User Reviews for Sertraline

Also known as: Zoloft

Learn more about Sertraline.

Sertraline Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Zoloft (sertraline): "Have previously used progesterone tablets which worked fairly well however I had a break and then my gp told me to use these instead. Horrid 3 days! I could deal with the nausea and low mood as I was prepared for it, but I lost my orgasm on just 25mg and 3 tablets. Not for me!"

Sanderlair August 16, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I recently started zoloft [literally 3 days ago] 50mg daily, and I already am feeling level headed, less anxious and just simply good. After months of feeling suicidal, paranoid, depressed, and hopeless around the time of my menstrual cycle , it's helping. I truly believe this is not a placebo affect- as I am horribly negative around my menstrual cycle, I physically and mentally feel a change [more focus towards tasks and not current worries and willing to get up and go!] The PA i see said I could either take zoloft 3 weeks out of the month or I could take it daily for the whole month. I chose daily dosing. I'm so glad I made the leap to actually talk to someone and get a diagnosis of PMDD"

Nicoleashley88 July 2, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "I can say this medication works... I do not write reviews but I been that person on the net looking for answers for PMDD. I had all the signs of PMDD but most Doctors don't address mental issues during your well woman exam. I spoke with a NP one day and she listen. Zoloft work instantly... I feel normal for once in 9 years. I feel level headed. I hated the person I was.. I was mean and unapologetic. I was emotional wreck. I could cry at a drop of a hat. Zoloft takes that agitation and highs/lows away. If your pms is extreme get help, it's pmdd don't stop until you find a doctor that will listen. Zoloft might not be part of your success story but don't stop until you get your happy ending."

TexasGurl February 27, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): "Wow is all I can say. I didn't realize just how bad I really was until I started taking Zoloft. I lived in a world fighting panic every day....so angry and depressed. I didn't even know who I was anymore. I've been taking 50 mg daily for 2 weeks and am a completely different person. The side effects were minimal and manageable the first week and now are gone. Thank you Zoloft!!!!!"

Jennifer O January 25, 2016

"After living with horrible PMS symptoms for over 2 years, a doctor diagnosed me with PMDD. I had 3 weeks of pure hell and 1 week (my period) of feeling semi-normal. The mood swings were so intense, I felt like it wasn't me. I could feel myself getting emotional but I could not stop it. It was like I was outside looking back at myself. Extreme highs and extreme lows. I was violent and unstable. After about a month of being on the meds (25mg) I felt more normal than I had in 2 years. They really saved me. 6 months in (1pill a day) I am back to being myself. Side effects I have had: decreased sexual desire, dry mouth, some bouts of mild depression, dry mouth, nausea. I'm very happy with the medication."

Samela67 July 28, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "Since I'm on Zoloft I am calm and lovely person every day of every month. Before I was put on Zoloft every two weeks It was living hell for me and others around me with my mood changes. I was fighting with everybody, crying. I was depressed and miserable."

melitta (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "Awful side effects! Caused me to feel very uncomfortable in my own skin, confusion and dizziness, severe anxiety, jaw clenching so tight it hurt, muscle pain and stiffness, sent me into a panic attack, which was what I wanted to prevent in the first place!"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was put on Zoloft to regulate my moods as my hormones were very off kilter with extreme highs and lows. The medicine started taking effect with in a week and now I feel Very calm and relaxed all the time. The only side effects are that is leaves me Extremely tiered, and also with a bit of cotton mouth."

JeanBrz March 26, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I primary start taking Zoloft for panic attacks. But I also suffer from PMDD. I stopped being crazy prior to my menstruation cause of bc and zoloft.Until 6 months ago EVERY two weeks I was breaking up with bae. We get along on my period and one week after and then it will usually start. Third week of ciklus we didn't seeing each other and after that I usually get period and calm.It is surprise we didn't break up for good and I can't even describe what that does for our sex life.I had terrible fights with my mom and I felt like I'm most miserable person in world. Not anymore. I was scared when I stop taking birth control that I will again start acting nut but now is Zoloft taking care of that."

nadinatal (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I am 30 and have been taking Zoloft for just under a year (under the care of a great p-doc). Initially for depression and with graduated doses of 12.5, 25 to my current 37.5mg/day, I can say my PMDD has basically been cured with a LOW dose of this medicine! (>50mg = no orgasms). Since 12, I have been incapacitated not just by cyclical mood/anxiety issues--I felt "normal" for only about 1 week/month. But the WORST part was the abdominal cramps & the bloating/gas/messing with my GI tract, and 2-3 days/month were pure H#LL. Despite combo of heat, baths, 2 oz. liquor, MJ and 800mg Advil, nothing relieved my pain. On Zoloft, I barely notice my period and this is a miracle for me. Sertraline was discovered by chance, not engineered--a ( ) for me!"

Petrozadvo March 18, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): "I'm 18 years old and was diagnosed with severe PMS/PMDD about two and a half weeks ago. It was a relief to finally have a diagnosis because I had developed progressively worse physical and physiological symptoms in the two weeks before my period. It had started to interfere with my schooling since I'd miss two days per cycle at least (which is a lot for a high school senior with AP classes). I was prescribed Beyaz a month ago and quit after 3 days because I was an emotional wreck. Another week or so went by and my symptoms got worse again. My doctor finally prescribed me with a low dose (25mg) and upped it a few days later to 50mg. It took a few days to take effect (it was a hard time) but now I'm better than I've been in months."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) December 13, 2014

"My doctor prescribed 100mg for me when my symptoms start getting really bad before my period. I have PMDD. It's a severe form of PMS. Then 50mg throughout the rest of the month for my mild depression. Yesterday was my first day taking it, and I immediately felt effects. I was calm, kinda zoned out, which is what I wanted since I'm always on edge. The symptoms from PMDD are hurting my family and I'm really hopeful that this medicine will work."

paypay (taken for less than 1 month) December 9, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have been diagnosed with severe PMDD since the birth of my last child 4 years ago. I had her late in life (at 40) so the symptoms were confusing, PMS/Peri-Menopausal..combo of both. Either way I was ready to check into a funny farm and was in constant jeopardy of losing my job due to not being able to work 2-3 days a month or if I did manage to drag myself in I was unbearable to be around. I tried Prozac and initially helped but after 2-3 months of that I became manic and was worse. My OB suggested Zoloft and I reluctantly tried it as the next option was for hysterectomy because I cannot be on birth control pills. Zoloft helps at least for some of the worse symptoms!"

413 February 8, 2014

"I mostly used this medication for my anxiety disorder of obsessive compulsive disorder. I also used it for PMDD. It worked wonders for my anxiety. It also lessened my PMDD symptoms of strong irritability, sadness, and anger before my period. I loved it! The only downside was that it made me very tired, even on only 50mg. I didn't have much energy to workout. This made me gain 5 pounds and I eventually got off it because I love being an active person."

Margey123 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 10, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): "I started Zoloft in July. I never wanted to be on medication this was my last resort. I was a wreck mentally. I was only stable the week after my period, I would get very moody. My moods range from depression to panic attacks and so forth. The first 3 days were the hardest, the medicine seemed to make my symptoms worse than after about day 5 I felt the medicine start to do the opposite effect and I was more at ease. I am completing my fifth month on Zoloft and I am sure glad I started it. I am back to my old self but I'm not zoned out. I still have my real emotions, I'm just not as touchy as I was before Zoloft. I can get through the little things without having a mental breakdown."

Hopeful Again (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 12, 2013

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was diagnosed with PMDD and prescribed cyclical Sertraline. I can remember the day I started my period thinking how did that happen without all the stress anger and drama. I aliken it to having gas and air during labour. It just takes the top off the emotion and prevents the explosive outbursts of uncontrollable anger. I honestly thought i just had normal pmt until I saw my doctor, who upon asking me a list of questions, said the only one id replied no to was suicidal thoughts but it probably wouldnt be too long before I got there. Apart from a nasty headache on day 2/3 this drug has literally saved my family life."

goodasnew (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 12, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I've suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for about 5 years. I tried Seasonique for two years and thought it was working, but every time I had blood work done my markers for heart disease were off the charts. It was so strange and no one could figure out why. I also gained A LOT of weight. I stopped taking the Seasonique and went on the 50 mg Zoloft which I take from day 7 until I menstruate. It has changed my life. Before, I felt like abandoning my entire life and felt so guilty that I couldn't enjoy my children at all. But now I'm able to get perspective on things. I don't rage and I'm able to manage my PMDD. I would recommend it to anyone suffering. It's the only thing I take now and my blood work is all normal."

works for me! (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 6, 2013

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "After being diagnosed with PMS my doctor prescribed Sertraline on a cyclical basis. I take the tablets two weeks before my period and I can honestly say they have saved my life. I remember being so shocked when my period started for the first time on them because I hadn't had any of that awful build up of anger, depression and frustration. It was like a lead weight had lifted off my shoulders. I felt normal again."

Pyjamas February 17, 2013

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was on Lexapro for almost 5 years for depression, but told my Doctor about the extreme anger, anxiety and more depression I had been having, so she immediately switched to Zoloft. It's now been two months on Zoloft, and zero PMDD symptoms. My family is so glad I found this medication! "

Lisa T. (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2013

"I was taking Prozac (fluoxetine hydrochloride) for 10yrs to treat PMDD, postpartum depression, OCD. since I stopped this and started sertraline I realized the Prozac was weak in helping me! Sertraline's amazing! It has helped settle my major symptoms of illnesses above, I now live a normal life and everything isn't such a big deal to me anymore. I'm more rational and certainly don't turn into a monster in menstrual cycle. I'm much more calm and collected! Side effects I suffered sleepiness and irritability and dry mouth in the 1st week, that stopped. I persisted was going to stop thankfully I didn't! I have noticed as I have been on them 3 months now I have a decreased appetite, indigestion, slower digestive system which I can tolerate! Sometimes hyperactivity."

Mummy of 4 October 21, 2012

Zoloft (sertraline): "I have dealt with PMS for years. I finally found a doctor willing to listen and try to help. After discussing symptoms with her I was diagnosed with PMDD and put on Zoloft. In a matter of days I felt better than I have in years. It does tend to make me sleepy so I take it at night. Having a proper diagnosis and treatment saved my marriage, my job and my relationships with others."

Anonymous March 8, 2012

Zoloft (sertraline): "I just started Zoloft 3 days ago and am encouraged by those of you who say the drowiness goes away after a while. I am on the one week prior to my period regime, due to PMDD. It is amazing already how calm and patient I am with my kids and husband. I had been on other meds in the past for depression, but hadn't taken anything in a few years. I have to say for the last post, the Yaz can make you depressed and gain weight. I would have just done the Zoloft. Loving the Zoloft. Excited to see how I feel when the side effects go away."

Anonymous February 5, 2012

Zoloft (sertraline): "I was diagnosed with PMDD about 9 months ago, after tracking symptoms with my Gynecologist. We tried the Yaz/Zoloft treatment (25mg) for three months, one week prior to your period. The first month, it worked like a charm. The second, I started feeling off, almost numb to things. By the third, I was a basket case. This is also when the weight gain kicked in - I gained almost 15 lbs in 5-6 weeks. If I wasn't depressed before, this definitely did the trick. My Doctor then took me off the Yaz/Zoloft regimen and opted to stop my periods altogether, to stop the monthly hormone fluctuation. I have been on Seasonique for three months and it has been amazing! I am finally feeling back to myself after almost a year."

Anonymous December 6, 2011

Zoloft (sertraline): "First I will admit I am at wits end with PMDD. I was on Zoloft 100 mg. about 1 yr ago for about 3 months, and it was like a miracle pill. Then I started to research more about it and there was so much negativity toward weight gain while on it, and I did gain 10 pounds so I started to panic because I am already 50 pounds overweight. So I went against better judgment and went off of it. I went around the mountain over and over again trying to find a better solution, "Nothing was successful for me". I would rather be fat and happy than skinny and miserable for the rest of my life. I am going back on it in about a week. I am also going to be put on birth control pills to help with the hormones. "

Lillifee July 14, 2011

Zoloft (sertraline): "After I think years of suffering from PMDDs and it coming to a head this month (as I am in a highly stressful ongoing situation), I self-diagnosed and went to a psychiatrist who was super and put me on Zoloft - first pill last night and I already feel a difference, although have to go through the first week's adaptive side effects (drowsy and slight nausea) I am going to be also fascinated to see if the Zoloft will positively affect my over alcohol consumption which I of course now realize was me self medicating against the depression, trying to find a good mood feeling each day."

SARAMB February 16, 2011