User Reviews for Dexilant

Learn more about Dexilant.

Erosive Esophagitis 10 reviews 108 medications

9.5
Barrett's Esophagus 12 reviews 13 medications

9.1
GERD 76 reviews 225 medications

7.3
Summary of Dexilant reviews 98 reviews 8.6

Reviews for Dexilant

For Barrett's Esophagus "I've been taking Dexilant for about eight years. I've tried the other drugs for this diagnosis. Without Dexilant, the pain from acid reflux is so excruciating it has nearly brought me to my knees. I'm on Medicare and pay $100 a month for this drug, but it's worth every penny."

Saoirse1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2016

For GERD "The medicine has helped my indigestion pain but it has caused bloating, stomach cramps, and diarrhea."

Jennifer Marie August 8, 2016

For GERD "My experience has been better than my preexisting condition. I was prescribed a 25 day dose of Dexilant in order to treat some possible ulcers and gastritis in my intestines. I was having severe abdominal pain. A week in, the medicine had treated the pain quite effectively. I only get mild cramping now and then. I have experienced some side effects, including diarrhea, back pain, and a slight irregular heartbeat. However, it has mitigated the stomach pain quite well, and my symptoms seem to be slowly improving. Good for short term treatment, but I wouldn't recommend long term treatment (at least for ulcers or gastritis) due to side effects."

Pinking June 29, 2016

For GERD "I 've had severe acid reflux for 15 years. tried every ppi out there. Several years ago I was prescribed Dexilant 60 mg once daily. I thought it worked very well. Then, adverse effects came in such as leg,hand and feet cramping. I developed headaches , and my magnesium level is at 0.5 critical at this point. I was hospitalized two days ago with severe muscle cramps in my back. thought it was kidney stones. I have not been able to move freely and my quality of life has changed dramatically. I have been prescribed Valium 40mg a day to be able to sleep and move around. If someone had told me that this drug would cause these effects in the future, I PROMISE you I would never have taken it to start. there is a dependency issue too."

SCFP June 28, 2016

For GERD "I have severe acid reflex for the past 10 years and always have struggled finding relief until I found this medication back when it was called Kapidex, the name was changed because it sounded to much like the medication Aciphex. I started off taking over the counter medication, then went on to Prevacid when it was prescription at a very high dose. The beauty of this medication, unlike most other medications in the same category, when taken it begins to work and usually works for me longer than 24 hours, so if I miss a dose I do not have to worry my stomach will hurt and have diarrhea. The only downside to this medication and others like it is the depletion of calcium in the bones making a broken bone easier to obtain."

Foxtrotz (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 24, 2016

For GERD "I have been taking Prilosec for years but noticed that lately it doesn't seem to be as effective. I went to a new GE who gave me samples of Dexilant to try. I took one 60 mg pill yesterday afternoon and in the middle of the night I developed horrible muscle cramping in my lower back and legs that had me in tears. I couldn't get out of bed all day today and when I finally got up and ate a little bit I developed painful abdominal cramping and explosive diarrhea. It has been going on for hours now. All of this after one dose! I rarely ever have problems with side effects of medications. I will NEVER take this stuff again! I just wish I had tried the doctor's samples for a few days before I picked up the prescription."

Crzycatlady (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2016

For GERD "I personally had a terrible experience with Dexilant. I have acid reflux and an eroded esophagus, and my GI recommended that I take Dexilant to help lessen my conditions because no other PPIs were working thus far. Dexilant seemed to help my acid reflux, but after a few weeks of being on it, I found myself becoming extremely anxious and depressed. I was crying all the time and having multiple panic attacks every week and sometimes multiple every day. This is the lowest I have ever been, and for months I thought I was going crazy. The moment I realized Dexilant was causing my emotional problems, I got off of it. However, the side effects took several months to dissipate. I would not recommend Dexilant to anyone."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 31, 2016

For GERD "Taking for GERD after throat surgery. Has quelled my heartburn more effectively than any OTC I've taken in years. Most noticeable side effects are constant, constant gas (!!!) and lots of stomach growling if I hold it in. Feel like I'm having more frequent and more urgent BM's as well. Also, an expensive med! That being said, it works well."

Frank Slonk April 25, 2016

For GERD "I somehow contracted h-pylori. This bacteria cause damage to my stomach lining. As a result I began to suffer from serve burning in my stmach & everything I ate gave me heartburn & acid reflux. After seeing a gastro doctor put me on a Dexilant (60mg). It was a life saver. I don't get the burning feeling in my stomach & no refux which was starting to damage my esophagus. My insurance pays a portion of the cost. Then I went to the Dexilant website in which they offer a program for reduced cost. I pay $20 a month for a pill that allows me to eat without suffering. I have had no side effects from this medication. I been taking Dexilant for 6 years everyday. If I miss a day it still works but I can't go longer than 2 days without it."

Julesjohn April 16, 2016

For GERD "First treatment to effectively stop my heart burn and reflux in more than a year."

Veritasmama (taken for less than 1 month) April 2, 2016

For GERD "....kinda ran out of room so this is a 2nd post,hope that's ok. Anyone suffering from cramps, diarrhea, bloating, emergencies, after taking this medication should read: I have gotten a dairy allergy after using this medicine, I would highly recom- Mend total withdrawal of dairy if you have had a similar experience. I've been dealing with these side effects for 10 months and tried various things. I assumed it had just aggravated my IBS as symptoms slowly subsided yet after a vacation with too much Rich restauraunt food, symptoms ( 3am emergency waking, constant cramps, ect.) returned. Only after total removal of dairy Am I kind of back to normal, I am able to access medical cannabis living in Canada which can drop 4-6 movements/ to1-2 day!"

Canna cure (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2016

For GERD "Dexilant caused diarrhea / IBS / Dairy allergy- I was prescribed it for severe heartburn /hiatus hernia/ stomach inflam. and it helped a lot. I stopped taking dexilant 10 months ago due to severe diarrhea, cramps,nausea, bile, waking in middle of night with cramps and 1/2 hour painfull diarrhea / constipation combo /awfull cramps, gas- what I've read on this thread I'm not alone. I hate to tell those who recently started this that have had these issues with dexilant and 10 months off this poison and I'm still suffering. I now have a dairy allergy, only after removing dairy from my diet are my severe symptoms relieved. I eat any dairy and I'm sick again for 2-3 days. Existing IBS is worse than before, now a daily struggle. "

Canna cu (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 20, 2016

For Barrett's Esophagus "Have had Barrett's esophagus for 15 years. After numerous other drugs, primarily Prilosec, Nexium and Prevacid, my doctor changed me to Dexilant. It works much better than the rest. Prilosec and Nexium both caused headaches and diarrhea. Some say Dexilant is the same medicine, but I have no side effects at all while taking it. Last endoscopy showed Barrett's is mostly healed. Great results!"

Gabuilder (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2016

For GERD "I was prescribed dexilant for a possible ulcer which caused nausea. It may have helped the nausea a little but not much. After taking it for a few months, I got severe diarrhea and cramping. I was not able to leave my apartment or go to work - the diarrhea was uncontrollable. I have never had diarrhea this bad before. I realized it was probably dexilant causing the diarrhea and cramping today after searching on the Internet for side effects. I doubt it is anything other than the dexilant. Hopefully the diarrhea and cramping will subside fairly quickly."

Jc in BC Canada February 17, 2016

For GERD "I have been taking Dexilant for a week now. Before taking Dexilant I was taking up to 3 pills a day for my ulcers. I feel it has changed my life, now after I eat I no longer have to lie down due to pain & my stomach pain has disappeared. I can now do normal everyday things again with pain & I got my life back. I have no side affects from taking this medication & now I take 1 pill a day & I'm happy."

Furlong January 31, 2016

For GERD "Worked well for GERD but could not continue to take it. After about a week .. I got diarrhea what would not stop. Even had a few accidents upon sneezing. Other PPI's did not do this ... and cost much less. No thank you."

Sandy MM (taken for less than 1 month) January 24, 2016

For GERD "When I was around 17 I started having severe stomach pain and reflux. I went through multiple test and many medications that did not stop the reflux nor the pain. I got to the point I was unable to eat anything without difficulty. I finally went to a GI specialist that found I had a condition that caused by a virus in my system that had caused my white cell to attack my stomach and ended up eating the nerve endings in my stomach and that was causing severe GERD. He placed me on Dexilant and this helped to control the pain and the reflux so I was able to start living a normal life for a 18 year old going off to college. My mother had to fight with insurance many times to have it covered and even now they still threaten to stop. Miracle drug."

H M C January 9, 2016

For GERD "Hi I was having difficulty swallowing solids and heartburn was on nexus for 2 1/2 weeks and my symptoms were actually getting worse ...2 days on dexilant 60(mg) and I feel like a miracle has happened ...dexilant is like a miracle pill!!!"

Anonymous December 25, 2015

For GERD "WORKED for my GERD......BUT I had not done my homework and mistakenly thought (since it's flu season) that the raging flu symptoms I had for 3 weeks in a row were just bad luck - I had caught them ALL! one right after another! NO! Most noteable symptom is screaming burning diarrhea but seriously.....I've been off it a week and up all night again tonight with diarrhea because I ate today. This is awful. When will my gut be back to normal....? I'm taking probiotic acidophlus and cheap previously reliable anti-diarrhea pills, no relief! One month now without a solid stool, this can't be good, calling the Dr on Monday since stopping the med has not corrected the problem."

juliespuppies (taken for less than 1 month) December 12, 2015

For Erosive Esophagitis "The drug works well, what really gives me the heartburn is the cost, but it works"

RDY November 8, 2015

For GERD "I have been on Dexilant for a month now and no relief at all. I have not been given a diagnosis yet as I am still having tests. I have severe chest and throat discomfort and burp constantly . I feel terrible and am worried the acid is damaging my esophagus. ."

mistyphae October 22, 2015

For GERD "My doctor gave me a sample of this medication after a couple years of stomach problems. I've tried Zantac and tums, nothing seemed to work. I took one of these capsules, and didn't touch another one. It's now been a week and I can drink apple Juice with no problems at all ! :)"

Trentg69686 (taken for less than 1 month) October 20, 2015

For GERD "I have acid reflux caused as a side effect from a cancer medicine I can't stop taking yet. I have tried several GERD treatments, Dexilant is the only one that makes me feel "normal." I have been on it for 60 days and have developed a constant, dull headache and intermittent SEVERE leg cramps (more like seizures as the muscles become rigid and inflexible). I would rather have the reflux symptoms than the sleep disruption and pain. Additionally, my insurance only pays $15.00 toward it and dexilant "never pay more than $20" coupon brings it down to $170.00 a month."

JustLB October 18, 2015

For Erosive Esophagitis "This is literally the only medicine after trying many for multiple years that works and works within a few days it literally changed my life"

morgan320i September 11, 2015

For GERD "Good Morning Everyone I am sacred that I am dying, the Dr's tell me I'm not but my intuition and my body are telling me different. I have been suffering from acid reflux for a few yrs now not knowing it because I don't have acid coming back up or gas or any other usual symptoms. The symptoms for me is my breathing is getting increasingly more difficult and wheezing non stop and persistant coughing with constant chest infections because my lungs are drowning in fluid. This is how I was told I have Gerd .. Dr put me on Dexilant 60mg daily, have been on now for 7 days feel nothing .. no change what so ever except extreme shoulders and upper back pain cannot raise my arms to put a shirt on without it bringing tears. I'm 53 yrs young."

Sparkplug24 September 4, 2015