User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 37 medications used in the treatment of Panic Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Panic Disorder

"Sertraline changed my life. I used to be in a chronic state of anxiety and on the verge of panic in daily life. Sertraline made it easier to think rationally and manage anxiety. The only downside I have noticed is a minor dulling of emotions; my mental state is less volatile, but this applies to both positive and negative feelings. I started at 50mg and increased to 75mg after 3 years."

Ian387598 July 24, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Started on 25mgs and had a tough first week with all the side effects. My doctor told me to stay on it for 2-3 more weeks and I did - and I must say, it have effected my life for the better cause. Went up to 50mg and have been on that dose for a while. Works great and feel that it is easier to do things now than before. Think it is important to say that there are no wonders drugs for anxiety. You are the key to deal with it - not the medicine. I still recommend Zoloft for those struggling with panic attacks."

AAvsQQ July 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started taking Sertaline last july for panic and anxiety and also for severe pms, it was my last option, and the best decision I could have made, the first few weeks a was very nervous. I woulnt say it increased the anxiety much a was just so scared to take them, I was prescribed 50mg, I decided a would half them so I done that for the first month, so I didn't get any side effect of the meddication, I am still on them now, and feel I will stop on them alot longer as it been the first time in four year that I been happy and ablw to live a normal life, its totally the right desion, if your prescibed somwthing take it, dont let the anxiety take over, I undestand its scary your first one, but it the only way u will get better.. good luck"

Melaniels19892016 July 21, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Went to a therapist who suggested Xanax and the doctor refused to do that and gave me Zoloft so I gave it a shot. First week was hell, was falling asleep sitting up which I had never done before. I was tired, sick feeling, and dizzy among other side effects. Once these subsided my panic attacks stopped, however I was sleeping 20 hours at a time, waking up then four hours later going back to sleep another 20 hours. I did notice I became better in social situations yet I lost interest in things I enjoyed doing and left the house even less than before. I have been diagnosed with GAD, panic disorder, agoraphobia, social anxiety, major depression, dermatillomania, and trichtotillomania. Not worth the negatives to fix only a few of these."

Peekasaurus (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 11, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on Zoloft for Depression, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Panic Disorder. Initially, Zoloft helped me a lot and I didn't have any kind of panic attacks, a constant sense of mild anxiety, or depression all that bad. However, after about a year of being on it it started to make me feel like a complete zombie. I had zero motivation for anything which reflected in my grades and I'm normally an obsessive overachiever in school.. I just kind of let myself go. I wasn't depressed but I wasn't happy, it just put me in this fog-like feeling. The withdraw for me felt like I might as well have been coming off heroin. I couldn't eat or sleep, I had cold sweats, nausea/vomiting, and I had anxiety like never before. It was truly a nightmare."

Anonymous July 9, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had anxiety and panic attacks for about 3 years, I finally said enough was enough when I promised after another panic attack im going straight to the doctor and I did. And im glad I did, this drug makes anxiety come all the way down to a manageable level It takes about 2 months from my experience to work, iv been on 50mg for 5 months and I should increase my dose for the remaining anxiety but there's a reason I wont. The drugs sexual side effects are bad it lowers overall sex drive and makes it hard to climax very annoying.Thats the main reason I want to get off them as well as dislike of long term medication. For someone who is looking to try the drug but maybe apprehensive Dont be scared to try this medication dont live in anxiety hell"

akan July 8, 2016

"Zoloft saved my life. There's no doubt about that. My anxiety had gotten to its worse point before I got put on my low dosage of 25 mg and ever since I have been doing so much better."

rwagz98 June 26, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am women 45 and suffer of general anxiety and panic attacs voor 25 jears. I took Zoloft already tree times in my life and it helped me every time. But every time I stopped my sympthomes turned back. I am taking Zoloft again voor 5 weeks and for the first time I have very bad side effects like naussea more panic bad sleeping...even after 5 weeks. I still hope it will help like other times but it is weard and I am worrying it will not work. I had some good days but genarally it is not going well at this moment. I also tried other AD in the past and nothing helped me like Zoloft. I was always at 50mg and it was enough. Maybe I have to take more or wait longer. I gave it 10 because of his working in the past. Anybody same experience?"

diana1971 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 24, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started this only 25mg been on it 23 days and have had episodes of anxiety sitting at home some days. But my bp goes up when I have an attack. Anyone else have this happen and when I'm relaxed my pulse rate is around 69-70 but when I'm not its around 99-115. Dr wants me to stay on it this dose another 30 days as I'm sensitive to meds I also take Valium for meiner's but it's never helped my anxiety."

Aj1970 June 17, 2016

"I was recently diagnosed with GED. I've been researching, learning as much as i can about the disorder and the drugs that can help us all. I was placed on Sertraline 25mg for two weeks about two months after a what can only be described as a week long life altering experience of Paxil. I am currently on day 6 of 25mg and couldn't take the side effects anymore. I experienced headaches, dizziness, small panic attacks out of nowhere, chest pain, reflux, nausea, fidgeting, i cant stop yawning, loss of appetite. basically the full list of known side effects. Going to visit the doctor tomorrow to see if I should cut it down for good or try something else. everyone says "stick it out" but I don't think I can do that to myself or my family."

Newbie35 May 26, 2016

"I will never take that drug again after 5 days i turned into someone i didnt know i hated everything and everyone i wanted to die forget it"

W62 May 24, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had 2 miscarriages within six months of each other. After the 2nd, my anxiety was non-stop. I started having panic attacks. I tried paxil and Celexa which helped a little, but didn't take the anxiety away. I finally started zoloft a few months ago and at first I was zombie-like, and could barely stay awake, but my Dr encouraged me to give it 4 weeks. I did, and I am really happy that I toughed it out. I haven't been this calm since before my miscarriages. I am finally feeling relaxed and relief. The only negative effect I am having is teeth grinding/clenching but I had that on the other drugs as well. I am no longer exhausted, I feel normal again."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 23, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I suffered panic attacks for 12 years from 1989 to 2001, almost every night. I switched doctors and he put me on Zoloft. I have been on it ever since, up to 150mg per day, and have suffered no side effects. It has been a life saver."

relenta3 (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I do not take this for depression whatsoever. It is prescribed to me to prevent fainting (vaso vagul syncope). It works wonders. I am 45 years old and take a small 25mg/pediatric dose. Have been taking it for several years and have not fainted since starting it."

Michigan Mamma May 17, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Well I've been taking Zoloft for anxiety and panic attacks 50mg for 7 weeks now and it does work for panic and anxiety I havnt had an attack and my anxiety levels are pretty much low as can be, my mind feels clearer and I feel more relaxed and able to concentrate on things again, the only down side to taking this that I have felt is being tired a bit and being a bit lethargic and less motivation to do anything, also had very vivid dreams but they can be good so that's not a bad thing to deal with, looking to go back to see if I can lower the dose of possible to help with the feeling of lethargic/less energy but it does what it says it's stops panic and anxiety of you stick with it, I can relax again!"

Shaun griffiths May 4, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I took Zoloft for anxiety and panic attacks. It worked the first day! Only downside of this is I felt tired and zombie like. But it definitely helps."

LeaC21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Zoloft has helped me tremendously! I am going on week 6. I kept going on the Internet reading the terrible side effects. I kept putting it off even though my sister in law is a pharmacist. I was scared. Terified. I'm in my 40s very fit. I kept thinking I would feel better. I thought it was hormones. I kept having panic attacks which didn't last long, but it still happened.There was a lot that happened over the course of the months and I believe my body just said enough. So once I experienced the panic attacks it fueled to the fire, worry set in and it was a terrible cycle. I started it after my friend opened up. I didn't feel alone. The first week I experienced diarrhea three days. No insomnia, no weight gain. I'm calmer for sure!"

Ddc2030 April 28, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Horrible. I was put on it right after the birth of my 2nd son for anxiety. It took me 2 years to realize that the Zoloft was the cause of my increased desire to drink (I would drink a bottle of whiskey and think nothing of it, and before Zoloft, that never would have happened), weight gain (over 30 lbs) and overall depersonalized and foggy feeling. I felt like a robot going through the motions. I became very lazy (I am a go-go-go person. Never have I been lazy in my life) and it negatively affected my relationships with my husband and kids. I was just disinterested in everything. I was really unhappy. I never thought it was the Zoloft, I just thought I was a stressed, tired and burned out mom... I've successfully weaned off and will never take it again"

LilyMae39 April 19, 2016

"I'm at 5 months and I'm finally feeling better. The first 2 weeks were TERRIBLE (nausea, insomnia, increased anxiety). The first 2 months were bad but bearable, wouldn't have made it through without the emergency ativan my doctor prescribed me. Finally started to feel better around 3 months. Started at 25mg and slowly moved up in 12.5mg increments to 75mg. Also went to therapy, practiced mediation, and exercised to help recovery."

pennyls April 18, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I had some anxiety in college, then graduated, and the anxiety stayed. I used medication as my last resort, and after my doctor decided taking clonazepam everyday wasn't cutting it- I went on Zoloft. I expressed my concern about the weight gain aspect of this drug, and my doctor told me this was weight neutral....HA. a year later and I am 25 pounds heavier despite strict diet and exercise. The drug does wonders for anxiety, but I cannot deal with the weight. I am now considered obese. I've tried everything, and the only thing that seems to work is simply not eating (which obviously isn't practical). I am in the process of getting off this drug."

Lpars (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2016

"I am a former soldier who has suffered for 12 years with anxiety and panic . Some nights I would lie in bed and feel like my body was clenched trying to stop the anxiety , I would wake up having panic attacks . I tried citalopram but it made me feel like a zombie , I tried it for 1 year and came off . I tried CBT and it just didn't work . My doctor asked me to sertraline as I couldn't handle the anxiety anymore even after 12 years of resistance and methods to relax myself . So far I have had minor side effects , burning hands and neck but very occasionally and not severe and mild headache here and there , but my god I feel relaxed and composed , I'm 2 weeks in , I'm actually sleeping through and feel like it's starting to work ."

EvansCA April 11, 2016

"I have been on Zoloft for almost two years. It has done wonders for my anxiety. I used to have horrible panic attacks that would make daily things hard and nearly impossible to do. The first week I was on Zoloft it was hard. It makes you feel like crap but after the meds get in your system you start to feel better. I was first on the 25mg but had to get it raised up to 50mg. The side effects do come back when you raise the medication but it helps more than the 25 so I am glad that I raised the dose. One more raise and it should be perfect."

Tyler453 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 11, 2016

"I have been taking Zoloft for panic disorder/agoraphobia for just over a year. Literally best decision EVER!!! I'm on 50mg and had side effects (loss of appetite, nausea, tight jaw) for about a month but they COMPLETELY went away after that. And none of the side effects were honestly that big of a deal to me. It took about a solid 8 weeks for me to fully feel like it was working so hang in there if at the 6th week mark you don't feel much different! Zoloft has CHANGED my life. I can't even begin to describe it. I haven't had a panic attack since I started the medicine. I read so many reviews on so many different sites. All i can say is do not give up. I'm SOO glad I stuck it out. If Zoloft doesn't work, try another! *But patience is KEY."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 4, 2016

"I went on this website when I was just starting out on Zoloft and it helped calm my nerves so I wanted to return the favor. When I first got on the drug I had every side effect. Extreme nervousness, extreme anxiety, insomnia, dry mouth, dizziness and depersonalization. I thought it would never end. But just as most of these posts state, most of the side effects went away in 2-3 weeks. I started taking it at night but switched to the morning and that helped a lot. I'm on 25 mg and I have no plan or increasing the dose. I believe that everytime you lower or increase you will have side effects again. I wish I started on 12.5 mg(half a pill) because I think it would have helped with the side effects. The drug works... push thorugh!"

ladybot March 29, 2016

"I'm a 18 year old girl suffering from extreme panic attacks and anxiety. It had gotten to the point where I couldn't go through the day with out having a panic attack whilst screaming crying and pleading that I didn't want to live anymore, one night I woke up in pure panic and passed out with a BP of 79/60. I started taking Zoloft and it has completely changed my life and I believe it is saving me. I'm so much better now, it's incredible. I tried 5 different medicines before this, and this is the only one that has shown any improvement."

85Jess March 28, 2016