User Reviews for Sertraline to treat Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder

Also known as: Zoloft

Sertraline has an average rating of 8.2 out of 10 from a total of 60 ratings for the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder. 80% of users who reviewed this medication reported a positive effect, while 13% reported a negative effect.

Sertraline Rating Summary

8.2/10 average rating

Compare all 39 medications used in the treatment of Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder.

Reviews for Sertraline

kristenk0709 · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 28, 2021

“I realized that my mood would plummet immediately after ovulation, and only get worse until the first day of my period. I started to worry when I started having suicidal thoughts. I started taking 50mg of sertraline and by the time my next cycle came around (only about 2 weeks after starting medication) it was a night and day difference. I used to look so forward to my period starting so my mood would lift, but my first period on sertraline actually came by surprise because I didn't even realize it was time. My husband said that he has noticed a huge difference in my mood leading up to my period. I was seriously losing half the month to pmdd despair and I feel like sertraline has given me that time back. The side effects starting out weren't too bad- loss of appetite for a few days, dry mouth, more frequent urination during the night (I take it right before bed). A month later those side effects are gone.”

G.E. · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2021

“It took 3-4 months for it to mildly help with hormonal mood swings, but made me emotionally numb (similar to my experience on Prozac) which is always what I want to avoid with medication. I was told to take it in the mornings, but it made me sleepy and unable to focus on work. When I switched to taking it at night, falling asleep became near impossible. I had expectations that it would stabilize my mood swings (it did; by completely numbing them) but I was also hoping to have more motivation and energy to complete work from home, which was just not the case... I stopped taking it after getting the dose lowered to 50mg. Withdrawal symptoms came on day 5 and included brain zaps, lightheadedness, agitation and mood swings. Withdrawals only lasted for around a week after that, so not too bad.”

123meds · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 26, 2021

“I was taking the pill (lucette) to help manage my PMDD - it worked but also led to weight gain and after nearly 2 years I had enough. I started on 25mg of sertraline and the side effects passed after a few days. I had some nausea, headaches and was clenching my teeth while sleeping. Those were the only negative things - it has been great otherwise - I didn't need to increase my dose 25mg daily works fine for me. I feel mentally lighter and very stable. Hope it can help others too.”

Andrea March 1, 2019

Zoloft (sertraline): “I used to cry uncontrollably, be extremely irritable, uncomfortable in my body, lethargic, so depressed I couldn't get out of bed, have suicidal ideation, etc. Now with Zoloft I have NONE of those symptoms anymore. My relationships are no longer being torn apart. I don't feel embarrassed by illogical mood swings or uncontrollable blabbering. I don't cry myself to sleep. I feel happy, optimistic, peaceful and completely BALANCED. Zoloft had given me my life back. I had to stop taking it for 2 months due to a different health issue. ALL of my symptoms returned. I was basically losing my mind for two months. A couple of weeks back on Zoloft and I was again calm, happy, peaceful. I don't have any noticeable side effects. I started at 25mg for the first 5 months (still got quite lethargic and depressed) and now I am on 50mg and I'm like all those women running through fields in white dresses in tampon commercials. Who knew, it isn't the tampons making them so happy...it's the Zoloft!”

M.M. December 13, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): “Wish I had started this years ago! I was terrified to start medication, it was the last resort after trying natural ways to deal w/ PMDD for years. Every month, I'd have serious depression/ anxiety/ uncontrollable crying spells/ want to leave my family the 4 days prior to period. As soon as my cycle started, I was completely normal. I thought it was just me, until I started tracking and was diagnosed with PMDD. I resisted using medication thinking I could handle symptoms on my own. Mistake. I started taking zoloft ONLY during my luteal phase and the very first month had relief! Since taking, my PMDD symptoms have almost completely subsided. I have not noticed any negative side effects. I was worried about diminished sex drive, but found that my sex drive has increased during the luteal phase since I'm not suffering from the effects of PMDD.”

the lynster September 14, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have been suffering from pmdd for years. It has had a tremendous impact on my relationships. Every month around that time I just wanted to leave my marriage. I was irritable beyond understanding and felt like punching something if I got angry. I would cry at the drop of a hat. I just wanted to be alone. I tried exercise, diet and natural remedies but it was never enough. I felt like I had a ball of metal in my stomach. I would scream and yell and get upset if you looked at me the wrong way. It was horrible. On zoloft I feel calm and stable. I have had no side effects. It has been a saving grace. My kids and husband are amazed. Thumbs up for zoloft. It saved me.”

TexasGurl February 27, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “I can say this medication works... I do not write reviews but I been that person on the net looking for answers for PMDD. I had all the signs of PMDD but most Doctors don't address mental issues during your well woman exam. I spoke with a NP one day and she listen. Zoloft work instantly... I feel normal for once in 9 years. I feel level headed. I hated the person I was.. I was mean and unapologetic. I was emotional wreck. I could cry at a drop of a hat. Zoloft takes that agitation and highs/lows away. If your pms is extreme get help, it's pmdd don't stop until you find a doctor that will listen. Zoloft might not be part of your success story but don't stop until you get your happy ending.”

Hopeful Again · Taken for 1 to 6 months December 12, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started Zoloft in July. I never wanted to be on medication this was my last resort. I was a wreck mentally. I was only stable the week after my period, I would get very moody. My moods range from depression to panic attacks and so forth. The first 3 days were the hardest, the medicine seemed to make my symptoms worse than after about day 5 I felt the medicine start to do the opposite effect and I was more at ease. I am completing my fifth month on Zoloft and I am sure glad I started it. I am back to my old self but I'm not zoned out. I still have my real emotions, I'm just not as touchy as I was before Zoloft. I can get through the little things without having a mental breakdown.”

Franky Krum · Taken for 6 months to 1 year July 21, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started taking Zoloft 12.5 mg for my premenstural dysphoric disorder and felt better immediately - went up to 25mg , and now steadily at 50 mg daily. It worked superbly for my PMDD and anxiety, though it did exacerbate my depression quite a bit (irritability), which I fixed with adding Wellbutrin. All in all this combination really worked for me and gave me the chance to see life as worth living. I could never maintain a decent lifestyle before, and now I can. Medications aren't a fix for everybody, but damn did this work well for me.”

Anonymous · Taken for 6 months to 1 year February 9, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have had PMDD for some time. I was initially prescribed Prozac and it did nothing. I take a high dose 100mg during luteal phase of period and it helps. Not symptom free but more manageable. The side effects are tiredness (too mellow and not hyper motivated) and weight gain but I can live with this instead of extreme mood changes prior to Zoloft. It also helps me manage work and personal life better. It takes the edge off. My symptoms include racing obsessive thoughts, anger, raging, paranoia primarily (general distrust of all human beings). I still get food cravings and some thoughts but they are dramatically reduced. I try to manage PMDD with diet, supplements (magnesium), yoga etc. Too. It is a tough mood disorder and wish I knew what I had years ago.”

works for me! · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 6, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “I've suffered from Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder for about 5 years. I tried Seasonique for two years and thought it was working, but every time I had blood work done my markers for heart disease were off the charts. It was so strange and no one could figure out why. I also gained A LOT of weight. I stopped taking the Seasonique and went on the 50 mg Zoloft which I take from day 7 until I menstruate. It has changed my life. Before, I felt like abandoning my entire life and felt so guilty that I couldn't enjoy my children at all. But now I'm able to get perspective on things. I don't rage and I'm able to manage my PMDD. I would recommend it to anyone suffering. It's the only thing I take now and my blood work is all normal.”

Schmerkle · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 2, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “I am taking 100 mg for anxiety and PMDD. On 50mg I noticed a difference but still had high anxiety. On 100mg the racing thoughts are gone and I am finally able to stick with a regular workout routine. It has literally changed my life for the better.”

Superlil August 15, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): “I had terrrrrible PMDD for years which got worse as I got older (I'm 44) I have been taking 25 mg of Zoloft for a year now and my symptoms are basically gone! I found sticking to as low a dose as possible helps in managing side effects.”

Pyjamas February 17, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “After being diagnosed with PMS my doctor prescribed Sertraline on a cyclical basis. I take the tablets two weeks before my period and I can honestly say they have saved my life. I remember being so shocked when my period started for the first time on them because I hadn't had any of that awful build up of anger, depression and frustration. It was like a lead weight had lifted off my shoulders. I felt normal again.”

melitta · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 17, 2015

Zoloft (sertraline): “Since I'm on Zoloft I am calm and lovely person every day of every month. Before I was put on Zoloft every two weeks It was living hell for me and others around me with my mood changes. I was fighting with everybody, crying. I was depressed and miserable.”

Anonymous March 8, 2012

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have dealt with PMS for years. I finally found a doctor willing to listen and try to help. After discussing symptoms with her I was diagnosed with PMDD and put on Zoloft. In a matter of days I felt better than I have in years. It does tend to make me sleepy so I take it at night. Having a proper diagnosis and treatment saved my marriage, my job and my relationships with others.”

Jennifer O January 25, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “Wow is all I can say. I didn't realize just how bad I really was until I started taking Zoloft. I lived in a world fighting panic every day....so angry and depressed. I didn't even know who I was anymore. I've been taking 50 mg daily for 2 weeks and am a completely different person. The side effects were minimal and manageable the first week and now are gone. Thank you Zoloft!!!!!”

LovingMotherx4 August 4, 2017

Zoloft (sertraline): “I wish that I would have started this drug much sooner. I was very reluctant to take an antidepressant mainly due to stigma. I felt immediate relief from anxiety, paranoia, irritability, hopeless, helpless, suicidal, depressed and feeling out of control. I have had major symptoms for several years premenstrual and it has been premenstrual dysphoric disorder. I am very thankful for Zoloft and I don't ever want to be caught without it it is the best thing that has happened to me in a very long time. The side effects are very minimal my side effects would include just being a little tired some gas and Mild diarrhea at times. I would trade this any day for the problems that I was having before I started taking Zoloft it truly has saved my life .”

goodasnew · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 12, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was diagnosed with PMDD and prescribed cyclical Sertraline. I can remember the day I started my period thinking how did that happen without all the stress anger and drama. I aliken it to having gas and air during labour. It just takes the top off the emotion and prevents the explosive outbursts of uncontrollable anger. I honestly thought i just had normal pmt until I saw my doctor, who upon asking me a list of questions, said the only one id replied no to was suicidal thoughts but it probably wouldnt be too long before I got there. Apart from a nasty headache on day 2/3 this drug has literally saved my family life.”

worleygirl41 November 16, 2009

Zoloft (sertraline): “I started taking 25mg Zoloft 3 weeks ago. The changes have been phenomenal in just that short a time. I have no PMS/PMDD symptoms at all right now. I hope they never return. Zoloft has changed my life. I hope it isn't too soon to tell if the good times will continue but I hope and pray they do. I haven't had any side effects except for one. If I take it in the morning, I get extremely sleepy by mid-afternoon. So I take it at night, problem solved. Maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but for so many years I have suffered from PMDD with no relief, that for once, I can brag about how good I feel now! I hope the same for other women experiencing PMS and PMDD.”

Lisa T. · Taken for 1 to 6 months February 3, 2013

Zoloft (sertraline): “I was on Lexapro for almost 5 years for depression, but told my Doctor about the extreme anger, anxiety and more depression I had been having, so she immediately switched to Zoloft. It's now been two months on Zoloft, and zero PMDD symptoms. My family is so glad I found this medication! ”

Nicoleashley88 July 2, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “I recently started zoloft [literally 3 days ago] 50mg daily, and I already am feeling level headed, less anxious and just simply good. After months of feeling suicidal, paranoid, depressed, and hopeless around the time of my menstrual cycle , it's helping. I truly believe this is not a placebo affect- as I am horribly negative around my menstrual cycle, I physically and mentally feel a change [more focus towards tasks and not current worries and willing to get up and go!] The PA i see said I could either take zoloft 3 weeks out of the month or I could take it daily for the whole month. I chose daily dosing. I'm so glad I made the leap to actually talk to someone and get a diagnosis of PMDD”

Tt June 23, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “My Doctor switched me to zoloft I was taking bupropion for about 5 months, but it was causing me to be snappy and a lot of anxiety. So he switched me to zoloft, its been 3 weeks and the first week and a half was the hardest I had nausea, diarrhea, tiredness. But it went away now I'm only tired at times but feel way better. I recommend it.”

413 February 8, 2014

Zoloft (sertraline): “I have been diagnosed with severe PMDD since the birth of my last child 4 years ago. I had her late in life (at 40) so the symptoms were confusing, PMS/Peri-Menopausal..combo of both. Either way I was ready to check into a funny farm and was in constant jeopardy of losing my job due to not being able to work 2-3 days a month or if I did manage to drag myself in I was unbearable to be around. I tried Prozac and initially helped but after 2-3 months of that I became manic and was worse. My OB suggested Zoloft and I reluctantly tried it as the next option was for hysterectomy because I cannot be on birth control pills. Zoloft helps at least for some of the worse symptoms!”

Mandy9124 · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 6, 2016

Zoloft (sertraline): “I tried this med as a last resort. I had already tried birth control, Prozac and then a hysterectomy. I went to a new doctor desperate to find anything that would help. The mood swings, hopelessness, anger and lack of interest was interfering in my home and work life. I have been suffering for years and it was only getting worse. She suggested trying this medication in combination with a low dose hormone supplement. It has worked wonders! I am taking the 100mg dosage and I haven't had any side effects. I am 5 days past the time my PMDD should be starting up and feeling great!!!”

Chels · Taken for less than 1 month February 7, 2020

Zoloft (sertraline): “The Zoloft worked amazing for me for PDD! This was my first cycle and I am extremely happy with the result. I took 1 week before my period, and this alleviated any anxiety I had been feeling the last 6 months.”

Anonymous April 9, 2010

Zoloft (sertraline): “I've been taking 25mg for PMDD for about a month and a half. On advice of my doctor I am taking it everyday instead of just during PMDD symptoms. It has been absolutely wonderful! The first couple of days I took the whole 25 mg in the morning. I found this to give me headaches and tremors. So I decided to split the pill in 2 pieces and take half in the morning and half with lunch. I only had to do this for about a week; I now take the whole 25 mg in the morning, with or without food, no problems. No serious side effects, definitely not enough to outweigh the benefits. Zoloft has absolutely given me my life back! I was afraid to take it, especially after all of the negative reviews, but I am so happy I gave it a try. Wonderful!”

Mollymoo2000 February 12, 2018

Zoloft (sertraline): “I took this for 7 days right before my period. Wow. The nausea and drowsiness the first 3 days was tough (horrible the first 24 hours, then got better). But this was the first month I didn't cry at the dinner table with my family in ages. My general mood was totally normal and not overly sensitive or aggressive. I didn't have any sexual side effects, and no menstrual cramps when my period arrived. I'm gong to try it again next cycle, hoping that the side effects diminish.”

Learn more about Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder