User Reviews for Dexilant

The following information is NOT intended to endorse drugs or recommend therapy. While these reviews might be helpful, they are not a substitute for the expertise, skill, knowledge and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. Learn more about Dexilant.

Erosive Esophagitis
9.6

Barrett's Esophagus

GERD
6.9

Summary of Dexilant reviews 8.5 122 reviews

Reviews for Dexilant

For GERD "Received samples from Dr's office to last for 1 month. My symptoms were stomach pain, heartburn and excessive burping for around 5 days before getting an appointment. Within 2 days all the symptoms described above were 90 percent better but almost from day 2 I started having very soft stools which could turn to loose stools later in day. Not uncommon to have 4-5 bowel movements in a day. Starting with week 4 I started feeling burning sensations in my back and the stomach pain and burping returned although has been to a lesser degree. I do not intend to take anymore and will explore other options with Dr. Do your research on PPI's they can act as a mask for more serious issues."

Harvey24 (taken for less than 1 month) December 11, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "This seemed to control my stomach discomfort. I don’t have typical reflux symptoms, but have been on PPIs (Nexium)for 5+ years because it helps control the pain in my stomach. I switched to Dexilant because I was still uncomfortable on Nexium. Immediate side effects were mostly cramping. After being on Dexilant for about 6 weeks, I started feeling brief, strange sensations all over my body. It felt like pin pricks, or a zing here or there in my arms, hands, legs, face, or scalp. Two weeks later those sensations have intensified. Instead of lasting a few seconds and going away or a while, numerous sensations occur again and again. I am scratching even though it doesn’t really itch. I stopped taking the drug as a result."

35 year old woman (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Barrett's Esophagus "Have heartburn without it. Only one that works. Been on it for 15 years. Dexilant the last 6 years."

Anonymous November 2, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "Well, I'm new to this. Just had an esophagogastroduodenoscopy or EGD and was told after having problems for 20 years. That I have a very large Hietal Hernia and Eosinophilic Easophagitis and it would be helpful if I had the Hernia fixed by surgery and to start 60mg of Dexilant daily. The second day on meds and no GERD or choking which is one of my issues. Called RX line for help paying for it, instead of having to pay $260.00 I pay $39.95 a month. At least until I have the surgery. Hopefully with surgery I will be able to get off of if."

LoveGOD (taken for less than 1 month) October 25, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I have a hiatal hernia and GERD and this has been the only medicine that allows me to eat and keep it down. I can tell when I forget my pill."

Tiriabnegitcha October 18, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I had a bad experience with this drug. I have taken Zegrid for years and felt like I may need something stronger. My doctor gave me Dexilant 30 mg samples to try. I experienced nausea, body aches, stomach pain, gas and excessive burping. On second thought, I will keep using Zegrid! After one day of stopping this medicine, my symptoms went away."

LL27 October 12, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "First week in to taking this drug was perfect. Second week onwards I suffered from nausea, fatigue, body ache, diarrhea, etc... I would recommend to stop this medication once side effects kick in. Other side effects I experienced were stomach ache, feeling weak and feeling uncomfortable swallowing food."

Shehada (taken for less than 1 month) September 8, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "Was getting bad acid reflux within minutes of eating. After my EGD showed ulcers and inflammation my doctor put me on Dexilant 60 and within 2 days it was gone. My follow-up EGD showed no signs of ulcers, though I still have gastritis."

lz30 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 6, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "It all started well but about 3 days into the process of taking Dexilant 60mg once a day, all hell broke loose. I had explosive diarrhea and also had the feeling of wanting to vomit. I stopped taking the meds. After my endo and colonoscopy, my Gastroenterologist returned me to a lower 30mg dose. I already had my misgivings on the meds but as a good patient followed my Gastroenterologist's prescription. Right on the first dose I again experienced loose bowel movement as in every 15 to 20 minutes of watery discharge. I also immediately felt weak. This med gave such an adversed side effect that I decided not to take it anymore whatever wrath comes when I see my GE again. Plus it is very expensive."

Jeffrey Tan June 7, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I've taken Dexilant for 3 years and have had excellent results with no real side effects. Before that I was on Nexium for 8 years, but for some reason it became less effective for me and I ended up with serious esophagaitis (complicated by hiatal hernia). My doctor took me off Nexium, and I tried to survive for about 6 months on OTC antacids and modified diet. This did not work...I changed gastroenterologists and the new one prescribed Dexilant. It has worked very well for me ever since. My only issue has been stomach gas, not sure if that is a side effect or not. I also have to limit certain foods like onion, garlic, and similar "gassy" foods. The GERD is well controlled now, bottom line."

SnoopDave (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 29, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I have severe stomach issues, acid reflux, hiatal hernia and could not remember a day without indigestion non stop. Also just diagnosed with celiac disease. I had endoscopy and Dr put me in Dexilant 60 mg per day. After battle with insurance went from $360 to $60 with my insurance. I took it and was amazed no more indigestion or acid reflux. I was so happy but about a week or less into beginning this I am now hurting all over especially in my arms, chest and back. At first thought was getting the flu. Nothing helps with pain. Over the counter or prescription pain meds...nothing is helping. Was so sick one day last week could not go to work. Been searching online to see if the Dexilant is causing this and wondering how dangerous it might be"

RaggedyAnn211 (taken for less than 1 month) April 3, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Barrett's Esophagus "I have weight loss surgery and was told my GERD would be cured after my surgery. Well they lied and it's actually worse. Dexilant is the only med that takes the edge off. However, it is so expensive. When I was on Obama care I paid over $300 a month for it. However, I have no choice but to take it or not eat. It's always a fight with me insurance company. I wish they would make a generic or make it cheaper. Hoping it is helping my barrettes esophagus so I don't get cancer."

AmandaNZacha (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 13, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I had endoscopy Thanks Goodness its not an ulcer or H.pylori. Since diagnosed with mild gastritis but then doctor gave me Dexilant, domperidone and Gaviscon . Its compulsory to take Dexilant everyday for 2 weeks , but then I had nausea all day, diarrhea 3-4 times a day, my body getting weak and no appetite, its getting worse in the office due to the side effect . After 10 days , I stopped. I could not take it anymore although nurse asking me to continue it. The day after, I could eat without having nausea anymore, I don't even need to go bathroom every time everyday. If you experience same thing like me, STOP it because your body has rejected and caused weak, body aches and cramps, nausea diarrhea. Trust me"

ria winata (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I know some people of had terrible experiences with this medication I however have had phenomenal results. Within my GERD had greatly subsided. I'm down to taking it every other day and I have had no problems whatsoever. I've tried everything else and nothing else worked."

Deb2234 February 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "This stuff is really awful. Within a week tore my bicep, Hands felt like cerebral palsy set in. Absolutely the worst medicine I have ever taken!!! Beware beware beware!!!"

James Bond 2000000 January 28, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I am really an odd duck on this site! I had no stomach problems what so ever when I began taking Dexilant. I had been diagnosed with RA and were starting the RA regiment of drugs. My doc thought it might be wise to put a layer between those drugs and my stomach lining. All went along fine until we changed insurance companies and the new one would not pay for Dexilant. Now I have problems. At first my doc wrote to the insurance company to appeal their decision about Dexilant. While we waited he kept giving me samples to hold me over. Now out, nausea horrible. Test after test reveals nothing. Thanks"

BumperPoolChamp January 5, 2017

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "After years of nsaids use and no stomach protection, my stomach was in such pain. I felt like I litteraly had the Alien digging out. It was so painful I writhed in pain pleading to just die already. This lasted for four years and worsened and seemed to age me from the stress of it, even smelling something spicy set her off, burning with acid indigestion to the point I couldn't breathe after associated with severe bloating and a painful lump that I swore was a tumor hanging on my stomach ( hence the Alien ). After several test, all neg except anemia, poss. Mild blockage resolved and Linzess meds, IBSC or CIC. So I'm going to go Paleo diet. Still bloating up. But almost pain free for two weeks after years."

Mouseinthe house (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "Nothing worked for me until my doctor gave me samples of Dexilant. I had tried everything over the years. My world changed, the pain went away, and I have no side effects. I know it's very expensive and I have to get authorization from my insurance company, but it's well worth it. I wouldn't be able to function on a daily basis without it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "Dexilant works for my acid reflux but sometimes loose stool and sometimes I just feel like I have to go to the bathroom. I had gallbladder surgery a couple years ago sometimes still have upset stomach. I was on Prilosec I was I had stayed on the Prilosec. I had two colonoscopy and two upper GI endoscopy and in September I had a upper GI imagery study on my stomach all my test came back negative. I have a gastroenterology appointment on Dec 7th."

Milltime November 24, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "started 2 weeks ago with this dexilant, ever since then my symtoms got worse, dizzy, stomach and lower back pain, hard to swallow food, passing gas and burping a lot more. Would not recommend this drug to my enemy. If I knew what this drug did for me that made it worse I would of not taken it. Worst drug on the market, and they want $300.00for a month for this pill, NO WAY. Not me. No wonder why my insurance would not cover it. Believe me if you are taking it and feel more sick then you did, STOP TAKING IT. With a few days when the drug gets out of your system you will feel better and you will not have to see dr or keep going to hospital and they find nothing wrong with you."

Duane Hawkins (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "The most horrible drug I ever took.. Went to the bathroom nonstop, food allergies, difficulty swallowing, severe headache, fatigue, muscle aches anxiety, ibs bloating, weight loss such a terrible expierenced.."

Laila212 October 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I have been taking Dexilant 60 mg for more than 3 years after taking Nexium for 9 years for GERD. The Nexium quit working so I went on the Dexilant and it saved my life. I started with one every 3 days, then every 2 days and once a day now. I had some anxiety attacks last spring and did not think it had anything to do with this drug. After reading some of the comments it is possible, but has been ok all summer. I am 60 and rode a motorcycle from Seattle to Los Angles in July and traveled Europe in August and Sept. with no acid reflux problems. Just back in Florida after a trip to Vegas and can eat or drink anything. No problems with alcohol, milk or spicy food. Without it I am up all night eating Tums every hour. Good Luck!"

PTF September 30, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "I was prescribed this for GERD caused by gastroparesis. After 1 week I developed severe abdominal pain, diarrhea, gas and vomiting. I also felt short of breath, anxious and dizzy. I stopped this medicine and will never take again. I would not recommend this medicine to anyone ever. Wish I could give it a 0."

KyKellyK (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For GERD "So I have been struggling with heartburn Prilosec was working sometime but not all the time. Dr prescribed me dexilant! Took it for the first time yesterday. Only been one day I know but I truly think this is the devil drug. Heartburn was gone BUT the side effects are worse. Terrible stomach cramps all night and woke up with diaherra. Couldn't even go to work. Will not take no more of this. I only got it for $20 bc of coupon."

Kf tired (taken for less than 1 month) September 1, 2016

Did you? Yes  No  |  Report inappropriate

For Barrett's Esophagus "I've been taking Dexilant for about eight years. I've tried the other drugs for this diagnosis. Without Dexilant, the pain from acid reflux is so excruciating it has nearly brought me to my knees. I'm on Medicare and pay $100 a month for this drug, but it's worth every penny."

Saoirse1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 16, 2016