User Reviews for Pantoprazole to treat Barrett's Esophagus

Also known as: Protonix, Protonix IV

Pantoprazole Rating Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 16 medications used in the treatment of Barrett's Esophagus.

Reviews for Pantoprazole

anon · Taken for 1 to 6 months July 18, 2020

“I was diagnosed with Barrett esophagus without dysplasia. GERD is mostly asymptomatic, the endoscopy was for something else. Started taking the meds in the middle of the day, 30 minutes before lunch. After a month I saw an article saying that it should be taken 1 hour before food in the morning (thanks for the disinformation, doc). Things were mostly going well, but the fear of developing cancer was too high to ignore the consensus coming from the NIH. So I changed my routine. Things got bad from there. Diarrhea even worse than IBS flare ups, pain, nausea, cannot put anything in my mouth without having to run for the bathroom and it is a lot of mucus. Have to run to the bathroom even before eating anything. Water is no help. And the almost inexistent reflux that I had before hit me hard for a few days. Pretty weird and my quality of life has gone down in just one week. Trying to go back to my old regimen until I can get a hold of the doctor”

Laurie · Taken for 10 years or more April 27, 2020

Protonix (pantoprazole): “After starting with OTC drugs for acid reflux for several years, it was necessary for me to begin a prescription drug. I have taken Pantaprozole for over 10 years with no side effects. Works very well.”

Years of treatment · Taken for 10 years or more April 7, 2020

“Diagnosed with Barrett's 15 years ago. Have switched medicines from time to time. Omeprazole, then Rabeprazole, now Pantoprazole. Not all suppliers are the same either. I found that two kinds of rabeprazole were good but not two others were effective. Now, on pantoprazole, one kind is effective (Camber) but two others were not. For the person that has heart beat problems, I found this happened to me when the reflux ramped up. I heard it was because the nerves that direct heartbeat are somewhere near the diaphragm/esophagus and were being affected. I had similar heartbeat issues but ONLY when the reflux occurred. Check with your doctor on this!”

meemaw1958 · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 26, 2019

“Pantoprazole works for my stomach. Would recommend it.”

jisduit · Taken for 1 to 2 years June 26, 2019

“So what I read this is supposed to be a "short term" med When my GERD acts up - I loose voice and feel a constant lump in throat nothing seems to help- I look on web - also have allergies/post nasal drip- Yes even drinking water seems to make worse - I eat a lot of bread I eat a lot of cottage cheese. Learned today that stuffed olives may even help - lol. I have had 2 scopes - both Barretts but biopsy shows no cancer - then I read this drug may cause stomach cancer. Started having problems again a few weeks ago with throat - started back on drinking lots of water, allergy spray and Pantoprazole only to have headaches, no energy, extreme gas, insomnia and watery stools - after a week I still have no voice/feeling weaker because of all the pooping. Also learned the med depletes Vit B ?? I will not take tonight or ever again - will go get Nexium which I took in past and try to get my voice as well as my bowl habits back BE VERY CAREFUL OF THIS MEDICATION”

W1z4rd · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 23, 2019

“On prantoprazole 40mg twice daily and got a side effect reaction of excess gas build up in the stomach causing pressure and pain. Switch to omeprazole 40mg so far no side effects.”

Believer · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 18, 2019

“I have had Barretts Esophagus for years. I have taken ranitidine and omeprazole daily. Had a friend tell me her husband took the protonix and then when he had his scope they never saw barretts. Same thing happened to me I ask dr to switch and after a while had scope and they never saw it on me either..just saying”

Blue · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole): “Do NOT use this medication. This medication caused me to have drug induced lupus. Three months after stopping this medication and still dealing with daily affects of this drug. There have been warnings issued by the FDA regarding the dangers of PPIs and the negative side effects. This drug is not safe in my opinion.”

Davylove September 29, 2018

“Diagnosed GERD years ago was on Prevacid every day for a few months. Then as needed. This year surgery to remove melanoma off neck, so put all way under with a general anaesthetic Iafter that started having severe heartburn again with stabbing back can’t sleep kind. They scoped me. Colon fine but have Barrett’s Esophagus. Back on Prevacid & famotidine. had abdominal pains so asked to switch to Pantaprazole. I started having globus sensation in throat chest pressure lotta gas. Meanwhile they said gallbladder had to come out 4 wks ago. During recovery went into AFib. It came back went to ER and admitted me, ran heart tests. Heart muscle good. So now on heart meds & pantaprazole. I have heavy chest pains globus sensation in throat they say is esophagus -doubled my pantaprazole. It seems like that is not going away. Now AFib is worse &.keeping me up. I have insomnia anxiety & lotta gas. Maybe AFib & chest, insomnia may be pantaprazole. Have Prevacid left. I’ll try that again for a week and see. Maybe all this insomnia gas heart problem is from pantaprazole.”

guinea pig · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2018

Protonix (pantoprazole): “After a short time on protonix I began to experience back pain that radiated to the sides of my back in the kidney area. Then blood turned up in my urine both symptoms are serious side effects listed and says you should contact your dr immediately. Mdoctor told me that she couldn't say if the drug was the cause. The lesson learned -do your own research and be vigilant.”

Tinkerbell 0811 December 16, 2017

Protonix (pantoprazole): “I have been on this medicine for awhile and as long as I take as I'm supposed to I'm good the only side effect is a headache for the first couple of days but other than that I really like this medicine it's much better than being sick and in pain all the time”

Erinbritt · Taken for less than 1 month January 31, 2016

“It worked for the most part, but the side effects were miserable. Ever since I started taking the generic I've had terrible migraines and can't sleep through the night. I think the side effects outweigh the benefits.”

Rapsie · Taken for 1 to 2 years August 25, 2015

“I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus about 13 months ago after suffering from GERDS for 30 years or more. I was prescribed Pantoprazole 40mg tablets orally once a day. Since then, I have had just two episodes of mild esophageal reflux caused by eating very spicey Mexican dinners about four hours before bedtime. I can't say enough positive things about how much this medication has improved my quality of life.”

E. Ekimi · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 6, 2015

“Took this drug for 5 months for acid reflux at nighttime unknowingly acid splashed up in my throat giving me a continuous sore throat during the day. The side effects it caused was a major concern; i.e., reduces stomach acid up to 80% resulting in poor digestion and absorption especially B12 and Calcium. I found that my stool was long and very fat, (uncommon for me and indicative of poor digestion/absorption). Another side effect was a very bad dry mouth AND, extremely dry hands --constantly wrinkled up --like when one sits in the bath tub for a couple hours. I stopped taking it and now take a couple of Tums before bedtime.”

Severe Heartburn/BE · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 22, 2014

Protonix (pantoprazole): “I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus six years ago, and regularly used Prilosec for the past 8 years, but I occasionally still had severe heartburn. Like the last post, I too was prescribed a higher and higher dose until I was taking 4-6 pills a day, still getting occasional heartburn. Last year I started taking only 40 mg per day of Pantoprazole, and I seldom (less than once a month when I get careless with food and/or alcohol) have had heartburn at all. I highly recommend asking your doctor about this medication, if you suffer from long term frequent heartburn and Prilosec no longer sees to work as well.”

GERD and barretts E · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 20, 2013

Protonix (pantoprazole): “I have been using this medication almost since it came on the market. I take a dose of 50% over the maximum recommended dosage. The medication seems to have a 7-10 hours effectiveness before rebound symptoms appear. I've tried several of the other proton pump inhibitors, which were not very effective. ”

Miz1...1 March 4, 2012

Protonix IV (pantoprazole): “Have been on Protonix for about 10 yrs. Recently was admitted to the hospital due to pancreatitis. I was vomiting non-stop for 4 days and could only get meds via I.V. during my 7 day stay. I found that Protonix I.V. seemed to work almost better at least worked faster and lasted 24hrs until my next dose the following day.”

jburk July 19, 2010

Protonix (pantoprazole): “I was on Prilosec for about 9 years for acid reflux. For me it was a miracle drug that gave me relief for acid reflux. My dosage was continually increased till I was taking 4 20mg pills a day (probably a problem with my acid reflux increasing). After having more problems, I had an endoscopy which showed I had Barrett's Esophagus. I was prescribed Protonix (2 x 40mg pills/day). So far Protonix has worked great. For me it works better than the Prilosec did.”

Learn more about Barrett's Esophagus

ICD-10 CM Clinical Codes (External)