User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

"I've struggled with anixety for 15 years and Sertraline was the last hope after 18 months of talk therapy, CBT and mindfulness training. I felt a failure when the doctor advised to go onto these tables due to the stigma and effort not to lean on tablets as a crutch. I regret my hesitation as I could have saved years of suffering. Its been 8 weeks on 50mg and I'm starting to rebuild my life and make plans for the future. I'm starting to trust my thoughts which used to be scrambled and my emotions are more in control, thank goodness :-) The stigma can hold people back but once you take the plunge that concern will fall to one side and I no longer care what people think who haven't been in the same fight battling through each anxiety episode hoping to make it through the day without causing too much damage. This medication may not be right for everyone and you may have to try a different one but it's worth finding your tablet cure as they can work wonders in getting you back to yourself"

Jodie May 31, 2018

"I am on Day 7 of 25mg Sertraline. My anxiety has skyrocketed. I went from having to take an occasional Lorazepam 0.25 mg to needing two 0.5mg pills per day just to function. I have woken up from naps twice in a panic. I wake up nights with anxiety. I just feel like a mess. I just don't know if I should keep pushing through to see if it gets better. This is so hard. I read other reviews and stories about waiting it out. My new Psychiatric NP is away for another week. The fill in person said that I should break the pill in half to do 12.5mg until my next appt. next week. I feel so rubbishy and scared."

amandaf111 (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

"I started on 50mg this drug took me to hell so I snapped the tablets in half so I was only having 25mg this was still horrible but after 3 week and 2 stone in weight lost I started to feel my old self but I still was not 100% so it was upped to 100mg this was also a problem for me but I don’t give up on anything. I was having 75mg one day and 100mg every other day this worked and a year on my life is fantastic and I don’t worry about anything .Don’t give up when you first start out - it’s horrible but it does get better. Three weeks is a long time when you are at day 1. I was scared of leaving the house and I was being sick could not eat Sorry about my spelling as I’m better at plumbing than spelling"

Plumber (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2018

"I have had horrid anxiety, of all kinds, since I was very young and my doctor finally prescribed me sertraline. I suffer from anorexia, OCD, social anxiety, depression and possibly the worst panic attacks. After 2 1/2 years I’m now on 100mg and I still have attacks quite often, but they aren’t as bad as they used to be so I think it’s kind of working. I would recommend for someone who has moderate anxiety. I haven’t had any major side effects, but I did have trouble sleeping in the beginning."

Sofia April 2, 2018

"I suffered from panic attacks in June 2016 then GAD came after with my depression, It took me almost a year before I sought help from the doctor. When I did he recommended me Zoloft started at 50mg for 7 days then 75mg for 14days and I'm now on 100mg week 6. The first month is pretty up and down, It does take at least 4 weeks to start feeling the meds working. Now I'm on week 6 and I really do feel like my life is coming back and I'm not worried or having negative thoughts as much. I can do things again I never thought I could. Zoloft is an awesome med just hang in there for a few months it sure does work."

Bon16 January 19, 2018

"Took Sertraline 8 years ago for 3-4 months due to anxiety and insomnia. Was able to start sleeping normally again. Voluntarily stopped taking because it made me fatigued and my blood sugar went up. Now taking 50 mg due to same problem. No alcohol involved this time but still have bad nausea and stuffy head after 1 wk. Supposed to go up to 100 mg. Had anyone started same medicine after several years? Will it work the same as before?"

jj 12 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

"Have gone off and on this medicine a couple times, 50 mg for anxiety, especially social anxiety. Am just starting to go back on it for the third time because it’s been a month since I was off it and I’m back to having panic attacks. Only went off it to lose weight (it definitely makes me gain weight) but it is worth it to be on it for the peace of mind that I feel when I’m on it. I know a lot of people worry about losing or changing their personality when they go on medicine - but it makes me feel like “myself” only better. Everyone’s different but this could really help and work for you too."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2017

"I started on sertraline in April. I have had lifetime high functioning anxiety but an early menopause resulted in me having acute severe anxiety. I felt like I could not go out of the house. It was absolute torture. Today I gave a 3 page speech in front of 100's of people. I have my confidence back. It has been a rocky ride and I am still having bad days but my mind is clearer and I have not had a panic attack for a very long time. 2 weeks in I thought this is making me worse. I got a rash, teeth clenching and had vivid dreams but I hung on (not easy) and with support from friends who had suffered too I retrained my thinking. Sertraline gave me space to do that. It is not a quick fix and you have to put the work in too and BELIEVE in recovery."

Kbowz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2017

"Stick with this medication and you will feel better within 2-3 months! I was very skeptical and afraid to take this medication after I read bad reviews on it, but I was tired of suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. I really wanted my life back and be 'normal.' I have been on Zoloft for now 8 months and I feel so much better! I'm seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist because I don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life."

La-la (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2017

"Nausea on taking first 50mg then again when increased to 100mg. Slight dizziness at times and prolonged lethargy with excessive sweating when exercising. Sexual function impaired slow erection and very slow or impossible orgasm."

Corky-loo (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2017

"I started this medication to treat my GAD. I had terrible diarrhea for the first four weeks, but I stuck it out with hopes of some relief. I did get some slight relief from the anxiety, but I went into a deep depression that I had never experienced before. I tried increased dosage as well as add ons. I only got worse depression and only slight relief from the anxiety. I had a lot of dark thoughts. I lasted on it for 5 months and finally demanded to switch to another medication . For me this was not a good experience. My doctor kept me on it too long, in my opinion. I lost 5 months of my life and still am struggling to find another medicine that works for me. Lost 20lbs during the misery."

JJ120 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2017

"I posted here 2 weeks ago about this drug. I am now posting an update. Yes for the 1st 4 days it gave me my life back except for drowsiness. I switched to taking it at night and insomnia for 3 nights. Very little sleep. Switched back to mornings then. Drowsiness went away. Anxiety is back with a vengeance and it's interfering with my heart rate. I have been on a medication for 7 years for an irregular heat rate. I am 63 yrs and on week 3 of generic Zoloft and will ask Dr to put me on something else soon as my next appointment is Oct 3. The side effects are only getting worse and not better. I've been on these type of drugs for 20 years. I've tried numerous ones. For those of you that this drug works, great and congrats!"

PS cat lady September 20, 2017

"Since my twenties I would have anxiety from time to time. In 2003 my mother passed away and my anxiety came on to the extent that I thought about suicide. My Dr put me on Sertraline, a packet to start 12.5mg, 25mg, and then 50mg. While the first 2 or 3 weeks I still had some anxiety, and for maybe a month or so my emotions were flat, eventually I felt normal again. I can even drive on the interstate without fear after years of struggle. I have been on Sertraline for 14 years now, and although I still have some issues with sleep, I feel normal most of the time. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust, so hang in there if you can."

McPhyl (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2017

"Reading through all of the reviews I wanted to share my experience. I was extremely depressed and borderline agoraphobic and didn't really want to leave the house. So I started Sertraline in conjunction with Xanax and therapy. Sertraline at the beginning was very very tough. Very activating, trouble sleeping, increased anxiety, strange tingling sensations in my arms. Yes I wanted to give up. Yes I wanted to rage against how I was feeling. But somehow I stuck with it because frankly I didn't know what else to do as my life was already untenable. Started with 50mg for a month, not much help then 100mg for 6 weeks, started coming out of my funk (and I mean torturous funk), then recently switched to 150mg and feeling better and better."

JoWilli (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017

"I have been on Zoloft for almost 5 months and I can honestly say it has saved me and and made my life brighter in so many ways. I was really struggling with GAD and panic attacks for about 3 years before I began and was struggling to cope, which felt very isolating. Zoloft has made me more feel more at ease, I feel more productive and motivated every day and far less irritated and impatient, to just name a couple of the benefits. I wish I hadn't waited so long to start (I was afraid of side effects), but I'm happy to say I'm feeling so much better. The side effects are difficult, I won't lie, for me they lasted about a month. I mostly just felt tired and spaced out and not very hungry. They do disappear however and it's so worth it."

Natalieeeeeee August 1, 2017

"I was in the darkest place I had ever been before taking Zoloft. I was on Prozac prior, and I would have 3 to 4 panic attacks a day. I would go to to class and need to excuse myself so I could scream and cry about how I would lose everything if I failed out of university, my family, my fraternity brothers, my reputation etc. I am so grateful my GP prescribed this to me. The first few days, all I wanted to do was sleep. I took about 1 week to get any sort of reaction. I was finally able to focus on school and relax/ play video games. I haven't had a single panic attack since starting this medication, and I couldn't be happier! My friends and family all noticed the difference too!"

Satoshikun July 14, 2017

"I started sertraline 50mg nearly a year ago, I was very stressed constantly! Shouting at the kids for silly things, I hated myself and was always looking at the stuff I didn't have!! Very moody and miserable and this started affecting my relationship! I went to the doctors and she gave me sertraline, I did not have any side effects other than a unsettled stomach for a week or so. I started seeing improvements in the first week! It completely changed my outlook on life and I am so happy now and can enjoy the simple things in life again.. would highly recommend this drug!"

Lisajones12e345678 July 13, 2017

"It's helped my life. I am more focused, more balanced, want to go out more, and I am eating healthier and exercising, which results in the weight loss. Only downside is that if I forget to take it for even one day, my depression comes right back at me and I am in bed all day."

Alia8744 July 12, 2017

"I've been on 175mg Sertraline for 3 weeks now. The first two weeks were not great with heightened anxiety on some days, some brain fog but I also experienced some good days. My depression lifted almost completely. I started at 25mg 10 weeks ago and slowly moved up. Each time I moved up a experienced the heightened anxiety and brain fog. The last 5 days I have been feeling much better. I wake up with anxiety and nervousness which I believe is now just a habit I have to change but the anxiety lifts much faster than previous. I'm going to report back in a few weeks but I would say I'm already 80% better."

PaulMartin16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2017

"I've only just started taking Sertraline 50mgs today. I've been on amitriptyline 25mg for last week to help me sleep at night and help during the day but hasn't done much. At the moment I'm unable to go out of my street with out having panic attacks. I've not been anywhere for over a month now apart from Dr's having to get taxis there instead of bus as can't cope with being out. How soon will I notice any difference with this medicine. As I need to get out and about again for my daughter's sake (she's almost 3) until last 2 months I was always out and about with her. I'm meant to be going away next weekend for a big family get together for my parents 70th birthdays but way I am I can't go. Will meds kick in b4 next Friday?"

Sezmaya June 16, 2017

"I have only been sertraline for a week and already I feel so much more relaxed generally. The only side effect I have noticed so far is bloating. Did anybody else experience this?"

Jean 3684 (taken for less than 1 month) June 13, 2017

"I have not found that I have any side effects from this but I notice a huge difference in my mental health. Actually, my boyfriend wasn't really a believer in antidepressants but when he saw the change in me when I started taking these, he completely switched sides. Some people really do need them. I'm so glad I got on this, I feel so much better."

Kirstin123456 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 28, 2017

"My doctor prescribed me 25mg of sertraline after 2 years of trying to manage my depression and anxiety without medication. So far, it's given me headaches, made me tired all the time, and I have found my sex drive to disappear. It's been one week, and I've had a few bad days and panic attacks, but I know from reading other's experiences and from what my doctor said to give it at least 4 weeks to feel the effects. I am hopeful that this medication will help me despite the rocky start!"

anxiousqueer (taken for less than 1 month) May 3, 2017

"I've now been on sertraline for over 8 months. These 8 months have been some of the best months of my life. I no longer wake up filled with dread, but rather I feel vitality to get on with my day. My grades at university have improved as I feel more relaxed and able to focus. I have made many great friends and had plenty of good times. That being said, it is also crucial that you do more than just take the drugs. Getting plenty of exercise, eating healthily and meditating also helps, and of course going outside! Although some of the side effects can be frustrating, I find them well worth it compared to a life without the medication. For anyone suffering from anxiety and reading this, go see a doctor, there really is a way out."

SteveCake (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2017

"I am prescribed generic Zoloft (Sertraline) 50mg once a day for anxiety and depression. I am sensitive to drugs so I only take half, 25mg. Since I've been on it, I've only had one or two mild panic attacks over the course of 2 years! I was having attacks 3x a week or more before taking it. It helped reduce compulsive behaviors and definitely helped my social anxiety issues IMMENSELY. Before Sertraline, I felt like I couldn't even act normal in public. For me, there is a mental as well as a physical effect. Even being in public spaces where I would normally be incredibly anxious, I feel physically better, smoother. The only side effect was a light headache that only lasted the first week. I would definitely recommend starting on a low dose!"

Elizabeth Knox April 22, 2017