User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Pantoprazole has an average rating of 5.5 out of 10 from a total of 286 ratings on Drugs.com. 42% of those users who reviewed Pantoprazole reported a positive effect, while 42% reported a negative effect.

GERD
1.5
Summary of Pantoprazole reviews 5.5 286 reviews

Reviews for Pantoprazole

Jelle · Taken for less than 1 month April 30, 2021

For GERD: “I took 3x20mg tablets over the space of about 10 days. The first thing I started to notice was a pounding heartbeat and constant "hot" headache which progressed to dangerous levels of blood pressure, blurred vision, chest pains, waking in the night having panic attacks, pressure in the left ear and whirring/ringing sounds. Sensitivity to sound as well. I honestly thought I was going to have a heart attack. I'm so glad I found this page but I'm so angry with my doctor for suggesting I take 2x20mg per day knowing I have existing heart problem. I swear if I'd followed her advice I would've ended up in big trouble. It's been a week and I'm still experiencing the side effects.”

Danny · Taken for less than 1 month April 28, 2021

For Stomach Ulcer: “Be very careful with this drug, it has horrible side effects. I took it for 4 days and gradually got more and more tired to where I couldn’t hardly move when awake, yet I still couldn’t fall sleep. First time ever feeling like this. It made me go crazy and end up in a mental ward. After a day of not being on it I felt almost perfect and had no more issues. I took pepcid for a couple weeks and my stomach ulcer caused from too much NSAID’s was better. My advice, stick with over the counter meds like Pepcid and watch out for the mental effects of this.”

Anonymous April 26, 2021

For GERD: “I got acid reflux and the doctor prescribed pantoprazole. The side effects are brain fog, ringing in my ear, weakness, depression and anxiety. The dizziness was so horrible until I passed out and my husband found me on the kitchen floor which is very terrifying. Then, they prescribed Ativan, Sertraline Hydrocloride and I was told to seek help from mental health. I am a health care worker for over more than 10 years and I can say I am a very healthy individual until I had the GERD issue. The Pantoprazole just so awful why they are even out in the market?? I just stopped taking all the medications and do some juicing and a good diet. I am at home now for medical EI. let's see how it goes. Hopes everything goes well and please say a prayer for me to get better!!!”

Pumpsi · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 8, 2021

For GERD: “14 month ago my GI put me on 40mg Pantoprazole for Gerd and Esophagus erosion . My Gerd seemed better, but not resolved, but I continued taking it. Then came Covid 19 1 month later. More and more I felt really sick with bloat, joint pain , severe back pain and extreme tiredness and NO energy , headaches, depression and anxiety. Also blurry vision and brain fog. I thought, it was all due to stress because of Covid . My physical being changed so drastically during this time. Now for the first time I researched the side effects of this drug and the realization set in that these are probably all side effects from this drug! I will not take it any longer and hope that I might start feeling better ! Often I thought that I was on my death bed feeling so awful ! Could these have been all the side effects of this drug ?”

Eva · Taken for less than 1 month July 3, 2020

For Stomach Ulcer: “The doctor prescribed this drug to heal my stomach after having nausea and no appetite. After taking this drug I have experience really bad side effects which have affected me so much. Depression and extreme crying, anxiety to the point of having chest pains and tight chest feeling, joint pain, pins and needles, fever, gas and bloating, extreme nausea and no desire to eat, abdominal pain, brain fog, weakness and tired, insomnia, headaches. This has made me go to the ER thinking something serious was wrong with me. Being off of this medication for 2 days and symptoms are subsiding but still present. I was finally able to regain some appetite and eat again. I am sharing my story to let others know of the serious side effects of this medication.”

Pj July 21, 2020

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: “I started taking protonix 40mg once daily after they took Zantac off the market. I started having a lot of stomach pain, gas, bloating, and watery diarrhea. It took me a while to figure out it was the protonix. I stopped taking it and replaced it with Pepcid complete once a day. Almost immediately those symptoms went away. I would be very careful taking this drug.”

Hotshot · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2020

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: “I have GERD. I couldn't eat anything. I was give protonix by the ER. Pain stopped I changed my diet drastically and slowly weaned myself from Protonix. Prior to this I tried Zantac, Nexium and Prilosec however I choose not to take these meds anymore and stick to my diet of low fat, low carb, no salt, no sugar and no fast, frozen or processed foods and I have lost weight and feel great with no pain. I also avoid smoke. when I was first prescribed these medication I didn't like any of them. I don't feel it's a good idea to inhibit the bodies natural processes so I make better food choices”

ESB · Taken for less than 1 month February 18, 2020

For GERD: “I was prescribed 40 mg of Pantoprazole for GERD, the doctor prescribed me 30 tablets out of the 30 I’ve taken 22 and I’ve been having chest pain, shortness of breath, and very lightheaded(dizzy) like I’m going to pass out. I was just released from the cardiologist and everything was okay. So I decided to research patient reviews on this medicine and I’ve read I’m not the only one with these side effects. I’ve even experienced headaches daily with leg cramping. This medicine isn’t good for me and I wouldn’t want no one else having to get these side effects. I’ve been to the ER twice since taking this medicine. The medicine has me thinking I was having a heart attack, there was several other test ran for them to say everything is normal.”

Anna · Taken for less than 1 month December 28, 2020

For GERD: “I took this pantoprazole for less than 24 hours and I have to say it was not a good experience. I had heart racing, massive headache, an odd tingling sensation, shortness of breath, excessive fatigue, dry mouth, and anxiety. I’m feeling slightly better this morning, but woke up feeling dehydrated despite drinking my weight in fluids yesterday. I will say I had a reaction to another similar medication to this as well which is why I switched to this one, so I don’t know if my body is just sensitive to these types of meds or what. I will never take these or anything like it again and I’m surprised that they get away with saying reactions are rare when clearly that’s not true. I started taking a probiotic and that has helped so far I think. Just hoping it didn’t do any long term damage.”

Jordan January 6, 2020

For GERD: “I told my ENT doctor that in the past year or two I had been losing my voice and had a kind of tired throat. Nothing severe but worrying. A GI doctor did an endoscopy and told me I had esophagitis and prescribed 40mg of Pantoprazole. On the 3rd or 4th day on Panto, I woke up with a burning sensation in my throat and a horrible acidic taste in my mouth. This was the end of November. It is now January 6 and I have been off the drug (including trying Omeprazole for 3 weeks, with no help) for a month and these NEW symptoms have not gone away. I have begged multiple GI doctors for help and none of them will admit this drug did this to me. None of them have given me any advice or recommended anything to help this, nor will they acknowledge the drug could cause this reaction. Life has been an absolute nightmare ever since taking Pantoprazole and I would highly suggest people try other options before trying it.”

Sunshine · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 22, 2021

For GERD: “I was put on pantoprazole almost 2 months now . I first started and it seemed to be working. I just received my COVID vaccine and thought. I was having a bad reaction from the injection . I just out of the blue googled the side effects from pantoprazole and I have almost all of them. Crazy - I've been wondering why I'm so dizzy all the time with nausea, diarrhea, intense anxiety and more acid waking me up + gas and burping . I'm done !! Tired of trying meds ..that don't seem to work.”

M April 4, 2020

For Stomach Ulcer: “Currently taking pantoprazole 40mg twice daily for a bit over 2 months now, for treatment of a possible ulcer and as prophylaxis while on extensive anti-inflammatory medications for another condition. Works great as far as I can tell, and I can't think of any side negative effects except some very mild stomach upset within ~20 minutes to an hour after taking it. I'm unfortunately very prone to side effects from medications, so I figured I'd write this review to help reassure people who might be seeing all the negative reviews on here.”

Sp00ns · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 2, 2021

For GERD: “I’ve had acid reflux for awhile now, alongside POTS, women’s health issues, blood clots, severe anxiety/depression, and more. Needless to say, I’m a complicated case. However, I asked my doctor for something to control the incessant heartburns, pain, and GI issues it’s caused. After Pepcid failed me, she prescribed Pantoprazole. It helped my symptoms within 24 hours. I could eat anything I wanted, and I wouldn’t have heartburn or anything. However, I noticed over the course of 2 months on this, my anxiety has increased so much that it’s causing more frequent panic attacks, or makes me feel all day/night like I’m going to have one only for it to never go away, and makes me feel unable to break out of the anxiety. Definitely recommend if you’re having GERD issues, but if you have any anxiety/depression, be prepared that while you get the upside with treating the GERD, the additional anxiety can be the downside of taking this.”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2021

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: “My stomach really started hurting on Dec 23rd. I’ve battled reflux many times over the years. I’m 57 but not like this. I started on Pantoprazole on Monday this morning my stomach is starting to feel bit normal. I hope so as I’ve had this gnawing nausea although has gotten slightly better at times since 23rd. even few occasions like I never had it but didn’t last long. I have slight other symptoms as you all know heartburn indigestion slight feeling through but it’s the stomach that worries me anyone have any thoughts about stomach nausea I’d love to hear. And does it take the meds time to fully kick in. Thank u to everyone nothing short of GODS blessings always.”

Mili · Taken for less than 1 month December 29, 2020

For GERD: “My GI prescribed this medication for stomach pains and Acid Reflux. Now I have daily stomach pains, neck ache, upper back pain, headache and joint pain. OMG I feel miserable. I can't believe this drug is still being prescribed. Stopped cold turkey after 3 weeks of nightmare. Been off it for 4 days and still not completely better. Wonder how long the side effects will last...?”

Never Again · Taken for less than 1 month June 15, 2020

For GERD: “I have been taking Pantoprazole, 40mg for 25 days. Side effects, (which I hadn't realized were side effects until coming here), headaches like I've never experienced before and they have been almost constant for days. Racing pulse, palpitations, shortness of breath, constipation and now my sleep is being affected. It initially helped with the issues I was having but the headaches alone have been unbearable, like I have almost gone to the hospital unbearable.”

Canuck · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 28, 2020

For GERD: “Was having so much trouble with my stomach so finally started taking this pantoprazole. I had been living on Tums, so was so very happy to find it worked right away. Have had NO side affects whatsoever.”

Monolu · Taken for less than 1 month February 16, 2020

For GERD: “Took pantoprazole 20mg for 10 days for GERD. It did reduce my stomach acid but gave me: constant pain/tightness in the chest and upper back, shortness of breath, overall body aches, feverish and fluey feeling. I stopped it and am looking for an alternative.”

Jilly October 31, 2020

For GERD: “Prescriptions for GERD did not work for me. Changing eating habits and choosing healthy foods helped with my GERD. I did a lot of research too about natural remedies. 1 tablespoon of ACV and 1 tablespoon organic raw honey on 8 oz of warm water cured my acid reflux symptoms/GERD. You can increase this to 2 tablespoons. I drink this first thing in the morning and whenever I have heartburn and acid reflux.”

Mila October 18, 2019

For GERD: “I've been having acid reflux for a couple of months now but it was never bad enough for me to want to take medication for it. My doctor had prescribed me pantoprazole but I never reached for it because I was wary about it and my symptoms were not severe. A week ago, my symptoms worsened slightly and I decided to give it a try. With each day that I took it, my acid reflux got worse and worse as well as my anxiety. I had intense nausea, an awful taste in my mouth, burning and squeezing sensations in my chest, and my throat was constantly tight. I thought that maybe it would get better but my symptoms worsened so much that by the 3rd day, I couldn't tolerate it anymore. I stopped taking the pantoprazole and it's been 3-4 days ever since, and I'm still battling the symptoms the drug worsened. I know this drug may work for some people but it definitely didn't work for me, and I'd recommend to not take it.”

Betsy October 18, 2019

For GERD: “Got a pain in my stomach and went to the GI Doc. He did an endoscopy. He prescribed Pantoprazole before the procedure to reduce inflammation and it turned out I did not have any inflammation. Post procedure, he advised I keep taking it. Side effects were severe. I stopped taking it. I DID NOT HAVE GERD before this. The question is WHY are GI docs prescribing it with impunity! I now have GERD - a condition that I will have to live with for the rest of my life. THIS DRUG IS POISON!”

MsS · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2020

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: “I took this for about 2 and a half months. Half way through I told my Dr it wasn't working. He said I was under stress. Not. Then I developed a hot, itchy rash on my arms and face. They told me to stop taking it and start Nexium. I didn't because to me they seem to have the same risk. Being off Protonix is almost as bad as being on it. Terrible acid reflux. I am sleeping sitting up, I can't eat very much, I can hardly wake up and start falling asleep around 7 PM and I have had a headache off and on for 3 days. Going to an Internal Medicine Specialist next because I’d like to know the reason for the reflux I have had for 1.5 years not just take a medication.”

Noodle · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2019

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: “I have had acid reflux disease for four years. I tried prilosec. I lost thirty pounds to try to help my reflux, I changed my diet, and I took an extreme amount of rolaids. Nothing worked and I was miserable. Finally got my GP to listen and put me on this stuff after a family member recommendation. It is wonderful. It is like I never had reflux to begin with. It helped me get my life back. My only concern is the side-effects for long term use seem scary. But if I don't treat the reflux, I will end up with barrett's esophagus, which puts me between a rock and a hard place.”

Dev · Taken for less than 1 month April 7, 2021

For GERD: “I started taking this once daily for GERD for a total of 30 days. On day 1 I felt like the room was spinning but that got better after the first day. Every other day since then, I’ve experienced very low energy, brain fog, and exhaustion from the smallest physical activity (and I’m a very active and fit person); these sensations have led to panic and anxiety. I went to my doctor and a blood test came back normal; doctor said the symptoms I was describing weren’t related to this medication but I didn’t remember feeling this way prior to taking these meds. I’ve experienced ringing in my ears, bloated belly and sugar cravings. My GERD is gone but if it comes back I will ask my doctor for an alternative option for treatment.”

Anu October 2, 2020

For GERD: “Took this stuff for 4 months on my GIs advice. I absolutely felt pathetic while I was on it ( stomach cramps, constipation, dizziness, headaches and more). Finally the day arrived when GI said stop doing it (cold turkey), oh boy! It made my life miserable from that day. My b12 went super low (close to 100), I developed gastritis and my GI wanted me to do Prilosec now. What an idiot! Started Pepcid now to manage the acid rebound from my initial dosage of 4 months. Never ever going back on this rubbish again.”

Beekeeper :) November 22, 2020

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: “I went to the doctor with bloating issues and I have had acid reflux plenty over the years but I guess it finally caused me more problems because the doctor told me I had Gastritis with possible Peptic Ulcer. She prescribed Pantoprazole for 8 weeks. Well it started to help with the bloating within the first week but I had some strange things going on, I was dizzy as heck for the first week and then I started to get abdominal pains around my ribs and lower back, my leg muscles were sore sometimes for brief periods and I also felt like there was a lump in my throat. I do have terrible anxiety and panic attacks, so I tend to make things worse by worrying all the time thinking I'm dying from unknown issues which is terrible. I have read a lot of these reviews and see some similarities in my experiences with this drug, I have 21 more pills to take and can't wait to get off of these, Funny thing is I NEVER had these problems until I started taking this drug !!”

Ms. B · Taken for less than 1 month May 26, 2020

For GERD: “I took this for GERD. I took twice. Horrible stomach ache/ gas. Also made me feel weird. I even started feeling super anxious and depressed.. started crying and feeling hopeless. Also did nothing for my symptoms. Although I wasn’t on them long enough to help. They made my reflux worse!! Horrible medication. Never again!”

Refluxsuperhero · Taken for 2 to 5 years December 29, 2019

For GERD: “I have taken 40mg Pantoprazole for about five years for reflux. Went to doc because I was hoarse for a long period of time. Doc said it was acid reflux. I thought, NO WAY, because I’ve had acid reflux before after eating pepperoni or something, which was just horrible. Went to gastro doc and he confirmed acid reflux and put me on Pantoprazole, 2 per day. I quickly stopped taking the morning one because I just didn’t need it. After about five years the pharmacy filled my script with Pantoprazole manufactured by Kremers Lannett (white pill) instead of the normal manufacturer, Teva USA ( yellow pill). Within a couple weeks I was having to sleep sitting up and acid was still bubbling up. Horrible!!! Took wife’s yellow pills and it immediately cleared up. Weird!!”