User Reviews for Dexlansoprazole

GERD 6.7
Summary of Dexlansoprazole reviews 7.0 210 reviews

Reviews for Dexlansoprazole

Sam D. · Taken for less than 1 month June 8, 2020

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I developed GERD as a result of taking medications for Parkinson’s disease that irritated my stomach. Once I’d tried a few acid-reducing medicines that failed to work, my doctor prescribed Dexilant. The first time I took it I had horrible stomach pains and several of the ‘rare’ side effects listed by the manufacturer. Most were what I’d call moderate to severe. Nonetheless I took the medicine again, because I’d been told that it can take a few days for the body to adjust to the drug—and indeed on Day 2 the side effects were much milder and I had no acid reflux. Success!—or so I thought. But Day 3 was a nightmare from the beginning. I had lots of pain—stomach, joint, muscle, throat—terrible diarrhea, and more. And to add insult to injury my reflux returned and continued at regular intervals throughout the day and night. I have never had a medicine make me so miserable or scare me so much. Need I say I can’t recommend this drug?”

Randy · Taken for 6 months to 1 year April 13, 2020

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: “I was on omeprazole for several years and developed crippling joint problems and my legs swelled up because it was affecting my kidneys so the Dr. took me off. I now have stage 3 kidney failure. The joints got better and I'm back to normal but what I call acid reflux (burning gas in my throat) came back. The Dr tried Zantac and that didn't work so he put me on Dexilent. It works fabulously. It works so well that I take only 1/2 capsule about once a week. (15mg) If I let it go too long and have lots of belching gas, I take the half dose and it calms down in about 5 hours.”

rhonda · Taken for 2 to 5 years April 1, 2020

Dexilant SoluTab (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I was on this medication Dexilant Solutab and the side effect I had was it affected my kidneys. Now my Dr is weaning me off and hopefully my kidneys will function properly.”

Relieved to stop February 24, 2020

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I was prescribed dexilant by my gastroenterologist to treat possible GERD and once I started taking it, I experienced some side effects, gas, dizziness, cramps, liquidy stools and more seriously, an inflamed gall bladder. Had to have my gall bladder removed and for three weeks after the surgery, still had all the other side effects. I decided to stop taking the dexilant after discussing this with my pharmacist and since then the watery stools have subsided and the nausea has almost gone. I wouldn't recommend dexilant to my worst enemy!”

Wellred · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 29, 2020

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I have GERD which has worsened in the past year. My throat was narrowing and it hurt in my side every time I swallowed. 60 mg of Dexilant is the only thing that has helped. It took a couple of months but now I barely have swallowing problems anymore. The only problem is that I have been on it for over 6 months now and I know it’s time to taper off but if I go off it for a day by the next day my throat starts to narrow again and it’s once again difficult to swallow. I’ve tried replacing it with Prilosec but that doesn’t help with the swallowing. Only Dexilant works. I guess I’m stuck on it!”

Jj · Taken for 6 months to 1 year January 17, 2020

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I moved got stressed was started on this wasn’t really doing much I went to Zantac did better. Then I was put in antidepressants and the trouble began worse so they gave me this drug as the others weren’t working. Then told me to double it I felt horrid gas muscle pain it doubled my mental health state. Since then I’ve had iron issues stopped the antidepressants as I was so constipated I had to do enemas all of the time. That didn’t solve the problem. My GI Dr said take gaviscon whatever you need on top of it. Well I stopped growing hair on my legs I’m so bloated nauseous since I have been on meds. I’ve tried to stop the dexilant but it comes back worse the stress from the bloating muscle pain dry throat nausea. When I go to the bathroom it feels like squeezed dried air and no relief feeling. Frail and exhausted this drug makes me dehydrated and sick. Be careful and not easy to get off”

Toolman907 December 2, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I have been taking 60 mg for about 8 months now for heartburn. I used to get bad heartburn from taking antidepressants and this is the only pill that has helped. I stopped taking for about 3 days because I forget to get a refill and I noticed I started to have a little more had starting up again. So I guess I will be taking this med for life”

Ed · Taken for less than 1 month November 22, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “For 6 to seven weeks I started terrible acid reflux. I was 55 years old and always considered I had a steel stomach, could eat anything, the hotter and spicier the better. I broke my foot working and continued to do a roofing job, going up scaffolding with one foot and 60lbs rolls on my shoulder, this is about the time I started getting reflux. It was a suspected hiatal hernia, it may be, still waiting for test results I have tried everything otc. Lost 10lbs in 5-6 weeks because I was scared to eat not knowing what to eat. Finally made it to the doc, and he gave me dexilant 60mg, took it a couple days to kick in and wow....I can eat now..no real side effects as of yet, except some minor stomach aches if I eat to much. I can't stop eating now...ohhhh feels so good. Here I pay $20.92 for a month of dexilant, yeah I'm in Canada...god thanks for our medicare system...just to say...this has worked magically...”

Jan · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 13, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I have been taking Dexilant for about 5 years now and it is definitely helping with my GERD. Before taking Dexilant I tried all the other acid reducing over-the-counter medication and they did not help me. I know Dexilant is expensive but it is worth it so that I start off each day feeling good.”

Tristan · Taken for 2 to 5 years September 4, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I've been taking Dexilant for a couple of years now. It does keep the burning at bay in my gut, throat, etc. It doesn't work as well as it did in the beginning and although I get it through the Takeda Patient Assistance Program, Help at Hand, I'm not cured and very worried about being able to stop taking it. Every time I have to get a refill sent to me, something always happens and I usually have to buy at least a week's worth until it arrives. But, once you've been taking it.. and, anything else doesn't even do as well.. How do you get off it? I worry about continuing to take this with it's sometimes long-term effects.”

cliff · Taken for less than 1 month August 24, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: “20 years ago I had a nissan wrap (a type of GERD surgery). Some dr. said I should not have had it and just taken the meds for control of acid. Since then I have taken different proton pump type meds with good effect. In Jan of this year my specialist who scopes me told me to get off pantprazole, which wasn't easy. In May I went for my Veterans physical and the dr said my throat was red and I might be having some reflux. I started taking pantprazole 20 mg once a day and then up to twice a day 30 mg. I kept getting worse. Now they have me on dexilant 60 mg and I'm having trouble at nights with reflux??????”

Maz · Taken for 1 to 6 months August 20, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Dexilant sas ok at first; helped to remove bad cramps and heartburn. Soon as I started this prescription, I was constipated (went to the bathroom only 2-3 times a week) and I've never had this kind of issue before. Decided to follow my 2 months regimen to cure a gastritis - GERD (doctors don't know) and stopped it yesterday because I was getting my throat really sore and burning. Today, digestion seems okay and no constipation (finally) ; throat burns much more less already.”

MamaGERD · Taken for less than 1 month July 27, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “This Dexilant is only the second prescription I’ve taken for my worsening heartburn. First couple of days I was really hopeful, but after about 5 days, I developed intermittent (and increasing) chest pain and night sweats. I’m stopping.”

T-rex · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 18, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Have been on this medication for years and has worked well. No real side effects until about a year ago with joint pain and headaches. Now insurance will not pay for this PPI but others it does. ????? How does that work ????? I guess I will try a new prescription that they will pay for and see what happens. I thought the joint pain and headaches were just old age but apparently its not just that according to what I've been reading with everyone else. Don't get me wrong, the medicine is great but just not long term.”

MN · Taken for 5 to 10 years June 27, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “7+ years on Dexilant. Love it. No more acid reflux. Took every other RX previously and ended up in hospital with aspiration pneumonia. Have huge hiatal hernia. Never happened again because of Dexilant! After today’s Dr visit, noticed on summary, he changed to generic Dexlansoprazole instead of submitting another prior authorization, but didn’t tell me. I hope it works just as well!!! Scared.”

Smkalpakci · Taken for 6 months to 1 year June 3, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I have taken every kind of medicine for my extreme GERD and IBS but dexilant is the ONLY one that works. It was a lifesaver.”

PDQ · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 27, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I used to take Dexilant for my GERD, then insurance stopped covering it. I had no side effects that I noticed. I liked it because a single dose could last up to 3 days for me. I liked that I could take it as a preventative or as needed.”

Downtowntiger · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 18, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I was diagnosed with GERD five years ago. I also have IBS. I took Nexium for years and was fairly symptom free. When my issues progressed, my doctor prescribed Dexilant with Carafate for rescues. I had an endoscopy about four months ago and my stomach condition had deteriorated. I was told to double up on Dexilant. Not financially doable. Let me say something about the manufacturer, Takeda. They have an assistance program and have been amazing to me. I love them. Because of their assistance, my money is freed up to pay doctor bills. They care about their patients. I am pretty upset about my recent complications. I am having a four hour motility study soon. Hoping for a miracle. I was a singer.....my throat is now affected. A parting question-everything went downhill after I switched my thyroid from Nature-thyroid to Synthroid. Sad....I felt better on Synthroid. Anyone else have hypothyroid issues with GERD?”

Natalie · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 3, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Initially diagnosed with Esophagitis (inflammation of the esophagus of acid reflux) 1 month ago. Was on dexilant 60 mg once per day. Had a lump feeling in my throat every day and worse at night while I sleep. Went to see an ENT specialist a few days ago and I was diagnosed with Laryngopharyngeal Reflux Disease(larynx/Pharaynx) acid reflux. Cannot get hold of the specialist who did the initial endoscopy for Esophagitis diagnosis so I informed the receptionist of my experience and was informed he is at the hospital for 2 weeks and I have to wait to see him when he returns to the office. I was told to go to my Family doctor to follow up. FD prescribed taking the dexillant 60 mg twice per day. I am feeling worse since taking dexilant twice per day. I have a choking sensation non stop and at night not sleeping. Awaiting to see the specialist who did endoscopy in a few weeks. Has anybody else had this experience and taking Dexilant 60 mg twice per day?”

CR May 1, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I was given Delixant for acid reflux. It worked well in the beginning. I could eat whatever I wanted without any kind of food bothering me. After 3 weeks of taking the drug, I started to get a rash that soon spread all over my body and then I started having trouble breathing one day. 4 doctors later, the dermatologist was the one to get it right- that it was an allergic reaction to Dexilant. I cannot take this drug.”

Granny · Taken for less than 1 month April 25, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Be Careful! Not everyone can take Dexilant my husband got critical, in the ER. First he started passing blood through stool, then no stool, just passing water, and cramping, become deathly sick, before I remembered the Dr. Had changed his medicine to Dexilant. I don’t think he would of lasted much longer if he stayed on it. He was on it 21 days, every day he got worse. I stopped all acid reflux medicine, will start him back on Protonix next week. Dexilant was like poison for him. Be Careful”

L.A. · Taken for less than 1 month April 23, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for Erosive Esophagitis: “I’ve had terrible constipation and bloating while on the Dexilant... doesn’t seem like many others had the same experience”

Sades · Taken for less than 1 month April 6, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “Was taking dexilant for 2 weeks and I felt just like my old self again! It was amazing! Almost all of my symptoms disappeared however, my urine color changed to a dark orange after taking it and it took a few hours of drinking water for it to change back to a normal color. The pharmacist said I should probably stop until I can speak to my doctor but just two days off it and I am back to being sick all the time :( I cant find any information about whether this is normal and I have another 2 1/2 months before my next specialist appointment. If anyone can shed some light on whether a temporary change in urine colour is normal after taking dexilant I'd greatly appreciate it”

Lynn · Taken for less than 1 month March 27, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “About 18 hours after taking it for the first time I had terrible gas pains, cramping and diarrhea. I was hoping this medication would help better with my GERD, but I definitely won't be continuing to take it.”

Anonymous · Taken for 5 to 10 years March 18, 2019

Dexilant (dexlansoprazole) for GERD: “I have been taking dexilant for 5+ years and is best medicine I have found for GERD, plus other gastro issues. Other meds just don't work as well for me. It gives me full relief for 24 hours, I take one each morning before breakfast. I did develop AFIB [irregular, fast heart rate] while after taking it and started taking 1 magnesium citrate each day since dexilant and others may affect magnesium absorption. AFIB went away , magnesium blood levels fine, all is good.”