User Reviews for Dexlansoprazole

Also known as: Dexilant

Dexlansoprazole has an average rating of 6.8 out of 10 from a total of 221 ratings on Drugs.com. 61% of those users who reviewed Dexlansoprazole reported a positive effect, while 27% reported a negative effect.

GERD
7.9
Summary of Dexlansoprazole reviews 6.8 221 reviews

Reviews for Dexlansoprazole

john rambo · Taken for less than 1 month May 4, 2021

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I started dexilant 12 days ago. At the end of the first week I developed fatigue, muscle soreness and muscle cramping. My heart rate became irregular, the rate was increased and I could feel my heart beat through my whole body. My sleep has also been affected. After finding all my side effects online, I have stopped taking the medicine. Hopefully the side effects will subside soon.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years April 25, 2021

For GERD: “Since starting dexilant I've lost 30 pounds been diagnosed with celiac disease and just had gallbladder removed. Also experienced random blood in urine. While it's the only thing that helps I'm going to stop taking it as I seriously think it has caused all these problems.”

Jack · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 10, 2021

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Life saver! No other antacids were working, one doctor recommended surgery but this pill completely eliminated all of my problems. I can eat and drink almost anything again.”

MrsA2013 October 8, 2013

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “After trying Omeprazole (Prilosec), lansoprazole (Prevacid), and other over the counter proton pump inhibitors over the years, I found they were not doing the trick. I had a perpetual sore throat for a few months, and finally went to the ENT who said the acid was burning my esophagus. He put me on Dexilant, which cured that after about 3 weeks. I stayed on it for a few months, the sore throat went away completely and I never had acid problems after that. This is expensive, but worth it! It is the best thing out there, and the trick to taking it is you have to take first thing in the morning, 30 mins before any food on empty stomach. If you have ANY food in your stomach, you will get diarrhea.”

Anonymous March 1, 2012

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: “After years of suffering with GERD, I developed Barrett's esophagus. Tums, Nexium, Prilosec - nothing worked for me. Since I began taking Dexilant, I have had zero heartburn and zero reflux. Best of all, my recent endoscopy shows incredible healing of the damage to my esophagus. Dexilant has proven to be a miracle for me.”

Sam D. · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I developed GERD as a result of taking medications for Parkinson’s disease that irritated my stomach. Once I’d tried a few acid-reducing medicines that failed to work, my doctor prescribed Dexilant. The first time I took it I had horrible stomach pains and several of the ‘rare’ side effects listed by the manufacturer. Most were what I’d call moderate to severe. Nonetheless I took the medicine again, because I’d been told that it can take a few days for the body to adjust to the drug—and indeed on Day 2 the side effects were much milder and I had no acid reflux. Success!—or so I thought. But Day 3 was a nightmare from the beginning. I had lots of pain—stomach, joint, muscle, throat—terrible diarrhea, and more. And to add insult to injury my reflux returned and continued at regular intervals throughout the day and night. I have never had a medicine make me so miserable or scare me so much. Need I say I can’t recommend this drug?”

Allie January 2, 2021

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Dexilant saved my life. That sounds dramatic but it’s true. I’ve suffered with severe GERD since I was a teenager. I had been on a very high dose of omeprazole for years. I’ve also tried all of the other PPIs. I continued to have “silent reflux” symptoms. For four years, I would get stomach aches and chest pain so bad I would go to the ER and be given opiates. I suspected it was all heartburn but nothing worked to stop the pain. Dexilant was recommended to me once before for my allergy symptoms (possibly worsened by GERD) but I brushed it off because there wasn’t a generic available and I didn’t think it would work better than omeprazole. Let me tell you, it does. It did take a full two weeks to take effect. I haven’t had any pain or GERD symptoms nor any side effects. I don’t know why it’s so effective but I do believe it has to do with the unique formulation and the fact that it only has to be taken once a day at one dose to reduce user error.”

patty penguin September 12, 2013

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I have GERD. Doctors have prescribed medicines that have not been effective. I have tried Nexium, Prevacid, Protonix, Prilosec, with no relief no matter the dosage. When the GERD is not under control I cannot keep anything down. I have thrown up more acid than anyone can imagine. Thanks to my doctor, who prescribed Dexilant the horrors of GERD are behind me. I have suffered no side effects. My advertisement for this medicine would be DEXILANT IS EXCELLENT.”

Anonymous June 22, 2011

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Dexilant gave me every side effect on the label. "Not Good, I have never had diarrhea like this before. Pain in my stomach, chest pain, like having a heart attack. This has been the worst experience I have ever had. Sure hope others read this before taking this medicine. It should be taken off the market.”

Anonymous · Taken for 10 years or more September 5, 2020

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Barrett's Esophagus: “I’ve been taking a 60 mg Dexilant once a day for about 10 years. It was the only drug that worked. I’d tried all the other PPI’s and none of them worked. Recently Takeda changed the manufacturing location to Germany and now the drug has suddenly stopped working for me. I am now miserably ill with all the GERD symptoms of before. I’d pay anything to get a bottle of the old formulary. Takeda what’s going on ,... you had a great drug that is now no longer effective.”

Ed · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “For 6 to seven weeks I started terrible acid reflux. I was 55 years old and always considered I had a steel stomach, could eat anything, the hotter and spicier the better. I broke my foot working and continued to do a roofing job, going up scaffolding with one foot and 60lbs rolls on my shoulder, this is about the time I started getting reflux. It was a suspected hiatal hernia, it may be, still waiting for test results I have tried everything otc. Lost 10lbs in 5-6 weeks because I was scared to eat not knowing what to eat. Finally made it to the doc, and he gave me dexilant 60mg, took it a couple days to kick in and wow....I can eat now..no real side effects as of yet, except some minor stomach aches if I eat to much. I can't stop eating now...ohhhh feels so good. Here I pay $20.92 for a month of dexilant, yeah I'm in Canada...god thanks for our medicare system...just to say...this has worked magically...”

Natalie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Initially diagnosed with Esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus of acid reflux) 1 month ago. Was on dexilant 60 mg once per day. Had a lump feeling in my throat every day and worse at night while I sleep. Went to see an ENT specialist a few days ago and I was diagnosed with Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease(larynx/Pharaynx) acid reflux. Cannot get hold of the specialist who did the initial endoscopy for Esophagitis diagnosis so I informed the receptionist of my experience and was informed he is at the hospital for 2 weeks and I have to wait to see him when he returns to the office. I was told to go to my Family doctor to follow up. FD prescribed taking the dexillant 60 mg twice per day. I am feeling worse since taking dexilant twice per day. I have a choking sensation non stop and at night not sleeping. Awaiting to see the specialist who did endoscopy in a few weeks. Has anybody else had this experience and taking Dexilant 60 mg twice per day?”

Relieved to stop February 24, 2020

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I was prescribed dexilant by my gastroenterologist to treat possible GERD and once I started taking it, I experienced some side effects, gas, dizziness, cramps, liquidy stools and more seriously, an inflamed gall bladder. Had to have my gall bladder removed and for three weeks after the surgery, still had all the other side effects. I decided to stop taking the dexilant after discussing this with my pharmacist and since then the watery stools have subsided and the nausea has almost gone. I wouldn't recommend dexilant to my worst enemy!”

Jan · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 13, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I have been taking Dexilant for about 5 years now and it is definitely helping with my GERD. Before taking Dexilant I tried all the other acid reducing over-the-counter medication and they did not help me. I know Dexilant is expensive but it is worth it so that I start off each day feeling good.”

Anonymous November 13, 2011

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Been taking Dexilant for over a year. Have had diarrhea almost daily and have now began having joint pain and a general tiredness and ill feeling. Works great for reflux but seems to be having an adverse effect on my entire system.”

Peter Bab February 12, 2012

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “This medication after usuing it for a month plus has ended me up in the emergency room for severe chest pains, dizziness, high blood pressure, occasional, diarrhea, Tightness in the chest , cramps and muscle aches. ”

Anonymous February 15, 2011

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I have had GERD since 1997. I have used Prilosec, Nexium, Aciphex, Prevacid, and Protonix (most recently). NONE of them worked. I was on a double-dose of Protonix when my GP sent me to the GI Specialist for a upper gastrointestina Scope. After that I was prescribed Dexilant. Not only has it 'CURED' my GERD symptoms, it has also settled my IBS symptoms. I used to have to go to the bathroom almost immediately after eating and more than once a day I would have 'emergency' moments where if I didn't get to the bathroom quick I was in trouble. All of those symptoms are gone. I know this doesn't work for everyone but if you're like me and you've tried it all you need to give this medicine a try. It is amazing.”

Julesjohn April 16, 2016

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I somehow contracted h-pylori. This bacteria cause damage to my stomach lining. As a result I began to suffer from serve burning in my stmach & everything I ate gave me heartburn & acid reflux. After seeing a gastro doctor put me on a Dexilant (60mg). It was a life saver. I don't get the burning feeling in my stomach & no refux which was starting to damage my esophagus. My insurance pays a portion of the cost. Then I went to the Dexilant website in which they offer a program for reduced cost. I pay $20 a month for a pill that allows me to eat without suffering. I have had no side effects from this medication. I been taking Dexilant for 6 years everyday. If I miss a day it still works but I can't go longer than 2 days without it.”

MN · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 27, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “7+ years on Dexilant. Love it. No more acid reflux. Took every other RX previously and ended up in hospital with aspiration pneumonia. Have huge hiatal hernia. Never happened again because of Dexilant! After today’s Dr visit, noticed on summary, he changed to generic Dexlansoprazole instead of submitting another prior authorization, but didn’t tell me. I hope it works just as well!!! Scared.”

Wellred · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2020

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I have GERD which has worsened in the past year. My throat was narrowing and it hurt in my side every time I swallowed. 60 mg of Dexilant is the only thing that has helped. It took a couple of months but now I barely have swallowing problems anymore. The only problem is that I have been on it for over 6 months now and I know it’s time to taper off but if I go off it for a day by the next day my throat starts to narrow again and it’s once again difficult to swallow. I’ve tried replacing it with Prilosec but that doesn’t help with the swallowing. Only Dexilant works. I guess I’m stuck on it!”

PTF September 30, 2016

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I have been taking Dexilant 60 mg for more than 3 years after taking Nexium for 9 years for GERD. The Nexium quit working so I went on the Dexilant and it saved my life. I started with one every 3 days, then every 2 days and once a day now. I had some anxiety attacks last spring and did not think it had anything to do with this drug. After reading some of the comments it is possible, but has been ok all summer. I am 60 and rode a motorcycle from Seattle to Los Angles in July and traveled Europe in August and Sept. with no acid reflux problems. Just back in Florida after a trip to Vegas and can eat or drink anything. No problems with alcohol, milk or spicy food. Without it I am up all night eating Tums every hour. Good Luck!”

Anonymous May 21, 2011

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I would rate this a 10 for treating GERD; however, I am giving it a 7 due to side effects. I have had no problems with GERD since beginning the medicine but I am experiencing an increase in blood pressure. I also am experiencing dizziness, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, tightness in my throat, pressure in my chest that makes me feel like I am going to vomit (although I do not feel nauseated), and just a general overall bad feeling. This does not happen until the extended release of the medication occurs at about 4-5 hours after administration. Although it treats my GERD symptoms great I have decided it is not worth the other side effects that I am having.”

aimeern69 May 23, 2010

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “10 years had daily heartburn. Tried every prescription and over the counter medicine with minimal relief. Continued to have daily breakthrough heartburn. Ended up eating tums like candy, then took Dexilant, 5 days later realized I hadnt taken any tums and not one episode of heartburn. This is an awesome new medication!”

Anonymous November 7, 2012

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “My Dr. prescribed this after 80mg of Nexium stopped working but after a week of Dexilant, I'm stopping it because of the awful flatulence and abdominal pain starting about 12 hrs after taking it. So glad to get validation here that others have had similar problems since the patient info says this only happens for a small amount of users. ”

Baze · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 24, 2014

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I was taking 60mg same time every day. It seemed to work better at controlling my GERD symptoms after about a month. But around the same time I developed debilitating diarrhea. I continued to take it for another month and the diarrhea didn't go away so I stopped taking it. It's only been a couple of days so far and it still hasn't gotten any better.”

RemingtonAdda · Taken for less than 1 month September 9, 2013

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Dexilant is a God send! I experienced acid reflux out of the blue for the first time that was very severe. For three days straight regardless of the position I was in. My doctor gave me a sample of Dexilant and I felt better within hours, and by the end of the day my reflux subsided. I take 60mg every day, once a day and have been well. I did experience constipation for a few days, but it went away however my stool is not fully normal. The medication is more expensive then other ones on the market, but talk to your doctor and see if he will give you a months worth of samples to see how you feel before you get it prescribed. I eat lots of dairy and spicy foods and all is well.”

Anonymous · Taken for 1 to 2 years November 30, 2016

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Nothing worked for me until my doctor gave me samples of Dexilant. I had tried everything over the years. My world changed, the pain went away, and I have no side effects. I know it's very expensive and I have to get authorization from my insurance company, but it's well worth it. I wouldn't be able to function on a daily basis without it.”

kdbrown9 · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 21, 2013

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Dexilant seems to work better than Prilosec for me, although my symptoms wax and wane. Some days I feel good, other days, I can tell the medicine isn't working well. Not really sure how that is possible since I take it at the same time every day! I do get horrible gas and diarrhea and always end up stopping the meds for a day or two. However, I recently read that Keifer could help with acid reflux, so I started drinking it. It prevents the horrible gas and diarrhea that the Dexilant causes. One glass a day, and I am good! Now I can take the medicine daily as described and hope that it resolves what is causing my GERD. I highly suggest the Keifer for those not tolerating the medicine otherwise.”