User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 15 medications used in the treatment of Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline

"From a male point of view sertraline =chemical castration certainly defeats the object it's making anxiety worse"

Bonza (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2019

"Took this medication over 2 years. It is a horrible drug - did nothing for anxiety, depression, made my moods worse and increased some hideous dark thoughts. Take with caution. I took a while coming off this drug. From past experience do not take any form antidepressants for conditions such as cyclothtmia, mild bi polar it makes you feel worse in my opinion but everyone different."

lew85x (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2019

"After I received a prescription for this it took me 10 months to finally take it because I was terrified of side effects. The very first day I took it I was on this site scrolling through these reviews trying to find hope. After week 7 my mood slowly started rising and I felt like the depression was lifting. I am now on week 16 and back to my old self! I just can't believe that 4 months ago I thought my life was over to now feeling amazing! But I want to mention that I have been working on myself in other ways, in addition to this medication I meditate daily, exercise, do yoga, read self-help books, and listen to anxiety podcasts. I just didn't want to give all the credit to Zoloft but it gave me a bridge to be able to focus and learn on how to manage my anxiety better. I really want to reiterate that it takes a while for this to kick in (my peak was week 14) so be patient. I am so glad I became brave enough to finally take it! Only side effect is hot flashes. Best of luck everyone!"

GAD/Depression sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2018

"I thought I should chime in here to give people some hope. I was on 30 mg of Lexapro (Cipralex in Canada) for 8 years. It started slowly pooping out over the course of a year, and by this past spring, I thought I was in the depths of despair. At the end of July, I switched to Zoloft 25mg while going down to 25mg of Cipralex. My psychiatrist has been upping the Zoloft very very slowly. A couple of weeks later, I went up to 50mg of Zoloft and down to 20mg of Cipralex. That wasn't doing a heck of a lot either. Then by September, I went up to 75mg of Zoloft combined with 20mg of Cipralex. I felt like I was crawling out of my skin with anxiety, but after about 6 weeks on this particular cocktail, it was like I was a new person. Try and stick this out. It takes awhile to kick in."

Frances November 3, 2018

"As someone else stated. This drug saved my life. I would probably be in a psychiatric ward if I hadn’t started sertraline when I did. I have had only two short bouts of anxiety since I started taking sertraline a year and a half ago, I feel normal again. No side effects, just happiness."

Ella (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 11, 2018

"Don't expect this medication to work within a week or two. Don't even think that you are getting the full results until you reach AT LEAST 3-4 weeks. Also, do not drink any alcohol or take any party drugs, as I did, they will completely negate this ssri. I wasted 5 years in this trap so I know! Had no benefit from ssri but was a mess instead. Once I went clean is when I finally got "good the effects". I've taken 4-5 different SSRIs and I can tell you for sure, they have never helped with panic attacks. HOWEVER, for general anxiety it definitely made significant decrease in that feeling of danger "in my gut" when waking up each morning change in the anxiety department(which is huge! When you have anxiety you will take ANY relief you can get). Also, for depression it works. I'm not saying I'm the happiest man in the world or anything but its like going from 10% to 60%(which is huge)."

anony September 30, 2018

"I have GAD & sertraline turned my life around. For those of you in the early stages, I know its tough but powering thru is the best thing for you to do. I initially started on 25mg for 1wk, then had to decrease for the next wk (bc I'm small and the effects were too much). The first 2 days I felt great, then plateaued, felt super lethargic and couldn't eat a thing. After those initial 2 wks, it started to stabilize more but I had ups and downs. My 7th wk I finally got the full effects of the medication and my obsessive thinking and anxiety were easier to manage. I'm now over 6 months in on 150mg and it is def the right dose for me. I don't wake up irritated in the morning, my anxiety attacks have lessened and I'm able to control stress better than ever before. I gave the meds an 8/10 is bc it is NOT a CURE. A lot of people think these little pills will cure your mental illness, but it simply helps in managing it. If you are advised to take this med by a specialist stick with it thru"

RitaJ September 30, 2018

"This medicine is insanely good. You don't realise how much anxiety controls your life until it's gone (or at least minimal, I still get natural anxiety) ... I finally feel like I can start living my life to its full potential. That said, the first month or so on Sertraline was a bit of a nightmare and it did heighten my anxiety quite a bit for that period. But thankfully after about a month or so that went away and it actually started working really well! I'm only on 50mg and it's made a tremendous difference to my life. For people considering trying it - definitely fight through the increased anxiety at the beginning, it does get better and it's definitely worth it!"

Ellen (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 22, 2018

"I have been on Zoloft for eight weeks now and apart from early headaches, irregular sleeping pattern and diminished libido, this has had a significant positive impact on my life in relation to my melancholy which had ruled every waking moment. It's not a magic bullet but I am feeling happier and more content. My blood sugar levels are perfect, I've lost weight, stopped chewing my fingernails and I've done nothing other than take this medication. I've tried various other meds with no success but this one, so far, has been wonderful. I take 50mg daily."

Ceasar (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 1, 2018

"Ok, been on Sertraline now for 6 weeks. Initially started on 25mg and side effects were pretty bad. I increased to 50mg after 3 weeks side effects were bad after initial increase. Now I have been told by GP to go up to 75mg - which I did this evening and just had a panic attack - first time in 6 weeks...coincidence? I think not...and my GP wants me to go up to 100mg when I'm ready!"

Nursie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2018

"Started Sertraline 25mg five days ago for long standing anxiety. Had previously been on Citalopram which gave me horrendous side effects at the start. Now on day 5 of Sertraline, supposed to go up to 50mg but staying at 25mg as I had a bad night last night...felt really nauseous, anxious, stomach pain, loose poo (not diarrhoea) and woke after a short sleep...with sweat pouring off me and I was terrified! This lasted from 2:45 to 3:45. I had to phone NHS direct...and did eventually calm down. Spent most of day anxious and wondering if I should stop or keep going. I am also on Propranolol 40mg for headaches and Ramipril 5mg for hypertension..and I'm premenopausal and due soon. Life is pretty awful right now. I just hope this is as bad as it gets and I don't have another night like last night. I'm NOT allergic to sertraline as all I described are listed as common side effects"

Nursie (taken for less than 1 month) July 15, 2018

"I've struggled with anixety for 15 years and Sertraline was the last hope after 18 months of talk therapy, CBT and mindfulness training. I felt a failure when the doctor advised to go onto these tables due to the stigma and effort not to lean on tablets as a crutch. I regret my hesitation as I could have saved years of suffering. Its been 8 weeks on 50mg and I'm starting to rebuild my life and make plans for the future. I'm starting to trust my thoughts which used to be scrambled and my emotions are more in control, thank goodness :-) The stigma can hold people back but once you take the plunge that concern will fall to one side and I no longer care what people think who haven't been in the same fight battling through each anxiety episode hoping to make it through the day without causing too much damage. This medication may not be right for everyone and you may have to try a different one but it's worth finding your tablet cure as they can work wonders in getting you back to yourself"

Jodie May 31, 2018

"I am on Day 7 of 25mg Sertraline. My anxiety has skyrocketed. I went from having to take an occasional Lorazepam 0.25 mg to needing two 0.5mg pills per day just to function. I have woken up from naps twice in a panic. I wake up nights with anxiety. I just feel like a mess. I just don't know if I should keep pushing through to see if it gets better. This is so hard. I read other reviews and stories about waiting it out. My new Psychiatric NP is away for another week. The fill in person said that I should break the pill in half to do 12.5mg until my next appt. next week. I feel so rubbishy and scared."

amandaf111 (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2018

"I started on 50mg this drug took me to hell so I snapped the tablets in half so I was only having 25mg this was still horrible but after 3 week and 2 stone in weight lost I started to feel my old self but I still was not 100% so it was upped to 100mg this was also a problem for me but I don’t give up on anything. I was having 75mg one day and 100mg every other day this worked and a year on my life is fantastic and I don’t worry about anything .Don’t give up when you first start out - it’s horrible but it does get better. Three weeks is a long time when you are at day 1. I was scared of leaving the house and I was being sick could not eat Sorry about my spelling as I’m better at plumbing than spelling"

Plumber (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2018

"I have had horrid anxiety, of all kinds, since I was very young and my doctor finally prescribed me sertraline. I suffer from anorexia, OCD, social anxiety, depression and possibly the worst panic attacks. After 2 1/2 years I’m now on 100mg and I still have attacks quite often, but they aren’t as bad as they used to be so I think it’s kind of working. I would recommend for someone who has moderate anxiety. I haven’t had any major side effects, but I did have trouble sleeping in the beginning."

Sofia April 2, 2018

"I suffered from panic attacks in June 2016 then GAD came after with my depression, It took me almost a year before I sought help from the doctor. When I did he recommended me Zoloft started at 50mg for 7 days then 75mg for 14days and I'm now on 100mg week 6. The first month is pretty up and down, It does take at least 4 weeks to start feeling the meds working. Now I'm on week 6 and I really do feel like my life is coming back and I'm not worried or having negative thoughts as much. I can do things again I never thought I could. Zoloft is an awesome med just hang in there for a few months it sure does work."

Bon16 January 19, 2018

"Took Sertraline 8 years ago for 3-4 months due to anxiety and insomnia. Was able to start sleeping normally again. Voluntarily stopped taking because it made me fatigued and my blood sugar went up. Now taking 50 mg due to same problem. No alcohol involved this time but still have bad nausea and stuffy head after 1 wk. Supposed to go up to 100 mg. Had anyone started same medicine after several years? Will it work the same as before?"

jj 12 (taken for less than 1 month) January 9, 2018

"Have gone off and on this medicine a couple times, 50 mg for anxiety, especially social anxiety. Am just starting to go back on it for the third time because it’s been a month since I was off it and I’m back to having panic attacks. Only went off it to lose weight (it definitely makes me gain weight) but it is worth it to be on it for the peace of mind that I feel when I’m on it. I know a lot of people worry about losing or changing their personality when they go on medicine - but it makes me feel like “myself” only better. Everyone’s different but this could really help and work for you too."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 1, 2017

"I started on sertraline in April. I have had lifetime high functioning anxiety but an early menopause resulted in me having acute severe anxiety. I felt like I could not go out of the house. It was absolute torture. Today I gave a 3 page speech in front of 100's of people. I have my confidence back. It has been a rocky ride and I am still having bad days but my mind is clearer and I have not had a panic attack for a very long time. 2 weeks in I thought this is making me worse. I got a rash, teeth clenching and had vivid dreams but I hung on (not easy) and with support from friends who had suffered too I retrained my thinking. Sertraline gave me space to do that. It is not a quick fix and you have to put the work in too and BELIEVE in recovery."

Kbowz (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 28, 2017

"Stick with this medication and you will feel better within 2-3 months! I was very skeptical and afraid to take this medication after I read bad reviews on it, but I was tired of suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. I really wanted my life back and be 'normal.' I have been on Zoloft for now 8 months and I feel so much better! I'm seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist because I don't want to be on medication for the rest of my life."

La-la (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 19, 2017

"Nausea on taking first 50mg then again when increased to 100mg. Slight dizziness at times and prolonged lethargy with excessive sweating when exercising. Sexual function impaired slow erection and very slow or impossible orgasm."

Corky-loo (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2017

"I started this medication to treat my GAD. I had terrible diarrhea for the first four weeks, but I stuck it out with hopes of some relief. I did get some slight relief from the anxiety, but I went into a deep depression that I had never experienced before. I tried increased dosage as well as add ons. I only got worse depression and only slight relief from the anxiety. I had a lot of dark thoughts. I lasted on it for 5 months and finally demanded to switch to another medication . For me this was not a good experience. My doctor kept me on it too long, in my opinion. I lost 5 months of my life and still am struggling to find another medicine that works for me. Lost 20lbs during the misery."

JJ120 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 4, 2017

"I posted here 2 weeks ago about this drug. I am now posting an update. Yes for the 1st 4 days it gave me my life back except for drowsiness. I switched to taking it at night and insomnia for 3 nights. Very little sleep. Switched back to mornings then. Drowsiness went away. Anxiety is back with a vengeance and it's interfering with my heart rate. I have been on a medication for 7 years for an irregular heat rate. I am 63 yrs and on week 3 of generic Zoloft and will ask Dr to put me on something else soon as my next appointment is Oct 3. The side effects are only getting worse and not better. I've been on these type of drugs for 20 years. I've tried numerous ones. For those of you that this drug works, great and congrats!"

PS cat lady September 20, 2017

"Since my twenties I would have anxiety from time to time. In 2003 my mother passed away and my anxiety came on to the extent that I thought about suicide. My Dr put me on Sertraline, a packet to start 12.5mg, 25mg, and then 50mg. While the first 2 or 3 weeks I still had some anxiety, and for maybe a month or so my emotions were flat, eventually I felt normal again. I can even drive on the interstate without fear after years of struggle. I have been on Sertraline for 14 years now, and although I still have some issues with sleep, I feel normal most of the time. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust, so hang in there if you can."

McPhyl (taken for 10 years or more) August 30, 2017

"Reading through all of the reviews I wanted to share my experience. I was extremely depressed and borderline agoraphobic and didn't really want to leave the house. So I started Sertraline in conjunction with Xanax and therapy. Sertraline at the beginning was very very tough. Very activating, trouble sleeping, increased anxiety, strange tingling sensations in my arms. Yes I wanted to give up. Yes I wanted to rage against how I was feeling. But somehow I stuck with it because frankly I didn't know what else to do as my life was already untenable. Started with 50mg for a month, not much help then 100mg for 6 weeks, started coming out of my funk (and I mean torturous funk), then recently switched to 150mg and feeling better and better."

JoWilli (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2017