User Reviews for Protonix

Protonix has an average rating of 7.4 out of 10 from a total of 74 ratings on Drugs.com. 68% of those users who reviewed Protonix reported a positive effect, while 19% reported a negative effect.

GERD
Duodenal Ulcer
Summary of Protonix reviews 7.4 74 reviews

Reviews for Protonix

Diana Leberge February 1, 2021

For GERD: “I have had GERD for over 10 years now and I tried nexium otc helped but I ended up in the hospital because I had chest pain really bad. The hospital put me on cafarate and protonix it helped right away I take protonix twice a day and cafarate before every meal and at bedtime. I can eat anything I want and have no more pain in my chest. I will continue to take this medication as long as I can because I can eat anything without any pain”

Bob · Taken for less than 1 month January 20, 2021

For GERD: “My stomach really started hurting on Dec 23rd. I’ve battled reflux many times over the years. I’m 57 but not like this. I started on Pantoprazole on Monday this morning my stomach is starting to feel bit normal. I hope so as I’ve had this gnawing nausea although has gotten slightly better at times since 23rd. even few occasions like I never had it but didn’t last long. I have slight other symptoms as you all know heartburn indigestion slight feeling through but it’s the stomach that worries me anyone have any thoughts about stomach nausea I’d love to hear. And does it take the meds time to fully kick in. Thank u to everyone nothing short of GODS blessings always.”

Boopie · Taken for less than 1 month October 20, 2020

For GERD: “My GERD mainly affected my voice and was the source of mild chest pain. I started Protonix about a week ago and it's been a massive help already. I feel like I can finally breathe again. I've tried OTC drugs in the past such as omeprazole and Gaviscon, but neither helped. I'm virtually symptom-free now and have experienced no side effects.”

Pj July 21, 2020

For GERD: “I started taking protonix 40mg once daily after they took Zantac off the market. I started having a lot of stomach pain, gas, bloating, and watery diarrhea. It took me a while to figure out it was the protonix. I stopped taking it and replaced it with Pepcid complete once a day. Almost immediately those symptoms went away. I would be very careful taking this drug.”

Hotshot · Taken for 1 to 6 months October 4, 2020

For GERD: “I have GERD. I couldn't eat anything. I was give protonix by the ER. Pain stopped I changed my diet drastically and slowly weaned myself from Protonix. Prior to this I tried Zantac, Nexium and Prilosec however I choose not to take these meds anymore and stick to my diet of low fat, low carb, no salt, no sugar and no fast, frozen or processed foods and I have lost weight and feel great with no pain. I also avoid smoke. when I was first prescribed these medication I didn't like any of them. I don't feel it's a good idea to inhibit the bodies natural processes so I make better food choices”

Noodle · Taken for 1 to 6 months January 16, 2019

For GERD: “I have had acid reflux disease for four years. I tried prilosec. I lost thirty pounds to try to help my reflux, I changed my diet, and I took an extreme amount of rolaids. Nothing worked and I was miserable. Finally got my GP to listen and put me on this stuff after a family member recommendation. It is wonderful. It is like I never had reflux to begin with. It helped me get my life back. My only concern is the side-effects for long term use seem scary. But if I don't treat the reflux, I will end up with barrett's esophagus, which puts me between a rock and a hard place.”

MsS · Taken for 1 to 6 months May 17, 2020

For GERD: “I took this for about 2 and a half months. Half way through I told my Dr it wasn't working. He said I was under stress. Not. Then I developed a hot, itchy rash on my arms and face. They told me to stop taking it and start Nexium. I didn't because to me they seem to have the same risk. Being off Protonix is almost as bad as being on it. Terrible acid reflux. I am sleeping sitting up, I can't eat very much, I can hardly wake up and start falling asleep around 7 PM and I have had a headache off and on for 3 days. Going to an Internal Medicine Specialist next because I’d like to know the reason for the reflux I have had for 1.5 years not just take a medication.”

Laurie · Taken for 10 years or more April 27, 2020

For Barrett's Esophagus: “After starting with OTC drugs for acid reflux for several years, it was necessary for me to begin a prescription drug. I have taken Pantaprozole for over 10 years with no side effects. Works very well.”

Suzette1984 February 8, 2014

For Stomach Ulcer: “Had the most excruciating, painful ulcers that would wake me up in the middle of the night, and be so bad that I would double over from the pain. The Dr. gave me Protonix, and I swear after just taking the first pill that first night, the symptoms were gone! The pills were so effective, I only took them for 5 nights in a row, (even though he told me to finish the bottle) and just saved the other pills in case I might need them in the future. So far the pain has only come back once, from eating too much Tabasco sauce one night, but other than that, I've not been woken up with the pain since I've taken the pills. These pills were a God send for me. Extremely effective.”

Beanie · Taken for 5 to 10 years October 30, 2018

For GERD: “I've been on Protonix for about 6 years and, to put it simply, it works perfectly for me without any side effects. If I don't take it I have constant, severe heartburn (I have a hiatal hernia, gastritis, and GERD that resulted from an h.pylori infection that went undetected for what I assume is several years). When I do take it, I can eat literally anything and not get heartburn.”

CzechChick · Taken for less than 1 month June 22, 2014

For GERD: “After two days on Protonix (for GERD associated with adult-onset asthma) I ended up in the emergency room with extremely high blood pressure, fast, pounding pulse, severe headache, and severe anxiety. ”

rv Rob April 16, 2013

For GERD: “I have taken for about 7 years now. I never had stomach problems but got what they thought was an ulcer, later endoscopy showed no ulcer, but signs of Barrett's esophagus. I also had hoarse voice, especially in the morning. Ph study pointed to GERD. Long story short, no more hoarseness. Subsequent scopes show no signs of esophagus damage. Now for the bad. Very rarely, when I eat fast, I do get choking sensations that I did not ever have before. Also, if I run out of the medicine and/or miss a dose or two, wicked bad heartburn. Never had heartburn before. As long as I stay on it I am good. ”

Les · Taken for 1 to 6 months June 10, 2020

For Peptic Ulcer: “I’ve been on Protonix for 3 months now after suffering a rupture in my stomach from an ulcer, it has drastically changed my body in a good way. The gastrointestinal perforation I had almost finished me off and I spent 14 days in the hospital, my surgeon put me on protonix pretty much right while I was in the recovery, I’m not sure about side effects because I haven’t experienced any, but this little pill has help me by healing my ulcers and controlling the acid in my gut, this stuff is basically saving my life.”

Jenny · Taken for 6 months to 1 year October 7, 2018

For GERD: “I have both IBS and Gastritis. Protonix has been a complete game changer for me. Without it I have chronic nausea, difficulties tolerating food, vomiting, low energy and headache. My days were very difficult prior to being prescribed this med. I feel incredibly better.”

bordercollielover · Taken for 2 to 5 years November 14, 2015

For GERD: “Unfortunately I have suffered with very serious GERD for 28 years and it has been awful. I have tried every prescription medicine out there and none of them work for me like Protonix does. I feel very close to a normal human being on this medication but none of the others lived up to Protonix. I received a horrible notice from our health insurance provider this past week and after December 31, 2015 they will no longer cover this drug. Their only suggestion for me with severe reflux is to try something else!!! I have tried EVERYTHING else on the market and nothing works but Protonix. NOTHING! I am so sick with the GERD when I am off this medicine I am pretty much house bound because I am so sick. For me it is a miracle drug!”

Blue · Taken for 1 to 6 months November 12, 2018

For Barrett's Esophagus: “Do NOT use this medication. This medication caused me to have drug induced lupus. Three months after stopping this medication and still dealing with daily affects of this drug. There have been warnings issued by the FDA regarding the dangers of PPIs and the negative side effects. This drug is not safe in my opinion.”

Severe Heartburn/BE · Taken for 1 to 2 years September 22, 2014

For Barrett's Esophagus: “I was diagnosed with Barrett's Esophagus six years ago, and regularly used Prilosec for the past 8 years, but I occasionally still had severe heartburn. Like the last post, I too was prescribed a higher and higher dose until I was taking 4-6 pills a day, still getting occasional heartburn. Last year I started taking only 40 mg per day of Pantoprazole, and I seldom (less than once a month when I get careless with food and/or alcohol) have had heartburn at all. I highly recommend asking your doctor about this medication, if you suffer from long term frequent heartburn and Prilosec no longer sees to work as well.”

whytegold March 31, 2012

For GERD: “Worked at first to bring heartburn/acid re-flux under control, however I had to stop taking it because it started causing severe stomach & abdominal pain. Now control through diet & Tums EX. The pain from the Protonix side effect was terrible when it started happening.”

Moosemomma June 25, 2020

For Erosive Esophagitis: “On Protonix only two days , feel 100% better from my erosive esophagitis. I couldn’t swallow cause if the pain and the gnawing pain between the breastbone killed me . Ended up in the ER ( many) times . This med helped so much !!!”

TerryTwoHearts February 22, 2016

For GERD: “I had heartburn and a history of an ulcer so my doctor put me on Protonix and when taking it daily I feel great, however with the new information about this kind of drug being linked to dementia and also that is can cause one to be addicted to it and cause rebound acid I decided to stop it. I am on day 4 and now a mild constant burning is in my stomach and often back up to my chest. I was given them for heartburn but the doctor wrote gerd and later I developed gerd on days I tried not to take it so I am concerned about this all coming back by 10 times worse. I am looking into a natural alternative first as dementia is all around in my family and my new holistic/medical doctor says this type of drug is dangerous.”

Steph · Taken for 5 to 10 years February 24, 2019

For GERD: “I started on Zantac and it just stopped working for me. I've been taking this pill for years and it does wonders! I have 0 noticable side effects. Its important to take it both every day and before you eat or it is not as effective.”

Eliza Doalot July 10, 2016

For Erosive Esophagitis: “I just started Protonix 6 days ago. I feel beat up. Does the Propofol used to do the procedure hang on for this many days? If it doesn't , then the Protonix is causing several symptoms| Lethargy Dizziness Dry mouth And last and worst is constant ringing in my ears. It's getting very annoying Has anyone else experienced this crazy ear side effect?”

jburk July 19, 2010

For Barrett's Esophagus: “I was on Prilosec for about 9 years for acid reflux. For me it was a miracle drug that gave me relief for acid reflux. My dosage was continually increased till I was taking 4 20mg pills a day (probably a problem with my acid reflux increasing). After having more problems, I had an endoscopy which showed I had Barrett's Esophagus. I was prescribed Protonix (2 x 40mg pills/day). So far Protonix has worked great. For me it works better than the Prilosec did.”

Releived March 31, 2008

For Erosive Esophagitis: “Started off with the "Purple Pill" effective but very expensive. Physician switched me to "Pantoprazole" (Protonix) - just as effective, a fraction of the price. My diet slipped back to pre-med carelessness (spicy food, garlic, onions, curries &c and STILL no problems. I did go back to sensible eating at the urging of my daughter!”

Jett · Taken for 2 to 5 years May 30, 2018

For GERD: “Since my early twenties (I am mid 50s now) I have had great difficulty swallowing with a feeling that something was stuck in my throat, followed by esophageal spasms, followed by projectile vomiting of stomach acid. Episodes could last for up to 10 hours. I've been hospitalized several times while have sever episodes of uncontrollable spasms/vomiting for hours. I was misdiagnosed for decades, had my throat stretched by laparoscopy/balloons periodically and tried a variety of medications. Nothing helped. I was extremely underweight from not being able to eat for so many years. Finally, a doctor put me on Protonix and it was a miracle. Unbelievably life changing. My only complaint was I gained 20 lbs in the first year I was on it. I take it twice a day and can eat whatever I like with no reaction.”

Tee85 December 17, 2015

For GERD: “This was the worst medication I have ever taken. I was just prescribed this medication last week. After on it for only 2 days I stopped. Headache was unbearable. I thought I was gonna have to go to the hospital to get a cat scan until I realized it was probably the protonix. Then there was the nausea they came along as well. Five days later, I'm still nauseous, but used ginger to help with that. Overall, I will never use this medicine again.”

looking for new drugs September 17, 2011

For GERD: “If you don't get ahead of an attack, this pill won't work. I have been on it for years now and have had little problem with it until it didn't work one weekend so I doubled up on it and ended up in the hospital a week later with seizure due to hypomagnesia (or however you say lack of magnesium). Make sure you are getting all your electrolytes when taking proton pump inhibitors.”

guinea pig · Taken for 1 to 6 months April 19, 2018

For Barrett's Esophagus: “After a short time on protonix I began to experience back pain that radiated to the sides of my back in the kidney area. Then blood turned up in my urine both symptoms are serious side effects listed and says you should contact your dr immediately. Mdoctor told me that she couldn't say if the drug was the cause. The lesson learned -do your own research and be vigilant.”