User Reviews for Protonix

Erosive Esophagitis
7.8

Summary of Protonix reviews 8.1 58 reviews

Reviews for Protonix

For GERD "Since my early twenties (I am mid 50s now) I have had great difficulty swallowing with a feeling that something was stuck in my throat, followed by esophageal spasms, followed by projectile vomiting of stomach acid. Episodes could last for up to 10 hours. I've been hospitalized several times while have sever episodes of uncontrollable spasms/vomiting for hours. I was misdiagnosed for decades, had my throat stretched by laparoscopy/balloons periodically and tried a variety of medications. Nothing helped. I was extremely underweight from not being able to eat for so many years. Finally, a doctor put me on Protonix and it was a miracle. Unbelievably life changing. My only complaint was I gained 20 lbs in the first year I was on it. I take it twice a day and can eat whatever I like with no reaction."

Jett (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 30, 2018

For Barrett's Esophagus "After a short time on protonix I began to experience back pain that radiated to the sides of my back in the kidney area. Then blood turned up in my urine both symptoms are serious side effects listed and says you should contact your dr immediately. Mdoctor told me that she couldn't say if the drug was the cause. The lesson learned -do your own research and be vigilant."

guinea pig (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2018

For GERD "I took Protonix for about a week and every time I took it, I got a severe headache every day. It did help to keep my heartburn at bay but to me, it is not worth it for the side effects. My mood dropped because of this medicine and I just did not feel like myself. I have stopped taking this medicine and I am now taking Zantac 150mg. Took effect and it is working wonders for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 28, 2018

For GERD "I would wake up coughing up fluids and constantly have acid reflux symptoms, which began to lead to swallowing issues and high anxiety. My doctor put me on pantoprazol (protonix) and I take it once every morning. 40mg. I am not someone who likes medicine and won't even take tylenol for a headache. I love my pantoprazol (protonix) and hope it continue to keep my issues away."

Bobby (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2018

For Barrett's Esophagus "I have been on this medicine for awhile and as long as I take as I'm supposed to I'm good the only side effect is a headache for the first couple of days but other than that I really like this medicine it's much better than being sick and in pain all the time"

Tinkerbell 0811 December 16, 2017

For GERD "I have had acid reflux, for 10 years. I've taken Nexium it takes my reflux a way, now insurance will not pay, so now I have to take Protonix Tabs 40mg once per day I get heart burn heart burn so bad I have to take tums 2 to 3 at a time just not happy. I must keep looking for better meds."

tAnziE1lAdy (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

For GERD "I had tried every other medicine out there, and none of them has worked for me like Protonix does. In combination with Carafate, I feel like me again. The chest pain, burping and burning has almost completely went away. No side effects at all. I highly recommend this medication.."

Baby Koala (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 23, 2017

For GERD "I've had GERD and Gastroparesis for over 10 years. Protonix is the only medicine I've found to help control the GERD. As long as I take it twice a day as instructed I do not have acid reflux."

ly2620 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 5, 2017

For GERD "I have had GERD for years now. I started out taking Prilosec, but it started making me burp a lot and it would just absolutely hurt. My doctor switched me to Protonix and that has helped so much. I take 40 mgs twice a day. I don't burp nearly as much and food doesn't creep back up and into my mouth like it did so much either. I also take Zantac at night, but it still had helped a lot even before then. It's been such a relief. I didn't get any side effects from it either. I take it 30 minutes before breakfast and 30 minutes before lunch."

Gastroparesis Girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 20, 2017

For Erosive Esophagitis "this is literally my 2nd day on protonix, and I am very happy. I will say I have experienced dizziness for about the first 2/3 minutes upon taking. I can deal with that; I am not experiencing acid reflux!!!! I have literally taken Prilosec for 6 years. I had the gastric sleeve which brings upon extreme heartburn"

Tracnicky October 7, 2016

For GERD "I have had severe Gerd/Acid Reflux for nearly 6 years. It has put me in the hospital 7 times now and has totally destroyed my teeth which I have always been meticulous about caring for. Presently, it's also causing me swallowing problems and voice troubles. The pain the Gerd can generate is an actual true "10"-Far far worse than the pain I experienced from a Quad Cardiac Bypass surgery. My doctor gave me Protonix for it and it worked Very well on reducing, perhaps, 80% of the pain. Unfortunately, the medication caused Peripheral Edema Big time and I had to go off of it again. The edema immediately went away, but the pain came back too. I have noticed this reaction from almost all proton pumps that I have tried to date."

Wagriff (taken for less than 1 month) October 6, 2016

For Erosive Esophagitis "I just started Protonix 6 days ago. I feel beat up. Does the Propofol used to do the procedure hang on for this many days? If it doesn't , then the Protonix is causing several symptoms| Lethargy Dizziness Dry mouth And last and worst is constant ringing in my ears. It's getting very annoying Has anyone else experienced this crazy ear side effect?"

Eliza Doalot July 10, 2016

For GERD "I took this medication until my HMO dropped it fron their formulary. While taking it, I felt great. I took only one a day and, if I forgot to take it or forgot to refill it before running out, I could miss a day or two without the heartburn returning. My doctor subsequently put me on Prilosec, twice a day. If I miss one, heartburn returns with a vengeance. If I miss a whole day, it takes three to five days to get the heartburn under control, again"

DublJ (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 1, 2016

For GERD "I had heartburn and a history of an ulcer so my doctor put me on Protonix and when taking it daily I feel great, however with the new information about this kind of drug being linked to dementia and also that is can cause one to be addicted to it and cause rebound acid I decided to stop it. I am on day 4 and now a mild constant burning is in my stomach and often back up to my chest. I was given them for heartburn but the doctor wrote gerd and later I developed gerd on days I tried not to take it so I am concerned about this all coming back by 10 times worse. I am looking into a natural alternative first as dementia is all around in my family and my new holistic/medical doctor says this type of drug is dangerous."

TerryTwoHearts February 22, 2016

For GERD "This was the worst medication I have ever taken. I was just prescribed this medication last week. After on it for only 2 days I stopped. Headache was unbearable. I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital to get a cat scan until I realized it was probably the protonix. Then there was the nausea they came along as well. Five days later, I'm still nauseous, but used ginger to help with that. Overall, I will never use this medicine again."

Tee85 December 17, 2015

For GERD "Unfortunately I have suffered with very serious GERD for 28 years and it has been awful. I have tried every prescription medicine out there and none of them work for me like Protonix does. I feel very close to a normal human being on this medication but none of the others lived up to Protonix. I received a horrible notice from our health insurance provider this past week and after December 31, 2015 they will no longer cover this drug. Their only suggestion for me with severe reflux is to try something else!!! I have tried EVERYTHING else on the market and nothing works but Protonix. NOTHING! I am so sick with the GERD when I am off this medicine I am pretty much house bound because I am so sick. For me it is a miracle drug!"

bordercollielover (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 14, 2015

For GERD "I was put on this medication after my insurance company stopped covering another PPI that worked well for me. I lasted one month and spent most of it popping ranitadine since anything I ate or drank caused almost immediate heartburn. By the end of the month I was vomiting. It was awful. I hated to be a pain but I called my PCP and told them I needed to go back on my previous med, which of course involved a lot of paperwork on his part. I have a friend that swears by this medication but mostly all I did was swear during the month I took it."

DonnaRNCEN September 24, 2015

For GERD "Best medicine ever! I have taken Protonix for over 5 years now with no complaints other than when I run out and have to use over the counter meds that do not work. I usually take the Protonix 1st thing in the morning. It lasts all day. There have been times I have forgotten to take it 1st thing in the morning however, no matter when I take it the pill still works within 15 minutes of being taken as if I had taken it in the morning."

D PRO (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 13, 2015

For Barrett's Esophagus "I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus six years ago, and regularly used Prilosec for the past 8 years, but I occasionally still had severe heartburn. Like the last post, I too was prescribed a higher and higher dose until I was taking 4-6 pills a day, still getting occasional heartburn. Last year I started taking only 40 mg per day of Pantoprazole, and I seldom (less than once a month when I get careless with food and/or alcohol) have had heartburn at all. I highly recommend asking your doctor about this medication, if you suffer from long term frequent heartburn and Prilosec no longer sees to work as well."

Severe Heartburn/BE (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 22, 2014

For GERD "After two days on Protonix (for GERD associated with adult-onset asthma) I ended up in the emergency room with extremely high blood pressure, fast, pounding pulse, severe headache, and severe anxiety. "

CzechChick (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2014

For Duodenal Ulcer "Caused severe muscle cramps, headaches. Took away the pain from duodenal ulcers within 3 days."

risingmoon (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 11, 2014

For Stomach Ulcer "Had the most excruciating, painful ulcers that would wake me up in the middle of the night, and be so bad that I would double over from the pain. The Dr. gave me Protonix, and I swear after just taking the first pill that first night, the symptoms were gone! The pills were so effective, I only took them for 5 nights in a row, (even though he told me to finish the bottle) and just saved the other pills in case I might need them in the future. So far the pain has only come back once, from eating too much Tabasco sauce one night, but other than that, I've not been woken up with the pain since I've taken the pills. These pills were a God send for me. Extremely effective."

Suzette1984 February 8, 2014

For Stomach Ulcer "Spent two and a half years vomiting everything but coca cola, ramen, and mashed potatoes. Had tried numerous ulcer medicines all failing miserably. Protonix made life bearable again! It actually ceased the pain!"

JenksAten (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 4, 2013

For Barrett's Esophagus "I have been using this medication almost since it came on the market. I take a dose of 50% over the maximum recommended dosage. The medication seems to have a 7-10 hours effectiveness before rebound symptoms appear. I've tried several of the other proton pump inhibitors, which were not very effective. "

GERD and barretts E (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 20, 2013

For Stomach Ulcer "Works so well I forget I have a problem until I forget to take it, then I'm reminded the next day...ugh!"

dalepmr (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2013