User Reviews for Protonix

GERD 6.9
Summary of Protonix reviews 7.4 70 reviews

Reviews for Protonix

Pj July 21, 2020

For GERD: “I started taking protonix 40mg once daily after they took Zantac off the market. I started having a lot of stomach pain, gas, bloating, and watery diarrhea. It took me a while to figure out it was the protonix. I stopped taking it and replaced it with Pepcid complete once a day. Almost immediately those symptoms went away. I would be very careful taking this drug.”

Moosemomma June 25, 2020

For Erosive Esophagitis: “On Protonix only two days , feel 100% better from my erosive esophagitis. I couldn’t swallow cause if the pain and the gnawing pain between the breastbone killed me . Ended up in the ER ( many) times . This med helped so much !!!”

Les · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2020

For Peptic Ulcer: “I’ve been on Protonix for 3 months now after suffering a rupture in my stomach from an ulcer, it has drastically changed my body in a good way. The gastrointestinal perforation I had almost finished me off and I spent 14 days in the hospital, my surgeon put me on protonix pretty much right while I was in the recovery, I’m not sure about side effects because I haven’t experienced any, but this little pill has help me by healing my ulcers and controlling the acid in my gut, this stuff is basically saving my life.”

MsS · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2020

For GERD: “I took this for about 2 and a half months. Half way through I told my Dr it wasn't working. He said I was under stress. Not. Then I developed a hot, itchy rash on my arms and face. They told me to stop taking it and start Nexium. I didn't because to me they seem to have the same risk. Being off Protonix is almost as bad as being on it. Terrible acid reflux. I am sleeping sitting up, I can't eat very much, I can hardly wake up and start falling asleep around 7 PM and I have had a headache off and on for 3 days. Going to an Internal Medicine Specialist next because I’d like to know the reason for the reflux I have had for 1.5 years not just take a medication.”

Laurie · Taken for 10 years or more April 27, 2020

For Barrett's Esophagus: “After starting with OTC drugs for acid reflux for several years, it was necessary for me to begin a prescription drug. I have taken Pantaprozole for over 10 years with no side effects. Works very well.”

Steph · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 24, 2019

For GERD: “I started on Zantac and it just stopped working for me. I've been taking this pill for years and it does wonders! I have 0 noticable side effects. Its important to take it both every day and before you eat or it is not as effective.”

Noodle · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2019

For GERD: “I have had acid reflux disease for four years. I tried prilosec. I lost thirty pounds to try to help my reflux, I changed my diet, and I took an extreme amount of rolaids. Nothing worked and I was miserable. Finally got my GP to listen and put me on this stuff after a family member recommendation. It is wonderful. It is like I never had reflux to begin with. It helped me get my life back. My only concern is the side-effects for long term use seem scary. But if I don't treat the reflux, I will end up with barrett's esophagus, which puts me between a rock and a hard place.”

PastaMan46 · Taken for less than 1 month December 3, 2018

For GERD: “Upset stomach, insomnia and all the other side effects that you hate.”

Blue · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2018

For Barrett's Esophagus: “Do NOT use this medication. This medication caused me to have drug induced lupus. Three months after stopping this medication and still dealing with daily affects of this drug. There have been warnings issued by the FDA regarding the dangers of PPIs and the negative side effects. This drug is not safe in my opinion.”

Beanie · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 30, 2018

For GERD: “I've been on Protonix for about 6 years and, to put it simply, it works perfectly for me without any side effects. If I don't take it I have constant, severe heartburn (I have a hiatal hernia, gastritis, and GERD that resulted from an h.pylori infection that went undetected for what I assume is several years). When I do take it, I can eat literally anything and not get heartburn.”

Jenny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 7, 2018

For GERD: “I have both IBS and Gastritis. Protonix has been a complete game changer for me. Without it I have chronic nausea, difficulties tolerating food, vomiting, low energy and headache. My days were very difficult prior to being prescribed this med. I feel incredibly better.”

Rhi · Taken for less than 1 month September 30, 2018

For GERD: “I have had GERD as long as I can remember. It wasn't quite so bad before pregnancy that I decided against medication. Since becoming pregnant, it was to the point of throwing up stomach acid a few times a day & I could barely move. We tried a few other medications that just did not work. I have been on protonix for 1 month & I have not had a single bit of heartburn since the very first day I took it.”

Jett · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 30, 2018

For GERD: “Since my early twenties (I am mid 50s now) I have had great difficulty swallowing with a feeling that something was stuck in my throat, followed by esophageal spasms, followed by projectile vomiting of stomach acid. Episodes could last for up to 10 hours. I've been hospitalized several times while have sever episodes of uncontrollable spasms/vomiting for hours. I was misdiagnosed for decades, had my throat stretched by laparoscopy/balloons periodically and tried a variety of medications. Nothing helped. I was extremely underweight from not being able to eat for so many years. Finally, a doctor put me on Protonix and it was a miracle. Unbelievably life changing. My only complaint was I gained 20 lbs in the first year I was on it. I take it twice a day and can eat whatever I like with no reaction.”

guinea pig · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2018

For Barrett's Esophagus: “After a short time on protonix I began to experience back pain that radiated to the sides of my back in the kidney area. Then blood turned up in my urine both symptoms are serious side effects listed and says you should contact your dr immediately. Mdoctor told me that she couldn't say if the drug was the cause. The lesson learned -do your own research and be vigilant.”

Anonymous · Taken for less than 1 month March 28, 2018

For GERD: “I took Protonix for about a week and every time I took it, I got a severe headache every day. It did help to keep my heartburn at bay but to me, it is not worth it for the side effects. My mood dropped because of this medicine and I just did not feel like myself. I have stopped taking this medicine and I am now taking Zantac 150mg. Took effect and it is working wonders for me.”

Bobby · Taken for 1 to 6 months March 1, 2018

For GERD: “I would wake up coughing up fluids and constantly have acid reflux symptoms, which began to lead to swallowing issues and high anxiety. My doctor put me on pantoprazol (protonix) and I take it once every morning. 40mg. I am not someone who likes medicine and won't even take tylenol for a headache. I love my pantoprazol (protonix) and hope it continue to keep my issues away.”

Tinkerbell 0811 December 16, 2017

For Barrett's Esophagus: “I have been on this medicine for awhile and as long as I take as I'm supposed to I'm good the only side effect is a headache for the first couple of days but other than that I really like this medicine it's much better than being sick and in pain all the time”

tAnziE1lAdy · Taken for less than 1 month December 11, 2017

For GERD: “I have had acid reflux, for 10 years. I've taken Nexium it takes my reflux a way, now insurance will not pay, so now I have to take Protonix Tabs 40mg once per day I get heart burn heart burn so bad I have to take tums 2 to 3 at a time just not happy. I must keep looking for better meds.”

Baby Koala · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 23, 2017

For GERD: “I had tried every other medicine out there, and none of them has worked for me like Protonix does. In combination with Carafate, I feel like me again. The chest pain, burping and burning has almost completely went away. No side effects at all. I highly recommend this medication..”

ly2620 · Taken for 5 to 10 years July 5, 2017

For GERD: “I've had GERD and Gastroparesis for over 10 years. Protonix is the only medicine I've found to help control the GERD. As long as I take it twice a day as instructed I do not have acid reflux.”

Gastroparesis Girl · Taken for 6 months to 1 year May 20, 2017

For GERD: “I have had GERD for years now. I started out taking Prilosec, but it started making me burp a lot and it would just absolutely hurt. My doctor switched me to Protonix and that has helped so much. I take 40 mgs twice a day. I don't burp nearly as much and food doesn't creep back up and into my mouth like it did so much either. I also take Zantac at night, but it still had helped a lot even before then. It's been such a relief. I didn't get any side effects from it either. I take it 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before lunch.”

Tracnicky October 7, 2016

For Erosive Esophagitis: “this is literally my 2nd day on protonix, and I am very happy. I will say I have experienced dizziness for about the first 2/3 minutes upon taking. I can deal with that; I am not experiencing acid reflux!!!! I have literally taken Prilosec for 6 years. I had the gastric sleeve which brings upon extreme heartburn”

Wagriff · Taken for less than 1 month October 6, 2016

For GERD: “I have had severe Gerd/Acid Reflux for nearly 6 years. It has put me in the hospital 7 times now and has totally destroyed my teeth which I have always been meticulous about caring for. Presently, it's also causing me swallowing problems and voice troubles. The pain the Gerd can generate is an actual true "10"-Far far worse than the pain I experienced from a Quad Cardiac Bypass surgery. My doctor gave me Protonix for it and it worked Very well on reducing, perhaps, 80% of the pain. Unfortunately, the medication caused Peripheral Edema Big time and I had to go off of it again. The edema immediately went away, but the pain came back too. I have noticed this reaction from almost all proton pumps that I have tried to date.”

Eliza Doalot July 10, 2016

For Erosive Esophagitis: “I just started Protonix 6 days ago. I feel beat up. Does the Propofol used to do the procedure hang on for this many days? If it doesn't , then the Protonix is causing several symptoms| Lethargy Dizziness Dry mouth And last and worst is constant ringing in my ears. It's getting very annoying Has anyone else experienced this crazy ear side effect?”

DublJ · Taken for 2 to 5 years March 1, 2016

For GERD: “I took this medication until my HMO dropped it fron their formulary. While taking it, I felt great. I took only one a day and, if I forgot to take it or forgot to refill it before running out, I could miss a day or two without the heartburn returning. My doctor subsequently put me on Prilosec, twice a day. If I miss one, heartburn returns with a vengeance. If I miss a whole day, it takes three to five days to get the heartburn under control, again”