User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft worked AWESOME for my extreme anxiety and major depression. It worked for many years but eventually (as all good things do), it stopped working as well and once my dosage couldn't go any higher, I had to start the whole process of finding the right medication and the right "cocktail" for me. Again, I'd like to reiterate that Zoloft SAVED MY LIFE for MANY YEARS and only had to stop talking bc after about 7-10 years I guess my body didn't continue to respond like it used to."

MaryKrazy1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Have been on 50mg a day for over 3 months now. At first I noticed nothing, and then had some bad side effects which made me want to come off them (weaned off pregablin before going on this - which was the most horrific medicine!). My doctor told me to persevere and my anxiety had been so bad I decided to carry on taking the Sertraline. Now over 3 months on this drug has changed my life. It hasn't changed me as a person, the only way I act differently is that I feel content, happy and hopeful - something I haven't felt in so many years. Yes there is the anxiety demon still there as I'm still the same, but I am able to control it now."

Hrj* (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Was switching from 40mg of Celexa to 100mg of Zoloft. Felt great first two weeks. Then it was pure hell after that. I ended up with Serotonin syndrome during the switch. Ok. Gave the drug a good 8 weeks. Couldn't sleep. Was way too activating. Made me feel trapped in a constant state of anxiety and panic. Zaps in my fingers and toes. My children at one point asked if I was high because of the way I was acting. I couldn't even get a coherent thought out. The last day I took Zoloft I can't even remember I was so out of it. Not the drug for me. Those shouldn't persuade you from trying it as many of these meds are hit and miss."

Sc00bs (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started this medication in 2015 on 25mg for 2 weeks - it had no effect which was good as I also had no side effects (I was in a pretty bad place at the time as I had pnd, panic disorder and ptsd) so I wasn't expecting to feel better straight away. I was then increased to 50mg and started feeling a lot better after about a month. I then increased to 75mg - what I'm on now, and I can honestly say my life is just so much better!! The only side effect I have noticed is a bit of a fuzzy head if I don't take the meds at the same time every day. It is a medication that can take a few months to really show you it's benefits But it shouldn't make you worse -So like any drug... be careful and talk to your prescriber regularly!"

Sassymumma27 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Have been on for 8 days and feel absolutely horrible, way worse than when I was before the medication. Everyone tells me to push through but I would much rather experience anxiety than deal with these side effects. At a loss."

Kjurg (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Took 100 mg daily for over 10 years and it did nothing to take care of the problems I explained to my doctor. Every time I advised my doctor it wasn't working he increased the dosage but never did it relieve my panic, tremor or social anxiety disorder. Feeling I no longer wanted to take it for these reasons they refused to help me get off it so I did it by myself over several months and had severe withdrawal panics. I had suicidal thoughts and attempts but why should a person take a medication that doesn't help with the problem."

PSFri February 6, 2017

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "HELLO world, Writing a review cause 'Im just like you scrolling thru, I wanted to share my experience with this medicine, first things first this DOES NOT work right away it takes about a month or two For me at least to kick in, so do not stop after like a week unless you have horrible side effects. I satrted from 20mg all the way to 100mg. Helps a lot with S.A , G.A.D and depression, and as well as Agoraphobia Panic attacks are gone, Still get anxious but a normal nervousness not overwhelming, no more crying spells.. This Medicine won't Cure Mental Illness but it definitely HELPS! %u2764%u2764%u2764%u2764" Give it a Try, & always keep ya head up! ! if it doesn't work you can always keep trying other SSRI's that will help your everyday life!"

Quest. (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2017

13 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Life saver. Few side effects initially (increased depression and anxiety, decreased appetite, insomnia and agitation), no side effects long term. Push through those horrible first two weeks. At week three my depression was GONE, agitation completely gone, panic attacks gone. Some general anxiety, But that subsided after a couple of month. I was on this medication for a year, and got of it with little to no withdrawal symptoms. I STRONGLY recommend starting as low as 12.5 mg for a week, then 25 for a week. Cut the 25 mg tablets in half. This eases those horrible initial side effects, especially anxiety and agitation. Big hugs and high five to all of you anxiety/depression suffers out there. You can and you Will get better!"

Danishgirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2017

28 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been on 50mg Zoloft for 2 weeks now. I confidently say this medication is the best thing that has ever happened to me since living my life controlled by anxiety and horrendous panic. It was the right decision because I'm starting to finally see that I'm getting my life back to how I was before. The side effects are not great like lack of appetite, nausea etc. But they pass after a week or two and all these bad reviews that you see are people not giving this medication a chance to kick in and work. It takes time and I respect that it might not effect everyone how it has me but I can say without Zoloft I don't think I would have ever got better because no reassurance from family members was helping it was the extra push I needed."

Jack27765 January 27, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft, for me, has been a wonder drug. It worked incredibly well for me in combating anxiety associated with Post Natal Depression. Initially I had the shakes and dry mouth and a little dizziness, but that passed after a couple of weeks. I highly recommend sticking with the side effects and trying it for at least 8 weeks. From being almost bed bound, I completed a nursing degree, got a great job and am raising 2 kids as a single Mum. I found keeping busy the helps with my anxiety. CBT and Zoloft were, however, the most effective treatments for keeping panic at bay."

1968Wookiee January 26, 2017

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Ok so this is my first review. I had been suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks for about 5 months it completely changed my life for the worse. I stopped all the things I used to enjoy I didn't go to the gym and I wasn't physically active. I felt safe in my room not socialising as this did not cause me to panic. However it was a downward spiral from there. The reason that I felt safe at first was because my anxiety was from my heart beating fast and I was always aware of it ( weird right.) I wanted to avoid all things that would trigger my panic attacks. gotta cut it short so I took 50 mg zoloft and after the first day I haven't had one single panic attack and feel 10x better. I still have a little anxiety but only on my 5th day."

Jack__ January 22, 2017

26 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started Zoloft 13 days ago. I have terrible anxiety and panic disorder. My anxiety was getting so bad that I could no longer go to work, be around friends, or even my boyfriend. I'd have at least 1-4 panic attacks a day. I have always been terrified of being on medicine because I have a fear of feeling high or feeling a little off (which sends me into a full blown panic attack) Up until yesterday, I felt heightened anxiety after starting the pills (25mg for the first week, 50mg by week two), extremely exhausted, my sleep patterns have been totally off...BUT yesterday, I felt good. I didn't have a panic attack all day. And today, I got into a situation that made me start to feel an attack coming on and I was able to rationalize and stop it"

Laureneliz December 17, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've had panic disorder with agoraphobia for years now and have been going through medications, trying to find the right medicine and dose. Zoloft (the generic of Zoloft) was the third medication I've tried. I started at a lower dose and went up to a dose of 100 mg daily. I had no significant side effects on the lower dose, but experienced bad side effects at the higher dose, such as night sweats, very dry mouth, and issues in thought (such as losing my train of thought fairly frequently). I weaned off slowly and experienced flu like body aches for a couple of weeks as I came off of it. I don't recall any benefit that I got from being on this drug. Unfortunately, this medicine did not work for me."

QwertyBird (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2016

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"This pills are horrible!!! Stomach pain is extremely strong!!! I wake-up in the middle of the night with shortness of breath and tachycardia. I feel more depressed! Very Tired, sleepy, drowsiness, nausea & so much more."

Moon1234 (taken for less than 1 month) December 7, 2016

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on this drug after a traumatic experience that brought my anxiety up further than it ever had been. It helped take the edge off for the first few weeks during the summer, yet after a month into university when everything became stressful again, I stopped seeing results. I went up to 50mg after being on 25mg and I felt absolutely awful. I felt like I was trapped in a box but had to cary the weight of it everywhere. Functioning became harder and harder and I wasn't myself. I went back down and immidietly felt like I did after being on no medication. However at this point I started feeling depressed and suicidal, things that are not usual for me. Now I am beginning to try Fluvoxamine and hopefully it can fix what Zoloft caused."

bballgirl96 December 6, 2016

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I started off with 25mg for my anxiety & dep. for two weeks and then upped my dose to 50mg First couple of days I felt high anxiety (probably because I scared myself by reading too much online comments) For 3-4 weeks I experienced nausea when yawning ( it made me yawn a lot) , no appetite, decrease in sex drive, and hard time reaching an orgasm. Although the side affects seem bad they were bearable. I'm glad I didn't give up. I feel a lot better, my anxiety decreased, my motivation to live increased, I'm a lot happier and I engage into conversations more. I'm very happy for trying Zoloft and can't wait till it improves my life even more. Try it! It'll save your life !"

ExAnxietywrack November 29, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"Hi all, after reading mixed reviews online on antidepressants I was apprehensive the drug could actually work. I was experiencing panic attacks that lasted all day, I was started on 50mg straight away and experience increased panic for the first 4 days but no other side effects. From day 5 panic attacks are almost non existent, it really is a wonderful drug, just stick to it and remember it will get better with time."

AllDayPanic November 25, 2016

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've had wicked panic attacks, anxiety and now panic disorder. I've tried the breathing, distractions, calming music and all that. Only thing that really worked was praying and listening to Christian music. But that didn't do it completely so I went back to the Dr when my latest one caused me to lose my job. I was scared to death to try Zoloft after all the reviews saying things get worse before better and I naturally freak out any time I try any new medication. But, I've been on the 25 mg for about a week and just went to 50. I've had absolutely no side effects other than my brain trying to lie to me, if you know what I mean. I also take .50 mg Xanax with it and I take it at night so I believe that helps. I feel so much better."

StephenCW43 October 26, 2016

30 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I suffered from severe anxiety for years particularly social anxiety. Been on 100mg a day for about six months now. I feel like a new person now ,feel normal and calm and doing things I hadn't thought possible. For me this is a wonder medicine. Took weeks before I felt an improvement but well worth sticking with it. Don't want to stay on it long term but worried about stopping as I never want to go back to chronic anxiety again. I'm sure it's different for some people but I never felt better since taking Zoloft. Hope this helps"

MossieG October 25, 2016

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was put on Sertraline for panic attacks. The first few months were good. Only side effects were brain zaps and an overall strange feeling. First few weeks I had racing thoughts, high blood pressure, and feeling like iI had too much caffeine. It slowed down and my panic attacks got less. But, I did gain weight like another review mentioned. Not just a few pounds.... like 25. I was constantly craving carbs, and had a huge bloated feeling all of the time. I had to get off of this medicine unfortunately because of that."

Ang256 (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 28, 2016

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was put on Zoloft by my doctor for panic attacks about sleeping/falling asleep after she felt I was too dependent on Clonazepam. This definitely worked for anxiety, however I gained around 30+ pounds in a little over a year and a half. I was still exercising regularly and eating normally. It started slowly and then one day none of my pants fit me anymore. The last straw was when I went to the doctor for my yearly check up and was 200 pounds. I weaned myself off of it, and almost immediately I felt less bloated. It has been a little over a week and I'm suffering terrible dizziness and headaches. I'm determined to never be on this crap again."

sleeplessinMD (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 25, 2016

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I just started taking a generic Zoloft a few days ago for my Border line personality disorder/ anxiety . The first day, I felt very sluggish, like a zombie. I feel sick, and I got plenty of sleep last night, however, I do not know how I'm going to be able to go to work today. I feel like I have no motivation, and it gives me such a bad sick feeling, that I can't stick through. I'm trying though, but if the sickness, sluggish, numbing of the mind thing doesn't go away, I'm going to discontinue taking this medicine. I feel like I can't think what so ever because Zoloft is numbing my mind."

Kayladawns September 18, 2016

11 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Never written a review in my life. Was often on these sites reading peoples experiences and hoping 1 day i would be me again. Im not me , im happier then i can remember . When your used to living with anxiety daily you dont realise how it actually feels to be "normal". Suffered panic attacks at night that came from absolutely nowhere, no warnings or triggers and gradually effected my day to day life. Started 50mg, first 2 weeks side effects were pretty harsh ; insomnia , increase anxiety , nausea. Was having second thoughts at 4 weeks as didnt see much improvement . Week 5 felt like a switch was turned on in my head. Give this drug 6-8 weeks minimum. it has been life changing for me"

Trend September 6, 2016

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was started on Zoloft two weeks ago. I went to my PCP because I could not handle my anxiety anymore. I am a single parent and work two full time jobs. Life is just a little much for me. She decided to start me on 25 mg of Zoloft. I took it for 5 days. Every night I tossed and turned. I could not sleep. My appetite was poor. Which was a good thing, because I had some weight to lose. But on my fifth day, I came home and had a panic attack in front of my three year old son. I have never had one in my 26 years of life. It was the scariest thing ever. I called my PCP and she never called me back. The Xanax did not help. So the next day I went to the ER and they gave me Ativan and told me not to take the Zoloft, that I had an adverse reaction."

Courtb1 (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016

14 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes   No

"I was 18 when I first realized I had anxiety. I thought I was just stressed out until it got so bad that it led me to panic attacks . Long story short I went to a naturopath due to horrifying stories about Zoloft and tried the herbal route (I used 5htp and skullcap). Unfortunately they were not strong enough for the severe anxiety I had endured while I started my first year in college. My normal Doctor and family eventually convinced me to go on Zoloft and I couldn't be more thankful they did. Within two weeks, I noticed improvement. Lessening anxiety, happier mood, energy, I was just me again. I started on 12.5 mg then went to 25 mg then to the average therapeutic dose at 50 mg. I'vebeen on 50 mg for almost two years now.couldnt be happier"

Anonymous August 30, 2016