User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline Rating Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next? Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

Zoloft (sertraline): "Hi all. My name is Lauren I am 21. I have taken this medicine for 6 months. Here’s my story. 7 months ago I was having severe ANXIETY, with panic attacks and some mild depression because of it. I just wanted to feel better. I read review after review because I was scared to take an ANTIDEPRESSANT, since I wasn’t depressed, and because I’m a natural person I question everything. All I can say is TRY IT. There will always be negative comments on any medication. This one saved me. I started on 25 mg it wasn’t enough. It took 6 weeks too feel 100% and week 1 my anxiety was worse (didn’t know that was possible). I hope this helps you all because I was that person searching for what if’s."

Lauren (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 4, 2018

"After a very stressful period I started to have panic attacks and feeling awful. I now take 75mg a day and it has been a life saver, the feelings have completely disappeared and I got my life back. I had very little side effects, have been taking these meds for 18 months, I would say it took around 6 months before all feelings of panic and anxiety went."

Caroline (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 13, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "My anxiety was so bad that I couldn't function I would have panic attacks driving home from work in fear of having another panic attack that I had years ago. I'm not going to ramble on. This medication has changed my life for the better I go out more talk more, my panic attacks and intrusive thoughts have been under control. Yes this medication works"

Texasman February 25, 2018

"Being taken off Seroxat and Paroxetine and put on Sertraline caused months of problems. It made me so much worse, but the doctor kept upping the dose. After about 8 months I went back to 150mg from 200mg, and began to feel a bit better (like stopping when you've been banging your head against a brick wall!). I definitely have not benefited from the change at all. I have been told by my GP that he won't change it, and I have to wait to see a psychiatrist. Today I got an appointment for next month (Feb 2018). I have been stuck on Sertraline since March 2017!"

Scaredy Cat January 24, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "After finally going to the doctor to get on medicine for my panic attacks he put me on Zoloft. I started it that same Friday. Starting the next day I had a constant panic attack till the next Sunday basically. With the help of my husband and mother they decided to take me to the ER. I was low on fluids and they had to give me other medications to calm me down. After that my doctor switched me to Xanax XR and it has done wonders for me! I would never take Zoloft again, please be careful"

Bdan January 3, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been on zoloft for 11 months and it has literally been the best thing I've ever done for my mental health. Before taking Zoloft I tried everything natural including exercise, meditation, therapy, balanced sleep, eating well and so on. I am not underestimating those things for balance but despite my commitment to a healthy life I was still having constant panic attacks which would then spiral me into depression. I can't believe the level of life quality I have from Zoloft. I feel so much more relaxed, able to access my logical side when challenge arises. At first few side affects like churning stomach, sweatiness, inability to orgasm and weirdly dilated pupils. They all subsided in a month of talking drug! Please give it a go."

Green Stone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 2, 2018

"I have panic disorder & GAD. I was getting panic attacks so bad that I had started having heart palpitations accompanying them, which are terrifying when you have never had them before. My doctor prescribed me sertraline, which I have taken before in the past. This time around I initially had terrible insomnia & diarrhea but PLEASE DO NOT let that stop you from taking this drug. The side effects do take about two to three weeks to get over, but I can say that I definitely feel so much better now. I am not constantly anxious or worried & the best part: no more heart palpitations!!!! My insomnia improved once I started 50mg & I even stopped taking my lorazepam! Sertraline truly is a life saver and I highly recommend you give it a chance!"

BizarreSummer (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): "I’m on 7 day of sertraline and I feel a complete mess. I’m panicking, afraid, and crying. On my 3rd day I felt good but yesterday it’s got worst. I’m on 25mg and we don’t have a therapist were I live so I don’t know what to do"

Cherrypick December 22, 2017

"Day 4 if taking a small dosage (prescribed 50mg but from past experience with medication I decided to quarter the tablets to ease into the side effects). First day I got heartburn for a few hours and slight tingles in my face and hands, nothing major. Day two was fine. Day three I had some diarrhoea which settled after a few hours. Day four (today) I feel terrible, I have diarrhoea, stomach cramps, nausea, headache & muscle aches. I feel like a big bag of urgh. I’m on such a tiny dose I don’t know whether to keep going or stop. My panic disorder stems from a fear of being sick so I’m thinking of just stopping unless this settles and I feel brave enough tomorrow to go through the same thing"

Stph (taken for less than 1 month) November 23, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "Came off Opioids in March after taking them for 2 years till I had my hip replaced. The anxiety and depression I experienced post the pain medication was horrific. I had no idea that I would become suicidal because of stopping opioids but I did. Every morning I awoke with the most intense panic and major depression which lasted day after day after day because I hadn’t been producing my own dopamine or serotonin whilst on pain meds. I thought I’d never recover. I stuck it out for two months when I got to the point of truly fearing for my life and afraid for my sanity. My doc was fantastic and very understanding. It’s only coming to light now the dangers of opioids, anyway I started on Zoloft and I’m feeling so much better again. Thank Goodness!"

CL77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 6, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on Zoloft for a few years as I have generalized anxiety disorder. I am also somewhat ADD and suffer from chronic insomnia but no depression. It helped but I got a new doctor and we decided to try Wellbutrin and vyvance respectively to treat the ADD. Wellbutrin actually made me depressed and the vyvance did wonders for the ADD but horrible for anxiety. E We then tried Effexor. Not the one. I went back begging for my Zoloft and a clonazepam at night. By far the best drug for me. It does take a couple of weeks before it calms me down enough to sleep. Being back on it feels like coming home again!"

Miss clairol (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 23, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was only able to make it 5 days. I had nervousness from the time I woke up. Sweaty palms, nausea, anxiety, vivid unpleasant dreams. At times I would sleep for 12 hours and others maybe 3 hours. I couldn't take it anymore. I can't imagine dealing with those side effects for weeks. I stopped and feel so much better. It has taken about two days to feel better. Good luck to everybody but that felt like pure poison to me."

Jennifer RN October 3, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "First, let me start off by saying that I did not know which category to choose, as this medication has helped me with several (OCD, PTSD, panic disorder, antenatal depression, claustrophobia, agoraphobia, social anxiety, and GAD.) For years, I debated and even fought the idea of taking medicine. After many years of struggling from a host of debilitating mental illnesses, I vowed if I was brave enough to try SSRI's, that I would come back and write about my experience in hopes that this post could at help at least one individual. At first, my antenatal depression and anxiety got so much worse, and I pretty much experienced every side effect in the book (yes, even the scary ones). I cannot even believe how amazing I feel just 8 weeks later!"

mbmb24 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2017

"Hi All! I just want to start off with saying how grateful I am to everyone who posts on here. I have battled with panic attacks and anxiety for the last 14 years. The first time it happened I ended up taking Paxil for about a year. It helped tremendously and I was able to do therapy, change my diet, start a good exercise program and meditate. I since seem to have a 5 year cycle with paralyzing bouts of a month or so of constant panic attacks. So here I am currently on week 8. I tried gabapentin and propanolol for about 4 weeks and was still not feeling right and having to take Xanax every night. I work a stressful on call job. I have finally decided to try Zoloft as I heard it is weight neutral (I gained a bunch of weight on Paxil)"

HopefulSuz (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "This is my 3rd time being on this med. For me it runs it course after a few years and I have to get on a different med. I am highly sensitive to meds of this type. This is day 4 of being on it again. Very low dose of 25 mg. I am to be on this for 6 days and then suppose to bump up to 50 mg. Just don't think I will bump up this soon. This med has been truly a lifesaver once again for me. I had been under high stress for a month and a half and it just kept getting worse. Went back to dr and I asked him to put me back on Zoloft, generic version. He agreed. Very thankful for this med. Not quite back to my old self yet but very close. Minor side effects that I tolerate well. Please give this a try. This drug has been around for many years."

60's lady September 9, 2017

"I have been on this medication for 2 years, before taking it I suffered from severe panic attacks and anxiety and social anxiety. I have not had 1 major panic attack since I started taking it so that in itself is awesome. However, I have gained 25 pounds on this and cannot seem to get the weight off and when I do lose weight I can't keep it off. This has resulted in other health problems like high blood pressure. I also have trouble reaching orgasm during the day but at night I'm FINE. Given how horrible and anxiety ridden I was before taking the medication, it definitely works but the side effects (like the weight gain) are driving me crazy. It also hasn't taken away my social anxiety completely, I still get nervous around people."

OpenHearts (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 11, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm a 29 year old female. I've been suffering from horrible social anxiety disorder and panic attacks for over 2 years. I've been on Zoloft (technically sertraline since I'm on the generic version) for 4 months. The first 2-3 weeks I started with 25 mg and I had mild side effects like diarrhea and dizziness. I also spaced out a lot. After the 3 week mark the side effects started to go away and I felt so much better than I ever had in years. I had little to no social anxiety anymore and almost felt like I had my life back. After 2 months I felt I plateaued. I started getting the anxiety/panicky feelings back. So I upped my dosage to 50 mg. For now it is still doing the trick but it's nowhere near what it was in the beginning."

wingie August 11, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've been on Sertraline (Zoloft) for eight years now and I am so glad I started! I take a weird dose-75mg-and that works for me! I do up my dose to 100mg when I feel I need it and my doc says this is okay. I am way past side effects, other than staying hydrated and eating extra fiber, I don't experience nausea or sleepiness. I use Zoloft in combination with Klonopin at night. I usually only take half a Klonopin at night for sleep. These two drugs together keep me calm, but not zombie-like. The looping ,intrusive thoughts and worrying seem blocked, and I rarely have breakthrough panic attacks. Regular exercise and talk therapy in combination with these drugs keep me balanced."

Misha13 July 4, 2017

"This is a wonder drug!! Out of no where I got THE worst anxiety/panic attacks. I didn't want to take Xanax every time I had one because it was every single day. They were so bad, it felt like I was having a heart attack!! I decided go on seratline @ 25mg and it worked within few days! No more Xanax!! Yes, I got the headache and stomach pain, but went away. Also, the natural stuff (supplements) wasn't helping me and actually making it worse!! I'm so grateful for this medicine!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 30, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "This is one of a handful of meds that I have been prescribed over my 35 year battle with panic and I have to say that this drug had no effect at all, good or bad. My panic just continued. Today I am on 100mg of Elavil and it is working quite well. Best of all, Elavil has the added bonus of curbing my neuropathy which had forced me to be on fentanyl for over 4 years."

13crocs June 29, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on 50mg of Zoloft for the last 3 years, and it has somewhat reduced my panic attacks, but my depression has gotten much worse. My doctor suggested that I increase my dosage to 100mg, which I did. At this dosage I felt less depressed, but was much more anxious, more angry and starting experiencing manic states for the first time in my life. I do not have bipolar, so this was extremely concerning. I have been taking 3mg of Clonazepam daily with my Zoloft, but I only experience mania after increasing my Zoloft, so I can only suspect I had an adverse reaction"

DaLeinad (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 21, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): "Continuation from Alee: I went to the ER and my potassium was low; now I'm on potassium pills for 3 days. Today 6/16/17 I had my first panic attack in over a few weeks, my heart was pounding really hard and fast; my left side was numb, I couldn't breathe; so I showered and it calmed me down a bit. I'm hesitant to start back on the zoloft...any suggestions?"

A. Asenth (taken for less than 1 month) June 16, 2017

"I have just finished sertraline after being on it for three years. My doses ranged between 100-200mg throughout this time. I think I developed some sort of tolerance to it because I stopped as they were not working as effectively as they had been. Overall though... side effects at beginning were terrible for sertraline and lasted 12 weeks for me but I stuck it out. The increased anxiety during this period was the hardest, along with clammy/sweaty hands. Sertraline gave me palpitations the whole time I took them though Benzo use dropped after the 3 month mark, this is typically when I know an antidepressant is starting to do its work. As I said, steadily increased dose and it worked fine for few years then therapeutic effects began to wear off."

Soundchain June 12, 2017

"I've been on sertraline for about 3 years now. I've been suffering from abnormal anxiety since I was about 10, and decided to finally get on medication at age 16. At first, I was put on 50mg --25mg for the first four days, then began taking 50mg-- and at first, it was a bit difficult to tell whether it worked or not. After about 3 months, I really couldn't feel any difference from when I was off of it. It took about half a year for me to find the right dosage, which is now 200mg, and it works a lot better than I expected it to. I used to panic for no reason, the attacks occurring mostly at night when I needed to go to bed. Now, I really only have anxiety if there is an actual trigger. And if I do feel anxious for no reason, its manageable."

MeganOb June 1, 2017

"I suffered from severe panic disorder. I would get 3-5 panic attacks weekly. I found myself rushing to the hospital cause I always thought I was having a heart attack. My doctor finally started me on 25mg then 50mg and now I'm at 100mg. The 50mg worked but I was still needing to use lorazepam a couple times a week for panic attacks. Now it's been about a month on 100mg and I've only had 2 panic attacks all month. This drug is absolutely amazing. I have zero side affects from it too so mega bonus."

Dreamventrious (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 26, 2017