User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Learn more about Pantoprazole.

Peptic Ulcer 2 reviews 34 medications

Gastritis/Duodenitis 2 reviews 0 medications

5.5
Summary of Pantoprazole reviews 108 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Pantoprazole

For GERD: "Feeling dizzy , severe head-ache"

savithri srithar (taken for less than 1 month) January 20, 2017

For GERD: "Taking medicine to many years in my opinion."

Weawea (taken for 10 years or more) December 25, 2016

For GERD: "If you have diabetes type 2, I strongly urge you not to take this drug. Even though they say that increase of blood sugar is rare, this happened to me. About five days I started taking this drug (40mg), I started to feel lightheaded. My morning reading of blood sugar is normally about 6.6 three hours after breakfast, but I started getting readings of 11.6. I felt like hell. Even worse, the spike in blood sugar caused my blood pressure (controlled by medication) to also spike to about 165/80. I decided to stop the Pantoprazole. The lightheadness went away, and my blood pressure returned to normal. Be very careful with this drug. There are a couple of websites which warn of increase in blood sugar."

Piceno (taken for less than 1 month) December 23, 2016

For GERD: "While on this medication 20mg 2x daily I had chest pain and shortness of breath. I was taking to the hospital multiple times because I thought I was having a heart attack."

Timmy G. December 21, 2016

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Haven't been effective at all. Gave me severe headache. I switched to esomeprazole instead which was very very effective."

qqii (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2016

For GERD: "I have been on pantoprazole 40 mgs for a long time. I still vomit in my throat , have heartburn and my throat is hoarse and scratchy all the time ! In fact my whole life as far I I remember my throat was scratchy. I used to keep my family up at night as a kid always trying to clear my throat. Today I had bread and butter to eat and still want to vomit and uncomfortable in my chest ! I am off to vomit now just to give myself some relief. I do not eat spicy food yet still get it. I am at wits end. Maybe I should just stop eating all together ! Not sure of this is linked to what I suffer with. But I lost most of my back molars now even though I always brush my teeth at least 3-4 times a day Could this be from acid leaking up into my throat ?"

Abbygail23 November 27, 2016

For GERD: "I have been on 40 mg twice a day for 2 weeks. I can't shake this awful headache. Then a week ago I woke up feeling as though I was hit with the flu. Body hurting all over, severe headche, restless, no energy, cotton mouth to the extreme, no appetite. Been so sick haven't even noticed if the medicine is actually working for what I am taking it for. Went to the doctor tested me for flu, pneumonia, strep, u name it and found nothing. Pain is unbelieveable and continous. Stopped taking the medicine yesterday and showing huge signs of improvement. I will stick to my bottle of tums a day over that horrific pain. Not worth it. Hurt burn is pain full but at least I can go about my day with it. This medicine I couldnt even get out of bed"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 20, 2016

For Erosive Esophagitis: "I have been on pantaprozol for just over a week 4omg twice a day. Not noticed any difference . Have lost my voice for 6 weeks now . Been diagnosed with silent reflux. I've got dry mouth . Mouth ulcers sore tongue and my lips are very sore . ."

Gangi (taken for less than 1 month) November 18, 2016

For Stomach Ulcer: "This has been a miracle drug for healing stomach ulcers. It took about 6weeks to heal completely. No negative side effects from this drug only positive."

Lh0025 October 14, 2016

Protonix (pantoprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: "this is literally my 2nd day on protonix, and I am very happy. I will say I have experienced dizziness for about the first 2/3 minutes upon taking. I can deal with that; I am not experiencing acid reflux!!!! I have literally taken Prilosec for 6 years. I had the gastric sleeve which brings upon extreme heartburn"

Tracnicky October 7, 2016

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I have had severe Gerd/Acid Reflux for nearly 6 years. It has put me in the hospital 7 times now and has totally destroyed my teeth which I have always been meticulous about caring for. Presently, it's also causing me swallowing problems and voice troubles. The pain the Gerd can generate is an actual true "10"-Far far worse than the pain I experienced from a Quad Cardiac Bypass surgery. My doctor gave me Protonix for it and it worked Very well on reducing, perhaps, 80% of the pain. Unfortunately, the medication caused Peripheral Edema Big time and I had to go off of it again. The edema immediately went away, but the pain came back too. I have noticed this reaction from almost all proton pumps that I have tried to date."

Wagriff (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

For Erosive Esophagitis: "I was prescribed this medication to assist with treating my eosinophillic esophagitis. I have never in my life experienced so many horrific side effects from a medication. Cramping, abdominal pain, intestinal pain, gas, it was so bad that I could only tolerate the medicine for a week."

Robbie522 (taken for less than 1 month) August 4, 2016

For GERD: "I've been on Protonix for 2 weeks and feel awful. I have high pitched ringing in my ears, headaches, a lot of fatigue, and constantly feel like there is a lump in my throat that is very uncomfortable. I just feel beat up and wiped out! Saw dr. but she found nothing. Didn't look down throat very well though. Hate not knowing if it's Protonix but worried about stopping it to see."

Disfan (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2016

Protonix (pantoprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: "I just started Protonix 6 days ago. I feel beat up. Does the Propofol used to do the procedure hang on for this many days? If it doesn't , then the Protonix is causing several symptoms| Lethargy Dizziness Dry mouth And last and worst is constant ringing in my ears. It's getting very annoying Has anyone else experienced this crazy ear side effect?"

Eliza Doalot July 10, 2016

For Erosive Esophagitis: "I've been unwell for 2 years with nausea and reflux. I've tried almost everything, natural and rx, to no avail. My symptoms started getting even worse 2 months ago. Had an endoscopy this week and was put on pantoprazole. After ONE pill, I'm a new woman. I feel human again. Thank God for this med. I pray it continues to work for me."

Onesiepajamas (taken for less than 1 month) June 4, 2016

For Erosive Esophagitis: "I went to the ER yesterday thinking I was having a heart attack. It seems (will be further explored) that my low level GERD for which I'd been taking 20mg omeprazole, eroded my esophagus and I had esophageal spasms - unbelievable painful. Took the generic Protonix this morning and what a difference. No side effects whatsoever, but it's early days. Will see my primary and GI doc soon to delve deeper. However, I couldn't believe the instant relief."

SierraSong June 2, 2016

For Stomach Ulcer: "I gave it a 1 because the side effects for me were so severe. I can't tell yet whether it helped my stomach but I knew instantly I had to get off it. Further reading and other people's experiences sealed the deal for me. I went deaf, instantly jaundice face and eyes, eye sight went some days...some days not. I was taking other drugs that were compatible with it but the side effects I'm certain came from this one. Once I went off of it (I tapered down over a week while upping my diet based on my condition's needs) I had a severe headache for a couple of days, heart raced and a bit of nausea. Feel much better now and the jaundice is gone and after almost two months of not being able to hear, I hear a bit better today. I was taking 80mg"

Jewelgal (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2016

For GERD: "I was prescribed this medication because my insurance wasn't covering my previous medication which worked just right for me. This medication does ease the stomach pain but it gives me a nasty headache. The last headache that I had that was contributed by this medication lasted 5 days! Once I came to the realization that it was the Pantoprazole 40mg I stopped taking them and the headache went away."

gayle14587 (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

For Stomach Ulcer: "Seems to ease stomach pain."

nov021925 April 24, 2016

For Stomach Ulcer: "Starting taking this med after bleeding duodenal ulcer put me in hospital-Took for 2 weeks but my sugars started spiking near 400 no matter what I ate. This is not the drug for me or possibly any other diabetics out there with sugar control issues."

trish59 (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

For GERD: "I have been taking this medication for 6 years now religiously every morning. I am now concerned of the long term risks. They are linking this drug and other PPI's to a higher risk of devoloping dimensia. I take 40 mg. every morning and my doctor has prescribed me 20mg. So I can start to slowly lower myself off from taking so much. I have not started the 20 mg. yet since I've been on 40 mg. for years im afraid of how my body will react to it. Overall this medicine works better then any other medicine I have tried for my acid reflux. I don't think I will be able to live without it."

Nay84 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 6, 2016

For GERD: "I started taking pantopraxole 6 days ago as my insurance company would not let me continue taking esomeprazole because it was not on the "formulary". I had to be able to prove that other meds for the GERD were either not effective or caused too many side effects. At first, the pantoprazole seemed to work. Then last night I began having severe reflux and heartburn that were not relieved by the usual treatments I have used when I was on omeprazole, before I started taking Nexium (esomeprazole ). I was awake all night, unable to find anyway of relieving the heartburn and reflux. This morning, I developed severe stomach pain which also was not relieved by any other home treatments. I refuse to ever take this drug again!"

mtnrose (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2016

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I took this medication until my HMO dropped it fron their formulary. While taking it, I felt great. I took only one a day and, if I forgot to take it or forgot to refill it before running out, I could miss a day or two without the heartburn returning. My doctor subsequently put me on Prilosec, twice a day. If I miss one, heartburn returns with a vengeance. If I miss a whole day, it takes three to five days to get the heartburn under control, again"

DublJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2016

For GERD: "Perhaps this was because it is my only prescription that I use. Reading other persons' negative results may perhaps be due to interaction with other prescriptions."

My results were excellent. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I had heartburn and a history of an ulcer so my doctor put me on Protonix and when taking it daily I feel great, however with the new information about this kind of drug being linked to dementia and also that is can cause one to be addicted to it and cause rebound acid I decided to stop it. I am on day 4 and now a mild constant burning is in my stomach and often back up to my chest. I was given them for heartburn but the doctor wrote gerd and later I developed gerd on days I tried not to take it so I am concerned about this all coming back by 10 times worse. I am looking into a natural alternative first as dementia is all around in my family and my new holistic/medical doctor says this type of drug is dangerous."

TerryTwoHearts February 22, 2016