoughts have calmed down and my anxiety is minimal. I've actually lost 15 lbs on Zoloft. I started on 50mg and now I'm up to 200mg per day. I've been on it for about a year now and I like that it doesn't numb everything or make me super emotional or tired. I'm very well balanced. I just wish I could sleep better."

Fanni (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 10, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Developed deep depression. Resisted drugs for a while. GP recommended zoloft. First four weeks were hell then it has been excellent.The best I have felt for years. In Australia so drug very cheap. $13 dollars for month"

Big Australian A March 4, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I took 75 mg for 3 weeks and it didn't really move the needle for my depression. I thought around day 3 I felt a little better, but after that it was pretty much back to being depressed as I had been before. I did feel like I was less easily angered by things, which was nice. It did not help my social anxiety very much or at all. Side effects were not too bad. A little drowsiness the first few days. Some ringing in the ears. Decreased libido the first couple of weeks. The doctor has changed me over to Cymbalta, so we'll see if that works any better. I had high hopes for Zoloft, but I guess it just didn't work for me."

TheBurritoKing (taken for less than 1 month) February 28, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft is a fantastic AD. It gave me motivation and helped me get back out there into my life. It didn't work that well for anxiety, but your mileage may vary. Even switching up as little as 50mg would bring back the "punch" if it "pooped out." Highly recommend."

Psychtraveler (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 16, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've suffered from all four (Panic/ anxiety/depression/bad thoughts) for 7 years I've never had panic attacks like I do now, I'm finding myself on the internet searching about panic/anxiety attacks how are they cause what causes them, searching more into the answer I got then searching more in to that answer I got and so on, it's to the point I'm scared to eat because I'm scared of having something to spike an attacks, try to avoid leaving my house let along the living room, my doctor gave me zoloft 25mg and I'm so scared to take it, what if it makes me worse what if it don't work, what if something happens while I have my kids alone, can I od, will I get addicted feel like I'm going crazy"

Alyssa M February 9, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Before starting sertraline everything happening in my brain felt like mashed potatoes. I've definitely noticed with Sertraline I am able to think about and rationalize my feelings, thoughts and actions like a normal person"

Memyself&i (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 8, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I'm 20 and haven't truly felt happy since I was around 13 years old. Over the last year at work, I noticed that I had begun to have more regular emotional meltdowns and panic attacks. It was at that point that I decided I had to find a solution. I had already gone through counselling with various people and decided to try medication. Started at a low dose of 50mg per day. At the very beginning it made me a bit tired and nauseous, but it's been a while and I'm at 100mg. I think the 50 was pretty good, but at 100 I feel like I'm living on autopilot and am emotionless toward many things. I'm going back to 50mg and think I'll only go up to 100mg when I really need it. TBH though, I would rather be numb than go through the depression from before."

SkittlessFann February 7, 2017

Did you?  Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been under going some health issue for the past 3 months. Doctors believe it's my anxiety & depression that are the problem. I've had anxiety & depression for about 16 years & never had issues like I'm experiencing now. But to rule out depression & anxiety I decided to start taking Zoloft as the doctor recommended. I took my first dose last night 50mg. (Side note, I had been on Zoloft before when I was younger). the night I took the first dose... my head felt kind of funny, still feels a little funny. I got drowsy. A little shaky. This morning I felt sick to my stomach. My eyes were dilated & I felt wired. I'm going to cut it in half tonight & see how that goes."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2016