User Reviews for Protonix

Learn more about Protonix.

Barrett's Esophagus 3 reviews 13 medications

Erosive Esophagitis 3 reviews 108 medications

7.5
Summary of Protonix reviews 47 reviews 8.7

Reviews for Protonix

For Erosive Esophagitis "I just started Protonix 6 days ago. I feel beat up. Does the Propofol used to do the procedure hang on for this many days? If it doesn't , then the Protonix is causing several symptoms| Lethargy Dizziness Dry mouth And last and worst is constant ringing in my ears. It's getting very annoying Has anyone else experienced this crazy ear side effect?"

Eliza Doalot July 10, 2016

For GERD "I took this medication until my HMO dropped it fron their formulary. While taking it, I felt great. I took only one a day and, if I forgot to take it or forgot to refill it before running out, I could miss a day or two without the heartburn returning. My doctor subsequently put me on Prilosec, twice a day. If I miss one, heartburn returns with a vengeance. If I miss a whole day, it takes three to five days to get the heartburn under control, again"

DublJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2016

For GERD "I had heartburn and a history of an ulcer so my doctor put me on Protonix and when taking it daily I feel great, however with the new information about this kind of drug being linked to dementia and also that is can cause one to be addicted to it and cause rebound acid I decided to stop it. I am on day 4 and now a mild constant burning is in my stomach and often back up to my chest. I was given them for heartburn but the doctor wrote gerd and later I developed gerd on days I tried not to take it so I am concerned about this all coming back by 10 times worse. I am looking into a natural alternative first as dementia is all around in my family and my new holistic/medical doctor says this type of drug is dangerous."

TerryTwoHearts February 22, 2016

For GERD "This was the worst medication I have ever taken. I was just prescribed this medication last week. After on it for only 2 days I stopped. Headache was unbearable. I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital to get a cat scan until I realized it was probably the protonix. Then there was the nausea they came along as well. Five days later, I'm still nauseous, but used ginger to help with that. Overall, I will never use this medicine again."

Tee85 December 17, 2015

For GERD "Unfortunately I have suffered with very serious GERD for 28 years and it has been awful. I have tried every prescription medicine out there and none of them work for me like Protonix does. I feel very close to a normal human being on this medication but none of the others lived up to Protonix. I received a horrible notice from our health insurance provider this past week and after December 31, 2015 they will no longer cover this drug. Their only suggestion for me with severe reflux is to try something else!!! I have tried EVERYTHING else on the market and nothing works but Protonix. NOTHING! I am so sick with the GERD when I am off this medicine I am pretty much house bound because I am so sick. For me it is a miracle drug!"

bordercollielover (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2015

For GERD "I was put on this medication after my insurance company stopped covering another PPI that worked well for me. I lasted one month and spent most of it popping ranitadine since anything I ate or drank caused almost immediate heartburn. By the end of the month I was vomiting. It was awful. I hated to be a pain but I called my PCP and told them I needed to go back on my previous med, which of course involved a lot of paperwork on his part. I have a friend that swears by this medication but mostly all I did was swear during the month I took it."

DonnaRNCEN September 24, 2015

For GERD "Best medicine ever! I have taken Protonix for over 5 years now with no complaints other than when I run out and have to use over the counter meds that do not work. I usually take the Protonix 1st thing in the morning. It lasts all day. There have been times I have forgotten to take it 1st thing in the morning however, no matter when I take it the pill still works within 15 minutes of being taken as if I had taken it in the morning."

D PRO (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2015

For Barrett's Esophagus "I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus six years ago, and regularly used Prilosec for the past 8 years, but I occasionally still had severe heartburn. Like the last post, I too was prescribed a higher and higher dose until I was taking 4-6 pills a day, still getting occasional heartburn. Last year I started taking only 40 mg per day of Pantoprazole, and I seldom (less than once a month when I get careless with food and/or alcohol) have had heartburn at all. I highly recommend asking your doctor about this medication, if you suffer from long term frequent heartburn and Prilosec no longer sees to work as well."

Severe Heartburn/BE (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 22, 2014

For GERD "After two days on Protonix (for GERD associated with adult-onset asthma) I ended up in the emergency room with extremely high blood pressure, fast, pounding pulse, severe headache, and severe anxiety. "

CzechChick (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2014

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Duodenal Ulcer "Caused severe muscle cramps, headaches. Took away the pain from duodenal ulcers within 3 days."

risingmoon (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2014

For Stomach Ulcer "Had the most excruciating, painful ulcers that would wake me up in the middle of the night, and be so bad that I would double over from the pain. The Dr. gave me Protonix, and I swear after just taking the first pill that first night, the symptoms were gone! The pills were so effective, I only took them for 5 nights in a row, (even though he told me to finish the bottle) and just saved the other pills in case I might need them in the future. So far the pain has only come back once, from eating too much Tabasco sauce one night, but other than that, I've not been woken up with the pain since I've taken the pills. These pills were a God send for me. Extremely effective."

Suzette1984 February 8, 2014

For Stomach Ulcer "Spent two and a half years vomiting everything but coca cola, ramen, and mashed potatoes. Had tried numerous ulcer medicines all failing miserably. Protonix made life bearable again! It actually ceased the pain!"

JenksAten (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 4, 2013

For Barrett's Esophagus "I have been using this medication almost since it came on the market. I take a dose of 50% over the maximum recommended dosage. The medication seems to have a 7-10 hours effectiveness before rebound symptoms appear. I've tried several of the other proton pump inhibitors, which were not very effective. "

GERD and barretts E (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2013

For Stomach Ulcer "Works so well I forget I have a problem until I forget to take it, then I'm reminded the next day...ugh!"

dalepmr (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2013

For Peptic Ulcer "Hospitalized January 2012 due to bleeding peptic ulcer which I didn't know I had. GI doc said ulcer was due not to H. pylori but entirely to NSAIDs, the nightly 325 mg aspirin (combination therapy with Plavix for RCA stent, Dec. 2010), to which I added generous doses of Advil (600-800 mg) most days trying to combat muscle pain from simvastatin (current combination of Livalo 2 mg 400 mg CoQ10 = no pain). I am supposed to continue Protonix as long as I am taking aspirin (now only 81 mg). No visible side effects after a year and a half. I do take magnesium 2-3 times a week due to concern about Protonix knocking mg level down. Also take Caltrate, for the osteoporosis it may cause. Protonix is easy to take, but hard to get off of, I hear."

Neem (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 25, 2013

For Stomach Ulcer "I had 23 bleeding peptic, duodenal, and esophageal ulcers and GERD. This is helping."

SMSur May 11, 2013

For GERD "I have taken for about 7 years now. I never had stomach problems but got what they thought was an ulcer, later endoscopy showed no ulcer, but signs of Barrett's esophagus. I also had hoarse voice, especially in the morning. Ph study pointed to GERD. Long story short, no more hoarseness. Subsequent scopes show no signs of esophagus damage. Now for the bad. Very rarely, when I eat fast, I do get choking sensations that I did not ever have before. Also, if I run out of the medicine and/or miss a dose or two, wicked bad heartburn. Never had heartburn before. As long as I stay on it I am good. "

rv Rob April 16, 2013

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Erosive Esophagitis "The only thing to work for me so far."

bambam2494 April 7, 2013

For GERD "Started taking this about 8 years ago after developing an ulcer from taking Aleve. Was fine for a few years, with only flatulance and loose bowel movements. For the last 3 years, I started developing asthma symptoms (phlegm in throat and lungs, coughing). Stopping Protonix cleared it up. Took 1 pill again and the asthma started again. Too bad, I really liked this medication."

Jim0523 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 27, 2013

For Duodenal Ulcer "I was recently hospitalized for 4 days with a duodenal ulcer. They ran PROTONIX through an IV--I was in miserable pain..Within 2 days, No Problems, and I could eat again. I'm now on 40mg 2x day, and soon decreasing to 1. It REALLY works, with No side effects!"

pam buck (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2012

For GERD "This was not effective in reducing acid. Four days after stopping Nexium and starting Protonix the heartburn started and I had to take Gaviscon. I had a 3 month supply so I kept taking it and ended up with a swollen, painful esophagus and difficulty swallowing with vomiting. I stopped taking Nexium because my insurance no longer would cover it. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2012

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For GERD "Worked at first to bring heartburn/acid re-flux under control, however I had to stop taking it because it started causing severe stomach & abdominal pain. Now control through diet & Tums EX. The pain from the Protonix side effect was terrible when it started happening."

whytegold March 31, 2012

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For GERD "I only discovered I had GERD from an endoscopy. I've always had a horrible stomach, but recently had a constant sore throat. The Protonix worked wonders! But then I noticed I was constipated and had a huge appetite. I briefly switched medicines but went back to Protonix. It was when I started taking it again and had two abdominal exams that I realized my liver was enlarged. The doctors immediately dismissed it since I've had my gallbladder removed. They said it was scar tissue. My daughter has eosinophilic colitis so I'm really just focused on her gastrointestinal care, but at my next follow up I will address the issue. I did cut out milk/dairy from my diet and that seemed to help as much as the medicine!"

Bad gut December 1, 2011

For Stomach Ulcer "Took the burn away in my stomach but made my hands and fingers swell."

Anonymous October 17, 2011

For GERD "If you don't get ahead of an attack, this pill won't work. I have been on it for years now and have had little problem with it until it didn't work one weekend so I doubled up on it and ended up in the hospital a week later with seizure due to hypomagnesia (or however you say lack of magnesium). Make sure you are getting all your electrolytes when taking proton pump inhibitors."

looking for new drugs September 17, 2011

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate