User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

"Day 4 if taking a small dosage (prescribed 50mg but from past experience with medication I decided to quarter the tablets to ease into the side effects). First day I got heartburn for a few hours and slight tingles in my face and hands, nothing major. Day two was fine. Day three I had some diarrhoea which settled after a few hours. Day four (today) I feel terrible, I have diarrhoea, stomach cramps, nausea, headache & muscle aches. I feel like a big bag of urgh. I’m on such a tiny dose I don’t know whether to keep going or stop. My panic disorder stems from a fear of being sick so I’m thinking of just stopping unless this settles and I feel brave enough tomorrow to go through the same thing"

Stph (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Came off Opioids in March after taking them for 2 years till I had my hip replaced. The anxiety and depression I experienced post the pain medication was horrific. I had no idea that I would become suicidal because of stopping opioids but I did. Every morning I awoke with the most intense panic and major depression which lasted day after day after day because I hadn’t been producing my own dopamine or serotonin whilst on pain meds. I thought I’d never recover. I stuck it out for two months when I got to the point of truly fearing for my life and afraid for my sanity. My doc was fantastic and very understanding. It’s only coming to light now the dangers of opioids, anyway I started on Zoloft and I’m feeling so much better again. Thank Goodness!"

CL77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on Zoloft for a few years as I have generalized anxiety disorder. I am also somewhat ADD and suffer from chronic insomnia but no depression. It helped but I got a new doctor and we decided to try Wellbutrin and vyvance respectively to treat the ADD. Wellbutrin actually made me depressed and the vyvance did wonders for the ADD but horrible for anxiety. E We then tried Effexor. Not the one. I went back begging for my Zoloft and a clonazepam at night. By far the best drug for me. It does take a couple of weeks before it calms me down enough to sleep. Being back on it feels like coming home again!"

Miss clairol (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 23, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was only able to make it 5 days. I had nervousness from the time I woke up. Sweaty palms, nausea, anxiety, vivid unpleasant dreams. At times I would sleep for 12 hours and others maybe 3 hours. I couldn't take it anymore. I can't imagine dealing with those side effects for weeks. I stopped and feel so much better. It has taken about two days to feel better. Good luck to everybody but that felt like pure poison to me."

Jennifer RN October 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "First, let me start off by saying that I did not know which category to choose, as this medication has helped me with several (OCD, PTSD, panic disorder, antenatal depression, claustrophobia, agoraphobia, social anxiety, and GAD.) For years, I debated and even fought the idea of taking medicine. After many years of struggling from a host of debilitating mental illnesses, I vowed if I was brave enough to try SSRI's, that I would come back and write about my experience in hopes that this post could at help at least one individual. At first, my antenatal depression and anxiety got so much worse, and I pretty much experienced every side effect in the book (yes, even the scary ones). I cannot even believe how amazing I feel just 8 weeks later!"

mbmb24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi All! I just want to start off with saying how grateful I am to everyone who posts on here. I have battled with panic attacks and anxiety for the last 14 years. The first time it happened I ended up taking Paxil for about a year. It helped tremendously and I was able to do therapy, change my diet, start a good exercise program and meditate. I since seem to have a 5 year cycle with paralyzing bouts of a month or so of constant panic attacks. So here I am currently on week 8. I tried gabapentin and propanolol for about 4 weeks and was still not feeling right and having to take Xanax every night. I work a stressful on call job. I have finally decided to try Zoloft as I heard it is weight neutral (I gained a bunch of weight on Paxil)"

HopefulSuz (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "This is my 3rd time being on this med. For me it runs it course after a few years and I have to get on a different med. I am highly sensitive to meds of this type. This is day 4 of being on it again. Very low dose of 25 mg. I am to be on this for 6 days and then suppose to bump up to 50 mg. Just don't think I will bump up this soon. This med has been truly a lifesaver once again for me. I had been under high stress for a month and a half and it just kept getting worse. Went back to dr and I asked him to put me back on Zoloft, generic version. He agreed. Very thankful for this med. Not quite back to my old self yet but very close. Minor side effects that I tolerate well. Please give this a try. This drug has been around for many years."

60's lady September 9, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for 2 years, before taking it I suffered from severe panic attacks and anxiety and social anxiety. I have not had 1 major panic attack since I started taking it so that in itself is awesome. However, I have gained 25 pounds on this and cannot seem to get the weight off and when I do lose weight I can't keep it off. This has resulted in other health problems like high blood pressure. I also have trouble reaching orgasm during the day but at night I'm FINE. Given how horrible and anxiety ridden I was before taking the medication, it definitely works but the side effects (like the weight gain) are driving me crazy. It also hasn't taken away my social anxiety completely, I still get nervous around people."

OpenHearts (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm a 29 year old female. I've been suffering from horrible social anxiety disorder and panic attacks for over 2 years. I've been on Zoloft (technically sertraline since I'm on the generic version) for 4 months. The first 2-3 weeks I started with 25 mg and I had mild side effects like diarrhea and dizziness. I also spaced out a lot. After the 3 week mark the side effects started to go away and I felt so much better than I ever had in years. I had little to no social anxiety anymore and almost felt like I had my life back. After 2 months I felt I plateaued. I started getting the anxiety/panicky feelings back. So I upped my dosage to 50 mg. For now it is still doing the trick but it's nowhere near what it was in the beginning."

wingie August 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been on Sertraline (Zoloft) for eight years now and I am so glad I started! I take a weird dose-75mg-and that works for me! I do up my dose to 100mg when I feel I need it and my doc says this is okay. I am way past side effects, other than staying hydrated and eating extra fiber, I don't experience nausea or sleepiness. I use Zoloft in combination with Klonopin at night. I usually only take half a Klonopin at night for sleep. These two drugs together keep me calm, but not zombie-like. The looping ,intrusive thoughts and worrying seem blocked, and I rarely have breakthrough panic attacks. Regular exercise and talk therapy in combination with these drugs keep me balanced."

Misha13 July 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"This is a wonder drug!! Out of no where I got THE worst anxiety/panic attacks. I didn't want to take Xanax every time I had one because it was every single day. They were so bad, it felt like I was having a heart attack!! I decided go on seratline @ 25mg and it worked within few days! No more Xanax!! Yes, I got the headache and stomach pain, but went away. Also, the natural stuff (supplements) wasn't helping me and actually making it worse!! I'm so grateful for this medicine!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "This is one of a handful of meds that I have been prescribed over my 35 year battle with panic and I have to say that this drug had no effect at all, good or bad. My panic just continued. Today I am on 100mg of Elavil and it is working quite well. Best of all, Elavil has the added bonus of curbing my neuropathy which had forced me to be on fentanyl for over 4 years."

13crocs June 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on 50mg of Zoloft for the last 3 years, and it has somewhat reduced my panic attacks, but my depression has gotten much worse. My doctor suggested that I increase my dosage to 100mg, which I did. At this dosage I felt less depressed, but was much more anxious, more angry and starting experiencing manic states for the first time in my life. I do not have bipolar, so this was extremely concerning. I have been taking 3mg of Clonazepam daily with my Zoloft, but I only experience mania after increasing my Zoloft, so I can only suspect I had an adverse reaction"

DaLeinad (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Continuation from Alee: I went to the ER and my potassium was low; now I'm on potassium pills for 3 days. Today 6/16/17 I had my first panic attack in over a few weeks, my heart was pounding really hard and fast; my left side was numb, I couldn't breathe; so I showered and it calmed me down a bit. I'm hesitant to start back on the zoloft...any suggestions?"

A. Asenth (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I have just finished sertraline after being on it for three years. My doses ranged between 100-200mg throughout this time. I think I developed some sort of tolerance to it because I stopped as they were not working as effectively as they had been. Overall though... side effects at beginning were terrible for sertraline and lasted 12 weeks for me but I stuck it out. The increased anxiety during this period was the hardest, along with clammy/sweaty hands. Sertraline gave me palpitations the whole time I took them though Benzo use dropped after the 3 month mark, this is typically when I know an antidepressant is starting to do its work. As I said, steadily increased dose and it worked fine for few years then therapeutic effects began to wear off."

Soundchain June 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on sertraline for about 3 years now. I've been suffering from abnormal anxiety since I was about 10, and decided to finally get on medication at age 16. At first, I was put on 50mg --25mg for the first four days, then began taking 50mg-- and at first, it was a bit difficult to tell whether it worked or not. After about 3 months, I really couldn't feel any difference from when I was off of it. It took about half a year for me to find the right dosage, which is now 200mg, and it works a lot better than I expected it to. I used to panic for no reason, the attacks occurring mostly at night when I needed to go to bed. Now, I really only have anxiety if there is an actual trigger. And if I do feel anxious for no reason, its manageable."

MeganOb June 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I suffered from severe panic disorder. I would get 3-5 panic attacks weekly. I found myself rushing to the hospital cause I always thought I was having a heart attack. My doctor finally started me on 25mg then 50mg and now I'm at 100mg. The 50mg worked but I was still needing to use lorazepam a couple times a week for panic attacks. Now it's been about a month on 100mg and I've only had 2 panic attacks all month. This drug is absolutely amazing. I have zero side affects from it too so mega bonus."

Dreamventrious (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Hi Guys, I was prescribed sertraline 3 weeks ago as I was suffering from frequent panic attacks, we have no idea how these attacks started as I'm a fit healthy 19 year old male, I'm also type 1 diabetic, I've had attacks on and off for the past two months now for no apparent reason and these attacks are really bad guys, I'm talking my heart is racing, sweats, dizziness, shaking and lately I'm getting episodes of a crazy burning/tingling sensation throughout my chest and into both arms that lasts about a minute max at a time, I've had all my ECG and blood tests done and they seem to be fine, the only thing that's high is my blood pressure, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this burning/tingling sensation?? is it anxiety??"

Rhys guy (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Back in 2013 I started having terrible panic attacks in public. I was agoraphobic with in weeks. Started taking Zoloft in Nov 2016. This month as of May 2017 I have been able to go places by my self that I have not been able to since 2013! It's the most amazing feeling to be able to go out again anxiety free. I think you should give the medicine longer than 4 months. At 4 months I felt good but couldn't go out by my self or go to far from home . I'm on 100mg a day. I had extreme fear of medicine wish I would have seen my doctor sooner. I couldn't even imagine doing what I'm doing now. My life seemed over after 3 years of basically being house bound. When I did go out it was hell. The side effects were not bad at all I have none now."

High Anxiety (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 17, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "Let me start out by saying THIS IS THE FIRST REVIEW I HAVE EVER WRITTEN. I felt compelled to share my story and experience with Zoloft in hopes that it helps someone else. I agonized over the decision of whether or not to go on medication for an anxiety and panic disorder that was ruining my life. I was so fearful of side effects, weight gain, increased anxiety and all the other "what ifs". Finally, I submitted and figured I had nothing to lose. Let me just say 4 months on 50mg of Zoloft and I am loving life. Give this medication a chance, no one was more skeptical of me, to the point that I suffered more than 2 years before finally trying it. This medication CHANGED MY LIFE and I am so happy I decided to try it."

Krista M (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I've been on Paxil for 18 years, when it stopped working. My doctor put me on a tapering schedule while adding in Zoloft, currently I'm at 15mg Paxil and 50mg Zoloft. I started feeling a little anxious at night and so I asked my doctor if I could go up to 75mg Zoloft, she ok'd it. I took it tonight, with the 15 mg Paxil. OMG I'm having the worst panic attack! Not only am I feeling slow from the decrease in Paxil the extra 25 mg of Zoloft has me freaking out! Don't know if I should go up on the Zoloft slower? I can't imagine feeling this way tomorrow!"

ChrisC03 May 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I had spine surgery almost a month ago. Immediately after I was discharged I ended up having terrible anxiety attacks. I always took 25 mg of Zoloft everyday to stave anxiety attacks which began 1994 after a nose surgery. After 5 months of treatment on Zoloft and Clonazepam I felt like myself again. I was a young lad then, now I am 80. So the dose was increased to 50, 75 and now I am on 100 mg of Zoloft. It's been almost 4 weeks since Zoloft treatment began. I have been on 100 mg of Zoloft for the last 2 weeks, I am still experiencing uncontrollable side effects, such as agitation, shaking sensation, and anxiety attacks. How much more of Zoloft is needed to curb this hellish ordeal and how much longer the suffering will last?"

Naphesh (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"Let me start by saying I should have started on this medication years ago. I'm a Senior Executive with a large company who travels and gives seminars to other execs. In the past I would painfully count down the days to my next seminar, each day the panic and anxiety would become progressively worse. My Dr. prescribed me Propranolol to take 60 minutes before each speaking engagement, this helped at that moment, but it was the time leading up to each engagement that was so harrowing for me. 6 months ago my Dr. prescribed 25 mgs Sertaline, this has been a game changer.I now look forward with great anticipation to each speaking engagement. I have found 25 mgs is perfect for my needs, no reason to make the jump to 50mgs. Good luck to all!"

Luckyman88 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

"I took sertraline (zoloft) for 4 days before quitting it. The first day I felt very tired and slightly nauseous. After that I was having very loose stools, headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, and overall sense of just not being myself. Today I had my first full blown panic attack in almost 2 years (I've been on clonazepam since my last panic attack). I know people always say to keep pushing through the side effects but I couldn't. I had to leave work and I went home and cried for hours. I felt like a complete zombie for the last 3 days. Obviously this drug effects everyone differently but for me, it was absolute hell. :("

sambam97 April 14, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had depression and anxiety since 2 years . Tried prozac and from 3rd pill it was terrible ! Severe headache ! Changed to zoloft and started increasing dose gradually from 12.5 till 25 then 50 . Noticed improvement in about 1-2 month . I recommend this drug . Tried to stop it 2 month ago and I relapsed so am taking it now again hoping it could work again .. However my insomnia is killing me !!!!"

Anonymous 12345 April 14, 2017