User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline has an average rating of 7.7 out of 10 from a total of 175 ratings for the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder. 72% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.7/10 average rating

Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline

Evaly · Taken for 6 months to 1 year December 23, 2020

“First off if you’re reading this and you are in a dark place and just started taking this I want you to know that you are so strong. I was once where you were and I was afraid the medicine wasn’t going to work or make a big difference and that I’d be stuck like this forever. The side effects were bad and it took a couple months for it to fully kick in. About 4 months went by and it worked to its full potential one day out of the blue. It really saved me life bc I couldn’t function and didn’t want to live. Life seemed so hopeless but with this medicine I actually enjoy getting up certain days now. You are so strong and you have to hang in because the light at the end of the tunnel will be so rewarding. You may not see it right now but I promise you it works and you gotta hang in there for a while. You got this❤️❤️❤️”

Hopps July 8, 2021

“I’ve always dealt with anxiety which I’ve dealt with on my own until a stressful job and the COVID pandemic I started getting panic attacks and just cry hysterically out of no where. Finally after day two of my husband calling out of work to stay with me, I told him I needed help. My PCP started me on 50 mg sertraline after diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder. The first week was awful. I had every side effect under the sun. Sleep was hard to come by. I pretty much was bed bound the first week except to get up and shower. I had to push myself to take care of the dogs or eat. My anxiety was 100 times worse. I knew that it was to be expected and the medicine takes weeks to feel the effects. I was determined to stick with it. I’m glad I did. After a week each day I felt better. It’s been a year since I started it and I feel amazing. I never realized how crummy anxiety made me feel until now! If you are having a tough time starting it, don’t give up. It will get better.”

Spooky May 22, 2020

“I’m an anxious person and self managed for many years. After 12 months of struggling, I finally decided to take meds. Beforehand I poured through all the side effect information/experiences, worrying! I just want to say... wish I’d done it sooner. Side effects lasted 4 weeks, worst in the first 2. Make you feel a bit rubbish: headaches, nausea, jaw tightness, insomnia...brain Fog and brain fizzes that feel a bit like an anxiety/panic attacks (come in waves and pass in an hour) It *all* goes away eventually! I worked whilst starting this drug & didn’t need any time off - don’t worry. You will feel back to normal by week 4! On my 5th week and I’ve begun to notice the difference. There’s still a bit of rumination, but the restlessness is gone. The last week I’ve felt happier and dare I say it braver than before! If you’re reading this, worrying about the side effects...Trust me, it really isn’t that bad. Be patient - you will get there!”

MsAng · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2021

“I been dealing with extreme anxiety, depression and panic attacks for years thinking I could manage on my own I refused to take drugs. But these recent yrs a lot happened, I got caught COVID which left me traumatized, and recently my father passed away, I got to a dark place! It started affecting my work going back to the office really did it for me. I didn’t want to go anywhere and any little thing I felt I though I was sick. Taking it made me feel better immediately didn’t get any bad side effects maybe some stomach pains the 1st week but immediately my mood changed, I didn’t cry everyday like before, I was more patient smiling again. I do have to say this past week I did start feeling anxiety build up I notice it happens more when I’m about to start my monthly. I mentioned it to my dr n upped my dose from 25 to 50mg. I haven’t started on them I will definitely update but I felt the need to write this review if you are hesitant like I was for years please know things do get better”

Aria · Taken for less than 1 month July 16, 2021

“I have been dealing with manageable anxiety for a few years until a few months ago then my allergy to pollen caused shortness of breathing that triggered a few panic attacks. I tried for a few weeks to stay away from meds but my anxiety and racing thoughts got worse. I started with 10mg of Escitalopram but couldn’t take it more than two days due to the horrible reactions i.e. increased blood pressure, trembling hands and legs, and heart palpitations. I switched to Sertraline 25mg and my anxiety started to fade slowly and the appetite is back. I’m on day 10 and since yesterday my mood boosted significantly and racing thoughts almost disappeared. I am still dealing with side effects such as mild insomnia, dizziness, and low energy. It’s probably very early to judge but I am glad the med gave me some relief so far.”

lisalee33 February 3, 2021

“I was so worried about side affect as my anxiety is based around health anxiety. I have been on them 12 weeks so here is my side effects I had a week of needing a number two and needing to go immediately it was very loose. I had extreme tiredness which last 2 week and for the first 2 week I didn't have much of an appetite and I had night sweats which lasted the longest of all the side effects. At 5 week the only side effect I have is I find it takes me longer to climax. I sweat more that I used to. I have had 3 times were I have talk my self down from a panic attack - which is great considering before I was having a panic attack a day and I couldn't even talk myself down from one. Week 5 was my turning point felt amazing the things I worried about seemed a distant memory and I could function properly with out this worry on my sholders or working my self up resulting in a panic attack. Please be kind to your self I wish you all the best in your journey to better mental health”

Madkat · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 12, 2021

“I am on 50mg of sertraline. It did take a long time for the medicine to fully level out. I experienced some of the initial side effects: increased anxiety, insomnia, headaches, shakiness, jaw pain and dizziness. But all eventually went away after a month or so of use. My husband noticed a difference in me around week 4, but I didn’t really notice much of a change until week 6/7. Honestly, I wasn’t even sure the medicine was truly working until about 12 weeks in. I have had a lot of ups and downs, but the downs have been less often since about week 4. Now at a little over 14 weeks, I feel like things have really leveled out for me. I still feel emotions. I cry, I laugh, I joke around, I get excited for family outings. All of the normal feelings are back. I don’t feel emotionally blunted. The side effects can be tough in the beginning… and from my experience, the doors and windows don’t start to open very quickly. But once they do, it can feel really incredible.”

Debbie · Taken for less than 1 month July 9, 2021

“I was given a prescription for Zoloft starting at 12.5 mg and increasing it in seven days to 25 mg, after a week of taking 25 I did not feel good I dropped it back to 12.5 and I can honestly say my anxiety is almost gone, and I have had zero panic attacks, it’s been a full week again of being back on 12.5 Mg. I am going to be cautiously optimistic that this is actually going to be a game changer and I will start to feel better after years and years of trying so many different medication. I always felt that they were giving me much too high of a dose. Hope this might help somebody.”

megabs · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 10, 2021

“I suffer from anxiety and derealisation. This medication is a life saver. I rated it a 9 because the side effects are horrific. If you are just starting off please give it time. It took me 8 weeks to start to feel normal again. I would read all the reviews trying to find an answer but instead I put myself down reading the negative ones. Be patient and be kind to yourself, it is hard and you do feel like its never going to get better. I promise it will, hang in there. I was in such dark place but there is light at the end of the tunnel. Don't expect to feel better overnight it is such a gradual thing and it will take time but you will get there!! One thing I would say is don't bottle it up, if you are having a bad day, speak to someone don't let it feel like you are going backwards because everyone has bad days.”

Woo · Taken for less than 1 month October 2, 2020

“I have health anxiety due to illnesses in my family. When I get symptoms that mimic these illnesses, I tend to spiral into anxiety. In January 2019 my doctor prescribed Zoloft. I started at 25mg then bumped up to 50mg. I actually felt initial relief from my anxiety and only dealt with a few days of feeling numb. I had CT scans that showed nothing so I decided to stop the Zoloft after 1.5 months. I did great until the last few months. I decided to go back on Zoloft, remembering how well it worked last year. This time has been very different. My anxiety increased greatly for the first 23 days. Finally on day 24, yesterday, the anxiety is much better. I read reviews daily to remind myself that most people have this reaction and it will subside. Bonus, this has completely stopped my IBS symptoms, which I would have daily. My advice to those going through the same thing is to stick with it. Give it at least 4 weeks before you decide to discontinue. Well wishes to you all!”

nerissaergino June 7, 2021

“I am a pharmacy technician and been one for over a year now. I had developed GAD due to my job and it was then taking over my life and mental health. I started losing weight fast. Second time having an anxiety panic attack at work and got sent home early due to my body going to fight or flight mode. My doctor then quickly prescribed sertraline 25mg. Finally read all the reviews and it gave me so much hope that I wasn’t alone. For the first few days I had the runs every morning bad, increased anxiety all the time, insomnia in the morning, hot flashes during the night, some jaw clenching for the first two days. By week two all the side effects lifted. By week three I didn’t notice too much but my mood was so much better, I finally started eating happily, playing with my family more, sleeping well, and even working out! I finally feel normal again BUT better. Please know that you are not alone, and keep pushing. I am only taking 25mg and it really does make a difference!”

C May 22, 2020

“In my 20's, I started experiencing debilitating anxiety, onto panic attacks which then looped into depressive episodes. I thought I was losing my mind & wasn't sure how long I'd be able to hold onto this life for. I started fantasizing about dying & realized I really needed help. When I was first prescribed this medication I was in the darkest, scariest point in my life & I spent hours reading this thread. I was scared to take the medication for a month & finally convinced myself it was time for me to take my mental health seriously. Side effects for the first 3 days were definitely present but I did not feel worse than I was already feeling. I was dissociated, slightly dizzy, decreased hunger, increased in tiredness, dry mouth and emotional near the evenings. Now that I am on week 3 and the side effects have mostly subsided I can safely say I feel more control over my life & I am hopeful this medication continues to work for me as I enter therapy in the near future.”

lily3627 · Taken for 2 to 5 years June 10, 2021

“I was started on sertraline when I was 18 after 4/5 years of anxiety, depression and panic attacks. I was so scared to try it and me and my mum read through hundreds of these reviews. I’m now 21 and still on it and all I can say is wow. I started on 25mg and slowly worked up to 100mg over a few weeks by which time I started to feel better! I now have so much more confidence, I can relax, I rarely have panic attacks, low moods etc.. I feel like the best version of myself. I have struggled with some minor weight gain and fatigue since starting it but also have an under active thyroid so not sure I can even blame sertraline. Please give Sertraline a chance it saved me in so many ways.”

There's hope!! Read this! October 29, 2014

“Just a few weeks ago I was reading all these reviews in tears. I am a 36 yr old mother of two & suddenly I started having panic attacks. I was so scared to start taking Zoloft because I thought it would "change" me, or make me feel "off." This was SO not the case! I tried everything natural I could first-- but I was still having anxiety regularly. I was also having negative thoughts that I could not stop, I would have to actively try not to think about certain things, and I really struggled with that. I have been on Zoloft about 2 weeks and all of that has stopped! I feel happy! I didn't even realize I had been in a funk, I feel so so SO much better now. To anyone reading this, you're not alone, it can and will get better!”

Eilidh December 16, 2019

“I was started on 50mgs sertraline four weeks ago and now increased to 100mgs. So far I have been delighted with the response I’ve had. I feel so much calmer and happier (although feel I’ve still a way to go) and to be honest the side effects have not been bad at all. A bit of nausea which was bearable and a little increased anxiety. My GP said that the fact I am getting some positive results by week 4 is a really good sign and she gave me the choice of staying on 50mgs to see how much I improved in the next couple of weeks or just bite the bullet and try 100mgs - which I’ve done. I have also been drinking some alcohol some nights which is absolutely fine. There is no interaction at all. I just want to be back to normal. I’ve had so much stress in the last few years that I’ve lost my personality, and I can’t wait to get it back and to be happy and fun again. Definitely feel like I’m on the way! ”

Bspann · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 6, 2020

“I have been dealing with generalized anxiety on and off since I was 10 years old. I finally decided to take medication for treatment. My doctor started me off with 25mg sertraline (Zoloft). The next day I felt normal but it was weird to me because I didn’t know what normal felt like. The only side effects I experienced were vivid dreams, they weren’t bad dreams just vivid, nausea the first two days but after that no nausea. No dizziness. I experienced little to no side effects however the anxiety hasn’t completely gone away but it’s come a long wayyy only because I refused to take the 50 mg she prescribed. I just feel great where I’m at taking the 25 mg and I don’t want to over do it. This medication has changed my life completely. I haven’t taken it in a couple of days and I can tell the difference.”

rambogif March 2, 2021

“To all the people reading the reviews, hesitating about taking the medication and looking for a valid reason to (or not to) start: 2 years ago (at 32 y/o) I had crippling anxiety - constant panic attacks, going to the emergency room on a weekly basis for over a year because I was always so sure that I was having a heart attack. I sat with the medication for 4 months, worried about starting it. Afraid of the side effects, that it would alter my mind, the stigma, the possibility that it wouldn't work and that it would make my irreversibly depressed.. I had no reason to be afraid of the side effects - I experienced slight headaches and perhaps mild dizziness for the first couple of weeks. 2 years on and I have my life back. It takes a while to start working with your body and it's hard to notice it working it's magic; but if you stick it out...you too could find yourself looking back and thanking this little pill for letting your mind think clearly again. Best wishes to you all!”

Cdh · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 14, 2020

“After being on Prozac and seroxat in the past my doctor asked me to consider sertraline for GAD and panic attacks. The first 10 days were awful, upset stomach, dry mouth, agitated on waking, worsening of panic attacks and anxiety, I was at the point of going back to my doctors when on day 11 I woke up and just felt a bit better. A week later I was much calmer, my heart palpitations had stopped, I started to eat normally again, and 4 weeks later I now feel significantly better and more like myself, haven't had a panic attack for weeks even when I was in a situation that would normally trigger one. I'm sure this medication isn't for everyone but don't give up on it too early.”

Max99 · Taken for less than 1 month May 27, 2021

“I started taking 50mg Sertraline just over 2 weeks ago due to suspected panic disorder and generalised anxiety. The first few days were strange, I felt wired and couldn’t sleep barely at all and kept clenching my jaw, had a bad case of the runs too. This levelled out pretty quickly however (about day 5) and now I feel much better, I felt a noticeable difference by a week and now into my second week my anxiety is near non-existent, I was shocked how quickly it made a difference for me. The first few days were scary though but I tried exercise to get me through it. If I carry on feeling this way then I highly recommend sertraline for anyone suffering from the same, that being said it is different for everyone.”

Spooky March 27, 2021

“An update - started sertraline 12 months ago (50mg) after my anxiety started to interfere with my ability to work. Triggered by my brother dying and then me getting Covid. Avoided pills like the plague up until then for fear of them changing me. The first 4 weeks were tricky - but manageable. After 3 months I felt settled, if not slightly numb. Still a few up and downs along the way, but 12 months down the line I feel... stronger. I respect myself and the journey I’ve been on a lot more. Sertraline is my little coat of armour - it makes me feel braver. I speak up more, I second guess my emails less, I rarely ruminate and I’m much more open about my experiences - and that helps others around me. I’ve thrived at work because of this and been promoted - please try not to worry about the side effects and go with it. You won’t look back :-)”

Mollie November 15, 2019

“Sertraline/Zoloft has saved me. I can get out of bed in the morning and not feel completely anxiety ridden. Prior to Zoloft, I could not get out of my own head, I would go out to dinner with my family and could gaze off into the distance, completely depressed and anxious and stress about work, kids, chores, LIFE. When you have GAD, you are anxious about everything. People tell you “it’s not a big deal, snap out of it, etc.” BUT to you - everything little thing is everything and could have a ripple effect and the worst case scenario is always possible. I went on Zoloft at a point where I reached a breaking point and needed help. The first few weeks, I noticed little change. By week 3, something switched. I was able to LIVE. I explained to my Dr. that I was feeling much better but having trouble concentrating so I was upped to 50mg. I felt like the person I wanted to be. DON’T give up if it doesn’t work in the first few weeks - give it a month! Almost gave up, glad I did not.”

dben · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 3, 2013

“I have always been an anxious person. I have done okay with life's normal challenges, but the underlying anxiety was always there and I was constantly struggling against it. I just lived with it. If it got especially bad, I took Xanax or Ativan, but you can't use those long term. Finally I let the doc prescribe sertraline. (My husband had been set against it-he thought if I exercised more, all this would go away....but I couldn't exercise more....my anxiety made me tired all the time). Once I got past the first three weeks and started to see the difference, I was amazed. No more repeating thoughts, mantras going around in my head, no more feeling lonely and like I have no friends, no more dread of simple things.”

SleepEasy February 18, 2021

“For me, a life saver! Yes, I had the night sweats, the vivid dreams, the urine frequency, the dizziness and nausea for the first few months. But here's the rub, I would do it a thousand times over for how well I feel now. I started taking 50mg sertraline for crushing anxiety in December 2019. I am a 37 year old female and my confidence and my judgement in my work was rock bottom. I over analyzed and panicked about everything for over a decade. But I hid it very well at work! I would've tried anything to not feel so exhausted and ground down by incessant worrying. My body took about two months to get used to the drug. But things, me, my mind, started to feel calmer and I felt more in control as the months progressed. Now, I feel together, content and at peace I have not felt since I was a child! In truth? I wish I had started taking this medication years ago. Anxiety robbed me of my sense of peace and sense of self. Will I come off it? Within the year hopefully, but if needs be, I will stay on it!”

a happy midwife · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 30, 2015

“Hi people, I've been following these comments for a couple months, they helped me so much. I had to write in about my experience with Zoloft 50mg for panic and anxiety. First, you have to stick with it for ***8 weeks*** minimum. I had terrible side effects for 4 weeks, increased panic and anxiety and insomnia. I also lost 10 lbs, felt like my metabolism increased. At just about 4 weeks, side effects-gone. At 8 weeks I feel so relaxed and panic-free. It is AMAZING, wow. So this is what you are supposed to feel like! If you have a stressful job like me, I don't have time for anxiety and panic. I am also doing talk therapy and meditation. I sleep great..I do use medicinal herb for sleep every night. I am completely off of benzos!”

Jamie December 17, 2019

“Some history: I was initially prescribed 50mg of Sertraline about 7 years ago after being diagnosed with GAD & SAD. It helped me manage the anxiety. I had no side effects. Eventually I got lazy & would forget to take it for days, weeks, or months. Again no side effects. About 5 weeks ago I restarted the meds (after months off) & was fine for the first few days but started to feel EXTREMELY anxious. I was awakened in the middle of the night with feelings of deep panic which i'd never experienced before. I went to my Dr to discuss coming off the meds again but he persuaded me to continue. The next few weeks was a nightmare. I thought I was going mad and would never recover. It was only through the support of my partner & reading others' experiences here that gave me the strength to push through and have some sense of hope. Week 4 I finally started to feel mostly 'normal' again, and now in week 5 I have not experienced any of the terrible anxiety of previous weeks.”

Learn more about Generalized Anxiety Disorder