User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

"I took sertraline (zoloft) for 4 days before quitting it. The first day I felt very tired and slightly nauseous. After that I was having very loose stools, headaches, drowsiness, dizziness, and overall sense of just not being myself. Today I had my first full blown panic attack in almost 2 years (I've been on clonazepam since my last panic attack). I know people always say to keep pushing through the side effects but I couldn't. I had to leave work and I went home and cried for hours. I felt like a complete zombie for the last 3 days. Obviously this drug effects everyone differently but for me, it was absolute hell. :("

sambam97 April 14, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had depression and anxiety since 2 years . Tried prozac and from 3rd pill it was terrible ! Severe headache ! Changed to zoloft and started increasing dose gradually from 12.5 till 25 then 50 . Noticed improvement in about 1-2 month . I recommend this drug . Tried to stop it 2 month ago and I relapsed so am taking it now again hoping it could work again .. However my insomnia is killing me !!!!"

Anonymous 12345 April 14, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "My recommendation - if you have a panic disorder, get on situational meds like klonopin or xanax. This may not be a wise decision if you have an addiction problem/addictive personality, but klonopin saved my life. Before klonopin, though, I took zoloft. Zoloft made me incredibly sick and very depressed. I have never had depression, only the panic disorder. Situational meds reminded me what it felt like to be normal, and after awhile I was able to mimic that normalcy on my own."

kales April 6, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I'm 19 years old and have been on sertraline for 4 weeks now they're definitely starting to work the first week was a few side affects but nothing major just a bit nervous that's all, I can definitely tell I'm starting to feel better! I use to have 3 panic attacks a day and worry all day everyday but now it's like I don't get any anymore maybe now and then I can worry but not as much as I use to , it takes 4-6 weeks to work anyway , they're amazing I feel so much happier and first time in months I went out for a meal without having a panic attack as the tablets feel like they blank noise out more and I didn't even concentrate on people around me or I don't have thoughts about dying going through my head all day everyday anymore ! recommend them!"

Wardycait19 (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2017

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Years ago, I took Zoloft while going through chemo, and it helped me cope better. I wasn't crying as much. But, now you can only get generic, so I tired Sertraline for depression and panic attacks. It wiped me out. I could not keep my head up unless I had slept about 12 hrs each night. When I tapered off, I began to experience some cognitive issues. My typing speed dropped, and my error rate went up. I'd type things (words & phrases) I didn't intend to, and not type things I intended to. A neurologist said the med was likely helping my serotonin levels, but, when I tapered off, my brain was having issues. Varied doses didn't help either problem, so I tapered off. Tiredness stopped quickly. Typing issue slowly improved over 2-2.5 months."

Doe-see-doe March 29, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "These reviews helped me so much when I first started Zoloft over 5 weeks ago that I wanted to post my experience. After several weeks of increasingly worsening panic attacks at work, I ended up in the hospital. A year ago my psych Dr switched me from cymbalta to a mood stabilizer and things were good until November as stress at work increased. I was depending on too much bromazepam to get through the day. My GP started me on 50 mg of Zoloft and my anxiety was so bad also tremors for 4 weeks I was sure I would have to quit working or cut my hours. But this Monday on week 5 was amazing. I still have some anxiety but I seem to be able to handle it now. It's like I have my confidence back. Good luck!"

Dentalhygienist68 March 23, 2017

10 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started sertraline 25 mg hade it for 4 weeks I started to feel better then stopped because it was making me to sleepy. It's been 3 months since I stopped now my doctor told me to start again. I took 25 mg just one 2 weeks ago and am getting very bad chest pain I went to hospital and they said its not your heart but I am getting my depression back I can't take it cuz still have chest pain"

gapshap1 March 18, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "UPDATE! I wanted to share my experience once again. I posted on here a little while ago about how I couldn't sleep on Zoloft, only 3 hours then I would wake up every 30-45 min. So I took a brief drug holiday for 2 days and started back on it to give it another try. I literally took 6.25mg and the first few nights were fine, but then after about 4 days I started waking up super early in the morning and I could not fall back asleep. It wasn't the worst possible case scenario, but I still felt like I wasn't sleeping enough and I was still tired through out the day. So waking up early again this morning I have decided that I am done with antidepressants. I have tried 3 now, and none of them have worked."

NurseAshley (taken for less than 1 month) March 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "started zoloft 25mg but was told to brake in half for three days then go to the 25mg for two weeks then to 50mg , the first week was hell!!! Was throwing up none stop, horrible diarrhea made my anxiety so much worse, I weighed 85 pounds and went down to 73, was in and out of the er because I needed fluids, after week too I could tell my depression was better but my anxiety was still bad got to the point I couldn't leave my bed, my son missed basketball games had to have my mom go to the store for me, after week 3 on the 50mg doctor prescribed me xanax (one a day if needed) it helped a lot with my anxiety but my side effects keep getting worse so the doctor got me off the zoloft, a lot better now off the zoloft and haven't had anxiety in a week,"

Lizzybear1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 7, 2017

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Works great but you'll never sleep the same again. I can sleep for about 3 hours per night and then I'm up every 30-45 minutes after that. Always the same thing every night around the same time, 3am wake up eyes wide open and often cannot fall back sleep. Hardly ever enter REM sleep due to the frequent awakenings. I'm exhausted all day, every day, but hey I'm happy right? WRONG! I need sleep to function. Stopped taking it. Other side effects: dry mouth, decreased appetite, tremors, dilated pupils the size of Texas, CONSTANT HEADACHE, decreased sensation with orgasm. There has to be another way to deal with anxiety and panic attacks, right?!?!"

NurseACH March 6, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Today is day 14 on Zoloft. It's been a rough 2 weeks with the only side effects being heightened anxiety & panic. Now I'm past the first two weeks I should start to feel some improvement right?? I'm currently relying on lorazepam to function."

Sar70 (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft changed my life completely and I feel "normal" pretty much all of the time. I was too phobic to try it and for 15 yrs I suffered. I wish it didn't have to happen that way. I started literally on 6.25 mg so afraid I'd get ill. Went up to 12.5 then 25 and so on. I'm now on 150mg and have had zero side effects. If you're like me and phobic of meds, start on a baby dose. Even when the doc looks at you weird, just do it your way for you. You want the lowest effective dose anyway right? Start small and tell yourself this will help and not hurt you before you take it. Each day it gets easier. Best wishes for a better life."

Happy finally (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm 18 and have been on Zoloft 50 mg for about a week now after the first couple days I felt like it makes my anxiety and panic attacks worse should I go to higher dose or change to something else? First day or 2 got really aggressive thoughts and couldn't sleep but each day got easier! I smoke weed everyday and the weed makes me get anxiety but the Zoloft tires to fight it and I feel like I'm trapped in my body with even worse anxiety. I feel sad as on the inside but no one would even tell when I'm with them it's like all my feelings are trapped inside me if that makes sense any help anyone?"

Tyroneranger February 27, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I normally never post reviews of any kind, however this review is different for me. Not only is it very personal to me, but I hope that in sharing my story it can also help someone see the light at the end of the tunnel. After a brief medical scare my anxiety rose to an all time high causing severe panic attacks and making me emotionally unrecognizable. I was afraid of doing normal, everyday things that I otherwise wouldn't have thought about and also scared myself into thinking I had some sort of heart related issues. Long story short, zoloft resulted in a 180 change for me in less < 6 wks. I started the first week off with 1/2 of a 50 mg tabl and then a whole. Very thankful for giving this life changing medicine a chance. Never lose hope"

Starbrightx (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2017

48 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft worked AWESOME for my extreme anxiety and major depression. It worked for many years but eventually (as all good things do), it stopped working as well and once my dosage couldn't go any higher, I had to start the whole process of finding the right medication and the right "cocktail" for me. Again, I'd like to reiterate that Zoloft SAVED MY LIFE for MANY YEARS and only had to stop talking bc after about 7-10 years I guess my body didn't continue to respond like it used to."

MaryKrazy1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2017

15 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on 50mg a day for over 3 months now. At first I noticed nothing, and then had some bad side effects which made me want to come off them (weaned off pregablin before going on this - which was the most horrific medicine!). My doctor told me to persevere and my anxiety had been so bad I decided to carry on taking the Sertraline. Now over 3 months on this drug has changed my life. It hasn't changed me as a person, the only way I act differently is that I feel content, happy and hopeful - something I haven't felt in so many years. Yes there is the anxiety demon still there as I'm still the same, but I am able to control it now."

Hrj* (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2017

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Was switching from 40mg of Celexa to 100mg of Zoloft. Felt great first two weeks. Then it was pure hell after that. I ended up with Serotonin syndrome during the switch. Ok. Gave the drug a good 8 weeks. Couldn't sleep. Was way too activating. Made me feel trapped in a constant state of anxiety and panic. Zaps in my fingers and toes. My children at one point asked if I was high because of the way I was acting. I couldn't even get a coherent thought out. The last day I took Zoloft I can't even remember I was so out of it. Not the drug for me. Those shouldn't persuade you from trying it as many of these meds are hit and miss."

Sc00bs (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 10, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"I started this medication in 2015 on 25mg for 2 weeks - it had no effect which was good as I also had no side effects (I was in a pretty bad place at the time as I had pnd, panic disorder and ptsd) so I wasn't expecting to feel better straight away. I was then increased to 50mg and started feeling a lot better after about a month. I then increased to 75mg - what I'm on now, and I can honestly say my life is just so much better!! The only side effect I have noticed is a bit of a fuzzy head if I don't take the meds at the same time every day. It is a medication that can take a few months to really show you it's benefits But it shouldn't make you worse -So like any drug... be careful and talk to your prescriber regularly!"

Sassymumma27 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 8, 2017

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

"Have been on for 8 days and feel absolutely horrible, way worse than when I was before the medication. Everyone tells me to push through but I would much rather experience anxiety than deal with these side effects. At a loss."

Kjurg (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2017

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Took 100 mg daily for over 10 years and it did nothing to take care of the problems I explained to my doctor. Every time I advised my doctor it wasn't working he increased the dosage but never did it relieve my panic, tremor or social anxiety disorder. Feeling I no longer wanted to take it for these reasons they refused to help me get off it so I did it by myself over several months and had severe withdrawal panics. I had suicidal thoughts and attempts but why should a person take a medication that doesn't help with the problem."

PSFri February 6, 2017

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "HELLO world, Writing a review cause 'Im just like you scrolling thru, I wanted to share my experience with this medicine, first things first this DOES NOT work right away it takes about a month or two For me at least to kick in, so do not stop after like a week unless you have horrible side effects. I satrted from 20mg all the way to 100mg. Helps a lot with S.A , G.A.D and depression, and as well as Agoraphobia Panic attacks are gone, Still get anxious but a normal nervousness not overwhelming, no more crying spells.. This Medicine won't Cure Mental Illness but it definitely HELPS! %u2764%u2764%u2764%u2764" Give it a Try, & always keep ya head up! ! if it doesn't work you can always keep trying other SSRI's that will help your everyday life!"

Quest. (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 31, 2017

34 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Life saver. Few side effects initially (increased depression and anxiety, decreased appetite, insomnia and agitation), no side effects long term. Push through those horrible first two weeks. At week three my depression was GONE, agitation completely gone, panic attacks gone. Some general anxiety, But that subsided after a couple of month. I was on this medication for a year, and got of it with little to no withdrawal symptoms. I STRONGLY recommend starting as low as 12.5 mg for a week, then 25 for a week. Cut the 25 mg tablets in half. This eases those horrible initial side effects, especially anxiety and agitation. Big hugs and high five to all of you anxiety/depression suffers out there. You can and you Will get better!"

Danishgirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 30, 2017

54 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been on 50mg Zoloft for 2 weeks now. I confidently say this medication is the best thing that has ever happened to me since living my life controlled by anxiety and horrendous panic. It was the right decision because I'm starting to finally see that I'm getting my life back to how I was before. The side effects are not great like lack of appetite, nausea etc. But they pass after a week or two and all these bad reviews that you see are people not giving this medication a chance to kick in and work. It takes time and I respect that it might not effect everyone how it has me but I can say without Zoloft I don't think I would have ever got better because no reassurance from family members was helping it was the extra push I needed."

Jack27765 January 27, 2017

31 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft, for me, has been a wonder drug. It worked incredibly well for me in combating anxiety associated with Post Natal Depression. Initially I had the shakes and dry mouth and a little dizziness, but that passed after a couple of weeks. I highly recommend sticking with the side effects and trying it for at least 8 weeks. From being almost bed bound, I completed a nursing degree, got a great job and am raising 2 kids as a single Mum. I found keeping busy the helps with my anxiety. CBT and Zoloft were, however, the most effective treatments for keeping panic at bay."

1968Wookiee January 26, 2017

23 users found this comment helpful. Did you? Yes No

Zoloft (sertraline): "Ok so this is my first review. I had been suffering from severe anxiety and panic attacks for about 5 months it completely changed my life for the worse. I stopped all the things I used to enjoy I didn't go to the gym and I wasn't physically active. I felt safe in my room not socialising as this did not cause me to panic. However it was a downward spiral from there. The reason that I felt safe at first was because my anxiety was from my heart beating fast and I was always aware of it ( weird right.) I wanted to avoid all things that would trigger my panic attacks. gotta cut it short so I took 50 mg zoloft and after the first day I haven't had one single panic attack and feel 10x better. I still have a little anxiety but only on my 5th day."

Jack__ January 22, 2017