User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 61 medications used in the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Major Depressive Disorder

Zoloft (sertraline): "Triggered Depersonalization, blank mind and anhedonia which I didn't have prior Zoloft At first I felt good, even too good which I can now consider as hypermania (lack of need to sleep, running around the house, insisting that I'm an art piece) 2 weeks later not feeling my self, as if my head is filled with cotton, the world appeares different and I can't feel anything towards my GF, I wish I have never touched this full apathy inducer of a pill. Later on I found that I have a short/short version of the "Seratonin transporter gene" AKA SLC6A4 or 5-HTTLPR, which is known to cause more side effects with SSRIs and SNRIs, beware."

KiloMan (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

"Became depressed after abusing Adderall and alcohol. After a few months of being sober from all drugs, I was still depressed. Decided to give sertraline a try. Worked within 2 weeks. Been feeling pretty go since. Not a cure all but it has lifted my mood a whole lot."

Zlou (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I want everyone to know if you are on medication for depression and anxiety you must find which medication works best for you. Paxil made me very shaky and Cymbalta was a complete nightmare. I’m currently on Zoloft. Been on it for many years . My doctor calls it a maintenance drug. Zoloft works very well for me . No side effects. If you feel you need to be on medication, that life is a struggle mentally, and you have a doctor who understands you and you trust please try a medication BUT do not stay on a medication that does not work . Work with your doctor and try a different one . It’s a long horrible journey finding the right one but once you find it you will know . Seek counseling when things get rough . Talk to others who are going through the same thing. I take 100mg of Zoloft with a fish oil supplement and vitamin D. You must eat right and take care of yourself if you want your medication to work best for you. And no alcohol . It may make you feel horrible the next day ."

Owen (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 8, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "Lifelong depression sufferer. First 3 days felt like valium, floaty and nice but symptoms were largely unaffected. Next fortnight was harrowing with vastly increased anxiety and insomnia, mind roaring the entire time. After that things chilled out a bit and life has gotten progressively easier since. First good day came at end of week 4. Now in week 7 and it's as if depression is a thing of the past, any fog thoughts are controllable and no longer dominate my outlook. Should also mention weird taste that the stuck around for the first few weeks, has either gone now or I've got used to it. Sexual desire dropped off for a while but has returned, orgasm is definitely less intense though. Weighing up pros and cons I'm functioning better than for a long time and am seeing aspects of myself that were unthinkable just 2 months ago. I'd happily stay on it forever at this point."

Sertralinewarriors (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "Did nothing"

nothing41 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "Setraline has done absolutely nothing to help my depression, it brought on anhedonia which made me feel really down and just deeply sad. Waited 3 weeks and made me feel way worse, this is the 2nd SSRI I have used. I luckily respond very well to bupropion XL 300mg and it saved me from the complete hell I was in due to the SSRI. I don’t truly believe serotonin is the key to happiness, especially because I responded a hell of a lot better to Wellbutrin which is a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor. All I can do is hope the new medication of ketamine nasal spray will do something good for most people who are suffering."

james1738 (taken for less than 1 month) January 17, 2018

"This medication has given me my happiness back. I suffer from MDD and GAD and my symptoms have changed me a person since my late teens. I have tried other antidepressants with modest relief. I was prescribed this in September 2017 and I noticed relief almost right away. Ten years from the onset, I feel amazing. I’m laughing all the time even at situations that would have normally caused me great anxiety, I’m not harping on issues or focusing on the negative. I have had no panic attacks. My therapist even commented on how I seem the happiest she’s ever seen me. At first, I did have diarrhea which lasted about 3 weeks but it has subsided."

KempyGirl (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2017

"Wonderful drug! Have been on 50mg for about a month now and my mood has improved SIGNIFICANTLY. I was prescribed this after fluvoxamine caused too many side effects, including severe suicidality. A lot of the previous side effects have cleared up; I have no more mind fog and my lethargy is reduced! I also feel more motivated in general and for the first time in recent years, like I'm my normal self again. I was very pleasantly surprised. However I do also have OCD for which I was originally prescribed which I've yet to see results for. But nothing's worsened; it's just the same. Overall I'm very satisfied and have high hopes for this drug. :) I'd definitely recommend it if you're struggling with depression as well."

rosespirit (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 16, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "Saw no affect"

Needaxanax December 10, 2017

"Started 2007, when I was in 7th grade(age 13) prescribed 25mg before breakfast. At first I didn’t notice any change so two weeks later that was increased to 50mg, after 2-3 month of no signs of improvement, 100mg daily. During this time I went from weighing around 130lb to 180-190lb and for a 5 foot tall thirteen year old that’s excessive in my opinion, thinking about it now. Ultimately before the end of my 1st year taking this as I was at 200mg(did so 5yrs). I by that time had been put into this daze for what seems like forever, not complacent but not there mentally. Drug made me: zombie like, isolated, suicidal. More (-) results than (+)’s. I still experience side effects and stopped taking in ‘12 "

ChazK (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 15, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I’ve suffered from serious depression since I was about 11 but always refused treatment because I’m against any kind drugs and I was afraid I would lose myself and become a zombie instead and I didn’t want that. But now in my 30’s now and feeling very suicidal, waking up anxious everyday, heart racing non stop, always crying and not being able to do anything really without being panicky and ridiculously self conscious, relationship failing because of my head, I was at the end. Started on 25mg of zoloft and from first day no crying. No depression or anxiety, no reactive emotions anymore. From first day. Didn’t think it would work from first day but it has and I’m blown away I didn’t start this sooner. Side effect( very tired though ) definitely worth it."

Saltgirl22 October 10, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am 73 years old and have been on Zoloft (generic version) since 1990 when I began seeing a Rheumatologist for Rheumatic Fever. My depression was caused by childhood sexual abuse which my mind had locked away until this time of illness. I was also very angry and contemplated suicide. I could not share my story because of shame and the stigma. She saw I was sad and depressed and wrote a script for Zoloft which I have been on it ever since. Started with 50mgs and now taking 100mgs. She saved my life and my sanity. I did go to counselling years later and was able to verbalize my feelings and forgive. I am thankful for having Rheumatic Fever which led me to this sweet doctor. No side effects that I know of."

great-grannie of one (taken for 10 years or more) October 8, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been from 50 mg to 200 mg. I think less is more as less side effects and you can deal with issues more aggressively. Tip: less is more see if 25 mg or 50 mg will work"

Robyn3 (taken for 10 years or more) September 14, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "The first day I tried Zoloft, I sat and looked out the window all day, watching it snow. All I could think of was how pretty it was. But it also made my heart beat VERY hard. I could feel my blood pounding through my head and neck harder than I'd ever felt before. My doctor had me try smaller doses, but even at 25mg the same thing happened. So no Zoloft for me. Which is a shame, since it really did show promise."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 30, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "My story is a positive one and meant to give others hope that they can reclaim their lives and live a normal, happy, healthy one! Dec,2016 I became sick, overloaded, crying constantly & fearful. Dr. gave me Zoloft & Xanax, was terrified to take either, but started xanax once a day at .12mg and it eased anxiety soon went to .25 2x a day. Finally took Zoloft 25mg. Side effects were horrible! Upped to 37.5 after 2 months,2 months later 50.Wish I had listened and taken 50 mg First. My family forced me to stick with it, tho side effects were unbearable.Then One day ,4 weeks into the 50mg dose I felt like my old self. I was excited about life! Happy again. After a week I quit Xanax. I'm Working again &l oving life! Seek therapy! You can do it!"

Cara802 August 22, 2017

"At first sertraline made me worse, more depressed, insomnia, stomach pains, nausea, headaches, but after a few weeks I felt a lot of my depression going away, however it's taken a lot of dose increases to get to a comfortable level where it works on my depression, 4 months later and I finally feel like myself again. would recommend even though the side effects are kinda rough"

sertralineformajordepression August 22, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was skeptical about anti-depressants for a long time and decided to take them only as a last resort. I've been on 200mg of Zoloft for about 6 months now and the results are fantastic. I've had a tremendous improvement in mood, energy, and all around motivation to get up in the morning. I have also had zero side effects. Unless something changes I will continue to take this medication and recommend it to others as well."

James Finnegansz August 9, 2017

"Started off at age 13 on Prozac, age 14-16 back and forth from ciprelax and Prozac, and 17-18 200 mg of Zoloft, I find this the most useful, but when I miss a day of taking it I become very down and hear and see things I shouldn't, also I take this with prescribed sleeping pills"

Prettybritty August 3, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on this medication previously and after a week gave up hope and stopped taking it. Recently my anxiety became out of control as did my depression. I literally had no hope left. I felt sad, lonely, out of focus, irritable, suicidal, and hopeless. I would wake up having panic attacks and go to sleep having panic attacks. I started researching ways to off myself and came very close. I decided to finally seek help and while awaiting my referral to see a psychiatrist my doctor gave me this medication. I am taking 100 mg once a day. It took a week of the medicine to feel the full effects but I feel happy again, focused, grounded, and way less anxious. I find myself laughing more, joking, smiling and not constantly anxious."

Jaws Nicollet July 30, 2017

"At higher doses (200mg) this medication made me feel foggy, unable to focus on tasks and unable to orgasm. At lower doses (50mg) my depression symptoms returned and so did my sexual appetite. My usual dose was 100mg which was a compromise between symptoms and sexuality. After two years, I stopped taking them cold turkey (it was a bad choice in hindsight) which cased brain-zaps and emotional instability. That withdrawal symptoms lasted one month."

Mr S (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 5, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "It's hard to know if it's working I feel down majority of the time and the only time I'm happy is when I'm ready for bed. I've been on Zoloft for 6 months now at 100mg I just want this to kick in already. Can I take anything else to help me?"

Vyzz June 20, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I just did a week of 25mg. I haven't noticed a difference. I haven't had bad side effects either. Tomorrow I will up the dose to 50mg. I'll be posting again next week."

Nervoussssssssssssss May 31, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "Week 1 and 2 was hell. Week 3 and 4 was a bit better but still hell. I could not function really and I was thinking about death with some insomnia. No appetite that I lost 15 lbs. Beginning of Week 5 I felt the transition in a few hours. I put on the pants and went outside and bought a burger. I was just OK with being and I felt a transformation. I also started Bupropin for smoking a few days ago."

Frank es (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 8, 2017

"I can truly say that so far this medication has literally saved my life. I have suffered from depression for the past two and a half years . In December of 2016 it got out of control. I hit the lowest point in my life out of nowhere. I tried my hardest to get out of the most horrible depression and anxiety that one could ever experience in life. Thoughts became obsessive and I got insomnia. I prayed, I ate better, I tried and I tried to beat this beast all by myself, but the harder I tried the more I felt that I was sinking . I decided to try antidepressants and the first I was given was lexapro. Lexapro was horrible for me, and then my Dr suggested Zoloft. I was so hesitant, but I'm glad I gave it a try. Don't give up!!"

JackieP1121 May 3, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "It's nothing. This did absolutely nothing for me. I didn't even have any side-effects, it was like taking a sugar pill or a placebo."

voskhod (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 12, 2017