User Reviews for Pantoprazole

Stress Ulcer Prophylaxis

1 review 28 medications
Summary of Pantoprazole reviews 7.0 169 reviews

Reviews for Pantoprazole

For Barrett's Esophagus: "On prantoprazole 40mg twice daily and got a side effect reaction of excess gas build up in the stomach causing pressure and pain. Switch to omeprazole 40mg so far no side effects."

W1z4rd (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 23, 2019

For GERD: "Would only last about 10-12 hours and still experienced acid creeping up my throat at night and difficulty swallowing, especially rice. Switched to generic prilosec, so much better. Quells all symptoms and lasts a full 24 hours."

Hans (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 16, 2019

For Gastritis/Duodenitis: "Took pantoprazole for 2 weeks. It helped the gastritis somewhat but the side effects were not worth it. Bloated, gassy, constipated, and just plain miserable. Everywhere I went smelled like fart. Not like normal fart, but super mega supreme farts. My couch smelled, my bed smelled, & I even heard a couple complaints in the grocery store! My butt was constantly leaking rank farts beyond my control. At first, I had to use coffee to be able to go #2, but then I wasn't able to go at all. I even tried Miralax, which normally helps with occasional constipation, but even that didn't work, just caused fluid to get stuck in my bowel. You could press on my lower abdomen & hear squelching but I could still barely go at all! 2 days after stopping this medication, and my bowels finally released. It's been about 5 days now, and I've lost about 5 lbs from pooping. I weigh just under 130 lbs, so 5 lbs of crap is a lot on my small frame. I seriously looked prego. I'm going back to Pepcid."

Missy March 12, 2019

For GERD: "finally got relief, no side effects"

katecanadian (taken for less than 1 month) March 5, 2019

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I started on Zantac and it just stopped working for me. I've been taking this pill for years and it does wonders! I have 0 noticable side effects. Its important to take it both every day and before you eat or it is not as effective."

Steph (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 24, 2019

For Barrett's Esophagus: "I have had Barretts Esophagus for years. I have taken ranitidine and omeprazole daily. Had a friend tell me her husband took the protonix and then when he had his scope they never saw barretts. Same thing happened to me I ask dr to switch and after a while had scope and they never saw it on me either..just saying"

Believer (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 18, 2019

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I have had acid reflux disease for four years. I tried prilosec. I lost thirty pounds to try to help my reflux, I changed my diet, and I took an extreme amount of rolaids. Nothing worked and I was miserable. Finally got my GP to listen and put me on this stuff after a family member recommendation. It is wonderful. It is like I never had reflux to begin with. It helped me get my life back. My only concern is the side-effects for long term use seem scary. But if I don't treat the reflux, I will end up with barrett's esophagus, which puts me between a rock and a hard place."

Noodle (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2019

For GERD: "I started Protonix 40mg after having an endoscopy which found I had mild gastritis. My gastro doc told me to take this for a few months. After a few months I tried to stop it and was hit with terrible acid reflux a few days after discontinuation. I've never had acid reflux in my life until trying to get off this med. It works very well for acid reflux, but your stomach gets so used to it blocking stomach acid that without it your stomach overproduces stomach acid. Also heard somewhere that longterm use (years) could increase your chance of developing dementia. Anyway I've tried to taper off this drug many times in the 4 years I've been taking it and each time can't because the acid reflux is too bad. Wish my doc would have told me this is a short term drug. Trying to find the least painful way to get off this med..."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 1, 2019

For GERD: "Took protonix for about a week and had terrible side effects. The burning in my chest was excruciating even when drinking water. Also my chest hurt and my muscles felt very sore. I was miserable. I switched to nexium and symptoms improved within 4 days. Never taking that drug again."

Airlynn (taken for less than 1 month) December 22, 2018

For GERD: "Tried others. Nothing works except protonix"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 15, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "Upset stomach, insomnia and all the other side effects that you hate."

PastaMan46 (taken for less than 1 month) December 3, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: "Do NOT use this medication. This medication caused me to have drug induced lupus. Three months after stopping this medication and still dealing with daily affects of this drug. There have been warnings issued by the FDA regarding the dangers of PPIs and the negative side effects. This drug is not safe in my opinion."

Blue (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2018

For GERD: "Instead of fixing my acidity it increased and now my stomach is more sensitive that it has ever been. I can't eat almost anything. I have acidity on basic foods like pear, boiled vegetables and bread. So yeah, don't recommend to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I've been on Protonix for about 6 years and, to put it simply, it works perfectly for me without any side effects. If I don't take it I have constant, severe heartburn (I have a hiatal hernia, gastritis, and GERD that resulted from an h.pylori infection that went undetected for what I assume is several years). When I do take it, I can eat literally anything and not get heartburn."

Beanie (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 30, 2018

For GERD: "Painful Headaches after 2 days...Currently in bed now waiting for it to run it's course...Will not be taking anymore of this med"

K (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I have both IBS and Gastritis. Protonix has been a complete game changer for me. Without it I have chronic nausea, difficulties tolerating food, vomiting, low energy and headache. My days were very difficult prior to being prescribed this med. I feel incredibly better."

Jenny (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 7, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole) for GERD: "I have had GERD as long as I can remember. It wasn't quite so bad before pregnancy that I decided against medication. Since becoming pregnant, it was to the point of throwing up stomach acid a few times a day & I could barely move. We tried a few other medications that just did not work. I have been on protonix for 1 month & I have not had a single bit of heartburn since the very first day I took it."

Rhi (taken for less than 1 month) September 30, 2018

For Barrett's Esophagus: "Diagnosed GERD years ago was on Prevacid every day for a few months. Then as needed. This year surgery to remove melanoma off neck, so put all way under with a general anaesthetic Iafter that started having severe heartburn again with stabbing back can’t sleep kind. They scoped me. Colon fine but have Barrett’s Esophagus. Back on Prevacid & famotidine. had abdominal pains so asked to switch to Pantaprazole. I started having globus sensation in throat chest pressure lotta gas. Meanwhile they said gallbladder had to come out 4 wks ago. During recovery went into AFib. It came back went to ER and admitted me, ran heart tests. Heart muscle good. So now on heart meds & pantaprazole. I have heavy chest pains globus sensation in throat they say is esophagus -doubled my pantaprazole. It seems like that is not going away. Now AFib is worse &.keeping me up. I have insomnia anxiety & lotta gas. Maybe AFib & chest, insomnia may be pantaprazole. Have Prevacid left. I’ll try that again for a week and see. Maybe all this insomnia gas heart problem is from pantaprazole."

Davylove September 29, 2018

For GERD: "I've been on pantoprazole for one week. I was sent to GI from my PCP because of a inflammation in my throat, the DR said I may have GERD and wants to do a endoscope in one month after being on this med. Since taking it I've been dizzy, heart palpitations, anxiety, insomnia and a ridiculous head ache. I'm not taking any more after today, can't take the side effects nor do I feel this is my issue. I also went to my endocrinologist and she informed me that the inflammation is from my enlarged thyroid (after doing an ultrasound)."

Wow September 26, 2018

For GERD: "I’ve always had heartburn but not to the extent that it lasts 3 days straight in a row . I went to my family doctor and he prescribed 40 mg Pantaprazole that evening I took 1 pill, the next 2 days were absolute hell. It started off with a huge headache than both of my arms started to hurt than my chest , the back of my neck started aching and burning and than my jaw. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack. I will never take this medication again."

R (taken for less than 1 month) September 24, 2018

For GERD: "Took several YEARS for GERD and no doctor even thought to check it. (Apparently it's not supposed to be taken longer than a few MONTHS.) I ended up having severe pain in my abdomen (of all places!). Colonoscopy was clear but Endoscopy showed many bloody fibroids in my stomach. Gastroenterologist removed about 20 of them and said there were many more. Switching to an OTC helped them all heal."

marymaymikul62 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2018

For GERD: "After 2 days of taking, I felt worse . Horrible stomach pains and bloating. Could not sleep because of the pain. Went to the doctor and he told me not to take it again."

Cyn (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2018

For GERD: "I have taken Protonix 40 mg for acid reflux for years, and it worked wonders; I did not have to take it each day ( long term), but whenever I had issues with swallowing (dysphagia), heartburn, acid reflux, feeling that something is stuck in throat, esophagitis, etc., I would ask for this medication and it provided instant relief. Other PPI medications did not work well for me. Hopefully I will be totally relieved from any symptoms in its entirety. Good luck all."

Teary Eyes (taken for 10 years or more) August 9, 2018

For GERD: "20mg worked really well with heartburn/reflux symptoms, but unfortunately this gave me terrible bloating, constipation and horrific smelling wind (literally had to open windows and put a fan on to air out ONE small room, and even then it still stank and lingered - talk about embarrassing and unpleasant). Not to mention I looked like a combination of 6 months pregnant/ a fat overstuffed sausage around my lower stomach which was very distressing and made me even more self conscious - (I'm a very petite woman and it was so bad it was showing through even my loosest t-shirts) like the awful wind wasn't enough! Perhaps it will work for you but I cannot say I'd recommend as it was awful. As soon as I stopped the digestive issues began to ease off , literally 24+ hours after the last dose I was already getting relief from the constipation & bloating. It's a no from me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2018

For GERD: "I was given Protonix to replace Prilosec a few months ago. My doctor said it would help with reflux in my esophagus. However it made the heartburn return worse than I ever had. It felt like I was going to vomit lava. I went to urgent care and they gave me a GI cocktail to relieve the pain and told me to stop Protonix immediately. I’m back on Prilosec now. Protonix did ease the discomfort in my esophagus but made the heartburn unbearable."

Mt July 11, 2018